Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 01-28-2008, 10:33 PM   #1  

S/C/G: S:157/C:121/G:125

Height: 5'4"

Default Quit Fitday??!! Me??? I did???

Without ever actually deciding to do so, I think I've quit fitday. I really didn't think I ever would. After almost 1 1/2 years of documenting what I ate just about every single day, I've stopped. It slowed at first in November/December--- I missed a few days here and there. Then, in December, my committment to fitday just died. At first, it was due to circumstances -- work had become more stressful and time consuming, and I was out of town for a number of days. I was mentally tired. I've even been almost dead to this forum. Then after a little while, I started to have some almost subconscious thoughts about whether I really WANTED to restart.

I remember reading Glory's story about how she stopped doing fitday. At that time, it never occurred to me that I would. How else could I keep track of my intake and weight. What would happen if I stopped?

Every few days, I think about restarting. But strangely, I also have a few small positive feelings about quitting, so I haven't restarted.

Anyone have a similar experience, or anyone think they'll never quit?
Tara D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 11:03 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I don't think I'll ever quit entirely...at least to give myself a sanity check if my weight shifts, or if I need to keep an extra eye on things. But I don't use it all the time when I'm maintaining.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 11:42 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 180/130/130

Height: 5'5

Thumbs down

I never really got into using it. I used to document most of my food...but then it just got to be too much of a pain to look up each food and add it to my list. It was rather annoying to think about food that much. I started writing in a paper journal instead.

Now, I rarely write in the paper journal. Every now and again, I need a reality check after a slack period, and it helps to look at things again. But I just use the paper journal.

I'm not dissing FitDay. It's obvious how much it has helped many of 3FC's members, and that's great. It's just not for me
just_a_dreamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:37 AM   #4  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

I happen to like to have control of things. I am very regimented with most things in my life. A place for everything and everything in its place kind of person. We took one weekend ages ago and put everything into fit day we could think of. Now and then I have to add something. Now it is just such an easy thing to use, click on this, click on that all done. I use it more to make sure I am getting the required amounts of the four basic food groups eaten each day. I use it to make good choices. Not sure I would remember to eat enough if I didn't use fit day. That really was one of my big problems, not eating enough. I don't really have to use it so much anymore to make sure I stay within the ranges of what I allow myself a day most of the time. It is more to make sure I am eating what I should be eating for a healthy diet. I have a feeling if I don't use it as the tool it is. I will let other things fall by the way side too. I have found a great food life style that works for me, I think I will stick with it.

I pretty much set up the night before what I am going to eat the next day. Breakfast and lunch are pretty much the same everyday. When I am at the camp grounds I don't worry about it so much. I know about what I eat and it works out fine. Just think it is a nice tool to keep me on track.

Last edited by Shy Moment; 01-29-2008 at 01:24 PM.
Shy Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:46 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

I still use fitday for maintenance. I had stopped, but a few pounds had started to creep back on, so I started tracking again. I don't use it during vacations or on special days (anniversary, birthday, etc.) though. I just try to have fun and make good decisions during those times.

I also like to use it to track my vitamin intake, so it's helpful for that.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 01:56 AM   #6  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

While I was trying to reach my goal, I kept my food journal on paper. After reaching goal and switching to calorie counting, I used Fitday for about 6 months. I think it stresses me more than just keeping my written journal. So, 4 weeks ago I went back to just writing my food down. I keep my food log in the kitchen and it is handy. If I have any question about the calorie of a certain food, I will use Fitday to look it up and just write it on my paper. I still know that I'm not ready to give up having my food journal.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 07:58 AM   #7  

Height: 5'7"

Tara! I've been wondering where you've been.

I always keep track of what I eat in a small notebook. I don't like fitday because I have to have access to the computer, and putting in my own foods was kind of a pain if I remember. The notebook is quick, portable, and private. I know the calorie counts of almost everything I eat, or I'll look them up in a little book or on line occasionally, or sometimes just guess by estimating the portion size and knowing things like a wet starch (rice, cooked pasta, potato) is about 100 calories/ half cup and fats are about 100 cal/Tbsp, and making a stab at the veggies and protein based on what I usually eat and assuming that there is added fats/oils or less lean cuts when I go out.

