Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-13-2008, 08:27 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 197/185/123-125

Height: 5'1"

Default Non-Food Rewards

Not sure if this is the right place to post this - sorry if it isn't! Feel free to move...

I made a new year's resolution to get my health back on track and break the binge cycle that has dominated my eating habits for the past few months. So far I've been doing well for a week and I feel like I'm strong enough to keep it that way for a while. I do have some weight to lose (about 20 pounds) but my main goal is to stay binge-free.

So my first goal is to remain binge-free and cheat-free until Valentine's Day. I want to motivate myself with some kind of tangible reward. But I realized that my "rewards" have always been food-related (going out to dinner, treats, etc.) I just don't know how to reward myself without food .

So far I've come up with these ideas:
- buy a book (I love books!)
- go shopping and get an inexpensive outfit
- get a classical music CD
- ???

I know it's pathetic, but does anyone have any other suggestions on how I might be able to reward myself that's not food-related?

Thanks!
Tam
tammay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 08:40 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 248/216/148

Height: 5'11"

Here's my standard list:
Manicure
Pedicure
Hair Appointment
Massage
New songs for my Ipod (Come to think of it the Ipod was a reward )
New workout DVD
If you have a hobby I find that makes reward ideas easier to come by. Hope this helps.
THINBYJUNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 08:50 PM   #3  
Less is more.

S/C/G: 298/234/170

Height: 5'5"

I've thought about this too. Being the last thing I need after hitting a certain goal is to pig out on something I haven't seen in a long time. ^_^
I also thought, I'll get a book. As I love books (I have enough to start a mini library) I thought about getting a new outfit, a video game, a dvd.

At the moment I'm really big in collecting Manga (Japanese comic books about 200 pages long) I have to order them off Amazon and have gone WAY overboard lol. So, for now, my goal award is allowing myself to order the next manga book in this series I'm reading.

So anyways... lol. I think that if there is something you are passionate about.. books, or hitting the movies... the mall that's a two hour drive out of town...getting a massage or getting a new hair do. Something you've been wanting to do for a while but just can't seem to make the time for it. Reaching your goal gives you a reason to make time... just for you.
Good luck =^_^=
Sakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 08:53 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

i think reawards (big or small) are great! After a while, many people find the wt loss is reward enough...but for me..at the beginning..it really helps.
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 09:22 PM   #5  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

I use many of those already listed. Another reward for me is a trip to the second-hand stores. Instead of buying a "new" outfit - I buy several "new to me" things that fit me very well. I then donate my too large items to the same store. I feel good about that too
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 09:37 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 124kg(272)/94kg(209)/70kg(154

Height: 5'5"

I decided I needed a 'treat' today so I got a beautiful smelling lime scented beeswax candle and a bottle of 'slut pink' nail polish for my toenails.
KrisR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 12:32 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 215/163/135

Height: 5'4"

I try to buy myself new fitness stuff with every 10 lb loss-- new windpants, a slideboard, a medicine ball, kettlebells...eventually I won't have to have a gym membership, I'll have everything I need in the basement

When I hit my goal weight, I'm going to buy myself a kayak!

Last edited by Erinyes74; 01-14-2008 at 12:33 AM.
Erinyes74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 01:55 AM   #8  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I am big about fitness-motivated rewards....like new workout clothes or new songs for the iPod...it is great to motivate me to continue working out!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 04:55 AM   #9  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

What I include in my list (but it's cheap stuff/second-hand, I'm only a broke student on a half crappy salary ):

- Paperback book
- CD/DVD
- Scarf, necklace, bracelet, a ring...
- A new piece of clothing
- Small bottle of perfume
- Some make-up if I need to renew mine
- A nice pen (I love writing)
- Something art-related (drawing paper...)

Although right now I am also putting money aside (1 euro for each day when I am "on plan") to buy a real kotatsu. It will probably take me more than one year to scrape all the money I need, but I don't care.
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 01:18 PM   #10  

Height: 5'1"

I think anything that inspires you to keep going is a good thing! I only have a few pound to go untill I am at goal. My problem has always been staying at goal. I am going to reward myself with: A new charm for my pandora charm braclet for every month I don't gain weight. I only have 2 charms and am anxioux to get some new ones. I think I will work harder know that I have something to look forward to. Hoakey, but I think it will work.
the slim me is offline   Reply With Quote