Old 01-23-2008, 02:14 AM   #1  
excited about this site

S/C/G: 153/135/130

Height: 5'3"

Default feeling dizzy, takes a long time for me to recover from exercise???

When I have been exercising lately I have been trying to take it slow, nothing too strenuous. I've only been doing 20 minutes on the elliptical and 5 minutes on the treadmill (to get my heart rate to slow back down). I don't feel like I've been pushing myself or anything, but after I exercise I feel really hot in the face and slightly dizzy. It lasted the entire ride home from the gym(a 15 minute drive). My face kept feeling hot in waves kinda then back to normal temperature. I felt better later but it doesn't seem right that it takes me this long to recover after exercise.
So does anyone have any ideas about what I could do?
Jenbunnie03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 02:25 AM   #2  
Go Blue Team!

S/C/G: 154/148/115

Height: 4'11"

I feel that way every time I get off the treadmill... I'm hoping it goes away after a while. I don't have to drive anywhere since it's in my house, but I have to go up a few stairs to get back into main part of the house so it's definitely not good to be dizzy.
inklestinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 03:09 AM   #3  
excited about this site

well I'm glad I'm not the only one
Old 01-23-2008, 03:19 AM   #4  

S/C/G: .

Height: .

You aren't alone. I have had the same experiences after exercising. I think it comes from stopping vigorous exercise too quickly and not allowing your body to adjust. Your blood pressure can drop dramatically after exercise without a proper cool down which could explain the dizziness.
The thing that seems to help me is a really long cool down period (15 -20 minutes if need be). I just simply stroll around the room taking small sips of water until I feel normal again.
Good luck with exercising!
Goldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 04:59 AM   #5  
Simply Filling Technique

Lightbulb If this continues, I would ......

consider seeing a doctor about that. I was looking at your weight and your photo and it seems like you are too young to be experiencing this.

I am twice your age and twice your weight so I would expect myself to feel like that and I have(but only in the very beginning of my resuming exercising and even then it was for the first couple of times) but again I am obese and middle aged and you're not!

This is how injuries start. Poor warming up and cooling down. I would also suggest that you take it slower and not "kill yourself" when you are exercising. No one says you have to make a 12 minute mile. Some people will never be able to power walk or even run.

I used to do a lot of walking in my 40s. My weeks were 15 miles a week of power walking every week no matter what the weather was for almost twelve years until my arthritis slowed me down. I also used to do real mountain hiking(as in the western Rocky Mountains) at that time too. Prior to hiking at elevations of 25,000 feet back in 1992 I trained walking up and down hills in the city I lived in for months wearing my 10 lbs hiking boots and wool socks in 80 degree temperatures. Once I got at thinner air, it was much easier for me to enjoy the view. It only took me a few hours to acclimate rather than days.

I learned a lot from listening to the people who train at gyms since I also belonged to one at the time. If you have access to someone who has knowledge in physical education "pick their brains". This is a science and there are better ways to go about reaching your goals then knocking yourself out.

I have found out that I can acheive as good as results by going at a more moderate pace but more frequently than when I would "slam dunk" a few times a week. I have been able to still be active in spite of advanced arthritis in my weight bearing joints. I credit my previous years of being exposed to people who directed me in the right way to work around injuried joints as still being able to acheive cardio fitness.

Start out with a stroll and then slowly add a few minutes to that. I know that it seems like you want to go faster but follow your body's cues. When you are ready it should feel effortless to increase your intensity. In fact, you will be surprised you need to move to the next level of fitness.

Too many beginners at physical exercise throw themselves into it without enough preparation or thought. It isn't about thrashing about and getting all sweaty. There needs to be some planning and discipline involved not unlike your food plan. Just like you wouldn't consider eating one meal a day also look at your exercise routine that way as well. You can acheive better results in paced persistent efforts than you can in "all out war" with your body.

Your body is your friend. If you haven't been treating it that way maybe it is time to introduce yourself and start.

Last edited by pamatga; 01-23-2008 at 05:04 AM.
pamatga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 05:23 AM   #6  
gracey

S/C/G: 242/172/168

Height: 5ft 11

i would def go to a doctor, also consider what your eating/drinking before and after. i find if i over do it, on anything, and i have not had as much water as i prob should, i get dizzy.
freethetoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 05:42 AM   #7  

Okay, I'll be the contrary voice.

Check your hydration (ie, drink something). if that doesn't work check your blood sugar level (eat something). You sound pretty normal to me.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 08:46 AM   #8  

Height: 5'7"

That's how I'd feel after exercise when I was having trouble with low blood sugar. The dietitian recommended I have an easily accessible sugar in my body 10-15 minutes before exercising to give myself energy for my workout. Things like no sugar added juice or a piece of fruit work for this. Otherwise I'd tend to agree with the lack of cooldown time, just keep walking for longer and sloooow it down gradually.
suitejudyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 10:40 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

I've definitely felt like that. Definitely make sure you're drinking enough & having something to eat with protein in it. I found that as my body got used to the workouts my recovery improved dramatically.
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 10:56 AM   #10  
Queen Yo-yo

S/C/G: 185/169.2/135

Height: 5'4"

Source: http://www.copypastearticles.com/art...e-find-out-why

Do You Feel Dizzy During Exercise? Find Out Why....

It is very common nowadays to feel dizzy and light headed during exercise but this is preventable. Find out how you can avoid these symptoms and have a better and more enjoyable workout

By Greg Brookes

Copyright (c) 2007 Greg Brookes

Are you one of the many people who suffer from dizzy spells or light headedness during exercise? Many people seem to suffer from dizzy spells either during exercise or afterwards. If you are one of these people then check the list below to see where you may be going wrong:

1. Running on empty - if you exercise in the morning after maybe 10 hours since your last meal then your body is low on many of the nutrients and energy required to get you through your workout. If your carbohydrate stores (glycogen) levels are low then your body will use your muscles and fat for energy and this can be a strain on your system. Consider eating muesli, fruit, porridge - 1 hour before exercise.

2. Lack of fluids - our body’s natural equilibrium of water is very crucial - as you perspire you lose water and this can tip you over the edge. Drink water before, during and after exercise but don’t overindulge.

3. Low blood pressure - fast movements from standing to lying can cause dizziness in people suffering from low blood pressure. Take your time between transitions or better still perform all your standing exercise and then all your floor exercises.

4. Blood pooling - after heavy leg exercises (squats, deadlifts) blood rushes to your legs in order to fuel your muscles. Ensure you take time to recover after these exercise and give the blood chance to recirculate. Don’t sit down, moving around on your feet will help you return back to normal quicker.

5. Anaemia (iron deficiency) - because you have a lack of red blood cells you have less carriers for your oxygen and so can make it harder when exerted to return oxygen back to your brain.

6. Correct breathing - starving your body of oxygen by shallow breathing or holding your breath during exercise is a definate no no. Concentrate on your breathing and this will not only get you through your exercise session but can improve your lung capacity and control your heart rate too.

7. Too much too soon - if you have been away from exercise for sometime or are trying something new then the shock to your body can cause spells of dizziness. Remember to take things easy and be progressive. Rome wasn’t built in a day!

If after following this advice or you still feel concerned about your dizzy spells then consult you local GP.

Don’t let dizziness spoil your workouts!!
Jelbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 12:14 PM   #11  
Go Blue Team!

S/C/G: 154/148/115

Height: 4'11"

I drink plenty of water before/during/after my workout, eat an hour before, my blood pressure was normal last time it was checked... and it's not every time I exercise, just when I get off the treadmill. I've never used one till recently and the first time I got off I almost fell over. I still get dizzy everytime but it's not as bad as it was. Maybe I'm not breathing correctly or getting enough iron...
inklestinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 01:37 PM   #12  
excited about this site

Wow this really helped. I think it might be for a few reasons.
1. I am anemic but it hasn't been as bad as it was in the past.
2. I wasn't really warming up.

But today I'm going for a walk and maybe I'll do an exercise tape when I come home. Thanks for everyones input =)
Old 01-23-2008, 02:20 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 238/227/150

Height: 5'6"

I'm always dizzy when I do the treadmill, but I think it has something to do with walking while not really going anywhere and then going from that to the actual floor. It's usually gone in a few minutes though.
sgregg is offline   Reply With Quote