South Beach Diet - Broccoli Cheese Soup

View Full Version : Broccoli Cheese Soup

TechieGrrl09
01-29-2008, 03:44 PM
I am confused! Ahh! I have a pot of broccoli and cheese soup recipe on the stove right now. I am making it for dinner tonight which should be in 2 1/2 to 3 hours. I usually make soup and then turn it on low to keep it warm

I just noticed in the directions from the recipe post (I can't post links yet but it is in the recipes section -> P2 soups ) that it says to remove the soup from the heat and then add the cheese.

This may be a stupid question :dizzy: but can I put it back on the stove on low heat to keep it warm until dinner?

Schmoodle
01-29-2008, 03:58 PM
The problem with cooking soups with milk, cream, or cheese in them for a long time or at high heat is that the proteins can curdle, so the milk will become grainy, or the cheese will become stringy and won't melt and mix into the soup. You could get it all made to the point of adding the cheese, and then just wait and do it before dinner. If this is the Velveeta recipe, you might be okay, because I think that one will stay creamy, but I'm not positive. I haven't ever cooked with Velveeta.

TechieGrrl09
01-29-2008, 04:03 PM
Schmoodle - Thank you! I was just about to pop the cheese into the soup, now I will wait until time to serve it. I have never made a cream (milk) based soup before in advance.

:)

Barb0522
01-29-2008, 04:21 PM
I've made that recipe many times but I don't think I would let it simmer that long with the cheese. I do put the cheese in when I have the heat still on it but I use my handheld blender to blend the soup afterwards so I've never noticed any stringyness. I tried it once using a regular blender and it was so much work that I bought the handheld. It makes it so easy!