Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-08-2008, 05:55 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 187/187/135

Height: 5'4"

Default Request for Encouragement - (long: i'm needy!)

Hi All,

The reflection in the store window this afternoon was hard evidence that my yo-yo dieting and yo-yo exercise routines have yielded a flabby, uncomfortable body. I can easily relate to food addiction (sweet, salty, back to sweet again), seeking comfort in food etc. One trip on the stairs back up to the office after lunch left me winded and concerned about the health problems that could develop if I keep packing on more pounds - I used to RUN up those stairs 5 years ago. This morning's scale reading was up ONE POUND from the weekend. A casual evaluation reveals that I have been avoiding social outings due to my appearance. My clothes no longer fit properly and my energy has diminished greatly. I really need help.

Some trigger foods have recently made themselves known, along with a history of depression, on-again, off-again veganism, raw foods, sugar-free food plans. If I could find ONE eating plan and develop a fitness habit, I believe I could shed the extra 50 pounds I'm carrying (5'4, 182 - though my mother assures me I'm "small boned"

I love coffee - with all the trimmings (real cream, real sugar). That has been one of the more difficult habits to change. Also feel best after eating a predominantly vegetarian diet. Yet, after a month or so of vegetable fare, I find I CRAVE protein from fish, eggs, chicken etc.

Eating every two hours causes me to graze all day; eating "3 square leaves me (feeling) famished in-between. I believe I've got to just make a decision, commit to the process and see how things work out.

It took 4 re-reads of RockinRobin's wonderful testimony to convince me that I may also have a chance at releasing this weight and maintaining a state of fitness:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...06#post1886306

(I keep a copy of her post in my planner for motivation - Thanks again, Robin!)

To stay accountable, I'd like to come here and check in - make it a part of my daily routine.

Thanks for listening. I hope to participate and benefit from this forum in a way similar to what Robin describes.

Jean
Ready2BThinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 06:49 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

I agree with the folks who say that you have to develop your own personal program. It has to be something you can live with forever. I have found it to be an interesting project finding things I really like to eat that are healthy and weight management friendly.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 06:58 PM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey Jean!

Encouragement is what 3FC is about--encouragement that you can accomplish weight loss and maintain the loss. Encouragement that you can find a program or plan that works for you. Encouragement that you can let go of the times in the past that haven't worked out.

Encouragement that YOU CAN!

Feel free to check in, post, ask questions, report your progress!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 08:38 PM   #4  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Sending Encouragement to Jean (Ready2BThinna)

Hi Jean,

Sending encouragement your way.

You've made a great start by choosing RockinRobin's story.

Good luck.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:43 PM   #5  
CURVY VIXEN

S/C/G: 205/194/128

Height: 5'2''

wow can I relate to your post!
I've been at this weight for years and for awhile I've been content with how I looked and felt. After a few disaster photo's and trips to my doctor, I found I was at risk for heart disease ( in both mom and dad). My doctor four years ago put me on blood pressure meds at the age of 40.
If that wasn't a scare, what is? I still ate. I watched my mother go through a stroke ( she recouped thank goodness) she is a vegetarian, 98 pounds with a perfect cholesterol. Did that make me eat well and exercise? NO, it didn't. I still ate and told myself that what I was eating was well deserved, as I work ed hard. I had a bad day so it was OK for me to stuff my face with food.
I went through two surgery's being over weight and saw with my own two eyes OBESE written on my orders. I have GERD, high BP, back pain, knee pain. Heart palpations, I tire easily and need a nap to pep me up other wise I need major caffeine to keep my tail moving.
Pictures of me with my flab hanging over my pants didn't do it either. I figure nothing will do it. I will be fat forever and probably would die sooner than later. It was then it hit me. I don't want to DIE. I don't want my family to find me dead in my sleep from a massive coronary. I don't want my kids and friends at a funeral palor, crying over my fat massive body. I wouldn't hurt them at all and that would crush them.
I decided I want to live. I have so much to live for.... I want to run up the stairs and not be winded, I want off bp meds. I want to see a picture and see the true me, not the one covered in layers of fat. It is time.... to do this.... I am making the choice, and the choice is simple.... I want to live..
purplepansy912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:08 PM   #6  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

JEAN ~ what about a semi-vegetarian plan designed for you by you? I read GLORY87's plan not long ago and was inspired by her as well; I'm pretty sure both her and her partner were vegetarians, but she had to add some fish and poultry also to get enough protein, but she still lost her weight and is now maintaining. Many of us here can relate to your story; and I know that you will find lots of encouragement here at 3FC's ...

ROSEBUD

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 01-08-2008 at 09:16 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:27 PM   #7  
in F major

S/C/G: 278/223/178

Height: 6'

Hi Jean,

I want to echo all the encouragement you've received so far and commiserate a little. I love coffee too - especially with all the trimmings. By cream and sugar I mean cream and sugar. Half and Half just didn't do it for me. My preferred proportions of those ingredients can best be summed up by the Beastie Boys lyric "I like my sugar with coffee and cream."

That's all in the past though. I still love coffee a whole lot, but I've learned to love it without having to tart it up too much. I make strong coffee from flavored beans at home and have it with skim milk. When I'm out I tend to get nonfat latte's (in cups the size of my head) with sugarless flavored syrups. It's a great way to drink coffee too. I don't miss the sugar and cream too much. If I start to really crave it, I'll plan for it and have a small one for desert.

Wow. You really made me want to go off on coffee. I hope it helped. Good luck with everything else!
Tharmony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 01:29 PM   #8  

Thank you Everyone, sincerely, you have provided me good ideas and incentive.

Your thoughtful responses coaxed me out of the mindset of having to find/follow an established plan (Weight Watchers, South Beach, Atkins, etc). Now I realize that I can follow a healthy plan which includes SOME of my favorite foods. Maybe my fear of getting it all done correctly has been part of my hesitance to begin by taking small steps to change my eating/exercise patterns.

I genuinely appreciate everyone's enthusiasm - so much, that I'm actually looking forward to leaving work (on time!), dusting off one of the workout DVDs and get moving!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Jean
Old 01-09-2008, 02:23 PM   #9  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Jean, I can not follow an established plan. If I'm told I can't have something, then the next thing I want to do is eat it! I could not follow a low carb plan. My cholesterol numbers went even more haywire than what they were. I absolutely abhor a low fat diet. That being said, I do try and eat things that are not high in fat. I found that plain ole calorie counting works best for me.

Also, I really didn't believe all these lovely chickies when they told me to set up a Fit Day account. Boy, was I ever wrong! That has been something that has helped me tremendously. I prefer the online version so I can update it wherever I am. I don't have to wait until I'm home to use the download version. Besides, the online one is free and I can afford free.

I don't know what type of exercise dvd you have. If it is a WATP dvd, then please join us in the exercise video section on here. In fact, whatever you have, there is probably a thread for it. You will get encouragement and suggestions from them as well.

I haven't lost any weight in over a month. However, we did just come off the holidays. I didn't gain any weight either! I just have to buckle down and find out what I need to do to get off the plateau. My body does this to me every once in a while. It's frustrating, but I've made it through all the others. I'll make it through this one as well.

You will be able to do this. It won't fall off as quickly as it climbed on, but you can do it.

You are worth it. Make 2008 the year about you. You deserve it.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 02:26 PM   #10  
I wanna be a loser, too

Another thought. Check the recipes section on here. I have gotten several recipes that are staples in our house. There is one with spinach and mushrooms that is to die for!

Also, if you have cable, check out Discovery Health. There are quite a few good shows on there. We really like A Lyon In The Kitchen. It's Nathan Lyon's show. He was a contestant on The Next Food Network Star. He lost to Guy. He does some wonderful food. Ellie Krieger has a great show on Food Network, too.

If you want to try different workout dvds, I suggest going to the library and checking them out. If you find a particular one that you like, then buy it. I started out doing that before I figured out that I'm addicted to Leslie Sansone's Walk Away The Pounds.

Last edited by cbmare; 01-09-2008 at 02:28 PM.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:15 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmare View Post
Another thought. . . .
If you want to try different workout dvds, I suggest going to the library and checking them out. If you find a particular one that you like, then buy it. I started out doing that before I figured out that I'm addicted to Leslie Sansone's Walk Away The Pounds.

Thanks Mare. This is exactly how I discovered WATP workouts. Once I get going with them, I feel better immediately
Old 01-09-2008, 07:37 PM   #12  
I wanna be a loser, too

Wonderful! Come side step, kick and knee lift with us in the exercise video section.