100 lb. Club - Does anyone Jog???

View Full Version : Does anyone Jog???

Chelavon
01-13-2008, 03:46 PM
I am 261 pounds and want to jog. I never see anyone jogging that is over weight. I know it burns calories, I was thinking something on the lines of incorporating it into a brisk walk to break it up. Is it that bad on your knees?

midwife
01-13-2008, 04:44 PM
Hey,
Check out the Cool Runners thread down in the exercise area. We have actually discussed that this month. There is a Couch to 5 K program that some people use. Working up cardio stamina, leg strength, and joint endurance can help you on your journey. I think YP1, HeatherAngel, and LisaMarie all started running at similar weights (I apologize if I am misremembering). I know that for me, running is vital to weight loss. I started out by walking and incorporating short spurts of running (literally I would run the straight side of a track and walk the curve).

See ya in the Cool Runners thread!

Chelavon
01-13-2008, 06:14 PM
Thanks, midwife. I will check it out. I am motivated and looking for tips and motivation!

Erinyes74
01-13-2008, 07:13 PM
Jogging works really, really well for me too. One thing I would recommend-- buy a brand new pair of sneakers (and replace them frequently-- on the order of every 3 months if you are running daily) and you'll be much happier for it.

Rosemund
01-13-2008, 07:15 PM
I do (I call it running because it sounds better to me.) I started doing it at my highest weight. I've never had any knee problems or soreness from it (this is not a guarantee, of course.) I did what midwife did - when I was starting out I ran down the street as far as I could, walked a bit to recover, ran a bit, etc.

I do caution you to wear good shoes, though. When I first started I only had shoes that were worn out along the outside edges, and that did cause me some knee soreness, but new shoes fixed that right up. They are a good investment.

midwife
01-13-2008, 08:05 PM
Ditto what the others said: good shoes are essential. If you have a specialty store where they can analyze your gait, take advantage of it! Good shoes will help you avoid injury.

Idealmuse
01-13-2008, 08:12 PM
I started recently at 232. With the right shoes you should be okay. The first week is a bit of a surprise (I had new muscles sore I never even knew were used to run!)

You might want to take it really slow and alternate jogging with walking (try 30seconds running first with 4.5 walking) then in a few weeks try 1 minute jogging with 4 walking) If you follow a c25k program you'll likely have to repeat weeks but thats perfectly ok.

Most importantly listen to your body!

-muse (who's upto 1.25 jogging and 3.75 walking) :)

NickiB68
01-13-2008, 08:26 PM
I started jogging last fall and it quickly became my favorite form of exercise. I started much like the others did, alternating between walking and jogging a block at the time. I added a block to the jogging part as I built up my stamina. Ditto on the good shoes too. Do start out slow and warm up/cool down with a brisk walk and/or stretches.

jordan
01-13-2008, 09:22 PM
Yes, I do and it has been absolutely crucial to my continued weight loss. I haven't plateaued yet and I attribute that 100% to starting to run. It's a funny thing, too, because it gets addicting after awhile (it really sucks at first though, stick with it). It gets incredibly easier as you lose weight, it really does, and I think it is the most efficient way to lose weight. I started running to lose weight, and now I am motivated to continue losing weight to hopefully continue to improve my running. What a vicious circle.

kasmin
01-14-2008, 05:23 AM
Hey there! I also started running (or learning to run really:P) at my heaviest weight. I did a "learn to run" program at the Running Room. I don't know if you have that where you are, but I highly recommend it! It's a 10 week program, you start walking 1 min running 1 min X 10 and then by the end you run 5 K. It conditions you so gradually that you don't risk injury or knee problems. The dude who came up with this program (and started up the Running Room stores as well I think) wrote a book, which also has training schedules in it plus a bunch of other good info. You might try to find it in the library or wherever. (Running-start to finish John Stanton) If you can't find the book, just PM me if you're interested in the beginner's training schedule and I'll type it up for you!

gina1221
01-14-2008, 10:06 AM
I started the Couch to 5K program when I was 292. I use the conservative C25K from beginnertriathlete.com but there are others available. I just felt that at my weight when I started that I really needed to take it slow. The only problem I have had has been with heel spurs but it was short-term and not so bad that I couldn't run. I am currently running 4 minutes and walking 1 minute alternating for 30 minutes total with an additional warm up and cool down period. I also started with new running shoes. So, it can be done just listen to your body.

Good Luck!

Skinny4baby
01-14-2008, 11:20 AM
Does everyone feel that running TONES the body? or do you feel it just burns the fat off? Also..I read alot where people say they LOVE running? Does it give you extra energy boost? Or do you love that it is easier and quicker form of exercise?

nylisa
01-14-2008, 12:43 PM
I've had stress fractures a few times & Plantar Fasciitis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantar_fasciitis) once. So my general dr., the podiatrist & the trainer I met with to get the basic layout of the gym have all agreed that I should wait until I'm 180 to start jogging. I'm still working on it (lower impact exercise like ellipticals, walking, etc. in the meantime).

I certainly don't want to discourage anyone from a higher intensity exercise. And anyone of any size can be prone to injury if they dive into a new exercise program too quickly. But those of us in the 100 or more to lose category are probably even more vulnerable, because of the weight put on bones, joints, etc. I'd start slow and/or run it by a dr.

One of my stress fractures happened because I started jogging without preparing my body properly for it. I had to wear a soft shoe cast for about a month and then my activity was still limited for a bit after that. I lost the motivation to exercise & gained even more weight. And eventually, I wound up at my all time high of 250. I'd hate to see anyone else have that kind of setback. Please be mindful of avoiding injury.

Switzie6
01-14-2008, 01:24 PM
I started the couch to 5K plan at coolrunning.com when I was in the 250's. I had to repeat the weeks many times over. Right now I up to doing 8 min jog, 5 min walk, 8 min jog. Next step is jog 20 min straight with no walking break.

ChrissyBean
01-14-2008, 01:59 PM
Yes, but I can only seem to jog for .12 of a mile at a time! I walk on the treadmill at 3.7 mph and throw in spurts of jogging here and there to make it 3 miles.

traci in training
01-14-2008, 06:03 PM
I agree with most everything. I call it running even though some people walk faster than I run. :-) I like the way it sounds better than jogging.

I don't know if it tones or energizes or if it's just the simple fact that when you've been overweight a long time it feels POWERFUL!

The first time I tried to run for a minute I wasn't sure if I was going to live. I thought I might wet my pants, my insides felt "jumbled" and my feet and legs sort of seized up. Now I run/walk thirty minutes. I was up to 1.5 run/1.5 walk before Christmas, but started over today after a break and I do 1 minute run/2 minutes walking.

Get good shoes. Give yourself time to build up strength. But run.

kimmieone
01-14-2008, 06:33 PM
I don't run, my knees are shot to ****.

OptimistK
01-14-2008, 06:47 PM
I like to run all 220 pounds of me. I started when I was around 260 believe it or not and I've gotten so much better at it. Distance is good, but doing sprinting intervals is best for burning fat plus it keeps your body guessing. Have you ever seen a sprinters body??? Think Florence Griffith Joyner, her body was AMAZING!!! Distance runners are thin, but IMHO sprinters have great bodys b/c while sprinting you're also apparently building muscle.

chick_in_the_hat
01-14-2008, 10:20 PM
I've just recently started running - I strained a muscle in my arm and I had to park my bike temporarily. I kinda like it - all you really need is shoes. :D

Make sure you warm up with a 5 minute brisk walk and a cool down walk after, tho. :cb:

dek6
01-14-2008, 10:52 PM
I wanted to see if I could run. So I was walking on my tredmill one day and I decided to run. HHHAAAA!!! I ran for 30 seconds at 5 mph and I thought I was going to die. It didnt hurt my body but I could barely breath. So if anyone can give me advice on how to work myself up to being able to run for longer than 30 seconds it would be great. THanks

knitsforfive
01-15-2008, 12:01 AM
I actually just started this weekend because I kept seeing the people on TBL, even those larger than me, running on the treadmills. I have good running shoes and live near a beach so I went and walk/jogged on the beach (figuring it would be easier on the knees) -- about 2-3 minutes walking to 30 seconds jogging. I have to say that each time I try jogging I LOVE it. It was my major form of exercise in college and I felt so good back then.

I appreciate hearing all your stories. They gie me hope that I can keep doing this.

Chelavon
01-15-2008, 07:24 AM
Thank you so much everyone for your help and support, you all are GREAT!!! I am excited to start this journey in my life.

I work in a resort and the only way out for the employees is through the basement. Well needless to say its 3 flights of stairs and at the top of that it is a straight incline up in the weather. So I have always huffed and puffed on my way out. Sunday I made a commitment to be healthy, so I ran up them stairs and up the mountain, (I call it), I got to the top and did the Rocky thing when I got to the top. I was so proud of myself!!!

I see the key item for this journey is good shoes. I will have to get that all mine are a few years old and broken...gotta work on that. I will take a look at some of those programs and let you all know my progress.

Thanks Again!!! :D

Switzie6
01-15-2008, 09:42 AM
dek6,
Check out coolrunning.com, there is a couch to 5K program that tells you how to work up to running 3 miles at a time. It goes week by week, running 3 days a week with intervals on walking and jogging. I had to repeat weeks many times but now I can run 8 minutes at time without trouble. Good luck :)

aerotigergirl
01-15-2008, 09:57 AM
YES! Running is GREAT! I'm at 223, and I'm training for a marathon! And trust me, if I can run, then pretty much anyone can... A few tips:

1) Make sure you have good shoes. Many running related injuries (to knees, hips, ankles, etc) come from running in old or inappropriate shoes. There are stores available to do a gait analysis (don't worry, you can actually walk for this, rather than run, if you need to), and the salespeople there are usually very informed and can help you choose a shoe that provide the support that the rest of your body requires.

2) Start small. The first day I began running, I couldn't even run 100 yards! But slowly, I began to notice that I could run farther and farther. Eventually, I was running several miles without ever needing a walk break. Lots of times it seems like people give running a try, but then they quit because they are frustrated and think that they "can't do it". In reality, you just have to have realistic expectations of yourself. Start out trying the walk/run technique (Walk 2 minutes, then run 1, then repeat). Then adjust as necessary. The key is to allow yourself time to recover, and you'll be able to cover a lot more miles. I have some great book recommendations for runners, if you're interested.

3) Start small. Many injuries come from starting out too quickly. Allow your body the time it needs to get used to this idea of "running". If you go out on your first day and try to run 5 miles, I'd be willing to bet you won't try running again because A) it'll be the worst 5 miles of your life, and B) you'll be so sore you can't move. Of course, this varies person to person, but for most people, when running is new, it takes a little while to work into it. Just do it a little bit at a time.

4) If you're like me, you'll need a really good sports bra. Because running is a "high impact" sport, there's a lot of bouncing in the chest-al section that go along with it. I have been lucky and have found a couple of sports bras that work well at Dick's Sporting Goods. They're made by Champion. I just try to find the most supportive ones that I can. One of these days, though, I plan to buy one by CRX. They are fantastic, and I would love to have one, but I can't seem to fit into their largest size yet. Oh well, give me another 6 months and I'll be there.

5) Don't worry about speed. My "run" is slower than some people walk. It's more of a shuffle, really. But it works for me. And I've noticed that I've gotten faster over the months without really even trying. So, just get out there and move, at whatever speed you like.

6) Finally, try not to worry about how everyone else on the trail looks. When I first began, I felt painfully aware that i was the fattest person out there running. But running folks are usually very friendly. Never once has anyone made fun of me or laughed at me for trying. In fact, it's been just the opposite. Because I'm heavy, people seem more supportive. Many times, I've had complete strangers shout to me on the trail "Keep it up!" or "You're doing great!" Complete strangers! It's actually a very supportive network of people; runners are intimidating, but once you're out there with them, you become one of them. :)

That's pretty much it! Good luck to you! Running is really great. After a great run (even a short one) I always feel strong and liberated and healthy... You can do it! Check out my weblog, as well... It's mostly about running, with a few little humorous tales of my life thrown in for seasoning: slowgirlrunning.blogspot.com (http://slowgirlrunning.blogspot.com)

Smiling_Sara
01-15-2008, 11:36 AM
I do want to at the gym, but I am scared too for a couple reason, 1, how I look running, and 2 I am afraid I might break the maching ( as silly as that sounds )

nylisa
01-15-2008, 12:07 PM
For sports bras in larger sizes, I've found Just My Size to be a good source for them:

http://www.jms.com

dek6
01-15-2008, 12:46 PM
BORNTOFLY- OMG I am so glad that there is someone out there that feels the same way I did. I have a tredmill at my house now so the only ones that can laugh at me are my cats and my dog. BUt when I used to go to the Y I would want to try running so bad. Every time I would be in my car on my way to the gym and I would think. OK. Today you are going to try it. You are going to get on the tredmill and you are going to run. Well everyday I would get on the tredmill and I would chicken out. I was terrified of how I would look, that I would look like an idiot if I could only run for like 10 seconds. And the biggest thing was the noise the machine would make. It made a loud thumping sound every time I took a step. HOW LOUD WOULD IT BE IF MY FAT BUTT WAS RUNNING!!!!!!!!
So No I dont think it sounds silly. I am right there with you.....

famograham
01-15-2008, 12:49 PM
I wanted to see if I could run. So I was walking on my tredmill one day and I decided to run. HHHAAAA!!! I ran for 30 seconds at 5 mph and I thought I was going to die. It didnt hurt my body but I could barely breath. So if anyone can give me advice on how to work myself up to being able to run for longer than 30 seconds it would be great. THanks

Dek...I did the EXACT same thing yesterday on the treadmill! It was nuts!
I cannot believe how long 30 seconds can feel!

I threw in those 30 second bursts maybe 5 times during my 30 minutes on the treadmill. The thing I noticed, was that adding these bursts of running, kept my heartrate high for the rest of the workout, even though I had gone back to walking! Is this normal, runner's?

Way to go!!!
:hug:
Linda

BrandNewJen
01-15-2008, 01:10 PM
Last time I dieted I stuck to a strict exercise regimin. Every other day I would take a long walk (I just mapped it and it turns out it was a 2.8 mile walk!!!) I walked fast paced and every other street I'd say "Ok, let's run up to that next street" and then go back to walking. I lost a lot of weight and it was easier on me b/c I have bad knees and huge breasts that move a LOT for running--- so the little spurts were manageable!

It turns out a couple years later I was signed up for a free gym membership and I was talking to a personal trainer about how I lost a lot of weight before and I explained my "running thing"... she said, actually, it's a LOT better to do it my way b/c it spikes the heartrate and that's the best thing for metabolism and burning fat. go figure!

traci in training
01-15-2008, 02:38 PM
Yes - your heart rate will stay up. I have a friend who's a doctor and he says those intervals are GREAT for your heart and your arteries. Blows out the gunk. Highly medical terms, I know, but he's like that. He says that people who walk and walk and walk don't get the results they want because they don't continue to increase speed, incline, etc. and their heart rates don't go up like they used to.

I don't know about y'all, but it's going to be a very VERY long time until running doesn't get my heart rate up!

Smiling_Sara
01-15-2008, 02:49 PM
BORNTOFLY- OMG I am so glad that there is someone out there that feels the same way I did. I have a tredmill at my house now so the only ones that can laugh at me are my cats and my dog. BUt when I used to go to the Y I would want to try running so bad. Every time I would be in my car on my way to the gym and I would think. OK. Today you are going to try it. You are going to get on the tredmill and you are going to run. Well everyday I would get on the tredmill and I would chicken out. I was terrified of how I would look, that I would look like an idiot if I could only run for like 10 seconds. And the biggest thing was the noise the machine would make. It made a loud thumping sound every time I took a step. HOW LOUD WOULD IT BE IF MY FAT BUTT WAS RUNNING!!!!!!!!
So No I dont think it sounds silly. I am right there with you.....

I"m glad i'm not alone in feeling like that. I usually go about 3.2 mph and that is a fast walk for me, I'm hoping that once I lose a little more weight I won't look so strange, or I could try just jogging around the block too, once the weather warms up, that wouldn't scare me as much bc I wouldn't be in such close proxsimities (sp) :)

famograham
01-15-2008, 02:50 PM
:lol: Traci.....me too!!

LisaMarie71
01-15-2008, 05:25 PM
There's already been lots of great advice in this thread, so I won't repeat it. I'll just say this:

If I can go from being a person who can't run for 30 seconds to being a person who coaches running and can run for 2 hours and 30 minutes straight (that's how long my half marathon took), then anyone can run. I'm taking a break from running now because I'm pregnant and the doctor advised walking instead, but I really really miss it! It was very hard for me at first (I started at around 250 pounds), so I did a program like the couch-to-5k one (basically my own version of that). If you incorporate short running intervals into your walks and gradually increase them, you'll get to the point where you're running miles and miles every week and absolutely loving it. Just don't worry about speed for a long, long time.

