Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 01-09-2008, 05:15 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 135/130/125

Height: 5'6

Default Tortillas

So I'm trying to find a decent grocery store bread that can be bought in large quantities and stored in the fridge (like tortillas). I found these mission carb balance whole wheat fajitas and there are a LOT of ingredients. I'm going to college and I'm trying to be really good about processed ingredients. I know usually diet foods are high in them. Bread seems to be my only problem when trying to find something that I recognize all the ingredients. I have cereal yogurt and an apple for breakfast and those are all fine, for lunch I have tuna and veggies but I want bread for my tuna and thats why I'm having a problem, and my chicken and pasta and my sauces for dinner are all natural as well. How BAD would you say the ingredients are in these tortillas:
Water, Modified Food Starch, Whole Wheat Flour, Wheat Gluten, Powdered Cellulose, Vegetable Shortening (Soybean Oil, Hydrogenated Soybean Oil), Wheat Protein Isolate (Wheat Gluten, Lactic Acid, Sulfite), and contains 2% or less of: Salt, Leavening (Sodium Bicarbonate, Sodium Aluminum Sulfate, Corn Starch, Monocalcium Phosphate and/or Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Calcium Sulfate), Cellulose Gum, Calcium Propionate and Sorbic Acid (to preserve freshness), Distilled Monoglycerides, Wheat starch, Amylase, Tricalcium Phosphate, Natural Flavor, Sunflower Oil, Sucralose, Caramel Color, Canola Oil, Triglycerides, Dough Conditioners (Fumaric Acid and Sodium Metabisulfite and/or Mono- and Diglycerides).

And if you think that if I want to stick to a pretty clean diet I should get rid of these, do you have any recomendations for me? My grocery store is very limited in its options which is a shame. I was thinking instead of bread maybe do those Wasa crackers which appear to me to be all natural. I just think a tortilla would taste better. I am so frustrated!
ILoveLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 07:15 PM   #2  
Wannabe Health Nut!

S/C/G: 228/ticker/128

Height: 5"4

Make your own tortillas. I got a tortilla press from Bed Bath & Beyond, and you can find the flour (either white or corn) in most places with a Hispanic population.. At least that way you know what's going in them, and they'll be 'hot off the grill'..
LittleMissMotivation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:22 PM   #3  

Yeah but I kind of needed something more convenient since I'm at school. I don't really have time to make them I usually make my lunch inbetween classes. But that is a great idea they sound amazing.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:46 PM   #4  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

I really like the Flatout breads. They keep for quite a long time, are very healthy (I love the fiber and protein contents), and have replaced tortillas in my diet.
Here is the link to their website.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:57 PM   #5  

You may want to check the ingredient list on the whole wheat pita bread in your area- some are pretty simple
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 10:32 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

My first thought is that hydrogenated oils contain trans fats. Even if the label says zero trans fats, it can still have a small amount. Personally I avoid anything hydrogenated. Also I'm disturbed that modified food starch comes before the flour! What exactly is that anyway?

You might want to do some research and find out what is and isn't okay for you. Just as an example, I avoid hfcs, artificial sweeteners and hydrogenated oils, but someone with different "food values" might decide that these are okay in small amounts. There is room for all kinds! Since you are busy you might want to weigh if certain food ingredients are okay given your lifestyle.

If you can find them, La Tortilla Factory tortillas are good and they have lots of fiber. They too have a long ingredient list, but there are no hydrogenated oils, no high fructose corn syrup, and the leavening agent does not contain aluminum. Also, Wasa is way tastier then you'd think. I love them and the RyCrisp brand is good too.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 11:07 PM   #7  

I am a big fan of La tortillas as well as the flatout breads. They have scads of fiber and I think they taste great.

You mentioned you are busy. I think most of us are running around needing 4 extra hours + a day. Eating the whole foods way for me sometimes means a trade off. I don't have time to make my own bread and if really that is the only sort of processed type thing I eat, then I can live with that. But we each have to choose . I do make it a point to eat whole grains like quinoa, bulgur, brown rice.. etc instead of processed, fresh fruits and veggies instead of stuff in sauces from the freezer section, lean meats and fish instead of hamburger helper so I figure I am doing okay.

You'll do fine. Just understand that no one here is 100% whole foods perfect 100% of the time.
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 08:02 AM   #8  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

If you would like to make your own tortillas (which I would recommend if you like to cook - I think it's fun! ), you can make a huge batch and then freeze them in small, wrapped batches of 5 or so.

Linda, thanks for the positive comments regarding doing our best. That's all we can do!
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 11:06 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

I like the idea of making (flour) tortillas! Does anyone have a good recipe, preferably with a decent fiber count?
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 11:18 AM   #10  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Tortillas are easy to make. I've seen recipes on the outside of flour bags but a quick online search popped up quite a few.

Here is one that is reasonable calorie wise
http://www.recipesource.com/special-...ortillas1.html
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 11:25 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

That one has whole wheat flour and less fat than other recipes. Thanks Nelie!
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 12:35 PM   #12  

wow that recipe looks good and pretty easy!

Thanks for all the responses! I've heard good things about the La Tortilla's and I have tried the flatbread ones and they are really good. I guess I could always buy them online and hopefully they will ship to my school. I'd like to give a shot at that recipe though.
Linda you are so right and I appreciate you saying all that. Making my own bread sounds so good though.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:39 PM   #13  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

Those carb-balance tortillas aren't just low-carb, they're downright low-food-of-any-kind!
How about plain ol' corn tortillas? Ingredients are usually just corn and lime.
Spinymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 01:39 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenor77 View Post
You might want to do some research and find out what is and isn't okay for you. Just as an example, I avoid hfcs, artificial sweeteners and hydrogenated oils, but someone with different "food values" might decide that these are okay in small amounts. There is room for all kinds! Since you are busy you might want to weigh if certain food ingredients are okay given your lifestyle.
Yeah, I agree, different people have different "values" and goals about what is okay for them to eat. I personally don't avoid those ingredients but just limit how much I consume.

I agree about the Flatbreads--they are yummy, too!
blueberry3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 10:02 PM   #15  
Working My Way Back Down

I love LaTortilla brand! Our grocery just started carrying them, and I'm thrilled. I have a homemade bean burrito for lunch several days a week (ff refried beans, salsa, lf sour cream, with optional other stuff, i.e. tomato, avocado, onions, ff cheese, etc. (whatever I have, in other words) Fills me up nicely for a decently low calorie count, and lots of fiber.

Thanks for the recipe Nelie, I'll have to try these. I do make white bread for my DH (he cannot eat ww as he has intestinal "issues") so I do know what he's getting, and I sometimes have it too. Very little fat or sweetner.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote