Old 01-06-2008, 05:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 218/218/180

Default Kitchen gadgets you couldn't do without??

Can anyone offer up what gadgets & do-hickies they just couldn't be without out on LAWL?? I have only one more week before my offical start date (next Monday) and want to prepare my kitchen now that I'll have it back after two years of living with my mother in-law...no wonder I fell off the wagon!!!
ChristyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 05:39 PM   #2  
Angela

S/C/G: 191/163/140

Height: 5'6"

I did LAWL in 2004 and was successful at the time. If only I had kept if off - the story of my life - LOL!... The one thing I remember using a TON was the kitchen scale. If their plan is still the same, there is alot of weighing involved (particularly of meat portions). Good luck to you!
wish4fit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 06:12 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 220/170/155

Height: 5' 8"

A good scale (not the POS they give you) and good kitchen shears for trimming fat from meat. i also bought an extra set of measuring cups so I always have some on hand to measure portions.
Good luck, Tues
Tuesday Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 06:20 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 223/ticker/140

Height: 5' 7"

small containers. like ziploc disposable containers. that hold a 1/2 cup or a cup. so you can preprotion things and have them in the refrig! grab and go!
zambejaly5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 06:41 PM   #5  

Height: 5'4"

I love my bullet mixer (and all the stuff mentioned above). I make smoothies with it, puree veggies to add to sauces, mix fruit with yogurt to pour over cereal, etc. Takes no room on the counter and they are really cheap now.

Good luck
shshshhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 06:57 PM   #6  
Megan

S/C/G: size 14/ pudgy size 10/Size 8

Height: 5'5"

I have my list of favorites.
  • Magic Bullet, I use it for more than you can imagine
  • Decent quality food scale, I got a $10 one at Target and it works wonders
  • 32 oz reusable water bottles, 2 a day and my intake is done
  • Set of measuring cups & spoons
  • Containers, containers, containers, it's much eaiser to portion out ahead of time
  • Egg slicer, it's great for slicing veggies too
  • vegetable peeler, then again I'm a cucumber girl
marzbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 07:36 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 223/ticker/140

Height: 5' 7"

speaking of a vegetable peeler.......... I used mine today on a zuccinni (SP?) and I peeled all sides down to the center seed area, til I had a pile of VERY thin Zuc peices. then I put them in a pan with a little Olive oil and garlic and then some tomatoes. and ate it like spaghetti. I saw Emeril do it the other day to replace pasta. and man it was good!!! It almost felt like real noodles. and it was all veggies!
zambejaly5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 08:26 PM   #8  
Amy- Red w/Lites

S/C/G: 286/ticker/199

Height: 5'9

I love that idea Lettie!

I am a HUGE fan of the magic bullet ( I have a bella cucina from Macy's-which is their brand of the bullet) I use it every single day!

I also use those microwave steamer bags (ziploc) almost everyday! So easy and they come out great!

You will need a great cooler to keep in your car so you always have OP foods on hand!

GL!
amylou7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 08:32 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 218/218/180

Great tips everyone!! Anyone ever get any use out of any type of all in one counter top cookers or food processors??
ChristyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 12:28 AM   #10  
LAWL Salt Police

Great suggestion Lettie.. I just bought some zuchini yesterday, and that sounds like a great way to enjoy it..

As far as gadgets, I'm an addict. That said, I don't have a magic bullet yet..

1. Slow cooker/crock pot meals are your friend... Invest in a good one.
2. Indoor rotisserrie - Liz got me one for Christmas (george forman brand) and we did a fantastic leg of lamb in it last week.
3. Food saver - can't get along without this.

A countertop food saver (or food "sucker" as I call it) or one of those new handheld jobs that comes with special bags (we have both now) are invaluable for when you cook meals or things ahead... They are especially handy if you go and buy some "Boar's Head" brand low sodium lunchmeats. Since they are fresh and free of most additives and preservatives, they spoil quickly. Doling them out in the food saver bags has saved me a bunch of money in the long run...
Dan2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 08:08 AM   #11  
Alannah

S/C/G: 260/231/140

Height: 5'3"

I'm with dan on this one too - my slow cooker is my best friend. I can cook without actually cooking. No mess, no hassle and then I can take the small containers and portion out the stuff and either put in the fridge or even the freezer for later. I tend to cook sometimes a bunch on the weekend and then freeze for later. Comes in handy when I get busy with work or life and need something quick but healthy to eat for supper or lunch for work.

Someone earlier mentioned a cooler. I don't have that but I have a good sized insulated lunch bag and a few ice packs if differing sizes that I can use to keep things cold while at work and that way I can have my lunch bag right with me so I can grab a snack when I need it. I can put an ice pack in at 6 am and when I get home at 5-6pm it is still cold.
equinetcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 08:17 AM   #12  

Height: 5'2"

My vote is for my magic bullet. I love it and I am so glad that I got one.

Lynn
LAWL franchise center
total lost 61.5 lbs.
Current weight
Original goal of 50 lbs lost – achieved
New goal to lose total of 65 lbs
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 08:45 AM   #13  
TBL Challenge Blue Team

S/C/G: 308/199/175

Height: 5'6"

I'll jump on the Magic Bullet bandwagon. I have one and make my protein drinks (slimdowns) with some frozen fruit. It takes a couple seconds and you are good to go.

The Foodsaver is also great for those items that spoil quickly, but also if you by from the warehouse type clubs (costco, BJs, Sam's, etc). We buy our meat that way, then portion it out and vacumn seal it.

I also have the drinking measuring type cups from Tupperware. I put my smoothies in it when I am on my way out the door. That and a straw and I am good to go. Alot of people use them for doing things like salad dressing.

Ziploc also makes "Snack" size bags. These are great for portioning out my fruit, like blueberries, blackberries, and grapes. I get them from the warehouse club bring them home clean them and bag them. That way I just have to grab a bag and I don't over eat.

Good luck!
krjpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 08:48 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 220/170/155

Height: 5' 8"

Counter top grill. I cook lean meat portion it out with steamed veggies and a starch for my weeks lunches. There is always something in the fridge to eat so everyone is happy. Right size containers is important.
Tuesday Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 04:53 PM   #15  

Height: 5'7"

Zip lock baggies, plastic containers, 32 oz water bottles, electric scale (bought at Wal Mart), measuring cups & spoons!

I just started so I'm measuring my stuff out, weighing it and then recording what it weighs. In the future, I'll be using the scale only to portion my food. Really cuts down on the dirty dishes.

Good luck!

Jill
ChefsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote