100 lb. Club - Shoe sizes

View Full Version : Shoe sizes

timkerbelle
01-27-2008, 12:14 AM
I have noticed as I have gained weight that my feet have gotten significantly bigger. It makes sense of course, added pressure on them as well as more padding.
What I'm wondering is - does it go back to how it was when you get lighter again? I would love to have my small feet back - its so easy to find nice shoes on sale then :p

LittleMissMotivation
01-27-2008, 12:46 AM
Do you mean width or length? I wouldn't think they would grow in length, though sometimes they'll grow a tiny bit during pregnancy.. If they grow in length (which would be weird if you're over your teens), that would be strange - I wouldn't think they'd shrink back smaller.. But if they're just fatter, they should slim down.

Maybe the width has just changed so you need a bigger shoe even though the length of the foot hasn't changed.. Like I'll see a difference in small clothes that still technically "fit" but ride up like a belly shirt since I'm taking up more volume.

RoyalAthena
01-27-2008, 02:11 AM
Well, I used to wear a size 9 1/2 - 10 Wide. Now, I wear a size 9M...sometimes a 8 1/2. A couple of weeks ago I put on a pair of 9 1/2 Wide heels that I hadnt tried on in quite some time and they were gushing off my feet. If I were to keep them I would have to get padding put in them to keep them on. For me, I think my feet shrank all over....I'm not sure if they are finished. I hope so because I REALLY like all the new heels I bought ;)

melekalikimaka
01-27-2008, 02:32 AM
My "normal" shoe size at a normal weight would be a size 9M. Being pregnant, and then staying big for years after, my feet were a 9-1/2W or 10M. I know that I had at least a couple of pairs of leather shoes that I could not wear once I lost some weight, since they were stretched out and way too big afterward. So I would say yes, if you lose a significant amount of weight, your feet would probably get smaller, at least width-wise.

I had a weird problem recently. I always buy New Balance shoes for exercise and I could always but a 9-1/2W right off the store shelf without trying them on and they would fit like a dream. I have probably bought at least 10 pairs like this. But just last month, I had a brand new pair which after I wore once, hurt my feet like heck. I realized the shoes were a tad too big and my feet were slipping and there was creasing in the toe area when I walked. This really bummed me out because I really love NB shoes. I took the pair back to the store and luckily they exchanged them for me for a regular 9-1/2M. I don't know if this was a freak occurence or if my feet have actually gotten less wide after losing a bit of weight :shrug: :lol:

twirlandswirl
01-27-2008, 02:35 AM
I have and always HAD really wide feet. I grew up in Hawaii, never really wearing shoes all the often, so my feet grew without popular Western constraint. To this day, I still rarely wear more than flip flops. So, I assume my feet will always be wide. (I wear an 8.5 W, by the way.)

However, my feel are... tall? I guess that's the best way to put it. I can't stuff them into cute shoes without pudge muffin-topping over, so hopefully THAT will go away.

twirlandswirl
01-27-2008, 02:36 AM
Interestingly, I notice I posted this just below someone else from Hawaii! I should read the whole thread before I post....

its my time
01-27-2008, 02:38 AM
Yes your feet do gain and lose weight also I use 2 be a 10-11, now I am a 8-9,

denialisnthappiness
01-27-2008, 03:00 AM
Yup. I'm going on UK sizes here but I used to be around an eight/eight and a half - now I can fit into sixes! I've never had 'little' feet before :o

JayEll
01-27-2008, 06:41 AM
I don't know--as people age, their feet and hands keep growing. I used to be a 7-1/2 and now I'm a 9 or 9-1/2. Losing weight didn't seem to change this. I also have a narrow foot, and that didn't change either.

Jay

vek
01-27-2008, 08:47 AM
I used to be a 4, now I'm almost a 6! In a way, is better, cause is not easy to find nice shoes in 4.:dizzy:

Meg
01-27-2008, 08:56 AM
I lost between 1/2 and a whole size in length and went from a W to M width. :)

It's a shame because I have beautiful dress shoes that are too big now. I've bought insoles for them to try to make them fit and even stuffed tissues in the toes of my shoes for DD's wedding. :lol:

suesully
01-27-2008, 09:05 AM
However, my feel are... tall? I guess that's the best way to put it. I can't stuff them into cute shoes without pudge muffin-topping over, so hopefully THAT will go away.

I love how you put that! :D That was my biggest problem in that I had to wear those ballerina type flats or lace-ups with the laces way loose to fit. I hated that.

It's true that as you age that your feet flatten somewhat & get bigger. I'm wondering if my weight also helped that along as they don't seem to be getting smaller size wise but I don't need the extra wide width & I don't have pudgy toes & puffy feet tops anymore.

nelie
01-27-2008, 09:06 AM
I used to be a size 10.5/11 W, now I'm a 9/9.5 W. I need my width to go down but it hasn't. My shoe size has definitely shrunk though.

tingirl
01-27-2008, 09:34 AM
Yep mine went down as well. I used to wear 8 - 8 1/2 W and now I wear a comfortable 7 1/2 in most shoes.

bargoo
01-27-2008, 10:08 AM
When you gain weight you gain weight all over. I used to wear size 8 shoe and sometimes size 9 now I wear 7 1/2.Your ring size will be smaller,too.

Trazey34
01-27-2008, 11:39 AM
omg this has been my favourite side-effect of dropping some tonnage!!! I would always wear BIRKS in summer (ewwww!) and boring flat lace up shoes in winter cuz the pudge muffin on top!!!

NOW however, i'm spending $$$ left & right on new shoes heheheheh I actually have some wedge heels with the strap going over the top of your foot by the toes! are you even kidding me??? I went from 10 to 9, so still long but it's the width, wayyyyy narrower, just a boring 9 off the rack, not wide! and no muffin pudge! yay!

and boots! boots with heels fit!! of course I still have to get them just to the ankle cuz of the calf situation...but patience!!! that will come too :D

fiberlover
01-27-2008, 12:03 PM
My feet are smaller width wise, but not length wise.

rakel
01-27-2008, 12:04 PM
I've noticed that my shoes are fitting better. For awhile everything was getting tighter. There's a pair of Sketcher boots I bought maybe a year and a half ago. I never really wore them because whem I bought them they were a little tight. Now they fit PERFECTLY. I've always had big feet though, I would be surprised if I could get into a size 9. I've been a size 10 for as long as I can remember. Since highschool, but I was overweight in high school too. So who knows! I can already tell my ring size is getting smaller. My engagement ring likes to go all around my finger -- good thing it's just a simple band with a flat gibson opal stone so it doesn't hurt at all when it spins around.

bluex
01-27-2008, 02:02 PM
Certainly shoe size is not as dramatic a change as clothes but i did see a change as well. I used between a 9 and a 10 for shoes depending on the shoe. Now, I can be between an 8 1/2 or 9, again depending on the shoe. The other thing is that my style in shoe has changed. I liked big clunking shoes that I felt could carry my weight and wouldn't hurt my feet. I am now using shoes i would never use before and I can wear them all day without stress on my feet. It's very nice to look at shoe for looks and not have to worry so much about comfort.

denialisnthappiness
01-27-2008, 03:03 PM
Reading this again just reminded me though... I went shoe shopping today (some lovely black sketchers for work) and tried on the most gorgeous pair of knee high boots - my calves are still too big to get damn knee high boots done up though :( I'm working on it :cry:

NickiB68
01-27-2008, 09:18 PM
I was a size 10 for years. Then I got pregnant with my first child and gained way too much weight. I became a size 11W. Now I am an 11 and have tried on some 10's and they almost fit. I am happy with 11, but would love to be a 10 again...they are so much easier to find.

Shy Moment
01-28-2008, 12:21 AM
I started at a size 1 kids. Went to a 3. Now I am back at a 1 1/2 or a 1. Would have rather stayed at the higher size lol they were easier to find.

