LA Weight Loss - Alternative to LA lite shakes

View Full Version : Alternative to LA lite shakes

Lynx
01-07-2008, 03:47 PM
I thought I would post this since several people in the Losers and Friends Thread said that they were missing their LA lite shakes. I ordered these and have not gotten them yet, but for the price, I say what the heck? Try them since the only cost is $5.00 for shipping and you get 30 shakes. 70 calories each. The assortment includes 7 each of chocolate, vanilla and coffee; and 3 each of pina colada, peanut butter and mixed berry.

Here is the link www.securemeal.com From Andrew Lessman and usually sold on HSN for more.

I typically use one bar a day and then for my other lite I use either a shake or a lite drink. For the bars, I have been using south beach high protein cereal bars (my fav is peanut butter) and I just tried South Beach chocolate fudge meal bars.

Lynn
LAWL franchise center
total lost 62.5 lbs.
Original goal of 50 lbs lost achieved
New goal to lose total of 65 lbs

StevenBensMom
01-07-2008, 03:57 PM
Thanks so much Lynn. I think I saw this on HSN last night, but will check out his site directly. When I stalled for a wee bit that is what the center said was a good thing to do...switch to one bar and one other kind of lite a day and I had to admit I loved doing it. It's kind of like you can have a milkshake (I make mine in the bullet with crushed ice and a splash of ff milk) and a candy bar every day! :dizzy:

Lynx
01-11-2008, 12:12 PM
I got my shipment of shakes. It came really fast. I have tried the Pina Colada so far and I recommend that you try them. I like my shakes thicker so I only used 6 oz of water.
30 shakes for the only the cost of $5.00 shipping.

Lynn
LAWL franchise center
total lost 63 lbs.
Original goal of 50 lbs lost – achieved

StevenBensMom
01-11-2008, 12:48 PM
Thanks Lynn...I ordered mine the other day as well, so hoping they are here soon. I have always taken the vanilla and used crushed ice, water, a splash of milk and a tablespoon of LF PB and mixed it in my Magic Bullet and it is wonderul, kind of like having a pb milkshake for breakfast. For me not a bad way to start the day!:carrot:

WITeresa
01-11-2008, 01:44 PM
Thanks Lynn! I just placed my order... ;) Teresa

angelbretsmom
01-11-2008, 02:06 PM
no fair I tried to order them and it looks like they won't ship to Canada... I really wanted to try them..

Stacie

Jaxons Mama
01-11-2008, 10:38 PM
Thanks, I just ordered some. I miss my lites shake as well. I have been using a control trim shake instead and counting it as a bar, since the bars are equivalent to 1 starch and 1/2 protein, and the control trim shake is equivalent to 1 starch. I figure it is close enough.
THANKS!

dolphn545
01-12-2008, 08:34 AM
I just ordered some. I hope that there is no catch to it though!

traceym1
01-12-2008, 04:12 PM
When you say you add a spash of milk, do you mean 1 c. as a dairy or no water just ice with a little milk and count as just a lite?

tracey

shshshhh
01-13-2008, 04:29 PM
Lynn
I had to call because when I tried to place my order online I got an error message that said there was technical difficulties. The customer service rep I talked to said it was a one time order (I was concerned cause a lot of times when you order a trial or sample pack, it automatically ships another one after the initial time period for a regular price) but she verified that it was indeed a one time trial.

Do you use these in place of lites? I am on a program without lites and when I use the lunas (doing a md experiment of adding soy to see if i can tolerate it) I just drop down to the next lower color plan.

Thanks for the tip. You are right, $5 shipping is a good deal for 30 shakes.
Roberta

Lynx
01-13-2008, 05:25 PM
Hi Roberta,
Yes, I use them in place of lite shakes. When you use lites, you have a choice of using 2 bars a day or substituting a lite shake or lite drink in lieu of a bar.
For many months now, I don't remember exactly how long, I have using one bar a day and then either a lite shake or a lite drink for the other one.

This was a suggestion I saw sometime ago to speed up weight loss and I am a slow loser anyway so it makes sense to me to do this. I also know that once I am in maintenance I will be only allowed one bar.
In case you missed it in other of my posts, I have switched away from LAWL bars and I am using South Beach cereal bars (peanut butter), lunas or Advantage bars instead. They are lower in calories, sugar and cost. I am taking what is left of my pre-purchased lites in the form of lite shakes or drinks. I know I am not getting my true monies worth, but I have been moving down the scale this way and that is what is ultimately important to me. I only have 6 "lites" left to pick up.

Lynn
LAWL franchise center
total lost 63 lbs.

JLem311
01-13-2008, 06:28 PM
thanks for the tip on these shakes, lynn! i haven't used the LA shakes this time around..i think i had a few when i started my first time. this will be a great alternative to 2 bars a day and cut down on my cost of bars too. and the price is pretty great as well! awesome find!

shshshhh
01-13-2008, 06:43 PM
Thanks, Lynn. I do know that a lot of folks substitute Lunas and SB bars. I have not tried the SB bars or atkins ones but since you and Dan rave about the SB cerealbars , think I will buy a couple this week. Will check to see if the advantage ones are whey or soy. Still searching for a whey bar that I can use.

My weight loss has slowed to a crawl and I think it is because of the lunas, was going to stick to food, but it is nice to know I will have the shakes to stick in there too. So far as long as i stick to the soy at least 4 hours after my thyroid meds and only do them a couple of days a week, the soy has been ok.

Love these boards, so much great information.

Roberta

shshshhh
01-13-2008, 06:46 PM
Hey Lynn, just checked the advantage bars and they are 240 calories, more than the SB, Lunas or Lites. Do you use 1/2 bar? I love the 10g fiber and low sugar though.

Thanks
Roberta

StevenBensMom
01-14-2008, 09:17 AM
When you say you add a spash of milk, do you mean 1 c. as a dairy or no water just ice with a little milk and count as just a lite?

tracey

Tracey - I am sorry - I don't do an exact measurement, but I do not use a cup of skim milk - I just crushed ice, water (mostly water) and then just a little skim milk to make them a little creamier and do just count it as a lite.

I did get my supply in as well and I was expecting little packets, but they came in little jars with scoops. I have just tried the peanut butter and it is ok. I want to try the vanilla and use like I have the lites in the past and see how it tastes. This isn't bad, just a little different from the lites that I am used to.

They did tell me at the center that it was best to use just one bar a day and either a shake, soup, or hot chocolate and it definately did help.

Lynx
01-14-2008, 11:30 AM
Hey Lynn, just checked the advantage bars and they are 240 calories, more than the SB, Lunas or Lites. Do you use 1/2 bar? I love the 10g fiber and low sugar though.

Thanks
Roberta

The Advantage bars that I bought are the Carmel Fudge bars and they are 160 calories, 8 g of fat, but 9 g of fiber and 12 g of protein. They are really quite sweet even though it says just 1 g of sugar.

Lynn
LAWL franchise center
total lost 63 lbs.

shshshhh
01-14-2008, 12:48 PM
Perfect, I will get some today.
Can I use these when I do a TO?
Thanks again Lynn for all your help

Roberta

JerseyMadchen
01-14-2008, 01:17 PM
Thanks Lyn, I just tried it too!

I am a little uneasy too, dolphn, but we'll see! THose who have already tried them are still kicking, so I guess we'll be ok!

Lynx
01-14-2008, 01:49 PM
Perfect, I will get some today.
Can I use these when I do a TO?
Thanks again Lynn for all your help

Roberta

I have never done TO so I am the wrong one to ask on that.

Lynn
LAWL franchise center
total lost 63 lbs.

hollyak24
01-14-2008, 06:03 PM
Hi all, I got these awhile back when someone posted about them. I am using 1/2 scoop coffee flavor and 1/2 scoop either chocolate or vanilla and mixing with hot water. I drink it in the morning on my drive to work. I don't drink regular coffee; this is more along the lines of an international foods instant flavored coffee treat.

Lynx
01-14-2008, 06:50 PM
I just had a scoop of the pina colada, 1/2 cup vanilla low fat yogurt, raspberries mixed in my bullet and it was very good.

Lynn
LAWL franchise center
total lost 63 lbs.

shshshhh
01-14-2008, 07:59 PM
[QUOTE=Lynx;1998080]The Advantage bars that I bought are the Carmel Fudge bars and they are 160 calories, 8 g of fat, but 9 g of fiber and 12 g of protein. They are really quite sweet even though it says just 1 g of sugar. /QUOTE]

Lynn

Couldn't find the Caramel Fudge ones, went to three stores. Should have asked you where you found them.

But, found these: What do you think?

South Beach Chocolate PB Meal Bars
Calories: 180
Fat: 6g.
Fiber:4g
Protein: 15g
Sugar:6g

Also, I found SB High Protein Cereal Bars at Costco: 24 bars for $11.64, that is about 50 cents a bar.

Roberta

Lynx
01-14-2008, 08:25 PM
[QUOTE=Lynx;1998080]The Advantage bars that I bought are the Carmel Fudge bars and they are 160 calories, 8 g of fat, but 9 g of fiber and 12 g of protein. They are really quite sweet even though it says just 1 g of sugar. /QUOTE]

Lynn

Couldn't find the Caramel Fudge ones, went to three stores. Should have asked you where you found them.

But, found these: What do you think?

South Beach Chocolate PB Meal Bars
Calories: 180
Fat: 6g.
Fiber:4g
Protein: 15g
Sugar:6g

Also, I found SB High Protein Cereal Bars at Costco: 24 bars for $11.64, that is about 50 cents a bar.

Roberta

Hi Roberta,
I got the Advantage Carmel Fudge bars at Walmart. It was a box of 5
of them for $5.96. The SB meal bars look to be within the guidelines of what we are looking for.
How much does the membership at Costco cost a year? They are buiding one
near here.

Lynn
LAWL franchise center
total lost 63 lbs.

shshshhh
01-14-2008, 08:34 PM
Lynn

I should have remembered that you had said you never did a TO, sorry about that.
No Wallyworld near here, closest one is about 1 hour away, but I might try Target the next time I go that way.

Costco membership is $50/year. Between there and Trader Joe's I never go anywhere else for groceries. I live in a small apartment and bought a chest freezer for my garage. I buy salmon (fresh) at costco and cut it into portions, freeze it. Buy their sirloin burgers in the freezer and their vegetables are wonderful. The savings on gasoline (usually about 10 cents/gallon cheaper) and other items I can buy in bulk totally saves me so much money it is worth it.

Will lelt you know what I think about the SB Meal bars when I taste them. I want to wait until the shakes get here so I can do one of each a day. Definitely trying your pina colada yogurt fruit thingie in my bullet.

Roberta

Lynx
01-15-2008, 12:14 PM
I just had a scoop of the pina colada, 1/2 cup vanilla low fat yogurt, raspberries mixed in my bullet and it was very good.

I had this combo again today. Since I have not been adding water and am using the vanilla low fat yogurt and the frozen raspberries, it is like a sorbet. I am sure there are endless combinations to try. I don't even miss regular ice cream when
having this as a snack. Highly recommend it.

Lynn
LAWL franchise center
total lost 64 lbs.

WITeresa
01-15-2008, 06:48 PM

Lynn
LAWL franchise center
total lost 63 lbs.

Hey Lynn,

Did you use a cup of raspberries? Were they frozen or fresh? Thanks!

Lynx
01-15-2008, 06:58 PM
Hi Teresa,
I used a cup of frozen and I did not add any ice or water because I like it thick like a sorbet.

I am probably going to PM you. I found out some interesting tidbits about our Center today. Maybe it is old news, but I just heard today. Nothing to worry about though......

Lynn
LAWL franchise center
total lost 64 lbs.

shshshhh
01-17-2008, 01:35 AM
Lynn

Put the SB Meal Bars in the fridge and they were amazing. I went back and got another box. They are relatively new, found them at Fred Meyers (western version of Krogers). Found the Atkins but not the caramel fudge, saw the peanut nouget. Think I will stick with the SB meal bars, and can't wait for my shakes to get here so I can try your yogurt pina colada raspberry smoothie.

Thanks again for the tip about the shakes, a great bargain.

Roberta

LadyZaidi
01-25-2008, 09:13 AM
I got my free sample pack last week and I only paid $4 shipping. 30 shakes for $4! Wow! (Do I sound like an infomercial or what?!) I used the pina colada first, and I'm on to the chocolate. Both very good and definitely worth the price. I'm looking forward to trying all the flavors I received.

JerseyMadchen
01-25-2008, 09:33 AM
Ok, am I the only one who felt a little funky after making one? I made Lynn's recipe but with mixed berries and it did NOT settle well with me. I am afraid to make another one. I didn't have anything else besides that in my stomach though, so maybe that's what did it.

jamiam
01-25-2008, 07:13 PM
I love the South Beach bars too. Peanut Butter and Chocolate too. And I've tried the Luna - they aren't as tasty to me. But the South Beach I can pick up at the grocery store at a considerably less price.

kennedy5672
02-28-2008, 06:44 PM
I placed my order for the Secure Protein Drinks. I thought the promotion was finished but I was able to place my order $5.00 just like you said. I was surprised to see that the websites had recipes for the shakes. If they are good I am going to attempt to get another 30 on my own if I am unable to I will have someone else buy them for me. Some of these recipes sound great for the summer. I love smoothies but it's too cold for me to enjoy in the winter.

Once I get them and try them :smug: I will keep you posted.

bradleys mom
02-28-2008, 10:03 PM
I got these and have only tried the chocolate and PB but I didnt find them to be very appetizing... Maybe just me, but I thought they had a grainy weird taste....

kennedy5672
02-28-2008, 11:47 PM
Hey "bradleysmom" Sounds very appetizing :D I will let you know my thoughts when I taste it.

How long did it take to get yours?

kennedy5672
03-01-2008, 09:11 PM
I am in the process of running out of my LA Lites. I ordered the Secure Meal drinks but need something in the meantime. So I have been reading all your posts about LA Lites and Shakes alternatives. Once I found out which bars were close to the Lites I started to inquire about the different prices.

I found this interesting website that sells all type of supplements including bars. They claim to match or beat competitor prices.
Maybe this link might help someone.
http://www.easypricematch.com/brand.asp?brand=80

KSingleton
01-05-2009, 10:06 AM
I still have my samples of the Secure shakes that I purchased last year. They don't expire until 07302009 so I am going to try them again. Most of the flavors are not even opened. I didn't like them the first time I tried so I am wondering what did any of you do to make them better? My husband is doing the program with me this time, and he is a big sweet eater. I want to make sure that we have healthy alternatives when his sweet tooth kicks in. Full recipes would be great! and do you use 1 scoop or 2 of the mix. Some of the recipes on securemeal.com say to use 2 scoops, but if I do does that change the way we count it on LAWL?

I appreciate your help!

Jenniferk2008
01-06-2009, 12:46 PM
Hello all - I see this is an older thread, but just got bumped up again. Just wanted to post this as I thought it might be helpfull to you all. I was an LA Weight Loss client in Scottdale, and when my center closed and I was only able to get about half my bulk due, I used what I had and did the program on my own. Back in November I found a company that sells similar products to all the LA lites (but from the ones I've ordered so far, taste a lot better!). Cost is a little cheaper than the LA products were in bulk and they have the ready to drink shakes which I always liked WAY better than the powder mixes. I've never had a powder that tasted as good as ready made unless you make it into a smoothie type of thing, but that's not to handy for on the go. If anyone is interested the site is Changing Sizes at http://www.changingsizes.com (http://www.changingsizes.com/)

Good Luck! Jenn

SoulSista
01-08-2009, 12:55 AM
I tried those shakes last year when my center closed and I found them to be very sweet. I tried mixing it with water and with soy milk. I had to ship them back to HSN. I really don't care for splenda so that might have something to do with it too.

SoulSista
01-08-2009, 01:00 AM
Jenn....thanks so much for that website...those bars are good....I used to go to a nutritionist a long time ago that used to sell these bars at a higher price..

Jenniferk2008
01-08-2009, 12:10 PM
SoulSista,

Glad to be of help! I've tried all the different flavors of the Proti bars and so far the carmel cripsy delight is my favorite. I'm also doing the Changing sizes online counseling program and the girls that review my diary and weigh in's are all great - so much more helpfull and encourging than my old LA counslors. They were becoming very critical of everything, and always pushy to buy-buy-buy - especially near the end when they closed on me.

Jenn

Jenn....thanks so much for that website...those bars are good....I used to go to a nutritionist a long time ago that used to sell these bars at a higher price..

SoulSista
01-09-2009, 08:00 PM
I am a regular shopper from HSN. To help everyone save money when paying by credit card place your orders online because they won't charge you tax. If you call the 1-800 number you will be charged. I place all my orders online. Hope this helps someone. I know it helps me.

SoulSista
01-09-2009, 08:08 PM
Jenn,
I will keep the counselors from that site in mind. I loved my counselors at LA and I must say they loved me too. I used to get free items from them all the time without even asking. I guess because I used to go in there and make everyone laugh. I must say towards the end it was gloomy in there but I guess it's hard to have a smile on your face when you know that your going to enter the new year without a job.

SoulSista,

Glad to be of help! I've tried all the different flavors of the Proti bars and so far the carmel cripsy delight is my favorite. I'm also doing the Changing sizes online counseling program and the girls that review my diary and weigh in's are all great - so much more helpfull and encourging than my old LA counslors. They were becoming very critical of everything, and always pushy to buy-buy-buy - especially near the end when they closed on me.

Jenn