The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing - ANSWERED Ask a Dietitian - courtesy of Extra Gum and the Bigges Loser!

Suzanne 3FC
01-08-2008, 01:45 AM
Great news! Extra Gum has teamed up with the Biggest Loser TV show, and are offering their spokesperson to 3FC members for a week! Molly Gee, RD, has more than 25 years experience in health and nutrition communications and the clinical management of obesity. Ms. Gee is a dynamic leader in the American Dietetic Association (ADA). She is the co-founder and 2004 chair of the ADA’s new Weight Management Dietetics Practice Group, and is on the organization’s Obesity Steering Committee. Ms. Gee will be here to answer your questions about nutrition, weight loss, or even the Biggest Loser!

Every member that posts a question for Ms. Gee will be entered into a random drawing for a Biggest Loser DVD or book and Extra Gum! There will 10 winners with 1 prize per winner. Sorry, this is just for members in the US. If you don't live in the US you are still welcome to post a question, but you will not be entered into the drawing. The drawing will take place January 15.

Here's how it works.. Between now and Jan 14 you can reply to this post with your question. Please only post questions for Ms. Gee, as any other posts or discussions will be deleted. You are welcome to post more than one question :) On January 15, Ms. Gee will be here to answer your questions!

This promotion is part of Extra Gum's Reveal a New You and you can learn more about it at http://www.gumisgood.com/extrarevealnewyou/

Thanks for participating, and we're looking forward to your questions!

Molly's responses consist of general advice and information for forum viewers. Her answers should not replace advice from a personal registered dietician or your physician. Always consult your physician before making any major changes to your diet or fitness regimes.

Shay
01-08-2008, 07:10 AM
Good morning, Ms. Gee. Thank you for taking the time out to answer my question. I am looking ahead to when I each my ultimate goal weight of 120. I'm 4'11". I have read and seen so many different formulas for how to determine how many calories I would need to maintain my weight. I get a headache from trying to figure it out. Can you please tell me how many calories could I intake on a daily basis to maintain a weight of 120 lbs? Thank you.

Shay
01-08-2008, 07:11 AM
Oops--I have another one.

There was a question on The Biggest Loser forum in relation to water. Does water intake truly affect your metabolism? Thanks again.

ckatgo
01-08-2008, 07:42 AM
Good Day Ms. Gee. Boy what a wonderful opportunity you are giving us here and I am very grateful for your time.

I want to put an end to the debate once and for all, I realize the research on this is sketchy at best according to who you talk to. So I would like it cleared up once and for all, Low carb or low fat? Or right fat, right carb? Or is it really a matter of calories in VS calories out? When it comes to weight loss, what IS the answer?

And if it is as simple as calories in VS calories out, like the first questioner I too would like to know how does someone go about figuring that out? I would be happy to eat what ever calories work, or just eat low carb or low fat if I had the confusion cleared up!!!

Thank you so very much for your time!

GirlyGirlSebas
01-08-2008, 07:58 AM
Ms Gee, Thank you for your time!

I am 43 years old and in surgical menopause. I've also been diagnosed as insulin resistant. Following the Southbeach diet has allowed me to lose weight, however, I lose very slowly. I do periodically track my calories and tend to fall within 1200-1500 per day. Is there any safe way I can increase my weight loss? Can insulin resistance be reversed?

One additional question. I tried many diets before finding one that works well for me. There is an ongoing debate here on 3FC regarding whether it matters what type of calories are consumed. For some of us, weight loss seems to be dependent on how much sugar is consumed. For others, weight loss seems to be solely based upon a deficit in the amount of calories consumed versus calories burned. Why do some of us seem to be extra sensitive to sugar intake? Is this just a hormonal situation?

Thank you,
Rhonda

BillBlueEyes
01-08-2008, 08:21 AM
Ms Gee,

How much daily protein is appropriate for a 158 pound, 64 year old, male who is doing resistance exercises 3x per week and walking 7x per week? My DW scorns those who advise me that 1 gram/pound/day is right.

Thanks,

Diva
01-08-2008, 09:26 AM
Good morning, Ms. Gee. Thank you for taking the time out to answer our questions here at 3FC. :)

I am 5'3, 204 lbs (today) and almost 41 yrs old. I have type 2 diabetes, being treated for depression and have asthma. My question is, How many calories, carbs and protein should I be eating every day to lose weight? My goal is 125 lbs. I try to stay active and do 4 to 5 days a week of cardio and strength training.

I've been doing a modified Atkins, but I am allowing the good carbs from fruits & Whole grains, with the occassional potato and I try and drink 100 oz of water daily, but usually do good to get down 60.

Again, thank you very much for taking your time to be here with us.

Hun.e.B
01-08-2008, 09:57 AM
Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions Ms. Gee. My question is: I love my morning mochas and lattes. I make them at home using sugarfree syrups and skim milk. Should I be concerned with the caffeine hampering my weightloss attempts? Would it be smarter to cut them out or limit them?

Thank you again!

melissa73
01-08-2008, 10:18 AM
My question is: Is it healthy to aim for losing 2lbs a week? Is this even possible? I am 34 years old, healthy (although I had my thyroid removed because of thyroid cancer 2 years ago and take synthroid every morning). I am 5'10", medium to large frame and weigh 248lbs. With the right diet and exercise routine I wonder if I can reach my goal weight of 165lbs in 2008 or if that is unrealistic?

kgood2005
01-08-2008, 11:23 AM
Ms. Gee,

I know we are all supposed to drink so much water a day. Is adding something like Crystal lite to water okay or should we just drink plain water to get the most benefit. I don't mind plain water but sometimes it gets boring.

SoulBliss
01-08-2008, 11:39 AM
Ms. Gee, thank you so much for sharing your time and expertise.

I would like to know what your thoughts are in terms of a whole foods vegan diet in terms of health and weight loss. I know that most trainers do not support this as the optimal way to lose weight, but do you as an RD feel it is healthy when planned correctly, long term, not just for weight loss?

Also, is it appropriate for a teenager to follow a well-planned low-carb diet (40 grams or so daily)? My 14 year old daughter's friends are following a low carb diet and I would like to know if ketosis is a safe state for a growing teen.

Thank you!

Utahgirl1982
01-08-2008, 11:48 AM
Ms. Gee.........I want to know what is the best workout routine for someone to do on a daily basis......to lose weight should we be working out every single day or is it more damaging to our bodies if we do that.....also I want to weight lift cause I want to be very very strong.....I am quite strong already but I want to be even stronger.......what is the best weight lifting routine that I could do and what is the max amount of days I should do it. Thanks for taking the time to come to our forum and answer our questions!!!!! Also on TBL how do they lose so much dang weight every week????

MollyGee
01-08-2008, 12:17 PM
I'm excited to help you on your weight management journey. It's those consistent small steps that will result in a healthier lifestyle in 2008. See you on the forum next week.

To your health,

Molly Gee, MEd, RD

Bette k
01-08-2008, 12:48 PM
Molly Gee
Thank you for coming to answer our questions, I have 2 questions.
First I need to lower my cholestrol, especially my tryglycerides. I always thought I ate reasonably well, but is it worth it to switch to the margarines and other foods that claim to reduce cholestrol? I did switch to eating oatmeal for breakfast.
My second question is: I am a Diet pepsi addict. I drink 3-5 cans a day. I have given it up for long periods of time but once I try one again I am back hooked. I know I need to cut back and I am, but do I need to give it up all together? I like te taste and the caffine buzz, I don't drink coffee so it is my pick me up.

jlbake
01-08-2008, 12:50 PM
Ms. Gee--Thank you so much for your time and support.

I've been reading Jillian Michael's book Winning by Losing. My results from the metabolism test in the book say that I'm a Balanced Oxidizer and should balance my food intake with 40% Carbs, 30% Protein, & 30% Fat.

I struggle with keeping my fats balanced. They either seem too high or too low. What kinds of good fats (with examples of specific foods) should I be trying to include in my diet and what bad fats/foods should I avoid?

I need to lose about 55 lbs. I have heard that the two best ways to lose weight are either a low-fat diet or a low-carb diet. Can I really lose weight on a balanced diet?

Thanks!

Amberelise
01-08-2008, 01:17 PM
I have 3 questions. Please feel free to answer any or all. Thank-you.

First, I have two broad questions:

1.) I've read conflicting studies about caffeine relating to daily water consumption. Some studies suggest that you have to drink additional water if you have, for example, a morning coffee because caffeine dehydrates you. Later studies claimed this to not be the case. Which is it? Can I count my morning tea or coffee toward my water intake?

2.) I've read conflicting studies about 6 small meals a day versus 3 larger meals. Initially I read that 6 smaller meals a day will keep my metabolism going all day long. About two weeks ago I read that there is no indication that is the case and, in fact, those who eat three larger daily meals tend to eat fewer calories and their metabolism is the same. Which is it?

A somewhat more personal question, but may relate to many:

1.) I currently take coumadin (warfarin) and am restricted regarding my Vitamkin K intake. I have conflicting lists regarding what vegetables and other items are high in Vitamin K and which ones are not. For the most part, I have been avoiding anything green. However, some non-green items have me confused. For example, V8 does not list Vitamin K on its can labels, can I drink it? Can I have black beans and kidney beans? I've read that mustard is a no-no, is it? I know that green-tea is out, what about red or black tea? Any help is appreciated.

Thank-you again!

bradleys mom
01-08-2008, 01:35 PM
Ms. Gee,

I often use frozen chicken for my lean protein. I notice there is an amount of sodium in the chicken and wonder if that could be contributing to my water retention. Even though it is more expensive, how much better is fresh chicken vs. frozen?

Chestnutlass
01-08-2008, 02:18 PM
My question is regarding sugar substitutes. I have seen reports that these can actually cause cravings and therefore weight gain...is this true? (BTW I sure hope not!)

Mary

Spinymouse
01-08-2008, 02:44 PM
Dear Ms. Gee,

Do you recommend vitamins/minerals/herbs/enzymes or other supplements for those on weight-loss diets? If so, which? Conversely, are there any supplements that you feel are harmful and should be avoided?

Thank you,
Jo

sun kissed
01-08-2008, 04:12 PM
Thank you so much for your time, dedication, and hard work in this field. I have a similar question to one already posted, but does putting crystal light in water really make it so that you shouldn't count it as water intake? Although trying to cut back, I drink about 60oz of water with crystal light in it a day along with about ten ounces of plain water. I feel great!
Regardless, I'd like to know! Thanks again!

YWeight
01-08-2008, 05:11 PM
Hello....
My question concerns Water vs. a "Detox" diet and a detoxification process. Is drinking a recommended amount of water as beneficial as a detox diet or detoxification process? Why or Why not? If you are in favor of the detox, can you recomend a few and point me in the direction of doing more research on them?

onmywayhalfofmein08
01-08-2008, 05:35 PM
Hello Ms. Gee,
Like the other posters before me, I want to thank you for taking the time to help answer some of our questions.
#1. When a person has good sucess and loses some weight, then "falls of the wagon" and gains it back, why is it that is is sometimes harder to lose the same weight again less than a year later? I assume it must have something to do with losing muscle mass.
#2. Is it possible to gain 3-5 lbs of fat in a weekend, or is that mostly water gain in that short of a time? For example, you do great on your diet all week and splurge a little over the weekend. The scale is up 5 lbs on Monday and by the following Friday it is only back down by 2. Did you really gain 5 lbs of fat or just 5 lbs of water?
Thanks again and have a great day!

bbybear712
01-08-2008, 07:49 PM
hello Ms. Gee, I was wondering if you could tell me is it okay to have a cheat day once a week (obviously without going over the top) when your getting ready to lose a lot of weight? or should you just restrict yourself becasue there unhealthy foods any? What would that do to the body?

Antares
01-08-2008, 10:30 PM
Hello Molly Gee, thank you for taking this time to answer some of our questions. As a very obese individual who hates going out into public, I tend to eat a lot of fast food through the drive-thru. I was wonder what you think about the salads and chicken that fast food places offer as far as nutrition goes. I assume it's quite a bit better than a greasy cheeseburger, but how do they compare to those Salads-In-A-Bag in the grocery store, or just buying lettuce and so forth and tossing it all together.

Also, I love Ranch dressing with my salads. Is using regular ranch on a salad basically ruining a health meal, or is that consider nutritionally sound?

Thank you for all your great work! I love the Biggest Loser and I think everyone working with the show are doing a great job.

kaplods
01-08-2008, 10:46 PM
Dear Ms. Gee,

I have arthritis, fibromyalgia, and autoimmune disease and recently found out that I cannot take NSAIDs such as ibuprofen or even aspirin, because they cause me breathing difficulties and asthma symptons. I've started taking fish oil supplements instead, and am interested in an anti-inflammatory diet, but some of the advice I've read is contradictory. What would you recommend in this regard, and what are the best resources for this information?

Thank you,

goalsuccess
01-08-2008, 11:19 PM
Though I've removed the weight I wanted to, when I gain, I find it MUCH harder to get the weight off--it's much, much slower. What can I do beyond going back to my original weight loss plan to get the couple pounds I gain on a relapse off more quickly?

Angie
01-08-2008, 11:53 PM
Ms Gee,

I am hoping you can answer a question about nutrition for children. My 3 year old eats the same foods we do, and lately we've been limiting carbs to whole grains only, trying to avoid white flour, and eating less fat in general. We eat lots of fruits, veggies and lean proteins (occasional beef or pork). He is lactose intolerant, so his dairy is limited to the (few) lactose free products we can find...usually milk and cheese.

Is this a suitable diet for a growing child, or should I make a special effort to provide him with more fat in his diet, or a certain number of calories, etc per day?

TatianaHdz
01-09-2008, 12:51 AM
Hi Ms. Gee! I was wondering what the appropriate number of calories would be for me to lose at a healthy rate? I am a 28 year old woman who weighs 224 pounds, and I am trying to exercise at least 30 minutes, 6 days per week as well as weights 3 times per week. I have read that I should be eating anywhere from 1200 to 2400 to lose, so I'd appreciate your advice. Thanks!!!

practiceliving
01-09-2008, 12:52 AM
Hi Ms. Gee, thanks so much for taking the time to help us out!

I have two questions for you:

1) I'm an asthmatic, and I'm always seeking to manage my asthma better. Is there anything I can do nutritionally to manage it, such as avoiding or adding in particular foods?

2) How do you feel about packaged breakfast foods like Oatmeal to Go? I keep them in the cupboards for days that I don't have time to make breakfast; am I right that it's better to have something like an Oatmeal to Go bar and a piece of fruit than no breakfast at all?

Daimere
01-09-2008, 09:28 AM
Ms. Gee, thank you for your time and support.

I have a quite few questions about 5 months of worth: I'm a recovering veggie hater and I tend to have one veggie(broccolli) almost everyday either alone or with other veggies. Is it that bad not to have a diverse array of veggies?

Should you just drink the recommended 8 glasses of water or half your weight in water? I'm so confused on what is the best amount of water. One book says this and one book says this.

I've noticed that I do not ingest alot of fat. Is this bad? I tend to eat almonds with breakfast and most the lean protien I eat is under 5 grams of fat. I try to add healthy fats into my food in a later meal.

I know I heard that the best way to gain muscle is to drink cow's milk but when I started this journey I switched to soy milk. I really love drinking soy milk and I don't want to switch back but I want to have optimal muscle gains. Will soy milk effect muscle gains that much?

Speaking of soy, I've heard that soy is bad for you and good for you. Can you clear the air about soy?

Thank you thank you so much. I have pondered these questions long and hard for many hours before.

Bev
01-09-2008, 11:09 PM
Ms. Gee,

Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions.

1. I would like to lose 25 lbs but nothing has been working. How many calories should I be eatting? I am 5'4, weigh 170lbs. I also workout 4-5 days a week about 45 minutes each time.

2. If you are trying to lose weight should most of our workouts be cardio? I do mostly workouts that incorporate both weights and cardio.

thanks again.

maysmav
01-10-2008, 09:42 AM
Like everyone else, thank you for taking your time to help us out. I too, like so many others, have tried just about everything, but the one thing that seemed to help me most was counting my fat grams. (I watch my calorie and carb intake somewhat as well)
My question though is how much? I am 5'7" and currently weigh over 300. I was told at one time to keep them as low as I could but not to go over 30 grams per day. Another said not over 20 grams, but at least 10 per day. What is the right answer?
Thanks again

Fashion Nelle
01-10-2008, 01:16 PM
MS. Gee, Thanks for giving us this oppurtunity. I have 2 questions...
1. Is it true that writing down what you eat in a daily journal is helpful to weight loss?

2. Can you work out 5 days a week at least 35 minutes and still lose weight or should you exercise more for longer periods of time?

Pinkadot
01-10-2008, 01:58 PM
Ms. Gee - Thank you for giving us the chance to ask a nutritionist!

Does sodium really have any effect on weight loss aside from water retention?

beliter
01-10-2008, 08:29 PM
Ms.Gee,
i drink very little liquid & water less than that.I'm never thirsty,even after exercising.My daily liquid intake would probably fill up a 24 oz (diet)coke bottle.
Could there be something wrong?I did find a sugar free drink mix that you add to bottled water that I like,will that be just as good as plain water?
thanks

Frozen Peach
01-11-2008, 12:02 AM
Thanks for taking the time to answer questions here:

1. Are the Walk Away The Pounds exercises adequate for weight loss?

2. Can Lisinopril and Zoloft (bp meds and depression meds) hinder weight loss?

3. Just how many hours per day do they exercise when on the Biggest Loser?

4. Do they prepare their own meals? Do their own laundry?

5. Can you recommend a vitamin regimen for the average female of 42?

Thanks!

(I realize you are a nutritionist but we were told we could ask questions about Biggest Loser too ;) )

pouncermom
01-11-2008, 08:25 AM
Ms. Gee, I travel for work. My first travel dates are January 23-26. Normally (pre-dieting), I would use that (traveling) as an excuse to pig out. Order room service, eat WAY more than I should, get dessert, etc.
Now, I am terrified to travel later this month as I just started a new way of life on 1/2/08, and have been doing well.
What tips/tricks can I use when traveling to keep me focused on what I SHOULD do, instead of what I HAVE DONE in the past?
Thank you!
JULIE

Daimere
01-11-2008, 09:07 AM
Hello, Ms. Gee, I have one more question. I just realized there is nutra sweet in FiberOne and I'm allergic. What is another high in fiber cereal that doesn't contain nutra sweet?

