General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2002, 03:57 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Default Doin' it the old fashioned way #5!

Hi,
Welcome! This is our fifth thread-I am so glad! We have had quite a few people posting on this thread, and a ton of people reading the posts, even if they aren't posting themselves! I am happy we have been successful thus far-we are all smaller since this thread got started, and hopefully I can motivate some more of you out there to join us!
For the newbies, I started this thread to motivate and join forces with women who are losing their excess weight by limiting their calorie intake and exercising. You can use a calorie book, Weight Watchers point system, or a Richard Simmons food mover guide-it is all just different ways of keeping track of the same thing.
This way of life is the only thing that has worked for me as far as losing a large amount of weight and keeping it off-to maintain goal weight you just up your food intake to a bit larger level than to lose.
I don't use pills-especially any with ephedra/ephedrine, any gimmicks, or crash diets. I try to make healthier choices and substitute healthy cooking methods in fatty recipes. Exercise is a daily part of my regime.
My weight problem stems from emotional eating binges of mostly sugary starchy food, and we talk here about that issue also.
I beleive prescription aids are not right for me, and that even in extreme cases, bariatric surgery should only be considered as a last resort. I think a lot of times people try every quick fix in the book and just don't understand why they cnnot lose weight.
We share a lot of information here, and tons of support-we urge you to post here, or if you feel more comfortable you can just lurk.
I find that this plan, while I make healthy choices daily, lets me have the occassional treat and not feel deprived. I am not swearing off a certain food, or only eating a certain combination of foods. I can eat out, or at a party. It may seem like a lot to keep track of at first, but it does get a lot easier-you soon learn to memorize the calories in your foods you eat regularly.
Please join us!
Aphil
202/189/13 lost-first goal 160
Old 02-04-2002, 04:22 PM   #2  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Default "The old-fashioned way"

Hi aphil!

Yes, doing it "the old-fashioned way" is probably the best for me. Pills scare me and are unnatural and are just a temporary fix. Eating sensibly, with occasional treats; and fitting exercise in regularly is what I want to do.

I guess the thought of calorie counting is daunting to me - what kind of reference do you use? Like a little pocket book of foods with calorie counts? Do you figure meals first, with approximate calories; or just actually what you have eaten? I guess hearing about someone else's game plan might help me.

Any idea of what my calorie intake should be? (Female - 41 yrs.- will be trying to exercise at least 5X weekly - *and I JUST got on the scale, which I haven't done in months - I am 176 lbs., and I feel I would be healthy/happy somewhere between 140-150 lbs.) Thanks for your support!!
Old 02-04-2002, 05:38 PM   #3  

Holly,
You might want to try about 1500 calories a day. You can get a good calorie count book at a bookstore. You can also get that information at restaurant websites.
Until you get used to it, try to eat a certain amount of calories at each meal, then you can switch it a bit as you go along.
Try this-
breakfast-300
lunch-400
snack-100
dinner-600
snack-100
After a while it gets easier and you don't have to measure out everything or look in the book. Your favorites you will remember.
Hope that helps!
Aphil
Old 02-04-2002, 09:26 PM   #4  

Hi Everyone, I haven't been on in quite a while. Some crazy things going on at home and it is making it hard for me to stay focused. Aphil, I read the thread that you posted to Vermont Mom. I like how you broke down the calories for the day, I think I am going to give it a try.

For everyone else here is a little about myself. I am 43 years old. Married for 22 years and mother of 5 children. 4 girls, 1 son. Ages are 21, 19, 16, 12 and 9. No wonder I am going gray (Lol).
I used to belong to Weight Watchers. I started at Weight Watchers weighing in at 198lbs. It took me 10 months and I lost 65 lbs. Boy was I proud of myself. We maybe I got to cocky or what but I lost my focused and have gained back 30 lbs. Now I am trying to get back on track. I used to walk outside or on my treadmill 3 miles or more everyday. Now if i even get on my treadmill i am lucky. Any suggestions from anyone who be really appreciated.
Thanks
Debbie
Old 02-05-2002, 09:47 AM   #5  

Hi,
Feelingblue-what you need to realize is that there are peopl without weight problems-those that either can eat whatever they want and not gain, or that they have a natural control and only eat when they are hungry-then there are people like us-we crave food and we emotionally eat-we ARE NEVER GOING TO BE ONE OF THE OTHER PEOPLE! No matter how well we do or how long we keep off the weight-it is still a daily struggle. You must accept that fact if you are going to succeed. We are never going to be a naturally thin person.
Try writing down 50 reasons why you want to be thin and fit on a sheet of paper-then try to write down as many on another sheet why you don't want to-other than not wanting to exercise and eating what you want to-it's hard to write m=down much more than that. Nothing worth it is easy...Keep those papers in you purse or on the fridge-and read them every day when you are tempted to eat or not to exercise.
When you don't want to exercise-try doing something small at least-you'll feel better if you do.
VermontMom-The reason I calorie count is because while I make healthy choices-I like to eat out occassionally, or have a trip to Taco Bell now and then ...I am human and I can't avoid foods like this always.
I organized the calorie counts, because newbies do one of two things-they save a ton of calories to eat at dinner and are starving all day, or they use up too many of them by midday, and don't have enough left for a decent dinner.
Here are some good substitutions for regular higher calorie foods, and some good ones for your snacks:
Wonder Light bread-40 calories a slice (regular bread can be up to 80 a slice)
Banana-100 calories for a smaller one-a filling snack
small apple-80 calories
packet of instant oatmeal-110-140 calories depending on flavor
Slim-Fast shake-220 calories-great for a quick breakfast if you don't have time to fix anything
If you drink coffee or tea, try to use sweetener instead of sugar to save calories
When I make garlic toast for my kids, I butter theirs, but use Pam spray on mine for no added calories...
If you go out to eat, here are some good choices-Bob Evans fruit plate-250 calories, Taco Bell chicken fiesta burito-370 calories, KFC honey BBQ sandwich-310 calories-a lot better for you than the deep fried chicken,
Any cereal by Kashi is great-low calorie, high in soy protein-so it's filling and great for women,
Drink a lot of water-it's great for your body, and it keeps you feeling full.
If your family hates skim milk, try 1%-it's not as watery, and it has less calories than 2% or whole
I hope some of these suggestions help! You may also try to find low fat recipes on the web, or in a cookbook.
When baking, replace half of the oil in a recipe for unsweetened appleasuce-it keeps the moistness in and adds less calories.
I hope some of these suggestions help you out-I'm telling you, after a while this counting thing gets easier and easier...
To help you guys out, I am going to start a thread soon of low fat recipes-I will let you know as soon as I do this.
If any of you are having problems or need more support-I am here for you-you can tell me anything. If you feel uncomfortable posting something-feel free to personal message me anytime!

Have a great day!
Aphil
202/189/13 pounds lost!
first goal 160
ps-Yesterday was the first time I tried on a certain pair of jeans I could not button or zip before....they fit!!!!!And I wore them all day...ha ha ha
Old 02-05-2002, 10:22 AM   #6  
Biker Chick!

Default Great tips!

Hello Aphil!

Your message is full of great tips! I admit I was thinking of hoarding calories...I'll try not to do that.

Congrats on the looser-fitting jeans! That is so great. There is nothing like success to keep one motivated.

I feel good, as I have done my aerobics for the day, had oatmeal packet for breakfast; and am drinking water.

I am also anticipating receiving some new exercise tapes that I ordered, hopefully to keep my enthusiasm going. I'm feeling twinges in muscles I haven't felt in a long while!

Have a great day!

Holly
Old 02-05-2002, 10:06 PM   #7  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

Default JUST DROPPING IN....

As a calorie/fat gram counter, I can only say that my motivation has recently disappeared!!! ...but I do love your suggestion Aphil of writing down 50 reasons why we want to lose weight and be slim...and 50 why we don't!...that should be quite eye opening...and I bet there really aren't 50 reasons I can come up with to stay fat!!!! lol

I am planning to make these lists and keep them with me at all times....hopefully this will help keep me on track..

And for those looking for an online calorie counter...try: http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/cgi-bin/nut_search.pl

This is a great search engine which has most common foods and lists not only calories, but many other nutrients as well.

Good luck to all!

Frouf
Old 02-06-2002, 07:27 AM   #8  

Good Morning Everyone,

First off, Thank you Aphil, for the advice, I am going to try writing down the 50 reasons but it is a little intimidating. I am so happy that you are going to post low fat recipes. I am always on the net searching for low fat recipes. I like your suggestions for alternatives. I love Kashi Good Friends cereal, I use Fit milk because they add calcium to it and it is 0 fat. For lunch or anytime I just love salad. I am the type of person who has to crunch or I feel like I haven't eaten. Sometime I will just eat a pickle for a snack because of the crunch. Congrats on the loose fitting jeans that is terrific.

VermontMom - Hi, Good job on the aerobics. I have never tried that. I walked a mile yesterday on my treadmill. I started a contest with my kids. We are planning a trip to Walt Disney World for next year. So I told my kids that for every 5 miles they walk or run, I will give them $1 Disney dollar. I thought that this would be a good way to disquise exercise and the bonus they would have spending money for Florida. They wanted $1 for every mile but I said guys, come on Mom and Dad have to pay for this whole trip you guys have to earn your own spending money. So far two of the kids have walked 2 miles each day and my youngest hasn't walked at all yet. She is the one who really needs to walk. SHe is only 9 and weight 117 lbs. I am so worried about her. I hope this will get her motivated and excited.

Thanks everyone for listening.
Have a great Day.
Debbie
Old 02-06-2002, 09:03 AM   #9  

Hi,
Thanks for posting girls-as far as motivation, when I feel I am lacking-I look at unflattering pictures of myself, home videos, and think of all the situations I would like to be thin at-reunions, family functions, summer parties-run-ins with ex-boyfriends, which I will be having this summer-my mother and stepfather are renting camper space at grounds owned by my high school love's parent's....talk about motivation!!!!
I don't want him to think I got married and then got all fat!!ha ha
I know the list may seem intimidating-but who are we hiding from??? This isn't something anyone has to see. If we can't be honest with ourselves, then we can't do this!
Holly-please try to eat as I have prescribed, as far as calories go-if you are not a snacker, you can add those calories in with your meals evenly, but you do need to eat at regular intervals and not hoard them all in one or two meals or snacks. This will slow down your metabolism and defeat what you are trying to do in the first place! It will also wreak havoc with your blood sugar and invite binge eating in the afternoon-your body will demand food and you will be more tempted to make unhealthy choices.
Here is a sample of one of my menus this past week:
breakfast-SlimFast shake-220
snack-nectarine-70
lunch-1c.whole wheat spaghetti &1/2c. sauce-250
large banana-110
dinner-1c. broccoli&corn blend-80
light smoked sausage-300
small baked potato w/1T. margerine-200
snack-1 cookie
calories-1350
You can actually eat a pretty large dinner if you eat a main course and use a lot of veggies for volume. Frozen taste the best and come in a lot of varieties-but if you use margerine be sure to measure it out-at 100 calories for a Tablespoon it can be a killer if you try to estimate at first-be sure you get used to measuring this if you plan to eat out-so you can tell what this amount looks like by sight.
If you have a potato in a restaurant-have them put the butter on the side so you can put it on yourself-they will easily put 3-4 Tablespoons on it!!!
You will soon learn to adjust your meals and snacks each day-like if I eat a larger breakfast, I will have a smaller snack-like a diet jello for 10 calories-and if I eat out for dinner, I may forgo the evening snack altogether.
If you go to lunch at work, try somewthing healthier like Subway, or a salad and chili at Wendy's. You can get most of the calories at the websites of these chains.
Have a good day!
Aphil
202/189/13 lost
Old 02-06-2002, 09:22 AM   #10  
Biker Chick!

Default Good Morning everyone!

Hi everyone!

Froufy - thank you for the address for the online calorie counter site. I've bookmarked it and will use it.

Debbie - great idea for the kids toexercise! For those kids who just aren't naturally active (like mine) one sometimes needs to really nudge them - nagging doesn't work, so a reward sounds better. I hope your daughter gets excited and involved!

Aphil - Yes, the list of 50 reasons why we want to be thinner and fit just can't compare to the second list! And so true, the fact that some people just don't have a problem with food; and us that do. Just as some people have problems with alcohol or drugs...

I went food shopping, and tried to shop with thinking of moderate, healthy snacks of around 100 calories; as in the evening is when I am most tempted to eat (for no real reason); nonfat yogurt, smaller-sized pieces of fruit; "light" sliced breads...

Have a healthy day, everyone!

Sincerely, Holly
Old 02-06-2002, 10:17 AM   #11  

Hey everyone,

This is like a whole new thread Hi Aphil, Holly, Debbie and Frouf Hopefully the rest of the girls will find their way over. Anyway, I've been working 12 hour days this week, so needless to say I haven't been running at all. I've also been eating fairly poorly. Nothing too "bad," but my calories have been in the 1600-1700 range instead of the 1300-1400 range. That on top of no exercise is a bad combination. I can totally tell when it's time for me to be going to the grocery store because my calorie intake is so much higher when I don't have fresh fruits and veggies. The only problem is I'm on an extremely tight budget now and I just can't afford to go to the store. Don't worry, I'm not starving myself, I have plenty of non-perishables that I can be eating instead. Not the healthiest thing, I know

I weighed in this morning, still at 168. I have been doing this since August and it just seems so slooooow now. I know, I should be aiming at 1-2 lbs a week, but I'm not even getting that at this point. I need to get back into being strict about my eating, but it's tough - if I am truly hungry, then I'm going to eat, that's all there is to it. Ok, well I hope everyone is doing well.

Lexxy
Old 02-06-2002, 11:02 AM   #12  

Lexxy,
I know how you feel girl-I always lose a few in a week, then it stops a while, then later I lose a few more...it can be frustrating. I wouldn't worry about your calorie intake so much-you are usually very active-and the types of exrecise you do are really good for muscle. As long as you stay under 1800 you can still lose, it will just be slower-and I have two kids-I know how it is not to have the $$ to go to the store all the time! If you have a large enough freezer-I suggest you get a couple bags of frozen veggies-they are cheaper than fresh-usualy uncer a dollar a bag-and come in a lot of varieties.
This costume business is really getting me-I can't figure out how I am going to put these metal arcs on my head-I can't find something to use as a base that will stay hidden! If I don't I am going to give myself a labotomy!
I have a lot of sewing experience, but this takes the cake!!!!!
(For the newbies, I am entering a sci-fi type costume contest in May-my husband loves that sort of stuff)
After my little bout with the sickness I had the last few weeks, I am getting back into exercising-and I feel much better...
I need to get something for lunch also-I'm famished!!!!
Aphil
Old 02-06-2002, 08:05 PM   #13  

Hi Everyone!

I haven't posted in a while because after a few weeks of losing I blew it. I don't know why. I felt really motivated. My son was really sick so I bought him some ice cream and I ended up eating it. Bingeing on it! I feel so frustrated because I was on a good losing streak and now I've gained it all back and have to start all over again.

I feel motivated again after reading your posts however and I guess all I can do is just try again.

Aphil way to go on fitting into those jeans! Isn't that just the greatest feeling?
Old 02-06-2002, 08:13 PM   #14  

Sprite,
What you and everyone here needs to remember is NOT TO TURN A ONE EVENING"'S BINGE INTO A WEEK LONG EATING SPREE!!!!!!
We are all human-but there is no reason to let one setback turn into a week or a month of not doing anything and pigging out! We are all going to slip up-you just can't let a mistake turn into failure. This is why so many lose and don't keep it off-they let one mess up get to them and they gain back all they worked to lose.
You have to get right back on the horse if you want to keep that weight off. Next time I hope you will post right after a binge and tell is how you are feeling...we can help you with the strength to get back to it.
I am glad you are back-please don't go again out of emberassment or guilt-we are all in the same boat here.
Love,
Aphil
Old 02-07-2002, 11:57 AM   #15  

Hi guys!

Aphil thanks for the words of encouragement. It is only 9 am and I have already had a binge! I did some baking yesterday for a function I had to go to and I made way too much. So there was alot left over this morning and as soon as I dropped my son off at school I went right home to the fridge and started pigging out! Now I feel sick with a stomach ache and so dissapointed in myself. I've gone months without binges before and have to try and get myself back there. And you are right I am not going to let this become a week long or month long binge. It stops now! Thank you I hope this will help me. I think I know why I'm doing it. I am really run down and haven't been sleeping properly. This really lowers my defenses.
Closed Thread