Support Groups - Crazy Canuks Cluck Club -- 2008

Pages : [1] 2

View Full Version : Crazy Canuks Cluck Club -- 2008

meowee
01-04-2008, 09:16 AM
Good Morning Crazies . . . :hug: . . .

Well it's a brand new day and a brand new year . . . so . . .

. . . here we are at our new chat thread for the next few months.

One little spot in the great big 3FC world where we can speak/spell 'Canadian' when we need to . . . use the metric system for temperatures and measurements . . . and talk about great 'finds' for the diet concious in Canadian stores . . . all without having to wonder if anybody else will know what it is we are talking about.

If you are a continuing member . . . :welcome . . . glad you found us and don't forget to "subscribe" to the thread so you'll be able to find us more easily from now on. If you are a brand new member . . . :wel3fc: . . . as well. Tell us where you're from and what your programme is and then just jump on in and start posting.

Hope everybody has a great moving and shaking kind of day planned. If we just keep doing the best we can, as much as we can, the rewards will follow.

See you soon . . . :wave:

meowee
01-04-2008, 09:23 AM
Hi everybody . . . :wave:

Had a great Christmas/New Year's on Ontario. The trip home from Halifax airport in a terrible blizzard on Wednesday night was horrendous, though. To top it off somebody else decided to take home my luggage and I didn't get it until late Thursday evening. :mad:

Cats are all fine and dandy although they did get a little destructive while I was gone -- guess they were bored -- but nothing that cannot be replaced was broken.

Anyway . . . it's time to get myself back in gear -- I managed to gain 5 pounds during December -- could have been worse, considering all the junk I ate and all the exercise I did not do. ;)

Hope the year is treating everybody just fine so far -- have a great day and I'll see you all later. :D

Neroausity
01-06-2008, 01:08 PM
Hello, first post here ever! Just found this forum this morning, so I signed right up! I'm on the flex program, living in Kelowna BC. The weather here is ridiculous, there's little snow left, and yesterday it rained and was 6 degrees! Today it's supposed to snow, but it's 6 degrees again, so we're thinking it will be rain.

I'm a 30 something woman working at Shaw Cable in a technical role. I'm single with 2 darling cats, and have only lived in BC for 8 years (moved from Sask).

I work out at the YMCA at least 4 days a week, sometimes 5. I have a very hard time getting motivated, as I hate working out but am addicted to it at the same time, if that makes sense! I started the whole WW plan last week with a friend, who sadly works the opposite shift I do, so we're not doing very well supporting each other, though we really are trying!

I'm going to do my best to post here as often as I can. Hopefully we can attract more Canadians here!!!

meowee
01-07-2008, 06:59 AM
Hi there Crazies . . . :grouphug . . . and a big :welcome: to NEROAUSITY.

Life has been a bit chaotic around here for the past few days but hopefully it will get back to it's normal dull and boring again really soon and I'll get more time to chat. At least the weather is being somewhat cooperative -- although very dull, it is definitely warming up and supposed to hit 5 today.

Have a great day . . . see you all again really soon (I hope) . . . :wave:

practiceliving
01-07-2008, 01:00 PM
Hi all! We've been a quiet bunch lately, eh?

I'm still trucking along, slowly. I've been fighting the mental battle of weight loss for the last couple months, and I think I'm starting to win. Now it's time to get serious about the nutrition and exercise battles, too! :D

back at it
01-08-2008, 07:48 PM
I'm on board! I'm on day 2 of Slim in 6 and I'm very sore, this to shall pass! LOL!
Weather here in the Peg is awesome but it's supposed to cool off to -11 by the end of the week, I know, I know, nice weather in Winnipeg unreal!! LMAO!

meowee
01-09-2008, 11:57 AM
Hi gang . . . :wave:

Just another little fly-by for me today. Wow I'll be glad when this latest stint of 'working while retired' is over and I can get back to doing the important stuff. :lol:

Keep fighting the good fight, everybody . . . :carrot:

back at it
01-10-2008, 12:35 AM
Just checking in!! Hummm, I thought there used to be lots of us Canadians here?!?
Have a good day tomorrow all!

meowee
01-10-2008, 09:09 AM
Yep . . . there were/are . . . just don't know where everybody is hiding. Maybe they are all as busy as I am -- but things are getting a little better -- at least I got to say HI for the second day in a row. :lol:

back at it
01-10-2008, 04:30 PM
LOL!~ I'm trying to get on here every day, I think it will help keep me motivated if I check in!
Went and applied for passports today!! A trip to Mexico is in my near future! Thats if I can take my boy, waiting for the passport office to let me know if it was approved.....
Have an awesome day everyone!

meowee
01-11-2008, 02:09 PM
:wave:

back at it
01-11-2008, 06:34 PM
Wowzers it's quiet here!

meowee
01-14-2008, 07:45 AM

This is beyond quiet . . . :shrug:

back at it
01-14-2008, 02:44 PM
Hi Meowee!! Glad these someone about! LOL!
I'm doing well with exercise and am on day 8 of it! Whoohoo! I'm down 1.5 inches on my waist already!

Bitterly cold here in the Peg, I think it's -30 still and it's almost 2PM! Yuck!

meowee
01-15-2008, 08:43 AM
Hi Wendy . . . :wave:

Well . . . Winter is back to the Maritimes . . . we have a layer of white and sparkly all over everywhere again. Unfortunately it is still snowing -- sideways, since the wind is just howling out there. I'm just glad I do not have to go out anywhere today. :yes:

Have a great day . . . :hug:

back at it
01-15-2008, 06:16 PM
Same here! Not snowing yet but the wind is sure strong today, and cold!
I have to go out an have dinner with my folks so I'll have to brave the weather!
Take care!

Justwant2Bhealthy
01-15-2008, 10:59 PM
WOW ~ sorry to see this thread is so quiet these days; I'm so busy posting in my regular threads, plus welcoming newbies, and adding my 2 cents in other forums, that sometimes I forget about this thread.

But every now and then, something will remind me, and I'll go on a search to find you again. I have even been sending other Canadians here to join in. I have noticed though, that some of our regular Canadians haven't been around for awhile at all; not sure why. I hope that means they are just tres, tres busy and nothing is wrong.

My family has been having some terrible trials over the last few months; lots of cancer diagnosis'; even my little furry baby, SWEETIE, has a tumor. But we are making her life as comfortable as we can and spoiling her as much as possible; she deserves it: for she is LOVE with fur ...

There are days when I'm a bit rushed though. We just got a newer car; our old one conked out on us last week. Tomorrow, we are going to inquire about a house in town; so we have lots on our schedule for this week too.

Well, just wanted to drop by and say hi; I can ramble on when I get going. We've had lots of snow up here in NORTHERN ONTARIO and it's now starting to get colder. I have been enjoying the few odd days of sunshine lately; a real blessing.

Well, that's all for now; take good care. Will try to make a concerted effort to get back here more often; I know that you ladies are trying hard to keep this thread going. And, it would be a shame for it to stop, esp when there are dozens of Canadians on this site.

Bye for now, :hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

back at it
01-16-2008, 11:00 PM
Sorry to hear you are having a rough time with illnesses.
Today was cold...well it is winter! LOL!
Day 9 of working out and it's getting easier!! I'm kinda likeing it!
Ciao!

meowee
01-17-2008, 09:45 AM
Hi everybody . . . :wave:

Well it has finally stopped snowing again and my power supply has finally stabalized again. Hope it stays that way.

Have a great day, gang . . . hope to see you all later . . . :carrot:

hommer
01-17-2008, 08:46 PM
Hello everyone, I think I posted quite awhile back but now I need this site. I have gained more wt and feeling very low and I need to start to do something about it. I started the south beach diet today and my weight is 227 and I am 5'3" so look forward to everyones conversations and encouraging words. I am from Northern Ontario and hate the winter so I become like a hermit in the winter just hate to get out.

back at it
01-17-2008, 09:16 PM
Ugh, I feel the same way, I hate the cold!
Just gotta keep moving and we'll reach our goals!
Welcome back and good luck!

Day 10 done!

Justwant2Bhealthy
01-18-2008, 05:13 PM
:wave: HELLO CHICKIES ~ Nice to see you back HOMMER: a fellow Northern Ontarian. I live quite far up, way way above North Bay, closer to the Hudson Bay actually ~ LOL! I think coming here keeps reminding us of our goal to get fitter and healthier; I know it does for me. Finally realized that we have to work at this for the rest of our lives, but I feel much better for it.

We usually go into town on Fridays, but we had a bit of a storm this morning, then some sun came in for a while this afternoon to brighten the day. Only went outside to push a bit of snow off our back deck for our furry babies; spent the remainder indoors.

LINDA ~ glad you got your power back; that must be hard in the winter. Our snow is now flowing up and over our garden fence and green house; we have a lot more snow this year than usual. Well, I guess I'd better go get dinner started; take good care ... :hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

meowee
01-19-2008, 10:25 AM
Hi gang . . . :grouphug:

Just doing my every other day check-in . . . :s: . . . not that I want it that way but seems we have nasty weather every other day and seems that said nasty weather keeps knocking out the electricity. Today is the "lull between" day -- it's beautiful -- sunny and relatively mild (just around freezing) and the wind is calm . . . so . . . my power is stable again. You know, I can handle the winter and the cold so long as I have power. Hope I can count all this shivering in the cold house time as a form of exercise. :lol:

Well, guess I'd better get things moving and shaking and get some stuff done around here while I've got the chance. Hope everybody has a great day of doing good stuff and hopefully I'll see you again tomorrow. :yes:

Justwant2Bhealthy
01-19-2008, 10:59 PM
:wave: HELLO FELLOW CANUCKS ~ mighty cold out there tonight -30C's; at least we had all that beautiful sunshine today, which made it seem much warmer than it was. Just hibernated indoors while Dh played with his tools and the car ~ lol! Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

LINDA ~ I've heard that you can burn extra energy when it's colder! LOL!

Bye for now, :hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

meowee
01-20-2008, 10:47 AM
Oh boy, oh boy . . . life can really be pleasantly surprising sometimes . . . or maybe this is just another case of small things amusing small minds. :lol: Whatever -- it has been snowing steadily all morning, but it has been relatively gentle about it and consequently the power supply is happy. Yippee.

Later everybody . . . :wave:

Justwant2Bhealthy
01-20-2008, 09:28 PM
:wave: HELLO CHICKIES ~ we had a very chilly, but fabulously sunny day! The sun makes it seem like it is warmer somehow, even if it is an illusion. Had a good 'on-plan' day with roasted chicken and lots of veggies. Didn't do much though; this is our day for complete R & R. Hope you all have a great week!

:hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

meowee
01-21-2008, 10:01 AM

After yesterday's snow, it is lovely to see the sun again today. :sunny: Ontario did manage to ship us the cold as well, though -- temperature is currently -31. :yikes: At least that means it won't be snowing for the day.

Hope you all have a great day . . . :carrot:

2beautiful2Bfat
01-21-2008, 11:05 AM
Hi Everyone
I'm in Toronto and just discovered this thread! I am not really doing a specific programme but I am basically trying low carb low cal but my own thing.

Hommer it sounds liek we are in the same boat. I was here 2 years ago but I'm now back and much more serious!!

greeneggsandtam
01-21-2008, 12:37 PM
Good Morning All! I haven't posted here in so long! I hope everyone is all right!
And for the true Canadian post - Start off with weather report:
Cold.
Okay on to other things. Still trying to stay active somewhat, I went completely off any sort of plan in December and opted for the Red Wine and cookies plan.
I wouldn't recommend it.
Last week DH was up north for the week and instead of ordering in all the time, I actually had a good week, went to the gym, played soccer, and drank water all week!
But last night we ordered pizza. I've never been more grateful for the Italians!
heehee. Back at it today though.
Well off to another week!! Everyone stay warm!!
Tam

Justwant2Bhealthy
01-21-2008, 10:52 PM
:wave: HELLO CHICKIES ~ yah, it's a favorite Canadian pastime; discussing our weather. Our TIM HORTONS' regulars always start off with the weather! LOL! We had another gorgeous sunny day, but the temps were shocking -40's with the windchill factor, but it has warmed up tonight. That lovely full moon has been crowded in by clouds, which only means one thing: more snow is on the way!

Well's that's more than enuff on that; but all I did today was my regular indoor housework, meals, and my daily crossword puzzles. I also do daily devotions and circle words to pass time; write songs and poems; and do some reading besides playing on the PC each day. DH played with his new(er) car all day; keeps him busy and out of trouble and that's always good.

:welcome3: BACK, TAM AND 2BEAUTIFUL!

I did have a few treats in December too; hope not too much damage done there. I'm hoping to maintain, at least. Had a nice steak dinner with lots of veggies and brown rice tonight; so stayed ON PLAN well today. Well, it's time for my tea; have a good night.

meowee
01-22-2008, 10:41 AM
Hi gang . . . :sunny: in NS again and at least 10 degrees warmer. They are calling for snow again later this afternoon and evening with another 10 cm by morning. :shrug:

Anyway . . . it is nice to see sun two days in a row -- so much so that I was dancing around to music on the TV this morning. So, that's the exercise out of the way . . . now if I can just hold things together in the eating department it will be a good day. :yes:

Hope everybody else has a great one, too . . . :wave:

Justwant2Bhealthy
01-22-2008, 11:15 PM
:wave: HELLO CHICKIES ~ had a good OP day; went outside today to soak up some rays doing SKI-WALKING, and enjoyed it once out there. Had to bundle up well becuz it's nippy out there; must have tired me out becuz I dozed off after doin' my puzzles and didn't wake up 'til 10:15 pm; ha! Hope everyone else had a great day too ...

meowee
01-23-2008, 10:22 AM

The sun is shining a little more sporadically today but the good news is that the new snow we accumulated overnight is supposed to be it for now and the decent semi-sunny and semi-mild (around the freezing mark, or a little below) conditions are supposed to continue all the way through the weekend. Hope those predictions prove to be correct.

Have a great moving and shaking day, gang . . . :carrot:

meowee
01-24-2008, 09:06 AM
Good Morning . . . :wave:

Unfortunately there's been a slight change to the longterm weather forecast. Still supposeed to be mainly sunny through the weekend, but the temps are on the way back down to those nasty -30 levels we had at the beginning of the week. :brr:

Keep things moving and shaking gang -- it will help us all stay warm -- got to love this Canadian weather (since we are stuck with it, after all. :shrug:

meowee
01-25-2008, 05:40 PM
Hi . . . :wave:

Another sunny but very cold day in northern Nova Scotia -- supposed to get even colder tomorrow. :brr:

back at it
01-25-2008, 08:37 PM
Howdy! The weather here was pretty nice today! Food was OP but I'm lazy to exercise....I need a kick in the butt!

Ok, Ok, I'll do it!! HAHA!

meowee
01-26-2008, 08:38 AM
SSDD . . . :sunny: and :brr:

Justwant2Bhealthy
01-26-2008, 09:30 PM
:wave: HELLO COOL CANUCKS ~ we've had a busy week; but the weather was fantastic. Not quite as cold as before but nippy with the winds. Got a bit of snow late this aft and right now too; probably becuz of the mild temps.

We've had glorious SUNSHINE most of the week so I got a lot of SKI-WALKING in this week; at least 4 days of about 30+ minutes each day (probably the most I have done yet).

Kept ON PLAN well this week too; I threw out almost all the leftover stuff from Christmas, except some of the nuts which we are putting in the bird feeders and the chipmunks just love them too. Dh finished up the rest; good thing he doesn't have a weight problem.

ANYWAYS, gonna just take it easy tomorrow and rest; have a great weekend everyone. Roasting a small turkey tomorrow; lots of work but yummy! Take care, :hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

2beautiful2Bfat
01-26-2008, 11:03 PM
Well it is freezing over here and it snowed all day today!
I had a crazy week. All the kids were sick was at sick kids 2x and going back again tomorrow!! I managed to stay OP except today. I had 2 pieces of cake!! Not looking forward to weigh in tomorrow!! My official weigh in day is fraidy and last week I lost 4 lbs but I am hoping to get to 199 by valentines so I have to get my butt in gear. I think I need to focus on the exercise!

meowee
01-27-2008, 05:47 PM

Another sunny and cold one . . . temp is now on the way up and tomorrow is scheduled to be one horrendous mess of snow, freezing rain, rain as the temperature goes from -5 in the morning to +5 in the afternoon. :yikes:

Hopefully, I see you tomorrow. :yes:

meowee
01-28-2008, 10:47 AM
OMG . . . I hate it when they get the weather forecast right . . . only seems to happen if the prediction is for bad stuff.

See you later . . . :wave:

ChantyKitty
01-28-2008, 08:05 PM
Hey group,

wow its been since July 2007 since I've posted on here.There are a few new things with me...I got my license in August 2007 and I bought a band new car.I have more independance and i am loving it!I have lost a couple of pounds,around 20lbs so far.Its a daily challenge to watch what I eat.I joined the NuBodys Gym.

So far so good,

Chantal

meowee
01-29-2008, 11:15 AM
Way to go Chantal . . . :yay: . . . on all counts, chickie.

Well . . . both the weather and my accompanying migraine are a little better today -- but not great -- but, hopefully tomorrow will be even better.

back at it
01-29-2008, 03:51 PM
To cold to do anything but curl up under a blanket here today, the wind is amazingly strong and theres blowing snow. Can't wait for construction season(summer)

Just checking in!;)

ChantyKitty
01-29-2008, 06:45 PM
Hello all,

I'm having a difficult time.I know I have lost 20 lbs,but I am sometimes stuck on the same weight for awhile.Its difficult to explain,so I'll try my best.Ummm...ok here goes...I go to the gym 3 times a week,and then the other week I go once,and then the next week I go not at all.One week I eat great,the second I binge eat,then I get back on track.I know I have made alot of progess.But I feel I'm still not where I want to be.I'm looking for someting,I dont know what i is.Maybe if I track my progress in a journal I could see exactly where I am going.I'm thinking of going back to Weight Watchers and get weighed each week.I am a lifetime memeber.But I have gained all of my weight back plus more.When I joined WW in 1998,I weighed,186 lbs.I lost it all and went down to 130lbs.Then I began binge eating again and I now weigh 265lbs(I think).So how do you guys keep going?
I have to stop being too hard on myself.

Chantal

back at it
01-29-2008, 09:48 PM
It's so hard. I myself was down around 130ish and caught myself before I di to much damage. I have a tendance to binge, and heavy, all we can do it get back up on that horse and start all over.
Figured out that feeling sorry for myself didn't work either,just made things worse and binged again.
The support I get from all the wonderful people is the reason I'm doing ok, and the reason I keep coming back here.

Justwant2Bhealthy
01-29-2008, 11:40 PM
:wave: HELLO EVERYONE ~ had a good day, but was a little tired; had long nap and didn't wake until 7 pm. The weather is weird; rain then snow, then melting, and rain and cold. I hate this becuz everything turns to ice and don't wanna go out in that; so just stayed in today.

Hope the colder weather returns for our Winterlude Carnival which starts this Friday night. Didn't do much today at all; just housework and stuff.

CHANTAL ~ hang in there kiddo; been there, done that! You are on your way again; you know how to lose weight already. The key is to remember to make a concerted effort to keep eating healthy when you reach your goal and to find ways between now and then to resolve those issues.

My three biggest triggers are 1) boredom 2) emotions 3) people and circumstances. Now that I'm aware of them, I try to find other ways to deal with stuff. I try to keep as busy as I can to avoid the munchies/binging. I even made up a list of things to do in a notebook; it's so long that I can always find something to do.

Making a journel is a good idea and coming here for support and inspiration helps me a lot too. I agree with BACKATIT, just have to keep on going; forget the mistakes, and move on ... that is so key to success in the long run.

Take care all ... :hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

meowee
01-30-2008, 11:36 AM

Still icy out there . . . tomorrow we are supposed to get sun and that might help. All day yesterday (and today) the temps are mild enough to melt things but then it freezes up again overnight. Had to go out first thing this morning and was I ever glad I had my Yak-Trax.

Justwant2Bhealthy
01-30-2008, 10:54 PM
:wave: We went from cold and wet to a fierce snowstorm that lasted all day. Had total WHITE-OUT; schools and roads closed in the entire area. So, we could only stay in today; DH is getting bored though. Supposed to be sun here tomorrow too; hope they are right ...

Hope you all have a great week. :hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

Justwant2Bhealthy
02-01-2008, 12:02 AM
:wave: Had a beautiful, sunny day but it was frosty cold; so just stayed in and didn't do much other than the necessities ~ lol! Hope everyone is feeling OK today; take good care all! :hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

meowee
02-01-2008, 10:24 AM
Beautiful day in NS yesterday -- cold, but :sunny: -- and another pretty good one is forecast for today. :yay: BUT . . . after that supposed to rain and get milder. Actually I hope it rains tomorrow and keeps our demented groundhog -- Shubenacadie Sam -- from seeing his shadow. Hope the rest of you get a good rodent report, too . . . :lol:

meowee
02-02-2008, 08:10 AM
Our groundhog would be insane to even stick his head out of his burrow this morning -- he'd likely get stuck to the ground immediately.

We are in the middle of a nasty ice storm and the lights are giving us those periodic little flickers. :yikes: Hopefully it will switch over to plain rain before too long, but right now I can hardly even see outside because of all the ice clinging to the screens.

Hope to see you later.

ChantyKitty
02-03-2008, 08:58 PM
Hello all,

Thanks for the guidance and support guys.

Back at it:You are right.I am going to stop feeling sorry for myself.I have to remember that tomorrow is another day and one bad day doesn't ruin the rest of my week.

Justwant2behealthy:What a great idea!A notebook with activities.Instead of walking in circles trying to figure out how to stop thinking about food,I'll go and pick out something to do from my list.

Today was a great day,
I went to the gym with my great friend Nicole.I can now walk 3.0 mph on a treadmill (I think its mph lol).Before i could barely do 2.1mph.Afterwards we went to Dairy Queen.I ordered a medium Blizzard and I only ate half of it.It was good.It was Peppermint Chip...MMmmm...Before I would have ordered a double cheeseburger,a large fry,a large drink and a large blizard with extra toppings.I have made amazing progress!YAY GO ME!!!

Chantal

Justwant2Bhealthy
02-03-2008, 11:25 PM
We had lovely sunshine most of the weekend; so I guess that means any groundhogs around here saw their shadow: whatever that means??? I don't really know; I'm not sure we have any groundhogs here. We do have martins, minks, chipmunks, and beavers though (don't know if that counts).

Had a wee spinkle of dusty snow this aft. Went SKI-WALKING yesterday and took some more pics with my Christmas gift (a digital camera; my newest hobby).

Today, we just stayed in and had a group nap this aft. Had a nice thick turkey-veggie stew for dinner; good and healthy.

CHANTAL ~ am glad things are going better for you this week; good for you going to the gym (and for having self-discipline at the dairy queen). We don't have those here, thankfully (yeah~no temptation~lol).

Hope you all have a great week! :hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

meowee
02-04-2008, 05:56 AM
Yesterday was extraordinarily busy for me and my calorie intake wasn't good either -- seems I can handle one meal out on any given day, but never two. :lol:

Hopefully today will be a lot calmer and I'll actually be able to get my laudnry finished.

Have a great one, gang.

Justwant2Bhealthy
02-04-2008, 11:07 PM
:wave: HELLO COOL CANUCKS ~ we had a busy day today too; went shopping and walked my feet off (now they are throbbing). That means an early night. Today is our monthly treat day; one day a month, we allow ourselves to have one of our favorite treats. I like it becuz it has helped me stop binging, as I know that I will get to have something again soon.

I try to keep it reasonable so as not to ruin a whole week or month. I see some people here who have an ounce of chocolate each day and put it within their daily allowance too. These are some great tricks to fool the mind and body. Hope you are having a great day ...

meowee
02-05-2008, 02:29 PM

meowee
02-06-2008, 04:31 PM
:wave: :shrug:

Justwant2Bhealthy
02-06-2008, 10:37 PM
:wave: BACK AT YA! LOL!

YAH, it is gittin' pretty sparce around here; I didn't post last night becuz I was really tired and went to bed earlier than usual. We had a lovely sunny day; albeit, it was very cold with a cool wind to boot. More of the same expected for tomorrow, but colder (-30C's) with more sunshine; that's OK with me as long as there is some sunshine.

Just did a whole lot of housework today; and darning socks tonight. Hope some more of our COOL CANUCKS drop by sometimes soon. I did notice that there are dozens of Canadians on this site; maybe some of them don't know about this thread???

ANYHOW ~ hope you all have a good week and a good night too; and take good care :hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

Healthy Mama
02-07-2008, 12:03 AM
Hello from Victoria, BC!
I'm a newbie to 3FC and have been posting on 100+ but just found your thread - so hello!
I've been calorie counting with determination and some success since Jan. 1 (how cliche!). Joined a gym, hired a trainer, stopped going to Timmy's on my way into the office (although we DO have Tim Bit Monday's at my office - luckily I go in late and they are usually all devoured). So far I have dropped 15 lbs (hoping for 17 by my weigh in tomorrow) - so that's leaves me with 85 to go! I'm taking it in 10lb bites though. The entire amount seems very overwhelming. My motivation is that I want to get pregnant this year sometime (I'm 37) and I will not do it again while I am overweight - and I REALLY want another baby :) So yes, I hope to lose weight so that I can gain some back right away! :dizzy:
See you on-line!
Robyne

meowee
02-07-2008, 09:46 AM
Hi there CRAZIES . . . glad to see some of you can still find us . . . big :welcome: for you, ROBYNE and I :love: the way you spell your name. :yes:

Another cold and snowy day in Nova Scotia. :mad: But the sun is trying to peak out a little bit and that always improves my mood. Think I'm going to look into one of those SAD-related lamps.

See you all later, gang . . . tyr to keep things moving and shaking . . . :carrot:

Justwant2Bhealthy
02-10-2008, 09:57 PM
:welcome3: HELLO ROBYNE ~ nice to have another addition to the COOL CRAZY CANUCK CLUB. You live on that beautiful island of Vancouver; boy, that would be better than the big storm we have outside right now. Oh well, we are nice and toasty warm in our place, so I can't really complain.

Seems everyone is taking the weekend off; glad I came in to keep this thread moving ~ lol! We had a relaxing day; Dh went to our SNOWFEST to a smash-up car derby, but it was very cold. And now, we are just having a quiet Sunday evening at home.

Take good care all ... :hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

Justwant2Bhealthy
02-11-2008, 10:50 PM
:wave: HI EVERYONE; Hope you all have a great week!

meowee
02-12-2008, 04:51 PM
Hi there . . . :wave:

Had some nasty computer problems over the weekend, but things seem to be back together now. We've had nasty weather again, too and another major storm is forecast for tomorrow -- OMG -- will this Winter never end??????

meowee
02-13-2008, 10:35 AM
So far, so good . . . it's definitely dull out there today but it hasn't actually started to "do" anything yet. :wave:

souvenirdarling
02-13-2008, 10:56 AM
Good luck with the snow, everyone! I think Toronto and Montreal - and everywhere in between - will be under a nice white blanket! No one's at work!

Justwant2Bhealthy
02-13-2008, 09:32 PM
:wave: HELLO ~ apparently, it's snowing all over the place; we got a call from DH's brother down south early this morning and it was snowing there. We started out with sunshine but then a mini-squall with some snow showed up for part of the aft (I took a nap), then it stopped and some sun came out again just before sunset. It's amazing how brave our fine-feathered friends are: fighting those northern winds to get a wee bit of food to carry them thru the night.

ANYHOW ~ we've got a doozy of a flu right now; just taking it easy to try and get rid of it as fast as possible.

Take good care ~ :hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

meowee
02-14-2008, 03:01 PM

Happy Valentine's Day . . . :yes:

Woke up to 8 degrees this morning . . . looked outside to see that the mild and rain overnight had washed away almost all the snow again. By this afternoon, the temp has fallen to -2 and the puddles are freezing over. Such fun weather. :no:

Take care of yourself and I hope you feel better soon.

Justwant2Bhealthy
02-14-2008, 09:36 PM
:val1: :val3: HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY EVERYBODY! :val1: :val3:

Lovely sunshine today; makes you feel better when you are 'under the weather' ~ lol (pun intended). Have a nice day ...

meowee
02-15-2008, 04:21 PM
No sunshine here -- maybe tomorrow. Today, good old Ma Nature is trying hard to replace some of the snow that melted yesterday -- but her success level is pretty low so far. :lol:

meowee
02-16-2008, 08:07 AM
:yay: The sun is shining :yay:

Wowee is my life ever boring -- all it takes to get me really excited is a little :sunny:

Justwant2Bhealthy
02-16-2008, 11:45 PM
:wave: I am really sick with a terrible flu (it's DAY 5); but I just wanted to come in and say HI! Take good care, there are some bad ones going around this year. Today we had sunshine, then snow tonight; pretty big flakes too ...

meowee
02-17-2008, 08:15 AM
Aww ROSEBUD . . . hope you feel better really soon. :hug:

Well . . . I'm feeling pretty good again this morning . . . another cold (-16) but gorgeously :sunny: day here in northern Nova Scotia . . . so everything seems fairly right with the world. :lol:

Have a good day . . . :wave:

Justwant2Bhealthy
02-17-2008, 09:18 PM
:wave: HI THERE ~ THANX, had a much better day today; I can even smell my food again and taste it too. We had milder temps today and of course, that means more snow; the fluffy stuff today and kinda like pellets tonight, but it looks pretty out there. Oh, I don't mind it at all, really!

Take good care :hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

meowee
02-18-2008, 03:08 PM
Hi gang . . .

It's windy, warm, and very wet around here today. Hope those of you who are getting the new Holiday are enjoying it. Not a holiday here . . . but for those of us who are retired . . . who can really notice. :lol: Our Provincial government decided to take the stance that "everyday is Family Day in Nova Scotia" -- really popular decision, as you can imagine. :mad:

Just got back from taking Blizzard to the Vet -- he has an ear infection and has been scratching the inside and outside of the ear raw -- all the bleeding is really eye-catching on a white cat. Now he is wearing one of those delightful collars to try to keep him from scratching so the ear gets a chance to heal. He's not a happy camper and he keeps walking into stuff with the edge of the collar. Poor baby.

Nothing else too exciting around here. Hope everybody is having a great day. :wave:

Justwant2Bhealthy
02-19-2008, 01:25 AM
:wave: HELLO ... YUP, it's snowing again; kinda a blizzard really! Just staying inside; that's the best way to get over a nasty flu. Our furry baby isn't well right now either. She's old and has a tumor; she's a brave soldier and still acts like nothing is bothering her, but she has slowed down just a bit. Night time, she seems to rejuvenate and has been walking around alot today.

Have a great week everyone ... :hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

2beautiful2Bfat
02-19-2008, 07:04 AM
Okay somehow I lost this thread again I must subscribe!! I haven't been here in 3 weeks!!
I didn't make my v-day goal :( On friday I was 2 lbs short of it and then sunday got TOM and the scale is heading north :eek:!!! Anythingt o do about that? Does this happen to anyone else?

Chantal: Maybe try fitday for tracking also joining challenges on 3FC is really helpful

Healthy Mama: I am also losing to get pregnant!!

Is anyone in Toronto? I would love a walking partner or even just to get together for a coffee etc.

meowee
02-19-2008, 05:54 PM

We've had a really odd day -- it was actually fairly mild but :sunny: -- but now the temp has been dropping like the proverbial rock for the past couple of hours.

Hope you all have a great evening.

Justwant2Bhealthy
02-19-2008, 08:38 PM
2BEAUTIFUL ~ I found a way to get to this thread easier; after I finish a post in my other regular forums, I just scoot to the top of the page and click on the 'SUPPORT GROUPS' sub-category, and it brings me to this forum, then I select this thread 'CRAZY CANUCKS' ... hope that helps you some.

RE: your note about TO: I have been to Toronto many, many times as I was born and raised in Southern Ontario, but now I live in Northern Ontario, and haven't been down that way in some time. I have many relatives down there, but we haven't been able to make a trip for awhile becuz of my health issues. The last time we went down (for a funeral), we were shocked how much things have changed down there; towns have become cities ~ lol!

TODAY started out sunny, and I love that in winter; we even had an unusual phenom: a rainbow in winter for the second time in two weeks. I caught it on my digital camera too. Our temps are fairly cold today too and we have a nice, bright moon out there tonight; how very pretty ...

Take care :hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

meowee
02-20-2008, 07:07 AM

Very cold and windy so far this morning -- but the sun is :sunny: -- hope it lasts. :yes: No rainbows around here. Wow, that must have been a treat to see at this time of year.

Have a good day, gang . . . :carrot:

2beautiful2Bfat
02-20-2008, 07:09 AM
Justwant2: I just subscribved to the thread sonow I get a daily email telling me there are posts. It's way easier that way.

TO has changed alot I was away for a few years and came back to a different city!

meowee
02-20-2008, 07:15 AM
I was born and raised in Toronto (amazing, when you consider that nativeTorontonians are few and far between, almost everybody who lives there is from someplace else) -- back in those days when the Neaderthals were still wandering the streets -- :lol:

But, I've been down east for about 15 years now and for the ten immediately before that, I was in Kitchener-Waterloo. Been an incredible lot of changes to TO since I lived there and it was big enough and bad enough then. :yes:

Justwant2Bhealthy
02-21-2008, 12:09 AM
:wave: We had sunshine all day today; and did you see that beautiful red eclipse of the Moon tonight? How amazing! And the stars are really close tonight as well. It's very cold here though, so we just went out on the deck for a few minutes for a close look; the window view is much warmer ~ lol!

Had a quiet, but good day! Take care all :hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

2beautiful2Bfat
02-21-2008, 05:55 AM
meowee- we live in North York so it is pretty calm up here but I hate the driving!!

i also used to live in K-W!

Anyways I was feeling really down about TOM and I weighed myself this morning and the TOM weight is gone and took an extra pound with it!! And I still have an hour until my official weigh in time!! Soemtimes I can lose a pound in that hour.

meowee
02-21-2008, 09:21 AM

Another sunny but very cold day. Hey the cold helps to keep us moving and shaking, right?

Hope you all have a great day.

Justwant2Bhealthy
02-22-2008, 12:26 AM
:wave: Had another lovely sunny day with some whispy clouds to mix things up; looked like ?someone? was paintin' again! It was a bit milder today, but DH said 'It is cold enough!' Hah ...

2BEAUTIFUL ~ never lived in K-W, but had friends and relatives that lived there. I lived in Guelph, not too far away. I don't like to weigh myself anywhere near my TOM; I always gain 3-5 lbs at that time in water-weight.

MEOW ~ I don't mind winter too much, esp with all this sunshine! I bought a new Parka this month; it's only fitting to have a Parka when you live in the far north ~ lol!

Had a quiet, but very busy day! Take care :hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

meowee
02-22-2008, 08:44 AM
It's sunny and cold again . . . :love: it. . . . Supposed to change for tomorrow, though.

meowee
02-23-2008, 11:29 AM

The weather has changed . . . it has given us about 8 to 10 cm of snow so far today.

2beautiful2Bfat
02-23-2008, 07:18 PM
I think I have to stop weighing myself too!! But I can't help it!! I'm addicted to the scale!

Justwant2Bhealthy
02-23-2008, 08:52 PM
:wave: We had such a warm, sunny day today that the snow was melting; it felt more like spring than winter. It was so lovely, that we just had to go out for a drive this afternoon!

2BEAUTIFUL ~ some people just have to weight themselves all the time; I do much better if I don't!

Just having a quiet evening at home, dancing and playing games. Hope you all have a great weekend too ...

2beautiful2Bfat
02-23-2008, 11:29 PM
We also had good weather today. I took DD for a long walk so I got some exercise in!

meowee
02-24-2008, 07:42 AM
Whoopee . . . we've got the sunshine today . . . thanks a bunch Ontario . . . :grouphug:

2beautiful2Bfat
02-24-2008, 06:14 PM
Is anyoen here from PEI?
Kind of random but it is the only province I have never been to. (Haven't been to any of the territories either) and I really am hoping to plan a trip there this summer with the kids so I thought I woudl get some in put.

Justwant2Bhealthy
02-24-2008, 11:43 PM
:wave: We woke up to glorious sunshine too; but the clouds had rolled in by dinnertime. They are calling for more snow for the next two days, but we'll see, as we don't always get what they forcast. Had a lovely Sunday; homemade cream of vegetable soup with baked bread: great for a winter day.

2BEAUTIFUL ~ I always thought it might be nice to do that 'VIA ACROSS CANADA' railway excursion. Maybe someday, if my health gets better and the price is right ...

Take good care all; :hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

2beautiful2Bfat
02-25-2008, 10:14 AM
they are calling for 10 cm!! I hate snow!!

We looked into via but it is so expensive so I think we are going to drive which will be nice for DH cause he's american so he has never seen any of the oter provinces.

meowee
02-25-2008, 03:41 PM

Healthy Mama
02-25-2008, 04:13 PM
Hello everyone - hope you all enjoyed Family Day/Louis Riel Day/Etc.. Us BC'ers had to struggle through yet another long, dark Feb. with no holiday :(
The good news is that I'm down another 2lbs and have even started running on the treadmill at the gym (2 minute intervals mind you). Also, us Southern Islanders have been enjoying the most gorgeous long stretch of sunny, warm weather! I've been in the garden weeding and planning for the season to start. My snowdrops and crocus' are blooming and it looks an awful lot like spring out there! (yes, I am gloating - but y'all had a HOLIDAY!) Can't wait to show off some skin this year ;)

Justwant2Bhealthy
02-25-2008, 08:59 PM
HEALTHYMAMA ~ I have relatives who live in BC somewhere (aunt/uncle; cousins). Many times we have fancied about living there where the temps are so much milder; but I do know that you have a lot more rain & humidity than we do (the trade off would be worth it though). My grandparents used to live there too; after my dear, sweet grandmother passed away, my grandfather came back home to Northern Ontario.

2BEAUTIFUL ~ I understand the desire to drive and see the country at your own pace; we've always done it that way too in the past. It is much more economical too, esp for a family.

I didn't realize it was a holiday today; I think the Louis Riel day was in Manitoba. Where was the family day held??? Not sure of that one. We had a busy day today; it started out with a few light fluffy snowflakes and turned out to be gorgeously sunny and warm, so I did get to go out and do some SKI-WALKING today (for about 30 minutes or so).

Have a great week :hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

meowee
02-26-2008, 11:41 AM
Just a quick :wave: Still feeling yucky.

Nova Scotia didn't have a holiday either but I thought that Ontario had Family Day?

2beautiful2Bfat
02-26-2008, 12:33 PM
We had family day in ontario last monday.

Healthy Mama
02-26-2008, 04:50 PM
Sorry, I was actually referring to the week earlier. I did mean on the 18th. Alberta had Family Day on the 18, I know because our head office is in Edmonton and they were closed (how unfair;)).

Justwantobehealthy: BC does have a lot of rain, but only on the "wetcoast". That's why they call it a rainforest! I love it, but I was born and raised here so I have gills. We lived in Alberta for a spell in the 90's. Way too dry and flat for this girl (not to mention cold). Funny thing - a good friend of mine from Saskatchewan came to stay and I took her to the most beautiful places I could think of (rain forests, cliffs looking out to the ocean) and she seemed sort of unimpressed. I asked her what she thought and she said "well, it would be a nice view if it wasn't for all the trees". :D So there you go!

Justwant2Bhealthy
02-27-2008, 04:24 PM
:wave: We have been blessed with lots of sunshine, but the temps dropped really fast; it's a bit dull out there right now, but can't complain really. I am feeling a lot better; spent yesterday doing our income tax return, bills, and more housework (that never seems to end). ;)

I like the idea of a family holiday in February; we missed it this year, but I hope that spreads across the country too. Canadians work way too hard as it is; that's nice to have one holiday each month, esp in the winter!

LINDA ~ hope you are feeling better soon; glad you are having better weather out there.

HEALTHY MAMA ~ I have heard that BC has lots of trees; so do we, esp between the towns and cities, but I love them!!! My grandparents lived in the Okanagan Valley and said it was lovely. I do know that you have a lot of beautiful coastal areas out there too; and that Vancouver Island is a real gem, but shhhhhhh ... they don't want everyone to know that! ;)

2BEAUTIFUL ~ thanx, we will make note of that; it must be new, becuz it isn't on our calendar here yet. DH mentioned something about a new holiday; but, he just didn't know when it was.

Have a great week everyone:hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

meowee
02-27-2008, 04:31 PM

Still not feeling too great and the weather today has been downright weird -- started with snow and freezing rain and then passed through ordinary rain and sunshine and now at 5:30 pm the temperature is sitting at 11 degrees. :shrug: More snow predicted for tonight.

2beautiful2Bfat
02-28-2008, 08:44 AM
rosebud aren't you in ontario? The holiday is new this was the first year.

I'm feeling bloated today and no idea why.

How is everyone doing on their weight loss?

I just hit 199 yesterday which was huge for me!! I'm down 7lbs for feburary and hoping to lose 1 more by tomorrow!! Could be wishful thinking though!!

meowee
02-28-2008, 08:49 AM
CONGRATULATIONS . . . :yay:

Justwant2Bhealthy
02-29-2008, 11:30 PM
:wave: we have had two busy days; the temps have warmed up so we went out for a longer walk (ski-walking). I went a bit further, but paid a bit today. Spent yesterday afternoon playing with my digital camera and my the pics I took over February: my newest hobby. Today was our shopping and errand day here; we had lovely weather for it too.

2BEAUTIFUL ~ :congrat: on the weightloss; that's quite a lot. We do live in Ontario, but we don't watch TV much; mostly listen to the radio or catch what news I choose to select on the internet about once a week, so we missed that bit, but that's OK; we are not that affected personally.

MEOW ~ hope you are feeling better soon ...

Had a tiring day; off to bed folks, so take good care :hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

meowee
03-01-2008, 01:25 AM
Well . . . here I am at 2:30 am . . . can't sleep, so thought I'd say a quick HELLO to everybody.

meowee
03-01-2008, 07:18 PM
Just finished watching the W-Five documentary about the screw-ups with a certain Gyn at Toronto's Scarborough General. If you are in the Toronto area you should try to catch this program if they rerun it.

Here's a link to the online version . . . http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20080229/WFIVE_RIGHTTOKNOW_080301/20080229?hub=WFive

Scarey, scarey stuff. Really hit home for me because I had my tubes done at Scarborough General -- well over 30 years ago and by a different surgeon -- but the report still made shivers run down my spine.

The bottom line is that it is time we, the patients, got more information about the track records of our surgeons and the surgical departments at our hospitals so we can make more informed decisions about surgery.

Watch the program, gang.

Justwant2Bhealthy
03-01-2008, 09:12 PM
:wave: HELLO EVERYONE ~ we had another gorgeous day today, so I had fun playing with my digital camera again, trying to get bird pics. It takes hours of patience, just to get a couple of good pics, but I love it, just the same ~ lol!

MEOW ~ caught your link in the general chatter thread; as I stated there, I definitely think surgeons with bad track records like that should be pulled off their rosters sooner: to me, one mistake is too many!!! Some hospitals have an open policy, where all staff and patients can report any mistakes: both great and small.

HOPE you all have a great weekend! :hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

Healthy Mama
03-02-2008, 12:16 AM
Hi everyone
2 Beautiful: Congratulations on hitting the 100's. I can't wait. It seems like forever since I was there. I remember how depressed I was when the scale read 195. I thought - Dear God, I'm almost 200 lbs! Now I can't wait to be "just" 200 lbs!
Meowee: I didn't catch that show but will have a look - scary as it sounds.
Justwant2b: Hope you enjoyed taking bird shots. I enjoyed watching them today too. My 2 huge overweight (family trait) cats laid out in the yard watching them too - far to chubby to actually do any damage, but meowing about it just the same. I weeded the flower beds while my 2 year old picked me crocus and snowdrops. Spring is coming people!!!

meowee
03-02-2008, 10:30 AM

That stupid nasty LION is still roaring around here in northern Nova Scotia. No bird watching or flower bed weeding going on around here. :mad:

tleef
03-03-2008, 10:37 AM
Good Morning Fellow CountryWomen! LOL

I just found this thread so thought I'd drop in and say hello!

I'm in Calgary and love the idea of being able to swap...especially food finds...with everyone here.

I see all these great products mentioned and then realize that they're only available down south. I do have the benefit that my mom and sister live in Kansas City so a lot of the stuff (providing it's not refrigerated) they can ship to me. I get a lot of my SlimFast products sent up to me from them as the US products have less sugar, etc. and wayyyy more choices. I also sometimes order stuff online and have it shipped to them to send to me. But again, it's not an easy thing to do all the time so I like the idea of getting ideas from other Canadians.

Hope to get to know everyone soon, and have a terrific day!

Cheers,
Tamara

meowee
03-03-2008, 11:00 AM
Hi TAMARA . . . :welcome: to the group. :hug:

My eldest son and his family are in Alberta -- Cold Lake area. How's your weather these days?

We actually have :sunny: today. So I must get myself out to play and run some errands before our next storm comes along. :lol:

Have a great day everybody . . . :wave:

2beautiful2Bfat
03-03-2008, 11:29 AM
Well I've been MIA for a few days. I was very sick and spent the weekend in hospital. Feeling much better now! I really missed 3FC!!

Justwant2: do you work? I'm surprised you didnt't here about family day. We don't have a tv at all. But DH had the day off and all the stores around us were closed and had signs posted the wek b4 plus I heard it on 1010.

Healthy mama : I knwo what you mean abotu just wanting to get to 200 lbs when before that seemed big. I was just so happy to be 199.

:welcome: Tamara!!

Tomato
03-03-2008, 01:31 PM
Hello Canadian Chickies!

I did not know this forum existed until I saw it mentioned in Introductions (I am still finding it hard to find the places where I had posted ..... there are so many different forums at 3FC!

I am in s-w Ontario and I joined a month ago. I bought a treadmill and I am very determined to walk (and later jog) my extra lard away.

Does anybody shop at Zehrs (that's a local name for Loblaws)? They have these wonderful cinnamon raisin bagels (whole wheat) - they are from the PResident's Choice Blue Menu program - I find them terrific. They are much smaller than their regular cin. raisin bagels (those that they make in store) and each is only 160 calories. They are less sweet than the regular variety yet still sweet so when I have a craving for something sweet, I often have one of those bagels (with a bit of margarine). It safisfies my cravings and at the same time it is like a small meal. $2.49 for a bag of 6 bagels.

Just wanted to share.

:D

Edited to add that I believe Canadian SuperStore, No Frills and similar stores would probably have them too.

meowee
03-03-2008, 08:35 PM
Hi TOMATO . . . We've got Atlantic Super Store which is also part of the Loblaws chain. So much of their blue menu stuff is really good, although I haven't tried the bagels. I avoid most starches because I'm diabetic and try to get most of my carb allotment from fruit and veggies rather than grains of any kind. I do, however, have a serving of President's Choice Fibre First cereal most mornings with some skim milk and some fruit.

Oh, BTW, you can subscribe to threads and that will make them easier to find. At the top of the thread you will see a little box called "thread tools". Click on that and then click on "Subscribe". Then you can go to USER CP (at the left end of that long navigation bar at the top of the forum page) when you sign in and the first thing you will find is a listing of your subscribed threads that have been active since you last looked at them. Then you can just click on the one you want and you'll be taken to the first unread post -- very handy.

Oh wow, 2BEAUTIFUL, you certainly did not have a fun weekend . . . so glad to hear that you are feeling okay again . . . :hug:

Well, gang . . . it's just about bedtime for me . . . see you tomorrow. :wave:

Tomato
03-03-2008, 09:59 PM
Thanks, meowee, for the tip re subscribing to forums. That will make my life easier. :)
I buy the PC Fibre First cereal myself and also PC Bran Flakes. I actually mix three different kinds - mostly it is the above two plus a little bit of the Triple Berry cereal (I think from General Mills), but only a little - I like the fruit but not so much the sugar content.

meowee
03-04-2008, 03:51 PM

tleef
03-04-2008, 04:47 PM
Hi meowee & 2beautiful: Thanks for the warm welcome! Also Hello to Tomato! I'm a newbie to this thread as well, but not to 3FC. I've been coming here for about 10 months...best support in the world IMHO!

I have the Real Canadian Superstore here in Calgary (part of the Loblaw's chain) and although I haven't tried the PC Blue Line yet, I think I just may since you all seem to enjoy it. I like the idea of getting bagels that aren't so calorie/fat dense.

Meowee: You said you had family in Cold Lake. Are they in the Military? I don't think I know anyone from Cold Lake that isn't. LOL I work for a defense contractor in Calgary and lots of the guys here were at one time or another in Cold Lake. One of my coworker's daughter and her fiance live there and are getting married in August there. The coworker is ex-military as well.

Our weather here is funny. Like last week we were +14 on Tuesday and then woke up Wednesday to 2cm of snow! LOL Gotta love the prairies! Today is kind of chilly (about -2) and we're getting a bit of fluries...but it's getting sunny and we're supposed to be up to +10 again by Thursday or Friday. Bizarro weather in Calgary...they say if you don't like it wait 5 minutes.

Tomato: My favorite cereals are Multi-Grain Cheerios w/ fresh cut strawberries and skim milk and also All Bran Guardian when I want something really sweet. Both are tasty and fit well into my program. I know a fellow at work that mixes three cereals every day. He used to be overweight and he's french so he ate fairly rich foods (according to him) and then he had a heart attack last March (he's only in his 40's) and that was it. He started eating better, doing the treadmill at work every day and has lost like 70lbs. He looks great except just like a typical guy all of his clothes are practically hanging off of him now.

I told my mom that and she laughed because so many women we both know have clothing in like size 10 & 12 & 14 and sometimes even 16 or 18's as well. That way we can gain or lose and still have clothes that fit. Silly as it seems it's working for me since I don't have to buy ALL new clothes because I'm fitting into some that I haven't worn in years.

Anyhow have a great day everyone!
Tamara

Justwant2Bhealthy
03-04-2008, 11:55 PM
:welcome3: to all our newbies ~ TLEEF and TOMATO !!! I have been tres busy lately; went to town today to pick up an order and do some errands. We had a gorgeous sunny day; it was a bit colder, but still very nice.

TLEEF ~ we get a lot of the BLUE MENU products here too; and I'm trying as many as I can. We are somewhat limited being in a small town, but we get enuff of everything to make do. I alternate my BF: one day eggs & toast; one day cereal with skim milk; and one day a bagel with peanut butter. Our weather is rather unique to our area as well; we say 'if you wanna know what the weather will be like ~ just look outside!!! LOL!;)

2BEAUTIFUL ~ I came on the net, so that I can keep in touch with my family and the world. It's been a fun learning experience; and I discovered this wonderful place by accident. We live way, way up north, up by the JAMES BAY AREA (the bay dangling down from the Hudson Bay), in the country, outside of a very small town. We love the quiet, peaceful, serenity here.

TOMATO ~ I like the smaller whole wheat cinnamon bagels too; they make a nice quick breakfast. My sugars are OK, so I can eat whole grains daily. I also mix my cereals: whole wheat shreddies and blue menu bran flakes.

HEALTHY MAMA ~ We're still buried in snow up here; no gardening for us yet either. Know exactly how you feel about those numbers. It's odd to hear someone say that they want to throw in the towel when they already weigh a lot less than me ... LOL!

MEOW ~ glad Mr. Sunshine finally came your way again! :D Gotta take advantage of the good ones ...

Have a great week, ladies ... :hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

2beautiful2Bfat
03-05-2008, 09:34 AM
Tleef: the blue line also has vegetables in cans that are lower in sodium. I always buy these.

Justwant: Wow!! No wonder you didn't know about it!

We just got 10 cm of snow!! I can't take this anymore!!

meowee
03-05-2008, 11:09 AM
Oh Good Grief . . . Another inch of fresh snow on the ground . . . somehow, I don't think this will be disappearing too soon, because it is about to get covered in a lot of other nasty stuff -- are there any two more dreaded words in the Canadian Winter Vocabulary than ICE STORM. Oh well, probably a good thing that this will be a stay at home day for me. Found out yesterday that I'll be spending a fair bit of time at the dentist this month . . . have to have a root canal done . . . right now I'm taking a round of penicillin to knock down the infection so that can do the RC, and (as often happens with antibiotics) my tummy is 'complaining' :o

Right you are TLEEF . . . although my son got out after he returned from his tour in 'you know where', my DIL is still in the forces. They have moved to Bonnyville actually, since DS got into civilian police work (he was an MP - a Master Sergeant, BTW).

On the continuing saga of the Blue Menu products -- one of my all time favourites is the cauliflower-topped Shepherds Pie. I recommmend it to everyone; even those who think they hate veggies can't tell the difference. :lol:

Anyway . . . have a great day, gang . . . hope your weather turns out to be better than my weather. ;)

Justwant2Bhealthy
03-06-2008, 04:59 PM
:wave: Sorry to hear so many of you are having nasty weather. We had a sprinkling of snow overnight (maybe an inch); but we have had lovely sun and mild temps today. Have just been busy doing housework: laundry and organizing some cupboards and the pantry to see what we have. We washed our livingroom rug yesterday with a great cleaning machine we got on sale; so glad we bought it, as it is soooo easy! It paid for itself in two cleanings ...

Hope you all have a great day! :hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

meowee
03-06-2008, 08:11 PM

We ended up with another totally weird weather event yesterday -- first of all, that bit of snow; then a bunch of freezing rain; then overnight it poured ordinary rain and it warmed up to about 5 or 6. This morning :shrug: -- no remaining stuff on the ground and beautiful sunshine, but the temp dropped down to 2. Can hardly wait to see what happens tomorrow -- it's becoming a constant surprise. :lol:

meowee
03-07-2008, 08:46 AM

2beautiful2Bfat
03-07-2008, 11:13 AM
We are expecting a bad storm tonight! I just went to the store to stock up on soem healthy stuff cause who knows!!

RealCdn
03-07-2008, 05:56 PM
Well, it's definitely the Canadian thread as the topic is snow!

I thought I would jump in and say hello. I'm in Southwestern Ontario, just watching the snow flakes come down. I hear the forecast is for 30-40cm over the next 24 hours. I'm kind of glad the shopping is done and won't really have to go out until maybe Monday.

So... hello, my name is Anne. I'll try and give the short version introduction.

I'm one of those always overweight people, from childhood on. I'm not saying that I never dieted, but maybe a better explanation is 'never successfully' dieted. Once I went over the 330 max on the scale I just kind of ignored it. After seeing someone else use the floor scale at our plant a few years back (early 2004) I waited until nobody was around and did the same. Well, I really was shocked - it said 412 pounds. And there was no pretending it wasn't right, I'd just paid someone to calibrate it. With steel-toed shoes and fully dressed I decided it was about 5 pounds high (although not until much later).

So, in Feb. 2004 I started my first real diet. Originally it was not calorie restricted. I used to joke that it was 'no meat, no fat, no sugar'. What's left - vegetables, legumes, soy, and... well, that's about it. I did that until just after the end of the year, including a very expensive cruise in December of that year, where I was almost 100 pounds lighter than where I started.

I hadn't started any real exercise plan, but when I got down to the 100 pounds lost point I decided I should. With a little help from a friend I started using the gym from work. He kept telling me I had to eat a better diet than I was, and I listened a little (but not enough). I started using the treadmill, working hard (eventually to about 3.5mph with 10% grade - for an hour 5 days a week). I had a job where I could be on my feet all day if I chose to, so I did. I don't remember exactly what I was eating, but I know it was under 1500 calories a day. I did drop another 25-30 pounds over 5 months, but I did so at the expense of my health.

I ended up in the hospital in early June (2005) with a pleural infection around one lung. Let's put it this way - I spent 17 days in hospital. Maybe it means more in Ontario, but you just don't stay that long unless you're very ill. I even went home with a drainage tube since I was better, but the fluid was still infected. I'd run myself into the ground and my body just couldn't fight it off. The crazy thing was - I felt great the Friday before I went into the hospital. While recovering I was told to listen to my body when I wasn't feeling well. The whole point was that I felt fantastic on Friday, not so great on Sat/Sun... actually not until I went into the hospital did I really feel horribly sick. Okay, I had warning signs about a month and a half before I went in (but that's another story).

So much for short....

Well, I gained the 25-30 pounds back while recovering. I held the 300 pounds (roughly) until perhaps the summer of 2006. I think I was paranoid about working out, and just didn't know what to do. I had switched jobs in the fall, to a place where nobody knew the hard working gal who had lost 100 pounds. And, I wasn't happy in the job, which didn't help either. Over the last 6 months of 2006 I slowly went up to about 330. Again, that dangerous time, when you don't get a weight on the home scale.

I had the opportunity to travel from Jan-May in 2007 - around the world on a freighter (another long story). Quick answer - I quit my job and went. I couldn't diet when I was away, but when I got home I was 321 - without trying. Now I was home, looking for work. The quick answer on that is those that wanted me to work for them, I didn't want. Those I wanted to work for, didn't want me. This was new for me. Most times I've wanted to find work I haven't had a real problem.

Are you surprised that I started gaining weight? So, back in Dec. 2007 I was in Costco one day and went looking for a scale. I had decided that things had to change. I bought a scale that went up to 400 lbs and stripped down and stepped on it the morning of Dec. 7th.

358.2 lbs

It was a good decision, since I just recently broke the 330 mark, and I'm not sure I could have maintained a good plan without knowing where I was. My first real goal is 321 pounds (where I was in early June of last year). The next will be under 300, and the next meaningful goal will be 275 - a weight I don't think I've been in decades (well, except when dehydrated in the hospital).

The difference is, I'm no longer dieting. I've found a plan of eating that I believe I can do for the rest of my life. With few exceptions, I don't eat diet foods. I still keep an eye on calorie counts, and I make meals lighter than I did in the past. I currently aim for 2000 - 2100 calories a day, with some slight changes next week when I'm starting a lifting program (at home for the moment, I'm low on cash).

Luckily I bought a treadmill back when I could afford it, and I use it 6 days a week. I admit, I'm a treadmill junky. I'm more careful now, doing a slower pace, although I use the incline to raise my heart rate. When I lose more weight I'll likely work on the speed. I have to watch those knees. Yes, I'm over 40 and still working on the weight.

I'm still unemployed, but again by choice. I'm making another change - going back to school in September (Mechanical Engineering Technology). The companies that weren't interested kept pointing to my lack of technical background as a problem. I know this won't solve my problems, but at the end of the course I'll have more options. My area was quality (automotive), but I'd rather spend more time on the process side. This education, which includes work terms, will help me compete on that side as well.

Of course, I'll be mid-40s, single, educated, with a larger equity loan on the house... and hopefully done with the weight loss and on to maintaining.

I think I'll stop now... that was much longer than I was going to make it. Perhaps I should have just waved hello! Anyway, I need to go shovel out the back patio so I can light the barbecue.

Yes... I am Canadian. :snowglo:

I'm using the snow globe today because it just seems appropriate. I'm looking forward to getting to know you all. I will spend some time reading the rest of the thread (at least the more recent posts).

meowee
03-07-2008, 07:07 PM
Hi ANNE . . . :welcome:

Justwant2Bhealthy
03-07-2008, 10:42 PM
:welcome3: ANNE ~ your story is interesting and fun to read (the pics too); and we can empathize with you how the weight can go up and down over time. I never really said much about my journey and how I got here; guess I should share a bit at least.

I was normal weight as a child; but then I had a couple of horrible corrective surgeries as I was born with spina bifida. They were very traumatic for me, and thank GOD they don't do them like that anymore! Anyhow, after we moved to the country, I gained a few pounds, but when I started working in a store and had money, I gained weight in my early teens.

Was PUT ON a diet at 15 y/o to lose 25 lbs, but was not taught how to maintain it, so I promptly gained it all back with interest. Later, a nurse suggested a high protein plan which I went on after I moved out on my own just after my seventeenth birthday. Was working hard and slimmed to 117 lbs. Went back to school and gained some back (12 lbs); so I joined a gym and climbed to 139 lbs but finished school; and then at college the same, gained even more (up to 150's, 160's +; not really sure ???).

Went back to work and started losing again; steadied at 137 lbs for a few years. When I was laid off my job, I slowly gained weight again. I lost and gained, over and over, esp when I was recovering from one of my many injuries. Those injuries left me in pain and unable to walk very well (broken limbs and a dislocated knee, which kept popping and collapsing).

Finally, I got jaded after dozens of attempts to lose weight and keep it off; and as I got older, it got harder and harder; and I got bigger and bigger. I felt duped by the doctors, dieticians, and nutritionists, and other experts??? I spent mega dollars on books and plans; and I have a room of exercise equipment that I can't even use right now.

SUMMARY ~ in the winter of 2005-06, I fell ill and ended up in the hospital too: was very, very sick. I realized that I just had to get some of this weight off; I must admit that it was a kind of epiphany for me; and a spiritual awakening or renewal at the same time. I realized that I didn't want to waste one more minute; NO, not one more second, not enjoying my life to the fullest. I have made many, many changes in my life in every way.

I lost about 25 lbs from my illness, so that gave me a start. My goal was to do as much research as I could and find a healthier way to live for the rest of my life. My health has slowly gotten better over the last two+ years and I have lost a lot of weight, inches, and sizes. The doctor's scale says that I weigh 10 lbs less than my digital at home; but I'm ignoring that, and just continuing on ...

Seven paragraphs: well, that's enuff for now. We had good weather today and I got some gorgeous pics of a 'FULL WINTER RAINBOW' right out our kitchen door this morning, at dawn. Click on these two links to see the pics I took ~

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=28596&d=1204932689

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=28595&d=1204931890

Have a great weekend everyone! :hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

RealCdn
03-07-2008, 10:53 PM
Thank you both for the welcome. It is kind of nice that there's a place for the Canadian Chicks to hang out.

Rosebud - I always like hearing people's stories. We're all so different, even though we have the same struggle. Thanks for sharing. :)

bopeep
03-08-2008, 01:22 AM
I just noticed this Canadian area. I guess I need to look around a bit more...

Hi all - a bit of an intro:

I'm from Nova Scotia originally, and I moved to Montreal in 1990 with DH so he could go to grad school. Been here ever since. I'm almost 40, still married to my teenage sweetheart, no kids (by choice), two cats and a noisy parrot. And more than a few plants... I'm a plantaholic/aka gardener.

I started sort of trying to lose weight and get some exercise this past fall, with free weights and I lost a few pounds. This past January DH was diagnosed with high blood pressure (he could stand to lose about 15-20 pounds, but he certainly wasn't in *desperate* need of it - BMI of 26.1). That scared the crap out of him (and me), and he agreed to follow the doc's advice to get some real exercise. We bought an elliptical, and he's been using it every day and his BP has come down quite a bit. So, with his health scare, and with the new elliptical, I decided I wanted to prevent some other scare for me and I got serious about exercise. So far, so good :D

BP

RealCdn
03-08-2008, 11:54 AM
Hello Bopeep,

Having exercise equipment in the home is wonderful. I know that I can use weather, and being too tired, etc. to avoid going out to do things. When it's sitting about 5 feet away from the desk it seems to be easier to get on it and do it. I sometimes wish I'd bought an elliptical instead of a treadmill, but I think it's more that I wish I'd had room for both! It's too bad that it took a health scare, but it sounds like you're on the right track.

tleef
03-08-2008, 01:08 PM
Good Morning Canadian Beauties!

Well my story is not nearly as interesting as the others...but I'll give it anyhow.

I've pretty much been overweight my whole like. Not REALLY overweight, but overweight none the less.

I met my first real BF in 1991 and we moved in together almost immediately. I was 17, he was 18 and my mother moved to the US so I had no choice but to try and make life work. In 1992 I decided I would try and lose some weight, I was about 175 and at 5'4" that put me well over a healthy body weight. I found an MD that prescribed me Ionamin and in less than 3 months I had lost 40lbs, but I was weak, pale and my hair started to fall out. I quit the pills and almost immediately got pregnant with my daughter. She was born 4 months after my 19th birthday. After my pregnancy I sat around the 160-170 range for a long time.

In 1997 my BF and I broke up and I finished post secondary school. I got a good job that payed well and slowly over the next three years climed to almost 200lbs. I started Slim Fast and working out at Spa Lady in 2000 and lost about 25lbs. I felt great and for reasons that are unclear now I stopped the diet. Again over the next 6 years I gained again (really poor eating...sometimes McD's 5 times a week and no exercise to speak of) up to 227. In late May 2007 I again started SF and working out at Curves and dropped down to 202.5 by July. I went to my sister's wedding in Kansas City, MO in July 07 and never really went back on plan after that. From August 07 to January 08 I gained back 7.5lbs to 209.5. On January 14/08 I started back on the SF full out and have since dropped down to 196.

I'm getting married on June 1/08 to my daughter's father. We reunited in March 2006 after 9 years of just being friends and spending lots of time together (platonic) with our daughter. It's been like a fairy tale being back together and he proposed on September 15/07. Everyone always told us that we were meant to be together, I guess we just had to find that our for ourselves. I won't be at goal for our wedding, but we have a wedding to attend in December in the Dominican and so we're going to make that our honeymoon as well and I'd like to be at goal or very close by then!

bopeep: I have a bit of a zoo as well, a black lab, a house rabbit and THREE noisy parrots. I'm actually the president of the parrot club in town and although I love it, I'll be very glad when my two year position comes to an end in May of this year.

With planning the wedding, working two jobs, a 15 year old daughter and running a household I feel overwhelmed a lot of the time. But I have found that having complete control over my food intake I feel empowered. I work out 3x a week at Curves and we walk the dog for 1 - 1-1/2 hrs a day and I'm really trying to work my schedule to allow for me to go to Aquasize once a week minimum.

RealCdn: I wish I had more equipment at home. I only have a stationary bike and while it is good for cardio...it hurts my bum! LOL I would love to get some free weights at home and a treadmill...but cash is at a premium right now with the wedding only 12 weeks away (gosh that's scary). Maybe I can use some of the wedding cash we'll likely get to buy a treadmill. My SO is really great about supporting this whole process even though he says I'm perfect at any weight...Awww...sweet, but a little bit of a drag. Maybe it would be easier if he said things like "hey, you could stand to lose a few lbs."...but probably not! LOL

Anyhow I have to start emailing florists for more quotes so I can book my flowers. Hope you all have an outstanding day! Thanks to everyone for the info on the PC Blue Line...I'll check it out very soon.

Cheers,
Tamara

meowee
03-08-2008, 01:19 PM

I would love a "smith" machine -- but somehow, don't think I'm going to get one. :lol:

Have a good day, gang.

bopeep
03-08-2008, 02:01 PM
RealCdn - I'm such a weather wuss - it was my biggest excuse to get out of exercising in the past, when I had a gym or pool membership. I hate cold and I hate snow. getting something to use at home was the answer for us. I'm absolutely in love with my elliptical. I've never used one before, so I didn't know what to expect. I let DH pick the sort of machine we got because he was the one that really *needed* it and he had to pick one that he'd use. He liked the look of the elliptical motion and knew he'd hate running on a treadmill so that's what we wound up getting. We're not exactly rolling in either cash or space so I never really seriously considered buying one before, but with a health scare, we reprioritized what to spend our cash on :)

tleef - Three parrots???!!! Gads - I'm still half deaf from my one bird's noise fit this morning. I made French toast, and he was climbing all over me screaming at me to hurry up and give him his piece - he loooves French toast! What kinds are they? We have a 20 year old Petz conure. We used to have an orange fronted conure as well, but she died. And congrats on the upcoming marriage! :congrat:

Meowee - what's a 'smith ' machine? Sorry to ask, but my brain isn't working today... :?: I need to get another cup of tea and try to get it kick started.

BP

Justwant2Bhealthy
03-08-2008, 03:16 PM
TLEEF ~ :congrat: to you on your up-coming marriage!!!! That sounds like such a wonderful 'LOVE STORY' ... We have two small furry babies that are like little kiddies and such good friends. You can get some good second-hand machines through the paper or a good second-hand shop; just try them out first before you buy or take them home.

BOPEEP ~ I don't know what a 'SMITH' machine is either; never heard of it ~ lol! Most of the time I walk; do my WALK OFF THE POUNDS dvd; SKI-WALK (walking/hiking with ski poles which I love a lot); chair exercises; free weights; swimming at our secret place; and dancing.

REALCDN ~ I kinda wish I had an elliptical too; it's the one machine I don't have, and so many people on here swear by them. Hmmm ... maybe I should try one sometime at our new public gym center. I have a very large treadmill (which I fell on cuz I couldn't keep up), a recumbent bike, a rowing machine (which I like the best), and a large stationary bike with moving handles (my bum knee won't co-operate on this quite yet). I had a couple of other machines which we gave away as they weren't practical for me; one regular stationary bike had a very small seat and hurt my butt too!!!

It's very lovely here today with lots of sunshine, but it's very windy and cold; so we are just staying home and cocooning ~ lol! :hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

meowee
03-08-2008, 04:58 PM
Here's one type of "smith" machine . . . there are many, from many manufactures . . . Body-Solid Powerline Smith Machine System $1,199.00 (at the bottom of the page) is one I like.

http://www.home-gym-direct.com/b/smith-machine/body-solid

bopeep
03-08-2008, 06:37 PM
Here's one type of "smith" machine . . . there are many, from many manufactures . . . Body-Solid Powerline Smith Machine System $1,199.00 (at the bottom of the page) is one I like.

http://www.home-gym-direct.com/b/smith-machine/body-solid

Ohhh, I get it now. Does it come with the guy? :drool: :whoo:

BP

2beautiful2Bfat
03-08-2008, 07:35 PM
Hi everyone
How are you all enjoying the snow? Well the ontarians anyways!! I have not left the house all weekedn!!

Thanks everyoen for sharing your stories they were so interesting and motivating!!

Anne your stroy was so interesteing and inspiring!!
your original diet in 2004 sounds liek the fat smash. How did you find that? I just started fat smash 2 days ago.

Bopeep I love your ticker!!

Tleef- you shoudl write a book that is such a romantic story!!

tleef
03-09-2008, 12:05 PM
Good moring everyone!

Did everyone remember to jump their clocks forward last night? I'm at work today so I had no choice. The weather is so beautiful...sometimes I hate working weekends :( I can't wait until after the wedding, I think I may quit my second job. By then I'll be fully integrated at my new full-time job (start Mar 24) and won't need the money, but for now it's allowing me to have extra money for deposits etc.

bopeep: We have a 6 year old Timneh African Grey (rescue), a 3 year old Cockatiel (rescue) and a 6 year old Lovebird (have had from a chick). I also board parrots when their humans go away so I almost always have at least one or two more species at home as well. Right now we have a Congo African Grey staying with us which is interesting since they never close his cage at home so he's got free reign all the time. It's too dangerous at our place because of the other birds and our black lab so the poor guy has to be caged when we're not there. He's very sweet though and only 2, so still very much a baby. We have another Cockatiel and a Blue Front Amazon coming in a couple of weeks. My Lovebird is my baby (although I dont' tell the grey that ;) ), and I've trained him to do all kinds of tricks. He can play basketball, put rings on a peg, do a puzzle, wave, dance, play dead and is fully trained in flight recall. I leave two of my birds flighted (Lovie & Grey), but they pretty much know better than to fly to me when I don't ask since that results with time in the cage...LOL The Cockatiel is the exception since he's a really sketchy little guy. His previous owner died of a drug overdose (just a young kid - 17) and his mom didn't know what to do with the bird so she shoved his cage (which was WAY too small) in the basement on the concrete floor and didn't pay him any attention. My SO was helping move a freezer out of her basement with a friend of hers and heard the little bird. He called right away and asked if we could have another bird (when I got my first bird he proclaimed that he wa "NOT A BIRD PERSON!") LOL. Anyhow we brought him home and the hard water build up in his water dish was like 1/8" thick from just getting water added and not having it cleaned and he was standing on a calcium perch that he had eaten away so much he was standing on the screw and had a sore on his foot. So we put him in a flight cage (30"x36"x20"), got his wings and nails clipped (he had one nail that was about 1-1/2" long - ON A COCKATIEL!) and gave him multiple baths which he acted like he'd died and gone to heaven. We changed him over to Harrison pellets and introduced fresh organic veggies and birdie bread. Within a few months his bloodwork was normal and he's a happy little bird now (albeit easily spooked still) and is without a doubt our loudest member! I know...I'm a typical bird person...just going on and on...LOL

Justwant2Bhealthy: I watch craigslist and kijiji for used machines...but right now I have to put out so much money on wedding stuff (we're trying to do this without using credit or going into debt at all) that I think it will have to wait until after the wedding.

2beautiful2Bfat: You're not the first one to tell me I should write a book. To me it's a great story but there were lots of ups and downs. Lots of complications and animosity at times that we just swept under the rug for our daughter's sake. Just about every time either of us got into a new relationship we'd end up having problems with the new person because they just didn't like that we were so close. And there were times when we wanted to kill each other. But we always seemed to make it work for our girl and in the end I think it made us both better people. It's amazing to me that girls I know that ended up having babies young and never got any support from the dads (financial or otherwise) while DD's dad was always on the scene (he used to take her every weekend) and always paid more support then he was asked to as well as splitting all other costs (Brownies, Soccer, School Clothes/Fees, etc). I was really fortunate and I guess in all those 9 years it didn't occur to me that it was because we were still very much in love! LOL

meowee: That looks like a really good machine. We're talking about buying new furniture for the upstairs living room (right now it's just bird cages...LOL) and moving the birds into the kitchen and making our rec room into a workout room. So we'll definately be looking for some good machines and free weights.

I hope everyone has a great day and take advantage of the weather if it's nice.

Cheers,
Tamara

RealCdn
03-09-2008, 12:49 PM
Well, the snow has stopped (hooray), and it really kind of looks nice outside. I suppose it's the kind of weather we loved as children. Nah, I don't think I ever liked the snow.

Tamara - thanks for sharing your story. It's almost better that you were apart for a while. Kind of makes you feel like it was meant to be. There used to be a recumbent bike at the office gym (well, still is, I just don't work there anymore). I never liked it. I think it just wasn't built well for someone my size. I always think the best thing is to take advantage of a local gym's intro offers that they all have. You can try out all of the equipment while deciding if you like working in a gym. If you like the gym, you can stay. If not, you might have an idea of the kind of equipment you would like to purchase. I suspect eventually I'll join a gym, but maybe in the fall when I can use a student ID for a discount!

Meowee - I've been using weights a little, but I always consider it playing. Although I have seen an increase in strength - I actually managed some full push-ups. I just bought the New Rules of Lifting for Women, and will start into their routine tomorrow. I don't have a barbell, and the dumbbells I have max out at 16 pounds each. I saw an inexpensive set of York weights at Canadian Tire that I'll probably buy this week. I suspect at the start I'll have no problems with some of their exercises, but tons of problems with others. I'm very much looking forward to it though.

bopeep - you know it's funny, but I've complained about the cost of dieting before. Not much, but sometimes about the cost of good food. However, I remember at my worst I was probably spending at least $25-30 a week on junk (either drive-thru or loading up on stuff at the grocery store). In the end I suppose I decided that I'm worth it. Sounds like you and your husband have decided the same, which is great.

Rosebud - I think what originally kept me away from the elliptical is that you aren't forced to keep a certain pace (like a treadmill). I found that when I was tired I would just slow down. And the nasty machine that they office gym had would flash that I needed to speed up! They are supposedly much better on the joints though. I tend to raise the incline on the treadmill, instead of the speed. Either one will raise my heart level, and I'm just not ready for jogging yet.

2beautiful2Bfat - For me at the start, it worked well. At over 400 pounds I just didn't have a clue what my daily intake should be, so I needed to find something that I could eat what I wanted. It worked well, but I wouldn't recommend it for a long term plan. In my case I wasn't eating any meat at all. I got to the point where I really, really, craved meat. However, I could fill myself and not worry about calories. I don't even think I bothered tracking them. But I really did not use added fat or anything. When making recipes I 'browned' in veg stock and everything. It was too extreme for me to stay on forever. It did work well though.

Well gals, I should probably consider doing a little shoveling, at least out to the barbecue. :) Hope everyone is having a good day.

2beautiful2Bfat
03-10-2008, 06:47 AM
I totally forgot about the clocks and then was annoyed yesterday but at night time I realized it was bed tiem and I had probably eaten less for the day because I lost an hour!!

This place is full of snow. My pour DH has never seen this much snow!! He's from the south!!

Realcdn: I just started fat smash and phase 1 has no meat in it but it is a 9 day detox and then you go to a more normal eating plan. It sounds like exactly what you did. Fruits and veggies and now added fats. You don't count calories you just eat until satiated. I'm enjoying the detox but I am looking forward to a nice piece of salmon when it is over!!

Tleef: it is such a great story and you are really fortunate to have a dad who was in his child's life. We here so many stories of "deadbeat" dads!!

meowee
03-10-2008, 08:59 AM

OMG . . . I so hate time changes . . . all I wanted to do yesterday was sleep and I'm sure I'm not caught up. Hey, maybe by summer I'll feel normal again. Did play with my new Wii enough to give myself a sore right wrist . . . :lol: . . . but boy do I ever need to practice . . . my Wii fitness age is 76. :yikes:

We didn't fare too, too badly with the storm yesterday and today it is cold but :sunny: so I hope this is a new trend that will continue. After all. Spring will soon be official. :yes:

Have a good day, gang . . . try to keep things moving and shaking . . . :carrot:

bopeep
03-10-2008, 12:16 PM
tleef - Poor little cockatiel - I'm glad he has a good home now. One of the saddest things I see is people putting parrots into tiny cages that they are never let out from. Our cage is on the small side, but our bird only sleeps in it - he's out all day long. I've always wanted an African Grey - you're so lucky to have found one in rescue!! Our local rescues almost never get birds, and they almost never get the larger parrots (too valuable). I think if we ever move to a place with more room, I'd like to look for one, but for now, we don't have room for a large cage, especially since it can't go on the floor (cats). We adopt special needs cats and they're not able to climb or jump, and they're poorly coordinated, so they're no real danger to birds, but a cage on the ground would invite stares galore!! Poor bird would probably have a heart attack :lol:.

RealCdn - It's one of those things you don't think about until you start it, but losing weight can be expensive! We didn't need to buy an elliptical, but we did need DH to get some exercise and we did need to pick something we thought he'd stick with. Our food bill has gone down though. I never bought much junk food, our diet was pretty good and we always ate lots of fresh fruit and veggies, we just ate too much. I could polish off a basket of peaches in a day - Dummy! :frypan:. Oh well, I'm looking at it from this point of view - anything that helps us live healthier, happier, and hopefully longer lives is money well spent

2beautiful2Bfat - :lol: I had to pick a kitty ticker!

Snow.:yikes: Boy did we get snow! :censored: :tantrum: I have had enough snow and want spring dagnabit! There is more than four feet of snow in my backyard fight now. I need to get to a bin of dirt and some pots out there so that I can pot up some of by garden bulbs, and they're somewhere under a TON of snow. I knew this would be a crappy winter, but this is nuts! I'm going to think warm spring thoughts and see if I can melt all that stuff with my mind...:sunny::sunny::sunny::sunny::sunny::sunny:

BP

elisa822
03-10-2008, 08:13 PM
I hope you all don't mind me sticking my head in here but I didn't know where else I could go to vent this particular Canuk frustration!

And forgive me if this has been discussed but have any of you ever tried the new Fibre One bars? I heard so many people on these boards talking about them but had never seen them. A couple of weeks ago I found one box, clearly out of place in the store and I grabbed it. Couldn't find them with the other granola bars so who knows if I'll find it again but, more importantly, I read the ingredients and the calories etc. and was happy with the 140 calories and 5 grams of fibre. They're made by the same company that makes these new Nature Valley Fibre Source Granola Bars. Those ones were okay but these Fibre Ones?? WOW...soooo good. Almost too good.

Okay, here's the venting part - why, do the American Fibre One Bars have 9 grams of fibre?? Same name, same flavours, same size but almost double the fibre. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I think I'll have to call the company and ask them but we all need more fibre. Why rob the Canadians?

phew. I feel a bit better now. Thanks for letting me rant. If anyone knows any more about this, please share. TIA.

meowee
03-10-2008, 08:52 PM
Sorry . . . maybe I'm misunderstanding your post . . . nowhere did you mention the number of grams of fibre listed on the box of Fibre One bars that you bought. You mentioned calories (140) and fat grams (5) in that paragraph, but not fibre ??????

I looked up Fibre One bars on both the US and the Canadian General Mills sites (the manufacturer) and the only listings I find say 9 grams of fibre . . . My local WalMart has these bars and I'll take a look the next time I'm there.

elisa822
03-11-2008, 07:48 AM
meowee - Sorry, I meant that ours had 5 grams of fibre and the US version had 9 grams of fibre. That's what happens when you rant! :o And no, you can't find the Canadian information online. Let me know if you find them in Walmart...they're really yummy!!

I'll fix my other post now.

meowee
03-11-2008, 08:07 AM
Good Morning Crazies . . . :grouphug:

Another beautiful and :sunny: but very cold day shaping up here in rural Nova Scotia. No plans for going out to play yet today, but I'm sure I can think of something. :lol:

I'll definitely let you know what I discover about the Fibre One bars, Elisa.

Hope everybody gets a chance to keep things moving and shaking today . . . Have a good one, gang . . . :carrot:

Justwant2Bhealthy
03-11-2008, 11:53 PM
:wave: just a quick one; so late and so tired. We had snow from the north and it blew right through. Lots of work today. Sunny tomorrow ... yeah!

Gotta run ... :hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

meowee
03-12-2008, 06:47 PM
Wow . . . it has been one of those running all over the place kind of days . . . but I did want to say a quck HI . . . :wave:

elisa822
03-12-2008, 07:13 PM
meowee - I just wanted to come back to tell you that I called General Mills, who makes the Fibre One bars and they are well aware of the fact that the US/Canadian versions have such a large difference in fibre content. First she said that it was just a labelling thing - in that the US and Canada have different interpretations of how to calculate fibre but that the bars were the same. When I asked what ingredient causes this difference she put me on hold to check and came back to say that it wasn't just the labelling, there is some difference in ingredients due to different restrictions. I couldn't get anything definitive so next time I find them I'm going to look at the ingredients and compare to the US version. I'm still going to eat them...they're delicious!! It just seemed so strange.

Anyway, sorry for hijacking the thread!

meowee
03-12-2008, 08:48 PM
Not too worry . . . glad you got an answer . . . even if it isn't very satisfactory. I did go to WalMart today and I looked at the boxes and, of course, you are absolutely right and I was going to come and tell you that I thought maybe it was just a labelling error. Obviously, I'm wrong about that. It will be interesting to hear what the differences might be. Keep us posted, please.

Justwant2Bhealthy
03-12-2008, 11:45 PM
:wave: Well, today we did have that lovely sunshine and the temps were pretty nice too. Lots of sick ones in our home right now; so just stayed in and did house stuff. One of our furry babies is pretty sick and DH came down with the flu again, but he was considerably better today. Had such a late night last night; didn't fall asleep until 3 am. It's my legs that do that; they hurt sometimes, and so I have to get back up and take something for the pain, as I did last night.

I see that some of you have been discussing differences between US and Canadian products. My mini beef is that I hear of stuff mentioned that we can't even get here unless we order online; but most of the time I just try to find a close substitute. Living in a very small town, way up north probably makes a difference too ~ LOL!

Have a great night, CHICKIES ... :hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

meowee
03-13-2008, 09:39 AM
Oh yeah ROSEBUD; it's enough to drive you crazy if you let it. Living in rural Nova Scotia does have it's advantages, but shopping options is definitely NOT one of them. :lol:

Atlantic Canada is in the midst of another storm right now -- right around here, we are (so far) just getting a little bit of snow and a very big bit of wind -- hope things don't make a change for the worserererer. :no:

As you know, the first day of Spring is officially the 20th this year . . . last night the Halifax news came up with a new way to describe it . . . "Spring is only three storms away" . . . oh well . . . no doubt we will be complaining about the heat soon enough.

Have a fun day . . . :carrot:

Justwant2Bhealthy
03-13-2008, 11:52 PM
:wave: we had a good day today; I deliberately slept in a bit, but I had a nap this aft and that really helped my legs a lot. Had an overcast day, but the temps weren't too bad; the sun tried to shine through a few times though.

I got a lot of pics of birds today; couldn't believe how many came to visit today! DH said it had to be the same ones coming back over and over again; I said that's becuz of all the food he is putting out there ~ LOL!

Yah, the first day of spring used to always be on the 21st; they keep changing it. I wish they would leave it on the same day for all the seasons; it would be simpler. What's 1/3 of a day anyways??? ... LOL ...

MEOW ~ you guys have a lots of storms out there; our winter has been pretty mild compared to yours this year. Thanks to ^the big guy^ in the sky!

WELL, it's time to get off to bed or I'll never get to sleep; take care :hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

meowee
03-14-2008, 07:30 AM

We are having a lull between storms day . . . nice and :sunny: but very cold . . . but apparently another big storm is coming in for the weekend. :mad:

bopeep
03-14-2008, 11:45 AM
I'll be soooooooo glad when this winter is over. We've got over four feet of snow in our backyard. There's no more coming for the next few days, but it's way too early for it to be over. This past week has been he**ish trying to get around after the huge dump we got on the weekend. DH had an appointment at the hospital on Monday. In the summer this hospital is a 20 minute walk. It's not far, but it's winter - we planned on getting there by taxi since it was -10 and the streets and sidewalks were full of snow. When we called for one, all the lines were busy (means they're not taking any more calls), so we headed out to the street to flag one down. Nope. Tons of taxis on the road, but all full of passengers. So we walked over to the street that runs towards the hospital to try to catch the bus that runs along it. Nope. No bus, and huge queues. So we start walking the rest of the way and no bus or available taxi is anywhere in sight. By this time, we're starting to cut it close to the appointment time, so we walk faster, but it's -10 and I have asthma that is triggered by cold air, so I'm gasping and wheezing and having a great time.

I haven't been able to do my cardio properly all week because my lungs are still not happy after the cold air abuse I sent their way on Monday - I've been coughing my head off and pounding back the steroids trying to settle them down. Fun fun! Gripe gripe gripe.

I started my tomato seeds this week so it's 'officially spring' in my mind. Today I've got a bunch of other seeds to start and I have to start some bulbs. It's sunny and going up to +1, so I can pretend it's spring outside too :D

I can't decide weather I prefer the winters in NS or the ones in Montreal. Here it's bloody cold, and there's tons of snow. There, it was sort of cold, but damp and half the snowstorms turned to slushstorms before they were over and things got really wet. You know, actually - I hate them both! :rofl: I'm a summer lover, through and through. :sunny::sunny::sunny::sunny::sunny::sunny:

BP

Justwant2Bhealthy
03-14-2008, 02:52 PM
BOPEEP ~ sooo ... you wouldn't want to live here: we have very, very cold temps AND mountains of snow out there ~ LOL! Actually, it's fairly mild for here today, but we had a small snow storm this morning; now it has stopped so DH went to get the mail.

We were gonna go into town today, but the mini-storm changed our plans. Maybe we'll go later or tomorrow ... we'll see. There's no rush really becuz we keep a stocked pantry and freezer. Just taking it easy today; one of our little furry babies is very ill, so we are staying with her more. The other one came down with something too; the flu is everywhere. What a strange year; hope it leaves soon ...

Take care ... :hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

bopeep
03-15-2008, 01:16 AM
Rosebud - which area of Ontario do you live in? Montreal is colder than the heavily populated areas around the lakes, and we get more snow than most areas (for some reason Ottawa area gets more snow than us). Are you in the frozen hinterlands of Ontario? I don't think I could move there if I had to! Brrrr!!!! I've always felt kind of gypped when it comes to cold tolerance - I thought the more fat you had the less the cold was supposed to bother you. Not me!! :lol:

And it looks like my lungs have recovered. I felt like crap when I got on my elliptical and was planning on going slow and long, but I got lost in the music and before long I realized I was flying along at a pretty fast pace! :carrot:

meowee - here's hoping your latest snow gets blasted by the sun in short order! :goodvibes: :sunny:

BP

Justwant2Bhealthy
03-15-2008, 01:39 AM
:cry: Sadly, our little SWEETIE passed away tonight, but we are glad that she won't be suffering. It will take awhile to get used to not having such a delightful friend in our lives; we were blessed to have her with us for 15-1/2 wonderful years.

BOPEEP ~ we live way, way up north in the JAMES BAY region of Ontario; we usually get in the -30s in March; we have seen low -40's, but not for some time; the windchill factor can make a difference though. This year we also have mountains of snow; this is a record year for us too. The town has been shipping it in trucks to the countryside ~ LOL!!!

meowee
03-15-2008, 09:10 AM
ROSEBUD . . . :hug:

Good Morning to Everybody . . . :wave:

Not much on my agenda for today . . . just sitting around waiting for the snow to start. Oh Joy.

bopeep
03-15-2008, 01:34 PM
Rosebud - sorry to hear of kitty's (?I assume it was a cat, at that age?) passing. Been there, done that several times, and it's heartbreaking. :cry: :hug:

So you really are in the frozen hinterlands!!! :eek: I could not live there - if it's colder than -15 out I can't go outside (my asthma will trigger and I get a fun visit to emerge, an IV shoved in my arm, and I get to take even more steroids - yuk!). I don't know what possesses me to stay in Montreal since we spend much of the winter in the -20s, but at least we get enough days where I *can* go out and get the shopping done to keep us from starving to death. But the payoff is the summer - I looooove the heat and humidity we get here. I'm nuts :dizzy:

meowee - I'll keep all body parts crossed that this storm wimps out on you :lol:

BP

Justwant2Bhealthy
03-16-2008, 12:14 AM
... THANKS ... for your kind words ...

BOPEEP ~ SWEETIE was originally from a canine family, but we think that she was confused as a puppy and thought she was human; becuz she was one of the most clever, funny, good, and loving friends we ever had. She lived a nice long life; and we are grateful for every minute we had the delight to know her.

We had some huge flakes here last night, and milder temps. Kept busy doing early spring cleaning; it was that or sit around and cry all day. It will take some time to adjust to not having that lively doll around here; thankfully, we still have her daughter with us for now ...

meowee
03-16-2008, 08:13 AM
Hey BP . . . think it worked because we only got about an inch of snow out of yesterday's bluster.

Today we are having another beautiful and :sunny: "lull between" kind of day so I must get out to play. Actually the last couple of storms have been very gentle with us and I really, really hope that the one predicted for tomorrow will be equally kind. :yes:

ROSEBUD . . . I'm sure that Sweetie will always be with you in your hearts.

Anyway, gang . . . I'd best get my self in gear so I can get out and about . . . hope you all have a great day . . . :carrot:

Justwant2Bhealthy
03-16-2008, 08:42 PM
MEOW ~ THANKS for your encouragement; yes, she will live on in our hearts and minds forever. We had lovely sunshine today, so we went for a drive and I took some pictures of the snow mountains we have along the side of our roads. Will post some when I get them downloaded and sorted.

HAVE A GREAT WEEK ... :hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

Justwant2Bhealthy
03-17-2008, 10:59 AM
HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY EVERYONE !!!

Here's an IRISH BLESSING for ya ...

May the road rise up to greet you ...
May the wind be always at your back ...
May the rain fall softly upon your fields ...
And, May the sunshine warm upon your face ...
Until we meet again, my friends ...

:irish: :luck2you: :cupgold: :irish: :luck2you: :cupgold: :irish:

:goldpot: Have a great day :goldpot: :patrick: ROSEBUD :patrick:

meowee
03-17-2008, 11:03 AM
And the same thought is sent right back at you, ROSEBUD . . . :hug:

And a very Happy Green Day to everybody else, too . . . :wave:

meowee
03-18-2008, 08:21 AM
OMG . . . The block that SPRING is just around the next corner of, seems to be getting longer and longer in Atlantic Canada . . . :mad: . . . Guess I shouldn't complain too loudly -- we just have -25 and very, very windy in Nova Scotia. You may have heard about the Newfoundland section of Newfoundland/Labrador -- it's closed -- the plows have been taken off the roads; there's almost 40 cm of snow on the ground (from this storm -- added to the metres and metres worth they already had) and another 40 cm expected before it stops.

Hope you are having better weather where you are . . . :yes:

Justwant2Bhealthy
03-18-2008, 11:05 PM
MEOW ~ Gee, I feel sorry for you guys out there; but we got some snow tonight too, just not as much. Our temps are amazingly high: we had +7C or 44F today, so the snow was melting and that was WITHOUT any sunshine. Sooo, about 3-4 inches fell tonight so far; supposed to last til tomorrow and maybe have sunshine by Friday (we hope) ...

Did lots of letters and edited photos today; plus house chores and meals and such, but nothing major today. Just taking it easy, as my legs have been bothering me a bit; rest is the best thing for them.

Have a good night all :hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

meowee
03-19-2008, 08:40 AM

Yes, this is our :sunny: and :brr: day -- on Thursday we will be getting the storm and slightly warmer temps that are residing in Ontario today. When will it ever end. At some point we will get more than one day in a row without a storm. I hope. Anyway, jsut waiting around for the bathroom to warm up enough to have a shower and then I'll be going out to play for a little while.

Hope you all have a fun kind of day moving and shaking down the great downward road to better health and fitness . . . :carrot:

bopeep
03-19-2008, 11:30 AM
Not so great here, weather-wise. It's above freezing, but that's all the good one can say about it. On Sunday, I noticed that melting snow and ice was pooling up towards our back door, so I had to go and shovel a path through four + feet of snow so it could drain away. It took me an hour and a half to clear out a path (now I am really noticing the benefits of all my exercising - I was pooped, but the next day the muscles I expected to be sore as heck were fine - one sore spot, but that wasn't too bad). Today we have a heavy rainfall warning and it's about to open up and pour down, turning that four + feet of snow into three + feet of ice. If it melts before next winter, it'll be a miracle!!! :censored: :bomb:

I'm not looking forward to going out in the rain, but we have no choice. We have to go to the CLSC (community health clinic) today for a follow up for DH's blood pressure. It's come down so much they'll be shocked! It's almost normal now. :woohoo:

The only other thing I have to do today is pack up the cat food I have for the shelter. I buy a few cans of cat food every grocery day and save it up for the spring and donate it to the local no-kill shelter. Kitten season is about to begin and they always need tons of food. So - I have to haul out some boxes and tape and get cracking!

BP

meowee
03-19-2008, 12:23 PM
That's a great idea about the cat food BOPEEP. Around here we save our Sobey's cash register tapes for the SPCA . . . they can use them for free stuff that they need.

Justwant2Bhealthy
03-19-2008, 11:45 PM
You both have some good ideas there; we don't have a shelter or an SPCA here: folks are pretty much on their own (and we only have a traveling Vet who comes to town once a week). We had more snow falling today; at least it wasn't all day; I hope we do get that sunshine by Friday ...

BOPEEP ~ do you mind me asking how your DH got his blood pressure back down to normal? Mine is a wee bit high: so I'm looking for some tips!

Take good care ... :hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

bopeep
03-20-2008, 01:40 AM
Montreal is a big city, so there are several shelters here. We also have big feral cat problems. :( The SPCA and the city pound aren't no-kill, so I prefer to support the ones that are. I wish something like saving the register tapes was available here, but I've never seen a program. I do find it easy to pick up some extra cat food every week though - it's easily affordable for me to donate a bit at a time that way. I wonder if the shelter has ever approached the grocery store to set up a food box for them. I must ask them about it - it would let them spend some of their cash on other needed things.

Rosebud - DH has gotten his blood pressure down mostly with exercising every day on our elliptical for at least 30 minutes. On the weekends, he likes to pop in a movie and go at a slower pace for an hour or so. We always ate a fairly healthy diet (I just ate too much of it :o ), so we didn't really need to make any big dietary changes. He did like to snack on pretzels once in a while, so he's had to cut that out for the salt. When he was diagnosed in January, it was between 140 and 155 over 80 to 90. He's really not fat (his BMI was about 25), so that wasn't a contributing factor, but he was very sedentary. It took about two weeks of exercising before he saw his pressure start to drop, and it's been dropping bit by bit ever since. The highest reading he's had in the past week was 129/80 - that's still higher than it ought to be for a 40 year old guy with no obesity or other underlying problems, but it's acceptable, and he's had several readings that are in the ideal range. And it ought to come down even further over the next few months. We bought a monitor so he can check it twice a day at home - that's been a big help in figuring out what does and what does not raise his BP rate.

What have you tried to get yours down? I know not everything works for everyone and some people have other issues that raise their BP, so it's not always as simple as it was for my DH.

BP

meowee
03-20-2008, 09:29 AM
Good Morning . . .

Well, if anything says SPRING and EASTER better than a dose of freezing rain, I guess we aren't going to have it around here . . . supposed to be absolutely yucky all weekend . . . might see a bit of sun by Monday. That silly little bunny had better be wearing his raincoat and his Yaktrax. :lol:

For me, getting my BP down to good normal readings is a combination of three things -- (a) losing wieght (b) cutting salt wherever possible (c) drugs.

Hope everybody has a better weather day than we do. Try to keep things moving and shaking gang . . . see you later . . . :carrot:

Justwant2Bhealthy
03-20-2008, 10:56 PM
We were very fortunate to have sunshine all day but it was windy and cold. We went shopping today; and man was it busy in town, eps a the one grocery store (we needed a traffic cop there).

BP ~ I have just been trying things like 1) cutting out as much salt as possible 2) losing weight 3) exercise 4) relaxation and music therapy. My top number was very high, hence the need for #4. I am feeling better and it did come down quite a bit, but I still need to get it down more.

Hope you all have a nice Easter weekend nevertheless ...

:easter2: :easter2: :easter2:

meowee
03-21-2008, 09:47 AM

A little warmer this morning and there is no freezing rain in the forecast -- just a little snow (:lol:) and the revised forecast says maybe a bit of sun by Sunday -- that would be nice. :yes:

Healthy Mama
03-21-2008, 12:47 PM
Hi all! Long time no post. I've been recovering from the passing of a kidney stone which seems to be taking a while to heal :( I've been to the gym once in 2.5 weeks and feeling really bummed about it all (insert sad violin music here). On a happy note, the sun has been shining, the hyacinths, tulips, and daffodils are all blooming and spring is most certainly here on the west coast. Also I have managed to keep losing weight even though I haven't been exercising at all.
Not sure what plans you all follow but I just picked up a great magazine at the grocery store called Clean Eating. It has a 30 day meal plan that includes all the recipes with full nutrional information and shopping lists for each week. As the title suggests all the foods are "whole foods" and seasonal too which makes it easier for shopping. They also have an article called "5 dinners for 60$" that includes all recipes and shopping list. Anyway, if you are constantly challenged to find healthy low fat recipes like myself this may be a good thing to check out for under $10.
Cheers to all and a wonderful happy Easter!

meowee
03-21-2008, 04:45 PM
Although I could learn to hate you because of your weather . . . I will restrain myself . . . :lol: . . . Glad to see you back and really hope you are soon recovered from the kidney stone. Oh my the pain must have been awful. :hug:

I just picked up a copy of Clean Eating, too. . . this is only the second issue apparently. Sorry I missed the first. Although I loved the content, I'm not sure I like the format -- all the little different sized boxes on each page seem a little distracting to me. :shrug:

I have Tosca Reno's Eat Clean Diet (found it a great book) and I think I just might buy her Eat Clean Recipes which is fairly new.

Veggies are our friends . . . :carrot: :broc: :carrot:

bopeep
03-21-2008, 07:32 PM
Oh man - wave some of that weather eastwards!!! Normal highs for this time of year are supposed to be +4, but we're well below freezing for the next week, and we're dipping down to almost -20 a couple of nights.

Rosebud - it looks like you're on the right track to getting your pressure under control. You're doing all the things that really help and you're seeing results, so those are the solutions for you. It's hard to watch it come down slowly - DH thought his would be fine after a month, but I told him that it probably took awhile to creep up and it had probably been high for awhile, so it'll take a while for his body to readjust. I know it's also waaaaaaaaaaay harder to get your pressure under control if you've got a lot of stress. We don't have any kids, so that's not a contributer, but DH's job is hair pulling, to say the least! :lol:

:carrot::broc: Veggies are the best - I am a hardcore fruit and veggie addict! Even the cashier I go to at the grocery store has commented on the amount of produce I buy - and that's only about half of it - I shop at specialized fruit and veggie stores too. And in the summer, there's the Jean Talon market - a farmer's market to beat all farmer's markets (actually, it's open in the winter too, but I'm too much of a wuss to go there in the cold :lol:) :carrot: :broc:

So what do you all eat for supper? Got any tasty healthy things to share? Tonight we're having yellow zukes stuffed with portabella mushrooms, brown rice and salmon.

BP

meowee
03-22-2008, 08:49 AM
Good Morning . . . :grouphug:

Big lot of nothing exciting going on around here this weekend -- from the weather point of view; that is great (although a little sun would be nice) -- from the personal activities point of view; boring (no big family plans; my family is all so far away :().

Had a wonderful stir-fry (actually, more of a stir-simmer) with lots of onion, garlic, cabbage, other veggies and some delicious marshmallow-sized scallops for dinner last night -- really yummy.

Might wander out a little later and pick up a small leg of lamb for Sunday -- then again, maybe I'll just make do with some chicken because I know all those :bunny:-droppings will be calling my name. :o

Anyway . . . hope everybody has a great day doing lots of fun things . . . :carrot: . . . See you later. :wave:

Chris
03-22-2008, 09:09 AM
Hi There -- I've been posting on the "40-Something" forum for a few months now and just found this thread. I live in Southern Ontario near Lake Ontario and it's a great spot. My home is about 4 km away from Lakeshore Road, which as some other Ontarians may know runs right along the lake.

Right now the sun is shining brightly, the wind is blowing a bit and its -6 out --- brrr!! We've still got a few feet of lovely brown snow covering most of our lawn and I'm hoping the temp will rise a bit next week so more can melt.

I'm pretty active exercise wise. I love to inline skate and cycle. And this winter I have taken up kickboxing which is mostly responsible for my weight loss. Thank goodness.

Anyway wanted to say hi to everyone and probably will post here as well.

Chris

meowee
03-22-2008, 09:13 AM
Hi CHRIS . . . :hug: . . . So glad you found us. :welcome: to the group. I'm originally from Ontario (born and raised in Toronto) but have been living in rural Nova Scotia for the past 15 years -- talk about a change; wow. Anyway, have a great day and we'll all be looking forward to chatting with you more in the future. :wave:

bopeep
03-22-2008, 11:26 AM
Hi Chris - I only recently found this corner myself. I'm just downriver from you, in Montreal. I'm originally from NS, but we've been in Mtl in since 1990.

:coffee: I've had my tea and now I'm in operational mode :D Cold and sunny here too - yuk! I have to go out and get some millet for my bird - we're out and I didn't realize. She loves a snack of it and if she doesn't have it she gets very NOISY and cranky! :tantrum: :headache:

Man, does DH ever miss big scallops. I'm seriously allergic to them, so I can't eat them :no: :barf:, but DH loooooves them. One of his friends in undergrad school used to work summers on a dragger near Digby. He'd bring DH bags of the biggest, best scallops you've ever seen. Ones like that are not to be had at any price in this city :(

We were going to have a leg of lamb for dinner tomorrow, but I decided at the last minute to get a very nice looking Muscovy duck. I haven't decided what I'll have with it yet. I have some artichokes in the fridge that I'll probably roast with some garlic and oregano (I love to eat them, but hate preparing them - they turn my hands black for days, even with lemon juice!!). Oh - I almost forgot I bought some red swiss chard yesterday - I'll have to cook that! Yum yum!! Tonight's dinner will just be some 'cream of carrot soup' that surprisingly has no cream.

But I'm making waffles with maple butter when DH wakes up (c'mon, wake up!!!!) :hun:

I'll have to hit the elliptical for awhile today to work off that maple butter! :woops:

BP

Justwant2Bhealthy
03-22-2008, 11:36 PM
:bunny: Pretty much the same here; sunny with fierce Arctic winds coming our way; gotta watch for frostbite. Last night, it went down to -20C but that's not too bad; it's the wind that makes it much colder. Just had a fun day doing whatever I want; reading a novel, crosswords, letters, emails, and taking lotsa pics with my camera.

:wel3fc: CHRIS ~ I was born in Southern Ontario and was raised in the Guelph area; now we live way, way up north (in the James Bay region). We had steak with mushrooms & onions, tomatoes, coleslaw, and small new potatoes for dinner tonight. May have turkey legs for tomorrow as there are only two of us.

:bunny: Hope you all have a HAPPY EASTER weekend ... Take care :bunny:ROSEBUD:bunny:

:easter2: :egg: :easter2: :egg: :easter2:

meowee
03-23-2008, 08:27 AM
:bunny2: . . . HOPPY BUNNY DAY . . . :bunny2:

We have a lovely :sunny: morning on the go -- and I find that very comforting for Easter Sunday -- unfortunately it's also very windy and cold; but one out of three ain't too bad. :lol:

Hope everybody has a really great day . . . :carrot:

cierasky
03-23-2008, 02:08 PM
Hello. I am new here. I am a stay at home mom of 2 in Alberta. I have been on weight watchers flex plan for about 12 weeks. I have already lost 30 pounds! I am loving it! Would like to loose another 20.

meowee
03-23-2008, 02:52 PM
Hi there CIERASKY . . . :wel3fc: . . . You've definitely come to the right place for lots of support and encouragement as you travel along the sometimes bumpy road to better health and fitness, Chickie. This is a really big site, so have lots of fun wandering around. Whenever something catches your eye, just hop in and start posting; I know you'll receive a really warm :welcome: wherever you land. Congratulations on your terrific loss so far. :high:

Justwant2Bhealthy
03-23-2008, 11:58 PM
:wave: HOPE you all had a lovely EASTER SUNDAY!!! We went to relatives for a nice turkey dinner; the drive was beautiful, as it was a lovely sunny day, perfect for EASTER.

Have a great week; only one more in March and then it's APRIL!!! Take good care, :hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

meowee
03-24-2008, 09:07 AM

Two out of three good weather factors for today -- it's absolutely beautifully sunny and the wind is almost calm at only 5 k/hr -- now, if it would just warm up a little.

No leftovers to face around here but I did manage to overindulge yesterday in (of all things) Kashi Go Lean cereal after dinner. My story (and I'm sticking to it :lol:) is that I needed the starch to soak up the excess salt from the ham. :shrug: Sounds good if I say it quick enough and often enough.

Must go out and get a few groceries and other stuff today so hopefully I won't bump into any half-price bunnies that I can't resist.

Have a great day . . . see you all later.

Justwant2Bhealthy
03-24-2008, 10:31 PM
:wave: Well another week started and we have a bit of a querie for our fellow Canadians ... how many of you had both Friday and Monday as a holiday? There is a debate going on here as to whether they are both bonafide, statutory holidays. Now, our town didn't pick up our garbage today, which means that for the town at least, today was a holiday (so the garbage will be picked up tomorrow as per their usual policy for holidays).

MEOW ~ I was able to resist the chocolate this year; my favorite is those small peanut butter eggs, but nobody had any this year. I like to buy just one, as that's not too big a treat. OH, just as well I guess. We had lovely sunshine again today, but the clouds have come in as they are expecting a wee bit of snow over the next few days.

It will be interesting to see about the holiday thing and if it differs across the country. Take good care ... :hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

meowee
03-25-2008, 11:59 AM
Hi gang . . . Another day, another fresh start on the long and bumpy road to better health and fitness. I had a decently OP day yesterday and so far today is going well, too.

The weather is not as great as yesterday -- less sun -- temperature is about the same at -4. Tomorrow, we are supposed to be getting snow -- AGAIN. :mad:

Oh ROSEBUD . . . I'm proud of you. I love those chocolate/PB combinations too. BTW . . . I honestly think that for most of the country, only Good Friday is an official Statutory Holiday . . . and it's only government offices, schools and a few other lucky ones that get Monday as well. I know I never used to get both when I was still working . . . now, of course, that I'm retired, every day is a holiday. :lol:

Have a terrific Tuesday, everybody. Try to keep things mopving and shaking. See you all later . . . :wave:

Justwant2Bhealthy
03-25-2008, 04:20 PM
:wave: We did get that snowstorm today; but it has big, fluffy flakes and looks really pretty. We have birdies coming in droves this week, plus Sammy the Squirrel; I think they are all stocking up ~ LOL! Just did laundry and regular daiy chores today. We are having ROAST CHICKEN with turnip, celery, carrots, onions, and new potatoes; may add some cauliflower and broccoli too (haven't decided yet). Trying hard to stay on plan too.

MEOW ~ yes, we are retired too, so we don't notice a lot of these things either. In most of my working years, I worked holidays becuz I was what they call 'essential service' like in Nursing Homes and Group Homes; and somebody has to be there 365 days a year to look after these dear folks.

Some people who are self-employed may not be sure of the stat days and/or holidays either. The garbage guys and the mail didn't come Monday; so we didn't bother venturing all the way into town as we didn't want to get there and find that everything was closed. We'll just wait until later in the week.

Take good care :hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

meowee
03-25-2008, 04:28 PM
Stat Holidays vary by Province and all I know for sure is that Nova Scotia has fewer than any other Province (only 8 -- most others get 11 or 12). :lol:

Daffy29
03-25-2008, 05:13 PM
I finally found you all! Meowee had extended the invitation, but I'd browsed down to 'miscellaneous groups' a couple times and never found this thread. It finally dawned on me to do a search. DOH!

Someone, a few pages back said "for some reason Ottawa area gets more snow than us". Being in Ottawa, I can explain this phenomenon: the politicians here cause a lot of hot air. It rises, and gets cooled, and the humidity precipitates out as snow! Needless to say, that produces a LOT of snow tee-hee!

As for yesterday's debate on the Easter holidays, it's my understanding that the public sector, at least here in Ontario, get both days and the private sector gets only Friday. However, our garbage pick-up was delayed by a day, and that's contracted out to the private sector. I do believe it's a Quebec-based firm, tho', which could explain why they were off on Monday. Now that I've tied myself in knots....

...On to the typically Canadian pastime of discussing the weather. Spring has apparently been delayed by 4 to 6 weeks...it must be coming via Canada Post! (tongue firmly in cheek :-) I can't wait for the snow to start melting, as it is causing us some problems: we have so much snow this year that our dog can just walk over the 5' high fence right into the neighbour's yard to play with their dogs. Lately, he has taken to walking over the fence and out to the street, causing us a bit of consternation.

Anyway, a big 'Hello' to all the fellow Canucks :wave:

Ti'an

Nancy CA
03-25-2008, 05:31 PM
Hello fellow Canadians! It seems to be trying to warm up here. I noticed a few crocuses peeking out of the ground the other day and the birds are starting to sing in the mornings. It's coming!

meowee
03-25-2008, 06:00 PM
Hi again . . . glad you found us . . . both DAFFY and NANCY :lol: I know this can be a big and confusing place at first.

To make it easier, you can 'subscribe' to the threads you want to keep track of . . . at the top of every page in the thread there are little purple boxes at the right side of the page. The first of these is called "Thread Tools" . . . click on that and then click on the entry that says "Subscribe to Thread". Next time you come to the 3FC forums, go to the main navigation bar (the purple line under the little picture of the chickies) and click on the first entry which is "User CP" . . . the first thing you will see is a listing of any subscribed threads that have new entries since the last time you checked in.

Good luck . . . if you have any problems just give me a yell (if you can find me, that is). :p

meowee
03-26-2008, 09:05 AM
Good Morning CRAZIES . . . :wave:

Heavily overcast and still cold (-4) . . . but no snow . . . at least, not so far.

Keep things moving and shaking as much as you can today, gang . . . See you all later . . . :carrot:

bopeep
03-26-2008, 11:28 AM
Someone, a few pages back said "for some reason Ottawa area gets more snow than us". Being in Ottawa, I can explain this phenomenon: the politicians here cause a lot of hot air. It rises, and gets cooled, and the humidity precipitates out as snow! Needless to say, that produces a LOT of snow tee-hee!

You know - I think you might be on to something there - Quebec city gets a lot more snow than us (Montreal) too, and there are a LOT of political windbags there :lol:

Today, it's +5 outside!!!! That's seasonal normal for us here, but it's the first time in ages it's been that warm. I'm going out to do something - I don't know what yet, but I'm going OUT!! :dancer: :sunny:

Yesterday, I say some tulips poking up on the other side of the street. My sidewalk is on the shady side so there's still a thick layer of ice over everything, but my backyard is sunny and melting.

DH doesn't get any time off at Easter. He's self employed so any time off means no $$. I don't work, so for me, all days are workdays or days off, depending on how you look at it. ;) Stat holidays are weird around here though - DH works for a company that is in Texas, so our Canadian holidays mean nothing to them and he keeps getting asked what he's doing for 'Obscure American Holiday'. It seems that Easter is not a stat holiday in the US - well, at least it's not a stat holiday in Texas.

I don't know what the heck happened, but I ate a ton of food on Sunday, and when I weighed myself on Monday, I had lost another pound. :yay: I'd been stuck at a plateau for three weeks, so it's good to see some progress again. :carrot:

BP

Nancy CA
03-26-2008, 11:37 AM
Thanks for the tip Meowee! We're battling the flu here. All of us have fevers and nasty coughs ect. My second oldest woke with a fever of 104.7 this morning and we just realized he hasn't gone pee since around midnight last night. I'm giving him until noon to pee and then we're off to emerg I think. Poor kid can't seem to keep more than about a tablespoon of water down either. I've been sick too so it's been really hard to get all my points in. I have no appetite right now. I'm just going to do my best and if I gain a little because of it then so be it.

Bopeep, my husband used to work for an American based company as well. It was kind of neat because he would get our stat holidays off paid and then the American ones too but unpaid.

Justwant2Bhealthy
03-26-2008, 11:00 PM
:wel3fc: to the newbies ~ DAFFY & NANCY ...

NANCY ~ the flus going around this year are terrible; we just got over a doozy of one ourselves. Yes, keep a good eye on that boy; will send up some prayers for you all too ...

DAFFY ~ Excellent theory there about the reason for all this record snowfall; I'm sure that's it! LOL!

RE HOLIDAYS ~ thanks to all for your input; I'm sure by now the debatees (?) will have made up their minds as to the holidays we have. It seems that it differs most on where you live and where you work.

We had lovely sunshine all day; it was so glorious that I just had to get out there and go for a walk today. I also tooks some pics while I was there; came in when my fingies started to go numb from the cold winds ~ LOL!

Have a great night :hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

chubby in edmonton
03-27-2008, 12:38 AM
Hey,

I'm new to the site, and to dieting and could use some advice...and support. After a miscarriage and a new stressfull job I've gained almost 30 pound in 5 months.

I've been trying to find a good diet delivery service in Edmonton Alberta. So far all I can find is nutrisystem, and I haven't heard much good about it. Normally I love to cook and would do my own meals, but right now life is so crazy I just don't have the time and need something quick and easy.

This looked like a good place to start asking for help. Anyone got any ideas.

Smiles

Daffy29
03-27-2008, 08:24 AM
Good Morning one and all! :hug:

We have started to see some warmer weather in the past few days, and melting has started, but I don't think we'll be seeing tulips, crocuses (crocii?) or anything poking through the snow 'til July: the snowbanks are 5' high on the lawns.

I work from home most of the time, but sometimes I have to go into the office. Today is one of those days, so we had to chew-proof our workout room in the basement to keep pooch inside all day. Hope he doesn't eat the Treadmill! DW just now called and said someone just gave her a dogcrate, so at least after today, we're good. Phew.

C. in Edmonton: I have never used a diet delivery system, but for those quickie meals, I always have Lean Cuisine on hand. They are somewhat high in salt, but likely all of those delivered meals are too, since that's common with prepared foods. They have good variety, and these days, we can get them at the RCSS for $1.88 each. I have also made my own frozen portion-controlled meals with grilled chicken, frozen veggies, brown rice and BlueMenu sauces from President's Choice.

My George Foreman grill and my microwave are indispensable for quick, low-cal/low fat meals.

Bopeep: the food you ate on Sunday would take 2-3 days to show up as extra weight, so you have until next Monday to work off any possible negative effects, assuming you weigh in once a week, of course!

Nancy: Hope the little guy is okay 'n the whole family gets better quick.:hug:

Have to run...have a great day, everyone! :wave:

Ti'an

meowee
03-27-2008, 04:42 PM
Hi gang . . . I've had a really weird day.

As I've mentioned in the past, I'm a Diabetic . . . when I got up this morning my sugar level was a little high (probably stressing over my dentist appointment at 11:00 for a root canal). Anyway, I decided to delay eating breakfast for a bit and then (believe it or not) I totally forgot until I was pulling into the parking lot at the dentist's office and felt those nasty symptoms of a hypoglycemic event (dangerously low blood sugar) coming on. I immediately took some glucose tablets but was still staggering a little when I walked into the exam room. Anyway the dentist freaked out and decided to reschedule -- probably a good thing. I mean who needs a nervous dentist playing in your mouth with very sharp instruments. Also a bad thing, of course, because now I have to wait until April 8 to get this blinking root canal done.

Other than that SSDD . . . the sun is shining, but it's cold . . . LouLou and I did our normal Thursday mall-crawl and I'm ashamed to say that I definitely overdid it at lunch today. We went to Swiss Chalet and I even had dessert. :yikes: Oh well, tomorrow is another day, thank goodness.

:welcome: to the group CHUBBY (please give us something else to call you, Chickie). so glad to having you join us. I agree, lean cuisines, the PC Blue Menu things, and the Michelina meals are great for quick and easy and portion controlled food even though they are a litte heavy on sodium. Add a big salad (using those precut bags of greens for convenience) and you are in business. You have to add fresh veggies to most of the special diet delivery plans anyway and the cost is way out of line for food that is probably not as tasty and no more 'good for you' anyway.

Hello and big :grouphug: for everybody . . . sorry but I've gotta run . . . I'm way behind today. :wave:

Healthy Mama
03-27-2008, 07:19 PM
Hello everyone! Just in case you were wondering, we did in fact survive the freak snow storm that has blown through our little island in the Pacific. The Mayors have declared it an official emergency and we will be shut in for probably a week while we recover - it's time consuming to remove snow with spatulas. There has been talk of emergency measures being taken to prevent the cherry blossom trees from suffering too much more snow damage - perhaps large blowdryers? Okay, I'm am kidding, but we have had freak snow storms the past few days. Very weird...

I'm back at the gym and happy that the January crowds are thinning out a little and I don't have to use the sign up board to use the treadmill.

Hope all are well!

meowee
03-27-2008, 07:21 PM
Oh you poor dear lotuslander . . . real snow . . . tsk, tsk, tsk, :lol:

Daffy29
03-27-2008, 09:25 PM
Oh you poor dear lotuslander . . . real snow . . . tsk, tsk, tsk, :lol:

:rofl:

Justwant2Bhealthy
03-27-2008, 11:52 PM
MEOW ~ :lol3: Take a look at our snow below ...

CHUBBY ~ you mean, not very chubby; all the aforementioned ideas are great. Our local GT has all kinds of those premade meals for a really good price from .99c to 2.99 each. I've tried a few and they are good; but I use them only in emergs when we are short of time; and you do have to add veggies as most don't have any. We had chicken with veggies and rice (sweet & sour) that isn't too bad, but without something else with it, you'll likely feel hungry soon after (becuz you'll go blind looking for the chicken).;)

HMama ~ I bet it does seem freakish to get snow there; but it's happening all over the world: record snow and snow where it is least expected ~ LOL! Last weekend, my uncle who lives in BC too, was bragging on the phone that he had strawberries coming up already. Well, from his mouth to GOD's ears: guess he bragged just a little bit too much ... LOL! :D

BOPEEP ~ if I ate a ton of food, I would gain a ton of weight!;)

Hope you have a great 'NO MORE SNOW' week ...

bopeep
03-28-2008, 01:32 AM
Ok, so I am officially weird. I still have not had to pay the piper for the overindulgence of tasty duck dinner on Sunday. I'm still down a pound and the scale is debating weather I am down another quarter of a pound or a half a pound. Normally, me eating a ton of food means I gain two tons of weight. I am NOT the sort of person who loses weight easily, and the past three weeks I've been exercising every day with 40 minutes of cardio *and* either weights or my klutzy attempt to learn to step dance with not an ounce of fat lost to show for it. I think I just fell off the other end of the plateau I've been on for this past bit.

I did get some good feedback today - my mum sent me a box of clothes she bought for me, so I tried them on and took photos and sent them to her. She called me back and said my collarbones were peeking out!! :woohoo:

So with the new clothes, the good feedback and the fact that it's still sunny and above freezing, I'm in a great mood today :goodvibes

Chubby - Our local health food stores have a lot of good prepared food that's low in fat and calories and quite yummy. You might want to see if yours have a similar selection.

Healthy Mama - So that's where our snow went...

Meowee - Yikes! Having a hypo start to come on while you were out must have been scary! And the timing was really crappy too. It's hard to get yourself psyched up enough to get dental work done, but to have to do it twice - :eek:

BP

Daffy29
03-28-2008, 10:08 AM
G'morning, all.

So yesterday, things changed at the office and I was able to get home by 11. The dog had only been able to spill his water, which was no biggie. Spouse hoped she'd be home by the time I had to leave for an appointment, but no...by the time I got back, the dog had begun ripping up the carpet trying to dig his way out under the door. Then, he had the nerve to go back and continue the job while I was upstairs a short while later! It's not that big a deal, but really, dog, was that necessary?

Meowee: I think I saw something about more snow headed to NS. As one neighbour asked two 'significant snow events' ago, "Are we having fun yet?"

Bopeep: I guess in your case, you're getting a 'gift duck'! Congrats on the collarbones...I remember that feeling.

HMama: Sorry, I just had to laugh at Meowee's reaction, I couldn't help myself. It is harder to deal with snow when you aren't used to it and are not equipped tho'...just ask Toronto!

C. in Edmonton: I'm with Meowee, I would love another name to call you by.

I'm off to another day in the office...have a good one, all!

meowee
03-28-2008, 11:21 AM
Hi gang . . . :grouphug:

Gee . . . there is some kind of white, fluffy stuff falling out of the sky . . . wonder what that could be :shrug: . . . in other words -- WILL THIS WINTER NEVER END. :mad: But . . . at least there are no piles of it on the ground, I hope God doesn't hear that. :o

Well, guess I'd better try to get myself moving and shaking and get some good stuff done today -- so far all I've really done is sponge a lot of cat hair off the furniture; for what seems like hours. You know, I think I could keep going over the same places for the rest of the day (year) without stopping and still keep finding more . . . wonder why my cats aren't bald yet. :D

Okay, hope everybody has a great day . . . See you all later . . . :carrot:

Healthy Mama
03-28-2008, 05:50 PM
Happy Friday

Daffy and Meowee: Please feel free to make fun of us - it's a bit of a national sport I know - I lived in Calgary for 3 years so I understand REAL snow and REAL cold.

Bopeep: We had duck sausages on Easter - I am paying for it though as my weight has stayed the same this week :( - oh, and that Timmy's breakfast sandwich - yeah - I guess I'm lucky I stayed the same. Congratulations on the collarbones! I used to love my collarbones! I have collar cushions now.

Chubby: (yes, you need a new name - how about Gorgeous in Edmonton?) I am sorry to hear about your miscarriage - I know how painful and stressful that is :hug: Ditto what Bopeep said about frozen foods at the health food store. Amy's is a good brand. I would suggest adding in some salads though. Fibre is our friend.

Healthy: Oh, so it's your Uncle's fault we had snow! Tell him "no gloating until after April!"

meowee
03-28-2008, 09:39 PM
You are a good sport MAMA . . . and you know it's just our jealousy of your 'normal winter weather' that's doing the talking . . . BTW, we have about 5 cm of new snow on the ground and it's supposed to continue falling throughout the night . . . that's what I got for teasing you. :D

Healthy Mama
03-28-2008, 10:44 PM
Yep - it's called snow karma! Keep it up Canada!

bopeep
03-29-2008, 01:41 AM
I am so seriously green with envy about the Victoria winters! I'm an obsessed gardener and I'd move out there in a heartbeat if we could afford the land! Ye gads, all the things I could grow! But alas, we're not exactly rolling in cash so I'll just have to settle for poking fun of the snow panic :D ;)

It was an overcast and blah day here. Just above freezing and really uninspiring after the nice couple of days previous. Blah. Blah. Blah. Come back sun!!!

I had to take the day off of exercising today. I did something weird to my leg - the tendon in the inside of my thigh is all sore and stiff. I think I might have twisted it while I was all contorted trying to clean the kitchen ceiling yesterday - with all the extra light coming in the window, my apartment is beginning to look rather dirty! :eek: :faint:

I did manage to accomplish one thing today - I shoveled/chipped my way out to my pot storage area. Now I can start chipping away at the ice covering them and then I can start some more bulbs.

BP

Healthy Mama
03-29-2008, 10:16 AM
Oh Bopeep:
I know how you feel! I'm an obsessed gardener too! You should have seen me in Calgary. April hit and I would be outside trying to dig into the still frozen ground - pining for some colour! I learned alot about gardening though - having to work with the elements like that was completely new to me. I had never paid any thought to "zones" before.

I am going out to the garden centre this afternoon with a friend to look at what's new. I have a huge list of "wants" and need to stay focused. I am worse with plants than food. I binge purchase! If I don't bring a list I just buy it all!

Here's to self control!

Healthy Mama
03-29-2008, 10:25 AM
Hey all:
Just curious about something Bopeep said about buying land in Victoria - how much is an "average" house where y'all live?
We are in a suburb outside of Victoria - about 30 min from downtown and very central. We have a 1/4 acre lot with a 1700sq ft. rancher with double garage - built in the 80's and not updated since - with a 2yr. old renovating is just not a priority! We could sell it today for $475,000. We bought it 3 years ago for $335,000. We can't sell now because we could never afford to buy anything nicer. Just so you know, we all think these prices are insane too. Of course, up island and other areas of BC are much cheaper.

meowee
03-29-2008, 11:10 AM
Oh wow . . . house prices . . . you are speaking to a former Torontonion . . . everything seems cheap from that perspective. Anyway -- down here in rural Nova Scotia I have a side-split on almost a 1/2 acre corner lot; about the same size as your house Mama with garage and also built in the early 80's. I paid $83,000 for it in 1991. It's now worth about $125,000. :lol: You could come down here and buy four houses. Of course -- our food prices and our gas prices (currently $1.20 per litre) would soon gobble up the difference -- so you'd better only buy three. :yes: And my relatives wonder why I didn't move back to Ontario when I retired. :yikes:

Boy, did I sleep in . . . almost 9 am when I finally got up . . . and my blood sugar was awful (must have been the timing -- the almost 2 quarts of ice cream I ate yesterday couldn't have had anything to do with it -- :o ). The sun is trying to poke out off and on today and it looks so pretty shining on the almost 4 inches of fresh snow. :dizzy: I am not going anywhere today and that's a good thing because the radio has been talking about some pretty nasty accidents on local roads over last night and early this morning.

While I was out yesterday (as well as the Ice cream :mad:), I bought a couple of new Health/Weight related books . . .

Eat This - Not that, by David Zinczenko (the Abs Diet guy) So far, I'm a little disappointed with this one -- mainly because it is very US oriented. It compares a lot of restaurant meals and different brand-name products that we, unfortunately, do not have here in the frozen north called Canada. :lol: There are some real eye-openers though; but you do have to read the fine print because sometimes the main differences that they are quoting are not instantly clear in the pictures (it's very visually driven).

Magic Foods for Better Blood Sugar, by Robert A. Barnett (one of the authors of TheVolumetrics Weight control Plan which is one of my favourites). At first perusal, I like this one a lot. It is aimed at the current epidemic of Metabolic Syndrome sufferers rather than those of us who already have full blown diabetes. It's based on the GI (Glycemic Index) -- actually the more recent GL (Glycemic Load) which improves on the GI shortcoming by taking into consideration the actual impact of a 'serving' of food rather than a predetermined amount of net carbohydrate -- and I am a firm believer in the GI/GL theory of Good Carbs/Bad Carbs.

Anyway . . . enough of my babbling for now . . . I've got other places to visit around 3FC and it's the noon hour already . . . so I'd better get myself moving and shaking . . . Hope you all have a great day, doing lots of good stuff . . . see you later. :wave:

bopeep
03-29-2008, 11:27 AM
Healthy mama - watch out for those sticky pots. If you pick them up you can't put them down. The only way to unstick them is with liberal applications of plastic or colourful rectangular paper. I'm waiting for the weather to warm up enough for me to make the trek out to my favourite nursery - I too have a list of plants that I 'need', and I'm sure a few others I didn't know I 'needed' will jump into my cart while I'm not looking ;)

Housing prices here are more than insane. We live in downtown Montreal and we rent a ground floor flat in an very trendy area that has row house type of housing. To buy a place that's about 1000-1200sq. ft, you'd need at least $400 000, unless you wanted a real 'fixer-upper' (and by that I mean a place that hasn't been renovated in over 100 years). A place just down the street that was recently renovated sold for $500 000 last year (and it sold quickly). The burbs are similarly priced, but you get a bigger place and a postage stamp sized lot of land. If you go outside the city, things get more reasonable (and you can get real land for gardening). That's probably where we'll head if/when we have to move from our current place.

BP

mileigh
03-29-2008, 11:53 AM
I just found your thread and like to join?

I am fairly new to 3FC, and have recently started dieting (again). I lost 35 lbs in 2002/2003. Then suprisingly got pregnant after years of trying. 2 children later and a hubby's tour of duty in that overseas place, I am having to start again. Last time I lost so much weight, I was low carbing it, and keeping my eye on my calories. This time I have 2 children- 2 and 4 and a husband who is deployed a lot of the time. I also am working full time. I was trying for several months with no luck. I would eat alright when I had the time to prepare, but in my household time is in short supply. In addition, I was diagnosed as gestational diabetic with both children. I have some residual impared glucose tolerance. My family doctor thinks I am diabetic; however the specialist isn't really sure. (A long story)

Anyway, on Feb 17, I started the diabetic program on nutrisystem. I have a friend who had real sucess. I have lost 15.6 lbs since. I thought the food would be horrible. Maybe actually hoping it would be to help not to eat more. But most of it is good. I have a few things that are not great, but some of the stuff is pretty good. It has additional fibre and protein over store bought stuff to help you stay on target. For me it was a simple matter of convience and not having enough time to prepare healthy and portion sized meals in the little time I have available.

I live in Manitoba and am currently waiting for the storm to hit. They are calling for 30+ cm by tomorrow night. Hopefully they are really mistaken as things were just starting to melt!

I read most of the thread from the beginning. I wish I could find the time to get on my treadmill like most of you. I try to manage twice a week. Usually once on the weekend and once on Mondays (the house hasn't degraded from a week of working by Monday- Things don't start to go downhill until Tuesday, LOL) The rest of the week is tied up with getting things ready for daycare/ lunches the next day, meals and cleanup.

It's nice to have somewhere to talk to fellow Canadians. Most of the other threads they talk about products and things that don't mean much to us because it doesn't apply or we cannot buy it here!

Have a good weekend everyone!

Daffy29
03-29-2008, 12:54 PM
Hi Mileigh! :wave: :welcome:

I remember those days, working full time and taking care of house and child, but I only had one, and my then-hubby was at least there, if not very helpful. Hats off to you for getting this far with those challenges, and for finding treadmill time!

HMama: "I have collar cushions now"...thank goodness I wasn't drinking coffee...Thanks for the laugh. :)

HMama/Bopeep: DW used to let me go to the nursery by myself, but not anymore...she's keeps a close eye, otherwise I would bring home tons of stuff, despite the fact I do NOT have a green thumb :(

We live in the Ottawa 'burbs, in a semi-detached about 15 min out of downtown, (if there's no traffic). Our lot is huge by today's standards, 35' wide by 135' deep, we have about 1400 sq feet. In our neighbourhood, one with a few more features than ours just sold for just under $265,000. We bought ours in 2000 for $124,000, when updated ones were going for about $140,000. We updated it, and really lucked out insofar as timing goes: it's worth $255,000+ now. My daughter's tiny 600 sq ft condo, right downtown is worth about $180,000.

Bopeep, I had no idea Montreal had gotten SO pricey! I remember when my folks bought a McGill side split in Pte-Claire on a huge lot for $21,500 in '71, a very similar house one street away is listed right now for $309K.

Meowee, I know that pretty 'sun on snow' look well, we see lots at the cottage, particularly this winter! Sure beats the 'urban grunge snow' vista I get here in town.

Have a great day everyone! Someone mentioned snowstorm, so I'm off to check the weather, just in case...we're close to a record here, and since we've shovelled this much, I'm hopeful we get there.

Nancy CA
03-29-2008, 02:31 PM
Well hello there again! I've had a crazy, busy week so I haven't been posting much. My entire family (6 of us) came down with the flu at the same time. Between being sick and taking care of everyone else, my eating habits hae suffered a little. I just haven't felt like eating at all. So I'm hoping my metabolism doesn't bite me in the butt (literally) once I find my appetite again.

Welcome to the thread Miliegh! I just started here myself!

As or house prices, it's fairly expensive here too. Not Toronto high but high enough. I'm in London ON and you can't buy a house for under $200,000. Well, not one you would want to live in or in a neighbourhood you would want either.

meowee
03-29-2008, 03:12 PM
Hi MILEIGH . . . :wel3fc: and to our little group as well . . . hope you will love it around here as much as the rest of us do . . . 3FC is a wonderful place for lots of support and information as we all travel down the long and sometimes bumpy road to better health and fitness.

BTW, I'm also the moderator of the Diabetes Support Forum here at 3FC . . . so if you'd like to chat about that 'long story' you can drop me a PM or come over to the forum for a chat.

Hi NANCY . . . Hi DAFFY . . . big :hug: for each of you.

Chris
03-29-2008, 10:38 PM
I'm not far from Toronto (Oakville/Burlington border, actually) and prices are insane. My house bought for $75,000 in 1985 now sells for $350,000 and same house downtown Oakville would be $600,000 and downtown Burlington $500,000. It's insane. Its a 1300 sq foot backsplit. Lot size is 45' x 150'.

Chris

Justwant2Bhealthy
03-30-2008, 12:03 AM
:wave: We had a lovely sunny day today; went shopping and got some walking in today. Our housing prices are probably lowest of all mentioned, if you don't mind our weather, that is. The prices have started climbing this past year quite a lot becuz people from the south caught wind of how cheap homes were here from the net. Some places have doubled or tripled (ie they bought for $50,000 and can now sell for $150,000). You can still buy a decent bungalow here for $75,000 to $100,000.

Have a great weekend all ... :hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

meowee
03-30-2008, 08:20 AM
:wave: It's snowing again . . . :mad: . . . Looks Like March is trying to do both IN and OUT in LION-mode. Things will have to change a lot by tomorrow for it to turn into a LAMB.

bopeep
03-30-2008, 11:20 AM
Daffy - Montreal prices really started to shoot up about ten years ago. We've lived in our neighbourhood (Plateau) for 18 years and a place that sold for $85 000 in 1992, sold again two years ago for $420 000. We should have bought way back then, but DH was a grad student and buying a place even for $85 000 was out of our range! Now $400 000 is out of our range, so we still can't afford to buy here!

Rosebud - I imagine the heating would quickly eat up a lot of the money one saves on housing in your area? What about gas and groceries? Do you have to pay a lot more because you're further north?

March is going out more lionish than it came in! Yesterday DH and I were out and the temp was 0, but there was a wicked -10 wind chill. Brrrrr.... The weather is predicting 11 degrees for the first day of April - we'll see weather or not that turns out to be a joke.

Today is tax day. :( DH so dreads it! Because he's self employed and his income if from a foreign source, his return is really complicated. It isn't helped by the fact that the d*** Quebec government can't make up its mind on how they want him to declare his income. Depend on who he's talking to he gets told to do it several different ways. Then, when he finally fills it out, he gets told that he needed to do it yet another different way. After twelve years of this crap he's ready to tell them he's a bum and has no income :lol:

BP

Daffy29
03-30-2008, 03:40 PM
Bopeep, I don't envy you your tax situation...QC is not known for it's being organized or kind in that department. I can't wait to see how things go for us when I come back to work in Ontario after my sabbatical year in QC, and DW stays behind, being supported by me...That should really set their heads spinning!

We have a beautiful sunny day here, too...warm. We can actually see a bit of grass peeking out from beneath the snowbanks either side of the drive. The city went by last night at 9 PM with the huge snowblowers and widened the street on both sides. We'll be able to leave one vehicle in the road again.

Pooch took us for a nice walk, and then we all went to the park to play fetch. I guess he, too, feels it's all about the journey not the goal, because he'll run after the ball when we throw it, pick it up, then leave it there and come back, leaving us to fetch it :rolleyes: Or maybe he thinks he's teaching us to play fetch...

Have a great day, all! :wave:

SeaWave
03-30-2008, 10:34 PM
Hi everyone! :wave:

Just joined 3FC earlier this month, and am looking forward to sharing ideas and encouragement with everyone here. I'm 46, recently celebrated my 20th wedding anniversary. We have a 14 year-old son, and 3 rescue cats. I'm not sure which keeps us most busy!

My weight loss project is part of a wider recovery from thyroid cancer. It took a few years to get a resolution and have the thing removed, and the low metabolism and lifestyle changes I suffered in the meantime really did me in. My goal is to lose about 115 lbs / 52.16 kilos (I'm still not used to weighing myself in kilos!) I plan to follow the South Beach diet (recommended by my doctor), but am gearing up to first follow a low-iodine diet for some treatments I'm doing towards the end of April. That one means max 6 oz of meat per day, no dairy, no commercially prepared foods, no restaurants. The timing is a happy coincidence, as I expect that will kick-start me in the right direction for weight loss! :cp:

Aside from food, I am to gradually become more active. My goal for April is just to do something - anything - at least one time per day, to ultimately by the end of the month do some time on the recumbent bicycle. The end of my treatments will coincide with serious garden planning, and hiking in the woods in May - more happy coincidences :carrot:

So the stars seem to be on my side. (That, of course, means that this nasty white stuff will melt into the ground. If I hear that four-letter word one more time in the forecasts...:mad:)

Later!

bopeep
03-30-2008, 11:03 PM
Hi seawave! Lots of kitty fans here! I only have two at the moment, both special needs cats, so they're quite a handful. With spring coming it's almost time where you *really* want to get out and get moving, after being cooped up all winter. Gardening is a great activity, but it won't really start for me for another month. I'm an obsessed gardener with a very small yard and it's amazing how much time I can spend on it and how pooped I can get! It's nice that you've got some woods for walking - I really miss that.

Daffy - DH has never, NEVER, had the federal government give him any kind of hassle about his return, but the Quebec government always has something to say about it. I'm also supported by him, and one year they even questioned that - 'why wasn't I working'? Ummm... That'd be a big 'none of your d*** beeswax'!. God help them if they ever get their wish and become a separate country - they'll drown in their own bureaucracy!

DH decided to split up the tax headache into two weekends this year - his theory being that if he can break it into more manageable chunks it won't be so frustrating. So, after that we went out and stocked up our wine fridge (a walk of one hour and carried the heavy bottles back home), then we popped in a movie and took turns on the elliptical, doing a loooong slow 'run' instead of heart pumping stuff.

Dinner was roast chicken, baked sweet potato wedges (no fat needed) and some swiss chard with garlic.

Tomorrow we're supposed to get a mixture of snow and rain. You know - I used to have another word in mind when I thought of a four letter curse word starting in 's'...

BP

meowee
03-31-2008, 05:43 AM
Morning . . . :wave:

I'm up way too early this morning -- already working on the 3rd :coffee:. Can't tell what the day is going to bring to Atlanticca on this final day of March because it is only just starting to lighten up; but the radio is saying sun for today and that other S word (about 4 cm. worth) for tomorrow -- aww, come on guys, enough already. :mad:

Hi there SEAWAVE . . . :welcome: to our little group and :wel3fc: also. Glad to have you joining us. Whereabouts in this tiny little country of ours are you actually located? Five cats for me . . . three 'rescues' and two purebred Bengal Leopard cats (terrible little prima donnas, BTW). That's Purrecious (aka Flying Squirrel) looking out at you from my Avatar.

Cute one BP . . . You're right . . . we can now go around saying "Oh Snow" whenever we need to let off a little steam and everybody will understand instantly what we mean. :lol:

Well, guess I'd better get on about my business . . . see you later, gang.

mileigh
03-31-2008, 08:02 AM
Well the storm wasn't so bad! We only got about 15 cm. It was white out for several hours and they closed the number 1 Hwy. It moved into Ontario last night and we cleared right up. I hat the spring storms! Not only does it feel like it shouldn't be there, but you get the heavy snow that takes so much more to shovel! And the power flickers kept taking out our wireless network. Internet and satellite TV kept going up and down. Sigh.

Welcome SeaWave. I only started in this forum this weekend! That low iodine diet seems like it will do wonders. Can't really eat out or cheat if it's for a medical procedure.

Bopeep- Good luck with the taxes. I am not near QC, but I can feel the pain. I have enough trouble doing my own (and dh) and my mother's (she's still in New Brunswick- where I'm from originally)

As far as housing prices here, I am rural. In the nearest town, about 1/2 hour away, the average 3 bedroom is about $175,000.00. I live outside of won and have about an acre.

I haven't gardened in the last few years with the kids being so small and DH being away, but this year we intend to put in veggies for sure! I am looking forward to it!

Looks like I am home from work today. My dd has a stomache bug and was up for several hours last night. I am sure that the daycare definitely doesn't want her in this condition!

Everyone have a healthy day!

Daffy29
03-31-2008, 08:45 AM
As I took my first step out of the bedroom this morning, I glanced across the hall and out through the windows of my office...I could not believe what I was seeing and literally blinked and rubbed my eyes to be sure. More white fluffy s***. As I write this, it has stopped and is starting to rain.

Apparently, we are due to get 2-4 mm of freezing rain this am, followed by close to 25 mm of rain by tomorrow am. They're saying to watch for flooding, which likely won't affect us, but some neighbourhoods close to here are lower, and closer to the river...

On the positive side, they are saying it could rid us of one-quarter of our current snow accumulation :carrot: THAT would be wonderful.

I am usually a weigh once-a-week person, but this week I have been obsessively stepping on every morning. There was more good news this am, with another pound gone. While yesterday's breakfast was not OP as we went out, I did keep it reasonable. The rest of the day was good.

Yesterday, I spent some time making my own portion-controlled low-cal meals. It took very little time, and I find the benefits are several: I add no salt, so the sodium is limited to the sauce and natural content of the ingredients. I use brown rice. For similar calorie counts I get about 2.5 oz of chicken and lots more veggies, and I only used a tablespoon of sauce per meal. I was going to use more, but the Tbs. looked about right.

I also picked up a silicone mini-muffin tin for freezing sauce portions one Tbs. at a time. This will let me have a greater variety of tastes in my meals, even if the basic ingredients stay the same. I think I will experiment with WW pasta, and maybe potatoes in the next batch.

:welcome: Seawave! I'm guessing you're on one of the coasts, but then again, maybe your nickname is just wishful thinking... Best wishes for sticking to that no-iodine meal plan. I myself would find it somewhat challenging :dust:

:wave: Have a good day, everyone! Someone, somewhere, enjoy a ray of sunshine on my behalf, please, since I clearly will not be seeing any today.

Ti'an

SeaWave
03-31-2008, 08:57 PM
Oh SNOW! :mad: (I think that says it all.) It's nice to know there are other gardeners out there. We can encourage each other to snip and trim in the stifling heat of the summer -- yes, it is coming! (right?)

Bopeep - Oooooh, Quebec taxes. I've only heard of them second hand, and they still give me the creeps. Good luck!

Meowee, I'm from the Ottawa east suburbs, so Bopeep, we drive to the woods - I don't have any of my very own (wish I did, though!). And Daffy, no I'm not from one of the coasts. My parents are from the Acadian Peninsula in NB, though, so I've got the ocean in my heart. I grew up in the Niagara Peninsula before moving to Ottawa in my mid-twenties.

Daffy - I too have just picked up some silicone baking stuff (40% sale at Canadian Tire!), but not the tins. They're like the paper liners that you use in regular muffin tins, but silicone. I've never used the stuff, but my mil swears by it, and you don't need to grease or oil. I'm all for that!

Keeping thoughts of :sunny::swim: and :broc: (that's gardening, folks, not food! -- need a flower smilie!). Thanks for the warm welcomes!

JuliaDH
03-31-2008, 09:11 PM
HI Everyone!

Its good to see a place that has its fill of "canadian content". Just started on my new journey. Got tired of living with my head in the sand. The weight is coming off whether it wants to or not!:smug:

hugemomof5
03-31-2008, 10:47 PM
just wanted to pop in, i am a cold cold cunuck aswell. :) live in ontario.

i weight over 330 lbs and really want to get it off. just got tested for sleep apnea and awaiting the results :( maybe this will help me find the energy to exercise :o)

well just wanted to say HI :o)

Justwant2Bhealthy
04-01-2008, 12:27 AM
:wave: We had a lovely sunny day, so we went shopping and ran errands in town. The snow was melting becuz of the very warm temps; in the 40's F most of the day. Tonight they are calling for that snowstorm from Manitoba to land here; gee, I was hoping it was just an April Fool's joke ... guess not ... ah, shucks!!!

:wel3fc: TO ALL THE NEWBIES ...

Yah, the homes are a better price, but you do have to pay more for heat here becuz of the colder temps, but this year we were milder than normal. We probably pay more for gas and food and such as well; not sure that would make up for the difference though as $100,000 is a lot less than $500,000 esp when you add on the interest ~ LOL!

Have a great night ... :hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

meowee
04-01-2008, 09:20 AM
Okay everybody, since it is the :joker: day . . . What was your best ever April Fool's prank? Either one that you pulled or one that was pulled on you?

Brace yourselves because mine is a fairly long story . . . If you are old enough you will probably remember that the conversion to the metric system in Canada was a very long (and tedious) ten year event, but nobody got too excited about it until things started being converted in the stores in the early 1980's -- pounds to kilograms; inches to centimetres; yards to metres, etc. Talk about confusion. :dizzy: Wow. :dizzy: Anyway . . . as I was driving to a business meeting one morning (about a 45 minute trip from Toronto to Kitchener), the radio started broadcasting the latest news in the great (and unpopular) changeover to metric. Effective the beginning of next month (May 1) we would be changing to a metric time system -- 100 seconds = 1 minute; 100 minutes = 1 hour; we would, therefore. be converting to 14 hour days, and to top it off; the year would be divided into 10 months of approximately 62 days each. Pretty far-fetched you say -- :yes: -- but by the time I got to my destination, they actually had me believing it. It was very well done. I walked into my meeting and reported this latest happening and almost got laughed out of the room. :o:o:o

This morning both Mom Nature and the Scale-:devil: are playing tricks on me. We have about 4 inches (10 centimetres, in case you care :D) of heavy,wet, fresh snow on the ground but it is supposed to get washed away by rain later on today (high temp of +9C/48F predicted). The really nasty thing for this morning, however, is that my weight is 1.6 pounds over my ticker number (just to complete the translation process, that's about 3/4 of a kilo :lol:). Oh well . . . both the nasty weather and the nasty weight blip will soon be gone again. :crossed:

Have a great moving and shaking day, gang . . . :carrot:

Cindylouwho67
04-01-2008, 10:54 AM
Hi Everyone...
I am new to 3FC and thanks Meowee to telling me about this group
and also you asked me where was I
Well I am in New Brunswick

JuliaDH
04-01-2008, 11:13 AM
Help! Had my annual physical Dr office scale said 317 but the centre scale says 321. Whos do I believe?

meowee
04-01-2008, 11:17 AM
Welcome Aboard CINDY . . . :hug:

It really doesn't matter JULIA . . . :hug: . . . you are so much more than just a number. Which one will you be weighing on the most often? That's the one to use.

Justwant2Bhealthy
04-01-2008, 03:24 PM

HI CINDY from New Brunswick ...

JULIA ~ the same thing happened to me; at the doctor's I weighed only 307 and bought a digital that had me at 321 or so. I have lost another 3 or 4 lbs since then, but the scale jumps up and down all the time with my water retention problems. But I agree with MEOWEE, just pick one and stick with it.

We have a mega-storm right now and have had about 4 + feet of snow dumped outside our back door. All the highways are closed and everyone that is wise is staying home.

Have a great day :hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

meowee
04-01-2008, 03:31 PM
Just don't you send that down here . . . :no:. . . that means the snow, I already have the same scale. :lol:

JuliaDH
04-01-2008, 03:42 PM
Thanks everyone! I will stick with the higher since that is where my WI are going to be.

Rosebud where are you? We have had rain in kitchener all day. Good thing it is washing away all the dirty snow. But we are having 70 km hour winds and it is getting winder and colder again!

meowee
04-01-2008, 04:11 PM
Julia . . . you know where I am . . . but . . . I lived in Kitchener for 10 years before I came down here 15 years ago. . . The saga of those infamous Tire Companies. . . :lol:

Chris
04-01-2008, 08:51 PM

We have a mega-storm right now and have had about 4 + feet of snow dumped outside our back door. All the highways are closed and everyone that is wise is staying home.

Have a great day :hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

Justwant, where are you in Ontario?? Four feet of snow, that's horrible.

Chris

mileigh
04-01-2008, 09:44 PM
Rosebud-So sorry. We probably sent you the snow from Manitoba! We were supposed to get in excess of 30 cm, but only ended up with 15. Looks like it held off until it dumped on you!

Julia- I had the same problem with scales. Had an old one. It kept going up and down. Literally I would gain 4lbs in a day. Then lose it by the next day. Thought it was just an old scale. Went out and bought a fancy weight watchers scale with BMI and water %. It showed me up several lbs from my starting. That was after I'd lost 6 on my old scale (taking an average of some crazy weights. Now I am weighing on two trying to figure out which one I like! LOL. I think the new one is what I am sticking with! As long as you stick with one to measure by, that's about all you can do!

Cindy- I grew up in NB before I came to MB. Around Fredericton.

I wasn't part of any April Fools day jokes. Actually forgot about it until tonight. So so busy at work. Meowee, that is so funny about the metric system.:D I probably would have believed it, too!

Mom of 5- when do you get your results from your apnea tests? Did you have to stay over in a sleep clinic?

Well, everyone have a great night!

hugemomof5
04-01-2008, 10:01 PM
yes i have had a sleep study done, results will be about 3 weeks :( i HATE waiting.

tomarrow is weigh in.. i hope to see a down and not a up :)

JuliaDH
04-01-2008, 10:18 PM
No more tire companies. Goodwich closed down 1.5 yrs ago. They moved south. We live by Fairview mall, which had a huge renovtion last year. Hubby parkes his transport truck over at Al's Cartage. Kinda like it here for now. When the kids get alittle older we will probably move to a smaller community like Breslau.

betty grrl
04-01-2008, 10:23 PM
Hey Ladies,
I'm from Winnipeg. Saw this forum "Crazy Canucks" had to drop in and say hi!!!