Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-23-2008, 01:03 AM   #1  

Height: 5'3"

Default me again, needing support... again

So I have stayed on plan for over a week now... go me! That's a new thing in my world. I have lost 5lbs. and really hope to lose more.

My problem is this. When I went to my boyfriend's house I weighed myself on his scale, and over the weekend it seemed that I had lost 9lbs. I was ecstatic! Though, as some of you might have remembered from my other post I came home to find I hadn't really lost that much. I know it's stupid, but going from thinking I had lost 9lbs. to having lost 5 really depressed me. I now fear I am going to stay at 5lbs and not lose anymore. I know this is stupid, have been on plan this whole time! I just never get past this initial hump.

The only thing that is making this easy is my wonderful significant other. He is trying to lose weight too and is very, very supportive. And the fact that I used to think I had to lose weight to find love is gone. So I'm no longer desperate to lose it fast, I just want to lose it. I just fear that I won't and that all this hard work (not eating everything in the house) is for nothing.

Sigh.
beautybooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 01:11 AM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Whoa, whoa, whoa!

First, all scales weigh differently. So your LOSS isn't changed, even if his scale shows you four lbs or even 100 lbs lighter than yours...it would have showed your starting weight lower by the same amount. So you've come JUST as far no matter whose scale you weigh on.

Your hard work is NOT going to be for nothing, if you keep it up! So keep it up! You can absolutely do this.

Deep breath. Stay on plan...you've done it for a week, you're on it now!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 08:32 AM   #3  

Height: 5'-2"

What Amanda said re: the scale.
As for not having to lose weight for love... I hear you, but do it for you. And do it now. My DH and I have been together for 20 years, and we're struggling to get rid of that "comfort fat" that comes with loving unconditionally.
I know I feel great at a lower weight, and that has nothing to do with anyone else. It's all about me.
Hang in there, hon. You're off to a great start.
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 11:49 AM   #4  
Never-giver-upper

S/C/G: 186/176/135

Height: 5'7"

If you are improving your eating habits and increasing your exercise, there's almost no way you can fail to lose weight. Like you said, it may not happen fast, but it WILL happen. Keep at it.
Serena C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 12:46 PM   #5  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

You don't want it fast! Well, yes we all do, but it has been proven over and over again that fast weight loss usually isn't permanent weight loss. That said, you are in the mid to high 2s. You may see 5 lb a week for a while. That is great! There are posters on here who were your size and lost 15 - 20 lbs in a month when they were starting out. But they will also tell you that they averaged 2 or 3 then 1 or 2 as the weight came off.

Use 1 scale only. Scales are different. Also, it they are sitting on carpet, you may get a different reading than if they are on the floor.

You've lost 5 lb in a week! Hooray for you! That is fantastic! You have someone who is on this journey with you! That, too, is fantastic! You can do this. It's all about you right now.

OK, feel verbally spanked now?
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 12:57 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 195/ticker/155

Height: 5'6"

Keep up the good work!
skinnyvanilly2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 01:54 PM   #7  
never say never

S/C/G: 215/ticker/165

Height: 5'6

what everyone says about the scales is true. just use one scale. don't even bother with a second one it will only drive you nuts.

i know how you feel. i also seem to lose 5-10 pounds and then gain it all back. i keep going in that same cycle and it's frustrating! the only way to break out of it is to keep going. keep doing what you're doing. stay on track. don't get off plan. whatever you're doing right now is working for you so keep doing that and it will keep working for you.

i think a very important part of this is to start going and not look back. when you're hitting your half way goal or your final goal maybe then you'll feel safe enough to reflect on where you came from. just look forward and go forward...don't look back and don't go back.
polkadotfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 08:32 PM   #8  

Height: 5'3"

thanks you guys as i am sure you all know this is really hard. i just need to remember too that 5lbs is something! I didn't just drop five for nothing. I dropped five pounds because I made the effort. And that's all I can really do, right? Try my best?

I won't use any other scales anymore either, haha. I'll stick to mine, even if I do have to be away from it for a few days.

I also think I need to remember that even people who do lose a lot of weight start out where I am. I can't be the only one who has ever felt like it was just never going to happen.
Thanks again, everyone.
beautybooty is offline   Reply With Quote