Old 01-28-2008, 06:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/198/150

Height: 5'7"

Default need decision help...

Hi,
I was formally a Beacher,but didn't last long.
I've been thinking about WW,but my hubby thinks its silly to pay to hear
about how to lose weight.
I've tried to tell him it's the support you get more than anything,but he still thinks it's silly.
I have some WW books(eating out & food companion) that are about 2-3 years old.
Would it be wrong if I went every other week instead of every week?I may could talk him into that for now,then maybe progress from there.
thanks,
bec
beliter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 06:37 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 163/Ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Personally, I love WW. I follow the flex plan and enjoy the meetings very much. And I don't pay to hear how to lose weight, I give and receive support and am given the tools to be successful. I also feel accountable for my weekly actins each time I go step on the scale.

However, if you join I would get the updated program materials.

We Alabama gals gotta stick together!

Good luck!

Last edited by crbowles; 01-28-2008 at 06:38 PM.
crbowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 08:44 PM   #3  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

S/C/G: 206/180/155

Height: 5'3 1/2"

beliter Best of luck to you. I hate to tell you, but as far as I know you can't go to WW every other week, you will have to pay for the week you are missing in between. You would be better off buying some kind of multi-week package, you get so many weeks at a reduced price.

Maybe you could make a deal with DH to try for a couple months, and see how it works for you. Maybe if you could work out a deal where you get to spend so much on WW and he gets to spend so much on something he wants.

WW is a wonderful thing. You go and learn how to be healthier, make some friends, get inspired and inspire others. It's sharing experiences and finding out your little food sneaking habit isn't so unique , I hope you get to experience it!
kelijpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 08:50 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 185/168/150

Height: 5'8

I buy a monthly pass.It gives you unlimited meetings and free etools for 39.95ish.Don't know if they have that where you are.But yes you would have to pay for the week in between your every other unless you were a lifetime member.I stopped going for a year,I had the tools,but I just didn't try.I started back to meetings this month and it has me back on track.
Also check out the msg boards on WW.com they are free.
fitbyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:39 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 199.5/186/135

I have joined WW many times in the past and never got to goal because I thought I knew enough and could do it on my own. Nope, I personally couldn't. There are lots of people here who do and have though. It's really a personal decision. I love my meetings, my leader and my new friends that I have made at my meetings. We all have a common goal and many of us have the same eating issues. It's nice to know we're not alone. My leader drops me a postcard every once in a while for incentive to stick with it. That's my own personal input.

You know, many times it has been about the money. But when I seriously started to looking at why I always put myself last, it didn't matter anymore. I gave everyone else attention and spent money on them. I don't smoke, drink, we don't eat out much, we go to the movies maybe twice a year. It's my one "habit" that I spend money on every month (I buy the monthly pass at 39.95). And to me it's worth every penny. Every once in a while I buy a new cookbook but I love cookbooks and there's always a sale it seems at WW
Rosegarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 10:11 PM   #6  

thanks,
I didn't think I could go every other week without paying for the ones I missed.
I tried to talk to him again,he still thinks it's a silly idea.
I don't do anything for myself,I use to scrapbook,but not much anymore.
The meeting is Thursday so I have alittle more time to talk to him about it,and make up my mind.
bec
Old 01-29-2008, 08:18 AM   #7  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

I think the question should be whether or not you think it is a silly idea, not your husband. He's not the one losing weight, right? I'm wondering why he isn't more supportive of you, but that is another topic!

I am a lifetime WW member, and I still attend meetings weekly - for the support! Since I am a lifetime member at or below my goal, my meetings are free though. I think the support is really what keeps me going. I stopped going to meetings for a while and found I would gain some weight back, plateau (if I was trying to lose) or just lose momentum altogether. So for me, I need the support. Everyone is different though.

And yes, WW teaches you how to eat in a better way - how to make a lifestyle change. Again, some people need the support of a meeting to be able to do this while others don't.

That being said - if you went every other week, you would have to pay for your "missed" meetings, so it isn't worth it to do that. If you pay per week. two weeks would be $26. A monthly pass averages you about $9.22 a month AND comes with online tools (which I use every day and absolutely love).

Let us know the decision you make! Good luck!
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:43 AM   #8  
Made of Starstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by beliter View Post
thanks,
I didn't think I could go every other week without paying for the ones I missed.
I tried to talk to him again,he still thinks it's a silly idea.
I don't do anything for myself,I use to scrapbook,but not much anymore.
The meeting is Thursday so I have alittle more time to talk to him about it,and make up my mind.
bec
Let me tell you. Nothing I've ever spent money has been MORE worth it. My health, my energy, knowing how to eat better and feeling better about myself.

Yes, some people think it's silly when they can just "do it on their own", but do they really? Some, yes. Some, no. The whole point of WW is to be able to compare notes as a group! I LOVE the weekly accountability. And the meetings are truly motivating on weeks that I'm not feeling my best. Find the right leader & group & the meetings are upbeat, positive experiences.

I've found that I can't/won't do it "on my own". It's one of the reasons I'm on 3FC so much ^^

Any healthy way that you can lose weight is the right way, and if it means you have to spend a little money, then so what?

I agree that you should at least try it out for a few weeks. Who knows? Maybe you'll decide it's not for you at all, then you don't "waste" any more money. Maybe you'll find out that you simply love the atmosphere and stay!

It may be nice to compromise with your husband by telling him you'd at least like to try it out, and it's a good idea as kelijpa said to let him have fun with a little money.

And there's always the monthly pass which is less money per week paid on a monthly basis. I use that, and I love it.

I don't think that your husband will still find it "silly" if you decide the program is right for you and end up losing all the weight that you want to ^^
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 07:47 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 199/191/179

Height: 5' 5-1/2"

I have to agree with the others. I have all the info from a few years ago, but I need to "pay" somebody to weigh me in and help keep me accountable. I always read up on different programs/plans/ways of eating, and I KNOW exactly what I am "supposed" to do to get to my goal weight.

I have taken the plunge to recommit (yet again) this morning.

You should do what's right for you. Find out if your local WW has any deals/specials going on. Sometimes insurance will help cover some of the costs.

YOU are worth the expense. Your health is worth it. The $13/week (or whatever it is in your area) is well worth the expense to change your eating habits for a healthy lifestyle. The meetings are great for support, meeting people with similar goals who won't sabotage your efforts.

Good luck in whatever you decide!
dolphn545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 07:48 PM   #10  

thanks all,
I'm thinking of the at home version,especially since I won't have to worry
about paying for the meetings.
I found the at home board here.
I'm still making up my mind.
thanks for sticking with me.
bec
Old 01-29-2008, 09:14 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 199.5/186/135

You're welcome in many boards even if you do it at home Beliter - it's whatever works for you. I know there are many people here who use just the boards. The support and suggestions are wonderful here.
Rosegarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:55 PM   #12  
Made of Starstuff

Also, if you choose to try the at home version, remember you'll still have everyone here in the WW area, and all of 3FC to help support you virtually on your way!!!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 10:01 PM   #13  

thanks everyone
bec
Old 02-07-2008, 02:06 PM   #14  
banned

maybe try core its like sb only better! and you can go every other but they are still gonna charge you to pay for missed meetings. maybe go to one meeting and do the rest@home?
andreaphilip3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 06:15 PM   #15  

have you decided what you are going to do yet? i hope you can find something that works for you!
caitbeans is offline   Reply With Quote