I'm not sure I think a food log is always a good thing though. I seem to often use it as an excuse to eat more if I'm under my calories for the day, even if I'm not really hungry. I've also been doing it so long, that I'll shamelessly record even a 4000 calorie day without much thought. In other words, having to write it down is no longer a deterrent. I do find it can moderate my snacks or dinner if I'm on my way to having a bad day though, just because I'm aware.

I don't think there is anything magical about it though. The trick is not to eat mindlessly and whatever helps you to do that is good. I've actually been much less consistent about recording my intake now that I'm pregnant, than I have been for the last 5 years.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:06 AM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I quit Fitday as a steady thing months and months and months ago. I eat basically the same things day after day, if I recall you do too, correct me if I'm wrong. There's just no need for me to plug in the same yogurt, salad, salmon, green beans, etc.. day after day.

Just because I'm not writing things down doesn't mean that I'm not tracking my calories and that I am not totally and completely aware of what's going down my throat. Because I am. I just don't see the need to write it in Fitday.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:00 AM   #9  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Tara! I've been wondering how you've been too!

I used to use fitday, but it became a big PITA for me. When my maintenance was going well and I was staying at or under goal, I didn't log my food at all. However, if I have any relapses, logging food seems to be the thing that helps me lose it again the most. I log on the accountability threads here in the forums though -- I can just write down either the calories written on the packaging, or I can look them up in fitday or calorie-count.com or wherever I can find them. It is easier not to have to enter them in fitday though because I eat such a variety of foods that I used to have to enter custom foods at least 5-6 times a week.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 10:49 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

I'm not using Nutridiary much at the moment either. My breakfast is always around 300, lunch between 300-400. I always have similar snacks in the afternoon and cooking dinner within my calorie range has become second nature. I always know if I've had too much or whether I have a little leftover for a sweet snack in the evening. I do still enter recipes into Nutridiary though: I want to make sure my batches of soup work out to be around 300 calories.

I think if you have an established routine and keep an ongoing mental tally throughout the day, you don't necessarily need to actually log for maintenance. One just needs to be certain that one knows what one is eating each day.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:21 AM   #11  
Maintainer

S/C/G: 200/129/135

Height: 5'6"

I used fitday for about a year, and it was hugely helpful, but now I've stopped cause I just don't really feel I need it. However, if my eating gets out of control, I would definitely start doing it again.
nineteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:53 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I use the trusty pen and tablet method. I log everything and plan ahead.
It only takes me about 5 minutes to plan my meals I usually do it in the evening but actually did my planning after breakfast today.I have nothing against the online diaries, I just find it to convenient to plan ahead with paper and pen.I keep a copy of calorie king by my side to look up calorie counts.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 01:24 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I've gotten to the point where I do it all in my head. Fitday is nice, but I used it mainly to see the mix of protein/carbs/fat--not the calories because I judge my calories pretty well already. I have rough estimates of 200-300 for breakfast 300-400 for lunch and 500-600 for dinner and snacks are usually around 100 so that puts me at about 1200-1400 per day which is what I need. I tried writing it down and got bored with that as well because I was eating the same things time and time again. One thing that did work though, I would create a weekly menu with my usual choices for breakfast, lunch and snacks and then add a week's worth of dinner ideas--all with the calories beside each choice. Then I'd print out several copies and just highlight what I ate each day and added it up at the end (or just before deciding on the right dinner to compliment the calories I'd already consumed that day). That worked really well for me. I always left room for "extras" that I would write in if needed.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:14 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 215/163/135

Every few months, I seem to have a 3 month fling with it.

I have "dated" Fitday since 2003, apparently...I was stunned to log in again last year (the "Oh yeah, Fitday!" moment) and realize that I had been a member of the site for that long!

I am just about to dump it again (until the next plateau).
Erinyes74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 09:55 PM   #15  

S/C/G: S:157/C:121/G:125

I think that posting this actually triggered a little fitday restart over the past week. That and a few extra pounds after an out of town trip!
Tara D is offline   Reply With Quote