Old 01-15-2008, 06:54 PM   #1  
FatCat

S/C/G: 270/244/135

Height: 5'2

Default Date ideas.. I need 'em (YES!!!)

I recently fell back into the dating pool (WOW that's a little scary). I am a little concerned about what to do though... Back when I dated (before getting married and subsequently divorced) dates generally involved some kind of eating, then some kind of drinking and often some kind of sitting around. It's winter and freezing cold here in South Dakota, so the opportunities are slim for outdoor activities. We've gone to the Humane Society a few times to walk the dogs together, but we can't do that every time and it's not open in the evenings. Movies are cool, but add in popcorn and soda and sitting around for 2 hours...

Does anyone have some cool non-food ideas for dates?
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 07:14 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 146/138/125

Height: 5'5

How about bowling? Its fun and you can get some friendly competition going with your guy. Also, lots of getting up and down, there is some exercise for ya. Have fun!
Ash15+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 07:23 PM   #3  
Blue Team Member

S/C/G: 297/229/150

Height: 5'5/168cm

great idea ash.. all i could think of involved sitting .. movies ect.. we use to bowling or play mini golf or go for a walk on the beach. Ice skating might be good especially if your bad at it ... a big laugh.. lol....
amouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 07:32 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 153/130/135

Height: 5'7"

Dang, Ash15+ stole my favorite date activity of bowling! It's great because you get to stare at your date's butt.
A couple of other ideas:
- museum (art, natural history, etc.)
- author's talk at a bookstore
The non-food part is tough. For a twist, though, maybe you two could attend a cooking class together - maybe at a Whole Foods/Fresh Market-type place - where the focus will be more on preparation, technique, etc. Have fun!
fatburner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 07:50 PM   #5  
vek

S/C/G: 203/ticker/180

Height: 5ft2"

- go to play something (pools, bowling, darts, ping-pong)
- go to dance
- go to iceskate
vek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 08:20 PM   #6  
Strong on the inside

S/C/G: 197/197/145 HW: 233

Height: 5'4"

How about some volunteering? Spending a saturday morning working together for a good cause will give you lots to talk about and you'll probably get a little exercise, as well.
aerotigergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 08:28 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 230/188/145 Started 1/3/08

Height: 5'4

I have a coworker who set up three or four dates that involved seeing a television series recently put out on CD. Then she could control what she ate (as opposed to what he ate). They took breaks during episodes for romantic walks in the moonlight. Of course...it's not in the minus zero degrees in California.

ox
SC
stayincalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 10:02 PM   #8  

Okay, my sister usually actually goes out with a few friends from work - -but maybe laser tag? Or possibly to a gym to play basketball, walk the track... Not too good at ideas myself, been married too long!! Indoor bumper cars, a local high school musical or concert -- does your area have an entertainment section in the Sunday Paper possibly, we find a lot of stuff to do from here - comedy shows, concerts, etc.
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 02:30 AM   #9  

Hmm, Does he know of your diet plans?Usually I make it clear before any event what I'm doing, why I'm doing it,and why I plan on not failing.

What I would do, Is ask him if he wants to join a dance class/crafts/etc (something that involves doing something)together. If he doesn't then do you have any art galleries, or parks around(i know it's super cold but it's always snuggling weather too!)And then if you go out for dinner, Try a resturant that has salad, and such...I'm not sure what diet plan you are on, but I'm sure you can choose a good dinner wherever you go (besides fast food) Everyone has already suggested almost everything else, If it's snowing...I'd have a snow ball fight!Those are always fun!I used to do it when I was in school lol Anyway, hope I helped.
seraphimbeauty21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 09:24 AM   #10  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I go out to the movies about once a year and really, I generally watch movies at home most of the time.

How about making a nice dinner together and watching a movie at home? (Although I guess that involves food)
Do movies require popcorn? I've probably had popcorn a total of 5 times at the movies and that was really when I was younger.
Any museums around to visit?
Any indoor places that you can think of that may be interesting to visit?
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 09:32 AM   #11  
On my way...

S/C/G: 255/240/150

Height: 5'7

How about miniature golf. We have an indoor miniature golf course in my city. So you might want to see if you have one near you. Also bowling if fun... My husband and I used to go to batting cages. It is really cheap and really fun. But I love baseball... So that might not be your cup of tea....
dek6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 09:43 AM   #12  
FatCat

S/C/G: 270/244/135

Height: 5'2

There is no batting cage here, sadly. That would be so fun. BUT... we do have an indoor driving range! Thanks for all the good ideas.. that should keep us busy for awhile. I just discovered that they city floods the zoo parking lot in the winter to make an ice skating pond.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 10:05 AM   #13  
Oh buddy, it's on!

Y'all are giving some awesome ideas! I think I'll use them myself.

Bowling was going to be one of my suggestions. Also, I've always had a good time at sporting events.

Whatever it is you do, have a good time!
Katy05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 10:05 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 245/237/165

Height: 5'10.5"

Default Old Fart Idea

I realize it's very "early 80s" but roller skating is good exercise and (provided you don't fall) not hard on joints. Plus it gives good hand holding opportunities.
If you have a Bass Pro Shop they sometimes have activities and are big enough to walk around.
I sometimes take my daughter to a movie at the mall and park on the opposite side. We get a nice long walk (through the warm mall) on the way to and from the movie.
I think everyone's got good ideas...
Of course, if your body can take it, tobaganing always gave me the giggles. Bumping my rump down the hill at speeds that seemed significantly faster than they are (especially at night) had me laughing SO hard. Then lugging the tobagan and my snow-gear covered self back up the hill kept me warm. (If you do this, please make sure you have a thermos of warm tea, coco or something in the car.) I'm not sure I could take the bruising anymore, but I might risk it next winter just for my daughter's sake.
ShyCammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 02:14 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

would these be first dates? I suggest coffee, cause if it's not going well, you can always say you got something else you need to get to and leave, and if it is going well, you can sit and talk and drink coffee for hours! Then have a 2nd date be something else. Like dinner and bowling, etc
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote