South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 01-06-2008, 09:16 AM   #1  

Default Does anyone make their own bread?

I'm still in phase one, but I know that come phase two I'm going to want to have a piece of bread for a sandwich every once and a while.

I'm intimidated by the labels on the bread - I can't ever figure out if what it says is good or not and I seem to spend just as much time in the bread aisle as I do across the rest of the grocery store.

So, I thought maybe it would be better if I could make my own bread so I know exactly what is going into it. Does anyone do this? Any recipes? Or even tips on brands of bread that are best.

Thanks!
MellieInWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 09:20 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I could never make myt own bread, there is nothing better than home made bread , fresh out of the oven with lots of butter, I could never stop with just one slice.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 09:33 AM   #3  

My husband can't stop at one slice either, which means I'll ever only get a piece or two out of every loaf. Probably a blessing in disguise!
MellieInWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 11:25 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 155/141/138

Height: 5'7"

I got a bread machine for Christmas - a coworker had one and I was intrigued, plus I can make bread my way with healthy ingredients! The first loaf was not SBD acceptable (buttermilk with plain AP flour), but it was good and easy for a first try. Yesterday I made a whole wheat loaf (not totally on plan, but I am still experimenting!) which was very good, DH and I both preferred it. We had a slice each yesterday with soup for lunch and made breakfast today with one slice of toast each (plus eggs, etc). DH commented on how it has so much more flavor and was a more filling part of the meal than the stuff from the store. I have more recipes I want to try - all focusing on whole grains and planned into a meal so I do not mindlessly eat all of the warm, fresh bread!

I would like to figure out how to make hamburger buns - I have found breads that are ok (I focus on staying away from HFCS, Weight Watchers has a good one and some in the organic section are good), but get stuck on buns anytime I want to use them and stay on plan. I too have spent a ridculous amount of time on the bread aisle (also cereal) looking for products with whole grains and all the sugar/chemicals!

Yogurt Whole Wheat Bread (1 1/2 pound loaf)
3/4 cup plain nonfat yogurt
1/4 cup warm water
1 tbls vegetable oil
1 1/2 tbls maple syrup
1 tsp salt
1 1/8 cup whole wheat flour
1 2/3 cup bread flour
1 1/2 tbls wheat germ (I had flax seed so I ground and used it)
1 1/2 tsp active dry yeast

Followed bread machine directions and 3 hours later had bread!

Last edited by amasam; 01-06-2008 at 11:31 AM.
amasam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 11:42 AM   #5  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

I love making my own bread! I don't follow SB, so I'm not sure what ingredients you can and can't have. Google SB and bread recipes and I bet you will find a bunch.

My breadmaker is one of my favorite appliances because it allows me to choose what I add to my bread. We make our own soy milk, so the okara (soy sludge) is a great protein additive which also gives the bread a nice, moist texture.

If you don't have a breadmaker, all that kneading is great exercise too! The only caution I have has already been stated - warm, fresh bread is sooooo inviting. It is hard to stop after one slice
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 01:09 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 158/156/125

Height: 5'4"

Hi, I used to make my own bread and then I found a frozen white bread in the (bread freezer section )store that is just as good. You still need to take it out of the freezer about 7 hours to rise before you want to cook it.
Rebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 07:12 AM   #7  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

I also make my own with a bread machine. I want to try that recipe, amasam!
I wonder if you could substitute agave necter for the maple syrup and use all WG flour? I usually just buy mixes from the store if I can find them, or I order them from King Arthur Flour's site.
It is WAY more filling than store bought bread, although I do have to buy the store kind when I am out of mixes and can't find them locally.

Last edited by femmecreole; 01-07-2008 at 07:14 AM.
femmecreole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 08:34 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 155/141/138

Height: 5'7"

My breadmachine recipe book suggests adding wheat gluten in their recipes using more whole wheat flour/non wheat flours - to make it rise better. I bought some, just have not used it (yet).

I am sure something could be subsituted for the maple syrup - but again, I am still in the following recipe, I will make changes after more practice/learning how the machine works! Plus, for a loaf it was not that much, still not perfect, but SO MUCH better than HFCS!
amasam is offline   Reply With Quote