Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-16-2008, 06:39 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 211/182/150 (For now)

Height: 5'4"

Default A little upset today....

I woke up and weighed and I was 174...doesn't matter, tomorrow is weigh in day....but I was excited. That's down another pound in a week.

Fast forward to the biggest loser challenge my work is doing. I weighed in on their scale after lunch and I'm 182.

I get home and weigh and weigh and weigh in just about every room in my house trying to see if it's going to change. Nothing. 174. I'm the same as in the morning some days and some I'm up a few pounds. I don't think anything of being the same as in the morning but what's the deal.

They say the scale there is calibrated so it's correct.

Which one would you go by? I understand I've lost 9 or more pounds either way I look at it but still. I think I'll go by mine since that's the one I weigh in on daily but it better go down the same number there or I'll be irate.

I was depressed all afternoon and came home and busted a$$ on my 4 mile challenge. What should I think?
LynseyLikes2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 07:29 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Lynsey - go by your scale if that is what you've been using all along. It isn't productive to worry about it. Either way, your losses are the same, and you can better track what you've lost by using the same scale. The CHANGE is what is important, not necessarily the actual numbers, so relax! Were you wearing the same clothes weighing at home as at work, though? Had you just had some water? Lunch? All of these things DO make a difference!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 07:35 PM   #3  

I had already had 4 18.9 ounce bottles of water and had JUST ate lunch. I also had a bowl of cereal at 6 and a yogurt at 9:30. But that's not 8 pounds worth of stuff is it?

Maybe I can ask if we can weigh first thing so it's better. I know they won't though.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:39 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 230/188/145 Started 1/3/08

Height: 5'4

Lynsey: For the love of G use the scale at home. It is the friendly one. If the BL challenge at work required me to get on a scale that made me depressed I would forget about doing the challenge at work and stick with my home routine. If course, this goes without saying...we place too much emphasis on numbers. If you really want to see if your scale is accurate (rather than relying on the statement that the one at work is calibrated), buy a 5 pound bag of flour and weigh it on your home scale. then you can determine if it's accurate or not.

You are doing beautifully!!!!! Don't get discouraged. We are all behind you.
stayincalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 07:41 PM   #5  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

16 oz of water = 1 lb, so your water intake alone was a little under 5 lbs! Did you weigh at the office in different clothes than at home? Shoes? My shoes can EASILY add 3 lbs to my weigh in, and they aren't particularly heavy shoes.

Weight can fluctuate SO MUCH during the day - that is why most people recommend you weigh at the same time, wearing the same things.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 07:43 PM   #6  

I wasn't going to do it at work but my coworker needed a partner and paid my way in. LOL! So I went with it. I hate the fact that someone there knows my weight now but I'm dealing.

Also, someone there told me that a 5 pound bag may be right on but 10 might be a pound or 2 off and a 20 pound bag of potatoes could be off a couple and the higher it goes the more "off" it gets. Is that true? That has me concerned.

I go to the dr on Feb 21st so I'm anxious to see what hers is compared to mine and theirs. It just brings a person down!
Old 01-16-2008, 07:45 PM   #7  

I took my shoes and hoodie off. I wasn't wearing jeans in the morning either.....jammie pants. But I was in the bathroom at least 5 times before I left so I should've gotten rid of some of that water right?

And how come I'm the same when I get home in the afternoon? Not always but sometimes.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:04 PM   #8  
No description available.

Different scales read differently. I suggest only weighing yourself on the same scale under the same circumstances. At any rate, your loss is the same.

And I would not assume that your doctor's scale is accurate either.

The trend is more important than the digits. Can they honor what you get at your home scale in your work challenge?
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 08:15 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 230/188/145 Started 1/3/08

Height: 5'4

Well, I'm lo carbing so I actually bought a five pound bag of flour to check my scale (even though I will probably end up tossing it in a few months...the flour not the scale...of course, I will probably WANT to toss the scale...). I have a digital scale so when it read within a couple of ounces of 5 lbs I was good with that.

PS: You are courageous. I could NEVER do a work challenge. I would absolutely die if my co-workers actually knew what I weighed.

Kudos to you.
stayincalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 08:54 PM   #10  

Believe me, it was hard. And only one other person knows. I think I trust her.

And no, they won't honor what I get myself at home. They wouldn't even let us weigh ourselves there.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:09 PM   #11  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Lynsey, gosh! Get a grip! This is nothing worth getting in a tizzy about. Really! Weigh yourself once a day, in the morning. Don't weigh in the afternoon. Weigh at work for the challenge, but don't worry about that.

Just use the readings from your home scale for tracking your weight loss. It's about the CHANGE in the numbers, not the numbers themselves...

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 01:35 PM   #12  

Hi Lynsey,

I'm goin' with 174. I read years ago that to weigh accurately is to weigh yourself on the SAME scale without clothes after you pee in the morning after you wake up - not after you eat or drink etc. that affects the body mass weight that a scale captures. Don't weigh yourself on anyone else's scales it will make you nuts as you can see.......

Hope this helps - Ray
Ray of Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 02:27 PM   #13  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

You could also take that 5 lb bag of flour to work and check out their scale.

I would not trust the scales at the dr. They should be required by law to have those things calibrated. Good grief! Any store that sells anything by weight has to have the scales calibrated. Why should a dr who nags us about weight! Sorry for the rant.

IA with the others. Weigh at home. Any changes at home should reflect at work eventually and by no means should you do without food all day until you weigh at work.

Good luck with this.

Don't forget that a gallon of fresh water weighs about 8lbs. So, unless you get rid of part of it, which I think you do or you'd have a severe kidney problem, you can add that weight in as well.

Last edited by cbmare; 01-17-2008 at 02:31 PM.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote