100 lb. Club - has anyone tried Fage brand yogurt?

suzie76
01-17-2008, 02:59 PM
People on another board I frequent recommended Fage Greek yogurt. I bought some yesterday (2% type) and it's delicious! I added a little honey and wheat germ, and it's so good! It's really low in sugar and does not have any chemicals in it. It's not like regular yogurt-it's thick and creamy. I'm going to have it for breakfast tomorrow with honey and strawberries....

I found it at Wegmans, but they also have it at Shop Rite, Acme, Whole Foods and Trader Joe's.

Sherry

Glory87
01-17-2008, 03:05 PM
I absolutely love it. I buy the fat free or 2% and eat it with fresh blackberries. I adore the consistency, it's like super duper rich cool whip (kinda, hard to describe).

foucault
01-17-2008, 03:07 PM
Yes! I eat it almost every day. It's Greek yogurt, which is typically thicker than the yogurt we are used to. I eat the version without any fat and add a tablespoon of honey and a small handful of nuts - usually walnuts. It is delicious and has plenty of protein to keep you feeling fuller longer. I highly recommend it to anyone who is looking for something new and healthy to eat.

Schmoodle
01-17-2008, 03:10 PM
Yes! my favorite evening snack. 0% with agave nectar and some sliced almonds. Yummm!

evilwomaniamshe
01-17-2008, 04:22 PM
It sounds really good, but I've never seen it in my neck of the woods, do normal grocery stores carry it or can I find it in a health food store perhaps?

midwife
01-17-2008, 04:23 PM
Yes! I love it! I have to make a special trip to Whole Foods and everyone in the family eats them, but they are terrific and worth the $$ and the trip.

GirlyGirlSebas
01-17-2008, 04:53 PM
I'll have to make the hour trip to Trader Joe's and look for this. None of the stores in my area carry this and I keep hearing great things about it.

JerseyGyrl
01-17-2008, 05:28 PM
I eat the Fage 5% Greek Yogurt. I add a few blueberries, a splash of vanilla, toasted hazelnut or caramel sugar-free DaVinci's syrup, a sprinkle of cinnamon & chopped, toasted almonds....its delish!!:drool:

nelie
01-17-2008, 06:52 PM
When I used to eat dairy, I'd make my own greek yogurt with a coffee filter. It was much cheaper and just as good (I think).

petra65
01-17-2008, 06:57 PM
I drive out of my way to the health food store to buy them. Fantastic. I put stevia and vanilla extract, then top with your choice of fruits, nuts, seeds, etc.

famograham
01-17-2008, 09:09 PM
Nelie...how did you do it???

Sandi
01-17-2008, 09:29 PM
1 question. Did you guys like regular yogurt to begin with? I'd be tempted to try it, but I don't like regular yogurt.

LittleMissMotivation
01-17-2008, 09:39 PM
I LOVE it, but it's a little out of my budget at more than $2 a pop.. Sometimes going up to $3 just for the snack sized ones! I'd love to have it every day, but with grocery prices shooting up the roof ($8-11 for a regular pre-packed bag of grapes?!? I never remember them costing anywhere NEAR that much!), I feel bad spending $2 on one yogurt. :(

As far as making the thickened yogurt, as a poster above said, you can use a coffee filter or cheesecloth. Regular American yogurt is just runny because it has too much liquid. If you strain it, it becomes thicker and creamier, and if you strain it for a long while, you actually end up making a Middle Eastern cheese called 'labnah' or 'lebneh'.

I actually won't eat most American yogurt as it's too runny and turns me off, and the American-style low-fat or fat-free yogurt has gelatin which I can't eat for personal reasons. Occasionally I'll find a thicker yogurt, something like LaYogurt Sabor Latino (which unfortunately isn't a low-fat yogurt), or I'll just buy a Middle Eastern brand or a yogurt labelled 'home-style' or 'old country', which is generally thicker.

But of the thick yogurts, Fage is DEFINITELY one of the best. You can get a spoonful, turn the spoon upside-down and it will just stay. Gorgeous!

gina1221
01-17-2008, 09:45 PM
I've heard alot about Fage yogurt and I live relatively close to a Trader Joe's so I think I will give it a try, however...

Is it sweetened at all?
Does it come in only one "flavor" (I'm guessing it's plain based on the combinations some people use)?
And can someone tell me the calories and serving size?

Thanks!

CountryGirl18
01-17-2008, 09:54 PM
Is this only in specialty stores or can you find it in grocery stores?

LittleMissMotivation
01-17-2008, 10:04 PM
It comes in whole fat plain, 2% plain, fat-free plain, whole fat plain with a side of honey and supposedly a fruit one a well, but I've never seen one with the fruit side..

Eh - if you go to fageusa.com/products it will give you all the products, but I don't think many stores carry the full range.

murphmitch
01-17-2008, 10:05 PM
I bought the fat free version at a health food store and the only flavors they had was plain. Pretty pricey. $2.50 or so for a 5.3 oz. container, but I agree that the flavor and consistency was much better than American yogurts. Here's the website. I e-mailed the company & they told me where I could find it in my area - only at health food stores.

http://www.fageusa.com/products.html

LittleMissMotivation
01-17-2008, 10:10 PM
Now I'm dying for the honey sidecar with walnut topping and the one with the cherry sidecar! But, my local stores don't carry them. :(

Sheila53
01-17-2008, 10:31 PM
At the Trader Joe's I shop at, you can get it in some fruit flavors. I buy it plain, however, and use the 0%, which was 80 calories for the smaller size. My only quibble with it is the price--it's $1.89 for the "snack size" and $4.59 for the larger size, which is double the price of the "regular" yogurt. Like Nelie, I've used the coffee filter method, which works pretty well. Not quite the same consistency as Fage, but definitely better than other yogurts.

LittleMissMotivation
01-17-2008, 10:36 PM
For the cost, I guess TECHNICALLY you could take a yogurt making machine (or a bucket if you want to be old-fashioned) and use Fage as a starter/mother and make your own yogurt with whatever kind of milk you want.. Not sure how it would turn out, if it would be exactly the same or what, but you can definitely make your own using Fage as the starter. You'd have to be pretty motivated though!

foucault
01-17-2008, 10:54 PM
I buy mine at Trader Joe's. They sell a larger size, which is what I get. I typically eat almost 3/4 a cup at a time. That's what the snack size is, I think. So, 80 calories and no fat (if you get 0%). It's about $5.50 for the large container, and you can easily get three 3/4 cup servings out of it. I buy two a week to have with my lunch. It keeps me full for a long time. I just get the plain and spice it up with some sweet (honey, jam) and throw in some nuts or fruit for some texture. It's about the consistency of sour cream, and the plain flavor does taste bitter if you don't add anything. I couldn't eat it without something added in.

Glory87
01-18-2008, 01:16 AM
1 question. Did you guys like regular yogurt to begin with? I'd be tempted to try it, but I don't like regular yogurt.

I do like regular yogurt, but I got very "yogurted" out after eating yogurt every day for like 2 years. Regular yogurt is more liquid and has a "tang." Plain Fage yogurt is...dense and creamy and thick, the consistency is nothing like regular yogurt, it's more like a really really really think cool whip.

When I first got it, I added a drizzle of dark honey and fruit, now I just need the fruit. It really is the best tasting yogurt I've ever had, I don't eat regular yogurt anymore.

nelie
01-18-2008, 08:56 AM
LittleMissMotivation,

I've never seen gelatin as an ingredient in any yogurt that I ever bought.

Stony field farms ingredients are the following:
CULTURED PASTEURIZED ORGANIC NONFAT MILK, PECTIN, VITAMIN D3. CONTAINS OUR EXCLUSIVE BLEND OF SIX LIVE ACTIVE CULTURES INCLUDING L. ACIDOPHILUS, BIFIDUS, L. CASEI AND L. RHAMNOSUS.

As for making your own thick yogurt,

What I've done is used a strainer placed over a bowl, put a coffee filter over the strainer and dump the yogurt on top of the coffee filter. You then put the bowl into the fridge for at least 10 hours. You can stir it if you like or shake it to help get the water out but you don't really need to touch it. You can then dump the yogurt back in the original container.

I only used to buy plain yogurt so I'd add berries or whatever else to the yogurt before eating.

LittleMissMotivation
01-18-2008, 06:59 PM
The gelatin is used as a thickener in the low or non-fat versions. It has the same application as the fruit pectin in yours.

nelie
01-18-2008, 07:35 PM
That is a nonfat version of an american yogurt though. I've seen pectin in many but never gelatin.

FresnoBeeDude
01-18-2008, 07:38 PM
I eat yogurt daily, I may check this one out when I am in Fresno again. Right now I am truly addicted to Weight Watchers yogurt (I have tried several brands). WW yogurt goes for 2/$1.00 at Wal-Mart (75c each elsewhere). WW Yogurt comes in fun flavors: Cheesecake, Key Lime, Berries N Cream, Strawberry Banana, etc. Each contains 100 calories. 17g carbs. 3g fiber (I never seen yogurt with fiber), 6g of protein, .5g fat

Smiling_Sara
01-18-2008, 07:59 PM
i've never heard of it. Really, the only yogart I've been able to enjoy is Yoplait Thick n Creamy.

suzie76
01-19-2008, 07:36 AM
LittleMiss Motivation (great name, btw!)

The Acme grocery store near me (in NJ) has the Fage yogurt with the sidecar w/fruit, etc. I noticed you live in Philadelphia. Do you have an Acme near you?

Hope that helps!
Sherry

Lyn2007
01-19-2008, 12:14 PM
I am eating Yoplait Light right now and it has Gelatin listed in the ingredients.