Exercise! - Elliptical/Nordic Walking question?

Goldana
01-20-2008, 09:13 AM
I have a Nordic Walking machine which is similar to an Elliptical. My machine only has a time mode, step/stride mode, and calories burned. I'm trying to figure out what distance I am walking though?
I imagine a stride in Nordic walking brings you further than normal walking since it is similar to skiing. Anyone have any idea how many strides approximately on this machine equals a mile?
I'm not really that concerned with distance, just thought it might be fun to know.
Thanks!

Just Deb
01-20-2008, 10:58 AM
My elliptical doesn't have distance either - it just counts steps. I read somewhere that there are 2000 steps in a mile, so I just estimate based on that. I know that the length of my stride is probably more or less than thiers, but its just motivates me more to say 2 miles.

baffled111
01-20-2008, 12:43 PM
I've never really understood the distance thing on the elliptical. The ones at the gym report my going fantastic distances (8 miles in 30 mins, eg) but I'm not really sure what the significance of it is. The more important thing is the amount of time and the level of intensity.

BassAckwards
01-20-2008, 10:54 PM
My elliptical has distance and speed. It does "laps" and 4 laps equal one mile. Maybe yours is saying 8 laps which would be 2 miles?

Goldana
01-21-2008, 05:20 AM
Okay, thanks everyone! I will just go with 2,000 = 1 mile.

Just Deb
01-21-2008, 11:58 AM
Baffled - I understand what you mean but thinking "I'm going to climb on this thing and sweat for the next 1/2 hour or hour" just does not motivate me. I know it is all in my head and I am probably not actually going a mile or whatever, but it gives me something to push myself towards. And believe me my machine doesn't exagerate like the one at your gym. I am thrilled to do a "mile" (2000 steps) in a half hour.

Pavewife
02-28-2008, 06:53 PM
I use Cardio Coach for my elliptical workout. 30 minutes passes by so quickly and I work my buns off (I hope)!

just get it done
02-28-2008, 06:59 PM
Pavewife, what is Cardio Coach?