GetSmart
01-11-2008, 10:20 AM
Hi Ms. Gee. Thank you so much for taking the time to answer questions. My question is this: I just started eating the Smart Start cereals. Is there another less expensive cereal out there that can do the same thing/is just as good for me? I'm a college student, so I'm kind of on limited funds.

Donna72664
01-11-2008, 10:54 AM
Ms. Gee, It is so kind of you to do this for us here.

My question has to do with vitamins. My husband and I are in our early 60's and we take a mulivitamin and mineral supplement. Is there any advantage to taking the ones that are on the market that are directed "Just for Women" or "Just for Men"?
We also take glucosamine/chondroitin, calcium, and a fish oil supplement.
Anything you can tell us will sure be a big help.
Thank you! DONNA

Shay
01-11-2008, 12:53 PM
Ms. Gee,
I believe this is my third question :)! I am terrible at taking pills but I think its important to take some type of multivitamin and/or calcium pill. As a 35 year old woman are there certain types of pills I must take on a daily basis? The least amount the better and I have a terrible time with swallowing pills also. Thanks.

One Fluffy Chick
01-11-2008, 05:46 PM
Hello Ms. Gee...
Thank you very much for your time. I have a few questions.

1. I know that everyone plateaus during the weight loss process, but why do we plateau and what is the best way to jumpstart the weight loss again? Some suggest eating more calories and exercising less, while others suggest exercising more and eating fewer calories, while others say drink more water and just add lemon slices.

2. I am not following a specific diet plan, but am losing weight (as well as lowering my cholesterol and blood pressure) by following the government's RDAs for macronutrients (proteins, fats, carbs). When I add exercise (1hr cardio 2X's, 2hrs of belly dance 1-2X's, 1hr strength training 2X's / week), I lose less weight or no weight at all. Do I need to add more calories in a certain proportion, exercise less or some combination of both?

3. I know this a strange question, and I'm not sure how to word it, but does the body have a natural weight? Or, in other words, if you ingested and expended the exact same number of calories daily, what would happen to your body / metabolism?

Again, thanks in advance for your time and for your informative responses.

Sonja

jlbake
01-12-2008, 09:35 PM
Ms. Gee,

A couple more questions--
I've heard some people say that to really lose weight, you have to "eat clean" meaning all natural foods, no sugar, etc. I know that we need to eat real foods for nutrients, but is it necessary to cut out all sugar, white flour, etc?
Can I still lose weight while allowing those things in moderation while fitting it into my calories?

On the last Biggest Loser, Bob said it's okay to eat dessert once a week. Is it okay to space that out with just a little bit each day?

Thanks!

CountingDown
01-12-2008, 09:47 PM
Ms. Gee,
Thank you for your time. It is much appreciated. I am a vegetarian, who counts calories. I currently aim for 1400 calories per day. I try to aim for a 40/30/30 (carbs/protein/fat) ratio. Is this enough protein? I eat 6 small meals each day, and try to balance each meal with carbs, fat and protein. Thus, I really don't eat a lot of protein in any one meal.

I am 50 years old, I try to exercise 30-60 minutes each day and include weights/ resistance training and cardio (walking and aerobic dance). My job is fairly sedentary, working on a computer most of the day.

hushkat
01-12-2008, 09:50 PM
Ms Gee,

This question has plagued me for years, and I'd like answer from an expert. When someone loses weight, were does it go? I mean, how is the weight being removed? Are we flushing it away? Sweating it away? Or do people simply shrink?

cuteladybugs
01-12-2008, 11:27 PM
Thank you Ms. Gee for answering our questions!

Sometimes I think I eat just to have something in my mouth, so I bought sugar-free gum for times like that. Are there any negative reasons to chewing gum instead of reaching for snack food?

Thank you!
Karen

cuteladybugs
01-12-2008, 11:30 PM
Oops! I thought of another question as soon as I hit submit.

Jillian said that other day that she eats one peanut butter cup every day. Boy would I love to eat PB cups every day!! Is this a good idea for someone trying to lose weight? Or should I save this as a reward for reaching mini-goals?

Thanks again!
Karen

ckatgo
01-13-2008, 08:51 AM
I have another question, if you don't mind....

I am currently going to take a class in nutrition this semster and I find myself really looking forward to it. I was wondering (and you can PM me with the answer if you wish) what is it like to be a registered dietician? I don't hear good things as far as pay and stuff, but I am really liking the idea of the class and may consider a career change...

Thanks!

Shay
01-13-2008, 09:18 AM
Ms. Gee,
Another question, there is so much information out about what's good for you and what's not. It goes a bit back and forth too. Anyways, what's the truth about sugar substitutes? I haven't used real sugar in years but I generally use Splenda or Equal. Thanks.

ceegee
01-14-2008, 02:07 PM
Hi Ms. Gee!

Regarding diet sodas....as long as you are drinking plenty of water and have a diet soda as a "treat", is that okay?

Thanks so much!

dixied
01-14-2008, 02:23 PM
Ms. Gee -

Thank you for taking time to answer our questions.

1. What's the best way to break an addiction to diet sodas? Cold turkey or a gradual decline in consumption?

2. I currently take B-12, Calcium, and Fish Oil supplements, as well as a regular multi-vitamin. Is this too much of a good thing? The reasoning behind those particular supplements is that there have been studies suggsting that they ease PMS symptoms. It does seem to work for me, but are there others I should consider. Or foods that I could add to lessen my PMS? (besides chocolate ;))

SoulBliss
01-14-2008, 02:42 PM
What do you think of stevia and erythritol as sweeteners, Ms. Gee?

Thanks again! I can't wait to read all the answers!

mothermavis
01-14-2008, 07:06 PM
Ms Gee,

What would your ideal day food plan look like?(for weight loss)

Do you recommend supplements or not?

Thank You!

bonnie R
01-14-2008, 07:42 PM
Ms. Gee
I have 2 questions. Question one is can a person drink to much water? I drink between 72 to 160 ounces a day. My husband says this is way to much. Also I don't understand why the more veggies and fruits I eat the more problem I have with being constipated. So my second question is should I eat more or less fruits and veggies?

xJox
01-15-2008, 12:22 AM
My question, are lean meats (like burger) ok if fixed on a grill such as the GF?

MaggieJ
01-15-2008, 11:07 PM
Hi Ms. Gee! Taking in enough water throughout the day is a challenge for me. I occasionally drink seltzer water in place of plain water. My husband insists this is not a good substitute. Does the body take in carbonated water any differently than plain water?

MollyGee
01-16-2008, 12:40 PM
Happy New You Year!

I have been so impressed by your many thoughtful questions which really show me how hard you are working to reach and maintain a healthy weight. There is no easy solution and one size does not fit all.

I do not have any magic answers but I can:
• provide information based on science
• help you problem solve and consider possible options/choices
• encourage you to take one day at a time for your health’s sake

I’d suggest that you focus on habit management. Some experts believe that it takes 21 days to modify habits. So, hang in there and be consistent with any changes you are making for about 3 weeks before you say “it didn’t work” for me.

My number one suggestion is to start keeping a food journal. How can you map out your eating and activity plan if you don’t know what you are actually doing? Grab a favorite note pad and begin writing down what you eat and drink plus your activity minutes. Weigh and measure everything and note the time you’re eating and exercising. Reveal a new you on this journey to a happier, healthier lifestyle.

I’m excited to hear about your journey in the coming weeks.

To your health,

Molly Gee, MEd, RD

MollyGee
01-16-2008, 12:58 PM
Thank you so much for your time, dedication, and hard work in this field. I have a similar question to one already posted, but does putting crystal light in water really make it so that you shouldn't count it as water intake? Although trying to cut back, I drink about 60oz of water with crystal light in it a day along with about ten ounces of plain water. I feel great!
Regardless, I'd like to know! Thanks again!

Ms. Gee, thank you for your time and support.

Should you just drink the recommended 8 glasses of water or half your weight in water? I'm so confused on what is the best amount of water. One book says this and one book says this.

Thank you thank you so much. I have pondered these questions long and hard for many hours before.

Ms. Gee,

I know we are all supposed to drink so much water a day. Is adding something like Crystal lite to water okay or should we just drink plain water to get the most benefit. I don't mind plain water but sometimes it gets boring.

Thanks to Shay, Daimere, Kgood2005, Sun Kissed, Beliter and others who posted questions about water, weight loss and metabolism and flavorings for water.

Water is the best way to quench your thirst; however there’s no real evidence that drinking water causes weight loss by altering your metabolism. Eating foods with a high water content like fruits and vegetables or broth-based soups can help dieters, by increasing the fullness factor.

Researcher Barbara Rolls, PhD has shown that eating high-volume foods like fruits, veggies or soups increases satiety and are lower in calories resulting in weight loss.

Start each meal with water or a low calorie beverage and you should feel full faster. Try a twist of lemon or lime or mixing some sugar free drink mix to water can add some variety while keeping you hydrated. Don’t wait until you are thirsty to drink some water, your body will thank you!

MollyGee
01-16-2008, 01:06 PM
I want to know what is the best workout routine for someone to do on a daily basis......to lose weight should we be working out every single day or is it more damaging to our bodies if we do that...

Thanks for taking the time to answer questions here:

1. Are the Walk Away The Pounds exercises adequate for weight loss?

UtahGirl1082, Frozen Peach and everyone managing your weight, the best daily workout routine is one that you will actually do. The 2005 Dietary Guidelines suggest that you should be physically active most days of the week with 30–90 minutes of moderate intensity activity like brisk walking or cardio. Strength training is important to help reduce muscle mass loss as you are dropping those pounds. “Walk Away the Pounds” video is one of my personal favorites and my clients love it too especially when the weather keeps you indoors. Lifestyle activity minutes like taking the stairs and doing yard work also count.

Just getting started on revealing a new you is the hardest part. Here’s a little incentive to help you reach your diet and weight management goals: Extra gum is offering you a chance to win $5,000.The winner can decide how to spend the money, whether it’s for a new wardrobe, a home fitness center or something else that can help you achieve weight management success. You can sign up at to GumIsGood . com to enter for a chance to win.

Please remember that if you have any medical condition, check with your physician before starting any exercise program. Physical activity is the best predictor of weight loss maintenance. Move it to lose it!

MollyGee
01-16-2008, 01:08 PM
I want to put an end to the debate once and for all, I realize the research on this is sketchy at best according to who you talk to. So I would like it cleared up once and for all, Low carb or low fat? Or right fat, right carb? Or is it really a matter of calories in VS calories out? When it comes to weight loss, what IS the answer?

Ckatgo, there is no magic prescription for macronutrients to lose weight. Healthful ranges for carbohydrates, proteins and fats have been established by the Institute of Medicine.

Energy balance continues to be the answer. A general rule is to reduce your calories by ~ 500 calories per day and to kick up your physical activity. This adjustment could result in a 1 lb weight loss per week. Keep in mind that 1 gram (1/28 of oz) of fat contains 9 calories while 1 gram of protein and carbohydrate contain 4 calories.

dwnszme
01-16-2008, 01:10 PM
Hi MollyGee, My question is how do I know how much I need of each, calories, fat, carbs and protein? I am 5'2 and weigh 190 but I am also breastfeeding so I'm not sure how many additional calories I need. Please help! Thanks.

MollyGee
01-16-2008, 01:13 PM
Thank you Ms. Gee for answering our questions!

Sometimes I think I eat just to have something in my mouth, so I bought sugar-free gum for times like that. Are there any negative reasons to chewing gum instead of reaching for snack food?

Thank you!
Karen

Karen asked about using sugar-free gum instead of reaching for a snack food. This is a great example how you can reshape your snacking habits. Some experts believe it takes 21 days to create or change a habit. To reduce your daily calorie intake for the next three weeks, try replacing that afternoon cookie attack with a five calorie stick of gum compared to the 140 calories in two small cookies.

You may have noticed that last night, contestants on “The Biggest Loser” are also chewing five calorie Extra sugar-free gum to control calorie intake, avoid mindless munching and get an edge over their competition.

MollyGee
01-16-2008, 01:15 PM
Ms. Gee--Thank you so much for your time and support.

I've been reading Jillian Michael's book Winning by Losing. My results from the metabolism test in the book say that I'm a Balanced Oxidizer and should balance my food intake with 40% Carbs, 30% Protein, & 30% Fat.

I struggle with keeping my fats balanced. They either seem too high or too low. What kinds of good fats (with examples of specific foods) should I be trying to include in my diet and what bad fats/foods should I avoid?

I need to lose about 55 lbs. I have heard that the two best ways to lose weight are either a low-fat diet or a low-carb diet. Can I really lose weight on a balanced diet?

Thanks!

Jen, a balanced diet is the best way to lose weight. A range of 20 -35% of calories may come from fats. Your question about balancing fats is best answered with the guidelines from American Heart Association and the Food Guide Pyramid. Focus on keeping bad saturated fats (from animal sources and solid at room temperature) to ≤ than 7% of your calories. These fats increase the bad cholesterol (LDL) and may lead to heart disease.

Good fats include monounsaturated fat (found in olive, canola and peanut oils, almonds and avocados) and polyunsaturated fat (found in safflower, sesame, soy, corn and sunflower-seed oils and nuts). They help to lower blood cholesterol levels when used to replace other fats in your diet to help your heart,

MollyGee
01-16-2008, 01:17 PM
Hello Molly Gee, thank you for taking this time to answer some of our questions. As a very obese individual who hates going out into public, I tend to eat a lot of fast food through the drive-thru. I was wonder what you think about the salads and chicken that fast food places offer as far as nutrition goes. I assume it's quite a bit better than a greasy cheeseburger, but how do they compare to those Salads-In-A-Bag in the grocery store, or just buying lettuce and so forth and tossing it all together.

