Exercise! - How far would you drive to a health club?

horsey
01-29-2008, 07:41 PM
How far would you drive to a health club? I moved to the west part of my town/city and the ymca is 20 minutes away, I realize in a larger city 20 minutes wouldn't be much but in smaller areas it seems far.

Anyways I have a little boy and used to take him with me a few evenings a week because they had daycare. None of the clubs in this area have daycare at their facilities and so I've been working out at home. Especially in the winter I am bored and miss working out a few evenings just for something to do too.

So I'm debating driving back and forth a few nights a week for at least a few months this winter. When the days are longer we'll go on walks and stuff outside in the evenings.

How far would you drive for a club? Do you consider the expense of gas as its' high?

NaturalStupidit
01-29-2008, 08:05 PM
My club is about 20 minutes away from my work. It chose the club because it's cheaper (without losing much, exercize equiptment wise) and so I guess that would make up for the gas.

Scenestealer
01-29-2008, 08:26 PM
I live in the city and I have a gym on the ground floor of my apartment building. I absolutely LOVE the convenience of having it right there, because sometimes I'll even go down for just 10 minutes or so.

This summer when I was living with my mom, it was a 25 minute drive to the gym. I still went every day, but it was much more of a pain, and it was always a big to-do rather than something I could just do anytime.

Lifeguard
01-29-2008, 11:24 PM
I drive about 10 minutes right now but in the fall I was driving 45 minutes to go to my gym (but this was because I knew it was temporary). I would definitely drive 20 minutes if it was a gym I liked.

kgood2005
01-30-2008, 07:40 PM
I drive about 15 - 20 minutes to get there. But then my work is only 5 minutes away after. Plus my son's babysitter is on the way. So for me its convenient.

vertigoskyy
01-30-2008, 10:26 PM
When I went to the YMCA I used to drive about 10 minutes. I live in a big city and we have 5 different YMCA's and I lived within 10 minutes of 3 of them.

Now [since we've moved and bought a house] I live 5 minutes from my new gym. Without bad weather [booo Michigan] it would probably be less. I love it! Even if the gym is closing in the next hour I still have time run out of the house and get there with time to still get a good workout in!

tomandkara
01-31-2008, 07:15 AM
We don't have a car here, so I have to walk to the gym. It's 1.69 miles away (yes, I measured it) and it takes me about a half hour to get there and another half hour to get home. So, driving 20 minutes seems like a good deal to me!

Kara

YP1
01-31-2008, 08:13 AM
I wouldn't drive to the gym at all. Not least because I don't have a car, but even when I did, I didn't want to join a gym that I'd have to go out of my way to visit - so I picked one that's just round the corner from work, and that I can pop into when I pass it on a journey I'd be doing anyway. I'm not sure what I'd do if there wasn't one convenient enough to do that - but there are several gyms near my office so it's not an issue I had to consider.

NotTheCheat
01-31-2008, 10:38 AM
Since I am taking dance classes I actually go to 3 different locations of my gym to catch different classes. 2 of the locations are fairly close to me, but the 3rd, which I go to twice a week, is a 20-30 minute drive depending on traffic. To me it is worth it because I love the class so much.

YP1
01-31-2008, 02:40 PM
Although I've just thought - I don't go out of my way to go to the gym, but I do to train with my running club. If I drove there it would maybe take 10 to 15 minutes, but I tend to either run it or use public transport which takes nearer an hour. But that was only once I got into the exercise habit, I certainly wouldn't have done that when I first started.

sapphireheather
02-01-2008, 11:33 AM
My club is 20 minutes away. Heck, where I live, everything is a minimum of 20minutes away! lol Gotta love country living!

Krazedmom
02-03-2008, 01:38 PM
It's about a 20 minute drive to the gym from my house. I am trying to decide if I am going to join again or not. It would be a much easier decision if it was closer. I hate having to drive home after working out!