South Beach Diet - What are the Phase I absolutes?

View Full Version : What are the Phase I absolutes?

Skinny4baby
01-10-2008, 02:04 PM
I did print the Phase I list up top, as I have the old, original book. But I was wondering, for the pros here...What is the absolutes that I MUST have in-stock to be successful in your opinion? I plan on stocking up on Sat. Even brand names would be great..such as salad dressing..I find it hard to find good lower sugar ones?? Thanks!:)

Piper129
01-10-2008, 04:28 PM
For salad dressing, I have been using Olive oil and rice vinegar only, since I am not sure what is legal, and it works for me.

I don't love a lot of the vegetables that we are free to have, so I have been stocking up on celery, and things for salads.

I don't like the taste of splenda, so I have given up most sweet things. I have SF gum and the occasional diet soda as a "treat".

Skinny4baby
01-10-2008, 04:42 PM
Rice Vinegar? That is a new one on me? Are you still on Phase I? I am really wondering IF I can do this?

Schmoodle
01-10-2008, 05:02 PM
You'll really have to experiment and look around to find what you like. I'll tell you what my staples are, but I'm sure everyone's are different.
I almost always have on hand:
Trader Joe's Goddess dressing, canned tuna, canned beans, natural peanut butter, assorted nuts, Laughing Cow Lite Cheese, eggs, skim milk, NSA fudgesicles, Fage 0% Greek Yogurt.

Skinny4baby
01-11-2008, 08:34 AM
I am stocking up...So far I have beans, beans and more beans, albacore, sardines, salmon, skinless chicken breast, baby tomatoes, Goddess dressing, SB Italian dressing, Omega-3 eggs, Baby organic yogurt 4 oz., cheese, FIJI water, Lean Cuisine's with meat & veggies only.

Has anyone tried the South Beach frozen meals? The breakfast burrito looks good??

tomandkara
01-11-2008, 09:03 AM
The breakfast burritos wouldn't be Phase 1 friendly because of the wrap.

Are the yogurts you got the YoBaby ones? They're whole milk yogurt with sugar added, so not OK for Phase 1 (or really any phase of South Beach), although my one year old eats them. :)

Read the ingredients on the Lean Cuisine's. Make sure there are no hidden starches or sugars.

Baby tomatoes! Yum! I love them on cottage cheese. Mmmmm! Great snack or quick lunch (or breakfast, at that!).

My staples are loads of veggies (zucchini, broccoli, romaine, tomatoes, eggplant, peppers, snap peas, etc.) and quick snack ideas (nuts, pre-cut veggies, cheese sticks).

Good luck!

Kara

Skinny4baby
01-11-2008, 09:29 AM
Oh pooey!:dizzy:I went and re-read my double check...LOL! They do have added sugar!!!?? I thought the * meant only from the whole milk source? Man..you have to be soooo careful!! Pooey. Looks like the plain really is the only good way to go??

Yeah...I only saw a couple of Phase I..and they didn't look so good? The LC are safe...one is grilled chicken with spinach and cheese.

I am going to miss my Better than Peanut butter from TJ's! It is out of this world good. TJ;s has the best baby tomates...never thought about them with cottage cheese?? Gonna try that.

tomandkara
01-11-2008, 09:30 AM
What's Better than Peanut Butter?

I miss Trader Joe's!

Kara

Skinny4baby
01-11-2008, 09:33 AM
It really is better than peanut butter. It is peanuts, natureal sugar cane, and tapioca pudding. Very smooth and so good on gala apples. It will now have to be an occasional weekend treat.:^:

zookeepera949906
01-11-2008, 09:35 AM
I think what has helped me the most so far (I'm on day 9 of P1) is having a plan. Before I started I sat down and looked through the recipes in the book and on here; I copied the ones that fit us the best, and I made my shopping list from those recipes and snack ideas. I didn't know exactly what days we would have those dishes, but I knew that's what we would be eating for the week, and I've stuck to it (well, I did partake of a wafer dipped in grape juice on Sunday, but it wasn't like I could refuse to take Communion because it didn't fit into my diet, right? lol)

Anyway, that was my overly long way of saying that *my* absolute must for Phase 1 was a firm plan and shopping only from that plan.

Good luck! Phase 1 will go by faster than you think - at least it has for me so far!

tomandkara
01-12-2008, 04:09 AM
Jennifer, I took communion on Day 2 of Phase 1 back in December, and it didn't do anything. I figured God would intervene and cleanse me from the physical ramifications if needed! :)

Kara

murphmitch
01-12-2008, 04:50 PM
I never thought about Communion! I wouldn't think of skipping it though. It's so small it shouln't interfere. Like you said, I'm sure God wouldn't let it screw up your diet.

cottagebythesea
01-12-2008, 05:10 PM
I think what has helped me the most so far (I'm on day 9 of P1) is having a plan. Before I started I sat down and looked through the recipes in the book and on here; I copied the ones that fit us the best, and I made my shopping list from those recipes and snack ideas.

I completely agree on this. Having a plan really helps me stay on track, with all my meals and snacks all planned out in advance. I like to make and freeze lots of meals in advance, too, for the times I don't have time to cook. Knowing I can just defrost and heat up a tasty meal in a matter of minutes is invaluable!

The staples I like to keep on hand are ff Greek yogurt, sf jello, eggs, a variety of lf cheeses and string cheese, boneless skinless chicken breasts, and tons of veggies - both fresh and frozen. And I'm totally addicted to Trader Joe's Organic Low Sodium Tomato and Roasted Red Pepper Soup.

jillybean720
01-12-2008, 06:55 PM
And I'm totally addicted to Trader Joe's Organic Low Sodium Tomato and Roasted Red Pepper Soup.
Whoa, TJ's has a low sodium version?! I've been hooked on Pacific Natural's organic roasted red pepper and tomato soup, but I don't have it too often because of the sodium. Sounds like a trip to TJ's is in my near future...thanks!

cottagebythesea
01-12-2008, 07:00 PM
Whoa, TJ's has a low sodium version?! I've been hooked on Pacific Natural's organic roasted red pepper and tomato soup, but I don't have it too often because of the sodium. Sounds like a trip to TJ's is in my near future...thanks!

They have a low sodium butternut squash soup, too, jillybean! I just stocked up on them again today! :)

Kiko
01-12-2008, 09:54 PM
I so wish we had a TJs here in Texas- those both sound delish!!

Schmoodle
01-12-2008, 10:44 PM
I haven't been by TJ's in about a month, but I think I'll need to go to the office next week, so I'll be able to stock up on my regular stuff. I can't wait to try those soups!

Kiko
01-13-2008, 04:08 PM
BTW, my favorite Phase 1 recipes are:

Fireside Sausage Soup
Easy Salsa Chicken (make extra and this is great on a salad for lunch)
Taco Bake
Crockpot Chicken Fajitas

These are all in the recipe forum and make great leftovers as well.

:drool:

Leia
01-13-2008, 05:43 PM
I know it is higher in fat than some would prefer, but the salad dressing I have been using successfully and maintaining strong P1 results whenever I need to go back to P1 is listed below.

Newman's Own - Lighten Up
Light Balsamic Vinaigrette

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 2 tbsp (30.0 g)
Amount Per Serving
Calories 45
Calories from Fat 36
Total Fat 4.0g
Saturated Fat 0.5g
Sodium 470mg
Total Carbohydrates 2.0g

SkinnyDogMom
01-14-2008, 10:05 PM
TJ's also has a nice selection of frozen fish. They are vacuum sealed and individual or 2 serving packs. Just read the ingredients because some of them are stuffed or are made with non phase 1 ingredients.
We keep celery sticks, nat'l PB, cheeses, cottage cheese, V-8 juice, SF fudgesickles, salad fixings, nuts/seeds, eggs, eggs and more eggs, beans, chicken breast, lean ground beef (usually 96%), canned tuna, frozen fish, salsas-red and green (tomatillo), frozen veggys-edemame, califlower, broccoli. We even eat out on phase 1, but choose carefully.
I highly recommend the Taco Bake recipe here if you enjoy tex-mex and there is a recipe for Frosted Califlower that used to be here and probably still is. I don't care for califlower too much, but love the frosted califlower. It pairs well with chicken breast or lean pork.
It really isn't difficult once you get past the first few days.
Best wishes,
Karla
P.S.--salad dressings...We try to stay low on the carb count, like 5 or less per serving, and I try to use only 1/2 of a serving. Other than that, we allow ourselves any dressings that keep the carbs low. We found a greek vinegrette that is good and has a bit of feta cheese in it. My favs are the rich & thick blue cheese dressings, but I avoid that as much as possible.

Skinny4baby
01-14-2008, 10:31 PM
I agree, they do have a great selection of fish. I think their wild alaskian salmon is really yummy. Their TJ's bags of nuts are really good too. I had morning star black bean burger (no bun) for dinner...man, they are out of this world good!!! I will be eating these for a very long time to come...Who needs beef? Can't wait to eat these on some whole-grain bread.

pamatga
01-15-2008, 02:44 PM
South Beach Diet Phase 1 Guidelines and Food List
Phase 1 Guidelines

Breakfast Lunch
Protein: Quantity is not limited. See choices
Vegetables: Minimum 1/2 cup. See choices
Fruit: None
Starch: None
Milk: None
Fat: 1 tsp mayonnaise or oil (optional) See choices Protein: Quantity is not limited. See choices
Vegetables: Minimum 2 cups. See choices
Fat: 1 Tbsp mayonnaise or oil. See choices
Dinner Snack
Protein: Quantity is not limited. See choices
Vegetables: Minimum 2 cups. See choices
Fat: 1 Tbsp mayonnaise or oil. See choices Snacks are required. Choose from the Protein or Vegetable list, or eat nuts from the Fats list.

Allowed Foods in Phase 1

PROTEIN CHOICES
BEEF Lean cuts, such as:
Eye of Round
Ground beef:
Extra Lean (96/4)
Lean (92/8)
Sirloin (90/10)
Tenderloin
Top Loin
Top Round
CHEESE (FAT-FREE OR LOW-FAT)
American
Cheddar
Cottage cheese, 1-2% or fat-free
Cream cheese substitute, dairy-free
Feta
Mozzarella
Parmesan
Provolone
Ricotta
String
EGGS
The use of whole eggs is not limited unless otherwise directed by your doctor. Use egg whites and egg substitute if desired.
LAMB (Remove all visible fat)
Center Cut
Chop
Loin
LUNCHMEAT
Fat-free or low-fat only
MEAT SUBSTITUTES (SOY BASED)
Bacon - Limit to 2 slices per day
Burger - < 3 gms fat per 2-3 oz portion
Chicken Patties & Nuggets - < 3 gms fat per 2-3 oz portion
Hot Dogs - < 3 gms fat per 2-3 oz portion
Natural Peanut Butter - 2 Tbsp (may use as protein choice or limited nut choice)
Sausage Pattie - Limit 1 patty per day
Seiten
Soy Crumbles
Soy Nuts - 1/4 cup for a protein snack is suggested serving
Tempeh
Yuba
PORK
Boiled ham
Canadian bacon
Loin
Tenderloin
POULTRY (SKINLESS)
Cornish hen
Turkey bacon (2 slices per day)
Turkey and chicken breast
SEAFOOD
All types of fish and shellfish
TOFU
Use soft, low-fat or lite varieties
Vegetable Choices (includes legumes)
(May use fresh, frozen or canned without added sugar)
Artichokes
Asparagus
Beans, Green
Beans, Italian
Beans, Wax
Beans or Legumes:
Black Beans
Butter Beans
Chickpeas or Garbanzo
Pigeon Peas
Soy Beans
Split Peas
Broccoli
Bok Choy
Cabbage
Cauliflower
Celery
Collard Greens
Cucumbers
Eggplant
Lettuce (All varieties)
Juice (Limit to 6 ounces per day)
Tomato
V-8
Mushrooms
Mustard Greens
Okra
Onion - Limit to 1/2 per day
Peppers (All varieties)
Pickles - Dill or those sweetened with SplendaŽ
Radishes (All varieties)
Rhubarb
Sauerkraut
Snow peas
Spinach
Sprouts, Alfalfa
Squash, Spaghetti
Squash, Summer
Yellow
Zucchini
Tomato - Limit to 1 whole or 10 cherry per serving
Fat Choices (with some suggested serving sizes)
The following monounsaturated oils are recommended to be consumed daily:
Olive Oil
Canola Oil
Other Oil Choices that may be chosen (Polyunsaturated or a blend of Monounsaturated):
Corn
Enova
Grapeseed
Safflower
Soybean
NUTS (Limit to one serving per day as specified)
Almonds - 15 (Dry roasted recommended)
Brazil Nuts - 4
Cashews - 15 (Dry roasted recommended)
Pecans - 15 (Dry roasted recommended)
Macadamia - 8 (Dry roasted recommended)
Peanut Butter - 1 tsp
Peanut Butter, Natural = 2 TBS
Peanuts, 20 small (May use dry roasted or boiled)
Pine Nuts (Pignolia) - 1 ounce
Pistachios - 30 (Dry roasted recommended)
Walnuts - 15 (Dry roasted recommended)
In place of nuts, may use:
Flax Seed - 3 TBS
Other Fat Choices:
Avocado - 1/3 whole = 1 TBS oil
Guacamole - ˝ cup = 1 TBS oil
Margarine - Chose those that do not contain Trans Fatty Acids such as Fleishmann's Premium Olive Oil or Smart Balance
Mayonnaise - Regular or Low Fat
Olives (Green or Ripe) 15 = 1/2 TBS
Salad Dressing - Use those < 3 gms sugar per serving
SPICES AND SEASONINGS
All spices that contain no added sugar
Broth
Extracts (almond, vanilla, or others)
Horseradish sauce
I Can't Believe It's Not Butter! Spray
Lemon Juice
Lime Juice
Pepper (black, cayenne, red, white)
Use the following toppings and sauces sparingly (check labels for added sugar)
Hot Sauce
Salsa - Limit to 2 TBS during phase 1
Soy Sauce - 1/2 TBS
Steak Sauce - 1/2 TBS
Worcestershire Sauce - 1 TBS
Whipped Topping (Light) - 2 TBS
SWEET TREATS (Limit to 75 calories per day)
Candies, hard, sugar-free
Chocolate powder, no-added-sugar
Cocoa powder, baking type
Fudgsicles, sugar-free
Gelatin, sugar-free
Gum, sugar-free
Popsicles, sugar-free
Sugar substitute
Some Sugar Free Products may be made with sugar alcohols (isomalt, lactitol, mannitol, sorbitol or xylitol) and are permitted on the SBD. They may have associated side effects of GI distress (abdominal pain, diarrhea & gas) if consumed in excessive amounts.
SUGAR SUBSTITUTES
Acesulfame K
Fructose (needs to be counted as Sweet Treats, Caloric Limit)
Nutrasweet (Equal)
Saccharin (Sweet & Low)
Sucralose (Splenda)
Stevia (Not approved by FDA)
DAIRY
Low-fat (1 percent) or fat-free milk or soy milk
Plain or sugar-free low-fat or fat-free yogurt
Fat-free half & half
FOODS TO AVOID!!!
BEEF
Brisket
Liver
Other fatty cuts
Rib steaks

POULTRY
Chicken, wings and legs
Duck
Goose
Poultry products, processed

PORK
Honey-baked ham

CHEESE
Brie
Edam
Nonreduced fat

VEGETABLES
Beets
Carrots
Corn
Potatoes, white
Potatoes, sweet
Yams

FRUIT
Avoid ALL fruits and fruit juices in Phase 1, including:
Apples
Apricots
Berries
Cantaloupe
Grapefruit
Peaches
Pears STARCHES AND CARBS
Avoid ALL starchy food in Phase 1, including:
Bread, all types
Cereal
Croutons, all types
Matzo
Oatmeal
Rice, all types
Pasta, all types
Pastry and baked goods, all types

DAIRY
1/2 cup of plain fat-free yogurt (once per day max.)
Fat Free 1/2 & 1/2, Nonfat milk, 1% milk, Soy milk allowed with coffee. Otherwise avoid all other dairy products (unless listed under protein choices or sweet treats). Limit to < 2 TBS per cup of coffee. Otherwise, avoid all milk products in Phase 1, including:
Yogurt, cup-style and frozen
Ice cream
Milk, low-fat, fat-free, whole
Milk, soy

MISCELLANEOUS
Alcohol of any kind, including beer and wine
No regular ketchup or cocktail sauce
No pork rinds - too high in saturated fat
No jerky - too high in sugar content
Limit Caffeine-Containing Beverages to 1-2 servings per day

pamatga
01-15-2008, 02:45 PM
I didn't realize that would be that long! Sorry:o

That is from the official SBD web site.

Skinny4baby
01-15-2008, 03:17 PM
Thanks!:) You do know that he later changed the Dairy..and you can have up to 2 cups of MILK or yogurt per day on Phase I. That list is from my old book too...but the newer one includes Milk for Phase I. I am soooo glad. Milk sometimes helps with hunger!