Old 01-28-2008, 07:30 PM   #1  
Queen Yo-yo

S/C/G: 185/169.2/135

Height: 5'4"

Default My Concern with the Daily Chat Thread

Hey all!!
Let me start this off by saying that I understand it was a consensus to start up the daily chat thread, and I don't want to come across as whiny/ignorant/pushy, or anything of the sort. I certainly understand that people felt it was daunting to come across a weekly chat that was carrying on three pages ahead of when they last checked.

The one issue that I'm really having with the daily thread is as such... I've had a very busy day, and I've only got five minutes right now, which I'm using to compose this thread.

Usually, if I had a day like this, I would check in at the end of the day and reply to everyone, see how their days went, comment on things, etc. I LOVE coming into the thread and seeing peoples' responses BACK to me.

But after a day like today, the "daily" thread has piled up, I might not get to reply until midnight-ish, when NORMAL people have gone to bed... tomorrow, someone starts up a new daily thread, and no one goes back to yesterday's thread to get my responses/replies. I feel like there's no point in checking in on everyone's days anymore, because no one's going to go back or check it out anyhow, you know? And if they DO, they have to open a couple of windows and reply to yesterday's threads in the NEW thread, and... it's gotta get confusing!

I'm just wondering what people think.... and if it's still a consensus to stick with the daily one, that's totally cool. Just figured I'd express my concerns.

<3 to you all, I hope you all had a happy healthy day, and I'll reply to peeps at about 1 am.. when I'm done all my classes and workshops and meetings for the night... Phew!!!
Jelbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:38 PM   #2  

Height: 5'7"

I went over to 30-somethings and checked out how they handle that concern, and it seems like they -- well, they don't do anything about it. I was curious as to if anyone took the time to respond to the previous day's posts IN the next morning's thread, and nope, didn't happen.

Isn't it the same as when someone comes in on a Sunday to reply and then that thread gets buried in favor of the new week's thread? Just on a more regular basis?

I dunno, I don't think anyone's going to feel *that* strongly about the form of the chat thread. I certainly don't mind one way or another, but I do know I will post more personal responses in daily threads than the weekly ones, because I get so behind it's daunting.

Perhaps we just shouldn't have any stigma against posting in the previous day's chat thread, if there's a line of thought that's still interesting and doesn't get carried over into the new one?

Or we can go back to the weekly one.

Decisions, decisions
suitejudyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:41 PM   #3  

Oh, my other thought would be if consensus is to stay with daily (which we won't know til other people show up to weigh in), and if you're going to be posting around midnight or close enough (doesn't have to technically be tomorrow), why don't you start up tomorrow's thread? That way people get to see how you're doing in the new thread and keep you as part of the conversation.

I dunno, it's an idea.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:48 PM   #4  

Height: 5'5"

hmm well i feel the same way about the planning thread (prefer it daily) so i dont really have any good suggestions! otherwise too overwhelming!
readyfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 11:08 PM   #5  
Goddess

S/C/G: 244.6/212.8/135

Height: 5'1/2"

One thing that might help is if the person that starts up the new daily thread also posts the link to the last daily thread. That way people won't have to search for it and they will be more likely to click on it and see what has happened since they last checked.
SlimmingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:03 AM   #6  
Sleek and Fit. Finally.

S/C/G: 159/139.4/135

Height: 5'5"

Jess,

I never even thought of that. But it's so true.

Slimming down might have a good solution.

Hmmm, maybe we can try the daily thread this week? If it doesn't work, how about we just go back to the weekly thread next week?

I have to say the daily thread is absolutely nuts! I don't think I can keep up with today's stuff.
Cats tongue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 01:01 AM   #7  
Queen Yo-yo

Yeah.. I'm not even gonna bother trying for today, someone's gonna make a new thread soon anyhow.

I dunno. I mean. I guess I just figure that with the weekly threads, you can just catch up with the people at the end if it's too much to go through a bunch of pages, but this way... you fall behind, you miss three threads worth of info that disappear down the "not recently updated" thread list...

I agree that we should try it out this week. Why try to force/argue a decision without experiencing all available options?

Slimmingdown did indeed have a good idea, too.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:10 AM   #8  
Determined

S/C/G: 260/266/180

Height: 5'6

They are too daunting for me! There are so many posts, I feel like mine's just gonna get lost.
twirlandswirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 07:47 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 187/*ticker*/135

Height: 5'3"

So I started the daily chat with a link for Mondays thread. Let me know if it works out for you guys. I personally love the idea of a daily thread. I usually end up not even posting on the weekly because I get so far behind. So, I end up disappearing for a while and when I feel up to posting, I come back. Then usually I get no responses anyway. I like this idea. But I guess not everyone feels the same. It's probably just 6 of one half a dozen of the other, really.
HappyMomma05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 07:53 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 150/ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

Hey,
First, thanks Jess for being open and honest!! I can definitely understand your concerns, and even though I initially suggested the daily thread, I'm definitely not married to the idea!!
I wasn't on at all yesterday and haven't seen the thread, but I'm always up for trying new things and changing back again if it doesn't work. So, like everyone else, that's what I think.
S
shrinkinglizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 10:10 AM   #11  
Beyonce got NOTHIN on me

S/C/G: 180/ticker/127ish?

Height: 5'4.5"

My thinking is: it's the same number of posts to read whether its daily or weekly anyway, just split into different threads. If you missed 3 days of posts, you have the option of either going back to all the missed daily threads and reading them or ignoring everything but the current day; yet even in a weekly thread you can do that, just read/reply to the most recent ones or the ones you have time to read. I think Jess makes a good point that for those of us who DO like to keep up with the last few days, separating them into daily threads makes it seem pointless as no one will be talking about the topics discussed yesterday, yet for people who get overwhelmed by days and days of missed posts, you always have the option to only read the most recent ones (or what you have time for) on the weekly thread, so everyone wins.

Just a thought...
bodyTOObootylicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:26 AM   #12  

Yeah, you can just read a couple of posts in the weekly chat, but I feel awful responding to just a few when there are SO many who would respond to absolutely everyone. I feel like a support-mongerer. Which is avoided in the daily thread solution.

But why are we assuming that all discussion ends at midnight each night? Why can't we still talk in yesterday's thread if there is still stuff to be discussed? Put all your new news in the new thread, but continue talking about people's old news in the old thread?
Old 01-29-2008, 12:30 PM   #13  
Queen Yo-yo

Booty: Exactly my point.

Judy: I think it's not so much that the conversations HAVE to end, it just makes it more difficult to carry on a conversation when you split the thread into two. The conversations will just.. logically not flow as well if everyone has to go back and read the old thread in order to reply or.. do what I do, which is answer everything on that page, the copy and paste it on to the next... NOW I have to copy and paste everything into a brand new thread...

I dunno. I guess we'll just throw up a poll at the end of the week, if more people are in favour of daily chats, then we stick with that?

Last edited by Jelbb; 01-29-2008 at 12:32 PM.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:37 PM   #14  

yep, a poll sounds like the way to go
Old 01-29-2008, 12:38 PM   #15  

I agree. It's hard to keep up convos from previous days. Honestly, even though the "week" got long I really felt like we were all having a big group conversation.
CookieMonster416 is offline   Reply With Quote