Carb Counters - Chick Chat Jan7/08~Jan13/08

View Full Version : Chick Chat Jan7/08~Jan13/08

RobinW
01-07-2008, 11:38 AM
Where is everyone this morning?

Either Im very tired, or the low carb funk is setting in on me. Almost 2 weeks to the day. I took only one potassium tablet yesterday instead of 2, that might be it. I'll take 2 today and see if things get better. Im not liking this at all!!!

Im not hungry today, but I want to eat. kwim? Im holding off lunch until 1pm, and only if I have 1/2 my water drank. Then I'll head home early from the shop and get my cardio in. I have a meeting tonight that will run about 3hrs, so I wont be getting any exercise in then. Well, exercise in restraint....keep from ordering or eating any desserts!

What is your positive thought today? Mine is knowing that I can zip up my jacket without tugging at it to magically make it bigger. Because it is bigger (or Im smaller) :D Positive thoughts ladies :hug:

Have a great day!

CT Cabo Girl
01-07-2008, 12:32 PM
Hi robin, Hi chicks,

Im here at work today, sick as can be.I'm trying to clean the bar and the kitchen, but I can't stand up for more than 15 minutes at a time. I want to go home and go to bed, but it's just not happening. This is the only day DH has with his kids (previous marriage) and I won't let him miss out on being with them.

Hey, question. Have any of you ever noticed that you stop losing during your period? I always stop / gain a pound or 2 (water???) My diet hasn't changed, if anything, I cut back even more. Just wondering if this is just me or if it's typical.

JerseyGirl69
01-07-2008, 12:40 PM
I'm here. Just reveling in a recent weight loss and still high on endorphins from boot camp this morning.

My thought du jour--why is dietary fat a bad word? You hear so much about low fat, and the only reason you do, IMO, is to cut excess calories (and calories aren't such a bad thing either--read my blog), but for me, when my fat and protein are at about 35-45% of my diet and my carbs <25%, I lose.

The need for fat has been concurred by many in the fitness/exercise industry. I wish people would catch on to this.

Yes, yes, I know...the fear of cholesterol and heart stuff. There is such a thing as good fat. I enjoy the fat in cheeses, butter, oil, and protein. I'm cautious to an extent (do not eat red meat more than 2x a week), but otherwise, it's all good....

MelissaJ99
01-07-2008, 12:41 PM
Hi everyone, not much going on here, just deciding if I should do the treadmill, or the total gym. I worked out 2x yesterday so I really want to try for that once again. Hope all is well with you all!

beach bum
01-07-2008, 01:20 PM
Hi Ladies:)

The infection is gone and was able to go outside this morning,now that we're having balming weather .Suppose to go up in the high 50's.

Woke up this morning with crust all over my left eye and now it blurry and I can't see out of it.Going to make this short as I can't see. One of the ladies on another board that I post to said it might be the bacterial infection that went up to my eye. If it doesn't get better I will be back to the doc again.

Robin=Thanks for starting us up this week. That fantastic that your losing inches.I had an awakening when I tried on a pair of pants that doesn't fit anymore.I only got them recently so I must have gained inches instead.How can you be not hungry when you want to eat????? I don't understand.

CT Cabo Girl-Welcome to the board.Sorry your not feeling well,that this time of the year.Hope you feeling better soon. I can't answer you question,as I don't have TOM around anymore.

Jersey Girl-I agree with you fat is not the total enemy,which every believes it to be. We must have fat to live healthy,but the good fats like olive oil,olives & avocados etc But this is a low carb board.To lower carbs we must eat more protein & fats to give us a will balance diet.

Milissa-Welcome to the board.Your doing great working out on your treadmill.I believe exercise to the key to any diet. I lacked last week due to I wasn't feeling well.

Have a great day

Hugs :) BB

aud
01-07-2008, 01:23 PM
'Morning (for me:dizzy:) LC'ers!:hug: & :welcome3: caboCT, jg69 & melissa! Always great to chat with new folks on the LC Journey! We've got an exercise "sticky" here to help track January - I also love to see what others are doing - my goal is to try to do something daily & since I HATE ex - always looking for ideas & motivation, ya know?

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129837

I was going to suggest water, robin . . . but see that you've got that covered. Are ya eating plenty of veggies?

I'm psyched to be on Day 1 . . . starting on a short work week/coming off the holidays was kind of a bust for me last week - altho' I kept up with walking & water and wasn't totally "mindless" on the eating . . . ahhhh . . . a new week . . . a fresh start . . . '08 stretching out ahead of me brimming with possibilities . . . there's my Positive Thought for the day!:carrot:

This lifestyle has done wonders for my cholesterol levels - even eating tons of red meat jg69 - good skyrockets - bad plummets - total # goes down . . . my doc is always amazed. Not sure when the world will get a clue!:D

Off to the night shift early . . . ttyal - Have a GREAT LC WEEK ALL!:carrot:

JerseyGirl69
01-07-2008, 01:28 PM
Hey LC-ers, can anyone suggest a LC snack besides nuts. I'm listening to a neighbor in the cube next door eat something crispy and it's made me wonder what my options could be for that craving.

lilybelle
01-07-2008, 02:27 PM
Hi everyone,

Jersey, I use celery with Laughing Cow Cheese or with Cream cheese to have a crunchy snack. I used to eat pork rinds, but I quickly tired of those.

I'm doing great now with food and exercise. I don't feel hungry, and I'm so glad to finally feel back in control. Now that I'm using the gym religiously, I am drinking more water too.

We had a bad night last night. One of my grandsons had let Lucy (my 1 yr. old Lab out the front door). She came back home literally tore up. We took her to the 24 hr. Emergency Vet Hospital. She underwent general Anesthesia, had her wounds stapled and was kept in the hospital on IV antibiotics and IV pain killers. The vet thinks she was attacked by a Very large animal. I think my neighbors Pit Bull that runs loose is the culprit, but I have no proof. I'm very thankful my dog survived. I was out a fortune in vet bills and have to take her to my regular vet. tomorrow to have him check for infection. She is so sore that she can barely move and has to wear a face shield to keep from licking the wound. Right now I'm furious with the neighbors for letting their dog run loose and not having a fence. That dog is terrozing the neighborhood and had my DD pinned against our house 2 days ago with Lacy crying with the dog barking and growling at her. Plus it runs at me and growls when I try to go check my mail. This dang Podunk town doesn't have an animal control unit or a leash law. GRRRRRRRRRRR.

JerseyGirl69
01-07-2008, 02:32 PM
I'm glad she'll be ok. This morning I was walking my pug and heard a very deep growl. I looked around and couldn't see anything. It might have been a buck, but it reminded me of a bear growl I heard in MN one summer. SCARY. All I could think was poop already and let's run home.

JerseyGyrl
01-07-2008, 02:52 PM
Hey LC-ers, can anyone suggest a LC snack besides nuts. I'm listening to a neighbor in the cube next door eat something crispy and it's made me wonder what my options could be for that craving.

You might want to try making some Cheese Crisps if you want something crunchy.

http://genaw.com/lowcarb/cheese_crisp.html

JerseyGirl69
01-07-2008, 02:59 PM
Great ideas! BTW, do you know that the crispy cheese is an Italian treat? Been around for ages--I just didn't think of it, glad you did. Now, if only I were home to get at that cheese.

BTW, I'm in W NJ, so I bet we're not far from each other.

lynnar
01-07-2008, 03:49 PM
Hello,
I got interrupted at lunch time, so I'm eating a very late lunch which makes my regular salad taste much better.

Whoa Lilly, I can imagine the vet bills. We were in the emergency vet clinic a year so ago when we thought our little dog had gotten into the antifreeze. We never did figure out what made her throw up all over the house, but evidently it wasn't anti-freeze because she was all right. But it was expensive! I would think, even without a lease law, a dog that threatened humans has got to be breaking some law. Any chance of talking to the owners? Maybe they don't know what their dog is up to? We have a chocolate lab as well as a beagle mix and my husband refuses to see that his dog (the lab) has any faults at all. If he had spoiled the kids the way he spoils the dog, we'd be in big trouble.

For New Jersey Girl. Personally, I've given up any worries about dietary fat. My fit day wheel has a scary amount of fat, but I'm trusting that it won't hurt me. As long as I'm losing weight, I'm not thinking about cholesterol either. So far, I've never had a high reading and that's probably genetic as much as anything. So thank you ancestors!

Of course all the years of Weight Watchers take some getting over. I had a real hard time moving from Fat Free Coffeemate to heavy cream, although the cream sure tastes better. But now I've made that move and I've gotten used to regular sour cream, butter and blue cheese dressing. Isn't that the best thing about Atkins?

I don't even miss the snacks most of the time while I'm doing induction. The big test will come when I have a regular social outing with food and drink and leave them alone. We'll see if I can do that, but I think I've proved to myself that I can do better with none then some. Moderation doesn't work well for me, but that's just me.

So this is Day six for me on induction and I've been pretty good. No cheating, hurrah! I used an old Keystick yesterday and it showed positive, Hurrah again! I'm waiting for day 8 to weigh in with the hope that I'll have a big loss and it will motivate me to stay on induction another week.

Actually, except for the social stuff, another week isn't a problem. It's always the social stuff that trips me up. Like when you go out to dinner and order a nice safe salad but can't quite stop your hand from straying into the chips and salsa. Or when you're eating at a friend's house and don't want to turn down every single thing they offer. Or when you go to the movies with your loving husband who insists on getting popcorn and you think, maybe just one taste. Aaahhh!! At least I know what pit falls to watch out for. That's gotta help, right?

lilybelle
01-08-2008, 12:03 AM
Jersey, I didn't know about the cheese crisps, but they sound tasty, so I will give them a try. I'm needing a snack so now sounds like a good time. LOL.

I had a great gym workout. 2.5 hrs. total, but my muscles are screaming at me. Today was my upper body workout and I am not very strong yet, to say the least.

My doggie is doing better this evening. Yes, lynnar, my vet. bill was astronomical and they don't do a payment plan, I had to pay it all out last night. Here's to a month of being poor for me. Good thing I had already bought a ton of LC groceries, so at least we'll have food!

Oh, there is no chance of talking with the neigbors. They have already expressed that "even though our dog looks mean and growls and barks at everyone, it would NEVER bite anyone". I think this is absolute BS and I'm sick of being afraid to walk out in my own darn yard just cause they choose to have an aggressive animal and refuse to put up a dang fence. We're gonna talk with the local police dept. and see what can be done! I did find out that in our state, OK, that a person has to have special insurance to even Own a Pit Bull.

BTW, these are the same neighbors that shot Lucy (my Lab) with a pellet gun for walking into their yard when she was a 3 month old puppy. She defintiely wasn't a threat to noone.

aud
01-08-2008, 03:46 AM
If the pit bull is ever on your property lily - shoot it. (OR shoot it and drag it onto your property.:devil:) Any witnesses to it attacking Poor Lucy? If so, you can take the lovely neighbor to civil court for the vet bill - including future vet bills for the injuries. Thank God the damn thing didn't get your grandbaby.:mad:

Did GREAT today on Day 1 . . . gonna look at Cheese Crisps b4 passing out . . . ttyal!

JerseyGirl69
01-08-2008, 05:42 AM
lynnar--good cholesterol:
I had my bloodwork done in October. My cholesterol was "perfect" and my blood sugar slightly elevated (I was, after all 300+). It will be interesting to see what effect this has on the #s in a year or so.

laura02169
01-08-2008, 06:28 AM
Hi ladies!

I am back from vacation and finally getting settled enough to have time for a quick post. I am waiting a week before I get back on the scale....give myself a little time OP to balance off the sins of vacation :devil:

I hope you all had a fantastic New Years!

RobinW
01-08-2008, 08:48 AM
Good Morning :coffee:
I'm down another 6lbs yahhhhhhhhhh!! :cb: :cb:

Alright, well....here is my theory so far on the potassium/magnesium tablets and my weightloss.

Usually during the first 2 weeks of atkins regardless as to how many times I restart, I always loose between 10-16lbs in the first week, and 5-8lbs the second week.

However, this time I took the pot/mag supps, and my weight dropped 6lbs each week. Not as good BUT so far, I havent gotten that funky feeling, and the intense need to eat everything in sight, and load up on ridiculous amounts of sugar.

So even tho, my first 2 week progress wasnt as good as past endeavours, it is still very very good!!

On sunday I took only 1 potassium instead of 2, and monday(yesterday) was brutal, and I was starting to question my diet again. So I bumped it back up to 2 supps yesterday, and I am feeling right back to normal today! Yah!! :cheer:

From what I have read, it was my electrolites that were out of wack from the lowcarb and high water intake. This seems to put it right for me (so far) So take this information for what its worth, it certainly wont be the same for everyone. But this has been my experience.

Well, I was up at the crack of stupid this morning. Attending one of the many networking groups I belong to. This one is very easy as far as food goes. Its too early, I drink my coffee, socialize, networking, then go home have breakfast and get ready for the shop. But, this week alone there are many meetings that have dinners. On wednesday, I have roastbeef reserved, hopefully they will have a decent veggie to go with it.

Have a great day ladies, and keep positive thoughts!!

lilybelle
01-08-2008, 10:00 AM
Aud, late last night DH went to get his cig's out of his Jeep and that damn dog came running and growling at him. He was furious and said if he'd of had his gun, he would have shot it. He's gonna go talk with the police today and maybe finally something will be done. This has really, really put a rift in the friendly relationship that we've always had with these neighbors. Unfortunately there was no witness to Lucy's getting attacked. I was at the gym with the girls and DH was asleep when it happened.

Robin, when I do Atkins (like I'm doing now), I always require potassium supplements to keep my electrolytes in line. I've never tried magnesium supplements. BTW, 6 lbs. each of the last 2 weeks is absolutely awesome. The first time I did Atkins, I lost 8 the first week, 6 the second week. I don't know yet how this week will turn out. My clothes are getting a little looser, but I feel like every muscle in my body is tight and retaining some water, so it may be a few weeks before I start seeing some actual lbs. lost.

lynnar
01-08-2008, 12:50 PM
Today is actually Day seven for me. I WI tomorrow. I think it will be good. I'd like to hear about your "numbers," Jersey Girl. I asked my doctor to test my blood sugar last spring, but didn't get the results. I take that to mean it's within the normal range. I wish now that I had insisted on knowing the actual number.
I take Potassium and Calcium all the time except when I forget which is actually pretty often. I was told to take it for leg cramps years ago and it seems to help with that. I didn't realize it might have other purposes. Gotta run, lunch meeting. Lynn

JerseyGirl69
01-08-2008, 01:57 PM
Weight loss #s? I think 3-4lbs a week.

My blood sugar #s? I had to insist on them from the doc (they're at home though so I can't post them right now). They were elevated (why am I thinking 115? don't quote me on that) but not diabetic, just a cause for concern and a watchful eye. I very much believe that I was insulin resistant and that's why I couldn't lose on anything but low carb. And as you know if you're heavy you up the ante to be pre and full on diabetic.

My cholesterol was absolutely healthy and perfect, thank God.

aud
01-08-2008, 02:45 PM
Hiya LC'ers - and WB laura!:) How was the vacay? Just returned to work for my first "full" week this week and already ready for ANOTHER Holiday! LOL!:D Brutal. Just Brutal. AND so much tragedy . . . seems like everytime we're off - we come back to bad news:

---co-worker committed suicide - by STABBING HIMSELF in the stomach.

---One of the big bosses diagnosed with Stage IV pancreatic cancer

---Head Nurse died Friday - get this: of E COLI!

:(

Going to her wake tonight - just an awfulawful death and so mysterious - never have found out where she got it - what ultimately caused her death -lily I'm sure you're familiar with this: SUPER BUG that hospitals have . . . may have beat the E Coli but not the infections from prolonged hospitlaization.:(49 yrs old-perfect health.:( Just sick about it and all of it . . . but determined not to go on a emotional binge - emotions & moderation are problems for me too, lynn.

Would rather be angry than sad . . . give me directions to your neighbors' pit bull lily!!!!!!:devil:

lynn & jg69 - my whole family is blessed with lowlow cholesterol - 'cept me! I've posted my numbers b4 - but LC/Atkins has made ASTRONOMICAL differences in all the good ways . . . I try to do a test every 3-6 months.

robin, just gotta agree that you are a MACHINE! Good luck with the buffets! Haven't got my chromium supps yet (took them the first LC go round per Atkins) - when I do gonna pick up some potassium . . . don't really ever have "blah's" on Induction - but am swilling enuf water to drown a rat - so can't hurt, right?

WHERE IS OUR BEACHIE???????????????????:(

lilybelle
01-08-2008, 04:31 PM
Aud, that sounds like a horrible mess that you came back to. Yes, I am aware of the SuperBug stuff that hospitals have. This is one reason that my Dr.'s refuse to let me work as a nurse again. The last time I had pneumonia, I was working as an RN. 6 weeks in ICU and most of that time on a vent, I realized the only way I was gonna stay alive was to go HOME. Being there kept me even sicker. It took me at least a full yr. to recover!

beach bum
01-08-2008, 04:44 PM
I'm here AUD I just had a busy day, overslept,after going to the restroom at 4:26 AM. Leo than wanted to get to the Junk yard before our permit runs out at the end of Jan.We had 4 garbage bags of clothes and broken items to dump.Plus a broken printer & vac broom.

Than on to the supermarket to pick up some L/C foods,as I starting Low Carbing this morning.Did good watching my portion sizes yesterday,now if this could continue I'll be reaching for the brass ring,on the merry go round,and hopefully reach for my goal.

ROBIN-That amazing 6 lbs per week BIG CONGRATS TO YOU I didn't know that you need potassium when on a low carb diet,maybe my electrolytes are out of wack also. I'm going to the healthy food store and look into this..

LILY-I can't believe they can't do anything about the bit bull.You have rights as a citizen. If the local law doesn't apply that maybe the state is who you should contract. Glad that your dog is do fine now,but what if it was your grandchild.Those dogs shouldn't have been bred.Happy to read in your next post that your DH ids going to do do something.

LYNN-Good Luck on your W-I tomorrow I w-i also. Have one idea what my scale will read,as I just started L/C today.

Jersey Girl-Big congrats on your 3=4 lbs off. I hope I will see results like that on Wed.

AUD-Thats terrible to have 3 tragedy's in a row when coming back to work. I had the same 3 deaths in my choir before Christmas and the last when I returned home from the holidays. Sending some [[[[healing vibes]]]]] your way.

Have to go,have a nice evening

mothermavis
01-08-2008, 07:02 PM
If you have never tired Linda's Low Carb Lasagna Stuffed Pepper recipe, you need to try it ASAP. Got them ready last night so all we had to do was bake tonight. OMG delish!!

Also, Lily, if you haven't already, you should have those people on notice that the dog is vicious. It's not the dog, it's the way it was raised. I have 2 rottweiler's that your grandbaby could RIDE with no problems. It's like rotten little kids, it's the parents fault if they weren't taught to behave!

RobinW
01-09-2008, 10:19 AM

A fresh new day :sunny: What are you going to do today that makes you feel absolutely wonderful?
I am going to go home early from work today, take a hot steamy shower with my nice smelling shower wash, do up my hair, make it super curly, get dressed up in my black and red business suit, then I am going to put on my new sexy boots;) Then.......Im off to a networking meeting with a bunch of women :lol3: Keep your fingers crossed hubby will like all the red, black and sexy boots when I get home. :lol: He wont see me before I leave.

About the meeting, I had reserved roast beef, but I havent a clue what else is being served with it. I should be ok. I stocked up my lunch today, and I'll have a boiled egg before I go. That should keep the sexy foods at bay!

Oh, and Im going to get my workout in before my shower!!

Things are picking up at the shop, lots of calls the last couple days for shirts, and signs. Wonderful!!! Im very grateful for every single one of them that call and come in. It is another opportunity to show them what we do. :D

Lily~ this issue with the neighbours dog is terrible. I know that I would not be nice at all about it, and I fully agree with your husband and his reaction. Stuff like that just isnt right.

Have a great day ladies!!

JerseyGirl69
01-09-2008, 10:28 AM
What are you going to do today that makes you feel absolutely wonderful?

Well, training accomplished that for me. Totally got my *** kicked, paid for it and loved every second of it.

Re: dog issues...I agree it's about the "parents". My neighbor and I both have pugs. A neighbor down the street has 2 Great Danes. A month ago, one broke free from its leash and went after the neighbor pug, wrapped it's jaw around the dog, shook it furiously. The pug survived but is not the same.

I told neighbors to beware.

beach bum
01-09-2008, 10:57 AM
Good Morning Ladies:)

Was suppose to go to BJ's to buy our bulking items but Leo isn't feeling well,so we going on Friday instead.

W-I was this morning and I maintained.I guess with all the meds & was taking the scale didn't budge.I wasn't 100% on the diet either,so I guess I was lucky that I didn't have a gain.I started to get serious Yesterday and so heres to Next Wed.

Mothermavis-Thanks for letting us know about the lasagna from Linda's web site. Going to try it next wee,as I have my food journal planned until this Sat.

ROBIN-Your opening statement reminded me of the biggest loser show.Good luck at your meeting.Roast beef is good and if you want bread with it the [[Revolution roll]] I love them and wouldn't be able to live without them.Or roast beef roll up with pickle inside are one of my favorites.

JerseyGirl69-That wonderful that your joined and continued going there.Never went to a gym and I don't think I would waste my money because several of my friends paid so much money to join and then they never went to use the equipment. I have a bike and exercising types to keep me going.

Have a great morning

lilybelle
01-09-2008, 11:04 AM
mothermavis, I agree that it is about the training of the animal. This owner hits the dog to control him. I only wonder, God forbid , how long it will be before it turns on her or one of her kids (ages 8 months, 2 yrs., and 8 yrs. old). I feel they have taught this dog to be so aggressive. I don't for a minute trust it. Her husband works out of state and is rarely home. My DH did get a chance to talk to him and told him we refuse to be scared and threatened by their dog anymore. He let him know that he has talked to the police and they told my DH to "take whatever measure is necessary to protect our family". They agreed to keep the dog confined on a leash when they take it outside, even for it's bathroom break. I'm not sure how this will go. The dog is stronger than the woman and usually is able to break free from her.

Robin, it sounds like you have an awesome plan for today. I bet your DH will love your new look. WTG for pampering yourself!

Jersey, I have some friends from Rhode Island that had 2 Great Danes. They were so sweet and awesome. But, also some of step-dad's family had 2 of them that I was absolutely terrified of. My BIL used to have a Pit Bull that was never a problem, but as soon as they bought a house in a metro. area and went out of town for 1 day, the neighbors somehow "got rid of it".

Ladies, I'm taking the day off from the gym (maybe). My ribcage and shoulders are so sore that it is keeping me awake trying to find a comfy position to lie down. Ouch!

JerseyGirl69
01-09-2008, 11:08 AM
Not a waste of money for me, BeachBum. I joined in July because it was opening right by my job. Though the job didn't last, the gym did. I found having to go to the gym was like making an appointment with myself. Plus, having access to more than I have at home is great. It's also a social outlet I need. And then the whole--working out harder than I ever did on my own has made a difference. Personally, I need the environment. I'll keep my gym equipment at home for days I can't get there, but they're not getting much use.

aud
01-09-2008, 12:09 PM
Hmmmm . . . what am I gonna do? No sexiness for me today . . . altho' I think I will use some of the Yumalicious Body Lotion I got for Christmas/Birthday . . . I think the main thing I need to do today is tackle some things I've been putting off for far too long - office work etc. Feeling of accomplishment will be the goal - tx for the idea robin!

Oh that's right lily . . . I think I knew that you'd been horribly sick when you had to give up hospital nursing - so awful & scary! Think I've told you about my older bro who had pneumonia and got staph & then super staph - recovered but damaged.

No time to hunt up the Peppers, mmavis but putting on my To Do List . . . going to work early today but going to plan a day to get some of these wonderful recipes prepped & at the ready. Planning is so key for LC.

I DO remember when your fellow choir members passed in a row beachie . . . so sad . . . the wake last nite was just pure awful . . . a tragedy. I'm hanging in there . . . what else can we do?

Shout Outs to laura, jg69 & lynn . . . enjoy reading your Posts when I get in late at night . . . Have a Great Hump Day Everyone - ttyal!

lilybelle
01-09-2008, 12:34 PM
My son had drill this past weekend and we got a little good news. His troop was scheduled to deploy to Iraq on Februrary 9th. Now, they are going active duty on February 9th, but for special training at an Army base in New Jersey and then in Wisconsin. They will start being in Iraq on June 8th. This may not seem like good news to some, but as a Mom, it's 4 more months that I'm not as worried about him.

RobinW
01-09-2008, 12:42 PM
that is awesome news Lily!!

lynnar
01-09-2008, 01:34 PM
It's day 8 and WI for me and.... (drumroll)...I'm down 6 pounds! I was kind of hoping for more because the first loss is always some water weight, but I haven't been able to get the extra exercise. I do my step class three days a week and I'm pretty active on the weekends, but nothing on Tuesday and Thursday. Work has been too busy to slip away for a WO at lunch time. I eat my lunch at my desk most days, and going after work is hard! I'd have to shift my schedule and get my husband to pick up the 15 y.o. if I was going after work. She runs every afternoon (cross country and track team) so she's not interested in going with me. I know there are answers to this problem, but I just can't seem to find one. I go home, fix dinner and veg out most nights, although tonight I have to do grocery shopping and tomorrow I'll work late, so the nights I'm totally free, vegging out is very attractive! I'll figure something out.

Yesterday (day 7) was especially hard for me to stay OP and I don't know why. I was hungrier then usual and then even had some cravings for something sweet. I made it through the evening by doing bookkeeping-kept my mind off the cravings, but I wonder if I'm doing something wrong. I checked and still had a positive reading on the Key-sticks and I really haven't been cheating. I'm still doing induction, but I stay even lower carb then the book recommends. But I'm not real low calorie lately because some of the protein comes with it's own fat. I hope yesterday was just a fluke because I want to stay OP for a long time!

Good news about your son's deployment, Lilly. I'd be thrilled to postpone it and hoping that maybe they'll bring all the troops home before he has to go. I know my 22 y.o. daughter and 20 y.o. son think they're adults, but I still think of them as my kids and I'd never make it if one of them was overseas. They've both moved out of my house, but they're in the area and I like it that way. Actually, it's great that they're far enough to keep from fighting with me and their dad, but close enough to be home for every special occasion and even chores now and then. We miss the 20 yo who was our computer tech and cell phone programmer, but we save up little jobs for him when he comes home.

Gotta get back to work after one more Hurrah for Six Pounds gone!!!!!!

beach bum
01-09-2008, 01:45 PM
Jersey-Reading your post made me think,you maybe right when it comes to going to a gym, it would give me more motivation than exercising at home. The only thing we don't have a gym in my town I would have to go to night school for a gym course,and that exactly what I do at home,with no exercising machines.

LILY-You did great with your exercising,take time off to mend that shoulder.That wonderful that your son doesn't have to go to Iraq until than.Maybe we'll pull out from there soon.

AUD-I'm still in shock,as I haven't been back to the choir since the funerals.Me being sick for the last couple of weeks. Its going to be strange going back this Sunday.Sending some [[[healing vibes]]]your way. That right thing to do,pamper yourself with your Christmas/Birthday lotion.Maybe I should take Robins & your advice and start doing that myself.

Have a great day

JerseyGirl69
01-09-2008, 02:47 PM
You'll hate to hear this--I drive an HOUR to my gym. Ridiculous, right? Long story short, I started a job, the gym opened that same week, was not even 50 feet from my office, I knew that I could make it a habit before work every day.

Well, the company lost a client--last hired, first fired. I was unemployed for 2 1/2 months. So I kept going. Plus, I had bought training sessions through 12/07 and wasn't letting that money go down the drain.

So, I drove.

A lot actually.

But as I saw results and become so close with my trainer, it made the decision firm for me.

I'm now facing other decisions that might change things, but that's a separate thread.

lilybelle
01-09-2008, 03:28 PM
Thanks everyone for understanding how I feel about my son.

lynnar, 6 lbs. is awesome. WTG. This was my first week at being totally back OP with LC and exercise. I'm hoping for 2 lbs. lost, but my muscles are sore and retaining water so it may be a while before I see a loss.

Jersey, my gym is about 25 min's away, there wasn't one here in our little Podunk town. Course I wish it was closer, but for me it's worth it. I was getting so bored with my regular walking/treadmill routine that I needed to "shake it up" a bit.

JerseyGirl69
01-09-2008, 03:35 PM
I'll say this...the gym is in a tony area, serving wealthy clientele, so it offers a lot. Beats any gym around me for miles.

RobinW
01-10-2008, 08:32 AM

Lynnar~~ :cheer: WTG on the 6lbs!! :cb: :cb: Great Job!!

I am so proud of myself. Yesterday I was a guest at a women's networking group. Dinner, desserts, and wine. I had preordered the roast beef, and I was concerned about my evening. I went prepared, I had an egg and a string cheese before I left. Dinner arrives at my table, and I have this beautiful plate set infront of me....the woman beside me kept raving about the beautiful baked potato, and how she should have ordered roast beef instead. So I plunked that beautiful potato on my bread plate(which I didnt use) and gave it to her. She cut it in half and shared it with the woman next to her :lol: I had a good 3-4 oz of roast beef, ate all the very tastey green beans, pushed aside the carrots and it was absolutely delicious!!

Dessert arrived, and I didnt even let the waiter put it infront of me. I just said "no thankyou" The same woman next to me, said "OMG, you are my hero tonight!" But....by now everyone at the table knew I was watching what I was eating....at the very same time, to women on each side of me took a bite of their dessert, and said to me "OMG Robin you HAVE to try this" I started to laugh, held up my hands and said " OHHHH I dont even want to hear about it!!" It was quite comical, and I had a great time. Best of all, I am impressed with myself for keeping to my plan, and not letting peer pressure get to me. :sunny: Yesterday was a wonderful success!!

I felt great before I left too, I did what I planned yesterday to make myself feel great, even added the vivid red lipstick....which hubby promptly tried to kiss off (he came home early) :D

What are you going to do today feel like a success?

I plan to get everything on my to-do list done, and make the calls I keep telling myself I need to make. I also plan to keep to my eating plan, and get my exercise in :)

Ptrcmcc6
01-10-2008, 08:57 AM
Hi all......I hope you don't mind me popping in over here to join your chat. I see some of you are from Jersey. I live on the Jersey shore myself and we've been enjoying some beautiful weather these past few days.

Lily - I was wondering how things are going with the pit bull? Are the neighbors keeping him on a leash like they promised? Also....good news about your son. Being a Mom myself I can totally understand how a few months can mean a world of difference when it comes to being deployed to Iraq. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Hopefully, come June....they'll be pulling troops out instead of sending them over there.

Aud - so sorry to read about all the bad news you had to go back to at work. The head nurse really struck a cord with me. You had mentioned the "superbug" which is going around and my brother had passed away from that 4 years ago. As far as I'm concerned.....it's not something new that's going around. It just found it's way out of the confines of hospitals where at one time you were more apt to catch it. My brother came down with it after having surgery to remove an embolism in his lung. He was really really sick for about 5 months. We almost lost him 3 times (heart failure and everything else) but somehow he managed to get better to the point where he was in re-hab and then allowed to go home. My SIL even had to learn how to give him his injections of vancomycin at the time in order for him to be able to go home. He was home for about a month when (what I believed happened) the doctors lowered his dosage and that was it. The infection hadn't totally left his body and I believe the lower dosage of antibiotics gave it the opportunity to resurface and he passed away about 4 days later. Horrible horrible time in our lives. He was only 48 years old and has a son who was 16 years old at the time. It's definitely a potentionally life-threatening infection and nothing to shake a stick at.

Robin - WTG on passing up all the carby foods at your function. You have every right to be proud of yourself. How did hubby like the sexy outfit you wore when you got home......:D?

Lynn - Congrats on being down 6 lbs.......:carrot:!! You deserve to do a dance!!

Well.....like I said.....hope you all don't mind me popping in over here and I look forward to popping in a little more often when I get the chance. I've been lc'ing (almost) faithfully for a year now and I'm down 40 lbs. so far. I'm not doing any particular plan. Just watching my carb intake for now. It seems to be working so I'll stick with it for the time being.

Take care all and nice to meet you guys.

Patty

lilybelle
01-10-2008, 09:29 AM
Robin, you did fantastic at the dinner meeting. WTG. I can understand you being Proud, you have every right to be. Also, I caught the little sexy undertones in your message, be careful there my DH is still gone out of state til next Tuesday night, LOL. I'd hate to have to drive 4 hrs. for a quick visit, LOL.

Patty, stay and chat with us all you want. WTG on the 40 lbs, sounds like LowCarb is working for you really well. Oh, as far as them keeping the Pit on a leash, NO , it's not happening. It was again on my back deck growling at my dogs through the sliding glass door at midnight last night! I called the neigbor, woke her up, and said "you better come get your dog or my son is gonna shoot it". She came and got it!

Last night for dinner, I made me 1 cheeseburger pattie and some asparagus. I ended up not feeling hungry and threw away half my meal. Later, I was hungry and didn't want to cook again. I ate 1/2 of a small banana (which isn't on my induction plan) but for some reason I was craving it terribly. I probably need to get back on my potassium supplements!

RobinW
01-10-2008, 11:08 AM
be careful there my DH is still gone out of state til next Tuesday night, LOL. I'd hate to have to drive 4 hrs. for a quick visit, LOL.

Just think how much he will like his welcome home ;)

How did hubby like the sexy outfit you wore when you got home
um....very much :D;) ..........and welcome to the group Patty!! :welcome3: Congratulations on your 40lbs gone!!!!!!

lynnar
01-10-2008, 12:51 PM
Hi everyone. Welcome Patty.
I broke my rule about random weighing and checked today. I'm still down 6 pounds. Hurrah! I guess I just wanted to reassure myself that it wasn't a fluke. I was hungry again last night. Don't know what that's about, but I didn't over eat even though I ended up eating dinner very late.
I have a doctor's appointment today for my annual gyno stuff. Not looking forward to that scale. Even with the 6 pounds down, I think I've gained since last year. Luckily my "doctor" is a nurse/practioner with her own weight issues. Much more sympathic then the male doctors who tell me to eat less.
Robin, I've been at that networking meeting! And I've caved to the peer pressure. Congratulations!! I think I could pass on the potato, but I know I'd feel obligated to "taste" the dessert if they were pushing me. So far I've been avoiding all social eating, but that will end with lunch and dinner tomorrow. Two chances to eat out with friends on the same day! Not the best planning on my part, but it's time for me to stop hiding out.
tonight will be tricky too. It's a work meeting that includes food that isn't close to Low Carb. I may have to eat a bunless burger on the way so I'm not as hungry as I've been lately. I know I couldn't have done it last night when I was starving. I need to find a bottle of water too and avoid the diet coke. I haven't had a diet coke since I started 9 days ago!!
Opps gotta go. Work waiting. Lynn

jen519
01-10-2008, 01:43 PM
Hi everyone. Figured I'd post instead of "lurking" as I have been all week.

I've only recentlly starting back on a low-carb plan. I'm toying with a couple of weeks being truly on Atkins induction, but I'm doing OK with weight loss by being a little less restrictive than that. I've been following my plan for over a week now, including the weekend which is always the most difficult for me.

Robin - You're definitely my hero. I've been avoiding tempting foods, but yesterday one of my company's clients sent me a "thank you" for getting their job done over the weekend. I won't describe it here, but it wasn't just any box of dessert foods but something really high-ened and I ended up having 1, then giving the rest to my crew (as was only fair anyway, right?) Wish I could have resisted entirely, but I'm not feeling too badly about it. This particular choice only added 8g of carbs to my day and I did only have one.

I'm pretty impressed with you as well Lynn. While I've cut down on the diet coke, I don't think I could ever go completely without it. It's my "sweet" that I can have daily. I'd probably be a bit more successful if I could go without. They have the Splenda kind, but I'm not fond of it.

beach bum
01-10-2008, 04:11 PM

Leo & I are well again.He has to go to the eye doctor for his 6 month check up.Hes a glaucoma suspect and hes starting to get cataracts in left eye. After we are going grocery shopping.

Since he has a late morning appointment we are going to switch back lunch ^n dinner for the day and than go back to having dinner at noon.We having Baked Pesto Chicken from the Quick & Easy cookbook.

Jersey-Thats great to be able to travel that long to go to the gym.I 'll stay home and see what kind of activity I can manage doing here.Got some biking done with 240 reps for 20 M. I starting slow again as I haven't exercised since the holidays be sick and all.

Lynn-Big congrats on your 6 lb loss. Hope I will follow suit next week.I bit you'll do fine at the doctors appointment. My doctors scale is right and he told me it was balance for a while go I go by my doctors scale.

Lily-You'll lose those 2 pounds and probably even more, with your determination.Lily what was this potassium supplements that you and Robin were discussing the other day.Something about low carbing and electrolytes.

Patty-Welcome:welcome2: to the thread. Of course you can join our chat.The more they merrier.Congrats on your 40 lb loss.I'm carb sensitive,and have to watch my carbs plus my fats so I go to fitday to tally my calories,carb fat & protein there. I used to live in New York,but on the Island.My DD & DS still live there. I moved to Cape Cod.

Robin-I really impress the way you handled the baked potato.You really an inspiration to this board and daily chat. Big congrats on your attitude toward dining out.You're so in control. Need that :dust: that you have. You should be proud of yourself,as you fantastic though the whole dinner. Can't believe people trying to tempt you,but you succeeded.

Jen-Glad you came out of the lurking mode and started posting again.I can't go back to the Atkins induction as the carbs are to low for me to start over and over again.I find that if I eat veggie carbs even the starchy ones[1/2 c] I can get away without gaining.The loss isn't as big, but its enough to get motivated.

Have a great evening

Ptrcmcc6
01-10-2008, 04:52 PM
Hi BB......I use to post my foods in fitday but it just got so tedious going back and forth between the other forum I'm a member of and fitday. The other forum I'm a member of also has a food input program but it's a little more complicated IMO than fitday so I just gave up altogether. After doing this for over a year now.....I kind of have a mental idea of what I can eat and what I can't eat. I'm not saying that's the way it always happens though.....:frypan: I just may have to start inputting my foods back in there again though because the scale has been pretty slow with moving. I just might have to start watching my caloric intake being as I'm getting closer to goal. We'll see how things go and take it from there.

Anyway....thank you all for making me feel welcome here. I know I'll enjoy coming over here to chat from time to time. Most likely everyday because these forums are what keeps me focused......lol.

You all have a great on-plan evening.

Patty

lilybelle
01-10-2008, 11:49 PM
Robin, LOL, I give him a Good welcome home each Tuesday and a good sendoff the following Tuesday! It's the days in between that might be lacking sometimes, LOL.

lynnar, I hate weighing at my Dr.'s, his scales are always a couple lbs. higher than mine and it is frustrating. But when I weigh on his, I have clothes on and usually have eaten. Also, I still drink the diet coke, I prefer the Coke Zero.

Jen, you did good just having one treat and giving the rest away. I'd count that as a success!

BB, over-the-counter Potassium supplements can be bought at your pharmacy. I usually need these while on Atkins. Actually last time on Atkins my Potassium got dangerously low and I had to be put on the 40Mg. Prescription Potassium twice a day, but I was on a mild diuretic at that time. So, I'm hoping the OTC ones will work this time. A sure sign that my Potassium is really low is leg cramps! Also, I'm glad to hear that you and Leo are feeling better now.

Patty, I never used Fitday when I was doing Atkins. I did use it for a while when I was Calorie Countin and doing SBD. I find that if I stick to LowCarb food that I dont' need to log it. You mentioned that you can eat some of the higher carb veggies and do OK at weight loss. I found that I can eat a piece of fruit a day without it affecting my weight loss.

I had a great workout again tonite. I'm really thankful for our exercise thread, so I can keep track of which part of my body I'm to work on each gym visit. My SD and I ate at McDonald's after we left the gym. I did at least eat the grilled chicken salad, so felt that I tried to stay on plan. Shelbey ate a double quarter lber with cheese, fries and a large Dr.Pepper. I had no desire for that burger, but man, those fries looked tasty, and I didn't eat not one of them!

RobinW
01-11-2008, 08:18 AM

Good going Lily, on not tasting that fry that was looking so tastey!!

Not alot planned for today, but there are quite a few jobs sitting at the shop that need to get done today.

Eating is good, exercise is good, & positive attitude is good :D

Have a great day ladies!!

Ptrcmcc6
01-11-2008, 08:39 AM
Just popping by to wish you all a quick great on-plan day today. I woke up late again and have to drive my young son to school this morning. Ugh.....this is 2 days in a row. Yesterday I got up late to get the older son up for school. Thankfully he drives on his own though. I guess this working 2 jobs is starting to get to me. I must have gotten spoiled with the kids being home on Christmas break because I can't seem to wake up for beans in the morning.

Lily - WTG on passing up on those "devil's little starchy fingers" at McD's. The smell alone drives me insane!!

Patty

JerseyGirl69
01-11-2008, 09:44 AM
Yes, on plan day. Yesterday was harder--I had cafeteria food at work and it wasn't 100% the best choice. I had beef chile and a salad with o/o, green and red peppers. The chile had some beans and was VERY salty (blech) so I could have chosen to just make a salad. Not too many work options unless bringing from home. The alternative was cream of turkey and frankly, yikes--no thanks.

Scale stayed at 289 when it was due to move. So, on plan if I want to lose another 3-4 pounds soon.

I'm still working on finding the exact #s that work for me.

lynnar
01-11-2008, 01:51 PM
Lilly, I get my 15 yo mcdonald's about once a week when I'm driving hr between running and dancing. I haven't ordered french fries for my self in years, but I always made her give me one fry. Yesterday she tried to offer me one, but I resisted! Yes! I agree with Patty. It's the smell that get you.

I was slightly off plan yesterday. My work meeting got over early so I went to dinner with the husband and older daughter. We ordered wings because I thought they might be all right. I think the hot ones were, but the teriyaki (spelling?) maybe not and I know the BBQ ones had sugar in the sauce. Also I sampled the fried mushrooms-complete with breading. I keep thinking about the line in the book about just tasting is the kiss of death. But I'm afraid I'll run into the same thing tonight. When your choices are limited it's tempting to eat the less bad thing even if it's not 100 percent OP.

I gave up the diet coke as my first step towards giving up caffeine, but so far I haven't taken any more steps. I can't quite picture a morning without coffee. In fact, I'm not sure I want to. That might be what sends me spinning off the eating plan forever. Into a world of cream cheese Danish and those bagel sandwiches at McDonalds and maybe even (dare I say it) Breakfast Burritos! Man, I'm making myself hungry.....

JerseyGyrl
01-11-2008, 02:19 PM
That might be what sends me spinning off the eating plan forever. Into a world of cream cheese Danish and those bagel sandwiches at McDonalds and maybe even (dare I say it) Breakfast Burritos! Man, I'm making myself hungry.....

Lynnar,

You don't have to go off plan to enjoy those things...just make them low carb version:)
http://genaw.com/lowcarb/mock_danish.html
http://genaw.com/lowcarb/cinnamon_glaze.html
http://genaw.com/lowcarb/improved_revolution_rolls.html Add egg, a slice of canadian bacon or a sausage patty & a slice of cheese

For a breakfast burrito...use low carb tortilla's and fill with a mixture of scrambled egg, cooked chopped red & green peppers & onion, shredded mexican cheese, and a little salsa

RobinW
01-11-2008, 02:40 PM
I am sooooooooooooooo tired today!! Ive been dragging my butt all day. Im working on my 5th cup of coffee. This is lots for me, Im usually a max 3 cuppa.

I didnt over exert myself yesterday during my workout. I was finished and felt good. I am not lacking on veggies, I even boosted them up a bit more today. I was asleep by 10:30 last night. I dont know what it is....but I could sure use an 8hr nap this afternoon :lol:

Lily, I will only drink coke zero as a very very special treat. Because classic coke is a terrible addiction I have. I havent had coke classic in over 11yrs. I wont touch the stuff.....sends my system berserk and I cannot get enough of it!! I stick to diet pepsi when I crave a soda.

Time for more coffee :coffee: :coffee:
Maybe its the weather?

beach bum
01-11-2008, 02:49 PM

Went out to BJ's for most of the morning and was back in the afternoon.We stock up on bulk items and foods 4 x's a year.
[Jan,April,Aug & Oct]

Got back earlier than expected,ran into a powerful storm on our way home.Thunder & Lightening accompanied us and we had to pull over as Leo couldn't see in front of him, with the rain coming down faster then the wind shield wipers could work.

When we got home,we found that the power was down.So we had dinner from a can[minced clams and artichokes was my meal and Leo had baked beans with a can of mackerel. YUM YUM.

Now that the power is back on, we have to get all our appliances back on.

PATTY-I used to belong to anthers boards food tracker,but it was always on the blink so decided to use the fit day instead and I love using it.

LILY-Thanks for the information,I'm going to talk my healthy food store guy what he thinks before I take the Potassium supplements.Don't have cramps in my legs,what are the other symptoms of lacking of potassium?????

ROBIN-You doing fantastic with this WOE,Need to stay focus on optimism, when things don't go right. Leo is trying to knock that pessimism out of me,as he says it not good to face life that way.

JERSEY GIRL-Good Luck in finding the exact number of carbs. I thought I found the carb count to be near 50 grms. but it changes for some reason,sometimes lower & some times higher. Still don't know my balance. You'll see That scale will move.

LYNN-You're correct something you can't be 100% on any plan, espeically when your outside your environment. I see that in the book all the time,"kiss of death" That why I 'm not doing the Atkins,as I find the other low carb plans a little more livable. Maybe I'm wrong,but it doesn't work for me.

Have a nice day

lilybelle
01-11-2008, 10:37 PM
Hi everyone, my computer had been down all day and I sure felt like a lost pup without it. I'm sure happy it's up and running now.

I just made a wasted trip to my gym, turns out it closes at 8PM on Friday nights. I was planning on doing the stairstepper and my lower body routine. Oh well, if I get energetic I may do some walking on my treadmill and hit the gym tomorrow. I've actually been getting quite a bit of extra walking in just by taking my dogs one at a time to walk for their potty breaks. I don't trust to even let my dogs loose in our fenced back yard right now cause I've seen that Pit climb the fence and get in my yard. I don't want to take another chance that one of my dogs will get tore up again!

BB, ask your Dr. or pharmacist before you start on Potassium. Too much or too little Potassium can cause heart arrythmias. Although the low milligram over the counter ones should be safe in general for most people. (After all it's in pretty much every multivitamin).

lynnar, I believe sometimes we are in situations where we just have to compromise and make the best choice possible. Such as buying a burger and throwing away the bun, eating pizza by peeling off the crust and throwing the crust away. I agree with Jerseygryl , I still eat home-made breakfast burritos on low-carb tortillas. I'm a really big fan of hot wings. I buy the Tyson pre-made ones at Walmart (they are 1 carb for 4 wings) and are simple to cook and my whole family loves em.

Robin, I used to have a terrible Mt.Dew addiction. At least 6 of those 24 oz. bottles a day. Now, I won't even drink any Mt. Dew , even the diet one. I do like Sprite Zero sometimes. My main vice is coffee and I didn't ever give it up and I don't plan to.

Patty, 2 jobs would definitely kick my butt. I have to get up at 5AM in the mornin to take Shelbey to work and I dread it already. I am not a morning person. I plan to come back home,take my dogs out for their morning walk and then go back to bed til about 9AM.

aud
01-12-2008, 04:52 AM
Hi Everyone - finally just caught up with all the Posts and now ready to crash face first into the keyboard :faint: . . . want to welcome jen & patty first:carrot: - Just tragic about your brother patty!:( . . . my brother had the exact same thing but lived . . . altho' he never recovered fully . . . just so terrifying.

On that depressing note - this work week from **** is officially over isn't it???????

w00t

Catch up with everyone over the weekend . . . 'night.

Ptrcmcc6
01-12-2008, 06:06 AM
Thank you, Aud..... :). Glad to hear your brother is still with you. It is a very terrifying thing but I know my brother is in a good place..... :).

laura02169
01-12-2008, 07:20 AM
I'm in the same boat Aud, I stopped by earlier in the week but haven't been to forum since and had to catch up on the posts.

So I was away for a week on vacation, which was fantastic. But my diet was limited to mostly beer and potatoes :D No gym and hardly any water.

My last two days of vacation, I wasn't feeling well and ended up with an upper resp. infection. So I haven't been to the gym all week. Two week total out of the gym (it's going to hurt when I go today!)

I was surprised during my trip that I didn't gain any weight. And since I've been back, I've even lost a few pounds after several weeks of stagnant progress - So I am reevaluating my diet. No, I don't think the answer is in beer and potatoes...but I realized my calorie count must have been way too high before I left. Snacking on cheese and nuts doesn't seem to work well for me.

And, I hardly drank coffee on vacation. I usually have 10+ cups a day. That was reduced to 3/day. So I have tried to maintain that lower level.

I don't know...I guess I was so focused on the carb count that I lost sight of the calories. It's all about balance, right? I'm rambling. sorry.

beach bum
01-12-2008, 08:45 AM
Yesterday afternoon I had to go to the emergency room of the hospital.I couldn't get hold of my doctor or his sub or my eye doctor.

Right after I posted to you, my left eye starting hurting around my eye socket and eye lids.Well, I have a sty along the bottom of my lower lid. The doc gave me antibiotic cream for the sty and said I should follow up with my eye doctor on Monday,if I'm still in pain.

Asked the doctor if it had to do with the bacterial infection that I had,he said it was a possibility. but it turned out to be a sty.

Can't type good with the cream in my eye,will post tomorrow,if I can see.

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend

lilybelle
01-12-2008, 11:33 AM
Hi everyone,

BB, hope you are better soon. My SD, Shelbey has some type of rash on her face and I may have to take her to the medical clinic today. It looks like poison ivy to me, but she thinks she is dying, and truthfully it's dangerously close to her eye.

I'm heading out to the bank and pharmacy and then to the gym. See you ladies later.

aud
01-12-2008, 11:47 AM
Thank you, Aud..... :). Glad to hear your brother is still with you. It is a very terrifying thing but I know my brother is in a good place..... :).

It's good that you have Faith . . . I'm relying on mine as well lately. The whole thing with my Bro is still a mystery - he has a bad back . . . got two chiropractor adjustments per usual . . . thought he had the flu with it (fever) . . . went to the E Room when he got short of breath with upper left shoulder & upper back pain and was on LIFE SUPPORT within an hour/comatose from May 29, 99 til JULY 4th when he came out of it! Due to the symptoms - the entire time he was in the Cardiac ICU - altho' as we now know, never was his heart but Super Staph - after about 2 weeks in ICU - progressed to having Hospital SuperBug.:( They theorized that he had pneumonia that somehow had a pocket of infection that got in his bloodstream but another medical faction of specialist just think the Bad Bug has, as you said, has escaped the hospital and is in our population now. I know that they went over his entire body with laser/black lite and he had not a scratch anywhere and also did tons of internal testing to see if there were abscesses ANYWHERE brain/heart/lung/bowel etc that were leaking poison. NO sign of. Just a mystery and he was lucky to have chosen one of the top hospitals in the US when he went to the ER - about 50 mi from his house . . . he woke up like I said on July 4th - and spent about another month there . . . then to one rehab nearby the hospital for a few weeks and then another month in a rehab near his home . . . the nerve coverings in his spine were attacked so he has paralysis in his feet and hands . . . his hair turned WHITE the first week (at the time he was 57) and basically to this day he hobbles with a cane and seems like a man in his 70's or so.

Harrowing and so many ups and downs that I'm sure you went thru too.:(

Since they never figured out wth happened or how he was stricken, I spent a few years of being germaphobic, but have relaxed in recent years and realized that besides common sense precautions (I still try not to touch door knobs etc in public places etc) . . . gotta accept that some things are just fate, ya know?

Sorry to go on and on like this patty - just brought back a lot of memories for me and know that I am thinking of you in your loss and thinking I'll give Big Bro a call this morning! Tx.:hug:

RobinW
01-12-2008, 11:58 AM
BB~ When I get stys, I always rub my gold wedding ring on it. Sometimes 5-6x a day. I havent a clue why it works, but Ive been doing this since I was a little kid. My mom used to give me her ring to rub on my eye. So as soon as I start to feel one coming on, I start to rubbing. Give it a try, it certainly wont hurt.

aud
01-12-2008, 12:26 PM
If I haven't said it - WTG on the -6 poundaroonies lynn!:carrot: Just awesome!

I was a severe Diet Coke addict too lynn & jen - can't even remember when I gave it up . . . but when I drink them now - CANNOT believe how I ever got them down - just make me feel so yucky & bloated. I made the switch by going to iced tea (cannot give up caffeine - coffee or tea) . . . now I'm on 1/2 brewed iced tea and 1/2 brewed green tea - delish and keep the jug handy. The whole anti-oxidant mindset really helped me make the switch PLUS no bloat or yuck feeling but still has the caffeine kick, ya know?

aud
01-12-2008, 12:44 PM
Trying to break up my Posts so it's not one loooong a$$ ramble . . . never heard the gold wedding ring cure for beachie's sty, robin! My Mom suffered with recurring sty's for years - she would have tried anything - they can be so annoying and painful - hope you're better soon GF! Those creams can be such a mess, I know.

And robin . . . WTG at the networking!:carrot: Your Posts are soooo helping me daily to get my strength and/or determination and/or self discipline and/or focus on! Tx!:hug:

Cafeteria at my work is the pits too jg69 . . . esp. if you have had your fill of yucky pre-made salads or from the processed roll of hard boiled eggs - BLLLLEEECCHHH! LC works best for me if I planplanplan and bring stuff from home.

Wish your son really would have shot the pit bull lily . . . and I know that sounds harsh but its just really for the best. I know a 16 yr old girl who is STILL having facial/reconstructive plastic surgery from a dog attack when she was 3 - when an animal has gone bad or has been MADE to be mad - sometimes the "old time country" remedies are the best, I think. Your workouts are AWESOME GF . . . I've GOT to get back to them and to the Y/gym - tx for the inspiration . . . . BUT . . .

LOL . . . :D :p . . . thinking that today I'm going on laura's inspiration and having me some BEER but w/o the POTATOES!!!:o:cool:

The PlayOffs are calling and haven't seen my other Bro (that has the tavern in the country) since Christmas Day (briefly) . . . convinced myself that's what I need to do so ttyal! Have a Great Weekend Gals!:carrot:

And DIE SEAHAWKS DIE!!!!:p

RobinW
01-12-2008, 12:50 PM
Thanks Aud!! If you havent already, go to my blog. I post alot more there, than I do here. I hope you find it just as positive.

lilybelle
01-12-2008, 01:14 PM
Aud, so sorry to hear what happened to your brother. When I had my superinfection, I was in a smaller hospital. The Dr.'s were completely dumbfounded as to why I wasn't responding to tons of IV antibiotics. They had even asked my DH to make me a DNR. Very scary indeed to know that I came severely close to dying. I understand how badly it affected your brothers health. I think it affected every single organ in my body. It took me at least a full yr. to recover. For quite a while there I looked 20 yrs. older than I am. I even had family pic's made after I got out of the hospital so my kids would have a pic to remember me by. After my experience, I am definitely a germophobe now. Another good reason that mentally I could not handle working as a nurse again. My Dr. even told DH that he could take me home so my family could spend time with me "cause I know she isn't going to make it through this".

Aud, also, I think it's just a short matter of time before my DS or DH do shoot that dog. Even now, they still are not keeping it contained and they've had fair warning! The bad thing is last night I had a nightmare that they retaliated and shot Molly. I woke up unbelievably upset.

Ptrcmcc6
01-12-2008, 02:11 PM
Wow Aud......that time frame is really creepy because that's about the same time frame my brother came down with it. He had his surgery for an embolism in his lung about a week before Memorial Day in 2004. They put a stent in. He was all ready to be released from the hospital the Thursday before Memorial Day Weekend when he came down with the infection and was basically in a comatose state until early July. I remember it was July because his birthday is July 16th and we were able to bring him up a small piece of birthday cake for his birthday. He still wasn't himself but he was able to talk to us and everything in little spurts. He, like your brother, stayed in the hospital for another couple months and then went into rehab himself before he was able to go home. My SIL had to learn how to give him his injections of vancomycin and all that other kinds of stuff before they would send him home. Anyway, the reason why I have so much Faith is because when he finally did make it home.....he came down the shore to where myself, my sister, and our Mom lives for his annual birthday dinner of Surf & Turf. Of course, he was too sick on his birthday to do this so I think it might have been November by the time he made it down here. Anyway......while we were in the restaurant I had asked him if he remembered any of us visiting him while he was in the hospital for all those months. My SIL (God Bless her heart) was at the hospital everyday and us siblings would take turns going up different days of the week. His response to me was he didn't remember us being up there but one thing he remembered clear as a bell was seeing our Father who had already passed away. He remembered going up to him and saying 'wait a minute...aren't you dead?' and he said the only thing Daddy said to him was "GO HOME, SON"!! I almost balled my eyes out when he told me that story. In fact, I still get teary-eyed whenever I talk about it but that.....my dear....instilled my Faith there is someone waiting for you on the other side. Unfortunately, less than a month after that he had passed away but I think it was God's way of giving him another month or so to be with his family which I'm grateful for.

So.......to all you germophobes.......by all means continue to be one because this infection is not something to play with.

Lily......I'm so glad to hear you've recovered. It must have been very scary at the time for you and your family.

Well......time for this chick-a-dee to jump in the shower and get ready for work. You all have a wonderful on-plan low carb weekend.

TTYS

Patty

jen519
01-12-2008, 02:56 PM
Wow. That superbug IS terrifying. My brother is quadriplegic and seemed to always get bedsores when he was in the nursing home. We were always grateful when he got moved to hospital for treatment, because we knew he would get better care there. I guess that was quite a risk too!

Aud, do you sweeten the iced tea with Splenda or anything? I've never been a fan of tea, but know that all this diet Coke is not good for me. I still drink an "occasional" coffee, but try to stay away from it because my drink of choice is a triple grande cinnamon latte which isn't even close to lo-carb.

Had a little scare myself. Had my physical and complained about chest "tightness" and some dizzy spells. Myself, I chalked it up to anxiety and stress, because work is REALLY crazy right now. Doctor did an EKG (just to be sure) and then while I was waiting to get blood taken, came in and said "There was a change in your EKG, so I scheduled a [DR BABBLE]. By the way...here's a prescription for nitro pills. If you have another episode, put one underneath your tonge and see if it helps." Then walked away. HELLO!!! Scared the crap out of me!!!

Had the diagnostic test and treadmill. Treadmill was fine, although (SURPRISE!!) I need to get more excersize. Just waiting to get the pictures back from the other portion of the test, but the cardio doc who did the treadmill said it's over 75% likely that if HE didn't find anything, there isn't anything to find. Not too worried now.

Ptrcmcc6
01-12-2008, 11:54 PM
Wow Jen......I pray everything turns out alright for you.

Patty

Ptrcmcc6
01-13-2008, 12:00 AM
Oh.....just one more thing, Jen. I'm not a doctor, nurse, or anything but until you get your results back from your tests....you should probably try to stay away from anything that has caffeine in it. I know when my "ex" had a heart attack 4 years ago.....the doctors told him he should stay away from caffeine.

lilybelle
01-13-2008, 07:20 AM
Jen, that sounds scary! I hope your tests come out fine.

I had my official WI this morning. I'm down 2 more lbs, so a total of 4 lbs. since Jan 1st when I got back on low-carb and started busting my butt at the gym. I had hoped for a great big whoosh, but I'm happy to see that the scale is moving in the right direction instead of that slow upward trend that I had been seeing. Now I'll stay completely off the scale til next Sunday and (dare I dream it) hope for another 2 lb. loss this next week which would put me back at goal!

Patty, thanks. I wasn't too awfully aware of how sick I was at that time, thankfully. Like someone else mentioned above, I don't remember much of it. I was so sick that I didn't recall my visitors and although I worked at the hospital I couldn't even tell who was taking care of me. It's all just a big blur. My family said I sat around , dozing off constantly, for 6 months after I came home and didnt even recognize them most of the time!

beach bum
01-13-2008, 01:35 PM

The pain from the sty is gone,but keeping the anti-biotic cream in my eyes is making it blurry.

Starting Monday I signed up for a Valentine and Lental challenge on another board,I have too get my self back to the 150 again.

LILY-I went to my health food store and he told me about potassium in a packet that you mix with water,measuring 1 liter.He told me to take 8 oz glass per day and that would bring my electrolytes up.He told me not be be afraid to take potassium as most people are electrolyte deficient,and it such a small amount that i would be taking. Hope it works,as most of my menus are low carbs.Thanks for the well wishes. I'm so sorry to hear about your SD Shelbey's poison ivy.Yikes and in the eye area.That not good,hope they will give her something to take the itching away.

ROBIN-I never heard about a gold ring would take away the sty. Interesting to learn a a friend of mine mentioned the same thing but using the gold wedding ring to make a sing of the cross over the sty take it away also. Next time I take my wedding band out of my jewelery box and try it. I can't wear my w/r because my fingers are too stubby after gaining so much weight.

AUD-The creams are working,but this morning I had to drive to church and I could put it in my eye,but its in now and its very hard to type on the computer. Don't think I need the eye doctor as it clearing nicely. Hope so anyway as we're gong to have a very bad storm tomorrow.

Have to stop reading the rest of the post as my eye is straining trying to read them.

Well come back later

RobinW
01-13-2008, 02:28 PM
its on old wives tale, but it works every time for me. Id take it out of your jewellery box now and after you wash your face, rub it on your eye, then put your cream on it.

Ptrcmcc6
01-13-2008, 02:46 PM
Wow......I've never had a sty but i'll have to remember this thread should I ever get one. I will have to get married first though.....:lol:

BB - Glad to hear at least the pain is gone. I've heard they can be very painful. Keep the cream on and hopefully you'll be all better in no time.....:getwell:

Patty

stayincalm
01-13-2008, 02:51 PM
Yummy Sweet Treat:

I monkeyed around with this until it worked. It was worth it:

1 package sugar free jello cheesecake pudding;
Instead of using two cups of cold skimmed milk use 3/4 cup unsweetened (cold) soy milk and 1/4 cup heavy cream.
I add more splenda to my pudding to make it sweeter.
I put individual servings into cupcake baking cups, grate a little sugar free chocolate (dark or milk) on top and chill.

These can be served with a little whipped cream or, if you like pumpkin, a little cooked, splenda sweetened pumpkin.

Works for me!

aud
01-14-2008, 02:04 AM
New Week of Chat: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1997459#post1997459