LA Weight Loss - Informal, off topic poll - please respond

Dan2112
01-10-2008, 03:02 PM
I had a meeting today to discuss marketing ideas for our "Forest and Watershed Health Office"... The director there wants me to look at new ideas for promoting waterhshed health.. I wanted to show her that not a lot of people out there know what a "watershed" really is... So I need your help...

The question is simple. Please give me your best answer. If you know the real answer, please give it. If you don't, but have an idea, use that.. If you really have no idea, please say "I don't know"

**Please do not google the answer**

"What is a watershed?"

This will give me an idea as to what the "average" person thinks a watershed is, or if they have any idea at all.

Thanks in advance...

BarbaraB
01-10-2008, 03:05 PM
Isn't it the area around a body of water (lake, river, creek) that drains into that body of water (and perhaps causes issues like pollution or soil erosion)?

StevenBensMom
01-10-2008, 03:15 PM
Don't know...Sorry!

Jrny2aNewMe
01-10-2008, 03:19 PM
I have always had the same impression as Barbara, that it is "the area around a body of water (lake, river, creek) that drains into that body of water ", but I will further expand on that saying that it is surrounded by an area of higher elevation, ie. a hill that defines the area of the watershed. In other words it is essentially a catch basin.

cecil
01-10-2008, 03:20 PM
I don't know?

Debbie24
01-10-2008, 03:24 PM
no idea.

sscott
01-10-2008, 03:29 PM
no clue

chiquita623
01-10-2008, 03:33 PM
I have no idea. Are you going to tell us when you get all the responses compiled?

apple76
01-10-2008, 03:35 PM
I'd think it's the same as water-well... Will you tell us later?

Mama Nicole
01-10-2008, 03:41 PM
No clue. I am thinking you are going to have to print this thread and show her :)

NemesisClaws
01-10-2008, 03:45 PM
Hmm...a watershed is something at the edge of a water that is designed to catch bad contaminated stuff? Sorry, I used to know this, but it has been a few years now. Like others said, it's not exactly something we think about everyday.

Suzanne 3FC
01-10-2008, 03:48 PM
In the UK, the watershed is the time after which you are allowed to show sex and nudity on regular television. It can be quite graphic :o

I don't have a clue what it means here.

bradleys mom
01-10-2008, 03:50 PM
A shed where you keep water?

evilwomaniamshe
01-10-2008, 03:53 PM
Watershed to me means the first 10 pounds of water weight I lost! ...
Sorry that is the best I could come up with!!! Ha ha ha, I know that can't be right because you specified off topic though....

linda25590
01-10-2008, 03:57 PM
i think that a watershed is a time in your life that you decide to take a different direction. i would guess that it is like a river parting to let u see whats beneath. or am i wrong

HeatherAngel
01-10-2008, 04:00 PM
I'm with Suzanne - I automatically wondered why the Forest Health Office needed a cut-off time for 'family-friendly' content. That's be those 12 years in the UK still haunting me! ;)

Dan2112
01-10-2008, 04:07 PM
Ok... Adult television responses need not apply! :lol:

This is a natural resources related question.

Yes, I will give you the answer about this time tomorrow, so that everyone who wants to has had a crack at the answer..

Thanks again for the participation...

juliemarie
01-10-2008, 04:10 PM
I believe a watershed is any area adjacent to a body of water where rainwater, runoff will pass through on the way to that body of water.

brittanyl
01-10-2008, 04:12 PM
Like a duck or waterfowl habitat?

iowa girl
01-10-2008, 04:15 PM
No clue.

okie in il
01-10-2008, 04:36 PM
I've heard the term before, but really no clue as to what it is.

dolphn545
01-10-2008, 06:36 PM
I have no idea what it is. a place to keep water

emmysmom
01-10-2008, 07:23 PM
Is that like a pump house? No clue...

Repo girl
01-10-2008, 07:47 PM
Yeah.....no idea.

almsthere
01-10-2008, 09:26 PM
i dunno! Seriously...I'm sure I did know at one time or another...before children messed with my mind. :dizzy:

GrandmaCindy
01-10-2008, 10:51 PM
Body of water?

