South Beach Diet - Tuesday's Chatterings

View Full Version : Tuesday's Chatterings

cottagebythesea
01-22-2008, 06:13 AM
:coffee2: Coffee's brewing, teakettle is screaming, help yourself to anything else. A new day is on the horizon, come and chat a bit before starting your day. :)

I'm going to Curves, and then cleaning the house before picking up Maggie. We just stayed in yesterday, and we got a head start on making our Valentine cards, then baked some banana bread (which I DID NOT even nibble!). I think today will be a shut-in day again, since snow is expected later this afternoon.

What's on everyone's agenda for this frigid day?

:cofdate:

Ruthxxx
01-22-2008, 06:32 AM
Good morning, Cottage and the Sleepy Chicks who are about to peck in.

I'm up but not at it so far. It is so strange not to have dog duties this morning - sort of lonely. Never mind, when I get Igor aka Iggie, there will be lots of dog/puppy duties.

I threw some pea soup into the crockpot late yesterday and let it simmer all night. That will be my breakfast because it sure smells yummy. I actually woke up hungry - nose hunger.

Claire and Doug are coming over around noon to shift furniture in the "parlour". I have a hide-a-bed that I want to leave opened out for naps when I get home from the hospital. Yes, hide-a-beds are uncomfortable but this one is just fine with my 4" slab of foam on it. Donna is coming to clean after the shift as you know about all the little surprises you find when big furniture is moves. We may even find some Lucy mementos like old bones or eyeglasses!

I have the oven on auto-clean right now and several loads of laundry ready to roll plus the fridge to clean out. There will be lots of "helpers" here when I recuperate so things need to be orderly. It feels like my mother-in-law is coming to visit.

Better stop talking about it and do it! If AnyChick is bored and wants a job, come on over!

GONNABE165
01-22-2008, 07:10 AM
Thanks for the coffee Cottage Sounds like you had a nice day yesturday and today sounds like it will be the same. Bundle up and keep warm.

Ruth if I wasn't here in Florida and going through my own things/illness I would come help you.

Me- well this moring I am feeling physically better but I'm sufering bad from headaches and the case of the dizzies like I am going to faint. Seems like I get rid of one thing and something else comes up.

You ladies have a great morning and I'll check back in later

ladybugnessa
01-22-2008, 07:31 AM
good morning... i have a minute thought i'd say hi....

work is busy
my own website is keeping me VERY busy.
SBD continues to be the best thing that ever happened to me. although my loss is slow, i FEEL great

HistoryChick
01-22-2008, 07:33 AM
Good morning all!

Well Day is getting off to a funky start...I made the belgian waffle and it stuck to the waffle iron...I sprayed it but it still stuck...go figure...I didn't get to make my peanut butter cookies last night so they are in the oven right now...How is everyone this morning? I'm off to work in an hour...I"m gonna make chicken devine tonight and see how that turns out. Well just wanted to say hello real quick this morning! I hope everyone has a great day! :D

CyndiM
01-22-2008, 07:37 AM
Woo hoo! Coffee! :coffee: Thanks Cottage :)

Ruth - I'd be glad to come over if you'd move around the corner :) Soon you will be on the mending side of this. :carrot:

GonnaBe - Sounds like being sick so long just wore you out. Hope today is even better than yesterday (no headaches!).

Kara - I know you're out there somewhere :) I was thinking of you this weekend - made a big batch of seitan. It may be my perfect vegetarian food.

I'm off to take pictures all morning again. I need to get those all done before I go on vacation. Also working on my presentation at the big community party Friday night. Eek! I'm not too keen on public speaking but will manage this one.

So not only has my scale moved at last but I'm 2 lbs below my goal for the month. I figure that gives me a little cushion for my vacation. I don't plan on going crazy but rural New Mexico isn't too vegetarian friendly so we will be eating lots of pre-packaged stuff from Whole Foods. I need to email the B&B person and let her know we won't eat baked stuff so if we are the only guests the first few days she can take a break :)

It's going to be go, go, go until I get on that plane next Tuesday :)

Have a good day Chicks!

little chick
01-22-2008, 08:07 AM
Morning Chicks oh Cottagethanks for the tea, I will have one huge cup with a little milk. I made banana bread too yesterday and had one little slice, but I can say I really didn't enjoy it.

Ruth- Take care of yourself, hope you get your todo list done.

Gonna- sending you big hugs hope you are feeling better today.

Nessa- Nice to see you. Hope all is well. Hope you are having fun with your website. What is it about, I am sure you have told me before but I don't remember.

Cindy- Yippee good scale news. Can I borrow yours cause mine are not budging.

Me Life has been crazy since Friday. Sat had to work at the dance studio, then was grocery shopping. My sister and her boyfriend came for the night we had supper and played the wii. I am proud of my self as I stayed OP, with the exception of a glass of wine. Sunday was a sleepy day and I have been working like crazy on my " Its a girl thing". But I am back today. Eating is going well, but the scales are not showing a loss, so I am going to stay off them for a week. Well a big Hello to the rest of the chicks to come. I will try to pop back in later.
History- Have a good day chick

ladybugnessa
01-22-2008, 08:09 AM
my site is in response to the old SBD site I was at... we had a falling out and I created my own space. then the old SBD board crashed in October (and is down again) and my board has really taken off. since it's a "diet board" i can't post the link here...

Ruth I hope the surgery goes well.

tomandkara
01-22-2008, 08:11 AM
Aw, Cyndi, you're so nice! I hope your seitan is delicious! :drool:

Jess, I'm sorry to hear about your waffle woes. Hope the day improves for you! It only can with peanut butter cookies in the oven!!! :T

Nessa, :wave: So glad you stopped by!

Gonna, you get better, girl! I'm wondering if the headache is a side effect of the meds you're on?

Ruth, enjoy your friends and relations and I hope you don't find any squeemish-type surprises under your couch!

Linda, thanks for starting a tea kettle! I think I'll go grab myself a mug, actually! Last night I had a cup of decaffinated green tea with a spash of the DaVinci sugar-free vanilla and it was just perfect!

Had a good day here. My friend is leaving tomorrow so they were over for dinner for a last chat and good-bye. I stuck to my plan, even through the cheesecake dessert!!! :cp: (We need a wiping-the-forehead-whew-smiley!)

I did hear from my sister this afternoon that she had lost the baby at eleven weeks. She's OK. She understands in her head that everything is happening for a reason but in her heart I can tell she's still hurting. Any extra prayers you have for them would be appreciated, especially because she's a recovering bulemic and I'm sure this stress is difficult for her in dealing with eating issues as well.

Kara

GONNABE165
01-22-2008, 08:35 AM
Nessa slow weigh los is better than no weight loss. Good luck with your site

Have a great day Jess Enjoy those cookies

:woohoo: Cyndi Congrats on your weight loss

LC you have the right idea - show the scale your the boss

Kara :hug: lots of prayers coming your way for you your sis and your whole family

Be back in a bit...

tomandkara
01-22-2008, 08:40 AM
Thanks for the prayers, Gonna! It's hard to not be with your family during times when you want to just cuddle them up.

Phoenix, I was just reading through yesterday's thread...I think that if you're enjoying your whole wheat tortilla, you should just keep it in and watch the scale for the next week. I am 100% certain that one whole wheat tortilla a day cannot make you gain back four pounds. I'm sure it's just normal weight fluctuations. If you don't care about the tortillas so much, switch it out for oatmeal or another grain you like better anyway. My problem with wheat is that I get monster cravings if I don't pair it with protein, so I get most of my grains from oatmeal and, recently, brown rice :T. Think about it in the long-term...you're probably not going to give up wheat forever, so as long as you're eating it in moderation you should be OK. There's a great thread going in the Weight Loss Support section right now about water weight and all of the causes and the mechanics of it. Helped me understand the whole thing a ton better!

Kara

milkduds38
01-22-2008, 08:43 AM
Good Morning ladies,

I'm off today and it feels good. I love this website. I started SBD on 1/7 and my husband & I have lost about 8 lbs each and we are seeing a big difference. We started each the "good carbs" on Ph 2 yesterday with the chicken papella(chicken & brown rice w/roasted peppers & guyo seasoning). It was really good. I'm going to turn on FIT TV and catch a workout session. Talk to you later.

Schmoodle
01-22-2008, 08:44 AM
Morning chicks. The house was cold and quiet when I got up this morning and no coffee waiting for me here. :( The cats were unhappy that breakfast was later than usual. None of us slept great and the kids are still in bed.

Thanks cottage, good coffee, got any banana bread left to go with?
mmmm, pea soup is one of my favorites Ruth. I would definitely have that for breakfast too. I know your house is quiet this morning too.
Dawn, do you think you overdid it yesterday? Feel better!
Nessa! So glad you popped in again. One of these days we should get together for lunch and shopping at Arundel Mills!
historychick, you'll love the chicken! Mmmm, one of our faves...:drool:
Cyndi, your presentation will be great, I just know it! You must be getting really excited about the trip.
littlechick, sounds like you are doing great in spite of your busy weekend. No way I could make banana bread and not eat it. That would be torture! I am avoiding the scale for the next three weeks just to see if I can!
Kara, so sorry to hear about your sister. That must be such a difficult thing to go through.

Today is work. DD has piano, and the bookmobile will be here later. Those things are all in walking distance, fortunately, because we are supposed to get some nasty weather later. Okay, I've got a telecon at 9AM, and I've got to go get dressed. I've got a thing about doing telecons in pajamas, just can't do it. I haven't eaten yet either. So you chicks have a great day! I'll pop back in later!

cottagebythesea
01-22-2008, 08:44 AM
Kara, my heart goes out to your sister and all of your family. A tragedy like that is always hard to swallow. I pray with lots of love and support that she'll get through this sad time okay. :hug:

tomandkara
01-22-2008, 08:55 AM
Milkduds, what's guyo seasoning? And how much do you love Fit TV? It's the best! I miss it!!!

Schmoodle, we're thinking about you all this week! :hug: Here's a virtual cup of coffee for you...:coffee:

Thank you, Linda and Schmoodle. I'll have to give her a great big hugaroo when we get home!

Kara

Pacergal29
01-22-2008, 09:06 AM
Morning Chicks! I'll take some of that coffee, it has already been a morning! The town I live in has very little funds for snow removal and really all they do it scrape the roads and not treat. How in the world 1/4 inch of snow can be turned into a solid sheet of ice is beyond comprehension! Of course I had 5 stops to make in town this morning! Once out of the city limits the roads were clear!

Needless to say I am running behind despite my best intentions so I must forego personals for now although I do want to give :hug: to Kara and her sis. My sister-in-law went through 2 miscarriages and I was the one to be the "rock" for her and the rest of the family. I know how difficult this can be!

I'll check back later girls!

tomandkara
01-22-2008, 09:14 AM
It snowed here today, too, Stephanie! Was coming down when I left the house at 8:00 and still coming down when we got out of Connor's martial arts class at 2:00, although it turned into rain soon after. Thanks for the hugs. Was there anything in particular that helped your sister? I talked to her for a good hour this afternoon, but I don't want to call her every day and keep bringing it up. But on the other hand I want to be there for her. It's hard.

Kara

phxsunflower
01-22-2008, 09:16 AM
Good morning ladies,

Back to the race. Enjoyed yesterday off with the kids and visiting my parents. The day is already hectic with the kids.Gotta love it when they get into school.

Kara thanks for the info. I don't know what happened last week but I will be pushing the water to get it out and hopefully miss the cold bug that has moved into our home.

Got to go and dry my hair before setting out for the day.

Have a great day and a safe one!!

milkduds38
01-22-2008, 09:43 AM
Sazo'n Goya is a seasoning pack which is made with a lot of different seasoning like garlic,cumin, & mexican saffron. It's like a mexican seasoning salt. You will find it the yellow box in the hispanic food section in your local grocery store. It's might be what gives mexican rice it's favor and color. The recipe I had, requires powdered saffron , which cost $12.96 for a little bottle. I lady told me in the wal-Mart that it's seasoning from Indiana.

tkglenn
01-22-2008, 09:56 AM
Hello all, kara-so sorry about your sister. A friend of mine just lost hers at 8 weeks. I guess when she thought she was 11 weeks, she started bleeding (don't know the whole story, don't want to stir up pain) but when they checked her, they found out she had lost it at 8 weeks. She was so excited and happy that she was pregnant. I think what helped her is knowing that it is part of Gods plan (don't want to sound religious). She knows it's not the right time right now and when it is, she will have another child. Prayers are with you guys.

Ruth-I self-cleaned my oven yesterday since it needed to be cleaned and the house was cold so I took care of both. Hit two birds with one stone.

Gonna-hope things get better for you

Cottage-making valentines cards sound like fun. Maybe that'll be on my to-do list for this week.

Ladybug-hello.

history-waffles sounds so good

cyndi-your presentation will go smoothly and just fine.

little-what is "it's a girl thing"? sounds like fun

Me-well, cleaned most of the day yesterday. Got the boys to help me ALOT as they were in trouble. DD is feeling better. She's sleeping throughout the night again and isn't as whiny as she was. The antibiotics must be working. Got most of my laundry done yesterday, I only have one more load and I should be done for a few days. I'm down a pound, which I am extremely surprised. After eating as much as I did yesterday. Well, I stuck to my 100 calorie packs but still, I ate alot. I made this yummy creamy chicken, very fattening, and I ate alot of it. Haven't been exercising which I should start again. Does anyone have any plans for valentines? I want to do a romantic surprise but don't have a clue as what to do. He's leaving that weekend to go tryout for the Dallas Police Department so I have to do it before that. Our female dog is pregnant and if she has puppies, I won't be able to go with him. I think my 5month old might be getting his first tooth. Well, nothing much else is going on.

Everyone----stay warm and have a good day.

SAnativegirl
01-22-2008, 10:00 AM
Hi Everyone-Wet and cool here in San Antonio. tried to walk 40-45 minutes last night but only made 30, both ankles were killing me, dont know what I'm doing wrong. Will keep at it, not feeling real good, TOM is in town!

tkglenn
01-22-2008, 10:06 AM
SA-maybe it's the shoes you're wearing. My ankles used to hurt really bad and when I would wake up in the morning it felt like i was walking on glass. I bought some really lightweight running shoes (which are sooooo comfortable) and now I don't have a problem at all. Good luck.

tomandkara
01-22-2008, 10:21 AM
Phoenix, keep having a positive attitude about the stupid scale! As long as you're staying on plan and getting in some exercise, there's nothing else you could do, so it'll go down eventually. I actually just banished my scale to the corner of the bathroom, wedged between the washing machine and towel rack. It's not as drastic as Dawn hiding hers under her car in her garage :lol: but still keeps me from getting on it so often. I've had a much better attitude about my diet plan since I've not been focusing so much on the numbers. I'm going to weigh once a month now.

Thanks for the explanation on the seasoning packet, milkduds! I have heard that saffron is very expensive. Think I saw it on Good Eats or something.

Tawnya, my sister said that the only way she's getting through this is understanding that all of this pain is a part of God's plan, and that He will support and comfort her through it all. So true.

San Antone, I'd second Tawnya's recommendation of checking out your shoes. I know for running shoes you're supposed to get new ones every 400 miles or so and I'd assume the same goes for walking shoes. Good luck figuring it out!

I'm off to bed - laundry's almost done and my teeth need to be brushed. Oh! I put some of the DaVinci sugar-free hazelnut syrup in a cup of milk tonight... :T I will do that again soon!

Kara

waquilter
01-22-2008, 10:24 AM
Morning All -
Kara - My thoughts and prayers are with you and your sister. Having miscarried at 9 weeks several years ago, I know how devastating it can be.

Hope all the rest of you chicks are staying warm - we woke up to -8 this morning.

Have a great day all.

tomandkara
01-22-2008, 10:27 AM
Thanks.

You must not be in our old haunts in western Washington if it was -8* this morning! We lived in the Seattle area for three years (actually in Seattle for two and then on base for one) while my husband was stationed at McChord. Loved it! Can't wait to get back there!!!

Kara

SAnativegirl
01-22-2008, 10:29 AM
Kara, I am so sorry to hear about your sister. Keep being there for her.

And you guys may be right about shoes, what brand did TK buy recently?

tkglenn
01-22-2008, 10:34 AM
I went to Sears and bought the Reebok 3D ultra Lite. They are so comfortable and gives my feet enough air to go through. It doesn't weigh my feet down and it's easy to walk in. I'm sure anything that is lightweight would help you or any type of walking/running shoe would do good.

Kim_Star060404
01-22-2008, 10:34 AM
Quick drop in for me! I just got to work from class and really need to get it together! I don't know if I'll be back for personals, but I'll try. Statistics is going well - boring, but the prof is doing his best to make it interesting. I have Technology in an Educational Setting tonight for the first time. We'll see how that goes!

Have a great day! ~Kim

GONNABE165
01-22-2008, 10:48 AM
Wow we are some chatter boxes this morning, guess thats what makes us such a great group :grouphug:

Hope everyone is having a great On Plan day and heres some :dust: for those who need it.

tkglenn
01-22-2008, 10:51 AM
Thanks Gonna- i really need the will power today.

ADAGIRL
01-22-2008, 10:53 AM
Good Morning Ladies!
I decided that I would start my Tuesday off by adding a post to 3FC's. I have been sort of hanging back and enjoying all that this sight has to offer. I love all of the support that you all offer each other. I was on SB in 2006 and I got discouraged because my weight loss was so slow. This time I refuse to give in to my disappoinment!! Already, I am encouraged by all of you, and your tenacity for making SB work for you.
I am now in phase II and I am happy to be done with the first 2 weeks. I only lost 3 pounds :( so I am being very careful about adding in foods. This weekend I tried 3 new recipes and I loved them! I have to admit that last time I didn't try anything new because I didn't think DH would like them. (By the way, my DH is on SB with me this time too) He is having a rough time of it. He is a grazer and he complains that he can't find anything he wants to eat...I realize that I need to be strong for the both of us.
Well, I really just wanted to join in to you little group and say hi.
Thanks to you all.
Sue

ScorpioSunshine
01-22-2008, 11:03 AM
Good morning, ladies. :)

Wet and drizzly here in GA, but not terribly cold.

We had some awesome snow over the weekend which is super rare for us. It was so pretty! :D

Maybe we'll get some more.

PHinsUP!
01-22-2008, 11:41 AM
G'Mornin Gals,
Well...today is my weigh in day...and I was down 5 lbs...woo hoo...the first week is over and that means only 1 more week P1...looking forward to a few more options!
I had a pretty good weekend...and my Monday was nice and quiet.
Now it's raining and all I want to do is curl up with a good book or a great drama movie! I love a rainy day!
ttyl chicas!
Tina

Neko
01-22-2008, 06:48 PM
my site is in response to the old SBD site I was at... we had a falling out and I created my own space. then the old SBD board crashed in October (and is down again) and my board has really taken off. since it's a "diet board" i can't post the link here...

Ruth I hope the surgery goes well.

I posted there last year, I tried the link again this year and I saw it didn't work. I wondered what happened. I recognize your name from there. :)

I have a silly question. My friend and I are going to Medieval Times this weekend for her birthday? Does anyone know what they serve and is it SB friendly?

ADAGIRL, I understand your husband's problem. Sometimes I feel hungry for a snack, I look in the fridge and I really, really don't want what my choices are. I think it's hard for reformed carboholics.

GONNABE165
01-22-2008, 07:28 PM
Tina Congrats on your 5lb loss -keep up the great work

Neko I have never been to mideval times but I am sure there is bound to be something close to south beach frendly. good luck and enjoy the show.

Hope everyone is having agreat evening I'm getting ready to watch the biggest loser and eat my jello & cool whip.

Kim_Star060404
01-22-2008, 08:23 PM
Neko: I went to Medieval Times a couple years ago and here is the menu they served us:

1/2 roasted chicken with skin
Spare rib
Vegetable soup (had potatoes and carrots in it)
garlic bread
1/2 a roasted (I think) potato
Pastry for dessert
Beverage (I had water)

I don't believe that any of it was P1 or P2 SB-friendly except for the meat and you don't get options. They just serve everyone the same thing. You may be able to google Medieval Times and see if their menu has changed. Sorry, wish I had better news!

Schmoodle
01-22-2008, 08:32 PM
I went in October for DS's birthday. That is what we had also. You don't get to choose, it's a set menu. I ate my soup and DS's because he didn't want it, just tried to pick out the potatoes as much as I could. And I pulled the skin off the chicken and ate that. I gave the rest of it to DH and DS. You probably want to eat before you go so you're not starving.