UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:24 AM   #1  
EH1

Default Quick Question - Best Yoghurt??

Hi all

I'm doing the South Beach Diet and usually look in on those boards but i'm having a bit of trouble with UK brands so figured i would drop in on th UK thread!

Basically i'm trying to avoid all sugar and keep everything as low fat as possible and was looking for some advice from all you pros. I like to have plain natual low fat yoghurt for my brekkie but i'm a little confused with the labels on some of the products. For example, the Sainsbury's own brand low fat, natural yog does not list any ingredients, but the nutritional panel lists 9.7g of carbs (of which sugars) per 100g....???? Surely if they had added sugar they would have had to list this as an ingrdient, so does this mean that all yoghurt has natural sugars present...???? So confused?

It would be fantastic if anyone with a recommendation for a good yoghurt - or just make sense of my post could let me know!!!

Thanks in advance
B xx
EH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 03:06 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 213/166/137

Height: 5 ft

Sorry EH1 I can't help you. I am a bold girl and eat Yeo Farm Organic strawberry yoghurts. Which aren't particularly low fat or low sugar but incredibly yummy. They do a natural yoghurt as well the nutritional value of iwhich I am not sure of, it surely can't be that calorific though. I would recommend them both to you, and they are organic.

Michele
micheleherts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 05:51 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 290/170/170

Milk contains natural sugers (lactose) so any natural dairy product will have some carbs in the form of sugars. Just look for yogurt that has no added sugar. Yeo Valley and Rachel's Organics are both good.

Kitty
KforKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 09:48 AM   #4  
EH1

Thanks for the help guys - it was the natural sugar in milk that was confusing me, thanks for clearing that up!
EH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 06:41 AM   #5  

I've got addicted to Total Greek Yogurt - it's strained, so as thick as cream without the fat. You can get the ordinary or 2% or 0%. I also sometimes make my own yogurt and strain it through those muslin squares you get in Lakeland.
Very nice. Must admit I always sweeten it with honey though, if I make it myself.
PhatPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 06:49 AM   #6  
Chrisinct

S/C/G: 224/165/150

Height: 5'4

I love Fage Greek yogurt. I always buy the "zero" fat free kind. My parents were introduced to it when they went to Greece a few years ago. My mom said she ate it every morning with fruit. I have to admit, it is the creamiest, thickest, most delicious yogurt I've ever eaten. I buy the plain version and put equal and either almond extract or vanilla extract in mine. I'll never go back to Dannon again.
chris313 is offline   Reply With Quote