LA Weight Loss - 'volumetrics' - Jan/feb 2008

View Full Version : 'volumetrics' - Jan/feb 2008

meowee
01-04-2008, 08:54 AM
Welcome . . . :welcome: . . . Thought we should have a new start once again . . . Hope this will become one of your favourite places at 3FC . . . :yes:

VOLUMETRICS is not new, it just hasn't been making as big a splash in the weight loss community as some of the better known plans. I first discovered Volumetrics about a year or two ago thanks to the review on 3FC. After reading the review I went and bought both of the books and decided the Principles of Volumetrics was something I could live with . . . forever.

VOLUMETRICS explains how to FEEL FULL ON FEWER CALORIES . . . and let's face it, most of us don't stick with something very long, if we feel totally deprived all the time. The guiding principle is to get the 'highest volume of food at the lowest cost in calories' by choosing foods with a lower ED (Energy Density). BTW, 3FC has a data-base of over 7000 foods and is one of the few that includes the ED for all the items.

What foods have a lower ED? Basically, those that contain the highest water and fibre contents . . . for example; we all know that grapes and raisins start out as the same fruit, right? Raisins simply have had the water content removed. Did you know that 1/4 cup of raisins contains about 100 calories? More importantly . . . did you know that you can eat almost 2 full cups of grapes for the same 100 calories! I know which would make me feel fuller and stay fuller for longer . . . how about you?

Anyway, enough of my blathering for now . . . Please come and join our little discussion group as we help each other make our way along the long and winding road to better health and fitness the VOLUMETRICS way . . . hope to see you all soon . . . :wave:

meowee
01-04-2008, 09:04 AM
:grouphug: Hi there everybody . . . :wave:

Well, I am back home . . . after a particularly harrowing three hour drive from the airport on Wednesday night -- trip is usually under an hour and a half -- in blizzard conditions. My luggage didn't get here until after 5 pm yesterday, however. Somebody else grabbed it at the airport. :mad: think I'm going to stencil cats (or something) all over it to make if look unusual since people obviously don't bother to read the name tags.

Everything is okay with the cats -- although they did manage to break a few things while I was gone. Guess they were bored. :shrug: Nothing that can't be replaced. At least they all seem to be in good health. :)

Health-wise . . . well, I'm starting January five pounds heavier than I started December. Considering the garbage I've been eating and the exercise I have not been doing, things could be worse. As soon as I visit a few more places around 3FC, I'll update my profile comments and my ticker to reflect the latest venture down the long and bumpy road to better health and fitness.

Hope this will be a great year for all of us, gang . . . see you soon . . . :D

waterbaby
01-04-2008, 01:36 PM
Hello!

I tracked this thread down and am glad I found it!

Just getting started with the Volumetrics idea. It may not be a flashy way to lose the pounds, but the results speak for themselves!

I read much of the other Volumetrics threads and hope maybe others will come this way.

Thank you, meowee, for continuing this thread. Hopes all goes well on the scale!

Oh, by the way -- I'm Claire, really overweight and wanting to lose the extra pounds in a healthy manner. I've owned so many diet books and programs and tried everything (at least it feels that way) to get this stubborn fat off me. I think Volumetrics may be the answer.

Cheers!

teacher1
01-04-2008, 07:18 PM
Linda- Welcome back home! I'm glad to hear the cats are healthy. I had to up my ticker after the holidays too.

Welcome to the group Claire!

Everyone have a great weekend :)

Christin In CO
01-04-2008, 11:17 PM
Hi! I found the book at my local library and I am already learning sooo much. Its really common sense, but of course you can't make a lot of money on something that isn't flashy and most of all making you sick, I guess that's why I had never heard of it.

I finally worked my way to the recipes and I can't wait to get my shopping list together with all the good things. And the idea that I can still have my favorite foods, combined with healthy choices... I'm all for it.

I look forward of course to learning more and getting rid of the last 40+ pounds!

gailr42
01-05-2008, 12:39 AM
Hey, Linda, glad to see you back. Also happy to hear that the cats are well. I'll bet they were glad to see you after they got done giving you the cold shoulder :lol:.

Welcome, Christin!

I imagine I will have to adjust my ticker up. I haven't weighed for a few days because I was so high - I am hoping some of it was due to all the ham I ate (water retention).

I did really well today until I had a few cashews and a very modest serving of Ben and Jerry's chocolate fudge frozen yogurt. I never should have bought the frozen yogurt, but I had never seen it before and felt like I had to try it as my contribution to research.

ArtCat
01-05-2008, 10:55 AM
Welcome home, Linda! And welcome also to Claire and Christin! This is by far the easiest and most effective "diet" I've ever been on, but it's still not magic, and you have to be really aware of what you're putting into your mouth. I think the biggest ingredient is your personal mindset, and deciding that this will be a new way of life for you, not a temporary diet.

and that's my sermon for now. Like Gail, I'm waiting to do my official weigh-in, just so that everything bad I've eaten gets a chance to stick to my body. When I have a true weight, I'll know what I have to deal with. I actually don't think it's going to be too bad. I made sure I stuffed veggies in between everything bad I ate, so hopefully that affected the amount of bad stuff I ate.

Have a great weekend everybody!

meowee
01-05-2008, 02:14 PM
Great big :welcome: to each of CLAIRE and CHRISTIN. So glad to have you joining us. I know you will enjoy the site and I know you will do well with the principles of Volumetrics, too.

Well gang . . . don't know how I've found so much stuff that has to be done so urgently so early in the year . . . but I have. Hey, it's helping me to stay on track. Yesterday was pretty good (a little too much starchy stuff, though) and so far today is going great. Helps that the sun is shining and the temperatures are sneaking up to near the freezing mark (which is fairly much the seasonal norm around here) and the Khat Khids seem to have finally forgiven me.

Well, I'd better get back to work. Hope everybody has a great day of doing the good stuff. Keep things moving and shaking, gang . . . :carrot:

teacher1
01-05-2008, 04:12 PM
Happy Saturday!! I'm keeping on track with my goals :) Yeah me! It's been a hard struggle for me. I love food and was totally out of control during the holidays. But now on day 4 on the plan I'm finally feeling more in control.

bobbigene
01-06-2008, 09:21 AM
Hello everyone! My first week attempting to get back on track was a mixed bag. Some days really good, some days - well let's just say those sugar cookies were really good. I think last week was still part of the holidays, half my office was gone. This week will be better, back to normal, back to watching what I eat and keeping it as volumetric as possible! Good luck to us all!

teacher1
01-06-2008, 11:11 AM
Morning everyone,
I got to move my ticker down 1 pound. I know it's not much but baby steps. Have a great day!

ArtCat
01-06-2008, 06:11 PM
Congratulations Teacher! And so early in the year, too!

Here's to all of us seeing out tickers go down, too!

meowee
01-07-2008, 06:55 AM
Hi gang . . .

Wow, life has been a little chaotic recently. Hopefully things will get back to normal (read dull and boring) really soon and I'll get more time to chat. At least the eating has been pretty good for the past couple of days and the weather -- although dull -- is definitely a lot warmer.

Have a great day . . . See you soon . . . :carrot:

waterbaby
01-07-2008, 12:40 PM
Thanks so much for the welcome! I am also a cat person and am enjoying the kitty avatars!

I am already having some results from this way of eating. This morning, my ankles weren't so swollen and my feet looked normal for the first time in three years.

I'm sold on this!!

Our temp is supposed to hit 71 today -- about thirty degrees above normal, and will plummet back into the 30s by the weekend. I'm going between two wardrobes!!!

Have a great Monday, all!!

gailr42
01-07-2008, 04:36 PM
I am not sure what I am trying to say in the following rambling paragraphs. I think it is that volumetric principles work pretty darned well utill you mess it up with a high density meal.:lol:

I had a bad food day yesterday. I went out for breakfast. Hoping to get a smaller portion, I ordered from the senior menu. I had an omlette, hashbrowns and sour dough toast - I didn't even think to ask for the toast without butter. The omlette had bacon and cheese in it. It was all good, but I could tell that it was greasy - read high energy dense. I also had a small piece of cake. Well, I wasn't hungry again until dinner, so I ate a good healthy dinner - a big salmon salad and vegetable soup and 6 oz of 1% milk. The problem was that by bed time, I was ravenously hungry and ate a half a big milk chocolate candy bar and a bowl full of oyster crackers.

I learned a couple of things. First, don't eat such an energy dense meal - it totally messes up the rest of the day. I could have ordered a salad. I just didn't think of it. Second, the volumetrics book mentions that the weight of the food is important. the omlette didn't weigh nearly as much as the ones I make at home because I smother them with veggies and soy or chicken sausage crumbles. I probably should have eaten something else later in the afternoon. Between not eating in the afternoon and choosing a pretty light dinner, I ended up starving too late in the day.

The small piece of cake I had was worth it. The breakfast was not. Part of my "not thinking" has to do with my hardly ever eating out except for Sizzler where I get the salad bar. I don't usually have to try to figure out what I can eat at a restaurant.

When I make my own food, it is always pretty. My omlette has parsley or something sprinkled on it. My fruit bowl has a bit of fresh mint on it. I use those little red, yellow and orange peppers to garnish some of my meals. The breakfast I had at the restaurant didn't have a single garnish. Yellow eggs, white bread, white potatoes. Pretty is important. Speak to as many senses as possible when trying to achieve satiety.

The volumetrics book also mentions drinking smoothies with lots of air incorporated. I think I am going to try to figure out a smoothie recipe that I can drink for a bedtime snack. I keep waking up or not going to sleep because I am hungry.

It appears that I have gained about two pounds from my holiday season excesses. That is really pretty good, although having to loose two pounds again is discouraging.

ArtCat
01-07-2008, 04:41 PM
My weather is similar to yours right now, Claire- we had a high of 58 today, and we're headed back to winter over the next few days. Crazy, huh?
Tell us about your cat(s) if you have any!

I officially weighed in today and was surprised to see that I had maintained the weight loss that I worked on before the holidays. I figured that if I went into them with some leeway, I might still come out ahead. So now I'm even closer to Linda's "Onederland"

My neighbor is interested in Volumetrics, so I'm giving her the book today- hopefully she'll come on board and I'll have a diet partner!

teacher1
01-07-2008, 07:10 PM
Hi-
Today was a good day. A little too high for my food but I exercised and I'm feeling more in control, baby steps

waterbaby
01-08-2008, 01:49 PM
Hello, all!

Well, I had my big weigh-in today and I have lost 16 pounds over the holidays. I had lost 5 pounds thanksgiving week and hadn't weighed in since then.

I credit much of this success with the few changes (baby steps) I made recently, including eating foods with a higher water content before my "main course" -- must admit, my jaw hit the floor when they told me how much I'd lost!!

As for my furries, we have a brother and sister -- Rusty is our (neutered) male, kind of a pinky-tan tabby, big old lover.

His sister is BooBoo -- she has been spayed and is extremely shy with everyone but my husband and I. She will tolerate you if you come to our house often enough -- has a very sweet disposition. She is tortoise shell with a white bib and tummy and has a ginger mustache and goatee!

We got them from a lady who loves kitties (hers live in a nice clean barn) and they are half Persian and half Norwegian Forest Cat. They have the Forest Cat face and size and coat, with the LONG Persian guard hairs and wide, tufted paws.

I have always had cats, with the occasional dog/fish/bird thrown in the mix...

Also enjoying getting to know people here. The plan isn't glamorous or in-your-face, but it's working!

Anyone see the commercial where the couple is in the fancy restaurant and he refers to their portions as "elf food?" How many diets have we been on where we ate "elf food" and wondered why we didn't lose much weight after the first couple of weeks?

This plan is awesome because I get to eat good stuff, and eat enough so I'm satisfied.

Thanks in advance for any advice or tips. :D

gailr42
01-08-2008, 04:58 PM
I just saw that "elf food" commercial this morning. My face fell just like the couple in the commercial when I saw what they got for a meal. I could feel their pain. Anyway, yes, I am grateful that I can have just about as many aspargus spears as I like on this plan. :lol:

bobbigene
01-08-2008, 07:10 PM
Howdy do everyone! WOW!! 16 pounds lost over the holidays - that is awesome! I don't think I could have lost that much without having something amputated.

I'm back in line with the plan, soup and a big salad for dinner. I was careful with the croûtons and the dressing.

I went to the grocery store yesterday and bought some fruit and stuff that is more volumetric friendly. Gotta drop some pounds. It's really starting to affect my back and joints. I dug up my tomato patch over the weekend any my back still twinges a little. We are talking something that measures only 4ft x 6 ft and the dirt is so nice and light from my 14 years of putting tomato plants in the same spot that it doesn't take much to fluff the dirt anymore. It's good, black, Midwest dirt now instead of the Texas gulf coast clay that is suitable only for throwing pots. Anyway, I don't want to be physically impaired only because I'm fat.

Yup, I'm starting to use the f word, no more politically correct words like plump, stout, zaftig, overweight, under tall, etc. I'm fat but I'm gonna be less fat if I stick to it and drop some pounds. I'll never be a size 2, but I'd be happy to just be able to shop in any store I want instead of only the plus size stores. Besides, rumor has it that we'll be hit with a premium surcharge next year at work if our BMI is over a certain point. I don't want to pay that extra amount!

Have a great evening!

teacher1
01-08-2008, 08:52 PM
Hello all-

I saw the elf food commercial :) funny stuff

bobbigene- yum tomatoes :) I love, love, love home grown tomatoes.
What field of work are you in? A fee for a certain BMI, that's tough stuff!

ArtCat
01-09-2008, 10:40 AM
Congratulations, Claire! Boy, if you lost 16 lbs over the holidays, just think what you can do now that the special food pressures are off!

I'm starting to hear more stuff around here, too, about being financially penalized for having a high BMI. Our work hasn't said anything about it yet, so I'm also hoping to bring mine down before the company gets that far. I'm sure at some point all the health insurance companies will jump on that bandwagon- anything to save some money. I think it's only fair if they honestly try to help you lose the weight first, like with discounts on programs or equipment or gyms, something like that. I think they offer smokers discounts on programs.

Well, enough lollygagging around. It's time to get going on with my day. Here's hoping everyone has a great Volumetrics day!

Thanks for the inspiration, Claire!

carolr3639
01-09-2008, 10:56 AM
I usually post in the IE thread but it is really slow right now so looking for a new home. I read this book a long time ago but can't remember what it said except the things that Meowee posted in the first post. I would like to learn how to eat and not THINK about it all the time......just eating healthy and keeping up with exerise. We have a nice elpitical. Lately, I have added more fiber by eating bran buds and it does help in number of ways but gets boring. Any help will be appreciated.

meowee
01-09-2008, 11:55 AM
Hi everybody . . . and welcome aboard Carol . . . :grouphug:

Just another quick little fly-by for me . . . gee, I hope this 'working while retired' garbage is over soon and I can get back to the important things in life . . . like all my buddies around 3FC.

Keep fighting the good fight, gang . . . see you soon . . . :wave:

teacher1
01-09-2008, 06:07 PM
Welcome Carol- I workout on an elliptical :)

It was such a busy day at work. Ahhhh, I want things to slow down. Have a great night everyone!

ArtCat
01-10-2008, 09:02 AM
Hi Carol- I'd recommend finding the book and reading it again, specifically the second one. It gets to the point faster. I found it at the library, so there's plenty of them out there. Then you've got all the right info plus you're fired up. I think you can get away with not counting and calculating if you have a lot of weight to lose, but if you're coming into the home stretch, you need to pay attention. At least, so I've heard. I'm still in the long run part.

Went out for dinner last night with my old college roommates, and I was pretty good. We went to the Olive Garden, and I didn't even have a breadstick, but I did have 2 glasses of wine. The bread wasn't worth it, the wine was.

I have my bi-annual doctor's appt today- I'm curious to see what their scale will say. Unfortunately, it's scheduled for the afternoon, so I'll have to eat beforehand. It should still be better than last time, though.

meowee
01-10-2008, 09:07 AM
things are getting a little better . . . at least I'm getting to say HI two days in a row . . . :lol:

carolr3639
01-10-2008, 10:47 AM
What is the name of the 2nd book?

waterbaby
01-10-2008, 01:53 PM
Hi, all!

Bobbigene, I completely agree about using the f-word. I'm FAT and there's no getting around it. But I try to not let it define me, either. Oh, and tomatoes - yum!! All varieties!

Carol, the book I ordered came out last year and has recipes in it and the word "techniques" in the title. The first one came out in 2000 and I think is called Volumetrics Weight-Loss Plan or something similar.

I got mine on Amazon for $9.00 like-new and that includes shipping.

Funny thing -- today is the first time something strange happened -- I have not sat here, thinking about what or when my next meal happens. Pretty amazing!

All the ladies at my husband's work want to know what I'm doing to lose fat. I told them it was unglamorous, and pretty simple. After giving them an overview, I doubt many will actually try it, which is a shame.

I'll post more later -- hope everyone has a fabulous day! It's 50 degrees and windy/rainy with big old black clouds -- I feel like I'm working in a haunted office -- all that's missing is the ominous organ music in the background and disembodied hands appearing in thin air, muhahaha!!!

Cheers!

bobbigene
01-10-2008, 06:48 PM
Good afternoon everyone! It was foggy this morning and the roads were slick in places but by afternoon it was glorious. We are supposed to be clear with Chamber of Commerce weather all week. The Houston Marathon is this Sunday and the runners are saying the weather should be perfect for running 26+ miles. More power to them!

I hope that I'm doing OK this week with my food intake. I guess I'll find out this weekend when I step on the scale. Hope everyone is doing well. Talk to you later.

meowee
01-10-2008, 07:13 PM
Book 2) The Volumetrics Eating Plan: Techniques and Recipes for Feeling Full on Fewer Calories

Book 1) The Volumetrics Weight-Control Plan: Feel Full on Fewer Calories

teacher1
01-10-2008, 09:01 PM
Hi all,
Well it was a good day even though I slept in and didn't get my exercise in :(

ArtCat
01-11-2008, 09:29 AM
Well, I had a nice surprise at the doctor's yesterday! Apparently my scale weighs 2 lbs heavy, so I just magically lost 2 lbs! That puts me at the door to Onederland! I'm also eating out 3 times this week, so I need to stay in control and not celebrate too much...

carolr3639
01-11-2008, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the info about the books. I'm reading a similar book called Hunger Free Forever.

gailr42
01-11-2008, 01:46 PM
I happen to like the first book best. I, too, got it from Amazon. I got the second book out of the library and read it, too. I certainly don't figure the energy density of everything, but I do think in terms of more water and more fiber and cooked grains in my diet.

I started out not counting anything and lost weight well. I just couldn't face anymore food diaries, journals etc, even though I know that stuff works. Now, I am not loosing and I believe that calorie counting is in order if I want to loose my last 15 lbs.

And, Carol, I am exactly like you. I don't want to have to be obsessed with my diet all the time. I like to cook and eat, but there are times I just want to get on to something else. I think part of the equation is to change your eating habits while loosing weight. Then when you reach goal, you will be used to eating healthy stuff and won't automatically reach for the unhealthy stuff. In theory, anyway.:lol:

I got Everyday Food from the Kitchens of Martha Stewart Living out of the library. It has lots of simple recipes. I made the curried carrot soup and it is really very good, and certainly fits into a Volumetric program.

Curried Carrot Soup

2 tablespoons butter (I used cooking spray and about a tsp olive oil)
1 Cup chopped onion
1 tsp curry powder
Coarse salt and fresh ground pepper
2 cans (14.5 oz each) reduced sodium chicken broth (I used all fat free broth and no water)
2 lbs carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
1-2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 Tbs coarsely chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish (optional)

1. Heat butter in a large (4-5qt) pan over medium heat. Add the onion, curry powder, 2 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft, about 5 minutes.

2. Add the broth, carrots, and 3 cups of water; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat; cover, and simmer until the carrots are tender, about 20 minutes.

3. In a blender, puree the soup in batches - be careful with the hot liquid. I used my immersion blender, which works like a charm for this sort of thing - you do it right in the pan. Transfer soup to a clean saucepan. Add more water to thin to desired consistency ( I didn't add any more water). Reheat, if necessary. Stir in the lemon juice. Serve garnished with the cilantro, if desired. I sprinkled about a tsp of my 50% less fat bacon bits on top, along with the cilantro.

Serves 4 - This recipe makes a lot of soup, so the servings must be big. You get a lot of food for little calories.

Per serving: 185 calories; 6.3 gram fat(using 2 T butter/per recipe); 5.7 gr protein; 28.3 gr carbohydrates; 4.3 gr fiber

We went to Costco and Trader Joe's yesterday. Among other things, I bought 10 lbs of carrots. What was I thinking??? Only eight more pounds to use:D

meowee
01-11-2008, 01:51 PM
:wave:

Oh my busy, busy, busy . . . hopefully this little stint of being drastically overly busy will soon be over.

See you later.

teacher1
01-11-2008, 06:41 PM
Hi all-
I'm so happy the weekend is finally here.

Liz- Congrats on the 2 pounds. How often do you weigh in?

gailr42
01-11-2008, 10:12 PM
Besides the carrot soup, I poached a bunch of chicken breasts, sliced them and froze for future use. I also cooked up a big pot of bulgur and divided it into portions and froze it. I just love to be able to open my freezer, grab a few little containers, and my lunch is ready except for fruit and salad.

Tonight I had grilled scallops, onions and peppers on a bed of bulgur. Fresh asparagus and a big green salad with tomatoes and sprouts. It was good and I feel really full.

meowee
01-12-2008, 09:32 AM
Morning . . . :wave:

You've got me :drool: over your dinner, Gail -- sounds great.

teacher1
01-12-2008, 11:19 AM
Happy Saturday everyone,
I getting some family and exercise time today :) Have a great day!

teacher1
01-13-2008, 09:37 AM
Good morning,
I'm down 3 pounds this week :) I'll get to the store today for tons of yummy healthy foods.

meowee
01-14-2008, 06:48 AM
Hi there, gang . . . :wave:

I had a busy weekend but it was the nice kind of busy if you know what I mean. Hopefully, today should just about wrap up the work-kind of busy and give me more time for chatting.

See you soon.

ArtCat
01-14-2008, 03:57 PM
Congrats on the 3 lbs, teacher! If I'm doing well I weigh in every week. If I'm not, I do it every other week. I try to do whatever will make me feel the best about myself.

I've had a cold all weekend and have felt really lousy the whole time. I figured it might have helped me lose weight, but when I got on the scale, it didn't. Maybe I'm retaining snot!:mad:

teacher1
01-14-2008, 07:04 PM
Liz- feel better

It's was a busy day at school. The weird thing was I wanted to eat all day but some days are just like that for me. It's a constant battle.

meowee
01-15-2008, 08:48 AM
Good Morning, gang . . . :grouphug:

Well, WINTER is back with a vengeance. We have a fresh new layer of white and sparkly all over and, unfortunately, it is still snowing -- sideways -- because the wind is howling madly out there. I'm just glad that I don't have to go anywhere today.

The good news is that I have finally finished (almost) with the work-stuff and can get back to some of the more important junk in my life. :yes:

Keep doing the good stuff just as much as you can everybody and I'll be back to chat really soon . . . :wave:

gailr42
01-15-2008, 05:09 PM
Hey!

teacher1
01-15-2008, 07:01 PM
Hi all,
The kiddos were naughty today. Ahhh, hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.

gailr42
01-15-2008, 07:32 PM
Hate it when that happens. Hate it even more when the parents think it is the teacher's/school's fault that their kid is naughty. Seems like I remember you teach special ed, which is a little different, but still, the parents need to take some responsibility for their kid's behavior. [/rant]

teacher1
01-16-2008, 07:39 PM
I hear that Gail :) The kiddos were much better today. I did exercise today but still a little out of control with the food. But I seem to be out of my funky mood.

meowee
01-17-2008, 09:47 AM
Oh wow . . . it has finally stopped snowing after two days and (I think) my power supply has finally decided to stabalize again after two days . . . other than that nothing very exciting around here . . . have a great day, gang, and hopefully I'll see you again really soon . . . :wave:

waterbaby
01-17-2008, 01:02 PM
Hi, all!

Lost another four pounds last week! WOO!

We had over an inch of snow in Tennessee last night. I live southwest of Nashville and it gave us a nice, pretty covering, although it has melted off today.

Gail, I tried your soup recipe and it was absolutely delish! I had been wondering what to do with a bag of carrots I bought as an unexpected duplicate, and the soup recipe took care of that. :)

I will post more frequently. Work has been crazy busy with end of year statistics to be compiled, but I'm through the worst of it. WHEW!

Cheers!

teacher1
01-17-2008, 07:56 PM
Claire- great job on your weight loss!

Have a great night everyone.

gailr42
01-17-2008, 09:49 PM
Glad you liked the carrot soup, waterbaby. I never would have thought to make soup out of carrots. My next project is to make roasted winter vegetables.

Pretty cool here today. Probably a high of 50°F. We are due for some warm days now.

waterbaby
01-18-2008, 08:16 AM
Welcome to Friday!

I have hazelnut coffee already made, and the tea kettle is whistling, so help yourselves, pull up a chair, and just take a load off. After all, it's almost the weekend, right?

teacher1, your schnauzer is adorable! Which "size" is it? A friend of mine usually gets the smaller one, but when her last one passed over, she opted for a standard size and likes her just as well!

Gail, your avatar kitties look like they have Himalayan markings. Are they a particular breed? I also notice that your location is "mojave desert." I know it well, particularly around Baker, Victorville and toward Visalia, where we have family. I have drunk many pots of coffee in the wee hours at Denny's in Baker. We make the trek from Las Vegas (more family) to Visalia on a regular basis.

Well, it's 27 degrees here with a predicted high of 43, so it's livable. Hope everyone has a warm, relaxed day. Will check in later. :)

ArtCat
01-18-2008, 03:28 PM
We're expecting a cold and snowy weekend here, and then it's going to go visit Meowee, so winter's back!

Yesterday I was running through Costco, looking for an easy dinner, and I found a frozen dinner with pasta, turkey and spinach that had an ED of 1.3. I thought that was pretty good for pre-made stuff, and when I got home I took a bigger casserole dish, grated up a carrot, threw in my fresh spinach which was getting old and then put the frozen casserole on top of it. I covered it and baked it as the directions said, stirred it all together, and it wasn't too bad, and it was really easy. I'm sure the sauce that was with it was bad, but I figured if I stirred in enough extra veggies, maybe it'd come out alright. I probably should have stirred in more veggies, but wasn't sure how it'd turn out, so I'll do that next time (yes, it was a 2-pack. Everything at Costco is at least a 2-pack)

Congratulations Claire! What all are you doing to be getting these huge weight losses? I'm jealous!

Hope everyone has a nice weekend!

teacher1
01-18-2008, 07:25 PM
Claire- My family dog is a miniature schnauzer.

Oh, I'm so glad the 3 day weekend is here. Everyone try to stay warm.

meowee
01-19-2008, 10:33 AM
Hi . . . :grouphug:

Well, I'm back for what seems to be my 'every other day' visit. We are having another 'lull between the storms' day. It is beautiful -- sunny; calm; relatively mild (right around the freezing mark). Tomorrow the prediction is for snow again but with relatively calm winds (I hope, I hope). It's the nasty high winds that keep knocking out the electrical supply and I'm getting extremely tired of it. :mad: Not to mention that it gets much too cold in the house. Even the felines are giving me dirty looks about the cold. Next time (oh I hope there is NO next time) maybe I should stick them outside for a few minutes so they can discover what cold really is. :lol:

Well I'd better get things moving . . . need to get out and refresh my canned goods supply just in case we do have more power outages coming . . . hope you all have a great day doing great stuff and I hope to see you tomorrow. :carrot:

teacher1
01-19-2008, 03:06 PM
Linda- stay warm

Everyone have a great weekend.

gailr42
01-19-2008, 11:00 PM
I made the roasted veggies last night and they were good. I am going to make the soup tomorrow.

It is pretty nice having all the chicken broth that comes as a by-product, so to speak, of poaching so much chicken breast. I can always conjure up a soup with it.

Against my better judgement, we bought some meat from one of those outfits that sells steak for outrageous prices. We tried it right away and it was yucky. I had to contact the fast talking salesman, who was drunk when I called, and tell him I wanted my money back. I think we will get our money back, but the whole thing was very stressful. As a result, I went on a peanut butter binge. Pure and simple cause and effect. It isn't usually that obvious to me :lol:.

I am certainly not loosing any weight. I just hope I haven't gained. I am a little afraid to weigh myself. If I can maintain for a while, I will be very happy. I haven't done a darned thing as far as exercise goes. My thinking is that I will concentrate on the exercise aspect of my life style change, this year. I better get started if I'm gonna.

Well, Waterbaby, you can't avoid the Mojave desert on that trip. We live on the way to Death Valley. If you took that route from Las Vegas, you would go right by our road on your way to Trona. My DH is from Porteville, so I am familiar with the central valley. Hot and Sticky in the summertime.

The cats are just mutts with semi-mese markings. We don't have the one on the left anymore. Something got him a couple of months ago. We sure miss him. The little one on the right has a bob-tail. She was born that way.

teacher1
01-20-2008, 10:08 AM
Hi,
It's my weigh in day and I'm still at 171. I thought this might happen since it was such a rough last week. But I'm back on track with writing all my food down and exercising.

meowee
01-20-2008, 10:44 AM
Amazing . . . it's been snowing steadily all morning and no power problems . . . yippee. Maybe the really nasty storms are over for awhile. I hope so anyway.

nikitia
01-21-2008, 12:08 AM
Boy am I glad I found this thread. I'd read some of your older posts, but they were all marked "Closed." I was afraid that this group had ceased to be. I was really happy when I saw a new thread had been started for 2008.

By the way, my name is Lynn and I live in Vermont. My true love and I have 4 kids between the two of us, with two kids still living at home. I work full time and serve on the boards of a couple of community organizations. I have very little time, so the simplicity of Volumetrics appeals to me.

I heard about the Volumetrics plan from an article in Shape magazine. Then when I looked at Consumer Reports website and found they had named it the #1 diet plan, I decided I had to try it. I'm hoping to get my family involved too. My sweetheart has fallen prey to that middle age bulge so many men get and my son is starting to look a bit pudgy too. I did make the South of the Border Chicken Stew recipe from the second book (it's the only one I have) and they all loved it. I tried the simple pancake recipe (1/2c. each of oatmeal, egg whites and lowfat cottage cheese) this morning and it was also great.

I'm looking forward to being part of this group. I think it's a great way to get support.

Can anyone tell me how I get one of those progress bars for my postings?

Take care,
Lynn::carrot:

bobbigene
01-21-2008, 07:35 AM
Good morning to everyone. I've not lost a pound in all of 3 weeks! So frustrating. Yesterday didn't help. I was over at a friend's house for the Giants/Packers game (I couldn't care less, don't like football, but never turn down a party) and ate all of the wrong things. Today I'm sticking to soup and veggies. May get out the exercise tapes too since I don't have to go to work. We have today off as a holiday.

teacher1
01-21-2008, 09:52 AM
Lynn- Welcome, you can find instructions to make a ticker in the announcements and forum help area, them look for a thread to make a ticker.

Bobbijean- I feel your pain this week I didn't lose any weight this week :(

Everyone enjoy the holiday :)

meowee
01-21-2008, 09:52 AM
Good Morning . . . :grouphug:

No power failures overnight although the wind did pick-up (a lot). Today is another one of those beautiful and sunny ones, but boy oh boy, is it ever cold (-31C/-24F) at least that will keep the next snow episode at bay.

Hang in there BOBBIGENE . . . the FairyFatMother will get to your house again soon if you just keep doing the good stuff as much as you possibly can. :yes:

Hi there LYNN . . . :welcome: to the group and :wel3fc: too.

We are so glad to have you joining us. Afraid you will have to wait a little while before you can put up a special weight ticker in your signature. We've been having a rash of trolls who have been sticking very inappropriate stuff in their signature areas and consequently all newbies are disallowed from making a siggie until they've been around for either 30 days or have had 30 posts. Just another case of a few bad apples ruining stuff for everybody. :shrug: Once you get over the magic number threshold, you'll find instructions on adding a signature under the User CP tab on the purple line at the top of every forum. If you still have problems, I'll be here to help you through it, Chickie.

BTW, glad you liked the protein pancakes . . . they are one of my favourite things :love: and I just finished having them for my own brekkie. Have to admit that I eat them almost every other day. :o

Hi to you too, TEACHER . . . :wave: . . . you snuck in while I was typing.

Well gang, got to get myself moving and shaking and out to take advantage of the glorious sunshine. See you all soon . . . :carrot:

meowee
01-22-2008, 11:26 AM
Hi gang . . . where is everybody hiding?

We are having :sunny: for the second day in a row -- wow -- and it is about 15 degrees warmer than yesterday, too -- double wow! The forecast is calling for 3 to 4 inches of new snow starting later on this afternoon, though. Oh well, can't win 'em all, I guess.

Have a great moving and shaking day . . . :carrot:

nikitia
01-22-2008, 01:21 PM
Hi All,

Well, I did pretty well yesterday -- protein pancakes for b'fast; cauliflower curry soup & a pita pizza w/lots of veggies for lunch; and chicken parmesean and veggie stuffed mac & cheese for dinner. Seems like I'm getting an awful lot to eat though. Also, the poultry and fish recipes are somewhat limited (a few and not all to my taste) in the second book. Anyone know a good source for recipes that fit this diet?

My family loved the chicken & the mac & cheese. The cauliflower soup was watery & bland, so not such a big hit.

Take care,
Lynn

teacher1
01-22-2008, 08:27 PM
Lynn- I'm not much help for recipes but Gail is always cooking things that sound yummy.

It was a good day at school. The kids were great even with this cold weather.

ArtCat
01-23-2008, 10:11 AM
We're looking at another day of snow, so at least I'm getting my exercise in by shoveling!

I agree with Teacher- Gail is the one to go to for recipes. I usually just take any low fat/lean protein recipe and add lots of veggies to it. If it involves pasta, I use wheat, and I limit the amount of starches overall in it, too. But mostly I just add lots of veggies.:carrot:

meowee
01-23-2008, 10:19 AM
Another vote from me for GAIL as our recipe guru. I'm also of the school that turns everything into a real veggie extravaganza and stays away from too many starches and fats. You can turn almost anything into a Volumetrics-friendly dish that way. Keep the ED of the individual components of the meal around the 1.0 to 2.0 mark and you cannot go too far wrong.

Nothing too new around here -- the sun is shining a little more sporadically today but at least it is trying. Temperatures are around the freezing mark or a little below and that's pretty much seasonal for this time of year. We got aanother few inches of snow overnight, but the good news is that we are supposed to stay snowless and with the same temps and semi-sunny conditions from now through the weekend.

Hope the weather is being pretty good to the rest of you . . . keep things moving and shaking, gang, and I'll see you later . . . :wave:

catmalvo
01-23-2008, 02:55 PM
I am so glad for you. 16 lbs is a big loss. Reading your post inspired me (I was getting a bit discouraged).

"Elf" food is not for me.

Keep up the good work!
Cat'

Hello, all!

Well, I had my big weigh-in today and I have lost 16 pounds over the holidays. I had lost 5 pounds thanksgiving week and hadn't weighed in since then.

I credit much of this success with the few changes (baby steps) I made recently, including eating foods with a higher water content before my "main course" -- must admit, my jaw hit the floor when they told me how much I'd lost!!

As for my furries, we have a brother and sister -- Rusty is our (neutered) male, kind of a pinky-tan tabby, big old lover.

His sister is BooBoo -- she has been spayed and is extremely shy with everyone but my husband and I. She will tolerate you if you come to our house often enough -- has a very sweet disposition. She is tortoise shell with a white bib and tummy and has a ginger mustache and goatee!

We got them from a lady who loves kitties (hers live in a nice clean barn) and they are half Persian and half Norwegian Forest Cat. They have the Forest Cat face and size and coat, with the LONG Persian guard hairs and wide, tufted paws.

I have always had cats, with the occasional dog/fish/bird thrown in the mix...

Also enjoying getting to know people here. The plan isn't glamorous or in-your-face, but it's working!

Anyone see the commercial where the couple is in the fancy restaurant and he refers to their portions as "elf food?" How many diets have we been on where we ate "elf food" and wondered why we didn't lose much weight after the first couple of weeks?

This plan is awesome because I get to eat good stuff, and eat enough so I'm satisfied.

Thanks in advance for any advice or tips. :D

teacher1
01-23-2008, 06:03 PM
Hello all,
I'm off to dinner with friends tonight. I love exercising before work because I still have energy after work :)

meowee
01-24-2008, 09:02 AM
Hi . . . :wave:

I like to exercise first thing in the morning because then it is 'done' and not still looming over me all day long. :lol: Started this morning with a few minutes on the Gazelle, but since this is my normal "shop 'til you drop" afternoon with my buddy LouLou, mall-crawling will be the major portion of my exercising for today.

Other than that . . . SSDD around here. Unfortunately the long-range weather forecast has gotten a little changed -- we are still supposed to be getting partly sunny all the way through the weekend, but the temperature is heading back down to those awful -30C (-20F) readings that we had at the beginning of the week :brr:

Have a great day, gang -- try to keep things moving and shaking just as much as you can. See you later . . . :carrot:

ArtCat
01-24-2008, 10:05 AM
I made a great chicken soup last night. I used a recipe for Mexican Chicken Soup, but got way off track following it (I usually do) It had pretty basic stuff like onion, celery, garlic, cumin etc. I omitted chilis (don't like spicy), added carrots and beans, but at the end they have you add lime juice. The lime juice made all the difference- the soup had incredible flavor!

Last night someone surprised us and snowblowed our driveway! We don't know who- what nice neighbors! I lost out on the shoveling exercise, but from what I've heard, I'll have plenty of chances in the week to come.

danasgirl
01-24-2008, 10:36 AM
Hello all. I am not a brand new member. I have been posting on Sugar Busters. I did pretty well on the diet, a co uple of years ago but I have gained it all back and then some. I tried to start it back this year but I didnt make it. I don't think I can do something where I am omitting a certain thing. It only makes me want it more. When I do get the opportunity to eat it, I don't know when to say when. I was doing the Dr. Shapiro's Picture Perfect weight loss. I stopped because he was more focused on a vegetarian lifestyle. I am not a huge meat fan, but I do enjoy an occasional grilled chicken sandwich. And a veggie hotdog is not the same as a real one! I stumbled on to Volumetrics, which to me, is almost the same. What I like the most is the fact that you can factor in lean meats. I am still trying to learn how to determine the energy density of food. Like, I like the triscuits fire roasted tomato and basil crackers. They have 28 gms per serving. I think a serving has 126 calories. I got 0.22. Does that mean I can enjoy that freely? As I was reading the book, crackers were put in the limit category. Thanks in advance for your help.

ArtCat
01-24-2008, 01:22 PM
Hi danasgirl, and welcome! You got me excited there for a moment, but then I thought it through, and the formula is calories divided by grams, so the ED for your crackers is 4.5, which is pretty bad. But that just means that you need to control yourself and just have a few. They say that we get the most enjoyment from the first few bites of something anyways, and that we continue eating it just out of habit.

I like this diet because you really don't have to entirely omit something, you just need to be aware of where everything falls on the ED scale and eat it accordingly. I've also focused on adding things to what I eat everyday, like making sure I have a yogurt, and making sure I have a fresh fruit, etc. I'm so busy adding in the good stuff that I don't have as much room for the bad stuff. You still get a craving for it, but since you're full, just a taste seems to be enough.

I hope this diet works for you- the yo-yo weight stuff is really discouraging and bad for you. I'm hoping that this time it's my answer, too, since I need to get a grip on my health issues before I get much older.

catmalvo
01-24-2008, 04:56 PM
Hi everyone. I have been posting but never introduced myself. Sorry.:(

I am Catherine everyone calls me Cat' and I live in the NE corner of Pennsylvania with my husband, two daughters, one crazy dog, 6 doves and a rabbit (my husband is a magician). I see we have a lot of cat lovers! I have my heart set on a himalayan, but alas my pockets are bare. I found a beauty with a price tag of $850.00. I love animals but with so many orphans and unwanteds, I would feel guilty.

Anyway, after a few weeks of research I decided volumetrics may be the diet for me. i have tried WW twice and only lost 6 lbs both times. South Beach worked great, I lost 28 lbs; however, gained that plus more when I stopped. I really have no will power, but I am so uncomfortable in my own skin that I need to do this. I am determined!

Thanks for all the great incite I have been reading.

Cat'

meowee
01-24-2008, 06:01 PM
Hi there DANA . . . :welcome: aboard the volumetrics train . . . hope you like it here. Volumetrics is a great principle and really can work in with just about any other plan that you might like. LIZ is right, those crackers are 4.5 on the ED scale :( Think you did the equation backward, maybe.

I agree CAT . . . especially after my not too great experiences with my foray into pedigreed cats (although I love my two remaining Bengals dearly), I don't think I'll opt for anything but rescue kitties from now on. Do the birds and the bunnies have the run of the house? Although dogs and cats can become great friends, I'm not too sure that the average cat would be able to restrain itself when faced with it's normal 'prey' animals in the same household. :yikes:

teacher1
01-24-2008, 06:12 PM
Hi all,
Well a rough day at work. I'm glad the weekend is around the corner.

catmalvo
01-24-2008, 06:20 PM
Meowee, sorry to hear about your Bengals, I just read about your heartbreak in the previous forum. They are beautiful Cats, my husband likes Bengals and Ocicats. Our birds are caged and the bunny is on the deck also caged. We have many wild animals around us bear, fox, etc. So we keep a tight ship on the animals. The dog has a stray friend that hangs around _ I try to keep him social he is a lab and rottie mix... a big goof ball. My daughter (16) decided she wants a tea cup yorkie. I told her it's her money... but...(there is always a but)... she needs to research them. I don't think she understands how delicate they are. I offered to take her to the pound so maybe she will fall in love with a kitty instead...yeah! I like the Himalayns because of their temperment. they are not stand-offish. More like a lap dog.... i have researched :) do you know of any other breeds that may be like that?

catmalvo
01-24-2008, 06:31 PM
Hi teacher!
I am a para in PA. right now i am working on my BA in Math education 3/4 done yea! Where do you teach and which subjects? I'm hoping for a two hour delay tomorrow so I can have another three day weekend... oh I am bad.

Cat'

meowee
01-24-2008, 06:34 PM
Definitely NOT the Bengals -- they are rather different to say the least -- beautiful but pretty aloof (although poor little Freckle was a good cuddler when he felt like it).

My Burmese -- Jazz, the diabetic that just passed away in December -- was a very easy going cat. They are noted for being pretty friendly and a little dog-like in attitude.

Having had a bit of everything over the years, the only real advice I can give you . . . don't rule out older kitties because they are usually well socialized and have settled down a little in their ways and their individual personalities are established . . . and, for some reason (think it's the same with most dogs as well), the males are much, much cuddlier than the females usually regardless of breed.

My friend LouLou has 7 small dogs -- 4 Chihuahuas; 2 Yorkies; 1 toy Poodle -- and although they are all pretty well socialized, I have to admit that they are all delicate enough to scare me a little (and they are yappy). In all honesty, since your DD is used to a large and pretty robust type of dog, I really don't think she'd manage a Yorkie too well after the newness of a dog you can carry around with you wore off. But . . . have to admit to being a big dog lover myself -- had German Shepherds and Great Danes in the course of my dog-period.

gailr42
01-24-2008, 06:39 PM
The best cat I ever had was a "Tuxedo" rescue. Got him fully grown and neutered from the shelter. Named him Tux not knowing that in general, black and white cats are called "tuxedo cats", according to Cat Fancy Magazine. I thought I was so clever. He was the most outgoing cat I have ever known. He got a serious form of skin cancer and I had to have him put down before he was ten years old.

I made the soup from the left-over roasted veggies. It is very good and the addition of the chicken broth makes the veggies more volumetric.

I have been off work since last Wed. I go back on Mon. I love having the time off, but I don't eat as well. When I am working, I take a healthy lunch bag full of goodies and eat all day. When I am home, I tend to just grab something. I don't always make the best choices. Planning is definitely a good thing.

My DH is going to physical therapy for his knee. I have been doing the exercises with him, because my knees aren't to good, either. I managed to hurt my foot doing the knee exercises. I was sort of goofing around, and stepped down wrong. I could hardly walk last night, but it is better today.

meowee
01-24-2008, 06:47 PM
Hi GAIL . . . sorry to admit that I had a :lol: at your expense when I read your line about hurting your foot doing the knee exercises. Please forgive me and know that I'm glad to hear it is feeling better again.

LouLou has a Tuxedo cat (well still a kitten) and he is a doll (although having been raised in her house, he tends to think he's a dog. My SIL in Ontario has a great big hairy Tuxedo that is also a great cat (although he tends to be turning into a brown and white cat as he gets older. :shrug: Think it's his version of going grey because he is now 14.)

gailr42
01-25-2008, 12:30 AM
Yeah, I see the humor in it!:lol: It is much better now.

I had stir-fry again tonight because I had to use up the stuff. It was yummy. Trouble is, DH whipped up an Angelfood cake after dinner and I helped him eat quite a bit of it. The package says 1/12th of a cake has 140 calories. I, ahem, ate quite a bit more than 1/12th of the cake.

danasgirl
01-25-2008, 08:54 AM
Okay, so I had it all wrong. It is calories over grams. Got it. I am going to have to stock my fridge with new things, since I had my equations wrong. I have to admit to all of the cat lovers that I am a dog person. But I do love that cat on the fancy feast commercial. If I ever decided to do a cat, that would be the kind.

ArtCat
01-25-2008, 10:48 AM
Don't feel left out, danasgirl- I think most of the cat lovers are just animal lovers in general. I had a great dog that died in May of last year, my daughter had bunnies for a while that were smart and loving, and now I have 2 crazy cats, although through my life I've had 5 before these two.

I'm very interested in getting a BIG cat- I'm thinking about a Maine Coon mix. Does anyone know anything about those? From what I've read, they're a great cat, and there's a Maine Coon rescue shelter not too far from here.

I tried roasting cabbage wedges last night, but they didn't turn out too well. At least I can just cut them up and throw them in the leftover soup!

waterbaby
01-25-2008, 12:59 PM
I'm very interested in getting a BIG cat- I'm thinking about a Maine Coon mix. Does anyone know anything about those? From what I've read, they're a great cat, and there's a Maine Coon rescue shelter not too far from here.

I had a Maine Coon named Alice and we had a great bond. She actually came when you called her. Maine Coons are very outdoorsy, and they grow the first five years of their lives. Alice adopted me - she had no sense of direction and wandered away from her original owners. She was very hungry when we found each other and after a few square meals she filled out and grew to her normal size.

She was very affectionate in her own way and I find this to be true from other Maine Coon owners. She would wallow all over me sometimes and other times she was content just to sit next to me and doze.

She also talked a good bit and, true to her breed, was a climber and jumper. I made sure to have things she could climb safely and she loved the feather toy with the stiffer feathers (where the feathers make kind of a whistling noise as you move them) and would jump and play as long as I would wiggle the feather toy.

So there are several paragraphs about Maine Coons. Norwegian Forest Cats are similar in size and temperament, but I think you might like a Maine Coon, and hooray for getting one from a rescue.

meowee
01-25-2008, 05:06 PM
Hi gang . . . :wave:

Sorry I'm so late getting here today . . . my buddy LouLou had to go to the hospital for some tests fairly early this morning and somehow it just turned into an all day outing. At least it took her mind off the reason for the tests -- lumps in both breasts and a discharge from the right one. Hope she doesn't have to wait too long for results whether good or bad (and, of course, we sure are hoping for good), the waiting is always the worst part for some reason. At least it was a beautiful and sunny day, but it was really, really cold.

I think Maine Coons are gorgeous cats although I've never had one. there is one that I bump into once in a while at the vets and boy is he BIG -- a good 23 pounder -- makes my largest (Mouse) who is a hairy 15 pounds look like a tiny kitten. :lol:

I'm planning a bit of a stir-fry for dinner tonight -- mostly cabbage slaw and a bunch of other veggies, with shrimp thrown in.

Well, better get around to a few other 3FC places before dinner. See you tomorrow, gang . . . keep things moving and shaking in the great downward direction. :carrot:

teacher1
01-25-2008, 06:32 PM
Cat- I teach special ed k-2.

TGIF :)

gailr42
01-26-2008, 12:36 AM
I used to house and cat sit for a lady who raised Maine Coon cats. I thought they were great cats - friendly and good natured. They do have a lot of fur!

My salad tonight - half a d'anjou pear, baby lettuces, raspberry vinaigrette and 65 calories worth of Gorgonzola. Swoon.

I haven't lost any weight in maybe two months. I am not on a plateau. I am just eating too much too loose. I am very happy that I have not gained. Usually when I slack off on a diet, I go hog wild and gain it all back in some record amount of time. I continue to eat very healthy stuff, make my salads and veggie dishes etc. I think as long as I don't stray from the good eating habits, I will be fine.

meowee
01-26-2008, 08:37 AM

Another :sunny: and :brr: day. In other words SSDD.

teacher1
01-26-2008, 10:20 AM
Hello all,
The scale read 169 today so I updated my ticker. Have a great day everyone.

bobbigene
01-26-2008, 10:34 AM
:D Stepped on the scale this morning and it had finally moved! After 3 weeks I finally lost 1 pound. I was starting to think there was something wrong with the scale. I even stepped on it holding both cats and decided that it wasn't the scale (combined the cats weigh 25 pounds BTW).

Grocery shopping tomorrow will be lots of veggies and the like. Nice to be back on track.

gailr42
01-26-2008, 11:45 AM
:lol:I love it - using the cats for weights. Some days, that's about all they are good for. That and lookin' good - like Mitt Romney.

I have had cats all my life. When we moved to this place four years ago, we got a German Shepherd Dog with the house. She had puppies, we kept one and we now have dogs in our life. Angel, the German Shep., has spent her entire life outside and doesn't want to come in the house. Her daughter stays outside with her. I never had a pet that didn't come in the house before, but they seem quite happy with their couch on the back porch.

meowee
01-26-2008, 02:46 PM
Oh wow . . . move here . . . our cold temps would get them in the house, really quickly. :yes:

teacher1
01-27-2008, 09:48 AM
Hello all,
A restful day planned with exercise and a trip to the store for lots of healthy food.

gailr42
01-27-2008, 03:17 PM
I love pears with gorgonzola, but they are a bit pricey, calorie-wise. Last night, I sliced my remaining d'anjou pear and sprinkled very coarsely ground pepper on it. What a nice combination! Somehow, the pepper adds a bit of the unexpected and it becomes a rather sophisticated appetizer. I think maybe next time, I wil put a few raspberries on the plate with the peppered pear. :lol:

I made this recipe today:

I started with a recipe on the back of the barley package and modified it to my taste.

Barley/Lentil Soup

1 Cup chopped onion
1 Cup chopped Celery
1 clove garlic (or to taste) minced
1 tsp oil
2 14.5 oz cans Muir Glen diced tomatoes
3/4 Cup lentils sorted and rinsed
3/4 Cup barley
6 Cups reduced sodium chicken broth
1 Sprig fresh rosemary
1/2 tsp Oregano
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tsp (or to taste - remember the broth and tomatoes both contain salt already) salt
2 Cups thinly sliced carrots

In a large soup pot, sweat onions, celery and garlic to soften in oil. Add broth, tomatoes, lentils, barley, carrots and seasonings. Cook about 40 minutes until grains and carrots are tender. If you want this more "soupy" add more broth.

This stuff is really pretty tasty! Serve with dark bread and salad for a comforting meal. You could add sausage, ham, bits of left-over meat - whatever appeals for a heartier meal. I also think it would be good with spinach or chard added.

I also cooked a bunch of brussels sprouts. Steamed lightly, sprayed with pam and browned in a skillet with a few shallot rings. They are so good!!!

I have a bunch of country style spareribs. I am going to cut them up, trim all fat and make up a stew sort of thing. This will be mostly for DH, because I know they have lots of fat no matter how well I trim.

meowee
01-27-2008, 05:45 PM

Had company for lunch and they just left . . . :mad: . . . I had meant to go out this afternoon and now it's too late to even hit the grocery store.

See you tomorrow.

meowee
01-28-2008, 10:50 AM
Oh wow . . . I hate it when they get the weather forecast right . . . only seems to happen when the prediction is for bad stuff. We've been having a little of everything -- snow first thing; now freezing rain; plain rain for later (guess that will be a treat compared to this).

Hope everybody else is having a decent day . . . :wave:

nikitia
01-28-2008, 05:58 PM
Hi All,

My scale moved a little last week -- 2 lbs. However, that could be because I got sick and couldn't eat for two days. I'm trying to eat mainly veggies and protein these days, but sometimes I think I'm eating too much and other times too little!! Who knows!

Gail, did you post your recipe for roasted veggies? I love them, but haven't found a good recipe yet. Your lentil barley soup looks yummy. I will have to try it this weekend for my kids -- they love lentil soup.

I have a part Siamese, part tabby cat. She's black and talks alot, especially now that she's 17 and mostly deaf. Lately she's started YOWLING at the top of her lungs when she doesn't know where we are. She sounds like a duck!! It's funny. Everyone rushes up to reassure her that we are around.

Take care all,
Lynn

gailr42
01-28-2008, 06:22 PM
I used Ina Garten's roasted winter vegetable recipe, but cut down on the olive oil. Just sprayed the veggies with pam.

meowee
01-29-2008, 11:16 AM
It's another day . . . both the weather and my accompanying migraine are a little better; but still not great -- hopefully tomorrow will see a further improvement.

teacher1
01-29-2008, 06:17 PM
Oh Linda, Feel better

It was an okay day at school. It's hard with the cold weather to not eat so heavy. I'm really craving pizza!!! But I'm off to make a big salad.

meowee
01-30-2008, 11:39 AM
I binged yesterday :mad: and it didn't even help the headache. Today I had to go out at 8:30 and everything had iced up overnight again -- wow was I ever glad I had my Yak-Trax. Tomorrow we re supposed to get a very mild and sunny day -- hopefully that will melt and dry stuff up before the temperature drops again overnight.

ArtCat
01-30-2008, 04:11 PM
I got my exercise again today by shoveling snow. I shouldn't complain- at least it forces me to get moving!

I just started on the Beck Diet solution- have any of you used it? I usually get a good start with a diet, and then lose steam. This time I'm hoping not to lose steam, since Volumetrics is a diet that makes such sense. I just need help sticking to it.

teacher1
01-30-2008, 07:31 PM
Linda- feel better

Liz- Never heard of the Beck''s solution but good luck

teacher1
01-31-2008, 11:22 AM
Yeah, snow day :) NO SCHOOL!!!!!

meowee
02-01-2008, 10:26 AM
Hi gang . . . :wave:

Been extremely busy and today looks like a continuation of the same -- also looks like a weather continuation too -- cold, but :sunny: -- hope to have more time to chat after that. :yes:

ArtCat
02-01-2008, 10:30 AM
Snow day here, too, so I already have my exercise planned!
Meowee- I think all this weather is headed your way!

meowee
02-01-2008, 10:32 AM
Yep . . . the forecast is for bunches of snow tonight and then changing to the good old freezing rain and finally plain rain for most of tomorrow . . . :yikes:, I am so sick and tired of this stuff.

gailr42
02-01-2008, 05:56 PM
No snow here! The geese that stop here on their way to and from Canada are here now. That means it is almost spring - well...sort of.

I have been eating all sorts of bad stuff. The other day they had a pot luck at work. I had dicided to eat only one small piece of cheese cake. Well, the cheese cake was all gone when I got here, so I ate a half a pound of plain old cheese. It was good, but for pete's sake! Then someone left a tray of Keebler's chocolate chip cookies out in the lobby. I had three yesterday and three today. It is like I have lost my focus just a bit. I usually don't have a problem resisting store bought cookies. Cheese is definitely a trigger food for me. I don't buy it except in very small ammounts which I keep in a plastic container in the freezer. I mostly use it for salads.

I made myself a huge batch of vegetable soup and froze it a while back. somehow, it has gotten lost in the freezer. I don't see how that could be, but I sure can't find it. I doubt anyone came along and stole it.:lol:

teacher1
02-01-2008, 07:02 PM
Hi everyone,
Have a great weekend :)

meowee
02-02-2008, 08:07 AM
Oh :yikes: . . . having an ice storm and the lights are flickering periodically. Just wanted to drop in for a quick :wave: while I've got the chance.

teacher1
02-02-2008, 10:38 PM
Linda- I hope everything calms down up there.

I have been eating way too much bad food. I'm going to have a fresh start on Monday.

Anyone have fun plans for the Super Bowl? I'm not much for football but I love the yummy food and fun commercials:)

gailr42
02-02-2008, 11:07 PM
For sure, I am going to watch the commercials! I think I will make myself some low cal/fat hummus with toasted pita chips. Or I might make some little pizzas. I already cut up some carrots and celery. My DH has lain in a supply of chips, crackers and summer sausage. All of which I enjoy, but can resist fairly easily.

I watched Ina Garten cook today. She started out with a chocolate cake with chocolate butter cream frosting. She chopped up a one lb. bar of chocolate. The chopped chocolate looked like a huge iguana on her counter top. Ya know, the way it comes apart in little chips? They looked like scales. There's one iguana I wouldn't mind eating.:lol:

I also got two of her cookbooks out of the library. Although she uses lots of butter, cream etc., there are many recipes that, with just a little alteration, would work fine for those of us who are trying to eat thoughtfully (really trying to avoid the "D").

bobbigene
02-03-2008, 12:26 PM
Good Sunday morning all. I have been reading the posts even tho I haven't entered anything. Only lost 1/4 pound this week so can't change the ticker. I'm hoping for better this next week. Not going to any Super Bowl parties so at least I won't have to deal with temptations of chips, dip, sausage, pizza, etc!

meowee
02-04-2008, 06:00 AM
Oh my . . . yesterday was a busy, busy day . . . hardly spent any time at home and my calories reflected two meals eaten in restaurants. :mad: I can manage one; but never two; for some reason.

Hopefully today will be a lot calmer and I'll actually get my act back together (in a lot of ways -- really need to get some laundry done :lol:)

Have a great one, gang -- see you later -- :wave:

ArtCat
02-04-2008, 12:51 PM
Sounds like my weekend went like everyone else's- I didn't do very well. I weighed myself today and it stayed the same, but I'm always afraid that what I ate recently hasn't had time to turn into bad fat yet, and that I'll still pay for it in a day or two. Is that actually true, or is it just my imagination?

I did notice, though, that I seems to weigh different amounts depending on where I stand on my scale. That doesn't seem right, so I'm making sure I stand in the same place every time. My scale has a dial- what do you guys use, and would a digital be more reliable? The brand I have is Health-o-meter, and it's a little old.

We have a couple more inches of snow again, so I'll get my exercise in!

Here's hoping this week brings a fresh start, and that everyone gets back on track!

meowee
02-04-2008, 03:46 PM
I think your best bet is to ensure that you stand in the same spot. I hve a digital and it varies depending on how you blink your eyes. :lol: Bottom line -- the number doesn't matter, nor does the day to day direction as long as ovr the course of time (week, month) the direction is downward.

gailr42
02-04-2008, 04:33 PM
I continue to have my ups and downs with eating. My DH made "Rice Crispie Treats" yesterday, and, of course, I had to eat some.

I made a big pot of Tuscan Bean soup and a vat of turkey spaghetti sauce. As usual, froze in individual servings. Also made a recipe of "light" hummus. so...I have good things to eat, if I can just stay away from DH's little projects!:lol:

teacher1
02-04-2008, 10:14 PM
Hi everyone,
This is a busy week. I need to get back to my exercise routine.

meowee
02-05-2008, 02:29 PM

teacher1
02-05-2008, 06:32 PM
Hi everyone,
This week keeps getting busier. I want the weekend to get here fast!

gailr42
02-05-2008, 06:48 PM
I had a nice lunch today. Carrot soup. Spinach salad with fresh orange segments, pumpkin seeds and chopped scallion, topped with ff sesame ginger soy dressing. Turkey meatloaf sandwich on whole grain bread with spinach leaves and wasabi/mayo spread. I still have an apple to eat.

Later: I didn't mention how starving I was before lunch. I went to the bank and when I got done, I had to eat part of my lunch in the parking lot. Well, when I got home from work last night, there was my oatmeal sitting in the microwave. I had forgotten to eat it, or anything else yesterday am. Talk about absent minded:lol:. The oatmeal had congealed into something like jello.

ArtCat
02-06-2008, 02:52 PM
It all sounds familiar, Gail. My DH found my soup in the microwave when he got home from work the other day, although I ate something different instead for lunch. I just plain forgot that I put the soup in the microwave!

And, like a broken record, I'm looking at snow falling again. This shoveling stuff is starting to get old!

meowee
02-06-2008, 04:30 PM

teacher1
02-07-2008, 09:45 PM
Hello all,
Not much going on, work is very busy. I'm glad Friday is around the corner.

ArtCat
02-08-2008, 11:19 AM
We haven't heard from Claire (waterbaby) lately, but I see that she's from Tennessee. I wonder if she had problems with all those tornadoes?

Gail- I tried this recipe and it just wasn't good, although I think it could be. It's definitely healthy. I was wondering if you had any ideas of how to fix it?

Rosalynn Carter's Cream of Broccoli Soup-with No Cream
Recipe courtesy First Ladies' Cookbook
Show: Cooking Live
Episode: White House Eats: First ladies Tribute

1 medium onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 bay leaf
1 pound green broccoli, chopped
1 small potato, chopped
2 1/2 cups light vegetable stock
Salt and pepper, to taste
1/2 lemon, juiced
Lowfat plain yogurt

Saute onion and garlic in the oil until soft, 3 to 4 minutes.

Add bay leaf, broccoli, potato, and stock. Simmer gently, covered for about 10 minutes, until the broccoli is tender, but still bright green. Remove bay leaf and let cool.

Puree in a blender (not totally smooth). Season to taste, add lemon juice and return to pan to reheat if necessary. Add a dollop of yogurt just before serving.

gailr42
02-09-2008, 01:43 AM
In what way was it not good? I don't like vegetable stock. I would use ff, less sodium chicken stock. Sorry, I can't remember if you are vegetarian.

I have had this idea in my head for a while to cook the stems of the broccoli and puree them along with the sauted onion and garlic. Then add chicken broth and cook however many florets you like, in the soup. Lemon juice seems good. Nutmeg is a classic seasoning for broccoli, so I might use it instead of bay leaf. I dunno. I never seem to know how anything is going to be until I actually make it. I think I have some broccoli. For sure it would be good if you added a cup of cream and a pound of shredded cheese:lol:.

Hey, guess what? It got up to 70 degrees F. today. We had the doors open. The dogs tippy-toed in and ate all the cat food when I wasn't paying attention. Good thing they did't get my five pound turkey meatloaf which was cooling on the counter.

I have made three of those giant Ina Garten turkey meatloaves in the last year. This one today was the best of the three, probably because I followed the recipe exaclty:lol:. I freeze it in slices and use it for meatloaf sandwiches, which I happen to love more than anything for lunch. Especially with horseradish on it.

We got a lotof produce at Costco yesterday. I have eight heads of lettuce in my styrofoam cooler. I can't believe how fast we eat lettuce.

Got salad dressing, micro greens, Persian cucumbers (no idea what the difference is between these and regular ones), Greek style yogurt at Trader Joe's. ONe of the dressings was Pear vinaigrette with Gorgonzola. It is not low fat/low calorie, but someone on here recommended it anyway. I haven't tried it yet. I got some fig yogurt. It is the full fat stuff, but is it ever good. I think it would be good as a topping on something - haven't figured out what, yet.

Yesterday was DH's birthday. One of his friends made him a plate of mini-chocolate eclairs. I had to eat two of those - after all, they are "mini". Why do I keep doing this to myself????????

teacher1
02-09-2008, 10:14 AM
This has been a rough week with the dieting. I gained a pound :( So I need to hop back on the wagon. Wish me luck :)

gailr42
02-09-2008, 10:16 PM
I was up a pound this morning, too. Probably the Rice Crispy treats, the mini-eclairs and the full fat fig yogurt. It doesn't take long for that kind of eating to catch up with me.

DH's 50 year class reunion is coming up this summer. I am hoping that motivates me. I want to loose 15 more pounds, and that is certainly do-able by, say, July.

I cleaned my fridge yesterday. Now it looks like a farmer's market on the inside.

I made a nicoise salad for lunch today. I followed a recipe in a French cookbook. It called for olive oil as a dressing. I used my TJ's FF Balsamic Vinegar dressing. I am sure it would be better with evoo, but it was just fine with the FF dressing.

We had another beautiful day today. Seems like most years we have some nice weather in January or February. It isn't really spring yet!

teacher1
02-11-2008, 06:34 PM
Hi all,
It's looks like everyone is getting busy. It was a good day at work. Have a great night.

ArtCat
02-12-2008, 10:36 AM
We had another snow day yesterday because the windchill was so low. -25, something like that I think.

My scale seems to be stuck, can't seem to break the 200 mark. I'm wondering how much of it is psychological? Guess I just need to keep plugging away. I don't feel as if I'm doing anything really bad, but maybe I need to start writing down what I eat finally.

I want to make cookies to send to my kids for Valentine's day, but I'm afraid I'll eat them. Sometimes life just doesn't seem fair.

meowee
02-12-2008, 05:01 PM

Sorry I've been MIA -- had a serious computer problem on Friday and 'he' had to go and spend the weekend at the "spa" for some R & R. Weather was sooooo bad Sunday and yesterday, it turned into a long weekend. :lol: Today, both the computer and the weather are in pretty good shape. Weather is supposed to get ugly again tomorrow -- hope Mr. Computer stays cheerful. :yes:

Oh GAIL . . . I used to make a brocolli soup exactly like you described a few years ago using the brocolli stems (and no cream and no cheese :lol:). It was great . . . thanks for the reminder, must start saving my stems again-- same idea works terrifically well with cauliflower, too.

I feel for you LIZ . . . I'm having a tough year so far . . . but I know it's my own fault. I keep giving in to my sweet-tooth. :mad:

Hang in there TEACH . . . glad you had a good day yesterday and hope today was more of the same.

See you later, Chickies . . . :grouphug:

meowee
02-13-2008, 10:34 AM

Computer is still okay -- weather is dull, but it hasn't started to actually 'do' anything yet.

See you later . . . :carrot:

gailr42
02-13-2008, 06:20 PM
I talked to my son in Ann Arbor last night. He said they had a high temp of 7°F. Yikes!!!!!

We, on the otherhand, were in the mid 70°s F yesterday. Eat your hearts out:lol:.

My younger son and family are coming this weekend. Among other things, I bought some See's candy, for the company of course! Let's just see how I do with that around. Mostly everything I have planned for us to eat is fine if I just remember that I need not eat huge portions.

Well, how about that, Linda. Great minds think alike. I actually have some broccoli, but I cut off the great big stems because I needed room in the refrig. Next time, I will try making soup with them.

My DH just called me at work and said he bought a box of strawberries from a traveling vendor. Sometimes that stuff is good, sometimes not, so we shall see. I love fresh strawberries. I am seeing a mint sprinkled citrus and strawberry salad sort of thing in my future.

I made a bunch of barley/lentil soup a while back. It seems to call out for a bit of lamb in it. I just happened to find a package of lamb neck bones for stew at the grocery today. I am going to brown them, and then braise in chicken stock, degrease and debone and add to my soup. If the remaining liquid tastes good, I will add that too, to make it more volumetric.

Have a happy hunting and gathering volumetric day, everyone!!!

teacher1
02-13-2008, 06:54 PM
yum strawberrries, it makes me wish spring was here flip flops and all. Feb has been rough on me. plus, with the vday party tomorrow, it won' be pretty. i'll try to stay away from the junk but with sugared up kiddos i might need a treat too.

gailr42
02-14-2008, 11:55 AM
I got stuff for DH for Valentine's day and for my dgks, who are visiting this weekend. Hope I can stay away from most of it.

I weighed 143 this morning. If I can only get down to 142, I will have lost 40lbs. This seems to be a very hard line for me to cross! And I keep sabotaging myself by eating junk.

catmalvo
02-14-2008, 01:17 PM
Hi All!
Happy Valentines Day!!!!

:val1:

Been away mentally... It has been cold and icy here in PA. I wonder if the cold makes me hungry?

Well, while I am still hunting my perfect cat, my daughter went out and got a Yorkie! Cute little thing. It is funny watching her play with our big dopey rottie/lab.:hug:

Sounds like everyone is holding up - minus the computer problems sorry...

I happily lost a pound; considering I am always hungry, thats pretty good.
I honestly thought that once I went off the anti-depressants I wouldn't be so hungry... that excuse is no longer there for me.... I need to find something that triggers my brain to think HEY I AM FULL! Any suggestions??? :hungry:

Cat'

meowee
02-14-2008, 02:58 PM

Happy Valentine's Day . . . :yes: . . . got up this morning and my ticker was correct again . . . so I almost immediately ate a bag of cute little valentine chocolates. Sometimes I just do not understand what drives me to do these things. :mad:

teacher1
02-14-2008, 06:10 PM
Happy Valentine's Day!!! So much junk at school today. Yuck

gailr42
02-15-2008, 10:06 AM
If we could know what drives us or might make us feel full, we would be rich!

Someone on here said something to the effect that if we were normal eaters we wouldn't be thinking about food, reicpes, meals and cooking all the time. Well, you know, I sure would miss all that stuff in my life. I think we just have direct our thinking towards healthier meals. Thinking up healthy stuff to eat is just as interesting to me as thinking about unhealthy food.

Yesterday my eating descended to new lows (or is it highs?). Cleaned out the fridge - ate all the leftovers from my last weeks lunch stuff for breakfast - maybe more than I needed, but healthy stuff. For lunch, two hunks of enchiladas given to DH by a friend. Good, but lots of cheese and who knows how many fat grams. For dinner, coconut cream pie. Two pieces. Nothing else. How's that for a balanced, nutritionally dense diet? I need to control my portions - one hunk of enchilada and one piece of pie next time:lol:.

catmalvo
02-15-2008, 11:26 AM
I plan and gather recipes - all healthy mind you; as I am doing that I get hungrier and hungrier by the minute. I use to eat salad and maybe a pack of 100 calorie cookies, but that didn't work... it only acted as an appetizer. This past week, I have been throwing a small handful of Chinese noodles and mandarin orange slices into my salad along with a cup of hot bullion and it really curbs my appetite. I know the bullion has a lot of sodium but thats just water weight right??? I do not have high blood pressure so I am not too concerned with that.

meowee
02-15-2008, 04:20 PM
Soup . . . wonderful soup . . . one of the mainstays of Volumetrics for sure. At least a lot of soup manufacturers are cutting their sodium levels, bit by bit. Homemade is still your safest bet, of course.

Today is not one of my best days -- but, definitely a lot better than yesterday :yes:

teacher1
02-15-2008, 06:24 PM
TGIF - 3 day weekend :)

gailr42
02-15-2008, 08:50 PM
Yes, I get hungry when I read recipes, too! I try to have a full stomach when I study my cookbooks.

I have done fine today, so far. Hot cereal for breakfast, apple and a few pumpkin seeds for a snack. Went to Sizzler for lunch. Had grilled chicken, salad and baked potato with minimal dressings. Said "no thanks" to the cheese toast, which I love, but I think is probably not a good idea:lol:. Turkey burger with chutney, one slice of dry toast(to put the burger on), salad and sugar snap peas are the plan for dinner. Now if I can just leave the coconut cream pie alone....

meowee
02-16-2008, 08:05 AM
:sunny:, but very cold.

Wowee . . . my life is so boring all it takes to get me really excited is a little sunshine . . . :lol:

Hope everybody has a great day . . . see you later, gang . . . :wave:

meowee
02-17-2008, 09:13 AM
Another :sunny: day here in northern Nova Scotia -- I'm delighted to be able to tell you.

Where is everybody, BTW? Wherever it is, I hope you are all having fun. :yes:

ArtCat
02-17-2008, 10:18 AM
Well, I had a thrilling date with my DH yesterday! We went to an ice and snow covered lake about 3 hours north of us to look for his lost wedding ring. We rented a metal detector and spent hours looking, but with no prize. It actually was kind of fun, though, and the sun was shining, so I got some exercise and some sunshine. The down side is that we ate lunch and dinner in some greasy spoons in the area, so I'm sure I'll pay for that later.

For Catmalvo- lots of times if I'm really hungry and it's not dinner time yet, I drink a mix of equal parts bullion and tomato juice. It tastes good, and it fills you up enough if you give it time to work.

I confess, I'm a cookbook reader, too. I must own about a hundred, and I get magazines, too. At least I've cut myself down to just one magazine lately. I also have them sent to my email address, and I probably print out about 5 a day, depending on the day. Of course, they're in stacks all over the house, ready for when I can test and organize them. My daughter got me a computer program for Christmas called Matilda, and you can use it to make a virtual cookbook. It's easy if you're cutting and pasting from online, but it's a bother when you have to type it all in.

Well, we're in the middle of freezing rain/rain/freezing rain/snow here. It's been a crazy-weather winter this year!

teacher1
02-17-2008, 11:12 AM
Liz- Sorry to hear about your DH ring but what a fun day.

Feb. has been rough but I'm trying to get back into healthy choices and will continue to my progress.

catmalvo
02-17-2008, 05:05 PM
:flow2:Today was the second sunny day in a very long time! Still very cold but just seeing the sun and no clouds lifted my spirits more than you can imagine. I keep asking myself why I live on a mountain, yes it is beautiful (when the sun shines), but so is the coast down south. Hmmm....:dancer:

teacher1
02-18-2008, 11:12 AM
Hi all,
Just enjoying my day off. Everyone have a great day :)

meowee
02-18-2008, 03:04 PM
Not a holiday here . . . but for those of us who are retired . . . who can really notice. :lol: It is something called "Family Day" in a lot of places in Canada; but our government decided to take the stance that "everyday is Family Day in Nova Scotia" -- really popular decision, as you can imagine. :mad:

It's raining, windy and mild today -- hopefully sun will be coming out again tomorrow.

Just got back from taking Blizzard to the Vet -- he has an ear infection and has been scratching the inside and outside of the ear raw -- all the bleeding is really eye-catching on a white cat. Now he is wearing one of those delightful collars to try to keep him from scratching so the ear gets a chance to heal. He's not a happy camper and he keeps walking into stuff with the edge of the collar. Poor baby.

Nothing else too exciting around here. Hope everybody is having a great day. :wave:

catmalvo
02-18-2008, 03:30 PM
Hope Blizzard feels better.

I am home enjoying my day off.
Hope everyone else is too.

Cat'

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wR6nkNl/weight.png

gailr42
02-19-2008, 02:07 PM
Our dog, Freckles, especially liked Simon, the cat we lost recently. When Simon came home from being neutered, he had one of those collars. Freckles was fascinated with both ends of the cat.:lol:

My son and family visited this weekend. I ate way too many snacks and less than healthy things. I am back on track this morning. I manage to control the portion size of my treats, but I graze too much.

meowee
02-19-2008, 05:51 PM
Hi gang . . . . . . Here I am really late to the party again. We have had a very unusual day -- mild and mostly sunny. No sure I can handle much of this; but guess I won't have to because the temp has been dropping like the proverbial rock the past couple of hours. So, yes, I spent most of the day out and about again. Terrible for the eating but okay for the moving part of the equation.

Update on Blizzard . . . All day yesterday, he kept removing the collar and I kept putting it back on -- today, I got smarter --added an extra tie to the collar, crossed it over his chest, ran it under his arms and tied it in the back. He is definitely not pleased with the 'new look' but the collar has stayed on all day. The only thing he does like is his 'pill pocket' with the amoxicillan dose in it. Those things really are amazing. He doesn't seem to realize he's taking a pill at all. At $10 for a bag of 45 they should be.

And, you should see him trying to clean "down there" with this collar on -- actually by the time his week is up, he'll be really antsy -- all he can actually reach are his paws and the tip of his tail. He can eat just fine, but he makes a mess in the water bowl. :lol:

Also took Purrecious to the Vet this morning; but just for her annual booster. She got a clean bill of health and actually behaved herself throughout the exam. If we don't watch out she'll be losing her nick-name of 'flying squirrel'.

Hope you all have a great evening . . . see you soon . . . :carrot:

teacher1
02-19-2008, 07:10 PM
Linda- Those kitties keep you busy.

Girl scout cookies were delivered today. Yikes!!!

meowee
02-20-2008, 07:10 AM
Oh no . . . not Girl Scout Cookies . . . be brave, Chickie.

It's very cold and very windy around here again. We did get a little dusting of snow overnight, but it is nice and :sunny: right now. Hope it continues. :yes:

Big :grouphug: for all . . . see you later.

ArtCat
02-20-2008, 10:44 AM
We have a beautiful sunny day here, too. It's so pretty with the new snow!

I'm daring to move my ticker down a pound. I've been waiting a week or so, just because I don't trust my scale, but it keeps on saying 1 lb. down, so I'll go with it. Finally!

gailr42
02-20-2008, 12:04 PM
Good going, ArtCat!!!!

meowee
02-21-2008, 09:22 AM
Good Morning . . . :wave:

Sunny and cold, again . . . got to get out and do some moving and shaking . . . :carrot:

gailr42
02-21-2008, 03:02 PM
I just had the best lunch using a bunch of stuff out of the fridge. I sauteed cooked brussels sprouts, raw onion rings, and mini peppers. I put this on top of some slices of cooked steak (from which I carefully removed all visible fat) and a round of toasted, stale, french bread. I topped the whole thing off with radish sprouts, parsley, a couple of cherry tomatoes and Trader Joe's low fat parmesan ranch (someone on here recommended it, and it's good).

I did better with my eating yesterday and so far today with my eating than I have been.

teacher1
02-21-2008, 05:37 PM
home sick today :(

gailr42
02-21-2008, 06:11 PM
Sorry to hear that you are sick, Teacher. I think I am getting a cold or something, too.

meowee
02-22-2008, 08:46 AM
Morning . . . :wave:

Another sunny one. :yay: Unfortuntely, things are supposed to change for tomorrow. Gotta get out there and enjoy it while we've got it.

Sorry to hear that we've got 'sickies'. Feel better soon, Chickies. :hug:s for you both.

teacher1
02-22-2008, 12:15 PM
Home sick again :( Yuck, but on the up side the scale is moving down :)

meowee
02-23-2008, 11:27 AM

It's been snowing since sometime in the middle of the night . . . but not looking too bad, yet.

teacher1
02-23-2008, 01:59 PM
Hi all,
My nose hurts from blowing it so much. Ahhh!!!!!!

meowee
02-23-2008, 02:59 PM
Awwww . . . poor nose . . . what's that commercial? Oh ya . . . "A nose in need needs Puffs indeed." Hope you feel better soon . . . :hug:

gailr42
02-23-2008, 07:44 PM
I feel terrible, too. I have a cough and congestion. Not too surprisingly, I haven't lost my appetite :lol:.

I made rigatoni with goat cheese from Everyday Food from the kitchens of Martha Stewart for lunch. I weighed and measured everything, and cut the recipe to one serving. I came out with about 300 calories the way I made it. I ate a big spinach salad with it. As far as I am concerned, it was worth every calorie!!!

I am thawing some scallops for dinner. I will probably just saute them - maybe with little peppers.

The Martha cook book is quite nice. There are some recipes that are "light" to start with, and some that just need a little tweaking to be "light".

Hope we all feel better soon and that spring arrives tomorrow. Next thing we know, we'll be complaining about the heat and humidity. No humidity here, of course. Speaking of spring, I have a single, little daffodil blooming in my flower bed. I don't know what happened to its companions.:)

meowee
02-24-2008, 07:45 AM

Well I had a good eating day yesterday . . . not surprising since I was totally on my own with nobody trying to force-feed me. :lol: Today, probably won't be as successful. I know, I know -- nobody can make me eat but me -- but I'm so weak. :mad:

At least the sun is shining today . . . Whoopee . . . :carrot:

ArtCat
02-25-2008, 11:05 AM
Well, we're in to another week. I did fairly well last week, but had a night out with the girls, and I drank some. It's sad how many calories alcohol has. You can eat really well, and then destroy it with a drink. Oh well, I needed the night out.

Gail- I've never made scallops, and the one time I had them they were kind of chewy and not that great. You seem to have them a lot- how do you cook them so that they're good? Maybe the ones I had were overcooked?

I had a nice surprise Saturday- I went to the grocery store at night, and when I was going back to my car with my groceries, I saw a funny looking dirty lump of snow. I looked closer, and it was an avocado! Since there was no one around to claim it, I took it home. I love avocados, and they're even good for you, so it was my lucky bonus for the week!

Hope everyone's feeling better-

meowee
02-25-2008, 03:40 PM

gailr42
02-25-2008, 03:44 PM
I either grill or saute them. It is definitely best not to overcook scallops - it does make them chewy. I don't always get it just right, but I think you are supposed to cook them until they are opaque in the middle. That means you have to cut one open and look.

Around here, we don't look for lost money - it's lost food that interests us! :lol: :lol: about the avocado. I have one ripening on my counter as we speak.

I am kind of discouraged. I just can't seem to stop myself from over doing on the snacks. I have gained a couple of pounds and that just makes me want to snack more - I know, that doesn't make any sense! I am eating my healthy snacks, and sampling some of DH's junk. He keeps a lot of his junk food in his truck, but he has to have some in the house. I was able to leave it alone for a whole year, and all of a sudden I can't resist.

And speaking of DH, he wasn't really overweight to begin with, but he has lost about 15lbs by just eating more produce, because I have been buying more.

I am hoping that I will feel better about my eating plan when I get over the cold and cough. I sure don't want to gain all that fat back!!!!!!

teacher1
02-25-2008, 07:02 PM
I hear that Gail. I mean I still need to lose the weight but my eating plan is off whack with being sick. Right now, I'm just eating what sounds good but that's not much, my taste buds are off.

gailr42
02-25-2008, 07:40 PM
My taste buds are wanting cashews and Wheat-Thins and salami. How's that for health food?

ArtCat
02-26-2008, 09:54 AM
They do have Reduced Fat wheat thins, and they're not too bad. They're still not "in the plan", but sometimes you just need to take a small break. Look at the label, count out one serving, put it on a plate, and allow yourself that. They say that most of our food pleasure comes in the first two bites, anyways.

Good Luck, girls. It stinks to feel lousy!

meowee
02-26-2008, 11:39 AM
Just a quick little :wave: I'm still feeling yucky, too.

gailr42
02-26-2008, 04:39 PM
The library just got me The Food You Crave - Lushcious Recipes for a healthy Life, by Ellie Krieger. It is a very attractive book. I haven't really read through it, but I think it will be good. Love cookbooks.

Also, I got three big hunks of frozen wild salmon on sale for 2.99/lb. Love fish.

teacher1
02-26-2008, 06:26 PM
Hi all,
Linda feel better!
Gail- I wish that I liked salmon. It's so good for you but I'm not a fish eater. I do like shrimp and tuna at least.

gailr42
02-26-2008, 06:41 PM
Have you tried any fish lately? Maybe your tastes have changed.:lol: I love fish and seafood, but it seems pretty expensive most of the time.

meowee
02-28-2008, 08:51 AM
Hi . . . :wave: . . . Where are you hiding, gang?

ArtCat
02-28-2008, 10:23 AM
I'm here!
I had a good eating day yesterday, but a terrible one the day before. I think I need to pay more attention to why I eat and what triggers those bad episodes. That Beck Diet Solutions addresses those issues, but I haven't been doing the book like I should. Maybe I need to figure out why for that, too? :?:

Sometimes things just seem too hard. I'm working on codependency issues, too, and it feels like I've just got too many issues going on at the same time. I was hoping they were all intertwined, and would get better together, but it doesn't look that way.

teacher1
02-28-2008, 07:08 PM
Liz- I think you're on the right track. Baby steps, baby steps!!!!

I'm so glad the weekend is right around the corner. Plus, so close to March. Yeah :)

teacher1
02-29-2008, 06:17 PM
Hello buddies-
Everyone have a great weekend :)

meowee
03-01-2008, 01:32 AM
Time for a fresh new start, gang -- I definitely need one --

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135807

Hope to see you all over there. :yes: