Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-26-2008, 02:37 PM   #1  

Height: 5'8"

Default Health insurance, big slap!

I lost my job the end of Aug of 2007, thanks to the mortgage industry crisis. Along with that I lost my health insurance. COBRA payments were ridiculously high. Coverage for just my husband and I was $1800/mo, my mortgage payment isn't even that high! So needless to say, we couldn't afford it.

I was looking under other options and I found a company that had "preferred rates", my husband would pay $140/mo and I would pay $170/mo. That was more reasonable, even when the deductible was extremely high. I just didn't want to be w/o insurance.

My husband got approved and I didn't. I have a heart defect called PFO, something from birth that's relatively common according to my doctor. I don't really have to do anything, except avoid high altitude (there goes my dream of climbing Mt. Everest ), can't go deep sea diving, or lift extremely heavy things. But other than that, I'm pretty much normal.

Well, the whammy came in the mail today, I'm obese and they combined that with my heart condition and say they're denying me coverage.

I know there are other option, but they're extremely expensive and me being out of work doesn't help. My unemployment will be running out the end of next month and I'm feeling so down in the dumps I want to crawl under a rock and stay there forever.

I just wanted to vent, I felt to alone and isolated. I know I'm working on my weight, but that was just like a big slap on my face. It felt like they were saying "we don't care what happens to you, you're fat and you're heart is not perfect so go away".

I can't believe how a country so advanced in other aspects is so backwards when it comes to health care.
friendlykat4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 02:47 PM   #2  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

So sorry!! Hopefully you find a job with benefits soon? Does Rhode Island have some kind of Medi-Caid program that you might be eligible for?
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 02:53 PM   #3  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Ahh...basically the "don't get sick plan". Nice.
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 02:56 PM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I pay for my own health insurance, and I pay a lot more because of my weight--or rather, what my weight used to be (they call it "build" in my policy). I'm working on documenting my weight loss hoping that in a couple of years I can get them to take the rider off.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 03:21 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

Is there a Kaiser Permanente near you? I know they aren't always the favorite option and it can be a drive depending on where they are, but they are usually cheaper. At least that was the case when I lived in California.

It might be wise to try other companies, maybe they don't all have the same guidelines?

Last edited by zenor77; 01-26-2008 at 04:57 PM.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 03:28 PM   #6  

i can't get it either because i am too fat. my mom smokes and she got it just fine.

really frustrating. i've been without healthcare for a while now, and it really sucks. knowing that my weight is worse to them than my mom's blackened lungs.
beautybooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 03:39 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I was once refused group health insurance , where I worked, because I was overweight, that was embarrassing. I had to find my own .
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 03:51 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Friendly - sorry to hear about this... I know it must be very stressful knowing you are not covered. I recently watched Sicko - have you seen it? It sure does make you want to move to Canada - or better yet, France. We all need to remember the mess our health care system is in when we vote this year. Since I doubt that moving is an option, I wish you the best of luck in finding a new job with insurance. In the meantime, take good care of yourself and keep your chin up!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 04:48 PM   #9  
loseweight

S/C/G: S203/C193/G150

Height: 5.6

Hi friendly kate
I am so sorry and I feel your pain. I am in the boat as you. I also lost my job in May 2007. I was also working in the mortgage industry. I got Cobra because I had to have back surgary. (Premiums were high over $550 a month) I just got the coverage for myself. My husband was not covered because we couldn't afford it either. I found out during my blood work for surgary that I had diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholestoral. I lost my Cobra in Dec 2007 because my company declared bankruptcy. I have also been turned down for insurance and I don't know what we will do till I find a job. As you know its hard to find a job in the mortgage industry today. So please hang in there, I pray that we will both get jobs and insurance soon
artinformation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 04:49 PM   #10  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

My husband changed jobs this past summer and we were without health insurance for 90 days. It was scary and I did avoid going to the Dr. during that period. We were quoted that Cobra would have cost us $1100.00 per month during that interim and we couldn't afford it. We did call other private health insurance companies and found out that all my health conditions would be considered pre-existing and not covered. I'm very thankful that we are again covered by his group insurance.

I hope you can find employment with health benefits soon.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 05:26 PM   #11  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Quote:
Originally Posted by modkittn
That is horrible Jay that they just don't remove it now that you are at a healthier weight
I think insurance companies (or at least mine) are interested in seeing that you keep the weight off, not just lose it and then regain it.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 08:34 PM   #12  

Height: 5'8"

Thanks everyone for your kind words and support. I'm keeping my fingers crossed I can find a job with benefits soon.

chick in the hat: Thanks for the hug, I need that today! There are some state plans here in RI, unfortunately I don't fit into any of them.

modkittn: hey there fellow Rhode Islander! I'm glad to hear your cancer is in remission. Are they hiring where you work??? I'm a very hard working girl!

walking2lose: I haven't seen Sicko, is it a documentary? When I told my husband about me being rejected he got very angry. He said "let's pack up our s*&% and move to Canada". I can't see myself moving again. I moved to the US 15 yrs ago and that was not easy on me.

artinformation: not easy finding a job in our field, I'm thinking of changing, but I don't even know what I'd like to do. I hope we find something soon.

zenor77: I went to the website for Kaiser Permanente, they're not here in RI.
friendlykat4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 08:52 PM   #13  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

That is a difficult situation.

I know people in your situation who get jobs at Starbucks just for the insurance!
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 10:00 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Friendly - Yes, Sicko is a documentary about health care. It's a Michael Moore movie (same guy who did Bowling for Columbine). He makes comparisons to Canada and France. I think you should definitely rent it, although it may get your husband more fired up. I don't think the solution is necessarily moving, but maybe electing politicians who will not help the insurance companies and pharmaceutical companies get richer, while millions suffer without insurance at all.
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 01:08 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 240.8/235.2/130

The downside of insurance is, while it is extremely helpful when you need it, the bottom line is that the companies are protecting their bottom line, i.e. they are a for-profit business, which means they're going to minimize the risk of loss to themselves as much as they legally can. It stinks that they denied you coverage, but I'd seriously review other insurance carriers' options, especially if you're in a situation where you may actually need medical care on a regular basis. At the very least, check into medical discount cards for basic stuff -- won't help much in a catastrophic even (like cancer, or car accident) but will help with things like your yearly checkups, etc.

If I were in your situation (and who knows, with the way the economy is going, I might be soon -- my work laid off 11% of their workforce last week) -- I'd seriously check into getting an interim job that had paid benefits until I could get back on my feet. I have a part time job at a national movie rental company that carries benefits for part time employees (I don't need them, as I still have my full time job, but it's nice to know they're there). Just a thought...good luck, and I hope the insurance situation improves for you soon.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote