Old 01-28-2008, 04:08 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/195/150

Height: 5'6"

Default Question on counting

I came across rockinrobin's recipe making roasted green beans and tried it. Boy they were really good. I am not sure how to go about finding the calorie counts for them. How would I count just a general sautee of different veggies in Olive Oil, freash garlic, salt? I have been learning so much and really becoming aware of what food is instead of just eating. Even tho I joined awhile back I am only now starting to focus. There were so many "diets" that I would just walk away. I really feel that counting calories is the best way to go and to keep it off forever.
sunflower48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 04:15 PM   #2  
TBL Red Team Member

S/C/G: 132/129/120

Height: 5'4.5"

Sunflower, I put all my recipes in at DailyPlate.com. You go to add an item, then click on recipe, and you can put even brand-specific things in and then divide by the number of servings. Pretty helpful!
Scenestealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 04:20 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 149/ticker/120

Height: 5'3"

Sunflower - congrats on your weight loss so far!

I don't even bother to count the calories in fibrous veggies (usually anything green) like green beans, lettuce, broccoli, etc.

I do count things I would cook them in like olive oil by measuring it out and looking at the label to see what the calories per serving are.

If I was counting the calories in green beans, for example.. I would weigh them and look up the nutritional values online. Either where Laura suggested or fitday or what I use, nutridiary.com The USDA also has calorie counts for foods online that I'm sure would be easy to find via google.
Tamsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 04:52 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 174/See Ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

I didn't realize you could put recipes in at tdp. I'm so excited now. I had just been trying to figure it all out by hand. This is so much easier. Wow, I've learned so much here. Thanks.
marie8674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 04:57 PM   #5  
Im a work in progress!!

sunflower,
Do you know where the recipe is located? It sounds really yummy!!
CountryGirl18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 05:52 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 200/195/150

Height: 5'6"

I am unable to post a link so it is in the 100 lb club onder support and the thread is called ----Weekly Weigh In: January 14-20
it is on page 2. This one has onions added and there is another one she posted that doesnt have onions in it. Your choice.

I have to say that they are really, really good. If you search back she has some other great sounding recipes too. She seems to be my iinspiration and motivator but she has no clue who I am or that she is a big part of my starting out successfully. I hope she doesnt mind.

Thank you everyone for your help. I tend to make up a batch of veggies and just munch away. I guess I need to start really paying attention and weighing. In my mind veggies are a "free" food. But I guess not. I need to measure the Olive Oil.

I bought FitDay PC today and am having to add everything in there. I will have to google and sort.

There is so much to learn and I really thank you all for helping!!
sunflower48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:02 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 149/ticker/120

Height: 5'3"

Sunflower - in my mind, veggies are a "free food" You'd have to eat a **** of a lot of green beans to gain weight

If having them as a free food works for you, then do that!

The olive oil, I'd definitely count.
Tamsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:38 AM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Hey, sorry, I just saw this thread. Hi Sunflower. Now I know who you are!!! Hello, nice to "meet" you. I'm glad I can be of help to you.

This really is a learning experience and you will see that the healthy eating and all the "tips" and "tricks" will evolve as you continue on in your journey. I just HAD to come up with some good recipes. The only way I would stick to this new lifestyle of mine is if I found really good foods to eat. I LOVE food and I'm not willing to compromise on taste just because I want to be thin. Through experimenting and tweaking I think I have!!

Here's the recipe. I have since updated it and now I add chopped garlic and onions about 1/2 way through cooking.

Roasted Green Beans

Make a lot, they really are yummy.

-Green beans, rinsed and trimmed.
-Spray a large cooking sheet with cooking spray.
-Lay beans on in as much as a single layer as possible.
-I add tons of fresh coarsely chopped garlic and a little sea salt
-Spray beans with some more cooking spray
-Place in 400 degree oven for about 30-40 mins, turning every now and then, til they get almost brownish and wrinkly.
-ENJOY!!

It make take a few times til you get it down "pat" and find the way that you like them best.

As far as making veggies a "free" food, well I for one don't. I eat an ENORMOUS amount of veggies. They probably make up about 2/3 of my daily intake. If I were to make them a free food, well I would probably GAIN weight, not lose.

Green beans are appox 1.75 calories a piece. I can easily devour 40 or 50 of them at a time, maybe more, so I really do need to count them (and all veggies) into my daily calorie allotment. I find the cooking spray is just as good as the olive oil in many, many recipes. I've tried them both ways and the cooking spray is just fine in this particular recipe.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:43 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 155/135

Height: 5'5"

That is very similar to how I make potatoes. Its a great alternative when I am craving french fries. After a couple times of eating roasted "fries" the true fries don't even taste as good.
Just Deb is offline   Reply With Quote