Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-09-2008, 05:25 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 225/198.2/150

Height: 5'5

Default Deep water aerobics.....has anyone tried this?

I'm taking a deep water aerobics class tomorrow. From what I understand you wear a floatation device around your waist and do exercise in the deep end of the pool. Sounds like fun, so I thought I'd check it out. Anyone ever try it?
missingmyerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 07:01 PM   #2  
Joanne

S/C/G: 267/250/170

Height: 5'7"

I did it for quite a while and loved it!! That said I am a good swimmer and very comfortable in the water -- I would go back but I need to readjust my schedule for the Sunday mornings (I won't exercise in the evenings). If they do offer you the flotation devices for your ankles take them instead of the waist. It offers a much more intense workout. Your working constantly with your legs to keep them under water and if you do get tired and your legs float up make sure you get on your back (just more comfortable).

It really is good and anyone can do it -- please let me know what you thought.
Jayjay55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 07:45 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayjay55 View Post
I did it for quite a while and loved it!! That said I am a good swimmer and very comfortable in the water -- I would go back but I need to readjust my schedule for the Sunday mornings (I won't exercise in the evenings). If they do offer you the flotation devices for your ankles take them instead of the waist. It offers a much more intense workout. Your working constantly with your legs to keep them under water and if you do get tired and your legs float up make sure you get on your back (just more comfortable).

It really is good and anyone can do it -- please let me know what you thought.
I'll let you know tomorrow. Thanks for the info.

I LOVE the water and I love to swim too. I've always been too intimidated to swim in the lanes at the pool. The people who swim in the lanes seem so physically fit and seem to just glide in the water. I signed up for some private swimming lessons to help me learn how to swim "in the lanes" so to speak.

I can't wait until my deep water aerobic class tomorrow. It sounds like so much fun. Since I can't do any "land" exercise until my ankle is healed, the pool is where I'll be until then.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:12 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

I taught it for years. It can be a great workout - but you have to put your all into it - not just float there.

A tip - with the belt on it may tip you slightly forward or backward. Keep your core tight & try to maintain an upright position in the water - you'll get a better core workout that way.
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 10:45 AM   #5  

Just got back from my first class, and wow .... was it a workout! I didn't realize how out of shape I am...yikes! It felt sooo good to exercise though. My ankle didn't hurt AT ALL!!! I can't believe I can get this good of a workout without any impact on my ankle. I loved the jogging the most. I am a total mess when it comes to doing the jumping jacks though....I'll have to practice more, since I'm so uncoordinated. All in all it was a great workout and I'm surprised this isn't the most popular exercise ever! I had so much fun, can't wait till next week!
Old 01-11-2008, 07:21 PM   #6  
No excuses this time!

S/C/G: 279/249/154

I love all types of aqua fitness - and deep water aqua is great! I am glad you had fun! Does your gym have aqua box (Boxing movements in the water)- now that's a great workout too!
mumtoliam is offline   Reply With Quote