Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2002, 04:34 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Default Counting down from 250 and beyond - January 30th and slogging through winter!

Welcome to everyone!! We are a wonderful group of friends from all over and from various starting points. We're here to share laughter, frustrations, disappointments, and wonderful successes. If you're looking for support, we're here for all. Come on in and join the group.

Old 01-30-2002, 04:49 PM   #2  

Hello ladies!

We'll its a snow day here in Missouri. Actually more like an ice day. I decided to work at home rather than spend 2 hours trying to get to the office. So I'm trapped in the house with the housebound dog too. No walk for us tonight.

Jerry Springer has got to be the worst show on TV. Good grief I cannot believe my eyes. I believe I'll be changing the channel now.

I went to the doc yesterday to have my BP checked and med renewed. We talked about the struggle with weight and being stuck at the same point. She did offer that she too tried all last year and didn't lose anything. She did say that I have to remember the long term good that I am doing for myself by exercising and having made changes. Its more than just the scale.

I use WW online tools and print out recipes and menu plans. It always has 5 points worth of snacks a day.

Here's a few ideas for snacks in case anyone gets stumped:

cocoa 2 pts

1/2 cup sugar free fruit flavored gelatin, topped with 1/2 cup low fat ready-to-eat granola cereal 1 pt

10 average fat free crackers, spread with 1 tbsp fat-free cream cheese 2 pts

1 serving TCBY Treats nonfat, no sugar-added soft serve frozen yogurt, small cup topped with 3 tbsp low fat ready to eat granola 1 3 pts

2 average graham crackers, spread with 1/2 tbsp peanut butter 2 points

1 cup artifically sweetened yogurt, topped with 3 tbsp wheat germ 3 pts

1 cup celery, cut into sticks with 2 tbsp fat free black bean dip
zero! points

1 small wheat pita, sliced and toasted 1 pt

1/2 oz chocolate chips 1 pt

Hope this helps! I have lots more and can post if you want.

Now, I need to go check ebay and see how my bid is faring.

More later!
Old 01-30-2002, 05:21 PM   #3  
CatGal

Default Hello my old friend!

Hi Determined Terri!

I hope you remember me! I am starting this journey all over again! I gained back all but about 9 of my pounds since I was last here. My accident really threw me FAR off the wagon. But I am back on!

I am so glad to hear that you are still here doin what you do best! I can't wait to get reacquainted!
Gina
Old 01-30-2002, 07:55 PM   #4  

Terri is the whole pita a point or just half of the pita? My friend told me that at her last meeting her leader said half of a pita(one pocket) is a point. My leader told me that the whole pita is a point. I am having such a BAD day and I know tommorow will be better and each point will be more important than ever. I am sitting here staring at a chocolate bar that I know I really don't need but after a bad day is so tempting. Old cycles are much harder to break then I like to admit.
Old 01-31-2002, 07:01 AM   #5  

Wellevery one has been very inspiring, as usual! I am still substantially computerless which is driving me crazy. The insurers are just not getting off their behinds. They said they would send a cheque about 10 days ago now....has it arrived? it has not.
Anyway, I have been reading the thread and feeling very supported. I lost 1.5 last week, which given that I had a bit of a wobble with some indian food, and a couple of meals out, is very good. The extra walking I am doing is paying off. Four days a week I walk down to the town, which takes about 12-15 mins each way, so that is 20-30 mins of walking exercise. It is getting easier too, now i have been doing it for two weeks. At first it was really hard, and I was tired, but yesterday I did it twice (an hours walking nearly!) and felt fine. Well, sore hips and a bit puffed, but that is to be expected. I wonder if some of the fit things you see out there could carry a 125 pound weight on thier backs and still do what they do? I think not. We are in fact very fit ladies! We carry enormous weights around with us the whole time - wow! that makes us strong! (well, its one perspective....... )

Are your spring bulbs out yet? I am really worried - not only are my snow drops up (which I expect at this time of year) but so are the daffs, tulips, and even the hyacynths, which is weird. the weather is all over the place.
Anyway, now must go because I OPENED THE POST AND THE CHEQUE HAS ARRIVED!
love lilac
Old 01-31-2002, 10:26 AM   #6  
CatGal

Hi Lilac,
I really like your point of view about us ladies carrying all that extra weight around with us. I have always felt the same way... Can you imagine how fit we will become as we shed our pounds? I look forward to having things get much easier as I go along!

I look forward to getting to know you.
G
Old 01-31-2002, 03:15 PM   #7  
Slimwithin

Default What a week!

Tomorrow is my weigh-in and I'm very much afraid I'll show a gain. I've barely moved a muscle all week, party due to being snowbound but partly laziness. I do have the aeroglider just sitting there staring at me. Yesterday I found some chocolates left from Christmas and really did a number on them. I did write it all down though and wasn't too much over my points, but I know I omitted eating something healthy to allow for the naughtiness points. I think this is something I have to develop a strategy for. If, for example, chocolates are calling me (or any other nosh that is high in points), I should first make sure that I've had all my milks. If not, I should have my fruit and yogurt and see if that satisfies my craving. Next, if it's crunchiness I crave, I should fix some raw veggies and dip or some popcorn. Only as a last resort (and probably even not then) should I succumb to temptation.
And, one of my most satisfying snacks lately has been a bowl of hot grainy oatmeal with chopped apples cooked with it. Served with warm milk and a few chopped walnuts it really hits the spot for a low point snack.
Our snow is melting now so, hopefully next week I can get back to the pool.
Welcome newcomers and those who've been away a while. Great to see you here.
Lilac, you are so right about us being fitter than our skinny sisters. Who else carries an extra 100 or more pounds around on a daily basis?
Old 01-31-2002, 06:12 PM   #8  

Hello ladies!

We have been beat down with a sleet/ice/snow storm the last couple of days. I've been home for two days because I won't drive in the ice. I brought work home so I could avoid the wasted time stuck in the car.

Sadly, we have severe damage to almost all of our trees. Our trees are very mature. I especially mourn the loss of the ones outside the window that blocked the view of all the neighbors. We'll have to get professional services to try to salvage them. DH and I drove around today and the whole down is so devastating. So many beautiful trees destroyed by frozen water.

I did get out and scape the driveway yesterday. I spent about an hour chipping and scraping off about 1 inch of ice. No wonder my upper arms are sore today! But that had to have burned off a few points. Today, the dog was driving us insane being housebound so I took us for a walk. We had to walk in the street but it felt great to be outside. Dumb dog didn't care at all that its cold and icy.

Another thing the doc and I talked about was exercise. She basically said that life isn't fair and for some people it takes more exercise than others to lose weight. For me, the 2 mile dog walk isn't enough. My sis doesn't exercise at all and loses big time. So, we must accept how our bodies respond and work with it. How fair is that??!!??

Gina!!! I certainly do remember you. Welcome back! I'm still hanging in here. I'm so glad you're back at it too.

Tammy - I checked the WW online for the pita. It lists a small wheat pita as 1 point. You might check the point value based on the nutritional info on what you have on hand.

Lilac - Your room sounds wonderful. So creative. I miss your posts. Hope you can get back online regular soon. Congrats on your loss! You're doing great with the walking too. Come spring you'll be able to toodle around town on your bicycle.

Linda - Sounds like you've got a great plan for beating the munchies. I used to snack on cereal bars until I realized that I could eat four apples for the one bar. Its hard to remember that you can get more food if you make the right choices. Good luck with the scale.

I better get busy on paperwork. Tomorrow is back to work and I'll have to work on the weekend to get caught up.

Have a great evening!
Old 01-31-2002, 06:30 PM   #9  

Well, our plan to walk today was foiled by the weather. It's a lovely mid-60s in our yard now -- but was we went up the mountain is got both colder and (more importantly) much, much windier! So we ended up just lookin' at the view and heading home. In many ways this was probably just as well as we have a lot of work to do this weekend. SOoooo we began early today.

GinaMarie -- Welcome back! Its never the wrong time to start payin' attention to your health again, eh?

Lilac -- I find the thing about weight sooooo true. I go backpacking -- with an additional 25 to 30# on my back on a long trip and I am soooooooooooo looking forward to our first overnighter this spring 'cause I'm more than 30# lighter and so the hiking should be even easier than usual, ya know?

Tammy -- For the longest time I did all my points by calculating the information on the package no matter what my WW books told me. Guess I didn't quite trust 'em yet! A quick and dirty rule of thumb if you don't have your point calculator with you is that 50 calories = ~1 point. Its not perfect but its enough to get ya through when you're stuck without your point slide rule!

Linda -- The crunchy craving is my worst enemy. I'm always wanting crunch and salty at the same time and there jsut don't seem to be many choices out there for healthily satisfying both urges. Bravo to you for thinking your urges out in advance!!

Terri -- I'm sorry to hear about your trees. Its hard when you lose a tree 'cause it takes so very long to fix the damage. I'm one of those "gotta exercise a ton to lose weight" folks, too, so I'll sit here and comisserate with you. And then we need to get off our duffs and go work out! *sigh*

See y'all again soon!!
Old 01-31-2002, 07:53 PM   #10  

Default Fruits and veggies

Me again!

I found this info in Fitness magazine. Here's a list of fruits and veggies and the good things they do for our bodies.

Protection against:
apples - lung and other cancers, heart disease

blueberries - heart disease, urinary tract infections

carrots - cancer, heart disease, high blood pressure

broccoli - breast, colon and other cancers, heart disease, age-related macular degeneration

dried plums - heart disease, osteoporosis

lemon and limes - cancer

grapes - heart disease

cherries - heart disease, high blood pressure

onions - cancer, heart disease

tomatoes - breast and prostrate cancers, heart disease, high blood pressure, birth defects

spinach - age-related macular degeneration, cataracts, cancer, high blood pressure, birth defects

oranges - cancer, heart disease, high blood pressure, birth defects

Eat UP!
Old 02-01-2002, 08:55 AM   #11  

Hello!

I'm still not quite feeling well (ah, well) and today would be weigh-in expect that I need to make the rent and we're shy this month (its always hard in the winter -- our best sales come in the summer) so I'll weigh-in next week. My friendly homescale says I'm down a pound but its notoriously +/- a pound so who knows?

Terri -- your "Me again!" sounded sooooo happy and fun! It made me laugh out loud to read - which made my teen come to see what was up and then roll her eyes at me.

See y'all later, then!
Old 02-01-2002, 10:17 AM   #12  
CatGal

Default Good Morning Everyone!

Ugh! I am soooooo tired today!

We got our first treadmill yesterday and I did my first "workout". A big one mile at 2mph and a level incline. Sounds lame, but boy did it get my heat going! I felt great after I finished, but I am a bit sore today, mostly the arm that I busted (from hanging onto those hand rails)! My knees are also a bit perturbed. But mostly I am tired! I hope I get over this soon. I plan on treadmilling as much as possible. I hope I start to get that energy boost soon...

Anyway, forgive me for not replying to you each individually. Thank you all for your warm welcomes and welcome backs! I hope your weather all improves!
Gina
Old 02-01-2002, 10:39 AM   #13  

Hi everyone!
Bunny - I am so jealous of your hiking.....I think I said before that I visited your part of the world once (I stayed in the forest hills resort, and very nice it was too). I wish I could go walking there...!
Linda - snacks.....what a thing that is. I tend to eat all the chocolate I find around the house. I have asked for it not be brought in to the house and to be hidden when it is here.....but I know the hiding places ! I eat oats and fruit too....have you tried breaking a banana in to about 4 pieces (so you get nice big bits) and cooking that in to it? yum.....the outside of the banana goes all sweet and ... err...slimy (trust me this is nice) and the inside is just warm and sweet..... yum.
Terri - shame about your trees. I love old trees. was it an ice storm like that sigorney weaver film? I am sure clearing your drive was loads of points. Do you put salt down? that is what I do but maybe we dont get as much ice and snow as you do.
Gina - Well, Gina good luck with having another go at the weight reduction thing....it takes a few tries sometimes to get to the right time to do it, you know? I look forward to getting to know you too!

And what about me? well, I did not get the computer yesterday, and am not even going to begin to go in to the VERY IRRITATING details about that. I will keep you all posted (not that it is very interesting......!!
)
I ate a danish this morning which cost me six points. It was one of those tests where someone says 'I brought you this cake to help you through the morning in the office' and you are supposed to say 'oh no thanks' but I am afraid I said 'oh thanks - my favourite' and ate it all (even though it is not my favourite and I did not want it as I wanted to save the points for wine tonight!). Grrrr. My fault though. But why would someone bring me a cake? what is that about? just being friendly maybe......or maybe something else. Oh well, it cost me six points which I am a bit annoyed about. Next time I will say no.
Tonight I am doing filet steak (five points) with sweet potato baked 'chips' (I think that is 'fries' in american) (five points) and mayo (2pts). Maybe I will be able to afford a small glass of wine. I am supposed to be on 26 pts today. If I walk to the shops now I could get a bonus point and use that.........
Grrrrr. yucky danish.
live and learn.....
this weekend I am just pottering in the house. I obviously want to do things in my study (I will not even whishper the c word....) ( if you know what I mean..... ) and I have some college stuff to do, so it is that sort of weekend. I might make soup. whatever.
love to all
Lilac (who is wistfully making a mental list of what would be worth rebudgeting the points for and realising that Danish Pastry is about number 72 on the list..............although almond croissant might be a different matter.....as might passioncake with that buttery icing stuff.......... )
Old 02-01-2002, 04:01 PM   #14  

Oh, Lilac -- I just hadda chime in on the 6 pts you didn't even want.... 'cause I just got back from twenty point lunch!! And it wasn't even yummy. So its soup for dinner. And I gotta move this ol' body. I'll do better next time (and so will you).
Old 02-01-2002, 08:04 PM   #15  
Slimwithin

Well, shame on me for feeling glad that I'm not the only one with regrets today. Yesterday in the back of the freezer I found a bag of peppermint patties and I don't even LIKE peppermint combined with chocolate. I had about 10 of them before I remembered that though.
Anyhow, as predicted my weight was up for WI this morning but not as much as I'd feared. A little under 1/2 pound which reinspired me to try harder this week.
So, what's the first thing I did? I came home and baked a Pineapple Angel Food cake, something being bandied about the weight loss e-mail support group I belong to. It makes a 10 x 13 pan and at 12 servings with 3 points per serving it's something worth having individually wrapped in the freezer for those times I'm feeling like a treat. I also made another batch of the Jello Fluff dessert as it's very luscious and only about 2 points for a 3/4 cup serving. Now I have no excuse to go snooping about for chocolates.
Lilac, Thanks for the tip about the bananas in oatmeal but I'm afraid I'm not especially fond of bananas at the best of times. Just the thought of those slimy chunks in my oatmeal makes me want to gag. For the life of me I can't understand why they're one of baby's first solid foods. For me a banana spells instant heartburn. No wonder I had so much milky/banana spit-up when my babes were tiny. Yuck!
Terri that is sad about the trees. I guess it's nature's way of culling though, just like forest fires. Most gov'ts tend to just let them burn if they're not threatening civilization. I guess an ice storm comes under the same category. Pity when they're really special trees though.
Today at WW we were given a print-out of the points in the prepared foods sold at M&M Meats. Anybody got one of those stores in their area? Not as high in points as I had thought so I just may pick up a few items for those days I don't feel like cooking. If anybody wants to know the points, just let me know. Happy to share.
Oops, almost forgot to mention that there's an article in this week's People magazine featuring six people who lost a lot of weight using various methods. It was quite inspiring. I think you can find it on the People website too if you don't want to buy the magazine.
LindaBC

Last edited by LindaBC; 02-01-2002 at 08:07 PM.
Closed Thread