South Beach Diet - whole wheat/whole grain -- I don't get it!

cheerio
01-21-2008, 04:37 PM
Guys I'm so confused! In the SB book he says that 100% whole wheat does not mean it's 100% whole grain. But every other source I've looked up says it's the same! What's the deal?

Ruthxxx
01-21-2008, 04:49 PM
There are other grains besides wheat. Rice is a good example. A whole grain product could contain rice, millet, oats, corn, etc.

Not to pick on your cute name, but Cheerios are whole grain - whole grain oats. (They also contain corn starch, modified corn starch and wheat starch so are really not SBD legal.)

I hope this clarifies things.

kaplods
01-21-2008, 04:55 PM
Maybe it's a misprint. I could be wrong, but when I read the book, I seem to remember mine saying that "whole wheat" did not mean 100% whole wheat (and therefore 100% whole grain).

Many bread makers label their bread as whole wheat, when it is not made with 100% whole wheat. Reading the label, you can see that whole wheat might be the first ingredient, but other (non-whole grain) flours are also added. Some "multi-grain" breads will have a label that says "made with whole wheat" and by reading the nutrition label, you might find that whole grains aren't even the first ingredient.

MellieInWI
01-23-2008, 03:17 PM
Now I'm confused too! What *should* we look for on bread ingredients?

tomandkara
01-23-2008, 05:49 PM
The first ingredient (which indicates it's the largest proportion of the ingredients) should be a whole grain. NOT enriched flours. NOT "wheat" flour (white flour is made from wheat but doesn't include the "shell" - I forget the real name - of the wheat grain, which is what makes it better for your body). NO hydrogenated oils. NO high fructose corn syrup. NO corn anything, really.

I think there's a sticky in the SBD FAQs about how to choose bread.

Kara