Gale02
01-28-2008, 04:51 AM
At my highest weight I was a 8-8 1/2 very consistently. Last time I went shoe shopping I bought 2 pairs of shoes size 6 1/2 and a size 7. My feet have definitely shrunk. I thought it could be just the type of shoe I was buying, but even my professionally fitted running shoes have changed sizes. I bought the exact same running shoes, 1 1/2 sizes smaller.

timkerbelle
01-28-2008, 04:54 AM
Seems like there is hope I will fit into my favourite heels again :D
Can't wait to go shopping for shoes other then my last years standard of comfy trekking shoes

Switzie6
01-28-2008, 11:30 AM
Luckly as I gained weight my shoe size didn't change because I am a size 11. It is hard enough to find cute shoes in an 11, I couldn't even imagine trying to find size 12. My fingers definitely got bigger, I still can't wear the rings I wore everyday before but I am getting close.

OptimistK
01-28-2008, 01:35 PM
I used to wear an 8M for YEARS then gained weigth and went up to a TEN medicum! The good news is with what i've lost I'm currently back down to a 9M and I'm hoping to get back down to an eight when I reach my goal!

LittleMissMotivation
01-28-2008, 02:19 PM
I didn't even know stores carried anything except the regular sizes, I've only bought between 8.5 and 9.0 regulars, with some I passed up because they were too narrow.. Probably a good thing though or else I'd have way more shoes and I already have like 50 pairs. (I bought 90% of them fresh out of HS, or when I was living in the UK. I only wear like 2 of them though cause I'm not into heels lately - don't go anywhere to wear them lol)

LindseyLouWho
01-28-2008, 05:21 PM
I know that my feet have shrunk to some extent because I had a few pairs of shoes that I wore before I started losing weight or right after I started that are WAY too loose now. I found this out the hard way when the first day of school this past fall I wore a pair of shoes that I *knew* fit perfectly, only they didn't go with many of my outfits so I didn't wear them very often. Well, I came home and had blisters on the backs of my heels that were BLEEDING because of them rubbing up against my foot. This never, ever had happened to me before. I've been reluctant to go sockless in anything other than flip flops ever since! Haha

srmb60
01-28-2008, 05:44 PM
Me too. I used to be an 8 1/2 wide and now I'm a 7 1/2 or 8 medium.

Hart
07-05-2008, 10:20 PM
I was just wondering the same thing! I just bought a pair of shoes in an 8 and they fit legnth-wise and lately even smaller flip flops work- I was wearing a 9 1/2 sometimes a 10 in a heel and could get away with a 9 in a shoe without a back. I guess feet can shrink! Now what I can't wait for is to be able to wear all the cute tall boots my fat calves could never fit into!

SoulBliss
07-05-2008, 11:01 PM
At my thinnest before having my DD, I could wear some 8.5 shoes, but was really a 9. Now I am a 9 1/2-10 and have one pair of 11 (but they are a little too big, I only got them because it was a mail order error and they were $4.99 and it would have cost more than that to send them back!).

xxxtine
07-07-2008, 01:34 PM
WHat is DH and DD? I have no clue.

Anywhoo....

I used to be a size 10 normal. Now I am 10 1/2 Wide / 11 Wide. I've always had big honking feet.

Glory87
07-07-2008, 02:14 PM
DH and DD are darling husband and darling daughter (respectively) - no idea where this came from.

Unless shoe companies have started vanity sizing (and I don't put it past them), I went from an 8.5 to an 8 with my 70 lb weight loss. I was never a wide (that I know of, I didn't do much of ANY shopping when I was at my heaviest) but I can now wear a Narrow a lot of the time.

Hey Soulbliss - have you ever used Zappos? Free shipping, both ways! Takes a lot of the risk out of internet shoe ordering, I just love them.

Lemon Eyes
07-07-2008, 10:51 PM
Well before I had my kids and gained weight... oh about 130 pounds ago I wore a size 5 shoe.

I now wear a 9.

So this will be interesting to see if they go down!