Joni135
01-10-2008, 10:56 PM
I read your question and I'm going to reply right away before reading answers. I have no idea, really, what a watershed is. A body of water? a building site that houses equipment that purifies the water? the equipment that turns water into electricity? an underground channel that takes water from the lakes/rivers and distributes it to the water lines. I'm clueless and embarrased by my lack of knowledge. Now I'll go read and google.

okay - I read the other answers and don't feel quite as bad about my wrong answers. Personally, I like the UK responses and the answer about shedding water weight at the beginning of most weight loss programs.

Lynx
01-11-2008, 07:18 AM
i dunno! Seriously...I'm sure I did know at one time or another...before children messed with my mind. :dizzy:

I am sticking with almsthere's answer. School was too long ago for me. We didn't have earth science in grade school and I didn't study that in college.

Lynn
LAWL franchise center
total lost 62.5 lbs.
Original goal of 50 lbs lost achieved
New goal to lose total of 65 lbs

Heather115
01-11-2008, 08:26 AM
The only reason I have any clue, although possibly incorrect, is because I read a newspaper story here a few years ago about the local university ag department using the roof of the riverboat for watershed studies. They had planted a bunch of trees and plants on the roof of the riverboat and were studying how much rainfall was absorbed, how much ran off, etc. So I guess it has something to do with how trees and plants affect how the ground absorbs water?

Tuesday Cool
01-11-2008, 09:27 AM
Watershed is the area of land that shed water into a holding area such as a river or lake. A mountain can act as a watershed. Rain or snow falls on the mountain then drains to a lower lying stream or lake.
While the I have never heard the term health used in the context of watershed I can see the importance of keeping our watershed lands clean and safe as watershed land give much of the country its drinking water.
Good luck with this task. T

Dan2112
01-11-2008, 10:07 AM
OK.. I think this has run its course..

First, thank you all, for your answers.. Your reponses basically proved the point I was trying to show our Forest and Watershed Health Office Director..

Tuesday's answer was the closest.. In fact it was pretty much spot on..

There were a handful of others that were pretty close but not quite..

The textbook definition we use is: "The term watershed refers to the geographic boundaries of a particular waterbody, its ecosystem and the land that drains to it. A watershed also includes groundwater aquifers that discharge to and receive discharge from streams, wetlands, ponds, and lakes. Large watersheds are sometimes referred to as river basins."

In this case, there's no reason to feel bad if you don't know the answer.. Most people don't.. So now it's my job to figure out some good ways to clue people in.

Watersheds and forests go hand in hand. If one is unhealthy, the will be too in most cases... So while we as a nation (and Canada too) fret about forest health, we shouldn't forget about our watersheds...

I'm going to stop right now, or I will end up on my soapbox, and you REALLY don't want me to go there unless you want a lecture about how we have too many trees... :lol:

Again, thank you all for helping me out.. When we get the program going, I'll share the things I've come up with.. You've been a BIG help!!!

krjpy
01-11-2008, 10:09 AM
I believe it is somthing like the area around or near water (lakes, oceans, swamps, etc).

Tuesday Cool
01-11-2008, 10:16 AM
Dan, you can borrow my soapbox any time. I can and do expound on the importance of spaying and neutering your pets, bite preventing, and other animal health issues so often that I say I have a portable soapbox!

Dan2112
01-11-2008, 10:32 AM
Thanks Tues... I tend to get pretty militant on my environmental stand, but not in the way most people think.. I start off with my statement that there are "too many trees" and then work my way into "use more paper" and "Superfires have more affect on global climate change than man does."..

You should see the teachers' jaws drop when I lay those on their students.. :lol:

angemama
01-11-2008, 02:23 PM
I have never heard of that in my life lol

Heather115
01-11-2008, 02:42 PM
A forestry guy saying we have too many trees? How ironic is that! I figure trees mean job security for you. :) You might just have to give us some background on that statement cuz I doubt I'm the only one baffled by your statement...

Dan2112
01-11-2008, 03:02 PM
Ok, ok.. I guess I asked for it.. The simple answer, boiled down is:

Following a century of bad fire suppression policy, spreading of population into "wildland areas" and periods of cyclical but prolonged drought, many areas of North America have simply too many trees for ecosystems to maintain a healthy status.

For instance.. In pre-settlement times, an acre of forest may have had 100 trees and lots of diverse ground vegetation. Over the years, it became policy to put out any forest fires that popped up.. What this did was to remove a natural, needed element from the ecosystem, robbing the forest of what it needs to "clean out the trash".. Without fire, vegetation grew unchecked, choking out diverse plant species and driving away wildlife. The more trees that grew, the more competition for water robbed the trees of vitality and the ability to ward off insect and disease.. So that same acre that should only have 100 trees, may now have 500-1,000..

Without enough water to stay healthy, these trees became fuel for fire.. So instead of slow moving ground fires that cleared the brush and trash away, you get what we have today... Superfires that lay waste to the landscape, choke the watersheds with debris and destroy vital animal habitat.

So, now we know that "Fire Good".. But with the spread of population into wildland areas, even though we know fire is needed, we can't let natually caused fires to burn, in order to protect lives and property.. SO....

It's up to communities, private land owners and others to take matters into their own hands and conduct treatments to remove trash trees and forest litter (leaves and needles and such).. Once threes have been cut, making sure to leave a good mix of diverse species as well as old and young trees, fire can be reintroduced...

Especially in the Western US, but now even more in the Southeast, drought is an huge danger.. Think of this like running a race with 20 people....

After the race, you are thirsty.. You are given a bottle of water and drink it down.. afterward, your thirst has been quenched and you feel good.. BUT.. What if you had to share that one bottle with all the other people in the race. You'd only get a sip or two at the most, and would still be thirsty and worn out.. That's what's happening in our forests... In New Mexico between 2000 and 2004, we lost something like 70 million pinon pine trees (our state tree) to a bark beetle that was allowed to flourish because of drought combined with an overly abundant supply of the tree...

Sorry about that.. But you were warned :lol:....

Heather115
01-11-2008, 04:44 PM
Good information to have. I had no idea. I knew how wildlife was impacted by our continued sprawl into formerly rural areas, but didn't know how much further that reached. Learn something new every day...

ronlu
01-12-2008, 03:03 AM
Hi Dan,
I believe watershed is the natural habitat surrounding a body of water, ie runoffs, sloughs, etc

lizababe
01-12-2008, 10:52 AM
Dan - you so need to get the job to pay for you to make a trip to San Diego and be on the "Tree Huggers" show! Though I don't know if any music would ever get played on that station again if you and Tommy got to talking...

shshshhh
01-13-2008, 04:37 PM
Dan

I am cheating a bit here because ever since I migrated to the northwest from the southeast I have become very involved in Disaster Preparation and have a bit of an iinsight that I had no clue about before I moved.

My understanding of a watershed is: that is an area of land where all of the water drains to the same place – this includes water that flows on the surface and water located underground. Watersheds come in all shapes and sizes and can are not territorial as far as county, city or state boundaries are concerned.

Now I am going to read all the answers posted.

Let us know what the official answer is, ok?

Roberta

PS Just read your official response to all of us, wow. I knew a little bit about the fires because of my work with the fire department. We are in a mutual aid agreement with neighboring states but it is daunting to read about the impact in terms of 'drinking one bottle of water'. Thanks for posting this.

Dan2112
01-14-2008, 12:01 AM
My pleasure, Roberta.. Glad I could give you some insights...

Liza.. I'd love to do the show.. Too bad they won't do a phone-in...

Thanks again to all who answered!

lizababe
01-14-2008, 12:03 AM
Do you have access to an ISDN line that can broadcast? They just got a new studio and could do it that way... hmmmmm

Dan2112
01-14-2008, 09:53 AM
Is that the kind of line that allows you to sound like you're actually "in studio" when you're not?

I don't know. I have a few contacts around with the TV and radio stations.. I know they use them when the TV stations do "special reports" on the stations they're partnered with.

Is your station owned by Citadel, by any chance?