Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 01-07-2008, 06:45 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 350/215/180ish

Height: 5'6

Default Anyone still able to drink their coffee??? And more ????

Hey everyone,

I LOVE coffee and I drink it throughout the day. I don't add anything to it like sugar or cream. I like it strong and black

I don't know if I'll be able to drink coffee after my surgery? Do any of you ladies still drink your morning coffee??? If I had to cut down to one cup a day that's fine BUT...if I have to cut it out 100% then I would rather start working on that now because when I go cold turkey me head feels like it's going to fall off....

Now some more questions:

Where are you ladies finding your protein mixes?

Do you notice that your skin seems to more more on the dry side after surgery?

and this one is silly but really how big is a sip???? I keep hearing take little sips. Is a sip 1T or less????

and my last ??? What all did you take to the hospital when you had your operation? You must remember that I have five boys and this will be more like a "spa vaction" to me...LOL!! I know I'm looking forward to actually watching what I want on the TV but what else should I take with me....?

Blessings to you,

Chrissy
FlourGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 10:14 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 270/180/155

Height: 5' 1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourGirl View Post
I don't know if I'll be able to drink coffee after my surgery? Do any of you ladies still drink your morning coffee???
I am 2 1/2 years post-op, and I drink coffee every day. At least one large cup from dunkin donuts, and sometimes I also have an iced coffee on my way to grad school at night! I started drinking it maybe a few months after my surgery. I drink it with sugar-free hazelnut creamer (Coffee Mate) or with regular cream.

Quote:
Where are you ladies finding your protein mixes?
I always get mine at GNC. I am currently working on getting used to them again, after a long hiatus without them. I have Muscle Milk right now and it's not too bad!!

Quote:
Do you notice that your skin seems to more more on the dry side after surgery?
I think that this is primarily because you're drinking less liquids. Also, my incision cites got kind of dry at times too until they were completely healed. Eventually you will get more liquids and this will improve.

Quote:
and this one is silly but really how big is a sip???? I keep hearing take little sips. Is a sip 1T or less????
LOL. I think you'll just figure out for yourself how much you can tolerate. I'd say, just take a small sip, whatever you think that is...and see how you feel. Everyone is different.

Quote:
What all did you take to the hospital when you had your operation?
Hmm. I have to think hard about that one.
I took my little overnight bag with (of course) toothbrush, toothpaste, and other personal care items. Also, I brought my own robe which made me so much more comfortable. It was cute purple plaid and totally my style LOL. I had my surgery in July so I had a really thin robe that was not too "see-through" to wear while I walked the halls. I did a lot of sleeping and TV watching so I can't really think of anything else I brought.
FluffyGirl79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 10:37 PM   #3  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

Thank you for all the info! and for asking really great questions! I am copying and pasting this to my "before surgery" file!

Angela
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 10:05 AM   #4  
Old Cackler

Chrissy!!!! get a grip!!!!! do you have any idea how much coffee peach pit drinks?????

you'll have to LIMIT it directly afterwards. and there IS one consideration - if you drink nothing but coffee with caffeine during the day, you may end up being dehydrated. so make sure to get extra water as well. yes, you'll be in the bathroom a lot.

protein - everyone has their preferences. i like nectar by syntrax, and i get mine from the vitamin shoppe.

dry skin? well, at my age, it's hard to tell if it's AGE or the surgery, but that's why we have moisturizers! i stock up at the bath and body works semi-annual sale and am good to go for a LONG time!

as for what to take to the hospital, there's a sticky at the top of the forum for 'pre-surgery shopping list.' take a look. lots of good suggestions in there.

BREATHE, darlin. you'll be fine! and make sure that, when you get home, all those boys do the heavy lifting for you - enjoy it while it lasts!!!!! and milk it for all it's worth!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 06:12 PM   #5  

Talking

HEY!

flourgirl...i believe i was told to give up coffee....now whether that was from the stomache man or the cardio guy...beats the crap out of me. BUT coffee does irritate my relatively new tiny tummy. so of course i didn't give it up. i tried but the pain and agony was too great. i felt like crap. dead crap. smelly dead crap. road kill dead crap.

so....i drink a cup. ok, fine. i drink a mug. a sensible mug. in the morning. i also drink a cup. ok, fine. i drink a mug. a sensible mug in the afternoon. i use fat free coffeemate.

chocolate and red spaghetti sauce also tends to irritate my stomache. if butter gets added to the list i am throwing myself in front of a truck and calling it a day.

did i give them up? **** NO>

i'm hearin' ya on the spa vacation. i enjoyed doing time in the hospital away from my boys. the hospital even gave me a morphine pump...how damn sweet and considerate was that?

bring your sneakers...you may feel like walking. heck, if they keep you long enough, you may feel like dancin'.

and....yes...my skin got dry. as i lost weight my face fell and i have some wrinkles.....but i look pretty darn good compared to how i used to be and i feel terrific....as long as butter is in my future.

i never did reach the dr's goal weight (they are freakin nuts)...but i am a comfortable average size...still losing a few pounds every now and again and not thinking too much about food...unless someone tells me i can't have it. i feel kind of normal...sorta kinda. all things considered, that is!

you are approved? you have a date?

i wish you all the best!

signed,
brad's wife
ps....i almost forgot....one of the things i missed the most at first, was guzzling water. you really do have to take little sips. it kind of stinks but you get used to it....as long as ya got coffee you can do anything!

Last edited by peach pit; 01-09-2008 at 06:21 PM.
peach pit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 07:44 PM   #6  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

thank you peach pit for the giggles!
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 09:39 AM   #7  
Old Cackler

peachie: your face is NOT wrinkled. and i think it was the cardiologist who told you to lay off the caffeine. remember what happened to you after the surgery?????????
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 02:39 PM   #8  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

Default Coffee Yuck! Tea Good!

I'm sorry, but I'm not a coffee drinker, but I have missed my Chai tea from the very beginning of this WLS journey. I have done everything that I could to figure out some way to be able to have it, but not use the artificial sweeteners.

Here is my solution: No caffeine, a chai tea bag in a 1/2 cup of water and 1/2 cup skim milk and a tablespoon of Monin SF White Chocolate syrup. Monin has splenda, but I'll be darn if I can taste the it. UMMMM Chocolate!!

My sister lasted about one week without her coffee after WLS. She is the strong, black, stand your spoon up in the cup, kind of coffee consumer. No sugar and occ. creamer. She claims that she couldn't go without it because of her headaches!!! I swear since that girl was 18, I don't think that I have seen her without a cup of coffee in her hands! She wonders why she has occasional runs of atrial fib!!!!

Good luck with the coffee thing!
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 08:39 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 350/215/180ish

Height: 5'6

Nanj....your sister and I sound alike with our coffee. I like it strong, hot and black. NO SUGAR!! NO CREAM!! YUCK!!!

Nope, I don't have a date yet. I just went for a chest x-ray this week and a gall bladder ultrasound. On Thursday I also had an EGD.....then that night I got really sick. I think I had touch of the flu...YUCK! I'm better now.

From what I can gather from the Dr.s office I should be having my surgery in the middle of February!! I am READY!!

See ya,

Chrissy
FlourGirl is offline   Reply With Quote