Also, I love Ranch dressing with my salads. Is using regular ranch on a salad basically ruining a health meal, or is that consider nutritionally sound?

Thank you for all your great work! I love the Biggest Loser and I think everyone working with the show are doing a great job.

Antares, quick serve restaurants provide many healthful menu options including salads. Control the salad dressing to keep calories lower. Use a “diet” dressing on the side or make your own by adding a tangy balsamic vinegar to your favorite Ranch dressing. You’ll use much less. Congratulations for including salads in your eating plan.

MollyGee
01-16-2008, 01:23 PM
hello Ms. Gee, I was wondering if you could tell me is it okay to have a cheat day once a week (obviously without going over the top) when your getting ready to lose a lot of weight? or should you just restrict yourself becasue there unhealthy foods any? What would that do to the body?

On the last Biggest Loser, Bob said it's okay to eat dessert once a week. Is it okay to space that out with just a little bit each day?

Thanks!

Jillian said that other day that she eats one peanut butter cup every day. Boy would I love to eat PB cups every day!! Is this a good idea for someone trying to lose weight? Or should I save this as a reward for reaching mini-goals?

Thanks again!
Karen

Bbybear712, Jen, Karen and others, losing weight shouldn’t be a prison sentence. “Eating clean” or eliminating sugar or processed foods is not the answer to losing weight. It goes back to energy balance in the calories found in foods we eat and burning calories in physical activity. Each person has his or her favorite foods. I always ask my clients about their favorite foods and make sure that it’s included in their eating plan.

Moderation can certainly mean a small sweet (1 chocolate peanut butter cup = 45 calories) each day like Jillian enjoys. Doesn’t she look great? She plans for this treat each day.

Try ending each meal with a five calorie piece of chewing gum. I encourage all of my patients to chew gum as a low-calorie alternative to high-calorie snacks and a diversion to help avoid those unwanted calories associated with “mindless munching. Studies show chewing gum can be a tool to help you control appetite and reduce snacking; helping you to decrease your calorie intake over time and help reshape your lifestyle.

MollyGee
01-16-2008, 01:26 PM
Ms. Gee, I travel for work. My first travel dates are January 23-26. Normally (pre-dieting), I would use that (traveling) as an excuse to pig out. Order room service, eat WAY more than I should, get dessert, etc.
Now, I am terrified to travel later this month as I just started a new way of life on 1/2/08, and have been doing well.
What tips/tricks can I use when traveling to keep me focused on what I SHOULD do, instead of what I HAVE DONE in the past?
Thank you!
JULIE

Pouncermom, old habits are hard to break! Staying on track when traveling is tricky. Pick one thing you’d like to change like not exercising when you are out of town. Think of all the possible options to incorporate some activity. Enlist the help of a coworker to take a 10 minute walk during a lunch or a meeting break. Sneak in a couple of these breaks and now you are exercising while on the road.

Good luck!

ckatgo
01-16-2008, 01:28 PM
Thank you so very much for answering our questions, you have no idea the level of pain you have taken me out of in my life and the years I have spent looking for the answer! So, following what you say it is all about calories in VS calories out!!! The term, "energy balance" is a little confusing to me. That is such good news!!! Bless you! :carrot:

What would you advise for people such as myself with special dental work that can't chew gum? (I love the idea, by the way!!)

MollyGee
01-16-2008, 01:29 PM
Dear Ms. Gee,

Do you recommend vitamins/minerals/herbs/enzymes or other supplements for those on weight-loss diets? If so, which? Conversely, are there any supplements that you feel are harmful and should be avoided?

Thank you,
Jo

Ms. Gee,
I believe this is my third question :)! I am terrible at taking pills but I think its important to take some type of multivitamin and/or calcium pill. As a 35 year old woman are there certain types of pills I must take on a daily basis? The least amount the better and I have a terrible time with swallowing pills also. Thanks.

Jo and Shay your question about using supplements while on a weight-loss diet is so important. Generally, I suggest taking a multi vitamin and mineral supplement while trying to lose weight. Cutting back calories may mean missing some key micronutrients.

For women, a calcium supplement with vitamin D is recommended. With most things, more is not necessarily better. Don’t take mega doses of any supplement because of potential harmful build up in your body and possible interference with prescribed medications. Keep you MD informed of any supplements you are taking for your health’s sake.

Suzanne 3FC
01-16-2008, 10:58 PM
Ms. Gee, thank you so much! We've really enjoyed and appreciated the time you took to answer our questions, and I'm sure we all learned a few things :)

Members - I'll post a separate thread to announce the winners of the drawing. Please check for a new sticky because Ms. Gee will return next week to answer even more of your questions! Put your thinking caps on :carrot: