Exercise! - Zumba!

View Full Version : Zumba!

piratexsmile
01-25-2008, 12:26 AM
So about 4 weeks ago I discovered the wonderful world of Zumba. Has anyone else tried it? It's cardio dance based on Latin/Salsa moves and it's SO MUCH fun! I am just wondering if there are any other Zumba obsessed folks around here... and if we might be able to share what songs work! :)

Suzanne 3FC
01-25-2008, 12:34 AM
I've done the DVD, but not the classes. I loved it! It was definitely fun :)

Reddalice
01-25-2008, 10:09 PM
I haven't tried it, but I would like to... it was just yesterday that I was on youtube.com checking it out. The Gold's Gym near by offers it, and I am into live in person classes, so I'll let you know what I think of it.

NotTheCheat
01-25-2008, 10:23 PM
Yes! I love it! I go to New York Sports Club and we have a class on Tuesday nights. Also, the teacher who teaches that class plus another area instructor do some classes on the side and tomorrow I am attending a Zumba master class.

cuppajoe
01-27-2008, 06:38 PM
I have to say it sure looks like fun! I don't think my schedule would let me go to a class, so I'm hovering over buying the dvd's....

cuppajoe

piratexsmile
01-28-2008, 01:06 AM
Nancy- Let me know how the master class is. Good luck :)

Everyone must try it. It's simply so fun. Although I tried to go to a different YMCA for the class on Friday night than I usually go to and it was significantly different and I definitely didn't like it as much. So I think that taking the time to find a great instructor is definitely worth it!

NotTheCheat
01-30-2008, 09:15 PM
The class was good - honestly not ALL that different from a normal class. The instructor does really make it though. There are two instructors in our area - one is fabulous and the other is just ok. I think they are both really nice, so I feel a bit bad saying it, but one is so great at cuing and she moves like a dancer while the other is still fun but ends up having more of an aerobics feel rather than dancing.

vertigoskyy
01-30-2008, 10:23 PM
I've been thinking about trying it out. My gym offers it as a class.

piratexsmile
02-01-2008, 06:24 PM
Vertigo- I would really recommend trying it out. Of course, you'll want to find a good instructor who makes it fun. The woman at the YMCA I go to, Tracy, has such a good time with it and fuses it with hip-hop dance. Sometimes though the fun is what you make of it!! Let us know how you like it :)

pumpkinseed
02-03-2008, 12:37 PM
I've started going a couple of weeks ago and it is fun! I love the music and the beat - I pretend I am a Brazilian hottie doing the samba at carnival!! (a quick glance in the mirror blows that fantasy out of the water unfortunately :o )

I'm glad I tried it!

TERAPET
02-06-2008, 10:44 AM
I go to Zumba classes whenever I can fit them in. They are so much fun. The instructors at our Y crack lots of silly jokes that makes how silly I look bearable. There is lots of laughing during our classes. I love the energy and the mix of all ages too. I am a bit old for this so I really have to tone it down to last the entire hour and not kill myself, but it is really fun.

Nikaia
02-07-2008, 03:31 AM
I tried a class and honestly, I really didn't like it. Largely that was due to the instructor - it was the type of class where nothing is explained, the instructor just goes in full-speed and expects everyone to keep up. I was continually behind, couldn't figure out what was going on, and the instructor didn't seem to care. Not a good experience.

boopei
01-28-2011, 01:02 PM
I absolutely LOVE Zumba!

I started the first of January between Zumba and eating healthy I've trimmed 2" from my hips & bust. Woohoo. I actually love it so much I'm aiming to be at my goal weight by October, and get my certification for Zumba in early 2012 :carrot:

Emme
01-28-2011, 03:10 PM
I really enjoy Zumba! I've been going to classes for about 6 months and it is really entertaining. The hardest part is just trying to learn the steps, but once you've done it for a few weeks you can really get a great workout in.

Aunt Sheshie
02-09-2011, 03:45 PM
Next Monday, I have an appointment to visit a local fitness club for my free trial membership... I saw on their online schedule that they offer zumba classes... I think I'd like to try it... IF it doesn't cost more than I'm prepared to pay to join the club... for sure, the zumba classes are something I'm gonna ask about... sounds like great fun, plus a great workout...

hugs :hug:

Asherdoodles87
02-09-2011, 04:06 PM
I have tried it with some youtube videos, but I would really like to take a class. I am just so uncoordinated, and I think I would make a fool of myself. Maybe I will get the courage to try it eventually.

MzJuicyD
02-09-2011, 04:25 PM
im OBSESSED with Zumba. LOVE it!

ERHR
02-09-2011, 04:48 PM
I'm taking a Zumba class about once per week at my gym. Even though our instructor does virtually the same routine every class I'm still enjoying it and not bored! Plus the more familiar I am with the steps the more effort I can put into moving around and the higher I get my heart rate. I plan to keep attending and maybe get a DVD for home use. The music is really fun.

redautumn
02-10-2011, 04:41 PM
I go to Zumba twice a week. I don't like the treadmill or running, so this fits me perfectly, since I like dancing better. Plus, my calorie counter tells me I am burning 800+ calories everytime I do Zumba for an hour. Totally love it!

LeslieWendy
02-10-2011, 09:51 PM
I just got the Zumba for the Wii and I love it, makes me start sweating immediately. I live too far away from anywhere that has classes.

Changergirl
02-15-2011, 12:07 AM
I keep hearing really good things about Zumba and would like to try it. However there isn't a class nearby, do you think it would be possible to get the full affect of it by using videos?

citizenpeace
03-08-2011, 10:19 PM
Attempting my 1st Zumba class at local gym tomorrow morning.

I'm terrified!!! :o

vchan19
03-09-2011, 03:44 PM
I do Zumba three times per week. I love it! It is really fun and I burn around 550 calories. Sometimes I don't realize that I'm exercising

Smashley
03-09-2011, 08:34 PM
I've been dying to try Zumba. I live in an apartment that has a dance studio right next door and they offer classes twice a week. I want to go so badly since its 2 seconds outside my door but I'm scared. All the girls look super fit and its really intimidating. Also, I moved recently and have no friends in my new town. I'm really nervous to go by myself. I see alot of girlfriends that go together and I don't want to feel awkward by myself. Does anyone do Zumba solo? Good or bad experience? I would love to get up the courage and go, hopefully meet some friends too.

FitGirlyGirl
03-10-2011, 10:46 PM
I am a zumba nut! My gym has classes 3 days a week and I go all 3 days. It is crazy fun.

K16
03-11-2011, 04:06 PM
Attempting my 1st Zumba class at local gym tomorrow morning.

I'm terrified!!! :o

Hey there! I'm going to my first zumba class in 2 days and I'm also terrified. How did your first day go?

Jinksie
03-11-2011, 10:57 PM
I'm really nervous to go by myself. I see alot of girlfriends that go together and I don't want to feel awkward by myself. Does anyone do Zumba solo? Good or bad experience? I would love to get up the courage and go, hopefully meet some friends too.

maybe you'll make some friends there? :)

Jinksie
03-12-2011, 03:58 PM
did my first video today... some of those moves are hard! (i did the introduction and the 20 min)... do you get better at it the more you do it? cos they're telling me to swing and move my hips in ways i cannot get them to! :D

Spooky
03-15-2011, 08:49 AM
I've been dying to try Zumba. I live in an apartment that has a dance studio right next door and they offer classes twice a week. I want to go so badly since its 2 seconds outside my door but I'm scared. All the girls look super fit and its really intimidating. Also, I moved recently and have no friends in my new town. I'm really nervous to go by myself. I see alot of girlfriends that go together and I don't want to feel awkward by myself. Does anyone do Zumba solo? Good or bad experience? I would love to get up the courage and go, hopefully meet some friends too.

I was nervous to go by myself too and I went with a friend the first time (which was Sunday). However I will say that I saw lots of people there by themselves. I'd go by myself without a second thought (and will be doing just that tonight).

vchan19
03-16-2011, 02:52 PM
did my first video today... some of those moves are hard! (i did the introduction and the 20 min)... do you get better at it the more you do it? cos they're telling me to swing and move my hips in ways i cannot get them to! :D

Yes! the more you do it, the easier it gets! Keep practicing!

Emme
03-16-2011, 04:05 PM

Don't worry about that ~ I can't get my hips to move the way my instructor moves hers and I've been doing Zumba for 8 months now. She looks all sassy and sexy and I look like an elderly person jarring my hips around. Not a pretty sight.

cassieroll
03-16-2011, 09:47 PM
I am the MOST uncoordinated person on the planet and I LOVE zumba! Takes me a bit to get the steps but once they are down, LOOK out! I sweat like never before every single time. I've lost weight and inches and only go twice a week and have been since the 2nd week of january. It's changed my life! I wish we had more classes per week here but it's all I can get. Super rural area so I take what I can get. LOL

JMfan
03-16-2011, 10:25 PM
They offer Zumba around the corner. Classes are $15 a month. I'm tempted but i'm uncoordinated and terribly shy.

skinnycow126
03-16-2011, 11:40 PM
Zumba is my recent obsession. I was really nervous to start classes/thought I would be the only heavy/non-coordinated person there. My first class all of those fears melted away, especially as the first and foremost principle of Zumba is to have fun and keep moving. I am now hooked and go to 6 classes a week... I would do more, but the only extra classes are when I work.

Kaspara
03-19-2011, 02:12 PM
Question to all of you Zumba-ers out here:

Do most Zumba classes follow a particular set of routines? Or are they all choreographed by the teachers?

DeeMize
03-22-2011, 03:20 AM
I loove zumba!! I have it for xbox kinect and I do 20 mins everyday.

Tomato
03-22-2011, 01:06 PM
Question to all of you Zumba-ers out here:

Do most Zumba classes follow a particular set of routines? Or are they all choreographed by the teachers?

Based on my own experience only - the classes do not folllow a particular set of routines. I have been to classes of 4 different instructors, one of them being my regular instructor and the other 3 were "supply instructors" when the regular one was unavailable.
The classes vary WILDLY from one instructor to another. Each instructor does her own choreography and each chooses her own music. I have done a lot of Zumba classes and to this day, if my regular instructor is not available and I know ahead of time that there will be aother, I won't go. I simply love my regular instructor and I cannot get used to the other ones (although one of them was fairly close in her style to the reg. instructor's style, so that was not so bad). One of the instructor used to do ballet in young age, and it shows in her style. Another instructor treats the classes more like aerobics classes.

So I think you can really encounter a huge range of styles. If you have a choice, go to a few different ones until you find one that you like.

PaulaM
03-26-2011, 12:17 AM
I LOVE LOVE LOVE Zumba, it's my favorite thing to do at the gym. We have a young Hispanic male teacher, he is the best dancer I've ever seen, half the time neither of his feet are on the floor! I would say this class has a high amount of hip hop dancing, which I wasn't sure I could do at this advanced age, but it turns out I could. If you get the chance try it, you will never realize you are working out so hard, cause you're just dancing!

If anybody knows a site to get wide width Zumba shoes, please let me know, I have looked and Googled until I can't do it any more. They just don't seem to make them, which is absurd.

BfL_Cat
04-02-2011, 09:21 AM
Just wanted to chime in that I discovered Zumba recently myself. I started with the beginners DVD from our library, and once I felt like I was fairly familiar with some steps, I went to some classes. (you can actually find the beginners videos on YouTube as well)

I should add that before this I hadn't really exercised in over a year, and am just back on my weight-loss journey, and still over 200#. The classes are tough, but I just do what I can and have been thrilled that I could "hang" the whole 45 minutes or so.

I read online somewhere that Zumba instructors have to use a certain % of actual "zumba fitness" songs/choreography in order to call their class Zumba. Then, for the remainder they can do their own choreography if they choose, or just use the provided ones.

I bit the bullet and signed up for a local rec class here this week - 8 sessions, 30 women, 25 of whom had taken the class the last season. The instructor is 25 and does a lot of high-impact moves, but I just dialed it down to my own level. I went to the front so I could see and hear, and just didn't worry about what anyone else was doing. Honestly, everyone else was having such a good time and focusing on the instructor, that no one was paying attention to me flubbing up my steps, or just stepping when they were jumping!

And even if you mess up, just keep moving with the music until you catch up again - it's all about the fun and movement, not about being perfect.

I encourage everyone one who enjoys dancing at all to try these classes - they are so fun, you burn a ton of calories, and the time just flies by. If you don't care for one instructor, try another. Or get the DVDs and do it at home (make sure you have a hard floor to do it on - carpet can lead to injuries).

IRT shoes - I got Ryka Studio Flex Low shoes, and they are surprisingly wide. They didn't seem so at first, but I think they stretch because of being made of fabric. I wear a 7.5 W and got the 8M and they fit great - in fact a couple times I've had to tighten up the laces to make them more narrow. I got mine at shoebuy.com - sign up for their emails as they are always sending out 20% off codes - never pay full price there.

Zumba carrot! :carrot:

kma415
05-04-2011, 12:11 AM
I've been looking into these classes lately. My main reason for wanting to try it instead of go to a gym is that I don't really know many people other than my husband and family, and no one wants to go to a gym with me. I just don't think I would stay at the gym and do anything by myself, too boring. For the record, I havn't exercised since 9th grade (roughly 8 years ago) and I hated it even then. I don't know what I should wear (help me -_-'). Also, does Zumba actual give you a difference in your weight? I've seen where everyone says it's fun and I want to try it either way, but I havn't heard anyone say they actually lost weight from it.

OakCliffMom
05-04-2011, 09:24 AM
I am encouraged by what you all have had to say. I am WAY overweight and, until the last couple of weeks, my last workouts were 10 years, three kids and a bazillion pounds ago. To say I am terrified to show up for Zumba would not be an understatement. That said, one of my best friends is an instructor and she is always encouraging me to go with her to her class. I started working out at home with a personal trainer two weeks ago, and I keep telling Michelle that I will go to Zumba once I feel fit enough. Maybe I should just suck it up and give it a try because it sound like lots more fun than the time I am currently logging on the elliptical!

kma415
05-04-2011, 11:51 PM
That's what I've decided to do, jump in and just do it, not care how I look. I'm not so far past my weight that I can't come back, but I get no exercise other than weights (I work in a woodshop that builds outdoors furniture, I lift roughly 20 50lb shelves a day) but I get absolutely no cardio. I hate walking, I dont like tredmills cause you feel like youre going no where and I dont like walking around because there's always that thought in my head that I still have to make it back xD

Aunt Sheshie
05-05-2011, 10:50 AM
I've been looking into these classes lately. My main reason for wanting to try it instead of go to a gym is that I don't really know many people other than my husband and family, and no one wants to go to a gym with me. I just don't think I would stay at the gym and do anything by myself, too boring. For the record, I havn't exercised since 9th grade (roughly 8 years ago) and I hated it even then. I don't know what I should wear (help me -_-'). Also, does Zumba actual give you a difference in your weight? I've seen where everyone says it's fun and I want to try it either way, but I havn't heard anyone say they actually lost weight from it.

As for lbs. on the scale, I haven't seen any difference... but I am seeing a decrease in measurements, & that's really all I care about right now...

I am encouraged by what you all have had to say. I am WAY overweight and, until the last couple of weeks, my last workouts were 10 years, three kids and a bazillion pounds ago. To say I am terrified to show up for Zumba would not be an understatement. That said, one of my best friends is an instructor and she is always encouraging me to go with her to her class. I started working out at home with a personal trainer two weeks ago, and I keep telling Michelle that I will go to Zumba once I feel fit enough. Maybe I should just suck it up and give it a try because it sound like lots more fun than the time I am currently logging on the elliptical!

Listen to your friend!.. you won't regret it...

That's what I've decided to do, jump in and just do it, not care how I look. I'm not so far past my weight that I can't come back, but I get no exercise other than weights (I work in a woodshop that builds outdoors furniture, I lift roughly 20 50lb shelves a day) but I get absolutely no cardio. I hate walking, I dont like tredmills cause you feel like youre going no where and I dont like walking around because there's always that thought in my head that I still have to make it back xD

I agree about treadmills... I use one only to warm up before my workout with my trainer... as for Zumba, the leader in my class warms us up before we really get after it... then it's fun, fun, fun!!!..

hugs :hug:

CelticHarpie
05-09-2011, 12:35 PM
I'm thinking of buying the Zumba Wii disk. Has anyone tried this? I'm interested in getting into Zumba, but there aren't any classes nearby and this is a much less expensive way to do it.

I took about 10 years of dance as a kid, so I'm hoping that I will enjoy this. I tend to HATE workout videos and the like. I've never felt comfortable in a class setting, so this seems like a good option for me.

Tomato
05-10-2011, 01:10 PM
They offer Zumba around the corner. Classes are $15 a month. I'm tempted but i'm uncoordinated and terribly shy.

Oh my gosh, I envy you! At my gum, Zumba classes used to be part of regular membership (all classes were "included"). As of a year ago, they started to charge hefty extra fee not only for Zumba but for some other classes as well. Unlimited Zumba is now $30 a month for gym members, a lot more for non-members (and of course, you cannot buy just one month, you have to sign up for 3 months at least). Individual classes are like $5 each for members, argh! I coughed up the unlimited Zumba membership because I seriously love it.

Don't worry about being uncoordinated - I thought there is nobody worse on the planet than me and even I learned the steps. Here, Zumba is hugely popular and every time there is a crowd. Don't think anybody will be watching you and laughing that you missed a step - everybody is way too busy having fun and making sure THEY get the steps right. Although I consider myself an experienced Zumba-er, still there are some step combos that I can't remember and I basically gave up on getting them right. I just do what I can and I don't worry about making mistakes. Take advantage of the low fee and GO!

georgeshair
05-10-2011, 02:37 PM
I'm thinking of buying the Zumba Wii disk. Has anyone tried this? I'm interested in getting into Zumba, but there aren't any classes nearby and this is a much less expensive way to do it.

Yes, I've got the Zumba Wii and I thoroughly recommend it.It's great fun. You have to match the instructor's moves so that they change colour from orange to green. You get a belt to wear, which holds the Wii remote. The game includes lots of tutorials and different routines - calypso, mambo, salsa etc. Unlike a lot of fitness games, you get both a warm-up and a cool down as part of the routines.

CelticHarpie
05-10-2011, 11:21 PM
So I bought the Wii Zumba and just got done my first attempt. Posterior? Meet foot.

Wow!

It was lots of fun, and when I couldn't keep up, I just free-formed (and fooled the Wii remote into changing the instructor green)! Aside from the puzzled looks from the dogs, there was no audience. Didn't even seem like "working out" aside from the fact that my heart was pounding and I was sweating.

Can't wait to do it again tomorrow.

Smiling_Sara
05-25-2011, 01:55 PM
I will be taking a zumba class this summer. I am really excited for it. I took one try me class and loved it!

hhaffner
05-30-2011, 11:15 PM
I am getting the Zumba DVDs.
I know lot of you have taken the classes and seem to love them.
What about the DVDs?
Whats you impression?
Are they worth it.
Do they keep your interest?
Easy to follow?

petitefleur
05-31-2011, 08:41 PM
hhaffner, I enjoyed it a lot. I know that a few of the gyms near me offer the class, but I got the dvds instead. They're awesome and if you're a fan of aerobics dvds, in general, I think you'll like it.

BTW, there's a new Zumba system out. I've got The Total Body Transformation set, but Zumba Exhilarate looks awesome. Has anyone tried that set yet?

LindsaysMommy
06-08-2011, 08:39 AM
I have done 2 Zumba classes and one SH-Bam class, and love them both. Only problem I have is my feet hurt for days after them, so it limits me to how often I do them, I can usually fit in 2x a week as long as there are several days in between because of my feet. They are fun and fast paced, and I do agree on the different instructors, I take the classes at my golds gym. Anyone else have hurting feet after?

hhaffner
06-15-2011, 12:12 AM
Thanks petitefleur.
I have them. Now i just have to try them out

kurisitaru
06-15-2011, 12:15 AM
I LOVE zumba. I like doing it with a coin belt at home. Makes you shake your hips even more. My friend and I did classes with it last year. I lose a lot of weight with it and you really break a sweat but don't even realize an hour has gone by until the cool down starts.

mhill0823
06-15-2011, 12:32 AM
I want to try it! I need a zumba buddy!!!

hhaffner
06-18-2011, 09:03 PM
kurisitaru thanks so much.
I plan to start the DVD's this week

ferretgirl
06-22-2011, 05:28 PM
I miss doing Zumba.. Time to get back with it! I have the Cardio Party & 20-Minute Express dvds and the Zumba game on Kinect.. all great ways to work out & sweat at home. You can definitely get the full workout effect with the videos. I love the dvds.

Smashley, I used to go to classes alone. It was a good experience. Everyone tries to keep up with the instructor and the dances are fun. All ages, all body sizes.

Kaspara, all zumba instructors are taught the same basic steps and are also allowed to choreograph their own songs. In a zumba class, 70% of the music should be a blend of latin and international songs and 30% of the music is up to the instructor (learned this at a level 1 instructor training).

I agree with Tomato- if you have a choice, try out different classes and see who's you like best, since each instructor will add in their own style/flavor.

kma415, for zumba, definitely wear a sports bra and non-restrictive clothes (comfortable, maybe cotton).. tank top or tee shirt and shorts or sports pants/leggings. Sneakers with socks. Bring water! (late reponse, but for other newbies) Zumba has definitely helped the most with me losing weight. In 1 year, I've went from 140 to 115.. I give at least half of the credit to zumba (classes, dvds or game, 3-5x/week).

OakCliffMom, I hope you do give Zumba a try. I've tried getting my Mom to come with me in the past. Off-topic, but a fun, easy-for-beginners workout is Burlesque.. DFW offers some fun classes. Or go to the Zumba website and look for a Zumba Gold class, those are easier than regular zumba (they're made for older people & people new to exercise).

I can definitely say Zumba is one of the FUNNEST workouts I've done, making it easier to stick with (& come back to class).

petitefleur, I haven't tried Exhilarate but if you "Like/Fan" Zumba on Facebook, you'll see a few new song routines from Beto and other instructors.

LindsaysMommy, my feet have hurt a couple of times after class, but I probably jumped rope the same day. You might need better shoes (for absorbing impact) or add some gel inserts to give your feet more padding.

mhill0823, I'm like you, I need a zumba buddy! We should make a zumba challenge thread, so we can set goals and hold accountable ;)

Y'all take care!