Skinny4baby
01-15-2008, 05:43 PM
Lisa?? Do you attribute most of your weight loss because of the running? Did you notice a huge weightloss when you began? I have been stuck for four month now..currently trying South Beach..but would really like to start running, to see if it helps with the weightloss?? I want to get preggo too!!!

Chelavon
01-16-2008, 08:20 AM
These posts are so helpful! Thanks to everyone for posting. No matter how silly you think it is, usually most of us are thinking the exact same thing! Going to buy new running shoes today, YAY Me!!!!!

LisaMarie71
01-16-2008, 10:47 AM
Lisa?? Do you attribute most of your weight loss because of the running? Did you notice a huge weightloss when you began? I have been stuck for four month now..currently trying South Beach..but would really like to start running, to see if it helps with the weightloss?? I want to get preggo too!!!

I attribute my weight loss to both running and counting calories (well...I counted Weight Watchers points, but it's basically the same). If you just run and you still eat too much, you probably won't lose weight (obviously). So running helps, but so would any other exercise you choose. Running does burn tons of calories, though, because it's more intense than many other exercise options. Also, it appears to be highly addictive!

As for the pregnancy, I attribute that to my weight loss. I tried to conceive for years, went on Clomid, etc. Clomid didn't work. I had problems with ovulation, and I seriously didn't relate it to my weight. I'm not sure why I didn't -- I just assumed my weight made me generally unhealthy but didn't actually affect my ovulation. I certainly wish my doctor had set me straight on that or I had figured it out on my own, because I may have been motivated to lose the weight earlier. I don't blame the doctor for it, but I do wish I'd seen things differently a long time ago. I'm not saying overweight people can't get pregnant -- I'm just saying that my particular ovaries didn't work when I was obese! I don't think it's a coincidence that after trying to conceive for YEARS, I met my weight loss goal in one month and got pregnant the next. My body was finally healthy enough to ovulate (and to carry a baby). Now that I've made that connection, I always like to make sure everyone else understands it, even though it may not apply to everyone.

modkittn
01-16-2008, 11:34 AM
Someone I work with is a runner (I'm a jogger) and she ran throughout her whole pregnancy. In fact, when she was around 32-34 weeks, she did a 5K. I jokingly asked someone else in the office if he beat her and he said yes, but only by 5 seconds! :) She is very dedicated and runs everyday. From what I have heard from other friends as well, they said that any activity that you would normally do for exercise when you are not pregnant should be safe to do when you are pregnant (considering this isn't anything that might actually cause harm to the baby - getting thrown around or falling like in some martial arts, etc). Maybe you should talk to your doctor about it again. Was it your OB/GYN that said that to you?

There's already been lots of great advice in this thread, so I won't repeat it. I'll just say this:

If I can go from being a person who can't run for 30 seconds to being a person who coaches running and can run for 2 hours and 30 minutes straight (that's how long my half marathon took), then anyone can run. I'm taking a break from running now because I'm pregnant and the doctor advised walking instead, but I really really miss it! It was very hard for me at first (I started at around 250 pounds), so I did a program like the couch-to-5k one (basically my own version of that). If you incorporate short running intervals into your walks and gradually increase them, you'll get to the point where you're running miles and miles every week and absolutely loving it. Just don't worry about speed for a long, long time.

famograham
01-16-2008, 12:35 PM
I believe that doctors and midwives *generally* advise against sports where a bad fall could happen. That would include downhill skiing, my guess would be running and ice skating as well, and probably a few others. I'm sure it depends on the level of risk a particular woman carries.

most exercise IS safe, however...as long as you check it out with your healthcare provider first. :)

After hoping for a baby for sooo long...I would not be doing anything to risk my precious baby.

Maybe Midwife could chime in here???

I'm SO happy for you, Lisa!!! And also very jealous :lol:

Linda

Skinny4baby
01-16-2008, 01:45 PM
Wow! I know you are on cloud nine then..if you have been ttc for years, as I have. I was told by my RE at my first visit everything you are speaking of. I had already lost 50 pounds at that point..so he just encouraged me to keep going. I am six months now with my cycles being normal range of 25-29 days. When I got to 265 they normalized?? It really is funny how the body works..because I know when I hit 280 that is when I started immediately having irregular cycles, thus indicating I was NOT ovulating. I hope with me cutting the carbs that it will only be a matter of time before it happens for me too!

Goal for me now is to get to 2 4 9 and start Walk/Running. I think I can do it! CONGRATULATIONS Lisa!!!! May you have a long, healthy NINE months!!!!:D

Reddalice
01-16-2008, 02:01 PM
I started jogging around 245lbs and it is a pretty good but short story. One day, I was feeling so bad about myself and thought life at the rate I was going wasn't worth living. I piled on some clothing and took of running down the road crying. I went about .4miles then walked fast and jogged and walked and jogged and walked (about 1.5miles) until I returned home exhausted. The next day I had the worst shin splints and abdominal muscle pains I've ever had... however, I found a love for jogging at night.

vek
01-16-2008, 02:19 PM
I can not run at all. I have asthma and I feel like my lungs are burning and my heart is going to crack into pieces...:(
So, all I can do is walk or bike.

modkittn
01-16-2008, 03:16 PM
Well what I said in my previous post about doing any exercise while pregnant that you would normally do (barring certain aspects of martial arts for me) was the advice of my OB/GYN to me when I thought I was going to TTC, as well as others I know who did conceive. You should always check with your doctor beforehand, though!

I believe that doctors and midwives *generally* advise against sports where a bad fall could happen. That would include downhill skiing, my guess would be running and ice skating as well, and probably a few others. I'm sure it depends on the level of risk a particular woman carries.

most exercise IS safe, however...as long as you check it out with your healthcare provider first. :)

After hoping for a baby for sooo long...I would not be doing anything to risk my precious baby.

Maybe Midwife could chime in here???

I'm SO happy for you, Lisa!!! And also very jealous :lol:

Linda

I have asthma as well and was once in your position! This is what I did when I started jogging (run it by your doc first if you'd like to try):

Take inhaler about 10-15 minutes before exercising
I started off with 15 minutes of walking, 1 minute of jogging and repeating. I expanded until I could jog the whole time. Sometimes I still need to slow down to a walk to catch my breath. It used to be that when I did that I also had to take my inhaler, but not anymore.
Bring water with you! Take a few sips when you slow down to catch your breath. I don't know why, but this REALLY helped me a lot.

I can not run at all. I have asthma and I feel like my lungs are burning and my heart is going to crack into pieces...:(
So, all I can do is walk or bike.

LisaMarie71
01-16-2008, 03:43 PM
As for running during pregnancy, I had every intention of doing that. In fact, I did in the first few weeks. I had two scares, though, when I bled after running only 3 miles (a 3-mile run is very short to me now). The doctor said running probably wouldn't CAUSE a miscarriage, but she thought I should switch to running just to be safe, and she reminded me that if something happened I would always think it was my fault for running. I'm just not taking any chances. If it had only happened once, I may still be running. But twice? Nope. I can walk for now.

midwife
01-16-2008, 04:42 PM
These posts are so helpful! Thanks to everyone for posting. No matter how silly you think it is, usually most of us are thinking the exact same thing! Going to buy new running shoes today, YAY Me!!!!!

Yea, Chela!!! :carrot:

I agree with everyone in the thread about exercise and pregnancy. There are a few medical conditions in which women should definitely NOT exercise, but for the most part, women can continue whatever they have been doing....as long as they don't injure themselves. Me and a bike would be very bad, for example! :cool:

I also agree with Lisa's doc about switching to walking right now. There are no studies that would indicate running (or working, or sex, or etc. etc. etc) causes miscarriages, but most women are scared by first trimester bleeding and try to control what they can. So, taking it easy helps emotionally and mentally, and doesn't hurt in the short term.

Swimming, yoga, walking, exercise bike, easy ellipicall-ing (is that a word?) are usually totally cool the whole time (barring pregnancy complications), but I'm glad Lisa is taking it easy for now. It gives me time to catch up to her in the running department. :devil:

LisaMarie71
01-16-2008, 07:19 PM
I'm glad Lisa is taking it easy for now. It gives me time to catch up to her in the running department. :devil:

Heehee! I'm not too hard to catch! I was getting a little faster (I was working on it anyway) and I had this whole plan to run a marathon this year AND to run a sub-25 min 5k. Ah well...2009?

My plan right now is a 30-60 minute walk at least every other day and prenatal yoga DVDs at least 3 times a week. Pretty laid back...

modkittn
01-16-2008, 08:35 PM
As for running during pregnancy, I had every intention of doing that. In fact, I did in the first few weeks. I had two scares, though, when I bled after running only 3 miles (a 3-mile run is very short to me now). The doctor said running probably wouldn't CAUSE a miscarriage, but she thought I should switch to running just to be safe, and she reminded me that if something happened I would always think it was my fault for running. I'm just not taking any chances. If it had only happened once, I may still be running. But twice? Nope. I can walk for now.

That would scare me, too! But you are doing good now, I assume. And you can still burn calories with walking :)

I have actually been out of the jogging business for a few months now (hip injury and am doing physical therapy). I know when I get back into the game its going to take me a while to get back to where I was because of my asthma :( I am not looking forward to that, but it will feel great to jog again!

kissingginger
01-16-2008, 09:06 PM
I have asthma - I take a puff before I get on the treadmill if I am wheezing enough. Even though I think I am pretty heavy to be running, I still get on there walk briskly at 3.2-3.7 and then try into a smooth jog for as long as I can to get the cardio benefits, then walk, then jog etc...in intervals for as long as I can manage. I've only been doing this a short 2 1/2 weeks and I feel really strong. I know that the first week my shins started hurting the minute I tried to jog even a little, so I backed off at the first sign of pain and just kept up the brisk walk.

I've actually noticed that my asthma is better now that I have been exercising. It helps too that I am almost 14 pounds lighter than I was in December. My "real" starting weight or highest weight is actually 275.

Ginger

Gale02
01-16-2008, 09:52 PM
I started running at about 250lbs. I'm not running right now for a variety of reasons, but nothing related to my weight. I did want to chime in on the asthma and the sports bra aspects of things. I have pretty severe asthma and I can still run. I just make sure to keep an inhaler with me and use it as needed (for sure before I start running). I also keep water with me, it helps me to breathe easier if my throat doesn't get dry.

On the sports bra front, as a 36DD I've found Enell sports bras to be worth their weight in gold. They're a little pricey (around $65) but nothing moves an inch in those things. That's worth every dime, especially when running.

Gale02
01-16-2008, 09:55 PM
I forgot to say: Don't worry about what people are thinking. Other runners are (in my experience) always encouraging and the people that aren't encouraging just don't get it. I actually found that the people that were the least encouraging were jealous, they wished they could run but didn't want to try. Weird.

Good luck, running is a great sport!

PS- Absolutely get some running shoes fitted at a running store. One staffed by runners, not after-school teenagers. The right shoes will save you a world of pain.

barbygirl43
01-17-2008, 12:28 PM
On Monday I started the c25k program again. The last two times I had gotten pregnant in the middle and stopped. My tubes are tied this time so there shouldn't be any pregnancies in my future :)

knitsforfive
01-17-2008, 08:08 PM
Well, I am just loving this running stuff. Today, after doing 15 minutes on the elliptical, I did 25 min. of walking 1.5 min. and jogging 1.5 minutes. Feels so good. So amazingly good. I feel accomplished.

Skinny4baby
01-17-2008, 08:39 PM
So does that mean I will get pregnant if I start running?

LisaMarie71
01-18-2008, 08:19 AM
So does that mean I will get pregnant if I start running?

Wouldn't it be nice if it could be that simple?!

midwife
01-18-2008, 08:53 AM
Yea, Dawnyal!! It's so wonderful to see your smiling face this morning! Good luck with Couch to 5K!!

I hope to see all you runners in the Cool Runners forum!

knitsforfive
01-20-2008, 12:37 AM
I don't know if it is this thread or just the fact that I happened to decide to try jogging again last week, but I am just in love with the whole thing. In one week, I have gone from a combination of walking 3 min. and some facsimile of jogging for 15 seconds to today's work-out of a combo of walking 1 minute and actually jogging (NOT running) 2 minutes.

I have to say - I think I might be a jock.

What a high. I am going to have to convince myself not to run tomorrow so I don't overdo it. I was going to stay on the elliptical today, but I started salivating while watching the joggers on the tread. I seriously had this conversation with myself:

"I can stay on the elliptical today. It will be good to give your feet, knees, and joints a break.

But I am really doing well jogging and it feels so good. Doesn't that look like fun?

It does look like fun, but I need to start slowly. No jogging today. Stay on the elliptical.

Of course, my feet are starting to go numb on the elliptical and that never happens on the treadmill. I could just WALK on the treadmill and not jog.

Or I could just walk tomorrow and get one last jog in before a day long break."

Seriously, it is the reverse of my old self-talk, which always ended with some oversized snack of chocolate.