Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 01-18-2008, 08:45 AM   #1  

Default New Chick Here

Hi! This is my first post in 3FC and I thought this was the most appropriate forum. I am 25 year old, who has battled binge eating disorder for almost 4 years. I have never ever had a day that food has not consumed my day - either binging, counting the days since I have not binged or evaluating the pounds on the scale. I am not technically overweight, but I am the heaviest I have ever been in my life. I am currently trying to place my focus on not binging instead of any specific diet, but the scale and over-exercising are still my obsessions. Currently I am on day five of not binging, I have never gone more than 21 days in the past four years. I could really use some support and perhaps some friends to keep in contact with. I have been lurking for a bit and your posts are very inspirational.
IzzieBella77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 02:38 PM   #2  

Hi!! It really is a complicated issue, isn't it. When I was thin I use to look at people and wonder why they didn't go on a diet. Now that I am older I realize it is a lot more complicated than that.

What tools are you using to overcome binging?? How are you doing now? Good luck.

Gina
GinaXOXO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 05:19 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

I think you have found the right place. I've been battling binge and compulsive overeating for 10 years. I've made great progress, but I struggle on a daily basis. It's incredibly difficult to overcome an eating disorder without professional intervention, so if you have that option (and are ready), then I encourage you to do so. I couldn't imagine that I'd still be dealing with this 10 years on, and it isn't because I'm unaware or denying the problem, it's because I'm scared and stubborn about confronting and letting go of something that became part of my identity before I came into adulthood.
HarpoChicoGroucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 05:55 PM   #4  

Thanks for the responses. Good to know that I am not alone. I am in therapy, trying to get help that way. I am also keeping a food journal and although I am not trying to subscribe to any specific plan, I am just trying to make good choices and avoid binges. I still exercise pretty much daily, but I am not being obsessive, or at least trying not to be. The last time I binged was five days ago, so that is something. Hopefully I can continue on like this.

HarpoChicoGroucho - Your pictures are incredible. You are so beautiful and have accomplished so much!! Congrats!
Old 01-19-2008, 04:30 AM   #5  
Geek and like it.

Location: i am neither greek nor athenian, but a citizen of the world.

welcome! gosh, you're brave to talk about this in therapy! I get too scared because I used to be anorexic and despite the fact I'm a normal weight, therapists just tend to assume I'm lying if I say I don't starve anymore. Hope you got a good one.
This is a great thread. Everyone is so nice
Me23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 04:30 AM   #6  
Geek and like it.

Location: i am neither greek nor athenian, but a citizen of the world.

thread? I meant forum, sorry! But thread too...
Me23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 07:27 PM   #7  

Default welcome

It's funny, I decided today to stop lurking and actually get involved in this site (I've been reading it for years) and when I read your post it was like I could have written it!

If you're looking for some support and accountability I'd love to talk to someone who is in a similar boat.

Briefly, I'll be 25 in March anad have been binge eating since I lost about 70lbs just a few years ago. I was in a long term relationship with a guy that was bulimic and since getting out of that the bingeing has gotten better but I still turn to food for comfort. I often find myself thinking how nice it would be to eat food and not feel such an emotional tie to it. To eat food for fuel.

Anyway the boards are good for suppoort and different viewpoints, so I'm glad to be a part of them. Easier said than done, but we all haave the power to change our lives - I truly believe that. So, game on! It's a new year
OrdinaryDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 12:44 PM   #8  

Me23 - therapy is helpful in general, but I haven't found it entirely helpful with binge eating disorder - I think it is a disease that is not understood by the general population. Our society is immersed with images of anorexia and bulimia, but with this, I think it is just assumed that this is just the case of fat people complaining or people of average weight who just starve and then binge. It truly is its own infliction. That being said, I prefer talking to people who have experienced it.

OrdinaryDay - so glad you started writing as well - I haven't been around the past couple of days, but I plan on checking in every day. Sorry you seem to have some of the same inflictions as me, but I'm glad we found our way here.

Hope anyone else reading is doing well - would love to hear from you!
Old 01-21-2008, 02:27 PM   #9  

I totally understand. I'm 28 yrs old but for years binge eating was my whole life. It ruined so many wonderful days of my life. It took the joy out of everything. The quality of my life sucked because of it.
I was 25yrs old when I stopped binge eating. I havn't binged in three years and now I can't imagine binge eating. Letting it go is the best thing in the world. Believe it's possible because it is.
I believe in you-
Luv Lisa
LISA28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 02:59 PM   #10  

That is great Lisa!!

Is therapy helping even though you feel it isn't an area your therapist is specialized in?

I have been telling you all about the book Shrink Yourself that has really opened my eyes. I am not done reading the book and I am going to subsribe to their online course. It is a 12 week program. I will let you know how it goes. It was reviewed really well so I hope to have some support as I make these changes.

Gina

PS I still think exercise is a huge component.
GinaXOXO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 05:26 PM   #11  

Lisa - it is so nice to hear from someone with long term success. Congrats!!

Gina - i still consider my therapy a useful tool. I think everyone could use some at one point in their life. People need to let the stigma go. I am looking into the book you recommended. Definitely keep us updated on the course.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:21 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 151/151/139

Height: 5*7

hi im new too i am nicole (nyk)
i have had the same problem as you! i am tryign so hard! food consumes my mind adn thoughts theres day when i havent gone to work or school just because i ate soo much! talk to me adn we can work this out!
nyk161616 is offline   Reply With Quote