South Beach Diet - Lettuce wraps, possibly?

View Full Version : Lettuce wraps, possibly?

piratexsmile
01-16-2008, 02:39 PM
I was thinking today about some of my favorite foods and how I could adapt them to SBD and I got to thinking about those tasty Lettuce Wraps from PF Changs. So, I looked up a recipe on one of those "restaurant recipe" sites and this is what I found. I'm wondering if it would be okay for P1. I have written substitutions in. It yields about 3 servings, which is why I didn't think of substitutes for certain ingredients (soy sauce, etc).

3 tablespoons oil (soybean oil?)
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 cup water chestnuts
2/3 cup mushrooms
3 tablespoons chopped onions
1 teaspoon minced garlic
4-5 leaves iceberg lettuce

Special Sauce
1/4 cup sugar (sub Splenda, of course:))
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
2 tablespoons ketchup (low carb)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon hot mustard
2 teaspoons water
1-2 teaspoon garlic and red chile paste

Stir Fry Sauce
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons brown sugar (Splenda brand or other substitute)
1/2 teaspoon rice wine vinegar

What do you think??

piratexsmile
01-16-2008, 02:43 PM
Nevermind.... I just answered myself by actually looking at the recipe section before I get ahead of myself! Sorry!!

little chick
01-16-2008, 02:53 PM
I done that myself. But I would say they were fine, and they sound yummy.

jillybean720
01-16-2008, 03:04 PM
I love their wraps, too. I haven't checked the recipe section for them to see the recipe there, but the only thing I would be cautious of from your recipe here is that the Splenda brand brown sugar is only half Splenda--it still has half actual sugar.

piratexsmile
01-16-2008, 05:11 PM
Good to know, Jill! Thank you!

Barb0522
01-16-2008, 05:17 PM
You can use the Sugar Twin Brown Sugar or make your own with Splenda and sugarfree maple syrup. I think the recipe might be in the recipe forum. I know I have seen in somewhere. I normally either use the Sugar Twin one or else the Splenda Brown Sugar but during phase 1 you would want to be careful.

Schmoodle
01-16-2008, 07:29 PM
But you are doing the right thing, piratexsmile, trying to figure out how to adapt your faves to SBD. It will serve you well in the long run and help keep you on plan. There are very few things I haven't figured out a way to still be able to have in my diet if I want them.

kaplods
01-16-2008, 07:33 PM
Brown sugar flavoring is also available. I don't know how easy it is to find, but I saw it offered on Spices, Etc website, and I think I might order some.