South Beach Diet - What are your SB Faves?

View Full Version : What are your SB Faves?

Schmoodle
01-17-2008, 03:00 PM
Hi chicks,
I was just digging through the recipe files again, and since I am lazy, and time is short, I was wondering what everybody's all-time faves are from the recipes section. Some of these have made it to stickies, but not all. This might also help the newbies find the really good stuff. So, I am looking for the things that have become part of your regular rotation, that are so good you would make them on a regular basis even if you weren't on the beach (that's hypothetical, of course none of us will ever leave the beach!).

Mine are:
Apricot, Goat Cheese, and Pistachio Salad
Mediterranean Chicken
Chicken Divan
Broccoli Cheese Soup
Refried Bean Soup
Roasted Eggplant Stuffed with Beef
Oatmeal Breakfast Bars
Cottage Cheese Pancake
Taco Bake
Roasted Red Pepper Soup
Antipachos
Wendy's Chili
Stuffed Pepper Soup
Chicken Enchiladinis

If any of your faves aren't in the recipes yet, be sure and post them!

piratexsmile
01-17-2008, 05:06 PM
Hey Schmoodle! I tried that lettuce wrap recipe last night and it was FANTASTIC!! It will definitely be something I made once every few weeks. But only because I'm too lazy to make it every week :p

LoveMySgt
01-17-2008, 05:44 PM
Chicken Divan
Taco Bake

mmmm, my beachiness is sort of on hold right now but these are recipes I will continue to use forever!

cottagebythesea
01-17-2008, 05:52 PM
Here are some of recipes I use on a regular basis -

Apricot, Goat Cheese, and Pistachio Salad
Shrimp Scampi
Shrimp or Chicken Fried "Rice"
Chicken Divan
Chicken & Spinach Casserole
Fireside White Bean & Sausage Soup
Spinach Souffle Stuffed Chicken
Fettucini Alfredo (made w/shrimp or chicken, sans fettucini)
Spicy Thai Sauce
Taco Bake
Stuffed Peppers
Wendy's Chili
Oatmeal Bars
Black Bean Brownies
Peanut Butter Cup

Leia
01-17-2008, 10:20 PM
*goes off to find that taco bake everyone is listing!*

My favorite so far is simply making a casserole of grilled chicken breast and onions, with lima beans (mmmmMm!); red bell pepper and light grated cheddar cheese.

luvmyfam
01-17-2008, 11:02 PM
From the recipes here? I really like the chocolate cheesecake smoothie and the egg white waffles (can't remember what they're called). The smoothie is so easy, and really helped me the last time I tried this, when I just didn't want to do eggs and nothing but eggs again!

Ooh, also, there was a Peanut Butter Cup recipe with lite Cool Whip, peanut butter, and sugar-free chocolate syrup. It was a frozen thing...and it was DELICIOUS!

From the SB cookbook, I absolutely love the Baked Chicken Pesto. So simple and delicious. The whole family likes that one.

luvmyfam
01-17-2008, 11:03 PM
*goes off to find that taco bake everyone is listing!*

My favorite so far is simply making a casserole of grilled chicken breast and onions, with lima beans (mmmmMm!); red bell pepper and light grated cheddar cheese.

Oh, YEAH!! I made that once and it was (to quote Rachael Ray) "delish!"

zookeepera949906
01-18-2008, 12:29 PM
We love the parmesan/almond crusted chicken - even my hubby who hates nuts!

xGurlyGrlx
01-18-2008, 08:34 PM
My favorite recipes here, so far, are the peanut butter cookies, Belgian waffles, Ricotta muffins - savory not sweet, "homefries", and, chicken enchiladinis - probably my fav. I make it at least once a week.
Ohh...and the breakfast cheesecake I tried. I think it already has a sticky, though. It's really good!! Saved me last night.

I still need to try the taco bake! :D

Bauhaus Betty
01-19-2008, 04:26 PM
The Italian White Bean Soup and Refried Bean Soup.

ThinAgainBeginAgain
01-21-2008, 08:31 PM
Okay, here's a favorite recipe I have made for 20 years, but have recently modified for SB....

Crispy Pork Chops

3 or 4 center cut boneless pork loin (one per person)
1/2 cup parmesan cheese (grated)
3 T canola oil
1 T red wine vinegar
1 T lemon juice
1 T parsely
1 tsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 T Dijon mustard

In a shallow pan on a rack, place pork loins, sprinkled with a small amt of parmesan cheese (this is where I used to dip them in flour, egg and breadcrumbs, but we seriously don't even miss this step!!)

Broil for about 5-7 minutes being careful not to burn. Flip, sprinkle a bit more parmesan and broil an additional 5-7 minutes, depending on thickness.

Mix remaining ingredients (starting w/ 1/2 cup parmesan) to make the 'sauce'. Once you have broiled both sides, spoon sauce mixture on top of chops, and broil one side about 5 min, or until they are a bit golden, flip, and spoon mixture on ther side, and broil another 5 min.

Serve w/ a side veggie and salad.... enjoy!!!! These are a tangy, cheesy, yummy main course!! We don't even miss the breading!!!!!!

PHinsUP!
01-22-2008, 11:52 AM
My fav is a recipe from the SBD site...Balsamic Chicken...it's soooo mmmmmm
and the cucumber salad is incredible...my 16 yo son even loves them both

my zydeco soup is also one of my favs...I need to make another pot of soup for this week.

Schmoodle
01-24-2008, 08:28 PM
Tried the parmesan and almond crusted chicken tonight and it was really good. Can't believe I haven't tried that one yet. It's a good thing I liked it because I made enough for six people and I am the only one that ate it (DS is still queasy, and DD ate about three bites, her usual). Haven't quite got that cooking for one thing down yet. Hope it will be as good warmed up. Thanks zookeeper.

piratex, which lettuce wrap recipe?

Next to try: Fireside White Bean and Sausage soup. Been meaning to try this one for a while.

TechieGrrl09
01-24-2008, 09:09 PM
I tried the chocolate cheesecake smoothie last night, and it was so good I couldn't believe it! It is a new favorite of mine. :)

My husband smoked about 10 pounds of boneless skinless chicken breast this weekend and then shredded it all. We put it in 3 ounce serving ziploc bags to throw on top of salads or for a snack. Then one night for dinner we made some SB friendly cole-slaw and BBQ sauce and warmed up the chicken and it was so good.

Chili is a must. We make chili and freeze it. It is a staple.

I also do a mexican dish that we both love. I thinly slice chicken, onions, and bell peppers and saute them in a cast iron skillet with chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper. Think fajitas without the tortilla. I then pile it up on some shredded lettuce, with some salsa, ff sour cream, and a side of guacamole and fat free refried beans. We LOVE IT!

murphmitch
01-24-2008, 09:30 PM
What's the best way to find the recipes that you guys listed? I tried looking for them under the recipes but the lists are so long! I also tried to type the name in the search function but can't get it to come up with anything.

Earthchild
01-25-2008, 08:04 AM
At only 2 days short of 2 weeks, it's a bit early, but the yummiest recipe I've tried so far is the Belgian Waffle recipe that's made with ricotta cheese. I will be buying a waffle maker because of this recipe; have been using the batter for pancakes and they are sooooo good! I use egg whites (have high cholesterol) and am so happy to have found a way to eat egg whites that are not a scramble or omlette! Also the egg whites make the pancakes nice and fluffy! :cp:

Schmoodle
01-25-2008, 08:27 AM
Murph, type a list of the ones you are looking for, and I'll put in links for you.

GONNABE165
01-25-2008, 08:35 AM
My faves are Taco Bake - peanut butter cup - nessas oatmeal bars - chicken divan - white bean muffins with da vinci carmel syrup

murphmitch
01-25-2008, 06:03 PM
Murph, type a list of the ones you are looking for, and I'll put in links for you.

Parmesan and Almond crusted chicken & Balsalmic chicken sound good to start.

Schmoodle
01-25-2008, 10:05 PM
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119676&highlight=balsamic+chicken

Schmoodle
01-25-2008, 10:07 PM
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51567&highlight=parmesan+almond+chicken

pamatga
01-26-2008, 05:43 PM
Wow! You guys have really been cooking up a storm. All that I have been doing is modifying my old favorites that I have been cooking for years. I had a good run with my homemade chili which I could eat meal after meal and never get tired of. I did "discover" that my usual red kidney beans I had used "forever" had added sugar so I switched and am using red beans instead. Still delicious.

I have made a psuedo pizza which I posted on here and it is somewhere around. That has saved me when I get the craving for pizza. When we have tacos like we are tonight I will just have all of the "insides" without the outsides like the wraps although I did recently buy some low carb tortillas. I haven't tried them yet though. I did that also with fajitas--just put on a bed of lettuce and it worked for me.

I have been pretty satisfied with relatively simple meals right now. I am still sticking to Phase One structure in Phase Two so I am eating 5-6 smaller meals and only adding in the 3/3 carbs/fruits allowed with an eye on sticking to the lower glycemic index foods. I haven't really felt the cravings for anything else yet. Maybe, I just need to be on this longer than I have. I am nearing the end of Week Two of Phase Two.

All sounds delish ladies. Yum Yum :T :T

MellieInWI
01-27-2008, 08:37 AM
I tried the famous taco bake last night - OMG it was wonderful! I actually used boca crumbles rather than hamburger or ground turkey and my husband and kids didn't know the difference. I gave them tortillas to put the taco bake into and I just put some on shredded lettuce with a little FF sour cream. It was WONDERFUL.

I also like the whole wheat muffins, creamy cucumbers and tomato and white bean soup.

murphmitch
01-27-2008, 11:00 AM
Thanks, Schmoodle for the recipes. I'm going to try them for sure!

Schmoodle
01-30-2008, 10:11 AM
Wow, the chocolate cheesecake smoothie is super yummy! I can see why I passed it by, because I didn't think that adding the cottage cheese to chocolate milk would really be good, but blended up with ice it is very rich and smooth. It's a keeper!

K-boogie
01-30-2008, 11:46 AM
My faves are Taco Bake - peanut butter cup - nessas oatmeal bars - chicken divan - white bean muffins with da vinci carmel syrup

Can you please post he link to the white bean muffin? Thanks

murphmitch
01-30-2008, 12:56 PM
Wow, the chocolate cheesecake smoothie is super yummy! I can see why I passed it by, because I didn't think that adding the cottage cheese to chocolate milk would really be good, but blended up with ice it is very rich and smooth. It's a keeper!

Can you post a link to this? I can't find it.

Schmoodle
01-30-2008, 01:17 PM
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51663&highlight=chocolate+cheesecake+smoothie

murph, I did a search for chocolate cheesecake smoothie and this came right up. How are you searching? Don't worry, I don't mind posting these for you, just want to make sure you can find what you need when you want it.

Here's the white bean muffins:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62552&highlight=white+bean+muffins

Cajun Girl
01-30-2008, 02:04 PM
I have many favorites lately....
Pecan crusted chicken
Stuffed bellpeppers

But here is one that I dont nkow if it is on there- its my moms recipe I altered

Sour Cream Chicken

Chicken breast
Sour Cream
Smart Balance Marg
Green Onions
Mushrooms

Season chicken to your liking-- I use a little tonys, garlic powder and black pepper.
In a pan pour a litte Olive oil in there and coat the pan... Put the chicken breast on and grill both sides to almost cooked... then add in smart balance marg, chopped green onions and mushroom and let that cook for a bit. Then I add in the sour cream. I put I teaspoon on each chicken breast - then cook on low--- This makes a great sauce also and I put a little of it on my steamed broccoli.

only1naked
01-30-2008, 08:55 PM
Hot & Sour Soup
Spinach Lasagne
Smoked Salmon Omelet
Tuna, Bean, & Watercress Salad
Peanut Butter Cup
Crab & Shrimp Cakes w/ Caper Sauce
Spicy Black Bean Salad
Garlic Mushrooms w/ Chipotle
Parmesan Crusted Fish
Buffalo Chicken Rolllups
Edamame w/ Scallions & Sesame

Schmoodle
02-01-2008, 02:23 PM
Bumping this up so I don't lose it!
The fireside white bean and sausage soup is :drool:
I put in a bag of baby spinach and a can of tomatoes with chilis. so good!
Making up my menus for the next week and next on the list of things to try is the zydeco soup.:hun:

tammie00
02-01-2008, 02:45 PM
I made the taco bake yesterday. YUMMY!!! Today I took some and put in a big romaine lettuce leaf with a bit of sourcream and pico. IT was very yummy and the romaine ends gave it a bit of a crunch so kinda felt like ar eal taco. YUMMY!!!