Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-08-2008, 04:03 PM   #1  
Used to be Archy

S/C/G: 220/171/145

Height: 5'4

Default Spain! Ack!!!

Oh man, my Spain trip is back on. At first I was going to go, but then the university said that only one person could go so were going to send the director of the project. 20 minutes ago the director called me, his son is very sick, I am going to Spain.

Ack! I'm going to Madrid, Granada, and Barcelona. A big part of me is excited, since I've been wanting to go to Spain for a while. But a bigger part of me is scared. Spanish food. Being able to work out. STAYING ON TRACK! It's a two week trip, so I don't want to just let it all slide.

Sooo, is there Spanish food that is not drenched in olive oil? Anyone been to Madrid or Barcelona? Can I run there? I figured I'm not going to be using weights, so I might as well let that go. Are there any other tips?

I leave this Friday morning. Help me!
Eves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 04:31 PM   #2  
Back on the wagon

S/C/G: 205/162/125

Height: 5'1"

Spanish food can be pretty heavy on the olive oil, and for whatever reason they usually put a fried egg on everything. But they've also got tons of fresh, grilled seafood (I LOVE octopus), vegetables, and the oils tend to be very healthy. As far as weights go, you can do the YOAD no-equipment training (I can't post links but it's on the Real Age site under Workout Center.) It's surprisingly tough, and all you need is a body!

Have a GREAT time! I miss Europe.
kuhljeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 04:36 PM   #3  
in F major

S/C/G: 278/223/178

Height: 6'

Archy,

You lucky girl! I spent a month in Barcelona once. It's a beautiful and amazing place. My time there was one of those rare occasions when I lost weight without even trying. Yes, Spanish food contains more olive oil than we're used too as Americans - but on the plus side that's a lot better for you than butter. If you're really worried about oil content, stick with tapas for the easiest tradition of portion control imaginable. Barcelona is an especially great place for seafood, which is great for you. They've got beaches and parks in the city that are good for running and hills all around that you can hike in. I'm not a runner but ended up in much better shape there from all the walking I did in the interest of sightseeing.

Have fun!
Tharmony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 04:54 PM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Archy! That is wonderful! Go and have a wonderful time! Never fear a new adventure--you'll learn to do what you need to! Gosh, I think of your tales of life in Peru, and if you could do that, I'm sure you can do anything!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 05:14 PM   #5  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Oohhh, I'm so envious. I spent a couple of months in and around Madrid in the 80s. I came back about 20 lbs thinner, like Tharmony, I wasn't trying to lose weight. Mostly from walking so much and from the lack and expense of fast foods. (I was a poor college student at the time.) The fish/seafood was great and easy to find, although I never grew to like squid in its ink. And yes, tapas for the evening meal is a great way for portion control.

I'm not sure about the running. Lots of public plazas to walk around.

I'm sure you'll do great. Enjoy it!!!!

Last edited by jtammy; 01-08-2008 at 05:16 PM.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:13 PM   #6  
Used to be Archy

S/C/G: 220/171/145

Gee, the problems of being an archaeologist. You get free trips to fabulous places that mess up with your schedule. How can you stand such an impossible job? - My Mom this afternoon, putting me in my place

I just don't want to lose my losing groove. I'm a pound away from my ticker weight and I want to start taking it down again. I will look into the seafood, the only thing with seafood that I could think of was paella, and that's far from healthy. I'll see about the tapas. There has to be healthy-ish tapas! The only ones I've tried were drenched in oil, but that's in the US.

Kuhljeanie- thanks for the info on the food. I'll look into yoad, maybe it'll help.

Tharmony- Thanks. I'm only spending 3 days in Barcelona, but it looks like I'll have the most time over there. I really want to see as much of the Gaudi architecture that I can. That should be a bunch of walking. Hopefully.

Jay- thanks! I know I'm being a baby! I'm actually really excited about going to Europe, I haven't been there in such a long time. It's going to be soooo much easier than South America. I get hot water!

jtammy- Squid in ink. Ew. I am really thinking about sticking to seafood. Hopefully it's not battered. Squid in ink. Ew. I can't get over that.

Last edited by Eves; 01-08-2008 at 09:14 PM.
Eves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 12:19 AM   #7  
lost in translation

S/C/G: 150/150/125

I just wanted to add my 2 cents since I've both studied in spain (Salamanca for a semester) and gone there for fun (the summer after hs I traveled around Madrid and the south with my hs friends... alas it's been awhile since I've done anything so fabulous ) Both times I lost weight without meaning too or even thinking about it at all. I agree that if you want to sightsee or even just have fun and experience a lot of spanish life, you can't help but walk at least a few miles everyday without even realizing it. So you'll probably get a ton of exercise just by default, which is pretty nice.
Also, squid in it's ink is DELICIOUS. Just try it, you'll be pleasantly surprised!
And bring comfy closed toed shoes, especially if you are in the south. You will not believe how dirty your feet will get!!
mariarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 12:44 AM   #8  
Angela

S/C/G: 191/163/140

Height: 5'6"

You lucky girl! Spain is my most favorite place in the world...I even got married there!

I don't want to repeat what everyone else has said, but the basic point here is you really shouldn't have much of a problem. There are 2 things that have not yet been mentioned though:

1 - GAZPACHO!!! ...cold tomato soup, delicious and low-cal
2 - TORTILLAS!!...not like the American kind, but a dish with layers of egg and potato baked in a skillet. Somtimes heavy on the olive oil but sooo good.

Have a blast my dear!!!
wish4fit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 01:14 AM   #9  
Starting Over

S/C/G: 255/255/155

Height: 5'7"

MMMMM....Spain. I was only in Barcelona for like 16 hours then I went to the Canary Islands in 1997. I want to go back so bad. Maybe that will be my goal trip!
cakses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 06:12 AM   #10  
Spanish chick

S/C/G: 142/127/???

Height: 5'2''

I suppose as a spanish chick I can also add my two cents .

The Mediterranean diet usually mixes vegetables and rice or pasta with fish/meat and yes, we usually cook with olive oil. Paella, Fideuá (that is a delicious plate with fish and pasta), Cocido (soup with vegetables and meat) ,Gazpacho.. all of them are traditional, healthy, even low calorie choices if you can control the amount of oil and meat fat. (I, for starters, would never eat a Paella in a restaurant because it always tastes better if I cook it). The problem is you can't do that in a restaurant so it really depends where are you going to eat. If I were a foreigner in Madrid or Barcelona I would avoid restaurants with big posters saying "English spoken/French spoken/etc" because they are going to be more expensive and usually the plates are of lower quality. It's often better to go to other small restaurants when they don't talk your language but food is good... it happens everywhere, go where locals go, that's the only wat to eat good traditional food at good prices. And you don't need great language skills to ask for a paella, don't you think?

A good option if you are not really interested in eating traditional spanish plates is going to a FresCo that is a chain of salad buffet restaurants (they also have pasta, pizza, soup and some low fat meat dishes). Many vegetarian people goes there and their prizes are very competitive. You are lucky because there are many of them in Granada, Barcelona and Madrid. If you need some vegetarian restaurants in Madrid feel free to ask me the adresses and I will pm them to you. I'm not living there but I go to Madrid a couple of times each year so I know some healthy places there .
mokenju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 10:34 AM   #11  
No description available.

Is it wrong that I hate you?

I'm kidding of course! Just a touch envious....

Check with Helen (YP1), as she has been known to run in Spain but I am not sure what areas, but she might have some ideas for you depending on locations.

I think your best bet is to focus on fresh foods in appropriate portions. Walk a lot. Don't stress about weight loss, but enjoy the surroundings and moving in them. And have a GREAT time! Enjoy the culture and the food (in moderate portions of course).
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 10:43 AM   #12  
banned

S/C/G: Countdown to goal!

Height: 5'7"

OK, Missy MISS!!!!
Weight comes and goes, but an opportunity to go to Spain is once in a lifetime, for most of us. You are 173 lbs (Just like me!) and no doubt are pretty hot, so MY personal thought is:
Go! Have fun! Experience Spain! Don't go NUTS, but don't forget, you will be eating good quality food, not junk.
Get out there, walk around and see the city! Do EVERYTHING that you can do and experience EVERYTHING that you can experience.
If you are with a crowd and they are trying new dishes, for GOSH SAKE join in! YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE!!! (note: don't go CRAZY, but for heaven's sake, have FUN).
You can deal with the lbs when you get home. Don't forget that this is what "normal -weighted" people like my DH do. They don't over-indulge, but they sure try alot of stuff and have great experiences. Once home, they say "yikes!", cut back accordingly, and up the exercise. This is how my DH has maintained his University graduation weight since 1990. He hasn't changed clothe sizes since then, and he sure knows how to enjoy trips such as these.
Welcome to life!!!!
TOTALLY have fun!
Maya

Last edited by freiamaya; 01-09-2008 at 10:45 AM.
freiamaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 10:55 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

WOW! You are so lucky! I went to Spain when I was in high school and I've been clamoring to go back ever since.

We didn't go to Barcelona, so I can't speak for it there, but I don't remember being blown away by the food. I'm not big on seafood at all (so I had to pick through the paella) so that might have been a big part of it. But like Frei said, try everything you can in moderation. Don't let food rule your trip.

Anyway, if you have the chance to sightsee I'm guessing you'll be doing a TON of walking, so try to focus on that! Have a wonderful time!

Last edited by djs06; 01-09-2008 at 10:56 AM.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:35 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 238/199/150

Height: 5'5"

Have a BLAST!!! You'll do so much walking, you won't gain! And stick to healthy foods, as said before, and you can't go wrong.
I spent a summer in Almunecar, made it to Granada for some shopping. Most days we went out to the beach in the morning, napped in the afternoon and went out for the night life til 3-4 am!!!! LOVED IT! Lots of shopping and sight-seeing too!
drake3272004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:49 PM   #15  
Mel

Can I run there?

Start running!

Really, you survived Peru, a wedding and your honeymoon! 2 weeks in Spain will be a breeze. Are you doing survey? You'll be walking and carrying. Fieldwork? OK, we both know what that is like. Lab or library? Run and bodyweight exercises

Have a great time. I found lots of roasted lean meat and vegetables in Spain. Just avoid the wonderful olives.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote