Alternachicks - Alternachick chat - January 2008

View Full Version : Alternachick chat - January 2008

mauvaisroux
01-01-2008, 11:26 PM
HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE! :hat:

Hope you all had a good New Years Eve and best wishes to all of you for 2008!

MangoKitty
01-02-2008, 12:18 AM
Happy new year! I managed to make it threw the whole new years party without a single drink! on the 8th i'll be 200 days sober. Hooray for me!

going2Bhealthy
01-02-2008, 06:33 AM
Happy new year to all!!! :D

Having had a relaxing day yesterday (I had the day off work) I've just come back from a run along the sea front and I feel great for it. I'm working 2pm-midnight today so I've got my meals all planned out including healthful snacks.

Congratulations on your sobriety MangoKitty!!

Here's to a bright and happy 2008 :D

blondebombshell
01-02-2008, 11:07 AM
Happy New Year Everybody!

I'm new here. In North Jersey. I guess you can call me an "alternachick". LoL. I'm relieved to see a section especially for the "extraspecial" ladies. My boyfriend is one of those antisocial gamers and I wear harry potter t-shirts.... so maybe I'll fit in? LoL. I definitely have a lot of weight to lose.

My 21st birthday is this summer--and I'm determined to be sexy as **** for my big night out.

Any tips or help or encouragement anyone has for me is more than welcome! Here's to 2008!!!

Heidijn
01-02-2008, 08:37 PM
Well, I guess I'll jump in here and chat. Hello Everyone!

What is it about this bizarre social construct of time which impells us to commit to something based on the calendar? I've usually started dieting on a Monday, or on the first of the month or something otherwise standardized. But this year, I started on Saturday (oooohhh), as in last Saturday. I thought I'd get a jump start on those January 1 folks.

I've lost .8 pounds since then! Today I even managed to bypass the fresh batch of fudge at work.

For dinner I had what felt like the umpteenth serving of the same roasted winter vegetables I made on Saturday. I can't stand the sight of them anymore and may toss the last bunch. I did make Almond-Crusted Salmon from the "Duke Diet" - delicious!

After 15+ years of marriage, I am learning to adjust my cooking for one, and to make things that I like. My husband would never touch fish so the salmon is a new feature in my house and I must say, it is terribly popular with my dogs and cats! Anyone have any favorite fish recipes?

Congratulations MangoKitty! I have not had a drink for 13 years and 7 months, which probably sounds like an eternity to you at this point, but keep it up! Actually, when I became a non-drinking person, one thing I found very helpful was a Rational Recovery chat on AOL. Thinking about how I discovered support for that major change in my life it what prompted me to find 3FatChicks. I hope to find my participation here just as rewarding. (I'm staying away from divorce sites though - Yech!)

Ok, must take care of business, the dogs are playing musical rawhides and that usually leads to someone getting a time out.

Happy month of Janus - god of gates, doors, doorways, beginnings, and endings!

MangoKitty
01-03-2008, 11:39 AM
I have not had a drink for 13 years and 7 months,

woooooow! you are total inspiration to me, i only hope i can make it that long!:dizzy:

mauvaisroux
01-04-2008, 05:30 PM
Congratulations Mangokitty! :bravo: Keep going - you can do it! :cheer:

Welcome BlondeBombshell and Heidijn! :wave:

I'm quite proud of myself this week - I have had only one coffee since last Saturday! :cb: I have been drinking herbal or decaf tea all week at work and only succumb to a Tim Horton's fix today. :)

Work has felt like an episode of "As the Office Turns" this week with some drama that has finally ended - what a relief! Now I'm home and planning on doing very little since I socialized so much for the last two weeks.

gaia2094
01-04-2008, 05:33 PM
Brightests Blessings and Happy New Year!

I started a few days before January 1 as well, but flopped on New Year's Eve when we made vegetarian chili cheese dip and had cheese and crackers (for my family, the big downfall is chocolate, cheese, and garlic. The last one we should probably indulge in more than the other two). Do we have a dancing garlic?!

I didn't start on a Monday! I started my faux-National Body Challenge challenge today; 31 lbs by the end of March. Everytime I drink all 8 glasses of water, I get to put in $1 towards my bellybutton tattoo and ring. I just need a jar now...

Tharmony
01-04-2008, 08:17 PM
gaia2094,

I love the one dollar at a time idea as a motivational reward strategy. I'm going to have to think of something I've been wanting and try the jar thing myself. If I can find a jar ;). Thanks!

gaia2094
01-05-2008, 11:08 AM
I was eating tons of spaghetti at school (cheap and easy to make taste different), so I collected all my jars and have probably 4 or 5. Cut a slit in two of them last night and plan on decorating them sometime soon, as soon as I get some paints. I made up goals for every time I meet my 10% goal, the first being 3 brand new romance novels (my happy weakness) and setting aside a whole day to do nothing but read them. As more weight comes off, the rewards get better and more extravagant, ending with a trip to a day spa and getting the works, then a whole new wardrobe and probably a night out. I'm hoping to be at goal August of 2009, before my 21st birthday in November. Best birthday gift I can give to myself! ;)

MangoKitty
01-05-2008, 02:09 PM
That sounds like a great plan! I've been keeping a "tattoo fund" sense i was like, 16 that all my spare change goes into. only problem is now my husband is into tattoo's too so i have to share!

gaia2094
01-05-2008, 03:51 PM
The funniest part is that I actually typed up a sheet that lists it all out... and its in rainbow colors...

mauvaisroux
01-05-2008, 05:37 PM
Gaia - I have trouble getting 8 glasses in during the winter but not so much in the summer. The $1 per 8 is a great idea that I am going to use too! :)

I need to get to my goal by June as I would like to enjoy the summer to the fullest (activities, vacation, new clothes and possible a trip overseas). My goal is not focused on a number though. It is more about regaining the energy and fitness level that I had 6 months ago before life got busy and I got side tracked.

This morning was the first morning since October that I woke up and I actually felt really good - mentally, physically and spiritually. Things haven't been horrible, I just feel like I have been so busy with everything (work, stress, house, social obligations, other people's drama) that I have neglected myself. I haven't felt right lately and feel kind of tired and bored with myself.

Though I have to say that I'm very excited as today I bought some funky new eyeglasses which will be ready in about 1 1/2 weeks. I've decided to buy some new eyewear and wear my contacts less. I am also going to get a haircut next week and will try a funky new style.

2008 = the new me! :D

MangoKitty
01-06-2008, 03:26 AM
I'm so excited, I weighed myself this morning and i'm down to 184! Woohoo! feels like i've been at 186 FOREVER, I'm glad i finoly managed to break this platue. And during my TOM at that! ::does a victory dance::

mauvaisroux
01-06-2008, 10:24 AM
Way to go MangoKitty! :cp:

aphil
01-07-2008, 03:41 PM
Congrats on your sobriety MangoKitty! :carrot:

Mauvais-the new glasses sound fab!!!! How are you getting your hair done? Every pic I have ever seen of you-you always look wonderfully stylish and chic. :)

I am in a total hair rut...which is terrible since I went to school for hair/skin/nails.

I don't know what to do with it, really. It is red...and about down to my bra in the back. It has layers in the bottom few inches-so that it doesn't look blunt cut. I also have a very thin strip of long bangs-that hit right at about my jaw/mouth. Because of the length, they aren't even really bangs-they are just the strands that were cut to hang down when my hair is worn up. It is has natural wave...

If anyone has any ideas on what I could do with it, I'd gladly take suggestions. :D The only thing I am opposed to, is going super short-because it was Jamie Lee Curtis pixie short for years-has only been longer the past 4 years.

Enygirl
01-08-2008, 02:48 PM
Ok girls - i'm here again. I almost gave up on you all after last month's chat thread. I was virtually talking to myself! I MISSED YOU ALL!!! It's also GREAT to see some new faces!

I've been doing great thus far - I was #.3 away from my New Year goal - and I'm proud. My offical weigh in day is now Sunday, and I'm down to #184.4 as of the 6th. My goal for Jan is to be out of the #180's completely by kick off of the Super Bowl - more would be great though!

I love the idea of a goal jar - but I am horrible at having visible money saved. if it's in the bank i'm good - but if I see it - i spend it.

I'm still working towards my Wings tattoo for my ultimate goal - hopefully I'll hit it around July/August - but I'm giving myself until Christmas before I start completely freaking out on myself!

Alright I'm going home now - I'll check in before bed! I did miss you!

gaia2094
01-08-2008, 04:01 PM
Yea, only problem with the jars is how many you have going at once... I have 3, so its getting a little bit draining on my thinning wallet. ^_^

mauvaisroux
01-08-2008, 06:54 PM
Aphil- right now my hair is about 2 inches below my shoulders so I am thinking of getting about 3 to 4 inches taken off, maybe about chin length. I was wondering about sideswept bangs since my hair currently frames my face with a part in the middle. Not sure yet but I have been looking at a hairstyling magazine for inspiration. I still want some length as I like to put it up in the summer because of the humidity here.

I have an appointment this friday so I better figure it out soon! :lol:

Well gotta run to my dance class!:belly:

Have a good night everyone! :)

Heidijn
01-08-2008, 09:38 PM
Well, here's what I've learned so far this year -- don't eat movie popcorn for dinner the night before your weigh-in day! The entire bag of Twizzlers probably didn't help either, but here I am 11 days into this gig and I've only lost one pound.

Of course, I was fine with that until a friend called and said "I've lost 2 pounds this week and went to the gym every day." Augh! I'd have to drive 40 miles to get to the nearest gym.

However, I did break out the dumbells and did an upper body routine last night. That went well until my "puppy" decided to chew on the 3# weight and dropped it on my toe. Between that and Ohio State sucking hard, I had a tough night.

I've run out of fresh & healthful options so had a frozen entree for dinner (yummy Amy's caserole) and an orange. Fortunately tomorrow is payday so I can go shopping. Last week I was so good and planned meals & snacks etc. Not sure when I'll have time to do so this week.

I'm really trying to give this 3FC thing the old college try. I skulk around just about every day. I do not quite understand the layout and find that a bit exasperating, but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it. I do seem to require a dictionary for some of the common acronyms in frequent use (...omigod, I'm so square, hey everyone, the librarian needs a dictionary!) I believe a "DH" is a darling husband? or I guess in my case "divorcing husband."

Anyway, I'm surrounded by my loving pets, great books etc., but I do get a bit sad and miss my husband terribly. (Well, I miss the nice stuff, not the tyranical stuff.) I was wise to go through the house and chuck all of the "junk" foodstuffs, because I was a lone compulsive-eater back in the day and now that I am rattling around our house by myself I know I'd be facefirst into every bag of chips, crackers & candy in sight.

Mangokitty, stay sober girl!

And good luck with hair stylin'! Hair is really difficult!!

-Heidi

MangoKitty
01-09-2008, 07:59 AM
Popcorn is my downfall Heidi! I'm a total popcorn addict! i can stop drinking, stop smoking, stop eating meat, but you'll have to pry my popcorn from my cold dead hands!!! If i'm not careful i could easely eat a bag of popcorn every day of the week. I'm usualy pretty good at limiting it though, concidering i only allow myself to buy it once a month!

Enygirl
01-09-2008, 01:35 PM
gaia - I've figured it out - I'm going to keeep my "jar" at work. I'm giving myself $1 every day I don't go over my allotted calories (1300), and $5 every week that I go over my weight loss goal. My weekly goal is #1.5 right now. I'm going to go back and start from the 30th of December. This will be a great way to save for my wings!

Thank you SO much for the idea!!!

I hope that you are all having a great week!

Wanttolosealot
01-10-2008, 05:13 PM
Hey gang!
I am back again! Just checking in and saying hi right now but will stop in later and chat more if I win the fight with the kids for the computer. Hope everyone is doing well. Toodles!
Virginia

Enygirl
01-10-2008, 07:26 PM
Hey Virginia - welcome back!

Where is everyone else? I'm feeling a December repeat coming on!! COME BACK!!!

gaia2094
01-10-2008, 08:15 PM
I'm here! Promise I haven't fallen off the cliff yet!

Zen Pharmacy
01-11-2008, 01:55 AM
Hey, I've stumbled my way in here and I'm definitely chatty enough to keep any thread going.

Who's me? I'm a world traveler leftover over from the beat generation (can you be leftover if you weren't even born yet?) who's also managed to stumble her way into pharmacy school.

My current thing is very poorly played tennis, running with my dog (or rather being dragged behind), and sneaking veggies into the diets of my others.

All in all, good times had all around.

mauvaisroux
01-11-2008, 06:53 AM
Welcome Zen! And welcome back Virginia! :wave:

I picked up my new glasses last night and I love them! Definitely a new look for me. :)

I am trying to stick to plan tonight but I am going to a party to celebrate the Russian New Year so it will be hard. :crossed:

Enygirl
01-11-2008, 08:02 AM
Zen - :welcome: I'm hoping that you're right and you are that chatty.. I am too (obviously) but talking to myself isn't all that fun ;)

Mauv - How did the party go?

gaia- I'm glad you're still here - how's the water drinking going?

MangoKitty
01-11-2008, 09:33 AM
"Cat! I'm a kitty cat, and i dance dance dance and i dance dance dance!!!"

Heidijn
01-11-2008, 10:18 AM
Well, this day in January has brought me another sinus infection. My second in 6-weeks. I am very irritated by it because I have a race next Saturday and if I'm feeling better I'll run it, but probably not well. At least it's only a 5-k. Today was supposed to be a weigh-in day (day 14) but as I was feeling awful when I woke up, I forgot. I can tell that I've been losing weight though because my "fat pants" were saggin' on me yesterday and I pulled my jeans on easy. So I am feeling very good about that.

Our freakish weather has me feeling uneasy. It's nearly 50 degrees F and all the snow is gone. This just isn't right. I'm going to have to join our friends in Canada if we aren't going to have winter anymore in Michigan!

Mangokitty - each time I see your user name I am reminded of the book A Mango-shaped Space, by Wendy Mass. It's about a teenage girl with synesthesia (seeing colors for numbers & the like). Any connection?

Enygirl - I used to live in Flint and worked at the Flint Public Library. Wow, it's a tough town and not one that's very conducive to healthy living. I run the CRIM 10-mile race every August though and that's nice.

Hope everyone is doing well.

-Heidi

MangoKitty
01-11-2008, 10:22 AM
I'm so impressed with runners. I've tried, and i fail. over and over again lol. My asthma kicks up and my legs just stop working, it's realy quite pathetic lol.

Heidijn, no there's no connection. I just happon to be The Mango Empress and am inlove with kitty's :D

gaia2094
01-11-2008, 11:42 AM
Enygirl- Water drinking is excellent, yesterday was the only day that I didn't make all 8 glasses.

At the end of week 1, I'm down 5.4 lbs! I actually blinked like 10 times at the scale this morning. My dad's sick of hearing about it. ^_^

MangoKitty- I LOVE that video! It drives me nuts but its so cute! Like a headache given to you by your 5 year old niece...

Zen Pharmacy
01-11-2008, 11:42 AM
It really took my dog to get my actually running. He's super hyper and huge and if he's not worn out, he likes to come drop a tennis ball/frisbee/chew toy on my face at night.

MangoKitty
01-11-2008, 12:49 PM
Haha, I want a dog soooo bad, alot would be so i'd have someone to drag me out and run every morning. But my mean husband sais no lol. one of these days i'll just bring home a puppy without telling him! lol, noooo i'm not that evil. Maybe :P

gaia2094
01-11-2008, 12:54 PM
I wanted one, too, but I'm a huge breed dog person, mainly wolf hybrids. Small dogs are cute, but overly hyper and kind of annoying. The apartment I want to get in the fall doesn't allow anything over 30 lbs, so its gonna be a cat.

MangoKitty
01-11-2008, 01:18 PM
I'm a big dog person too. My dream is to have a Irish wolfhound Great dane mix. I also love Mastiffs and Pitbulls. the opposite of my husband, who wants a chinese crested lol.

Enygirl
01-11-2008, 01:50 PM
I LOVE the pitbull that we're fostering (my boyfriend's best friend's dog) Snoop and I have a Ton of playing catch and fetch. i don't take him running just because staying on a given path is not his style - and I don't want to have to explain to everyone in my neighborhood on why their yard is completely torn up :)

Cats are cool too though.. We got my daughter a kitten for her birthday last year - Princess Fiona Mary Meowmix... it's quite a name - but she has quite a personality. :D

gaia - great job with the water! I'm doing pretty good staying w/in my calories... I've managed 3/5 days this week - and probably today is I keep being good. ;)

Wanttolosealot
01-12-2008, 06:01 AM
Goodmorning ladies!
Wishing you all a wonderful weekend. Not quite sure why I am up so damned early but thought I might as well make use of my time and say hey! Went for a swim last night after work, there was no one at the pool so we had it to ourselves. The hot tub always feel great after working all day. Relaxes my sore tired muscles. Working 11 to 4 today, come home, feed my family, take daughter to work and then go to the gym to work out. Leg day, my favorite. Take care all
Hugs
Virginia

Heidijn
01-12-2008, 10:03 AM
Good news this morning for me! I lost 1.8# this week! I am very pleased.

Last night I baked my grandma's favorite cookies for her birthday and I'm leaving them all with her after my weekend visit. I ate 4 yesterday and they are terribly yummy (old-fashioned soft molasses coookies with the sugar crust-mmmmmmm).

My dog, Hera, has played a tremendous role in what my husband calls my "Adult-onset athleticism." When I brought her home 7 1/2 years ago and we began walking, then running regularly, it really was a life-changing thing. Once I had a couple of years of regular exercise under my belt I realized that my overall mood had dramatically improved and I no longer suffered from migraine headaches.

The "sad" part is that I began exercising because I knew she needed it, while spending a lifetime of ignoring my own need for it. Also, before I started exercising, no one could have convinced me that I would eventually come to depend on it and enjoy it so much.

Now that Hera is over 10, she will not run with me anymore. Enter Fritz, my one-year-old White German Shepherd rescue dog. He is about 70# and still growing. While my husband was totally on board with my getting another dog, and even helped me locate the rescue group from whom I eventually adopted Fritz, he was not very accepting once Fritz came home. I believe that my beautiful Fritzy was the final straw that broke my marriage-camel's back.

But I'm okay with that. Fritz never complains about my faults or yells at me! And he and Hera and my little kitty Piedmont keep me plenty warm in bed at night.

So, once I'm ready to "date" (the word makes me shudder), my main requirement is to find me a man who truly loves dogs AND cats, and, maybe, eventually ME!

gaia2094
01-12-2008, 10:49 AM
Wow... animals just rock in general. If you can pet them without being stung, bitten, or injected with venom, I consider it a plus.

My sister's going through a divorce right now, and its not going well (then again, how many divorces end happily?). Today is supposed to be moving day for me to go help her out until the fall starts again and I move back "home" to school. I already miss it a lot, getting to walk around campus and hang out on the green. But a light semester will be good for me, too, gives me more time to focus on losing weight and getting healthier so that the hills don't kill me when I'm walking around campus!

MangoKitty
01-12-2008, 11:43 AM
If you can pet them without being stung, bitten, or injected with venom, I consider it a plus.

hehe, you probably wouldnt like some of my preferred pets then :dizzy: I love scorpions, tarantulas and the likes. And i had a 7 1/2 foot Red Tail Boa before i moved to Sweden. His name was Nietzsche, and he was the coolest freaking snake EVER. I'm quite the arachnid and reptile lover:D

Daimere
01-12-2008, 12:10 PM
I want a snake sooo bad

gaia2094
01-12-2008, 04:09 PM
I love little green garden snakes or bald pythons (I think they're the small snake that didn't bite when I held it). I went with a friend once to get her a Pacman frog, and the store had a giant yellow snake and a humongous cage full of giant blue scorpions. Blue. Where do you even begin to find a blue scorpion?! But I digress. Its not that I dislike snakes, I just respect and keep a distance from those that could end my life prematurely.

MangoKitty
01-13-2008, 02:57 AM
Hahaha, I can appreciate that.

in other news, I lost 3 lbs this week! I dono how I did it, but I did! Yippie!!!!

THE Heather
01-13-2008, 03:31 AM
Hello. :)

Someone just made a burrito and I can smell it (I'm at work). It makes me jealous as I sit here with my stupid salad.

Hohum. Oh well. :p

Wanttolosealot
01-13-2008, 06:22 AM
Went to the gym last night after work, then to a friends house to play Guitar Hero III. Fun game!
Today I am heading to Truro for my uncles funeral, so quite a diverse set of emotions this weekend. All part of life I guess.
Check in with you all later.
Hugs
Virginia

Enygirl
01-13-2008, 01:13 PM
I was playing GH III last night too! I love all of the guitar hero games! And if you play drums on Rock Band - it's like a workout all on it's own!

I'm down another pound this week. Would've been more except TOM decided to rear his ugly head on Friday - and brought along killer cravings that I just couldn't ignore!!! I'm back on track today though. :D

gaia2094
01-13-2008, 03:34 PM
Well, finally got moved in yesterday, and today am already missing my mother's house. My sister doesn't have a whole lot in the way of healthy food, and its been raining so much today that I couldn't scout out the neighborhood on a walk. Not that that's really an excuse for not exercising, or the fact that my TOM came back today after a nice little hiatus of 2 months.

Tomorrow I'm going to get back on track with my schoolwork, book research, and most importantly, exercise. Oh, and grocery shopping. Its a must.

mauvaisroux
01-13-2008, 10:31 PM
mangokitty - way to on the the 3lbs! :cp:

I wasn't feeling to well last night at 11 pm and woke up with the flu. :(

On a good note I did watch Blade Runner on the weekend - I had picked up the new DVD release collector's edition around Christmas- it was awesome!

Zen Pharmacy
01-14-2008, 09:28 AM
Oh man, we watched that at my house this weekend as well, along with an Alien movie marathon.

It's good times and science fiction-tastic.

Enygirl
01-14-2008, 06:04 PM
Ugh - I'm still working - it's now going onto hour 10 - BLAH!!!!
At least I got to have dinner with my family! So hopefully I can get most of this done soon so that I can workout. I guess it doens't help if I'm on here chatting huh? :D

Ok - today was good - yesterday was good.. only 5 more days to be good this week - right?? :devil: Talk to you all soon - probably again tonight!

Wanttolosealot
01-15-2008, 06:02 AM
Hi all! Storm day for the kids here today. I am secretly hoping work calls to cancel me today too. That would be nice to not have to go into work and lounge around in robe all day. One week, 19 hours, 7 minutes and 5 seconds. 77 cigarettes not smoked, saving $31.00. Life saved: 6 hours, 25 minutes.
Check in later! Have a good day all.
Hugs
Virginia

Enygirl
01-15-2008, 10:07 AM
Virginia -:bravo: on the no smoking! I guess I never really calculated everything - but I quit on September 24th. It's not easy - and I still have cravings. Actually I wrote in my blog about it last night. 99% of the time I'm good and don't have a problem - but when I'm working at home after my daughter goes to bed - the cravings hit hard. And usually that's when I go to the cupboard and grab carbs. Grr I was over my cals by 300 yesterday because of this! :mad:

But I guess if I was to figure it out - I smoked 3 1/2 packs a week - at $5 a pack would be: $17.50 a week... and it's been 16 weeks - so $280 that I should've put in a savings account!

MangoKitty
01-15-2008, 01:41 PM
ug, This no energy thing is killing me. For the past two mornings i've woken up at 5:45 to exorcise. but instead i reset the allarm and throw my *** back in bed. ::sigh:: I MUST BREAK THE CYCLE! I'll exercise tomarow morning. I WILL! ooooor... um.... No computer for the day! yea, that should do it!

hellsbelle
01-15-2008, 03:54 PM
Hello, everyone! I have been gone from the board for a very long time, but I am looking forward to getting to know some of you who are here now. :-) I am 36 years old, married, with 2 teens at home. I homeschool and work from home, so it is easy to just sit all of the time instead of being active. I do have a few health concerns, but I am determined to give myself the gift of a healthier lifestyle. I have just started the "Best Life" program as I feel this is something I will be able to stick with long-term.

Meshell

Enygirl
01-15-2008, 04:28 PM
Meshell - :welcome2: It's nice to have you... just because you said you want to get to know us - I'm the chattiest person on here! :D I'm 27 (almost 28) and I have a 6 year old at home (well she'll be 6 on the 19th) I love being a mom. I've always been overweight - but I'm working on that - and changing my complete perception of food. ok enough about me - i look forward to getting to know you! :carrot:

broadabroad
01-16-2008, 12:59 AM
Greetings from Bangkok!

I've been reading through some of the threads here, and I definitely think this is the place for me. Not that I've ever particularly catagorised myself as "Alternative" per se - but I'm an arty, bisexual geek girl busy travelling the world in very big hats and floor-length skirts, with a small cat in tow (who I picked up out of the gutter in an oasis in the sahara). I'm perfectly sanguine about being considered eccentric or odd or whatever - really, I pretty much think that anyone who finds my clothes/points of reference/habit of wandering around singing to myself/lovely collection of handbags (today is a Batman one. It is one of my favourites) comment-worthy really can't be terribly interesting themselves. But apparently quite a few people do. Anyway, I like being me, and I'm not interested in following fashion trends or what have you - I like retro and vintage things, with pirate wench as my default position. Although now that I live in Thailand I'm thinking I need more fabulous Chinese outfits, and have already got a rather magnificent CheongSam thingy with trousers made by my tailor.

Oh, sorry - also, I'm not good at brevity. At all. Even a little bit. Um. But hello! I'm terribly impressed and inspired by the progress you folks have already made - these ticker things are fantastic. Meanwhile, I have decided that 2008 is The Year I Stop Being Fat.

aphil
01-16-2008, 07:10 AM
broadabroad-LOVE the username. :lol:

Zen Pharmacy
01-16-2008, 07:40 AM
Oh man, back to school today.

School is what kills me. I'm in pharmacy school working on a duel Pharm D/ PhD. By the time I get home, my brain's exhausted from thinking and I tend to just fall on the couch/bed and not want to cook anything. Before pharmacy school (when I was just doing grad school), I did lots of food prep on the weekend. Now, I tend to spend lots of weekend time in the library/lab.

The plan is to leave incredibly intricate details for the husband to cook dinner. He's an physicist so the idea of a recipe terrifies him, but if I break it down into more "laboratory protocol" styles he manages.

Main goal: Do not let school stress lead me to the vending machine for lunch/dinner. Bag of chips does not equal a meal.

Heidijn
01-16-2008, 09:11 PM
Hello again,

i've been away a couple of days because work has been crazy. When I've worked a few 10, 11, 12 hour days in a row I start to feel completely out of control of my own life. Dirty dishes pile up, I run out of fresh foodstuffs & can't get to the store, and worst of all, I don't walk my doggies! My only exercise since Sunday has been dashing from one meeting to the next.

But, today I got home at 7PM and took my babies for our usual 3 mile walk. Tomorrow I may have time to stop and at least pick up some bananas & milk and I will, I will, I willl, yes, I will take for dogs for a walk first thing in the morning!

On Saturday I have a 5K race...and I've only run like 3 or 4 times in the last month! I'm going anyway and I'll just do my best. In the past when I've found even just 3 miles terribly difficult, it's been good incentive for me to get motivated and run more frequently.

Haven't been on the scale since Saturday, so who knows where I am with that. I have gone to bed hungry though, so that's good right?

Well, hope you are all doing well this January!

And you guys can keep your snakes & spiders to yourselves thank you very much! :)

Wanttolosealot
01-17-2008, 10:16 AM
Hi Enygirl
Just wanted to let you know that I am not that smart figuring out how long, how much saved and all that with smoking. I use a quit meter found on www.silkquit.org . I like having the visual when I want it and turn it off when I dont. Today it is One week, two days, 23 hours, 19 minutes and 36 seconds. 99 cigarettes not smoked, saving $39.65. Life saved: 8 hours, 15 minutes.
Nice to have others on this board to encourage and know what each other is going through. Hang in there!
Hugs
Virginia

MangoKitty
01-17-2008, 11:56 AM
So, obviosly i wasnt online yesterday, because i was a bad girl and didnt exorcise before school. so no computer for me! except to log my food into fitday ofcorse. I did walk a mile after i got home so i guess i'm not all bad, lol.

Enygirl
01-17-2008, 12:30 PM
mango - you HAVE to keep exercising!!! otherwise I'll miss you too much!! Stick with it girl!

Virginia - that's why I love this board... support w/ out condemtion! :hug: :)

gaia2094
01-17-2008, 09:41 PM
Wow... what a great day yesterday was!

First, I have to run around to 2 different banks to help out my dad and my sister from bouncing checks. Yay me. Then, my cramps from TOM get horrific and I'm going to the bathroom every 20 to 30 minutes. So, Gaia hits the doctor who can't find anything wrong with me and ends up with an antibiotic that might work, might not. Come back if you don't feel better.

Somehow, I manage to stay on plan but no exercise. Oh well. Weigh in's tomorrow, I have my fingers crossed!

Enygirl
01-17-2008, 10:29 PM
gaia - I hate when Doctor's prescribe something when they don't know what is going on! Good luck on the weigh in tomorrow. :goodscale:

I FINALLY got a workout in this week! :yoga: for a good 45 mins. It was so relaxing!! Plus is was "Strengh and endurace building" which is fancy language for - KICKING MY BUTT!! :) I needed it - and loved it!

MangoKitty
01-18-2008, 04:05 AM
so... yea... QUICHE IS EVIL! Holy crap. I went like, 1000 calories over yesterday because of STUPID DUMB EVIL DELICIOS QUICHE! RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWR!!!!!!!

mauvaisroux
01-18-2008, 07:41 PM
Broadabroad - I agree with your statement of people that make comments don't have very interesting lives themselves. Although sometimes I do find that some people who make comments (positive & negative) are sometimes envious because they don't have the nerve to express themselves. This I can understand but I also find quite sad, it can be quite hard to follow your heart and be yourself. :yes:

I love neat looking purses - my lastest favorite is one that looks like a giant dice with handles. It is a solid colour and the dice marks are embroidered in white -very fun!

Mango - yes, quiche is tasty but evil.

Hey to everyone else -:wave: Just a short post tonight as I have to try to catch up on the last few days. :)

Zen Pharmacy
01-19-2008, 12:20 AM
So, where I live right now is a little culinary oasis. We have a town of restaurants and most people who come to visit have specific places that they want to go eat.

It's not completely killing my plan as the person who's down this weekend is vegetarian and doesn't want to hit up the places that are completely deep fried everything; however, I have friends coming in a month or two that I know are looking for the comfort foods.

broadabroad
01-19-2008, 09:02 AM
Jings, Zen, good luck with working out a way of incorporating your food plan into your new school life! Sounds like a bit of a bugger, that - all the more so with friends visiting who want to go and hit the restaurants!

My parents are coming out to Bangkok pretty soon to visit, and although they're on a package tour I'm still hoping to spend some time with them, especially I was hoping to take them out to some of the restaurants I particularly like, with swanky decor and all that jazz. And to have cocktails on the rooftop bar at the top of the Banyan Tree Hotel, round the corner. (72nd floor, iirc, with fantastic views out over the city). Except - now I've started Atkins, that's going to be distinctly tricky for me!

Mauvais - dice handbag sounds AWESOME!

Incidentally, upon rereading my post I sound rather bitter - mostly I just enjoy being me and doing my thing, but my headmistress made some remark earlier in the week about my "eccentricity" that I guess must have rankled more than I realised. (Apparently turning up at the airport in a full, ankle-length skirt with a rather antiquated straw hat on my head and a mewling cat box made quite the impression. Particularly the hat, for some reason - but, honestly, I like hats, and where the devil else is one supposed to carry it? Easiest on your head! Takes up no luggage space that way!

Ah well. Anyway, how is everyone doing? Hope you have fun weekends, wherever in the world you may be! I'm a trifle disheartened by the fact that so far I haven't lost any weight on Atkins - I'm wondering if it's because of my Polycystic Ovary Syndrome? Maybe? Or maybe I just need to cut out all the cheese and cream? Difficult to judge. (I was thinking that it would be a good idea to eat the cheese and cream to compensate for not being able to drink skimmed milk - I do try to think about calcium. But maybe not. God. Come ON, body! Sort yourself out!)

gaia2094
01-19-2008, 04:16 PM
broadabroad- I know how you feel, I was diagnosed with PCOS at twelve and only just now decided to do something about it. It is a pain most days, but a lot easier to live with than I thought at first (again, at twelve, what isn't a life-or-death experience?)

My weekend is fabulous already. Supposed to pick up my sister, but her flights got cancelled and she's stranded in Atlanta. My Internet's been out since yesterday, so I'm in a coffee shop typing this up. It's raining and so windy that I had to drive the 20 miles from home to town averaging 45 mph, which upset the people behind me. Oh well. At least yesterday I got to look at the kitten I hope to be getting, cute little black thing with white stocking feet and a white chest. Don't know if its a boy or a girl, but I'm pulling for a girl. Less angry pet owners that way. ^_^

Reading over that, it sounds very whiny. So good things that happened today are that I got my proctor approved for my exams for my classes, and on time so I wasn't kicked out of the class (did a dance in my chair at that). Also I'm spending some time with my younger sister, and we're going to get her a pizza and me a diet dish from the Chinese place before we go back home.

Heidijn
01-19-2008, 09:15 PM
Well, another Saturday night on my own. This week has not gone well, eating or exercise wise, but this morning I ran a 5K and did a comendable (sp?) job of it. 11:08 per mile, which is ok considering I haven't run but 3 times in the last month. It was challenging, but doable, so I am heartened that this is a good way to start a brand new year.

My running buddy and I are looking toward a 25K in May (15 miles!). We've run several half-marathons so this would be the longest distance yet. With that under our belts (and a few less pounds of butter toffee peanuts!), we will consider making a full-marathon attempt in October. I hope to do so. It would mean I would have completed a marathon just before turning 40 and that seems like a great accomplishment.

I did not weigh-in this morning, but tomorrow plan to get back on track with eating well. Have a chicken thawing for a-roastin' tomorrow.

