100 lb. Club - burning off the mistakes.. what do you think?

amouse
01-21-2008, 04:50 PM
Hey ok i have been bad.... lol on saturday i took the kids swimming at my parents house and we swam for 5 hours (the pool is heated and undercover so heaps of fun ( i did 100 laps and hours of emu ride ect with the kids they are 7 and 3 so want me the entire time as the pool is deep both ends. i burned off heaps of calories.. more then i ate for the entire day .. but . It left me starving hungry on sunday.. its didnt matter what i ate i just couldn't feel full .. i didnt eat anything too bad but i went over my calorie limit. and yesturday i was just stupid got angry with my hubby and ate his chocolate lol to be a B*tch but it was 181 cals with out which i would have been fine

I like to stick to 1800-1900 calories . sunday was 2168 and yesturday was 2042.
So my plan is to burn off the chocolate, which on the calcultor means and extra 20 minute on the elliptical today ..
My theory is if i have to burn it off then i wont do it next time... lol.. any of you ever tried this..
I love my elliptical so its not a chore but its kinda a punishment lol.. i would usually go on it at midday and watch supernanny while im on it .. today im gonna get on it earlier while the crappy morning shows are on to do the 20 minutes beofre super nanny .. the punishment is the crap that will be on when i exercise not the exercise itself as i enjoy that lol..
but in the end it means i do 1 hour 20 minutes of exercise today .. and i have to change all the beds and do 3 loads of washing fun hey lol.. im gonna sleep well tonight..

So any of you cheat and then work it off. i hope it will stop me from cheating next time.. what do you think?

barbygirl43
01-21-2008, 05:12 PM
I had a coworker once who would do this. I worked at a TV station and she would do jumping jacks behind the camera during commercial breaks. I used to threaten I'd let my hand slip and put her on the air on accident. Her weakness was snickers bars. She calculated how long she would have to work out extra to burn off the calories and it worked for her because I think she may have had 2 that she worked off and then didn't mess with them. It's been almost 10 years since I've seen her so I don't know if it worked in the long-term or how she's doing but I know it helped her then.

amouse
01-21-2008, 06:39 PM
LMAO at the girl that did it in the add breaks.. that is great.. i would defiantly have turned that camera around lol.. could gone on funny behind the scenes shows.. lol. what the TV crew really gets up to in the add breaks..

GirlyGirlSebas
01-21-2008, 06:45 PM
Anything that encourages you to workout more and burn more calories is a very good thing! Which is not to say that you should over indulge again...no excuses, right?

Trazey34
01-21-2008, 08:52 PM
ugh I think there's something in the air today!!! I had a mental breakdown I think LOL, I've been doing great but today I had a dairy queen small cone AND an individual sized bag of potato chips and now i feel queasy!!!

yuck, i need my head examined!

bluex
01-21-2008, 10:54 PM
I would think there is a danger in that because you can't be sure how much you are burning, etc. Of course more exercise is always good. I believe in proactive action instead of reactive. This is reactive, it's better to clean up your behavior but really whatever it works for you. If you find that it keeps you from doing it again and again, then it's a good thing. IF you find your doing it everyday, I suspect pretty soon, the eating will become the habit and the exercise will be the victim of, I just didn't have time or whatever.

amouse
01-21-2008, 11:49 PM
I usually do pretty good and find staying in or below my cls pretty easy to do but i slipped up but oh well no harm done really i fixed it lol.. i did usually do 30 minute elliptical then 30 minutes aerobics but today i stayed on the elliptical and went for 80 minutes :) oprah was on and it was a great story about hiding veges in kids food with jerry sienfelds wife and then dr oz and i was enjoying it when it was finished i realised i had been on the trainer for 80 minutes and gone 20 kms :)

sidhe
01-22-2008, 12:03 AM
It's a slippery slope, IMHO. There is a disorder called "exercise bulimia", and it's basically what you're describing. Be careful with that.

Lovely
01-22-2008, 07:18 AM
I've done similar things. Maybe once or twice a month I've eaten a little too much, so I add in 15-20 minutes of exercise. Nothing I feel was overboard, just something to soften the blow... also to remind myself that eating & exercising is all connected and that I can't just eat whatever/whenever I want. I think that as long as it's not done to excess it's a perfectly normal thing to do.

JayEll
01-22-2008, 08:57 AM
This is a really bad habit to get into. Eventually it turns around so that a person deliberately overeats, thinking they'll just exercise it off. But then sooner or later they overeat so much that there is no way to exercise it off, or they just get "too tired" to exercise, so they skip it--and the next thing that happens is that the pounds have come back on. Usually we then see these folks posting here saying "I can't figure out why I'm not losing!" ;)

So I'd say, stop overeating, and stop thinking that if you just exercise more, it will all be OK. Stick with both your food plan and your exercise plan! :yes:

Jay

LisaF
01-22-2008, 09:39 AM
I try very, very hard not to think of food (or food-related activities) in terms of rewards and punishments. For me, thinking of food as a reason to punish myself, or thinking of food as a reward for good behavior, takes away from having a having a healthy attitude about eating. And that's one of the things that's really important to me - not only to eat healthy, but to be mentally healthy when it comes to eating.

amouse
01-22-2008, 05:40 PM
ok girls i get it :) bad habit to start , i havent done it before i was just feeling guilty so wanted to try to undo it.. next time i will just be more careful .. I dont see myself getting stupid with food or exercise i have 2 kids im trying to teach to be healthy and my daughter has bad food allergies ( food additives) so the only bad thing in this house really is the chocolate .. and thats gone now so temptation gone.. lol If it had been the kids choc i would not have touched it but it was my hubbys and he was being an ***.. STUPID i know but i have to say i enjoyed it lol..

SoulBliss
01-22-2008, 05:53 PM
I think occasionally eating a little extra and going over the calorie budget isn't a mortal sin :lol: I think that it's a not a good thing to make a habit of, but it's not a big deal as an isolated incident. Mindfulness and accountability are important qualities (and skills really) to cultivate, and you are doing that!ugh I think there's something in the air today!!! I had a mental breakdown I think LOL, I've been doing great but today I had a dairy queen small cone AND an individual sized bag of potato chips and now i feel queasy!!!

yuck, i need my head examined!

Hey, that is a relatively small slip-up, in the bigger picture! Think of it this way- You used portion control, had appropriate serving sizes, and even still you realize that you could have made even better choices. That sounds like progress to me!

PhotoChick
01-22-2008, 08:56 PM
Hm. I think I have a different perspective fro meveryone else here.

You WORKED OUT HARD on Saturday. Hours in the pool - both swimming and playing. And the next day you were hungry.

I think that's NORMAL and you shouldn't feel bad about eating a little more. It's possible that you put your body into a bit of a calorie deficit with all of Saturday's activity. So your body is trying to regulate that.

If you had run a marathon on the Saturday, would people be still having the same reaction to you going 200 cals over your goal for those two days?

Now the question is: did you indulge that need for more food with JUNK or did you eat lots of protein and veggies to sate yourself?

I think if you were to have gone over your calories after a day of very continuous, vigorous exercise, it would be perfectly normal and not something you'd necessarily need to "make up" for the next day.

amouse
01-22-2008, 09:12 PM
sunday i ate no junk just more foios monday i just ate the choc that was bad otherwise i was fine . i like your point though . i also believe i went over on sunday because of the day beofre but my problem was the chocolate on monday and that is all i worked off i usually do 1 hour a day of exercise yesturday did 1 hour and 20 minutes to make myself feel better about the cheating lol.. if however i had had choc and not gone over my limit i wouldn't give a second thought about it .. if i have my nutritional needs i will have a treat and not feelg guilty.. its all about atying below my limit 1900 . but on the same token i try not to go to far under that too . Im not a silly teenagers trying to get skinny quick.. im doing it right making sure my body is getting all the vitamins it needs (via fitday very handy) and occasionally nmaking an oops lol.. I dont think a little extra exercise to get rid of an oops every now and then is a bad thing ..

photo you ar right about saturday i burned over 2200 calories that day and only ate 1876 cal that day . We were having great fun , and it was hot so we just kept in there . We always do the same when we go over for a swim. stay the whole day . its magic

FresnoBeeDude
01-23-2008, 08:55 PM
Instead of burning of those excess calories, why not trade in that item for something else? Say you treated yourself to a candy bar at the vending machine, but cannot afford to squeeze in those 280 calories, trade it for an item on your menu for later on today. For example, if you plan to have a cup of milk at dinner, forgo that cup. Sure its not the same calorie-wise, nutrition-wise, but it is a step. This way you don't feel like beating yourself up.

Remember, this is a lifestyle change. Are you going to constantly beat yourself up if you sway off path? In 30 years from now will you still hate yourself for having a chocolate bar?

Have that treat, just budget it in. Just learn to eat in moderation, and enjoy every bite of it.

famograham
01-23-2008, 09:57 PM
Yep^^^
I have to agree! :yes:

3Beans
01-23-2008, 10:39 PM
This is a really bad habit to get into. Eventually it turns around so that a person deliberately overeats, thinking they'll just exercise it off. But then sooner or later they overeat so much that there is no way to exercise it off, or they just get "too tired" to exercise, so they skip it--and the next thing that happens is that the pounds have come back on. Usually we then see these folks posting here saying "I can't figure out why I'm not losing!" ;)

So I'd say, stop overeating, and stop thinking that if you just exercise more, it will all be OK. Stick with both your food plan and your exercise plan! :yes:

Jay

I've got to agree with Jay. Sure, if you burn a lot of extra calories on a particular day you may need to eat more. But to plan in advance to go over your calories and then work it off a later point is another story!

PhotoChick
01-24-2008, 01:07 AM
But to plan in advance to go over your calories and then work it off a later point is another story!

I'm sorry, but I find this whole line of reasoning specious at best.

What do you think anyone who is dieting to lose weight is doing? YOu might as well take that slippery slope argument and apply it to anything that any of us is doing:
cutting some calories might lead to you cutting all calories
drinking a lot of water might lead to drinking too much water
exercising some might lead to exercising too much

It's silly.

Knowing that there are times that you might want to allow yourself a treat and work it off later or eat less later is part of developing a healthy lifestyle. Even Weight Watchers makes this kind of allowance. If you exercise X amount, you're allowed Y more points.

This whole doom and gloom and you're going to ruin your life tone is really sort of irking me here.

SoulBliss
01-24-2008, 01:29 AM
I really wanted an extra serving of almonds. So I had them, knowing that the extra time I spent on the bike today (after a yoga and a Pilates class) was good for my body/mind/spirit and so were the extra serving of almonds. ;) Its ALL good. :yes:

3Beans
01-24-2008, 01:58 AM
I'm sorry, but I find this whole line of reasoning specious at best.

What do you think anyone who is dieting to lose weight is doing? YOu might as well take that slippery slope argument and apply it to anything that any of us is doing:
cutting some calories might lead to you cutting all calories
drinking a lot of water might lead to drinking too much water
exercising some might lead to exercising too much

It's silly.

Knowing that there are times that you might want to allow yourself a treat and work it off later or eat less later is part of developing a healthy lifestyle. Even Weight Watchers makes this kind of allowance. If you exercise X amount, you're allowed Y more points.

This whole doom and gloom and you're going to ruin your life tone is really sort of irking me here.

Photochick, this isn't what I'm talking about. What gloom and doom are you referring to? Perhaps you missed this statement in my post: "Sure, if you burn a lot of extra calories on a particular day you may need to eat more." Since the whole post was only three sentences long I'm not sure how that got lost. But anyway.

Planning to go over on special occasions, having treats sometimes, or simply making mistakes is part of the process as I understand it - and all that has worked out fine for me. However, allowing that to become "I can have whatever I want whenever I want it and deal with it later" as a habit would probably make it difficult to achieve fitness goals.

Of course, I'm only speaking from my own silly experience.

linda25590
01-24-2008, 02:08 AM
try making it up to hubby for eating his chocolate, might burn a few calories lol (YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN)

PhotoChick
01-24-2008, 04:48 AM
I think warnings of "exercise bulimia" based on an afternoon of swimming, less than 400 calories over 2 days, and an extra 20 mins on the treadmill ... I do think that's "gloom and dooming" ....

Lovely
01-24-2008, 07:11 AM
This seems like just one of those "some people can handle it some people can't" things.

From my experience, I haven't had a problem exercising a little before or after to handle a little bit of a high-calorie food. If I plan to do it, I stick with it. I'm not going to eat a whole cake & expect that not to affect me even if I ride a bike for 15 minutes later on.

However, it isn't for everyone. As Jay mentioned, it's possible to either eat way too much, thinking one can exercise it off later, or they don't stick with actually exercising it off.

It comes down to being bluntly honest with yourself about how you handle food and exercise. Or if you tried doing this a couple of times and find yourself falling into the unhealthy habit of wayovereating or not actually exercising... then this is a "no-go" idea for you.

*shrug* Guess it's just an agree to disagree sort of thing. :)

Gale02
01-24-2008, 07:44 AM
PhotoChick,

As people who care about Amy and her success, people brought up the subject of exercise bulimia; not as an accusation, but as a caution. You're right, exercising a little extra to burn off a few more calories isn't going to hurt anything. Doing it constantly, or eating the extra calories on a regular basis with the best of intentions to burn them off later isn't healthy. As we all know, the best of intentions go haywire... how else did we all get fat in the first place?

The "doom and gloom" you're reading is people sharing their experience and letting Amy know, friend to friend, that a red flag went off when they read her post. Not because they think she's in the wrong, but because they want to make sure she stays healthy. IMO, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

amouse
01-24-2008, 04:58 PM
i dont mind its just a warning about something i wont do .. lol Im sorry to have started a war.. lol .. I am pretty good at keeping on track actually but i was not happy when i jumped over calories 2 days in a row .. the first day i understood why and didnt care that much but the second day was to spite my husband and in the end i just did it to myself.. so i did 20minutes more exercise then usual . I know i was stupid to go over and i thought making up for it once was not gonna do me any harm .. but i do understand the pov of those with warnings.. just because i am strong with my ideals someone else reading this post may not be ... oh look i can over eat and then just burn it off.. truely i dint thin k about that when i started it and just wanted some honest opinions which is what i got . I thank you all for your reply and i agree with both sides of this arguement..

and for the record i have not lost any weight what so ever this week and we all know why lol... i put myself into starvation mode on saturday with all the swimming lol.. But i love swimming and the pool is heated and the kids love it ,, so i know ill do it again.. its summer here also.. so i wont to make the most of my pool and enjoy the summer.Next time i go swimming ill have to see how long its takes before i start losing weight again.. and then i can figure out what to do.. Would you guys not exercise for a few days if you have gone swimming to make up the deficit or what ? i continued to exercise 1 hour a day and i have not lost a pound . what do you reccomend?

as far as burning off the mistake doing it once wont hurt.. but DONT DO IT AGAIN.. its loud and clear ..
great big hugs too all and once again thank you for your honesty :)
love Amy

PaulaM
02-05-2008, 11:26 PM
I read something from a personal trainer (not mine unfortunately, don't have one) He said it's always easier not to eat something in the first place than to try and burn it off afterwards. It has really stuck in my mind. I hope I can remind myself of that before I eat too much the next time.

I was doing the "just walk on the treadmill more" but then I said, ok maybe I'm burning off what I just ate, but isn't the whole point to burn off old fat, not new?

bigtxmomma
02-06-2008, 12:36 AM
I dunno. I can see why some people might doom and gloom. Pretty much with every diet plan I failed, the end began with one tiny little transgression, then with me accepting the transgression. Which then cascaded into another tiny little transgression, and then into this whole futile mess of, "Well if I did A, does doing B make any difference?" And then the whole diet plan was shot. But that's just me. =D Some people probably are more flexible

I liked what FresnoBeeDude said, to do a trade off later with another item you'd plan on eating. I like to think of intake on a weekly basis instead of simply a daily one.

You didn't stray too horribly off plan, and your body might have been regulating itself after the enormous workout you did the day before.

blueyedlvrgirl
02-06-2008, 02:08 PM
I think on the day that you do that much extra exercise, you should add a few more calories with lots of fruits and veggie, that way your body doesn't think you are starving. If you answer the increased hunger with food (just make sure the choices are healthy), then your body should re-balance itself out. Then you can continue on with your regular routine of exercise and calorie consumption. My doctor has told me that on days of more intense or prolonged activity to make sure I add 150-200 calories of whole grains, fruit and/or vegetables. It will feed the increased hunger with healthy choices and keep the body from going into a starvation mode. It also helps to regulate for the following days. In the past I have done this and never missed a beat with my weight loss after days like you had in the pool. Try it and see if it works. You are going to have to test the waters and see what works for your body. Hope this helps!!!