General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 01-25-2008, 02:21 AM   #1  
Wild Angels

Height: 5'2

Default Emergency Room Lesson

I'm going to share this with everyone, because it truly does illustrate just how important it is to take care of ourselves...

Recently, a teenage boy in my family had to go to the emergency room after a month of not being able to poop (don't know how to say this more politely). Why he waited so long, I can't say. It's a good thing he went when he did because the doctors said that if he had waited a day longer, he would be dead due to his system being so impacted from not being able to poop for so long.

They are currently working on cleaning him out, and he is still at the hospital now. Simply put, he's been told to load up on eating his veggies, drinking water, and fruits. Plus, he must get up and start walking for exercise. This is a boy who loves take outs and playing video games all day.

Now, I have a younger brother myself who, two years ago, had to have emergency surgery to remove some intestines because he literally had a huge blockage in the middle of his intestines that just wasn't letting digested food/drink through. He has been diagnosed as having Crohn's Disease, but I rather suspect it's mainly due to his horrible diet. He literally lives on Mountain Dew and pizzas. Even today, that's all he wants to have, and it's been frustrating trying to get him to eat more veggies and fruits, plus drinking something else.

I know I can't change other people's lives, that I can only change myself and be an example for others. I am trying to do that. I'm posting these stories here so that others out there will realize how much of what we eat really does determine our health issues.
NemesisClaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 04:12 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 318/300/180

Height: 5'3

my sister has always had a problem with constipation.. she would go 3 weeks between bm's and that was her norm.. btw, she lives on donuts, soda, and junk food.. anyhow, a few years ago, she confided to me she hadnt been in over a month.. and felt really ill... i went with her to the dr, they x-rayed her, and told her that there was only one inch left before the fecal matter would back up into her stomach and she would begin to vomit fecal matter... i was so grossed out i couldnt speak... they deimpacted her there and then.. gave her a couple enemas.. sent her home with laxitives as well as told her to take a spoonful of mineral oil three times a day along with eating loads of ruffage... i didnt even know one could vomit fecal matter.. since then i have seen a tv show here in the UK about a woman that did in fact get to that point.. all due to her bad eating habits...i didnt eat the best back then, but thank goodness i have always loved my green veggies and fruit lol... really makes you think when you hear something like this... so, there is a lot to be said for watching what you eat... btw.. my sis still eats junk food, but decided to take laxitives weekly to keep her from getting backed up.. she hates food that is good for you... poor thing lol
remydey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 08:09 AM   #3  
I'm a Loser ;)

S/C/G: SCG: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

My son has had constipation problems since birth - yes birth!

We have been working with doctors and everything to get him to poop on a regular basis - laxitives, enemas, suppositories etc you name it.

There are many days when we can't get him to poop for 2 - 3 weeks... and we end up bringing him in to the hospital. All they do is keep telling me to make sure he is eating a good diet - eat plenty of fibre and drink lots of fluid.

We have even followed a very strict diet by a pediatric nutritionist, and everyone is baffled why he is like this.

He now has Lactuloce - up to 6 tbsp per day depending on how bad he is. Sometimes he'll end up having an accident - which ticks off the schools, but makes me happy that he at leasts poops!

I'm hoping it is something he grows out of because it's frustrating for the whole family.

We've also been giving him an enema every 3 weeks if he isn't pooping at least once a week - dr's orders.

Last edited by tamaralynn; 01-25-2008 at 08:10 AM.
tamaralynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 08:30 AM   #4  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

tamaralynn - I would seriously think about taking your son to a GI doc (gastroenterologist or however you spell it). My younger brother has been seeing one since early in middle school. He was diagnosed with Chron's then (a very young age to get that diagnosis). He had to have surgery twice to remove parts of his intestines (where holes had appeared in them - yes this is a side effect of Chron's when your medication isn't working or when you are first diagnosed). At one point (a few years after he was diagnosed, and he was only complaining of a very upset stomach and cramping), they told my mom if she had waited another day before bringing him to the hospital he would have been dead. They did emergency surgery that day. I don't mean to scare you, but I just want to urge you to see that GI! There are pediatric GIs as well, so you might want to look for one of them or ask your pediatrician to recommend one. My brother didn't have the "no BM" movements you are talking about, but it does sound like there is something going on with your son that merits closer inspection. Good luck!

Last edited by modkittn; 01-25-2008 at 01:54 PM.
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 01:46 PM   #5  

Height: 5'4"

Wow! A whole month? I had those issues when I was pregnant and it was SO uncomfortable. I can't imagine it being a whole month though. Since I've been on WW I've been very regular and it's come out easily (TMI, sorry) thanks to all the fiber!

I hope the boy is okay!
Amy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote