LA Weight Loss - Flat Belly Diet...Tried it?

View Full Version : Flat Belly Diet...Tried it?

Sugarchan
01-16-2008, 08:19 AM
I hate buying diet books...hate it. Because then it feels like I'm supposed to be committing to a diet, and I don't WANNA diet. But I do want to eat better, and sometimes eating plans, i.e. diets help...arg.

I've been seeing a lot of things on the Flat Belly Diet, where they rely a lot on Monounsaturated Fatty Acids...essentially, they say eat them with every meal, in moderation, and keep your calories low...do I REALLY need to shell out money for the book when they basically say it right there? Anybody done it, and can let me know if its worth a trip to Borders?

aleka
01-19-2008, 07:55 AM
I believe you can only get the book on the Flat Belly Diet website or thru Prevention. I have ordered the book and am waiting for it to come. In the meantime I joined online. Before you start the actual diet there is a 4 day jump start program where your eating is more rigid. I am starting the diet Monday. I joined online so that I can start the 4 day jump start program right away. If you don't want to buy the book, incorporate the oils and food on the list into the plan you are on and see how it goes. The website is Flat Belly Diet with the usual befores & afters. Good luck!

cbmare
01-28-2008, 05:42 PM
http://health.msn.com/nutrition/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100188436&GT1=10815

Here's an article on it. I just can't believe that it works. No exercise?

CatR
01-28-2008, 06:10 PM
I have been adding some type of MUFA (usually olive oil, nuts or olives) to each of my meals for the past week. I have been eating around 1600 calories a day with my own food choices. I have lost 1 1/2 pounds (I am 5'3" and started at 135.5 pounds). I took my belly measurement and it hasn't changed.

However, what has happened is that I have been able to drop my carbs down to 180 gms. I haven't been able to do that before because I would get too washed out to exercise. It seemed beneficial to lower my carb intake since I have an apple-shaped body and know I have some carb sensitivity. Also, the higher fat intake (around 33-35%) seems to have helped stabilize my blood sugar and it has been easier to follow my eating plan.

I have been having an ounce of nuts a day for the past year, which may account for my belly not getting flattened in 4 days as the Prevention Mag cover promises. Your starting weight and usual food preferences probably will affect how dramatically your body changes. It seems to be a good diet plan.

carolr3639
01-28-2008, 06:13 PM
I'd like to read the book, too, as the Prevention article isn't very long. They used to let you examine it for 21 days without paying but I can't find anything like that now.

KateB
02-09-2008, 06:03 PM
I started on January 21st. As of February 7th I have lost 13 pounds. I am exercising too though. I have also lost 3" off my waist. I ordered the book and then got 3 months of the online version for free. The book came when I was into my second and I haven't read much of it as the online version is very helpful. The website is new and still has a few bugs, but over all not bad. What I like about it is it gives you meals for each day and shopping lists, so a lot of the planning is done for you. Also I can see myself eating this way for a lifetime....and isn't that what tis is all about??

Bobbolink
02-10-2008, 09:25 PM
How many people are actually on the FBD? Is there enough to start a regular thread? Let me know if anyone is interested.

Bobbi

KateB
02-11-2008, 11:24 AM
Bobbi-
I would be interested!!!

notwhoioncewas
02-11-2008, 11:48 AM
I just started today, in fact! I would love the support and encouragement!

I'm doing the 4 day jump start and am interested to see how that goes. So far - so good!

KateB
02-11-2008, 01:52 PM
Jeannie-

The jumpstart went well for me!! I choose a lunch meal that was satisfying to me and easy to pack and ate that all 4 days. It just made things easier. However, I did get a little bored with it by day 3. That was totally my fault. Once you get to the regular FBD plan it is awesome. I started January 21st and have lost 13 pounds. GOOD LUCK!!!!

Steelslady
02-11-2008, 02:17 PM
Any hints as to what you eat besides one of the five foods that help bust belly fat with eat meal? Is it just calorie counting with those five foods included or a diet that you must follow to a T in order for it to work?

I am interested in trying this. I had some olive oil with lunch and chocolate with my breakfast. :)

Bobbolink
02-11-2008, 04:07 PM
I'll get some general info together for an opening and start a regular Thread today if I have time, otherwise tomorrow.

Bobbi

pattygirl63
02-11-2008, 04:49 PM
I will definitely be interested in this new thread. I tried to join on line and couldn't get it to take my info and gave up after several tries. I guess they were having trouble with their website at the time. I have so many diet books now that I really didn't want to buy another book until I knew it was worth buying. DH is tired of me purchasing them although he would be for it if it works. I ended up joining a different kind of diet site for 2 mos and 1 month free which now I wish I hadn't joined. Anyway, since I take Prevention Magazine I just added the MUFI foods to my meals but I have just added that to my way of eating. Of course, I didn't have the jumpstart and don't really now how much to eat of the MUFI foods or when.

Bobbolink
02-12-2008, 04:05 PM
I posted a question about anyone interested in FBD under Support Groups; Miscellaneous Clubs/new groups. Check it out there.

Bobbi

Suzanne 3FC
02-12-2008, 10:52 PM
I haven't seen any specifics. Is this diet vegetarian friendly?

Bobbolink
02-13-2008, 08:19 AM
Suzanne, yes it is. The vegetarians substitute tofu and other soy products for the meat. The book has recipes for Boca Tacos, Broccoli and Tofu Stir-Fry with almonds, etc. Anyone can click into the Prevention site to see what it's all about or you can google Flat Belly Diet. Good Morning America had a segment on it, that's pretty interesting if you can check back on the segment. I'm not sure what day they ran it, sometime in the beginning of January.

Bobbolink
02-13-2008, 08:44 AM
New Thread started:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134242

shrl
02-15-2008, 07:36 AM
I am on the flat belly diet, I love it, but it is to soon to tell if I have lost any weight, but I don't get as hungry and my blood sugar is getting normal.
Shrl1

Bobbolink
02-15-2008, 08:41 AM
Phylis and I wanted to start a regular Flat Belly Thread but there is not enough interest yet in the diet. It's very new and might take awhile to catch on. Glad to hear you started on the plan, I've lost 11 pounds on it and love the MUFA's. I use mine mostly in nuts) Mornings I eat Fiber One dry (about 5am) then around 8am I eat a regular breakfast. One of my favorites is a Flat Out toasted in the oven, then topped with sugar free applesauce, cinnamon, Splenda and Walnuts. The fiber one gives me 14 gram of fiber and the flat out gives me another 9 grams for a total of 23 grams just for breakfast.
Did you see the winning Chocolate Valentine's recipe on the Prevention site for oatmeal?
Double Chocolate Chip Oatmeal
1/2 c dry old fastioned oats (150 cal)
3/4 c water
1/4 c chocolate chips, divided, half semi-sweet and half dark chocolate chips (207 cal MUFA) I personally cut this to 1/8 cup total, 1 Tbls semi-sweet and 1 Tbls dark for 104 cal)
1/4 tsp vanilla
1/8 tsp of black pepper (This is a must in the recipe)
Directions:
In a sauce pan over high heat, bring the water to a boil. Add the oats, stir once to moisten all oats, then cook, stirring occasionally until water is absorbed (about 3-4 min). Remove pan from heat, add the semi-sweet chocolate chips,seasonings into the oatmeal. Spoon mixture into bowl. Sprinkly remaining dark chocolate chips over top while still warm. Serves 1
Good luck on the Flat Belly Diet, I lost 6 pounds on the 4 day jump start.
Bobbi

pattygirl63
02-15-2008, 05:57 PM
Thanks Bobbi for sharing this. I wanted to join the Prevention site, but I couldn't get it to work and I don 't want to buy another diet book. I just purchased an exercise tape and materials from Richard Simmons so I felt spending the money for both was too much. I am using RS materials counting calories and incorporating the MUFA's. I take Prevention Magazine and saw the diet there. One of the things I am encouraged about is the fact that there is a diet program that works for those of us Golden Girl years. I am 64 and I have wondered if there was anything out there that really does work for us.

Trish

LaDean
02-16-2008, 02:55 AM
Hi did you close the thread. i hate to buy another book. what are some things you eat on this plan? it sounds interesting. my weight is in the belly area. thanks LaDean

Bobbolink
02-16-2008, 08:55 AM
LaDean, google Prevention magazine and read the article. They can explain it much better than I can. You can also google the "Flat Belly Diet" or check the archives of Good Morning America. They had a segment on it.
http://forums.prevention.com/groupee_common/platform_images/blank.gif (http://forums.prevention.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3741004491/m/3501035924?r=3501035924#3501035924)This Tuesday, Prevention's Editor-in-Chief, Liz Vaccariello, and Nutrition Director, Cynthia Sass, RD, share the Flat Belly Diet with Rachael Ray and her studio audience.

The plan features MUFA, which is all the good oils and nuts. They help burn fat! The first 4 days you have to follow the jumpstart plan where you can drastically lose inches (belly fat) in 4 days. I lost 6 pounds, this varies. Some people didn't lose that much because of cheating. After the 4 days are up, you start on the 28 day plan, include some form of MUFA in all three meals. Please check google some of the sites from above.
Bobbi

carlskl
02-16-2008, 10:15 AM
I was just reading information on this diet. Waiting to hear how it goes first!

Bobbolink
02-16-2008, 10:44 AM
Check out Rachael Ray next Tuesday the 19th, more information on it.
I've lost 12 pounds on this plan.

Bobbi

carolr3639
02-16-2008, 12:45 PM
You can examine the book free for 21 days. Look at the Prevention website.

pattygirl63
02-16-2008, 12:55 PM
Bobbi, thanks again for sharing your experience with us. I've been doing some of this and finally learning to do it correctly for just a few days and as of this morning, I am down 3 lbs. I am so excited about it.

I enjoyed your recipe for the oatmeal this morning. I used dark choc only because that is all I had. I have used extra virgin olive oil to get the good fats in it as well. I appreciate the thread. I'll be looking forward to Rachel Rae's show Tues.

Trish

LaDean
02-17-2008, 12:46 AM
bobbolink, thanks so much for your info. i checked out the site and interesting. so i am giving it a try.. it sounds good. glad its worked for you so well and others here. glad this board is on it. have a good week. LaDean

carolr3639
02-17-2008, 12:48 AM
La Dean, did you have to pay for the information?

pattygirl63
02-17-2008, 01:23 PM
This is my WI day and although I only correctly incorporated the FBD way of eating 100% to my IE calorie counting, I decided to check my measurements. I had measured 2 weeks ago. Last week I WI at 225.5 and today I WI a 221 and my waist was down half inch. That is with doing the FBD 100% for only about 3 days. So I am excited to see how it works in the long run. I have lost a lot of weight over the years and even got within 25 lbs of my normal healthy weight a couple of times, but I never was able to have a flat stomach. That is something I have always longed for. Maybe this time I will have it. Who knows maybe in my Goldern years I can once again have those "perfect" measurements (as they called them in the 50's and 60's) that I had way back then. Wouldn't that be something? Oh Well. One can dream... and try. (sigh) LOL

Trish

LaDean
02-17-2008, 08:00 PM
Hi carol, no never had to pay just read what the site had about the 5 foods to eat. very interesting i thought. so this week going for it. you girls are doing so good and i am glad. have a good week to all. LaDean

KateB
02-22-2008, 02:58 PM
I am not sure if this is the right place to post or not. I get a little confused on where I find posts on this site...but I am getting better.

I have been on The FBD for 30 days. I started January 21 as of yesterday February 21, I have lost 19.8 pounds.

I Love the plan. I do not follow it to a T. I am working with a dietician and she has given the plan her blessing, with a few modifications. She wants to see my meals around 450-500 calories rather than 400. She would like me to have a mid evening snack of about 200-300 calories. Basically she has just had me increase serving sizes of some things. I "look over" the recipes for the day/week and decide if I want to use them, but I also have a few "stand by's" I found that I tend to make frequently. I need to be able to walk into my kitchen and make a meal that I know is on plan with out having to look up a menu plan every meal if I want these changes to become my new way of life. I do incorperate a MUFA with every meal/snack.

I have also been exercising. At LEAST 5 days a week I do an hour on the treadmill or bike (or 30 minutes on each) and strength training.

I love the plan and how I feel since starting. I really think it is a change I can make for life. I would recommend it to anyone!!

Bev
02-22-2008, 07:12 PM
I am trying to include some MUFa into each meal. I am thinking about either purchasing the book or using online. Are you using any of these?

KateB
02-23-2008, 10:03 AM
I purchased the book....but got started online. After I had been online for about 12 days the book arrived. I have only skimmed some of it. Right now I am not sure if I am going to keep my online subscription when the free trial runs out or not. Online has meal plans for each day and you can print a shooping list...although they could streamline their list a little better. I have a few "go to" meals that I really like, but some days I just scan the food plan for that week looking for some new ideas.

Bev
02-23-2008, 12:10 PM
Are there any forums on the website? It does not seem like many people here on this this plan and I like bouncing ideas off of other people especially since I have trouble sticking to one plan. Are you finding the book to be important for this plan?

Sorry for all the question

Bev

KateB
02-24-2008, 05:45 PM
There are forums on the website. It is not as active at the 3FC forums though.

Bobbolink
02-25-2008, 08:26 AM
KateB...I have to agree with you about the online Flat Belly site. I started there too, eventually received the book. I sent the book back because the online was so helpful. I don't plan on renewing my membership after the trial period runs out. I know the plan well enough to do it on my own, but I do like to be accountable to someone. I'm going to stick with the 3FC's site and see if we can build up the thread here. Bev, I would suggest one or the other, join the online and forget the book or just buy the book and work with us here. If they are still offering the online trial for free, that's a great way to learn the plan plus all your questions are answered. (Eventually). Good Luck!
Bobbi

LaDean
02-26-2008, 02:28 AM
hi i am also interested in it. what is the jump start like? LaDean

KateB
02-26-2008, 11:34 AM
The Jumpstart wasn't bad....kinda bland in order to reduce bloating. I was glad it didn't last more than 4 days. There is a water "recipe". Water with mint cucumber ginger and lemon in it. I know ginger is to calm the digestive system, cucumber helps eliminate bloat so does lemon, I think the mint was just to improve taste. You make pitcher each day and drink it throughout the day, I thinkit was about 2 litres.

I think I lost 4.5 pounds on the jumpstart. They say no salt, no pepper, limited spices during those 4 day. It is fairly easy to stick to, after all it is only 4 days!! Once the Jumpstart is done, it is awesome!!!

Bev
02-26-2008, 04:04 PM
Is the eatting plan easy to stick to ?

Bev
02-26-2008, 05:11 PM
Ok, I just joined the site. I am hoping this will really work for me.

Bev
02-26-2008, 06:15 PM
How do you ladies feel about posting what you are eatting? I am just wondering what everyone is eatting for dinner. I am ncmom2 on FBD.

Bev

Happy Grandma
02-26-2008, 08:20 PM
I sent my husband to the store to buy the foods listed for the 4 day jump start. He brought back sunflower nuts. These nuts do not have the shell on them. Does anyone know if this what we are to use? The calorie count for 1/4 cup is 200 which seems high as Day 1 for breakfast you are to eat 1/2 cup. Are the nuts supposed to be in the shell when the portion is measured and you have to crack them open and then eat them. Anyone who has been through please help.

carolr3639
02-26-2008, 08:44 PM
I think the 1/2 cup is a misprint because all the other days it says 1/4 cup. And I think it means out of the shell.

Bobbolink
02-27-2008, 05:28 AM
Hi Gals, it's a misprint, go for 2 Tbsl.

LaDean
02-28-2008, 02:49 AM
Hi, thanks so very much for the jumpstart. yes i think it would be fun for ones to share so gives us an idea of what to eat. do you just eat what you want and add these 5 food things??? that is what i am doing. good luck to all. thanks again LaDean

pattygirl63
02-28-2008, 11:36 AM
Thank you so much for sharing about the 4 day jumpstart. I tried to join the group on line although I had no desire to buy another diet book at this time. I couldn't get the site to work in order to join for some reason. I even tried to email the website and for some reason it doesn't work. It says I need to register, then when I try to register it shows I am registered which I must be because I receive emails from Prevention all the time. I even emailed them on something they sent me and I never have heard from them. I tried to get them to send me my "password" and they say I'm not registered. So I finally just gave up. Since I couldn't get the 4 day jumpstart info without joining, I've been addong mufa's with each meal and snacks in hopes it will work for me any way. I figured I'd do the best I can and when the book finally comes to the bookstore, I'll purchase one then. Now that I read this thread I will purchase the things I need to drink the water and do the jumpstart when I go to the store tomorrow. Are there any special foods to add or not eat during these 4 days? thanks for your help.

pattygirl63
02-28-2008, 02:11 PM
After I wrote last I went back and tried once again. Got things straightened out and joined FBD for three months. Receipt didn't say anything about the book so don't know if I'm getting it or not. Really don't think I'll need it. I'm going to the store tomorrow and I'll get the things for the Sassy water and 4 day jumpstart. I am really excited about this because of the ones of you who are around my age losing so well on it.:carrot: Is this going to be the 3FC official site for the FBD or the other one we write on. Just wondering as I am definitely in.:)

Bev
02-29-2008, 08:21 PM
So how did your first day go? I am on day 2 the only problem I have is the limited menu.

pattygirl63
03-01-2008, 12:56 AM
Actually, Saturday is Day 1 for me. I did make the drink tonight for tomorrow and then I made a small one to drink tonight (still Friday for me). Did you join the webiste or are you getting info you can from some of us who did. I will be glad to share as much as I can even with PM if need be.

Day 2 for you? How are doing with it and how do you feel?

Trish

pattygirl63
03-02-2008, 12:33 PM
Finished Day 1 JS yesterday and I was wiped out. DH is a night owl so I usually try to stay up with him and go to bed around 2 am. I went to bed at 11 pm and got up around 10 am this morning. I told him before I went to bed that I wasn't going to be able to go to church this morning. The only thing I really miss right now is my oatmeal and will be glad when I can have it on Day 5. The great thing is that I decided that I just had to see out of curiosity and I was down 2.5 lbs and lost 1" around my waist already. That is exciting for me to see that in one day on a diet. I am excited to see how this goes for me as I don't usually lose that easy. I did experience a headache off and on during the day because of no coffee rule. I hope Day 2 will be nicer to me. I will still not drink the coffee, but will have my green tea.

Bev, I think you are on Day 3. Right? How are you? I would love to hear how things are going for you and how you are feeling. I seem to feel tired at times and really feel weak just about the time I need to eat again. Once I eat, I feel energized again. I will start exercises tomorrow so maybe that will help me to feel better. We'll see.

Trish

jansusan
08-17-2008, 01:03 PM
Is anyone still on this and is it working for you? Cant find the jumpstart anywhere. Can someone send it to me? Have brought the nuts, oil, avocados,???? Thanks, Jan

aphil
08-19-2008, 09:24 AM
Ladies-I am going to close this thread, because there are currently 3 different threads going on about the Flat Belly Diet, and it would be much less confusing to have everyone posting in the same place.

Here is the link to the general Flat Belly chat thread:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134242