South Beach Diet - Did you tweak SB or followed to the letter??

K-boogie
01-29-2008, 10:07 AM
I was just wondering did any of you "tweak" the SB plan to what you wanted or did you follow it to the letter. What were your results?

Schmoodle
01-29-2008, 10:16 AM
I don't really tweak too much. I try to stay pretty close to plan.
I have dark chocolate and an occasional glass of wine, but that's allowed.
I overdo on the fudgesicles sometimes and frequently go over the 75 calorie treat allowance.
Sometimes I have too many nuts.
Sometimes I plain out cheat and have something off plan. These I call "planned indulgences" and try to make it a small thing and not to do it more than once/week.
I buy the Kashi whole grain frozen waffles and sometimes have one for breakfast with some peanut butter on it. They are close to meeting the bread guidelines, but not quite, so I guess this is a tweak. I don't have one more than once/week.

Oh, results. I have lost 50+ lbs. in 7 months.

tomandkara
01-29-2008, 11:02 AM
If I have the choice to have something with regular sugar or artificial sweetener and I know I can just have a little bit, I'll have the one with sugar. (Like ice cream - might eat a cup once every two or three months) I know the point of not eating refined sugar is to keep the cravings at bay so if I am confident that I can get past any cravings, I will avoid the taste of artificial sweetener.

Kara

cottagebythesea
01-29-2008, 11:12 AM
I occasionally tweak the diet a little by indulging in one of my favorites, a Kashi Pumpkin Spice Flax bar. And once in a while I'll have a ThinkThin creamy peanut butter bar. They don't seem to affect my cravings in any way, and for me, I'd rather have one of those than be tempted by some "real" Frankenfood stuff.

liamylime
01-29-2008, 11:46 AM
I am a tweaker!!! Occasionally I overdo the cashew/macadamia nut butter or red wine on the weekends. So far, fortunately, everything seems to balance out over the week.

ThinAgainBeginAgain
01-29-2008, 12:42 PM
Tweak, Tweak! Don't we all, at least a bit? I'm great w/ the meals, but I do admit to having prolly one too many sugar-free York Peppermint Patties, which I think are actually better than the originals! They're only 27 calories, so, sometimes I convince myself to have one (or two) too many on a given day.

Oh, and then there's that 2nd glass of wine....

Still, doing great on SB!

jillybean720
01-29-2008, 12:47 PM
I'm on my last day of Phase 1, so I haven't been on the plan for very long, but my weight has gone down some despite some "tweaks." I will admit that some things I eat have sugar listed as an ingredient, but I make sure it is WAY down the list of ingredients and check the grams of sugar per serving. I also don't always eat as little saturated fat as I should. I went out to a restaurant and got a grilled chicken sandwich with bacon and cheese. I ordered it without the bun, but I still ate the bacon and cheese. I don't do this every day, so I didn't worry about it. I still lost weight over the weekend, too, so it didn't affect my progress.

SAnativegirl
01-29-2008, 01:15 PM
I guess i'm a tweaker. I'm in week 4 and have lost 9 lbs total. Husband lost 11. i have cut back on wine, but every day or two will put a splash in some SF FF cranberry water for a spritzer. I have only had one bread serving, maybe 3-4 times all month. Other than that, pretty much on plan. I think its important tho to tweak as the weeks roll on or you wont stay on plan.

TechieGrrl09
01-29-2008, 01:16 PM
I tweak a little, but not much. Sometimes, if I cannot find a lf flavor of cheese I will purchase the full fat kind and eat 1/2 servings instead of a full serving. Sometimes I also like to drink 3 or 4 cups of milk a day. I can't say how much tweaking has affected me because I do not weight myself. But my clothes are loser, and I feel like if the worst thing I do is drink 3 cups of milk a day - it isn't the end of the world.

I do however know that when I follow a "diet" to the letter I usually get the best results as far as weight loss.

only1naked
01-30-2008, 09:02 PM
I won't eat fat free cheese. I simply won't. Lightning could strike me dead, but I will NEVER eat fat free cheese. However, I do stick to the 2% *sigh* as much as it kills me.

(Cheese is a big weakness for me). Oh, and beer, but so far I am off that. At some point I will be enjoying a couple low carb beers, but not nearly this early my diet.

SoulCyster
01-31-2008, 09:27 AM
I'm a tweaker...well, you know what I mean! :) I think you have to or you will go crazy. On P1 I didn't go off plan too much, but if I did, or I had too many nuts one day, I didn't beat myself up. We're human! I'm not going to gain back all the weight by having 5 too many nuts, or an extra SF fudgesicle. As long as you can keep the cravings down you're good to go!

And ThinAgain...how good are those peppermint patties?!? There is no way I would be able to tell the difference between a real one and a sugar free one!! I got the Reese's PB cups too, so I'm hoping I can eat just one! Or two :drool:

pamatga
01-31-2008, 10:29 AM
I am very new to South Beach. This is my first month of ever even trying this. The last time I tried a low carb diet was Atkins back 6-7 years ago.

I have followed it to the letter since January 1st EXCEPT.....

...... that I made an "error in judgement" this past weekend. I was feeling guilty that my DH's (and I like it too) favorite "sweet treat" wasn't around so I "insisted" on making my Mom's homemade fudge recipe. I honestly thought I could avoid a piece. Well, I had more than one piece. No, it was not an actual craving either! I think, it was all mental and, maybe, I just wanted to "test myself". Well, I was wrong on all accounts. I sent the rest of it with him to work to pass around.

I am going to try and figure out a way to make it with Splenda the "next time".

I paid for it with a 2 lb weight gain too! Which I am still mad about.:devil:

I am so angry at myself for this because I want to get this blasted fat off my body and have it stay off. I'm not saying you all don't but I just want to get this dieting behind me instead of always in front of me. You can see my pixs on "pixstosee" to know what I am talking about.

I need to follow this to the letter. First of all, I want it to work and I have too much dieting "history" in my past to know that once I start tweaking it here then it will be too easy to tweak there and there and there.

So, call me the bad black sheep of SB, but I have to non-tweak, ladies. That's the way it's got to be with me. All or nothing!

crk05
01-31-2008, 11:11 PM
Definitely a tweaker.
Like Kara said, sometimes if I have to choose between a little sugar and artificial sweeteners, I will take the sugar. This only happens once in a while and it doesn't bother me as far as cravings go or disruption in weight loss pattern.
Also, I fudge on the cheeses here and there. There aren't a lot of interesting lowfat cheese options in my local grocery so sometimes I do full-fat and just moderate the quantity of it very carefully.

tomandkara
02-01-2008, 01:04 AM
You guys know that as long as there are 6g or less of fat per serving, any cheese is fine, right? That might help with the low-fat cheese issue.

Kara

ThinAgainBeginAgain
02-01-2008, 06:50 AM
And ThinAgain...how good are those peppermint patties?!? There is no way I would be able to tell the difference between a real one and a sugar free one!! I got the Reese's PB cups too, so I'm hoping I can eat just one! Or two :drool:

SoulCyster: I'm in enough trouble with the SF York PP's, there is NO WAY I will try the Reeses Cups!! LOL!!!

I have to admit, my trouble before South Beach was candy... forget cookies and cake...so, it's very hard for me to completely omit it from my diet. I didn't touch anything in Phase 1, but, now I do have a piece of sugar free candy at least once a day. I think if I didn't, I would eventually 'splurge' and eat something REALLY bad for me, so, I just have to live with my cravings, even though they are in my head and not 'body' cravings.... sux.

Other than that and wine, I have no problem staying within my P2 boundaries. I can easily see myself maintaining for life on P3.

Schmoodle
02-01-2008, 08:35 AM
Thanks guys, I did NOT need to know about those peppermint patties!:p

Neko
02-01-2008, 10:35 AM
I didn't need to know about the SF peanut butter cups. I <3 Reeses.

I follow SB to the letter except.... I have 3-4 cups a week of coffee with half and half. I'd rather have less coffee and still have it the way I like it. And yes, I do realize one exception means I don't follow SB exactly to the letter. ;)

tomandkara
02-01-2008, 11:00 AM
Neko, have you tried the fat free half and half? I saw it the other day when I was peering into the dairy case. I'm not a coffee drinker so I can't speak to whether it compares to the regular, but I have used it in baking and haven't noticed a difference. Or what about fat free evaporated milk? Or, if you're happy and are still losing, then feel free to ignore me...:)

Kara

KT39
02-01-2008, 11:02 AM
Thanks Tomandkara!

I did not know about the less than 6g of fat per serving rule...I just started on Monday with P1, and I had some awesome sharp cheddar in the fridge....I had some and just made sure to have a "reasonable" amount and savor every bite..... I will not eat fake cheese....I just can't do it! I'd get kicked out of Wisconsin! Although the Laughing Cow Light is not bad with celery.........

Schmoodle
02-01-2008, 11:11 AM
Seems like most of us have our one little thing we can't bend on. That's probably what makes the plan work for so many people.
I can't speak for Neko, but I don't like the FF half and half in coffee. Most of the time I can make do with regular milk, but I do occasionally indulge in a shot of half and half in my coffee. I never buy it for home anymore, but if I'm out and it's there...
DH is very particular about his cheese, so I have to buy good cheese, and I'll eat some of his on occasion if I am out of mine.
I guess I tweak a little more than I realized!
Doesn't Dr. A. say in the book, if you are hankering for some ice cream, have some REAL ice cream, just a bit to satisfy the craving?
Pamatga, I would say you are the lone good white sheep in a flock of bad black sheep!
It might be easier to ask who here (besides pamatga) NEVER tweaks or goes off plan!

Neko
02-01-2008, 11:29 AM
I will not eat fake cheese....I just can't do it! I'd get kicked out of Wisconsin!

hahaha. I didn't know Wisconsin had state requirements. :D

I don't mind the FF Half & Half although it's not quite the same. The problem is I get most of my coffee out, QuickChek occasionally has it out for people to use and none of the other convenience stores ever do. I put only half the amount of half & half in my coffee as I would whole milk to it comes out even. Can't do the whole skim thing. After years of attempting to do Slim-fast, the taste of evaporated milk makes me gag.

If my weightloss slows, I'll just have less coffee.

KT39
02-01-2008, 12:12 PM
Neko....you are probably one of those people that think the Packer Cheese head is made out of foam.....the real Cheddar Heads know different! Hahahahahaaa.......:D

SoulCyster
02-01-2008, 12:22 PM
Sorry guys!! :) They're awful, don't try them, you'll hate them! ;)

Good thing they only come like 6 to a bag!

Neko
02-01-2008, 01:38 PM
Neko....you are probably one of those people that think the Packer Cheese head is made out of foam.....the real Cheddar Heads know different! Hahahahahaaa.......:D

It's not made of foam? :eek:

murphmitch
02-01-2008, 06:26 PM
So far, I have not tweaked SB at all. I'm in my 4th week so maybe as I get more comfortable with this I will. I tend to be all or none though, so I'm kind of afraid if I indulge a little it will get away from me. I was supposed to add fruit this week, but still haven't because I'm too nervous about stalling weight loss. I do drink way more caffeine than recommended in the guidelines so I guess that's my tweak.

tammie00
02-01-2008, 07:31 PM
OK so I just had to try the sf peppermint patties and well hmmm I think hubby needs to hide the rest of them. They are so yummy. I loved the originals and these are just as good.

Tammie

Schmoodle
02-01-2008, 08:59 PM
Now see what you did?!

Barb0522
02-01-2008, 10:26 PM
Just don't eat too many of the peppermint patties. They have a lot of sugar alcohols and definitely caused me a problem with gas. I won't be buying them again even though they tasted really good. Or maybe because they tasted really good. ;)

CarCar
02-01-2008, 10:30 PM
I have to say, I do think tweaking a little is key to keeping on the right path for some of us! Without some slight modifications here and there I think I'd just give up. I'm with others on the sugar thing -- I'd rather just skip the sweet if it's with artificial sugar, and if I'm going to have it, I'll have the natural stuff. It's not even all about taste to me, but putting all that chemically modified stuff in my body doesn't sit well with me. I also fudge on the cheeses every now and again, and tend to have a bit more popcorn than is allowed. There are others, of course. And, I do like to go with "planned cheats" when the occasion calls for it.

Tweak within reason. In the end, if you're not happy with the diet, you won't stick with it.

ThinAgainBeginAgain
02-02-2008, 08:24 AM
Just don't eat too many of the peppermint patties. They have a lot of sugar alcohols and definitely caused me a problem with gas. I won't be buying them again even though they tasted really good. Or maybe because they tasted really good. ;)

OMIGOSH OMIGOSH OMIGOSH!!!!!!!!!! Is THAT why I've been so, er,... MUSICAL lately???????????????????????????????????????????? http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_15_10.gif

Ho' boy, I guess I am laying off the peppermint patties now... my husband will be a very happy man again!! LOL!! What is the deal with sugar alcohol?? Now I'm going to have to google it!! Thanks for the pointer, Barbara!!!

only1naked
02-02-2008, 01:33 PM
You guys know that as long as there are 6g or less of fat per serving, any cheese is fine, right? That might help with the low-fat cheese issue.

KaraI didn't know that. Yay! Thanks! I am off to Trader Joe's to buy unique cheeses.

lightfello
02-07-2008, 02:00 AM
Be careful with the peppermint patties and the artificial sugars. I'm usually ok with them, but I had three in one day (the suggested serving) and I was in the bathroom all night. I didn't finish the package I had, and I certainly don't plan on buying them again.

Schmoodle
02-07-2008, 08:41 AM
Then you're smarter than me. They gave me terrible gas, but I finished them anyway.:(

CyndiM
02-07-2008, 08:56 AM
I'm late to the thread, but what the heck :) I'd say I'm a moderate tweaker (in SBD terms). I absolutely refuse to limit my coffee. I drink 4 cups a day and unless I get palpitations that's what I intend to drink. I don't drink any milk because I hate it, but I do eat lots and lots of calcium rich veggies. Oh, and I do eat one type of winter squash and raw carrots as veggies not starches because they have a very low glycemic index. I tend to use the specific numbers rather than the more generic lists to determine what fits.

I've lost 44 lbs in 4.5 months.

SkinnyDogMom
02-08-2008, 07:28 PM
Beware the SF candy can also keep you in the potty with severe cramping! It keeps me away from them. I tweak. I don't worry about caffeine. I drink a lot of iced tea...plain, no sweetner...artificial or otherwise. I rarely drink coffee. Even more rarely do I have a soft drink. I also will eat any fruits. I typically have no more than 2 a day of fruits. I eat all veggys/beans except white potatoes. I still try to avoid breads, pastas, rice, cereals or any other grains/starches. Even though we are on phase 2, I have only had 3 slices of ww bread over the past 3 weeks and no other grains/starches. I tend to follow what DH and I call phase 1 1/2----fruits added in and winter squashes and sweet potatoes, but very limited grains/starches. I have found that nuts are a huge trigger for me for overeating...so unless they are served to me in a portion control way, I have to not buy/eat them. I can't stop eating pistachios or almonds or sunflower seeds. Walnuts are about the only nut I won't overeat. So, although a very healthy thing...I can't handle them right now.
I've lost 12 pounds in 5 weeks, DH has lost 14 pounds in 5 weeks. We have had 3-4 "planned cheat" days for parties.