One notable item this week was that for the first time in 20 years, I completely forgot the anniversary of the first date I went one with my husband. It was Wednesday and it just never crossed my mind at all. My phone wasn't working and when I validated the replacement on Thursday morning, he had left me a sad-sounding voice mail on Wednesday. A few of my friend think this is a really good thing, shows I'm getting over him etc. But I do feel a bit guilty about it. It's hard to think that something I've been so happy and proud about for half of my life can just slip by me without notice.

Makes me wonder who I am now...? Ah, I love wallowing in the existential rhetorical questions.

Enygirl
01-21-2008, 04:05 PM
Well girls - I sabotaged myself the last 2 days before my weekly weigh in - so I'm down only a pound this week :( But at least I'm down!

Maybe i should just start weighing in on Wednesdays :rofl: We'll see how this week goes. I'm going to get more workouts in this week... once a week just isn't enough! I need to step it up a bunch to - I have a 5K race I'm walking in on Saturday. My goal is to finish in under 45 mins... but that's not going to happen if I keep stuffing myself with a ton of carbs and not working it off or training at all.

So no more sabotaging - time to step up - I want to beat my Super Bowl goal this week instead of next - and then I can meet my Valentine's Day and St. patrick's day goals with ease. :D

Alright - time to go and get some more work done. TTFN! :dust: for all

gaia2094
01-22-2008, 11:02 AM
Gotta love the dust!

I actually slept so much yesterday that I didn't eat lunch. I wasn't in the greatest mood, either, snapping at everyone because I couldn't sleep well with my niece and nephew screaming in the next room. I feel bad about it now, though, they're preschoolers, what else are they going to do?

Weigh-in in 3 days, haven't exercised at all, got up 2 1/2 hours late today. Just now made my breakfast and am about to eat it before diving headfirst into my schoolwork. Crossing my fingers that I get caught up today on everything.

Zen Pharmacy
01-22-2008, 08:51 PM
Oh man, I've figured out one of my weak points. Canceled classes.

The slack of going from a 9-5 lectures/lab to only one lecture from 9-10:30 with a whole day off puts me into a slack mentality.

Went out for lunch, went to the movies (curse you peanut butter m&ms), went to a friends for ridiculously tasty chicken and dumplings dinner.

Not a bit of exercise.

Bah. Today is fail.

(That's okay, I have tomorrow.)

Enygirl
01-23-2008, 02:45 PM
Zen - get back on the wagon! here's some :dust: for you too!

I'm back - I've wroked out the last 2 days - I have a 5K this weekend - things are good. I was back down to #180.4 this morning - although it may have been a fluke but I'm not sure. ;) I changed my tickers to reference it though - I needed something positvie to look at.

Wanttolosealot
01-25-2008, 09:27 AM
Hi everyone! Sorry I did not check in much last week, but here I am wishing everyone a Happy and successful Friday. I have been quit now for Two weeks, three days, 22 hours, 29 minutes and 56 seconds. 179 cigarettes not smoked, saving $71.32. Life saved: 14 hours, 55 minutes.
and even more exciting news to share I am down 4 more pounds this week. I guess the workouts are paying off.!
Enygirl I am stuffing my pockets full of your will power dust and thanks for sharing.
Hugs to all
Virginia

MangoKitty
01-25-2008, 09:57 AM
ug, it seems like i have two weeks good and two weeks bad. I do realy good, exorcise every day, eat at or below my calories, and then snap, I binge, stop exorcising, lazy lazy lazy. then i go, oh ****! and go back to being a good girl. I neeeeeeed to break this cycle... any advice girls?

gaia2094
01-25-2008, 11:52 AM
I know how you feel. I lost 5 lbs the first week, nothing last week, then I'm up 2 more lbs this week. Not cool. Just means I need to get back to over organizing myself and following my exercise times between schoolwork.

Oh yea, probably no more Taco Bell too...

mauvaisroux
01-26-2008, 10:35 PM
Hey everyone! :wave:

Hope you are all enjoying the weekend. :)

Well, now I've done it . . . I have committed myself to performing at a bellydance charity fundraiser in the spring! :yikes: So now I really have to practice and get back into it - talk about motivation! :lol:

MangoKitty
01-28-2008, 02:13 PM
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE ::bouncebouncebounce:: WE GOT AN APPARTMENT!!! for the last year me and my husband have been living with my mother inlaw. thankfully we get along realy well and it hasnt been much of a problem, but HORRAY! Our own place! I am SO FREAKING EXCITED! and this means less trigger foods around, and more veggies. YAY!

mauvaisroux
01-28-2008, 05:39 PM
Mangokitty - congratulations on the apartment! :cb:

I won't be able to long on for a couple of days as DH is tearing the office apart and reorganizing everything including our computers. :(

Hope you all have a great week!

Enygirl
01-28-2008, 06:32 PM
so is anyone else having a really tough time right now? For some reason I can't get back under control! I binged ALL week last week - I'm up to #183.8 as of yesterday. I just need to get back into things. I did better today and I'm going to get a work out in tonight.

:dust: for the week - and :hug: for support.