South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 01-02-2008, 04:30 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 245/238/150

Height: 5'4"

Question A couple of ??s from a SBD newbie

Tonight we're having one of the chicken recipes from here, green beans, and I'm going to do brown rice for hubby & the kiddos; it's going to be really hard for me to not add some of that rice to my plate, but I was thinking I could maybe have some black-eye peas instead. The only thing is, they're leftover from yesterday (before SBD day 1) and my Mom cooked them with some bacon in the pot. Would having a small serving of those, even if there was some pork fat in the boiling water, really kill SBD or would it be considered ok since it was just 2-3 pieces of bacon for a huge pot of peas?

Since I'm asking, I'll go ahead with other things I've wondered about - lucky you, right?

Are there any pre-packaged taco/chili/au jus mixes that are SBD allowable? I know just adding my own spices is preferred, but my house and life resemble a zoo most of the time, so there are gonna be times when opening a packet and dumping is helpful.

I know I can add sf jello powder to ff plain yogurt, but what about sf pudding mix? I didn't see anything about flours on the box, but I know they can sneak it in under other names.

Also, commercial dill pickles - yea or nay? I've skimmed the list a couple of times, but I've been known to miss what's written right in front of me a time or two (or 10...)

Thanks!
zookeepera949906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 04:57 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 214/210/164

Height: 5'0"

Jennifer, I'm definitely not an expert, but I think that any spice mix is fine as long as it is sugar-free. Also, I would just check the salt content to make sure it isn't too high if anyone in the house has problems with that.

The rest of the stuff I'm clueless on! Sorry
Kim_Star060404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 06:29 PM   #3  

Someone may have answered this since I got interrupted and it is quite a bit later.

Just check the ingredients on the spice mixes for sugar or starches. You might be best avoiding them during phase 1 as it is very easy for things to sneak in mixes like that.

You need to avoid the SF pudding mixes in phase 1 due to the starches in them. I like to add Splenda and cinnamon to plain yogurt.

Dill pickles are fine. I also like the Mount Olive sugar free sweet ones that are sweetened with Splenda. I used to make my own when I started South Beach in 2004 but now I buy the ones with Splenda.

I think the black eyed peas would be okay for now but in the future you can have her make them with turkey bacon and they will be better for you.
Barb0522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 07:38 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 197/185/123-125

Height: 5'1"

Also try adding 1 tbsp nut butter (the natural kind with the oil on top and no added sugars or other stuff) and a packet of Splenda or other sweetener to the yogurt (count it towards the serving of nuts in Phase 1, though - 1 tbsp, if I'm not mistaken, is 1/2 nut serving). It makes for a very nice filling desert. I also recently tried adding a bit of unsweetened cocoa powder and some vanilla to it and chilling it. Also a winner .

Tam
tammay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 10:41 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 245/238/150

Height: 5'4"

Thanks for the help! If you haven't tried the almond/parmesan crusted chicken from the phase 1 recipe page, I highly recommend it!
zookeepera949906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:51 PM   #6  
Pregnant w/PCOS

S/C/G: On Hold

Height: 5'4

I bought some baby dill snackers, which I've always bought and never looked at but they have SUGAR in them... WHY??!!
LoveMySgt is offline   Reply With Quote