Weight Loss News and Current Events Discuss the latest weight loss news headlines and major events.

Old 01-27-2008, 09:32 AM   #1  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Default US Weekly mag got me :)

I've never bought Us Weekly mag before, but the cover pic of a beautiful young lady in a bikini, holding a young baby, with headline "Trista's US Exclusive How I Got My Body Back! 30 Pounds in 5 Months - Her exact diet & Workout" got me to buy it. I should have saved my $4.79

OK, I don't even KNOW who Trista Sutter is...I guess she's a model who recently had a baby. The article says that the first 15 lbs. lost was right after delivery, so she worked hard to lose the remaining, and toned up her body very well.

What really annoyed me was reading through the mag (full of people I don't know - oh gosh I guess I am middle-aged ) but then there was an article on up-and-coming models - "Tyra Banks will welcome these 14 beauties to the CW hit starting Feb. 20" and Whitney, aged 20, sez - "I'm sick of this industry of emaciated women!" the single, plus-size (she's an 8) model tells Us.

Size 8 is plus-size???? I'm dying to be an 8 again!?!

Crazy.

Last edited by VermontMom; 01-27-2008 at 09:33 AM. Reason: spelling error!
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 09:54 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Well, did she say what she did to lose it?
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 11:35 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 185/168/150

Height: 5'8

Trista was on the bachelorette.I am not a fan of reality tv but they made a huge fuss over it and had this huge wedding on TV.Didn't watch that either lol but I read mag covers when I am in line at the grocery store.
fitbyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 11:42 AM   #4  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by VermontMom View Post
OK, I don't even KNOW who Trista Sutter is...I guess she's a model who recently had a baby.
The Bachelorette star Trista Sutter married Ryan Sutter in Dec 2003 and welcomed their son, Maxwell Alston Sutter in July 2007.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 11:45 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 163/Ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

If a size 8 is considered "plus size", then I'm in! =0)
crbowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 03:09 PM   #6  
ur gettin' schooled, son.

S/C/G: 164/157/143

Height: 5'7"

It isn't really plus sized to be an 8 anywhere else in the country besides California, New York, Washington D.C. and other major cities. Once you get to these areas, 4 is average sized for a woman. 6 is chubby and 8 is where you begin to balloon. I learned that lesson real quick.

Anyways, that Trista girl has husband I wouldn't want for myself. She said in another article that when she would start to eat something she shouldn't, her husband (the bachelor) would shake his finger at her and go, "Uh, uh, uh!" and she thought that was just so sweet of him to keep her on track. She just had a baby, was size 4, but wanted to fit back into her size 26 Hudson jeans (size 2) because she hated her belly flab.
Mizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 03:52 PM   #7  
Method to the Madness

S/C/G: 381.4/in the middle/160

Height: 5'9

From what I understand, it's not that size 8 is considered plus size PERIOD, but simply plus size for a model. I think most regular/runway models are teensy (like size 2), but when it comes to plus size modeling, I think this is the thought process: They know they can't use size 2 women to model plus size clothing. That would be too obvious, BUT at the same time they think/know that they're less likely to sell items if they actually feature plus sized people wearing their clothing because we don't want to look like Sarah who's a size 14/16/18 (according to them!). We want to look like Tina who's a size 8 (because she looks healthy and not like a twig from the runway). Take a look in catalogs like Roaman's. None of their models are fat. Basically it all boils down to the fact that they're not selling you a shirt, but they're selling you the dream that you'll look like the model when you wear that shirt, IMO.

That's just what I've come up with, though! Others may have different opinions and expertise.

Edited to add: I know that some companies do feature ACTUAL plus sized models that fit in their clothing, like Torrid and even Lane Bryant (I think their models are sometimes size 14/16).

Last edited by LindseyLouWho; 01-27-2008 at 03:55 PM.
LindseyLouWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 07:33 PM   #8  
Biker Chick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
Yes..her 'slimming secrets' are - if you're eating out, immediately halve your meal before starting (that's good sense to me); substitute with diet-friendly desserts such as strawberries dipped in Cool Whip Lite; never eat fried food;
and to try to include all food groups in a meal - make sure there's a colorful food (naturally colored ).

She's breasfeeding, so she kept to 2000 calories a day.

Her workout = four hourlong sessions a week with a trainer; and a three mile walk with baby ( I guess in a stroller) and a workout DVD the other days, for a total of 6 days a week of working out.

Her sample diet included things I'm not familiar with, such as "Sambazon Supergreens Revolution Organic Acai Smoothies" and Muscle Milk Light shakes; along with salads, snacks of fresh fruit, regular pb and j or grilled cheese on whole wheat.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:34 PM   #9  
Biker Chick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
Yes..her 'slimming secrets' are - if you're eating out, immediately halve your meal before starting (that's good sense to me); substitute with diet-friendly desserts such as strawberries dipped in Cool Whip Lite; never eat fried food;
and to try to include all food groups in a meal - make sure there's a colorful food (naturally colored ).

She's breasfeeding, so she kept to 2000 calories a day.

Her workout = four hourlong sessions a week with a trainer; and a three mile walk with baby ( I guess in a stroller) and a workout DVD the other days, for a total of 6 days a week of working out.

Her sample diet included things I'm not familiar with, such as "Sambazon Supergreens Revolution Organic Acai Smoothies" and Muscle Milk Light shakes; along with salads, snacks of fresh fruit, regular pb and j or grilled cheese on whole wheat for lunches.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:19 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Her diet plan seems pretty sensible to me. If you need to lose 10 pounds or a hundred it is a big deal to the person wanting to lose it. I applaud anyone who can lose before it gets to the 100 pound stage. It is easy to just shrug it off and say "aw it's only 10 pounds". When you keep putting it off it only gets worse. Been there, done that.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 03:33 PM   #11  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Didn't really read all the posts but...my thinking is that she is not speaking of women in general, maybe but with her being a model maybe she is thinking that for a model that is a plus size. Okay, so I am giving her the benefit of the doubt. I too would love to see a size eight but seeing as I have never worn an 8 it will never happen. To me that is skinny and too skinny for me. But I did see the front of the mag at the front of the grocery check out.

And Trista Sutter is really not a celebrity...don't know why these people who do reality shows go on to get their own show and people treat them like a star. She was on The Bachelor and then got her own show...the Bachelorette...never watched it but hear enough about her.
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote