South Beach Diet - Wednesday's Chick Chat

View Full Version : Wednesday's Chick Chat

cottagebythesea
01-16-2008, 06:22 AM
I'm a little late getting in here, I got the urge to clean my bathroom right after I showered. What's with that? :dizzy: Anyway, I have a sparkly clean bathroom to start the day with!

The sun is supposed to shine today, after snowing all day yesterday. Funny, though, we only got a light covering and at times it came down like a blizzard! Maggie had a friend over, and they had fun scooping off the snow from surfaces to try to make snowballs.
I have an appointment with Melinda for a cut and color this morning, then an afternoon of running here and there for the girls. I do enjoy my hour to myself while they're at ballet lessons, though. That's when I treat myself to a nice latte from Dunkin Donuts and sit in my car and read a magazine. It's a nice break to look forward to in the middle of the day. :)
I've successfully finished Phase 1 and am eagerly anticipating my oatmeal for breakfast in a bit! I think I'll have Baked Oatmeal with some caramel sf syrup! :drool:

Ruthxxx
01-16-2008, 06:23 AM
Happy Wednesday! Have a cup of coffee or tea and chat a bit before you start your day - or end it in Kara's case!

Yesterday was a long and hard day but today will be better. Hersh and I do pet therapy at noon and that'll be "it" aside from a post office and library trip. I do plan a bit of cooking for my freezer stash and have to correct an error on a quilt project but that's all fun stuff.

What's happening around your beach towel?

tomandkara
01-16-2008, 06:30 AM
Ah! Whose thread do I answer???

Sorry to hear your day was crazy yesterday, Ruth! Hope today is calmer.

Kara

tomandkara
01-16-2008, 06:34 AM
Good morning to you, too, Linda! Looks like you and Ruth were both on the ball this morning. I love sparkly clean bathrooms! Everything feels so fresh and tidy when your bathroom is clean.

Tom got a burst of energy today and starting clearing out the back room. We leave three weeks from today (:woohoo:) so he's starting to get in Moving Mode.

Avery's done on the potty so I must go attend to her. I'll check in again later!

Kara

cottagebythesea
01-16-2008, 06:37 AM
Good morning Ruth and Kara!

Ruth, thanks for merging us, I was trying to but I just switched to Firefox and it's not letting me do it! I was going to put your thread first, BTW! LOL!

Kara, when that happens, you can post under whichever thread you want and we'll merge the threads. Your post will show up, either way.

THINBYJUNE
01-16-2008, 07:24 AM
Good morning everyone. :coffee:

Cottage Enjoy your magazine an latte today.

Ruth Enjoy your quilting and errands today.

Kara 3 weeks and a new continent how exciting. How does it work when you move? Do you get to spend some time at home or just a quick stop by. I was just wondering because your stuff lives on my coast and your family lives on the other and I was hoping you got plenty of time in between to do it all.

Me Nothing new to report here. I'm hoping today goes more quickly then yesterday and my boss is less irritating today. I reaaly like my boss but for some reason he is driving me crazy :dizzy: this week. Have a great day everyone.

CyndiM
01-16-2008, 07:48 AM
Morning all!

Cottage - a sparkly clean bathroom is a great way to start the day! Enjoy that latte :)

Ruth - Enjoy your fun day!

Kara - You sound very calm for a woman moving in three weeks! I guess you have to get used to making those changes. Hope your calm remains :)

Dawn :wave:

It will be a fun work day today. Somehow after we switched newsletter editors I started taking photos and the powers that be decided I should keep doing that if I have time. It's so much fun - can't believe I get to do that as part of my job. Last issue our cover had photos from an infant program. I got to spend 2 hours playing with babies to get the photos :) Tough job! After taking pictures I'm getting my hair cut and then coming back home to work here for a few hours. It's days like this that keep me in my job. I love the flexibility!

My scale and I are not on speaking terms right now. I have been losing bits of the same pound for 10 days and am very frustrated. I hope things shift soon. Just to cheer myself up I went out and bought 6 pairs of pants in my new size :) I had reached the no clothes fit phase again so it was time. I'm down to a size 12 from a very tight 18. Can't imagine I will go any lower, just a different fit. My body isn't ever going to be that small. My other body frustration kicking in is that many size 12 pants have legs that are too narrow for my fluid filled knees. Aging is a drag. Ah well, so it goes.

Have a good day all!

GONNABE165
01-16-2008, 08:37 AM
Good morning all those already up and at it as well as those to come.

I have been trying to work and fight the fatigue but yesturday was the worst I ran a fever of 103 and my body started turning red & splotchy and the medicine my doc called in to the pharamacy is so new that no one in our area had it so it was being overnited from down south - crazy.

Have a great and OP day!

cottagebythesea
01-16-2008, 08:46 AM
My goodness, GONNA, that sounds pretty scary! Are you sure you shouldn't just go to the ER or see your doctor in person? I do hope they get to the bottom of your illness and discover what's causing your distress. Feel better soon! :hug:

Pacergal29
01-16-2008, 08:54 AM
Good Morning Ladies! It is getting cold again and they are talking snow tonight.

Cottage Enjoy your hour to yourself, there is nothing better!

Ruth Enjoy your calmer day!

Kara Oh I do feel for you, moving again! After our marathon move of the other office saturday I don't want to see another box for awhile!

Dawn Hope your boss is better today. I can sense by the tone in my bosses voice today I may be in for a rough day.

Cyndi I am sure you are due for a "whoosh" here anytime! How great is it though to have to go buy new clothes cause nothing fits!

Gonna Sure hope you get to feeling better soon!

Me Looks like January is going to be a stellar month for us! In a time when the mortgage market is so tough it is good to see us prosper and know it is because we only do "good" loans and none of that crud that has caused this meltdown. As a result we are growing as others close their doors. It's a frustrating job many days but rewarding none the less. I am looking to wrap up 2 more today and have 3 "very close"!

OK enough carrying on about my job. I managed to keep that little devil on my shoulder in check yesterday, so here is to yet another! Have a great day ladies and I will check back later.

weezle
01-16-2008, 09:01 AM
No time for personals. Just saying hi real quick! Gotta get ready for work! Hope all you girls have a great day!!!

Lisa

little chick
01-16-2008, 09:15 AM
just a quick hello this morning a ton of things to do.... ph 1 is done and I am done only 1 more pound that is 7 in total..... wish it was a little more. I will update my ticker later when I have a chance. Well gotta to run I will check back in a quiet time. Have a great morning chicks.

Schmoodle
01-16-2008, 09:31 AM
good hump day morning, chicks.
Today I start bowflexing with my friend. I will go over there at noon, and hopefully she will tell me what to do. I also reserved a couple of the Walk Away the Pounds DVDs at the library. Time to get serious about the New Year's Resolutions (thanks, Kara!). DD was home sick yesterday and wasn't acting herself this morning either. She is NEVER sick, and has been complaining about tiredness, so I think I'd better get her checked for mono. My niece had it over Thanksgiving but we didn't know it yet. My friend wants to go hit the Old Navy clearance sale this afternoon, but I may try to put her off until Friday afternoon. Poor DH, 7 days and counting until his departure, and in the meantime the refrigerator is acting up again, the vacuum broke, and the check engine light came on in the car. So he is trying to get everything fixed in addition to all the medical stuff and paperwork he has to deal with. He's a little stressed.

Bathrooms are on my cleaning list today, cottage! We run ubuntu and firefox and love it - no virus problems. for the most part there is no noticeable difference, except it works great. Enjoy the oatmeal.
Ruth, hope you have a mostly fun day.
Kara, happy packing!
Dawn, hope your boss behaves today.
Cindy and Stephanie, have a great day!
Gonnabe, sounds like you are miserable. :hug: What have you got?
weezle, always good to have you drop in and say hi!
littlechick, 7 lbs. is great for Ph1, especially a Ph1 repeat!

tomandkara
01-16-2008, 09:51 AM
Schmoo, good luck with the Bowflex! You're going to love the Walk Away the Pounds DVDs. I'm going to get some more with the Christmas money I received.

LC, :wave: Congrats on your extra pound!!!

Glad you had a sec to pop in, Lisa! Did your meeting yesterday go well?

Stephanie, it's so nice to hear that your month should turn out well! Makes all the stress worth it.

Gonna, I hope you feel better quickly! :hug:

Cyndi, you are going to be a fashion model in your new duds! Have fun strutting around!

Dawn, this move is a funny one. The kids and I will just pack regular day-to-day stuff, as we're headed back to spend a month with the family on the east coast before Tom joins us in March (spending a couple days supervising the packing up of our storage unit in California en route). He is allotted ten days between Korea and Germany, and they'll pay for him to fly home (luckily for them, it's on the way anyhow since they won't fly us over Russia) since he has consecutive overseas tours. He'll probably end up with about a week in Jersey and then we'll fly over to Germany together. Every base has a hotel on it, and we'll either stay there or in the temporary lodging (think house set up with hotel furniture) for about a month until we can find a place to call home. We're hoping to buy a house, as we plan to be stationed in Germany until Tom retires in 2013 and maybe stay in a contracting position after that. Our stuff will probably arrive after taking a leisurely two month cruise halfway around the world! Until we get it all, we'll be able to borrow a fridge, washer/dryer, bedroom furniture, etc. from base. This move will be weird for us because it'll be the first one where we won't have packed ourselves. In the military you can choose to either move yourselves and they'll pay you a percentage of what they would've paid a moving company, or you can just have the movers pack you out and transport your stuff. Obviously, moving across oceans, we have to have them do this one for us! :D

Off to hang the laundry and hit the sack!

Kara

beachgal
01-16-2008, 10:42 AM
Ooh, Cottage, that oatmeal sounds divine! :drool: We got a lot of snow too, but most of it melted, so there's very little on the ground this morning. Odd snowfall, eh? Funny about your bathroom cleaning...I usually don't want to clean the bathroom if I've just cleaned me...seems counter-intuitive (or maybe it's a handy excuse to be lazy? ;) ). I need to clean ours desperately but it's being used as a place to syringe feed our bunny and so it's only going to get messier. I'm waiting until the syringe feeding is over and hoping that it's soon!

Ruth, I'm sorry you had a hard day yesterday. :hug: Today sounds fun, though!

Kara, are you guys moving back home? For good??? That would be SO cool!!! :hug:

Wish I could get to everyone, but a class is about to come in for an intro to the writing center and I have to get ready! Hope you all have a great day! :sunny:

tkglenn
01-16-2008, 11:02 AM
Can I join in with you guys? I'm kind of new, been here about a week and I love it. Nothing much going on with me. Can't go walking today, it's rainy and alittle cold and my daughter is sick. She was throwing up last night and was really whiny this morning when she woke up. She actually fell asleep on the livingroom floor this morning watching baby einstein. She's almost 2 and it is impossible for her to lay down without moving for more than 3 seconds. My oldest has been quite tired also. He never ever gets sick, he's got the strongest immune system in the family, being that he was the only child who was born at full term. My hubby is getting sick too. He always gets sick when he starts a new job---go figure. My bathroom needs a clean up too, so does the rest of my house. I always say I'm gonna do it today. along with everything else then I get stuck on the computer and don't wanna get off. But I am down another 2 pounds. I have lost a total of 8 so far. I am soooo ecstatic. I have 42 more to go. whoo hooo.

Cottage-enjoy your latte and time to yourself. I wish I could.
Kara-are you guys in the military? if so, what branch? my hubby used to be in the marines so I know what it's like to be moving all the time. I tell my dad that I"m so used to it that if I was told I had to pack my house up by tomorrow, I'd have it done in 3 hours. Good luck to you.

Gotta get going. My 5 month old is crying now. Everyone have a good day today. Keep warm and safe.

Kim_Star060404
01-16-2008, 11:12 AM
Weeping Wednesday it is for me, girls. I decided last night that I will not be able to make it to San Antonio for the celebration of Robert's life on Thursday. I'll explain more below.

Cottage: Thanks for starting us up. I'm hoping for some of that snow, not just for the prettiness of it, but because we're dryer than usual out here. Hope your cut and color go well. One of these days I'll refrain from cutting my own hair and have a real stylist do it!! Have a great day in all that sunshine.

Ruth: Thank you for starting us up as well! I've been eyeing a new sewing machine and I think that's what I'll be wanting for my birthday present. Hope the quilt repair goes well and that you have a nice day.

Kara: My goodness! :yikes: That sounds like quite a lot to coordinate! I hope it will all go smoothly. It's really nice that you and the kids get to spend so much time with your family before moving on.

Dawn: I'm the same way with my boss. Don't tell him, but it's almost like he PMS's once a month. No joke! Pretty much the same week every month, I get out of the office as much as possible. I hope your boss' annoying-ness has worn off!

Cyndi: Going from a size 18 to a 12 is great! WTG! You're doing awesome! I'm trying to break up with my scale right now. I know I'm too dependent on it. I know my body is changing and that is what matters right now. Ultimately, I would love to just chunk the scale and go weigh myself when I'm happy with my physique. I think I'm a little too addicted, though! Your photography gig sounds like a lot of fun! What are you taking pics of today?

Gonna: That sounds awful! :hug: I hope the medicine gets to you soon! Keep us informed.

Stephane: That's great that your office is doing so well! When we took out our mortgage, some of the offers we were given were ridiculous! (Like 5 years at a low interest rate with a balloon payment of the full balance due after that! WHAT?!) Well, we're sticklers, so we got a good one anyhow. It's nice to see some businesses stayed committed to fair financing while everyone around them really seemed to take advantage of people. Keep it up! :D

:wave: Lisa and LC!

Schmoodle: Poor DD - hope you find out what's going on soon! And I probably missed it, but where is DH off to? It sounds like it's going to be a long trip. Hope he gets all his things taken care of without too much stressing-poor guy. Have fun Bowflexing! I love the WATP Dvd's! Leslie Sansone is a great motivator. I can really tell what a great workout I'm getting from her Dvd's!

Laurie: Syringe feeding a bunny? You have some patience! I'm the same way about cleaning the bathroom. My favorite time to clean it is after a good workout because right after I clean it, I'm the first one to enjoy the sparkly shower!

Me: Well, orientation was quite a drag. I made several suggestions about it being very impractical for transfer/non-traditional students on the end-of orientation survey. It was a lot of stuff like, "If you're a minor, don't drink." and "Make sure you go to bed at a reasonable hour." and "Your parents aren't here to make sure you pass." It just went on and on. Meanwhile, I wanted to ask if my time there would go towards my mortgage payment. I think not. Anywho, as soon as I left there, I came home to check what is called the "Blackboard". It's a place for profs to post supplemental course info. Well, come to find out, I have homework due in two classes already!! I have to turn it in on the first class day. Apparently this is the norm, but I just wasn't used to it. So, I have statistics homework due tomorrow at 8 am and a power point presentation for Technology in the Classroom due next Tuesday. That is part of why I won't be heading down to SA for the funeral. At work, we're off today because a County Commissioner passed away, so all county offices closed in honor of him. It is a nice gesture, but puts me way behind schedule, so I cannot miss work tomorrow and Friday and may be putting in a few hours Saturday. All in all, this has been beyond a stressful, sad, upsetting, horrendous week and I just want it to be over! (Sorry to be so long-winded and angry - really needed to vent!) :o

~Kim

Kim_Star060404
01-16-2008, 11:19 AM
:welcome3:tkglenn: We were apparently simul-posting, but only because I'm so long-winded. This is a great place to be! Everyone here is so supportive and wonderful! Congrats on being down 8 lbs! That's great!

Some of us here (well, myself, Kara and now Schmoodle) do Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds DVD's. They're really great. I can almost never walk outside because we have a real stray-dog problem out here and sometimes I'm walking pre-sun-up or post-sun-down. I can walk 4 miles in 45 minutes in my living room and love it! I'm assuming you probably enjoy walking outside and live in a dog-free zone, so maybe you could check them out for backup on days like today. You can usually get them at the library or netflix has them available. Basic shopping stores sell them as well (Wal-Mart, Target, etc.) Just a suggestion that may make days like today easier when it comes to working out!

So sorry your little ones aren't feeling well. I hope they get better soon! :hug:

~Kim

tomandkara
01-16-2008, 11:33 AM
Laurie, we're making a quick stop in the States and then heading off to Tom's next assignment...GERMANY! We're really super excited!

TK, sorry to hear about the sick kiddos! My one and a half year old has a nasty cough and my three year old just got over it, so we've been fighting The Bug as well. It always breaks my heart to see them suffering! :(

Kim, :hug: for you! You've been having a rough go of it recently. Glad you made it through the orientation, and I'm holding out tons of hope for you getting your work and homework finished in a timely manner. They can't expect too much from you, not having even BEEN to class yet!

'Night all!

Kara

PHinsUP!
01-16-2008, 11:39 AM
I've started my day off fairly quiet...I've eaten my breakfast (western omelet) and some nice hot chai tea with ff 1/2 & 1/2 . it's still a little chilly here in North Alabama...(I don't really like the cold too much) So I'm sitting here with a warm down blanket thrown over my shoulders. I had a good day one yesterday, no issues to speak of. My husband seems to be on board this time, really encouraging me all the way.
I think the only disappointment I had yesterday was that for some weird reason, my tivo didn't record American Idol! and I missed it!!! ARGH!
Sounds like the snow up in the NE was pretty, I really hope we get at least one snow day this year!! If it's going to be cold, I might as well enjoy it! Here, even if it's is just threatening to snow they shut down everything, LOL
I've never actually been snowed in, but I have been iced in before!
I need to find me some really good soup recipes for phase 1...what are the best ones. I can't eat salads everyday! I need something hot and comforting sometimes!
Hope everyone has a great day!!
ttyl, Tina

Bauhaus Betty
01-16-2008, 12:00 PM
Hey all--it's "Back Again Betty!"

I turned 30 yesterday, and after all the celebrating I've been doing lately, it's time to get back on the wagon before my pants no longer fit! :o

Please send willpower dust my way!

waquilter
01-16-2008, 01:37 PM
Morning all - I just joined this site and really enjoy all the posts i read (and all the inspiration I get from them). I would like to share a great soup recipe from the SB quick and Easy cookbook - I'll try to type it in the PH1 recipes. Mexican chicken soup - quick to make & really tasty.

Schmoodle
01-16-2008, 01:46 PM
Hi Betty, great to see you back! Happy Birthday late.:bday2you:
I'll look for the recipe waquilter, and hope you keep them coming!
Tina, I love the refried bean soup that weezle posted in the recipes, as well as the stuffed pepper soup. I posted a roasted red pepper soup that is one of my favorites. The taco soup, broccoli cheese soup, mmmm These are all in the Recipes section, and some are very quick and easy. Soup is one of my favorite things in the winter. Lots of weekends, I make up a big pot of beef veggie soup to get me through the week - great for quick lunches and snacks. Once DH is gone, I'll probably make a big pot of soup every weekend and live on it all week.
Kim, he is going to sea for 4 mos. We thought the ship was headed for Diego Garcia, but he's getting word that it might be the Persian Gulf.:( I'm sorry you can't be with your friends for the funeral. I'm sure that would help with your grieving. I'm glad you feel like you can come here to vent.

browneyedgirl77
01-16-2008, 02:36 PM
Hey everyone,
Kim- I'm sorry for your lost and wish you could have gone home to celebrate your friend's life.:hug: I totally agree with you on the orientation. I mean if you aren't fresh out of high school I see no point.
:welcome: to the beach TkGlenn and Waquilter.
Schmoodle- It totally sucks when your DH has to leave. I can't wait until mines gets back home.
Kara- I totally hear you on the whole packing thing. They gave DH a month transition time between his getting home from school and his report date to Germany. It totally sucks because he's going to have to out process during that time. It means that we can't go home to see our families before we leave for Germany for 3 years. I mean let's face it traveling from Hawai'i to Germany isn't economically feasible. So I probably won't see them for the entire 3 years.:( It also means I have to start getting this house together so it can pass inspection. Of course, I have to do most of this by myself. Oh the joys of military life.
LC- congrats on the successful completion of P1 and the 7lbs loss.
Cyndi-Congrats on the NSV!
Gonna- I hope you feel better soon.
:wave: to everyone I missed!
Me- I'm on day 5 of my modified P1 restart. After completing P1 in December my DH came home and I went on a french fry and chocolate eating binge.:( This time around I didn't want to modify my workout schedule so I have an apple a day. The weight loss is going well and the french fry cravings have subsided.
Good luck staying OP!!
Pohai

tomandkara
01-17-2008, 01:06 AM
Pohai, Ramstein flies to McGuire a couple times a week and McGuire flies to Hickam about once a week! Nothing like a free trip home!

Kara