South Beach Diet - coffee creamers??

View Full Version : coffee creamers??

ADAGIRL
01-30-2008, 12:15 PM
I am a big coffee drinker and I have questions about creamers. I drink 2- 16oz cups of reg coffee in the morning and 2- 16oz decaf. at night. Unfortunately, I need my coffee to be light and sweet.:o I have always used splenda and CoffeeMate FF hazelnut creamer (4g sugar). I really need to know if this is ok for me to use. I know we can use FF half and half even though it does contain corn surup. (2gr sugar)

femmecreole
01-30-2008, 12:30 PM
I use skim milk in mine...I drink a LOT of coffee with chicory and need that milk in it!
4gr of sugar is way too much. Splenda makes a hazelnut sweetener that is good...try that and some skim milk. (they also have other flavors) you can also get other SF sweeteners in bottles that have flavors (like they have at coffee shops like starbucks etc). I got a caramel one the other day (monin o'free brand) from a coffee shop that is really good and a gingerbread one from starbucks during the holidays. They both sold me a "fifth" of the syrup.

beachgal
01-30-2008, 01:33 PM
Sadly, ADAgirl, there aren't any coffee "creamers" that are SBD-safe, at least none that I know of. Even if you get past the crazy amounts of sugar (and it's usually the horrifying high fructose corn syrup :fr: ), they almost always have tons of trans fat (look for the word "hydrogenated" in the ingredients). Obviously, in a tiny serving, you're not getting much of either, but those tiny servings add up (and boy do they add up! :( ) over time and are just plain unhealthy for you, even if you weren't on SBD. Sorry...I think that kind of ended up sounding like a lecture! :o I didn't mean that to happen...jumping off of my soapbox now... :soap:

I'm the same as you when it comes to coffee! I use what's there, depending on what has the least saturated fat. I usually use 1% milk at home or the Fat Free Half n Half (which doesn't have the best ingredients either...). In restaurants, I'll use regular half n half sometimes, but if I can get it, I go for the 2% or skim milk. I read an article that said that dark coffee tastes dramatically different (and more pleasant!) after it reacts with the fats in cream. I love dark coffee, so I usually go for something with some fat--skim isn't that pleasant for me. :shrug:

When I'm at home or at a fancy coffee place, I use/ask for flavored syrup (Dunkin Donuts flavors are sugar free and yummmm-mmy!). In other places, you can carry the flavored Splenda (comes in four flavors, I think?). Hope that helps! :D

liamylime
01-30-2008, 03:33 PM
I use either FF half & half or plain silk (soy) creamer in my coffee. I've mostly been drinking tea lately - I don't mind that black, with some lemon.

ADAGIRL
01-30-2008, 06:58 PM
:(DARN!!.... coffee with skim milk just really takes the joy out of coffee for me! I have tried to get used to it in the past and it just tastes like watered down coffee to me. I will really miss that treat!! I do love the dark coffees. Well ladies, thank you so much for setting me straight. I kept thinking that this was a no no, but it seemed like such a small thing:cry: . Thank you beachgal for getting on your soapbox and setting me straight. I love that you all are going through some of the same things and can relate!! I have had my last cup of coffee with coffeemate. I am going to treat myself to a couple of those yummy sf surups though.

femmecreole
01-30-2008, 07:23 PM
Adagirl, I'm with you on the coffee...it has to be rich and strong for me. I use CDM coffee (http://www.cafedumonde.com/) with chicory and it is still VERY rich even with skim milk added. If you start with a really good coffee, then it won't taste like brown water when you add the skim milk. I promise...I am VERY picky about my coffee.

TechieGrrl09
01-30-2008, 11:21 PM
Please don't get grossed out at this suggestion, but...
what about using some fat free condensed milk? The nutritional info looks like it might be ok for the SB diet.
Serving Size 2 Tbsp http://www.verybestbaking.com/graphics/products/carnation/nutrition_bar.gif Amount Per Serving http://www.verybestbaking.com/graphics/products/carnation/nutrition_bar.gif Calories 25 http://www.verybestbaking.com/graphics/products/carnation/nutrition_bar.gif Calories from Fat 0 http://www.verybestbaking.com/graphics/products/carnation/nutrition_bar.gif
% Daily Value* http://www.verybestbaking.com/graphics/products/carnation/nutrition_bar.gif Total Fat 0g
0% http://www.verybestbaking.com/graphics/products/carnation/nutrition_bar.gif Saturated Fat 0g 0% http://www.verybestbaking.com/graphics/products/carnation/nutrition_bar.gif Trans Fat 0g http://www.verybestbaking.com/graphics/products/carnation/nutrition_bar.gif Cholesterol 0mg 0% http://www.verybestbaking.com/graphics/products/carnation/nutrition_bar.gif Sodium 40mg 2% http://www.verybestbaking.com/graphics/products/carnation/nutrition_bar.gif Potassium 110mg 3% http://www.verybestbaking.com/graphics/products/carnation/nutrition_bar.gif Total Carb.4g 1% http://www.verybestbaking.com/graphics/products/carnation/nutrition_bar.gif Sugars 4g
http://www.verybestbaking.com/graphics/products/carnation/nutrition_bar.gif Protein 2g 5%

TechieGrrl09
01-30-2008, 11:23 PM
Opps I just noticed that 2TBS had 4 g of sugar. Sorry. :( But maybe it is from the natural sugars in the milk. Hmmm.

ADAGIRL
01-31-2008, 10:07 AM
:cp:Oh Cat, I just loved the coffee (and of course the Beignets) at Cafe' Du Monde!!! I have been to New Orleans three times and I started my days there every time!! I would have never thought of that. Of course, in Michigan, that is not a coffee we would find in the markets around here. Thanks for the link. I am going to order some.

ADAGIRL
01-31-2008, 10:15 AM
:coffee:TnTechGirl,
Don't laugh, but that is the first thing I tought of too! I was so desperate that I actually even considered FF plain Yogurt. Ok, only for a minute:dizzy:. What we won't do to get our own way!!

Phoebe7879
02-07-2008, 03:19 AM
I found sugar free creamer, works pretty good... And the syrups they use at the coffee stands, alot of grocery stores carry sugar free varieties. What I do is take 1/2 to 3/4 cup of ff milk and heat it up for a minute or so and then pour in the coffee, and add the creamer. If I'm using the syrup, I might use a little more milk. Anyway, it's great and sugar free =)

bellaluna
02-07-2008, 09:38 AM
I have been using sugarfree creamer, too, even though it does have some HFCS in it. (Why are we avoiding that, again? I know it's bad...just because it's sugar or is there something more ominous?) I tried to give it up, even bought the DaVinci to try to replace it but it just isn't the same. Will keep trying to quit it, but so far, I haven't been able to! My bad!!!!

It just seems like whenever I try to replace something with something healthier, I end up getting something else I don't want (FF yogurt? extra sugar. SF products? artificial sweeteners. Sigh.)

SAnativegirl
02-07-2008, 11:15 AM
We ran out of creamer (on purpose) to avoid all those bad thing. I had coffee this morning with skim milk-ick, it did taste like brown water, and I forgot to heat it up so it was cold, too!

Earthchild
02-07-2008, 05:24 PM
Hey Femme!
CDM fan here!!!! My husband got me hooked and there is just no going back! I just use 1% milk and splenda; wasn't great at first but I've gotten used to it.
Think I might have to go make a few cups.....sadly,no beignets ( I did make them for the first time a few months ago while on vacation-they are yummy with the coffee!!)

i ate my skinny me
02-07-2008, 05:51 PM
HI All,
I was really glad to see this thread because i drink ALOT of coffee, and was confused about creamers. I checked out a lot of flavored creamers and I found one that I thought looked good. PLEASE let me know what you think. Because it taste great I figured it had to be bad.....I sit here with skim milk in one hand and creamer in the other awaiting your input.
------------------------------------------------
International Delights SF French Vanilla
Serv. Size 1 tbsp
Cal. 20 Fat Cal. 15
Total Fat 2g-3%
Sat. Fat. 1g-5%
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 0mg
Sodium 0 mg
Total Carbs 1g- 0%
Dietary Fiber 0g
Sugars 0g
Protein 0g
--------------

Earthchild
02-07-2008, 06:11 PM
Woo-hoo! My ticker is back!!!!

DFW Mom
02-09-2008, 10:28 AM
Thanks for the info on the SF International Delight Creamer. I'd like to know if this is "ok" for SBD as I follow the "I need cream in my coffee" posters above!!! :)

i ate my skinny me
02-10-2008, 02:16 AM
I want to know also.

lightfello
02-11-2008, 12:49 AM
I don't think they are "SBD approved" because of the HFCS. That being said, I still use a bit of the sf vanilla coffeemate when I make coffee at home. I know the HFCS isn't good for you but I justify it by using a small amount and only 1-2 times per week. It hasn't caused me to be hungry. I'll keep using it until I find a suitable alternative.
BTW, most days I drink a skinny vanilla latte from starbucks. I didn't want it to look like I only drank coffee 1-2 times per week. :)

cottagebythesea
02-11-2008, 06:24 AM
I like to use both the SF Almond Breeze or 7th Continent Light Vanilla Soy Milk as a substitute for coffee creamer. They seem to have a bit more "oomph" than just plain old skim milk, and they're both SBD friendly. :)

murphmitch
02-11-2008, 09:00 AM
I like to use both the SF Almond Breeze or 7th Continent Light Vanilla Soy Milk as a substitute for coffee creamer. They seem to have a bit more "oomph" than just plain old skim milk, and they're both SBD friendly. :)

I have 8th continent light vanilla soy milk. Is that the same thing as 7th continent? Mine has sugar & fructose in it with 5 gms of sugar so I have not been using it.

cottagebythesea
02-11-2008, 09:21 AM
I have 8th continent light vanilla soy milk. Is that the same thing as 7th continent? Mine has sugar & fructose in it with 5 gms of sugar so I have not been using it.

:o Oops, you're right! Maybe I have it confused with Silk Soy Milk? I know one of them was ok. :?:

beachgal
02-11-2008, 10:02 AM
Okay, I'm back on the soapbox again, chickies(but not as a mod...just as a fellow Beachie)... :soap: Put down the creamer and walk away!!! Any creamer I've seen (Coffeemate, International Delights, etc....) is full of not only HFCS but tons of TRANS-FATS, which are the total devil when it comes to your heart and cholesterol health. Please, please, pleeeeease stay away from trans-fats. Like I said above, I know that you're only getting a tiny bit of each (HCFS and trans-fats), but they totally add up over time. :( Sugar-free might even be worse for your overall health because when they take out sugar, they add fat, and in this case, it's the bad stuff! :fr: Honestly, please, please consider using some form of lowfat milk or cream and a sugar free syrup to do the flavoring. That creamer stuff will literally kill you, eventually. (Center for Science in the Public Interest head Michael F. Jacobson, PhD, explains (http://www.prevention.com/cda/article/trans-fats/fcd6d08f88803110VgnVCM20000012281eac____/nutrition.recipes/nutrition.basics), "Trans fats account for as many as 50,000 deaths a year.") :sorry: Okay, hopping off... :soap:

Here are a couple articles about trans-fats, in case you think I'm exaggerating... ;)

Are These Foods Really Healthy? Trans-fats and Your Brain (http://www.prevention.com/cda/article/trans-fats-and-your-brain/a59a323b0b803110VgnVCM20000012281eac____/nutrition.recipes/nutrition.basics/eating.healthy)
I Trans-Formed My Diet How hard is it to eliminate this hidden fat? (http://www.prevention.com/cda/article/trans-fats/fcd6d08f88803110VgnVCM20000012281eac____/nutrition.recipes/nutrition.basics)
"Harvard researchers tested 800 healthy women and found (http://www.prevention.com/cda/article/trans-fat-and-heart-attacks/1f0a66263d803110VgnVCM20000012281eac____/nutrition.recipes/nutrition.basics/fats)that the more trans fat they ate, the higher their levels of tumor necrosis factor--a sign of full-body inflammation, which is an emerging risk factor for heart attacks, heart disease, heart failure, diabetes, and prediabetes. "

Fat-free condensed milk is totally SBD safe, including in Phase 1, and a great compromise!!! :cp: If you don't find 1% milk to be enough fat, please consider trying 2% before giving up. Even 2% isn't that bad in terms of saturated fat as long as you aren't getting a ton with every cup. If you're adding more than 2 or 3 Tablespoons per 8 oz cup, I'd go with skim milk or 1%, okay? (i.e. with a latte, etc.)

If it's a once-in-a-while indulgence, I don't think 2% would be bad. It's just if people use something like half-n-half every single day for years, they're going to have some heart health issues sooner rather than later. Does that make sense?

So, some possibilities to try that are SBD safe on all phases for everyday use:

Skim milk
Fat Free condensed milk (comes in a can)
Sugar Free soy milk (low fat is better for calories, but soybean oil is much healthier than the saturated fat in milk, so it's not a "bad" fat)
1% milk
Fat Free Half n' Half (look at the ingredients and think about if you want to use this all the time)
2% milk (usually only for special occasions, but if you have to decide between using this everyday and using any kind of creamer, I'd go with the 2%. It'll hurt your heart much, much less!)

Bad Choices on any Phase (because they aren't healthy)

ANY Coffeemate creamer, liquid or dry
ANY International Delights creamer
Real Half n' Half (if the choice is between this and creamer, I use this, just my $0.02)
Whole milk (again, if the choice is between this and creamer, I use this)
Generic/Store brand creamer or whitener powder

Again, these are my thoughts/opinions as a fellow dieter, not as a moderator. I don't want anyone to think I know it all, since I definitely don't! :lol: But I think when you have to consider these things, you try to use the healthiest thing possible, avoid trans-fats at all costs, and consider what you know you can do consistently for the long haul. If you absolutely hate skim milk in your coffee, I wouldn't force yourself to do it. Try something else, but don't use creamer. Okay? :grouphug:

P.S. The skinny lattes (i.e. a latte made with skim milk and sugar free syrup for those who don't speak coffee-ese) are a GREAT way to enjoy skim milk more. I don't know if everyone feels this way, but I think when the skim milk is all frothed up, it seems much more comforting and filling than it does in regular coffee. :shrug:

ADAGIRL
02-11-2008, 11:08 AM
Thank you Laurie for all of your research and information on coffee creamers. I love that you get up on your little soapbox to set us all straight. I know that personally I need someone to offer suggestions for alternatives to my bad habits. I would have probably gone on forever using my coffeemate because I could justify that as my only opps!!
I have to tell you all that I have been using skim milk and splenda (sometimes a little flavored sf surup) since I first started this thread. It was really hard at first and I felt so deprived (note: I was drinking approx. 11/2 pots of coffee a day:o) But you can get used to it:carrot:!! I have found that by heating the skimmed milk in the microwave and then adding splenda does cause the milk to foam some. When I add my coffee it sort of looks and tastes like a latte! Maybe try this for yourselves and see if you can make the switch. It is also a great way to get in your milk if you are not a big milk drinker.

*P.S. I really do think that the calories really were stacking up for me by using the creamers. I have started loosing again since I gave up my "fix".

i ate my skinny me
02-11-2008, 11:09 AM
The International delights creamer I was asking about is labeled as having 0 grams of trans fat, and was sweetened with splenda if by HFCS you mean high fructose corn syrup.
One of the things I like about the SB way of life is that there are very few things you can NEVER have. As long as you read the labels and really look into what your eating. Everything in Moderation.

tammie00
02-11-2008, 03:50 PM
Is this ok? I have been using Silk Creamer French Vanilla. The nutritional info follows. I am not a huge coffee drinker. Ilike my one cup a day. and I do occationally have one from a coffee shop either a skinny latte or skinny mocha. But this seems to do the trick for me.

French Vanilla, Pint
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1 Tbsp. (15mL)
Servings per container About 32

Amount per Serving

Calories 20

Calories from Fat 10

% Daily Value*

Total Fat 1g 2%

Saturated Fat 0g 0%
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 0g

Cholesterol 0mg 0%

Sodium 10mg 0%

Total Carbohydrates 3g 1%

Dietary Fiber 0g 0%

Sugars 3g

Protein 0g

Vitamin A 0%

Vitamin C 0%

Calcium 0%

Iron 0%

* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000-calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
Calories: 2,000 2,500

Total Fat less than 65g 80g
Saturated Fat less than 20g 25g
Cholesterol less than 300mg 300mg
Sodium less than 2,400mg 2,400mg
Potassium less than 3,500mg 3,500mg
Total Carbohydrates 300g 375g
Dietary Fiber 25g 30g

INGREDIENTS:: Organic Soymilk (Filtered Water, Whole Organic Soybeans), Organic Evaporated Cane Juice, Palm Oil, Soy Lecithin, Natural Flavors, Potassium Phosphate, Sodium Citrate, Tapioca Starch, Carrageenan.

70% of ingredients organic.

femmecreole
02-11-2008, 06:12 PM
Organic Evaporated Cane Juice is sugar...I'd avoid it.

Loriann7
02-12-2008, 06:02 AM
I KNOW that it's bad, and I've tried the soy milk and the skim, I just can't get myself to enjoy the coffee with that. I have decided that I've given up so much that I AM going to enjoy my coffee, right or wrong!!!!

beachgal
02-13-2008, 10:53 AM
ADAgirl, I'm glad you don't mind my soapbox! :lol: Yeah, I get a little worked up over people hurting their health. :o I love what you're doing with the skim milk! It sounds delicious! I do that with milk when I made homemade hot chocolate and it does make it all frothy and stuff, but I never thought of doing it with coffee! Yum! :T

Tammie, if it's not bothering you and you aren't drinking a lot each day, it's probably not a big issue. However, why take the chance (and get the extra calories)? Try SF soy milk, splenda, and flavoring (or soy milk and SF syrup...). Should be the same, but no chance of cravings and less calories! You could even blend the syrup and soymilk in a small batch and keep it in the fridge in a rubbermaid container so it's easy to use. :shrug:

Loriann (cool name...I'm actually Laurie Ann, myself! :D ), I get what you're saying. The fact that you can make anything SBD-safe and even make allowances for going off plan every so often is one of the things I like about SBD too. If you were talking about an indulgence of calories, or even an indulgence of a tiny bit of sugar, I'd totally be with you on enjoying your coffee. But we're talking about using a product that, at least, is going to give you heart problems, eventually. At most, it could cause brain damage. Is that worth it? Only you can decide. I just want to make sure everyone knows the facts before deciding to use creamers. I totally believe that everyone's body works its own way and that some people can tolerate things that others can't. But trans-fats aren't that way. They affect us all and in a majorly negative way. It's something that everyone is talking about. Getting them out of our diets is a major priority.

I guess it might be off topic for this thread, but I know how it feels when you are thinking, "I've given up so much." When you're thinking that way (a deprivation viewpoint), you're so much more likely to go off-plan or even quit entirely. It wasn't until I started seeing what I was doing as a positive choice for my own well-being and health that I knew this was something I could do for life.

When I'm eating my SBD-safe dessert (or even just having coffee) while others are eating desserts high in white flour and bad fats, I just think about how unhealthy it is making them and I feel sorry for them. I think about how good I feel. I think about how I can climb several flights of stairs without being winded while my boss, who eats that stuff and is very overweight, has to take the elevator. I think about how sad I was to have a mom would was extremely overweight and how I won't be like that when I have kids. I think about how my kids will be healthy because I won't be nearly as likely to get gestational diabetes when I get pregnant. When I'm done thinking about these things and more, I feel like I'm GETTING so much that I have no reason to think about any of the things I've "given up."

When I find myself mourning the foods I don't eat any more (and trust me, it does happen...especially when someone is eating something I really miss), I have to sit down and change the way I'm thinking. Sometimes I also put the energy I was using to mourn and use it to create an SBD-safe version of the thing I miss. I know if I go down the path of deprivation thinking, I'll ruin all the good work I've done. I did that once before and it's been disastrous.

I hope I'm not making you upset--but I'd hate to see you go down that path too. Think about what you are gaining. The only things you're giving up are those things that made you sick and unhealthy...and, I assume, unhappy, too, or you wouldn't be likely to have chosen to do SBD in the first place, right? :hug:

beachgal
02-20-2008, 11:46 AM
I checked out soy milk creamers (http://www.silksoymilk.com/Products/SilkCreamer.aspx)this weekend in hopes that they might be a viable alternative, but even though they use evaporated cane juice (which is still sugar, but better than HFCS), they use palm oil, which is a bad fat (but better than trans fats). Not a great choice, but better than Coffee Mate or International Delight. :shrug:

Loriann7
02-21-2008, 05:54 AM
Laurie... actually my name is Lori Ann (my daddy named me)... but I use Loriann on the net! (because there's less out there than Lori heheheeh).

I hear what your saying, and i know this is going to get my butt kicked (and I hope it does)...but I've tried the soy milk, I've tried the half and half... but it doesn't do justice,but you know, as I was typing this my mind jolted and said "half and half wasn't so bad" but my problem is I use too much half and half. sigh.. good thing I get the low fat h&h.

I think I'll stop on the way home tonight for that jug of ff h&h.

Laurie... I just checked my Wegman's creamer and it says 0 trans fat!!!!!!!!!!

cottagebythesea
02-21-2008, 06:09 AM
Laurie... I just checked my Wegman's creamer and it says 0 trans fat!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, but what are the other ingredients?

Loriann7
02-21-2008, 06:12 AM
Ingredients: Corn Syrup Solids (oops), Partially Hydrogenated Soybean and/or Palm oil, Sodium Caseinate (a milk derivative). Dipotassium Phosphate, Mono and Diglycerides, silicon dioxide, artificial Color, Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Soy Lecithin, artificial flavor.

cottagebythesea
02-21-2008, 06:32 AM
Ingredients: Corn Syrup Solids (oops), Partially Hydrogenated Soybean and/or Palm oil, Sodium Caseinate (a milk derivative). Dipotassium Phosphate, Mono and Diglycerides, silicon dioxide, artificial Color, Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Soy Lecithin, artificial flavor.

Ummm, are you sure you want to put all those chemicals in your body? Corn syrup solids and partially hydrogenated soybean and/or palm oil, are definite no-nos, and what is all that other stuff?
Personally, I'd stay away from it.

Loriann7
02-21-2008, 06:39 AM
Ummm, are you sure you want to put all those chemicals in your body? Corn syrup solids and partially hydrogenated soybean and/or palm oil, are definite no-nos, and what is all that other stuff?
Personally, I'd stay away from it.

Thats what I was thinking as I was typing the ingredients! And then I thought "I'll keep the jar for guests that may want it" and then thought "why would I encourage anyone to drink this GARBAGE" so, on my way IN to work I'm going to get some ff h&h for both home and work. I'd say home, but truth be told I do drink more coffee than I should.. .but no where near what I was doing just days ago. Yesterday I only had two at work as opposed to about six cups!!!!!!

beachgal
02-21-2008, 10:12 AM
Thanks, Cottage! :hug: That's just what I would have said.

Here's the thing with trans fats. I know this'll make sense if you think about it--when they required companies to put trans fats on the label, some of them did change how they made their food so trans fats weren't present any more. But many didn't. All they did was adjust the portion size (or reduce the partially hydrogenated oils) just enough that it was under 1g. If it's under that, the FDA says that they can list it as 0g. :rolleyes: So it can have 0.9g, and still be listed as 0. With things like creamer, Cool Whip, etc., you use such a small amount to begin with that they don't need to even reduce what they were using to list it as 0.

That means that even though it's a good thing to check the label for trans fats, what you really need to look at is the ingredients list. Search for the word "hydrogenated." If you find it, and it's near the beginning of the list, it's full o' trans fats. :fr: The ingredients are listed in order of weight, from highest weight to lowest. So, in general, the ingredients at the beginning of the list are the ones that there are the most of. Hope this helps explain it.

I absolutely love that you're thinking of the health of your guests, too, Lori Ann! :hug: That's a sure sign of a change of thinking! :idea: It drove DH nuts at first, but I actually do that too--even so far as giving out non-candy treats at Halloween! :lol: I know, it's a bit much. But I hate the thought of making others deal with the sugar after knowing what it does to us. :shrug:

The FF 1/2 n 1/2 isn't bad. My favorite is still 1 or 2% milk, or a latte with skim (where the whipped up milk is so creamy!).

I didn't think of it before, but has anyone tried one of those "extra creamy" skim milks in their coffee? You know, the kind where they add milk powder back in after taking out the fat? :chin:

pamatga
02-21-2008, 03:32 PM
Some of the International Coffees have sugar free but I still see some of these other ingredients lurking right a long side of the fact that they are sugar free too.

What's the thought on that?:?:

ADAGIRL
02-22-2008, 09:48 AM
I know that this is a little off topic, but since we have been talking about trans fats so much, I thought I would jump in. I am a very visual person, so when I heard this analogy, I well never forget it. (sorry, but I can't recall the Dr/source)
He said to imagine your body as an fine swiss watch. Now imagine that every time you eat trans fats, it is like opening the back of that watch and pouring grains of sand in. Can you guess what would happen before long!!
I think about that every time I am scanning a label. (I used to say, " It won't matter if we have just a little TF in this because it is SO worth it.") Now I think about this analogy and nothing is worth it!!
Sue
THIS IS WHERE MY TICKER SHOULD BE:(

seaduck
02-22-2008, 11:48 AM
""I didn't think of it before, but has anyone tried one of those "extra creamy" skim milks in their coffee? You know, the kind where they add milk powder back in after taking out the fat?"

Laurie -- I was just going to chime in about this. When people are talking about 'skim' milk, I assume you all mean that horrible blue-colored <g> thin watery milk stuff that's been around for a long time?

There is another product available in our area (New England), which goes under the names 'Hood Simply Smart' and 'Garelick Farms Over the Moon.' You can get it as 1% or FatFree, which is what we buy. The cartons say 'FatFree with the taste of 2%!' And it's true. The 1% version tastes like whole milk. I wondered how they did this, but I think Laurie's description is right. Advantages: more protein and I think more calcium. Disadvantage: more expensive. But definitely worth it. I'm a coffee snob (milk, no sugar), and think this is a fine compromise and definitely recommend trying it (or asking for it...it's a relatively new product, within the last year or so). My favorite local high-end coffee bar (not Starbucks) uses it to make 'skim' lattes.

BTW -- these same companies make FF Half and Half, but as other people have mentioned here, they tend to add in all sorts of Unprounceable Stuff. My rule: if I can't pronounce it or spell it, I don't eat it!

beachgal
02-25-2008, 02:23 PM
There is another product available in our area (New England), which goes under the names 'Hood Simply Smart' and 'Garelick Farms Over the Moon.' You can get it as 1% or FatFree, which is what we buy. The cartons say 'FatFree with the taste of 2%!' And it's true. ...

I checked into it, Seaduck, and it looks like Hood makes theirs by taking out more liquid (water, I assume). My mom up in WA gets some that they make by adding milk protein powder to the "blue stuff" you're thinking of. ;) Personally, I'm a HUGE fan o' the blue stuff...I hate drinking straight milk with any fat in it. :p But I love 1% in my cereal and my hot cocoa! :T

I'm glad the super-creamy skim milks are tasty. Hope they are an option for coffee! :crossed:

...BTW -- these same companies make FF Half and Half, but as other people have mentioned here, they tend to add in all sorts of Unprounceable Stuff. My rule: if I can't pronounce it or spell it, I don't eat it!

:lol3: I love that you capitalized "Unpronounceable Stuff"--I agree!!! :hug:

As for trans-fats, I love the analogy you gave, ADAgirl! :cp: It's some seriously scary stuff. I'm often tempted to think the same way--"Oh, it's only a little bit, so it's worth it..." but those little bits add up! Sue, do you need help getting your ticker up and working? If so, please PM me. I'd be glad to help! :D

Yes, pamatga, there are usually trans-fats in most dry drink powders, like International foods. :( You'll have to use your own judgement on what you want to do about that. I think, if you peruse the recipe forum, you'll find some recipes listed for, at least, hot cocoa mix. You might be able to make your own "International Coffees" mix at home, using non-trans-fat ingredients. The flavored Splenda packets come to mind... :chin:

pamatga
02-25-2008, 03:08 PM
I am not that big of a coffee drinker although I do like it. I guess, I always felt that was what grown ups drank and I guess I haven't grown up yet! :) I read in a Splenda cookbook that evaporated milk can be substituted for fat free half n half in recipes so I thought---hey, why not, use it in coffee? I bought a can (no added sugar either or the other stuff!) and I told my DH to try it and see if he likes it.

I read that drinking caffeinated coffee can reduce the risk of ovarian cancer. Since it seems like cancer of the reproductive organs runs in my maternal side of the family, I thought I might start taking up drinking coffee again. I am such a huge diet soda drinker though....

however, on the other hand, I am playing with the idea though. I don't know, so many decisions and only one life to make them. sigh!

ADAGIRL
03-07-2008, 09:36 AM
So, what's the verdict Pamatga? Did your DH like the evap. milk in his coffee?? Sorry, but if he is going to be the Ginny pig anyway:coffee:...
Sue

jandaman
03-07-2008, 12:50 PM
while reading this thread i was surprised how emotional i got. i guess i really feel strongly about having my creamer;) it is the one vice i retain during P1 .i actually use lo-fat condensed milk in my coffee and i find it delish! and it is sweet enough w/o added sweeteners