100 lb. Club - What do you use for Salad Dressing?

Lyn2007
01-06-2008, 05:36 PM
When you are having a salad, what do you use for dressing? I need ideas. Too many dressings are high in fat and calories. If you could post what you use (store brands or homemade recipes or any other simple dressing ideas) I would greatly appreciate it.

Lyn2007
01-06-2008, 05:38 PM
BTW the ones I mainly use are:

Kraft Fat Free Zesty Italian
Maries Light Blue Cheese Dressing, thinned with skim milk
Salsa mixed with light sour cream (for taco salads)

Help!!

denialisnthappiness
01-06-2008, 05:52 PM
I guess I could be considered really boring here - not for any health reason but I never use dressing on my salad - I just like the way it tastes plain

Not really much help my post is it :o sorry

I've heard lemon juice with a little bit of oil or balsamic vinegar is good:?:

kgood2005
01-06-2008, 05:55 PM
I like those salad spritzers. I never used as many shots as they say to use. I like the balsamic.

chick_in_the_hat
01-06-2008, 06:00 PM
Newman's Own Light Balsamic or Rasberry Walnut. :T

Spritzer's too. :D

Glory87
01-06-2008, 06:00 PM
I like Annie's Naturals - Gingerly Vinaigrette. (http://www.consorzio.com/catalog/gingerly-vinaigrette-dressing-p-1000024.html) 40 calories/2 grams of fat for a 2 tbs serving, it's very flavorful to me :)

Nori71
01-06-2008, 06:01 PM
For store bought I like Paul Newmans Light Balsamic Vinegarette.
I also like trying different recipes from allrecipes.com and adjusting the fat amount to make it more healthy.

Tonia
01-06-2008, 06:06 PM
Salad Spritzers, definately. Another option is to have the dressing on the side and dip your fork into it - all the flavor with a fraction of the calories. Great restaurant option, too.

jillybean720
01-06-2008, 06:26 PM
I'm super picky--I don't like any vinegarette or oil-based type dressings. I like CREAMY! My favorites are honey mustard dressing, thousand island, and sometimes ranch mixed with barbecue sauce. I just go ahead and use the real thing or just a low- or reduced-fat version by Kraft or whoever since a salad itself doesn't have much in the way of fat and calories. As long as you stick to serving sizes, it won't blow your day.

I have, though, recently started seeking out dressings with healthier ingredients. This doesn't necessarily mean fewer calories or less fat, but it does mean less junk (for example, who needs high fructose corn syrup in a salad dressing?).

I've heard the "dip your fork in the dressing" tip as well, but when I do that, I don't get enough of the dressing flavor for my tastes. And I tried eating a salad plain without any dressing once--definitely not for me!

lois lane
01-06-2008, 06:35 PM
Since you are asking...I really do not like Kraft.I do not like the spritzers either. Not sure why. But I love Ken's Steakhouse Dressing. I've found them in most stores. They have a few Low Fat ones that to me, taste like the real thing. My fav is balsamic vinagrete/50 cals/5fatgr per serving. The lite ranch is also good. There is also a good Ceasar one.

Goddess Jessica
01-06-2008, 06:37 PM
Salsa.

I find most light salad dressings don't hit the spot for me so I just skip it entirely and use salsa.

rockinrobin
01-06-2008, 06:43 PM
I use balsamic vinegar. Or distilled vinegar. Or lemon juice. I also put yummy things in my salad, so they don't have to be heavily dressed - grilled chicken and plain tuna for instance.

I make all sorts of salads, not all with lettuce. I make cabbage salads. And tomato salads and cucumber salads. Again, no need for heavy, caloric dressings.

Trazey34
01-06-2008, 06:52 PM
to eat a lot of raw veggies i need a little "dip" so a splash of Hidden Valley low cal ranch hits the spot

otherwise i make my own - in a little bowl i have a biiiig splash of a yummy syrupy balsamic or champagne vinegar, a sploosh of honey mustard, a sprinkle of fresh garlic and some herbs and whisk it all up and voila, quite yummy! it'll keep in a jar for a couple days

sockmonkey70
01-06-2008, 07:33 PM
I use mainly Wishbone Fat Free Chunky Blue Cheese...It doesn't taste fat free to me LOL...And if I am feeling naughty I just use regular blue cheese dressing. I haven't found a good light ranch that I like yet :(

Purplefirefly
01-06-2008, 07:49 PM
What I'm using right now:

Kraft Light Balsamic Vinaigrette (2T= 25 calories, 1 g fat)--even my picky eater kid loves this taste!

South Beach Diet Ranch Dressing (2T= 70 calories, 7 g fat)--I use this for my kids as a healthier option, but for me it's used when I want something creamy. It does taste like regular ranch to me, and the kids do not tell the difference. Hubby is now eating it without complaint, which means it must taste good, he's super super picky.

I really love honey mustard, but have not found one that is low enough in calories or fat for me. I almost always use one like the Kraft listed about, though the specific brand and taste varies.

nelie
01-06-2008, 08:03 PM
Salsa - so many varieties and so many different tastes. Very low calorie too.

Purplefirefly
01-06-2008, 08:05 PM
Forgot to add...I sometimes use cottage cheese mixed with just a little bit of ranch...tastes good, different consistancy, and gives the salad a punch of protein.

jillybean720
01-06-2008, 08:16 PM
South Beach Diet Ranch Dressing (2T= 70 calories, 7 g fat)--I use this for my kids as a healthier option, but for me it's used when I want something creamy. It does taste like regular ranch to me, and the kids do not tell the difference. Hubby is now eating it without complaint, which means it must taste good, he's super super picky.

I really love honey mustard, but have not found one that is low enough in calories or fat for me. I almost always use one like the Kraft listed about, though the specific brand and taste varies.
I use Ken's Lite Honey Mustard dressing--90 cals and 5g fat per 2 T, so not much worse calorie-wise than the SBD ranch, and evenbetter on fat :)

Purplefirefly
01-06-2008, 08:29 PM
Jill---I have had the Ken's lite HM and it is super yummy, problem is I would only eat that while I had it, and wanted it on everything, not just salads...such a binge food for me! I only eat the SB ranch maybe once a month, and I dont like it enough to want it all the time, so I am afraid to buy the Ken's HM again :T on a higher calorie day it would be okay if I could limit to one serving...but I found that I can't! I hope to be stronger one day with portion control of my favorites, but so far I have to just keep it out of the kitchen.

I do get honey mustard on my subs at Subway though, I looked on their website and what they use is not bad for when I have to eat out...though I forget now the calorie/fat in theirs, but it wasn't high.

Schmoodle
01-06-2008, 09:11 PM
The best dressing I've ever had is Trader Joe's Goddess dressing. I could drink it straight from the bottle. It is not low fat or low cal, but a little goes a long way and it's made with healthy fats and no sugars.
The problem with a lot of the lite dressings is that they replace the fats with sugars.

SuchAPrettyFace
01-06-2008, 09:32 PM
The problem with a lot of the lite dressings is that they replace the fats with sugars.And they jack up the sodium so you won't notice the difference in flavor.

I usually mix light ranch with light sour cream. Sometimes I make my own oil/vinegar dressing.

knitsforfive
01-06-2008, 10:06 PM
I combine about 2 t.miso paste (health food or Japanese store) with about 3 t. rice vinegar and just a splash of olive oil. I add garlic powder, salt, and dill to this. This is enough for everyone's salads. I am not kidding when I say that my pickiest child begs me for some salad when this is the dressing. You can also use milk instead of the vinegar (I have a dd allergic to caesin so no milk) and it ends up tasting like ranch dressing -- all for less than 20 calories and only a tiny bit of fat (if you add the splash of olive oil).

Trazey34
01-06-2008, 10:28 PM
sorry i didn't mean honey mustard it's in the same kinda squeezy bottle, but it's "horseradish" mustard, insanely good, and it's only 10 cals! yay

Spinymouse
01-06-2008, 10:39 PM
I make my own; it varies and I don't measure. Something like one part balsamic vinegar; one part lemon juice; one part extra virgin olive oil, a small bit of dijon mustard; some herbs, maybe dill, or basil, or oregano. Maybe I'll add a bit of oil from a jar of anchovies, maybe some juice from an orange... maybe some plain yogurt depending on what kind of salad it is. I don't like really sweet or viscous salad dressings.

foucault
01-06-2008, 10:48 PM
I love balsamic vinaigrette. The kind I get at Trader Joe's is fat free and low cal.

Eves
01-06-2008, 11:12 PM
I also put yummy things in my salad, so they don't have to be heavily dressed - grilled chicken and plain tuna for instance.

One thing I've done to sort of change up the tuna is to add a tablespoon of relish. It's what, 20 calories per tbsp. and makes the tuna taste great. Now that I'm back and have access to relish, it's replacing fat free or diet mayo for all of my tuna needs.

I'm also big on the bit of lemon juice and some salt for me spinach salads.

If you like the taste of onions, I also do this:

cut red onions into squares, put them in a bowl and add a LOT of salt. Add enough water to cover the onions. Wait 15 minutes and then rinse off all of the salt.

From the now "cooked" onions you can do a couple of things: Add some lemon and just put it on the salad. Or add some red vinegar and pepper. This goes great with salads, or meat, or potatoes, rice, everything! Except dessert.

Beverlyjoy
01-07-2008, 08:43 AM
I use Kraft LIght Done Right Red Wine and Vinegar and Marzetti light Blue Cheese (find it in the produce department) as a dip for veggies.

Marseille
01-07-2008, 10:57 AM
I use whatever dressing I feel like that day... full fat, full calorie.. ranch or french or sesame ginger.. Lite and fat free don't give me the satisfaction I need from my food.. I just count the calories and work it out.

nylisa
01-07-2008, 12:16 PM
I like the Newman's Own dressings:
http://www.newmansown.com/product_list.cfm?cat_id=7

& Annie's Natural dressings (but check names/labels for low fat/fat free ones):
http://www.consorzio.com/catalog/dressings-c-26.html

In the office I keep balsamic vinegar & a little pepper mill. Doesn't need refrigeration & it's a good alternative to dressing.

michellenew
01-07-2008, 01:24 PM
Vinegar.

Just Plain Vinegar Is What I Use For My Salads.
I Love Tha Cabbage Salad With Vinegar And Fresh Ground Pepper.you Should Try It Once.

Michelle

CT Cabo Girl
01-07-2008, 05:23 PM
I do a low carb diet and use Marie's Chunky Blue Cheese with 0 carbs per serving

Reddalice
01-08-2008, 05:11 AM
I was lost before Trader Joe's came to my town. They have a perfect garlic ranch for 30 calories per 2tbls. It hits the spot, it's semi-creamy, but my favorite way to eat it is in addition to wraps, as vegetable dip, or on salmon.

gr8smyl99
01-08-2008, 08:30 AM
I'm also a fan of Ken's. Their light Honey Mustard is really good. But my fav is the Light Aisian Ginger. It has less "junk" than most bottled dressings - and lower in fat/calories. Plus it has a bit of a kick - which I think adds lots of flavor.

Also - I like just drizzling "good" olive oil & some wine vinegar. My trick with the vinegar is that when I get it home from the store, I split about 3 cloves of garlic & stick them in it. Plus a little bit of oregano.

boaterswife
01-08-2008, 11:11 AM
Mmmm, can't believe I've never looked at the dressings at Trader Joes...I go in and get my Better 'n Peanut Butter and leave as I'm usualy in a hurry. I'll have to alot more time next time I'm there!

I usually opt for the Kraft Lite Done Right dressings as they have a little more flavor than the fat free, but aren't nearly as bad as the full fat versions. I use very little dressing on my salads so this works out ok for me.

As for the Honey Mustard dressing, for that I really like the Marzetti's Fat Free version. In fact, it's the only FF dressing I use.....a serving is 2T, 50 cal, 0 fat. Love it!

jillybean720
01-08-2008, 11:29 AM
As for the Honey Mustard dressing, for that I really like the Marzetti's Fat Free version. In fact, it's the only FF dressing I use.....a serving is 2T, 50 cal, 0 fat. Love it!
Marzetti's? Is that in the aisle with the salad dressings, or is it a cold dressing in the produce section?

Honey mustard--definitely a FAVORITE of mine, and not just on salads! Love it on chicken, wraps, sandwiches, turkey sausage...

Purplefirefly
01-08-2008, 11:30 AM

Ohhhh, thank you so much for posting this! I put it on my list to check out next time I shop.

Jill--I like it on other things as well...esp. if I make homemade chicken nuggets, it's a great dip.

CyberGypsy
01-08-2008, 11:51 AM
I use regular salad dressings BUT i dip my fork into the small cup of dressing with every bite..... I hardly use any and have all the flavor :)

RitzyFritz
01-08-2008, 06:03 PM
I use regular salad dressings BUT i dip my fork into the small cup of dressing with every bite..... I hardly use any and have all the flavor :)

I do this EVERY time and find that doing it this way I get dressing taste with each bite but use a LOT less than when I used to drowned my salads!!

Also, a LOT of FF dressings have HFCS!! :( Not a good thing, so I try to search for those who don't. So far, believe it or not, the ONLY LF Ranch I have found that doesn't have it is the Wal-Mart (Great Value) brand of the LIGHT Ranch. At $1.24 a bottle, it is economical and it really tastes great.