100 lb. Club - Does your ticker lie?

View Full Version : Does your ticker lie?

Reddalice
01-07-2008, 02:35 AM
Weightloss tickers are a fun way to track progress, but when set backs happen and weight crawls back up in digits do you change your ticker to accurately reflect your progress? I got down to 193, but after i lost self control and my gained 12lbs. My ticker didn't budge however, and every time I saw it I felt a little guilty for lying, but I kept saying: "That's okay, it's just a number, and at one point I REALLY did lose that much weight and gaining weight can't change the fact that at one point I lost {insert number} of pounds." Some ppl leave their low weight on the ticker for motivation and others don't want to face the set back. How about you? :kickbutt:

jordan
01-07-2008, 03:12 AM
If my weight goes up a pound or two as a result of normal fluctuation I don't change my ticker. BUT if the gain is the result of some bad choices I always change it, partially to admit I screwed up and partially because I know I will go back down and I find it quite fun to move it down :rolleyes:. Overall, my ticker doesn't LIE, per se, but it is not always exactly accurate either if the weight change is just minor.

pinupqueen
01-07-2008, 03:19 AM
a pound or two up and I'll leave it, if I'm up by 5 or more then I move the ticker. Though you can be sure I'll move it down no matter how smalll the loss!

sockmonkey70
01-07-2008, 04:11 AM
Mine is two pounds lower than what the scale has been showing th past few days, but I usually change it to reflect a real loss or gain. Like when I came back from the holidays LOL. Had to move it up from 182 to 190...It hurt, but I needed to do it for me.

kasmin
01-07-2008, 07:48 AM
If I "officially" weigh myself, I change the ticker (whether up or down). That's my deal with myself;). That way, it keeps me from hopping on the scale too much. I kind of want to wean myself away from depending on the scale. I find that if I start to think too much about the numbers, weirdly, I start to sabotage myself.:dizzy:

Beverlyjoy
01-07-2008, 07:54 AM
So far..it's telling the truth. If I have a big gain (haven't since coming here, thankfully) - I don't know what I"d do - truth to tell.

GirlyGirlSebas
01-07-2008, 08:37 AM
My ticker gets moved on Mondays when I weigh-in. If I gain, then my penalty is to move my ticker. If I lose, my reward is to move my ticker. :D

purpleorc
01-07-2008, 09:05 AM
I have only ever once gain one pound during my weight loss journey. I must confess that on that occassion I did not move the ticker in the opposite direction. Although for one week I did feel guilty that the weigh I actually was was not that on the ticker it was a great motivator for me.

Purplefirefly
01-07-2008, 09:17 AM
I weigh in every Monday, and change the ticker to whatever the scale says. So far I haven't had to turn it back yet, but I'm sure one day I might. I don't worry about every day fluctuations, that is normal, it's the weely weigh in that I go by.

vixjean
01-07-2008, 09:21 AM
I round up to the nearest whole #, and that's what goes on my ticker. I have not moved it up so far, even though there has been fluctuation. I started at 180, then a few days later was 184 and a few days later was 180, so that is when I decided I was going to go with the lowest amount. If it is just a fluctuation of a few lbs, I will not change it.
I show my lowest weight in my profile.

Having said that- If a lb or two stays on for a week or more, then I WILL move it up.

fiberlover
01-07-2008, 09:51 AM
I'll be honest with my ticker. If I am not honest with my ticker, I can't be honest with myself about weight loss.
Ignoring the little gains is how my weight crept up bit by bit.

kimmieone
01-07-2008, 09:56 AM
If it's a planned weight in I change it, if I'm just being nosy in the middle of the week I leave it alone.

Switzie6
01-07-2008, 10:18 AM
I'm with kimmieone. I record my weight twice a week, monday and friday. I change my ticker no matter if it's up or down. But I have a habit of jumping on the scale every morning though I don't change the ticker unless it's my "official" weigh in day.

jtammy
01-07-2008, 10:50 AM
I weigh everyday and my weight changes from day to day. It's not unusual to see a 5 lb difference from day to day. I don't bother changing it. I really only record my lows. The only time I recorded a higher weight was when I returned from vacation. I waited two weeks for the scale to stabilize, but apparently it was a true gain, so I changed the ticker and moved on. I'm still 4 lbs over my ticker from Christmas. I'm waiting until next weekend to change it, if my weight doesn't come back down.

bluex
01-07-2008, 10:54 AM
Now, that I am down to almost my goal weight, my weight loss is showing up only during a couple of points during the month and I am always my lightest right before my period. I know it's all the pattern in which my body is retaining water. When I came back from the holidays it showed a 5 pound gain. Well, it's 3 days later and now the scale is only showing 2 pound gain. I know I am losing water by the amount of times I have to go to the bathroom. I am also like at least 10 days before my period so I have time still. I won't change the ticker till my lightest weigh in before my period. That is what I call my official weight, once that time of the month starts then it's all water retention.

I live in fear of gaining the weight back and wouldn't know how to react if I started seeing the scale climb up and up, my ticker would probably be the least of my worries.

Robin41
01-07-2008, 11:11 AM
I change my ticker anytime my weight moves by a full pound in either direction. The only exception is the two pounds I gain each month with TOM.

I have found it very easy to mislead myself about my weight in the past. It's something I'm really working on and the ticker is part of it.

Nori71
01-07-2008, 11:14 AM
Yeah, I need to update it. I'm a few more pounds down. I felt like I was changing it every other day, so maybe will only change it once a month or so?

jtammy
01-07-2008, 11:45 AM
Yeah, I need to update it. I'm a few more pounds down. I felt like I was changing it every other day, so maybe will only change it once a month or so?

LOL! I don't think I would mind changing it every other day. It would be well worth the time. :)

kissingginger
01-07-2008, 11:47 AM
It's so interesting that you posted this. So this morning I weigh myself and I am up 2 pounds. NOT HAPPY! But it's possible TOM is coming, I don't keep track of it, but I will from now on.

So while I was making tea for myself, before I even logged in the computer, I wondered - should I change my ticker? It's "only" 2 pounds. If I don't, I know I will feel guilty. But it will feel terrible to change it.

After reading everyone's posts, I think I will change my ticker to reflect my weight as of today. I think that will motivate me to stay on track (although I have been, so I'm wondering what am I doing wrong?) Although I really have thrown my body for a loop this last week...maybe it's just stubborn. Well, I'm not giving up, I'm MORE stubborn. I've played the whole "I give up game once I started gaining again," routine and I am tired of it. I will persevere through this and keep eating well and exercising - that scale will have to give.

I have to also add, my scale has been playing tricks on me, weighing me higher at my first weigh in, then declaring "error". then I get off, and try again...so hubby says we may have to replace the batteries.

"Fat, Fat go away, come again another day"

Ginger

shelby897
01-07-2008, 11:54 AM
"Hi, I'm Sue and I was a ticker fibber"!!!

Most of last year, my ticker was SO inaccurate. To me it was a reflection of how committed I was to my weight loss -- my denial about what it would take to lose weight was reflected in my ticker, as well as other areas -- somehow I was able to ignore the fact I wore a size 18/20 (from a 10/12), I could ignore how uncomfortable I felt, tired, etc. and I could "pretend" no one noticed all of the above. To change my ticker to an accurate weight, to me, would mean admitting I was headed in the wrong direction -- headed up, not down.

So, I promise all my 3FC family that this year my ticker will show my true weight -- I am only going to weigh once a month because I am also a "scale addict" -- but the first Sunday of every single month that ticker will be updated to show my progress -- up or down!!!

:D

Cassie501107
01-07-2008, 01:10 PM
My ticker is usually honest...but for the past 2 weeks, it's been telling a BIG, FAT, LIE! LOL. Tomorrow I will change it to reflect the gains that I have had since Vegas, Christmas, and my birthday...as it will NOT go up anymore. *sigh*

Oh, and I have changed my WI days to Tuesdays for a new challenge that I start tomorrow. :)

rysmommy
01-07-2008, 01:24 PM
Yes my ticker WAS lying i was avoiding the site and the ticker because i knew i had gained sadly i've gained 21-23 lbs in the last 3-4 months but i've decided to start being honest with myself and face my problems so i fixed my ticker changed my goal weight for now until i get back where i was a while ago, it's hard and sad when you gain but the ticker really is helpfull and i love being able to lower those numbers!

Nori71
01-07-2008, 02:38 PM
LOL! I don't think I would mind changing it every other day. It would be well worth the time. :)Well, I'm also trying to rub my obsessive nature the wrong way! And ticker obsession has been a hobby of mine in the past! I'm weird. I am "trying" not to focus on the scale "so much" this time. Just using it as a number to confirm what I already know. I'm wondering if I could do the once a month weigh in thing??? Maybe later, starting TBL challenge here this week, so have to post my weigh in weekly. AND post starting pictures!!!!!!! UGH.

HI Rysmommy! I was MIA for months also and had a huge weight gain. Nice to see you again!

mandalinn82
01-07-2008, 02:43 PM
LOL - my first thought when I read this was "only when my scale does".

I almost never adjust mine up - but then, right now is the only time I've been up more than a lb or two since I started maintenance. I'm waiting for it to -settle- a bit more before I move the ticker. And by settle, I mean "go down".

denialisnthappiness
01-07-2008, 02:44 PM
Did my ticker lie? Oh goodness yes! I had a bit of a relapse (can you relapse whilst still in the process of losing and not yet at maintenance?) Nov/Dec and my weight shot up around 17lbs in around 6 weeks. Did I change my ticker? No. Did I even come to this site though? No. In fact I pretty much avoided everything to do with weight loss because I felt bad about myself and felt a failure and like everyone would be noticing my weight gain etc... having just recently re-read the chapter on relapse in 'thin for life' it's like the book wrote about me - I did everything I shouldn't. Seems the times that we want to avoid things etc are the times we need to get our head down and immerse ourselves in it!

Anyway... to summarise - yes it lied. I bit the bullet just before NY weighed and updated - now it's true. The relapse has been the only inaccurate time.

famograham
01-07-2008, 02:53 PM
I always adjust my ticker down when I'm losing...but when I've fallen off the wagon and not been checking in as much as I should, I've kind of ignored my ticker. BUT, every time I've come back (to posting...not being here) I always update to reflect any gains.

I am now looking forward to adjusting it downward VERY often!

:hug:
Linda

SoulBliss
01-07-2008, 03:18 PM
No, I don't think it's productive to lie to myself or others. :o

I also only weigh once a week, realize that my weight fluctuates wildly for many reasons that have nothing to do with burning through fat stores and so I don't need a daily reminder of my POUNDS.

The only reason anyone here knows what I weigh is due to my participation in TBL challenge. Otherwise, I wouldn't discuss actual numbers. There's nothing to gain from it for me, personally! That may change for me as I get closer to goal, we'll see.

gina1221
01-07-2008, 03:39 PM
My ticker gets moved on Mondays when I weigh-in. If I gain, then my penalty is to move my ticker. If I lose, my reward is to move my ticker. :D

Ditto! ...except my weigh-ins are on Saturdays...

Reddalice
01-07-2008, 04:49 PM
LoL. My first gain-back I waited nearly 12lbs before I even touched it. I kept saying: "oh... I'm close enough.. tomorrow it'll be the truth, but today the ticker is just kinda holding my spot in line." However, the worst feeling I had (which was fleeting and ridiculous) was that everyone here would notice that I gained back weight and my progress wasn't on point. Good thing to keep in mind- Any competition here is friendly, and first and foremost 3fc is about support and community. What is that called? Fish Bowl Syndrome (when you think you always being observed)? Ironic enough, my ticker is a fish... albeit an honest one.

Lyn2007
01-07-2008, 04:52 PM
I weigh every day and I record the low weight since I know that is accurate. If I had a sustained gain I would move the ticker up. Right now, I am 245 because I gained 7lbs over Christmas, but it is coming off and I have 4 lbs to go to reach my ticker weight. It keeps my goal fresh in my mind, and I cant wait til I can move it DOWN again to 240!

valpal23
01-07-2008, 05:28 PM
I dont think I've ever moved my ticker up... it would be waaaay too discouraging at this point. I havent had a gain that lasted more than a couple days though. I get on the scale obsessively.... but once I see a low number I ease up for a couple days to solidfy in my mind that I really 'have' that number. lol

jmoon
01-07-2008, 05:39 PM
Mine is currently a lie. After new year's and my birthday, I'm up. Normally I just wait until I drop back down again. Like others of you, I don't adjust up unless it's after being away for a long time and I'm ready to start "fresh."

Hopefully I can change the darn thing back down again soon!

ChrissyBean
01-07-2008, 07:58 PM
Right now my ticker is "lying" (I'm up 5 lbs. over Xmas) BUT I refuse to switch it because I WILL get there again. It's something psychological about moving it the "wrong" way. My second ticker is accurate, though. :)

bluex
01-10-2008, 10:59 AM
Well, I think I was right in not moving it. I was up 5 pounds but in the five days I've been back I've lost 4 of those pounds, apparently most of that was water weight, otherwise I wouldn't have lost it as quickly. I still have a week at least till my period, if I am still up that one pound I'll move it up. I think picking a monthly time to change your ticker is probably a good idea, unless you are losing a lot every week which can happen in the beginning especially.

dustdiva
01-10-2008, 09:26 PM
Mine is lying, but for a different reason. It seems that every time I change the numbers on my ticker downward, I end up gaining. Silly & superstitious, I know . . . but I'm in the 230s now and want to never, ever, ever see 240 again. Maybe if I've been in this territory for a week I'll feel "safe" changing the ticker.

dustdiva
01-13-2008, 08:36 AM
I don't know whether to laugh or cry -- see my post above. Well, I did decide that after seeing the scale hanging out at 234.5# for 4 days in a row it was safe to change my ticker from 240.

This morning the scale reads a pound heavier.

I refuse to change the ticker. Tickers are evil. :p

lilybelle
01-13-2008, 08:48 AM
I don't change my ticker when my weight goes up. Mine says 142 lbs. and I'm currently at 147 lbs. I've been as low as 137 and as high as 152 during this past 1 1/2yrs. of maintenance. Seeing that lower number gives me renewed determination to get my wt. back down to that lower number!

rubberlegs
01-13-2008, 11:43 AM
Mine is lying, but that's because I haven't been here in awhile. I'll change it now.
I'm usually pretty diligent, though.

chicpanda
01-13-2008, 01:11 PM
I can't get the ticker to work with my poor computer skills. I am including the weight gain as asterisks. As in ****** (dang nab it!)